Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 168 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 168 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


tended school and worked on the farm until
thirteen years of age, but his mother's death
caused the family to be entirely broken up and
he sought farm work in the neighborhood.
This he easily obtained, as he was honest and
industrious, and one of the farms on which he
labored as a boy, tired and weary at times,
is the very one of which he is now the owner.
For fifteen years he worked by the month for
neighboring farmers, and as necessity taught
him frugality, he saved his money, so that
when he was ready to purchase a farm for him-
self he had the means with which to do it. In
the meantime he had become attached to the
estimable young lady whom he married on
Feb. 28, 1889, Miss Alverda Blanche Edie, who
was reared and educated in Hopewell township,
a daughter of John and Sarah (Sutton) Edie
(both deceased). Her father was a well-known
carpenter at Stewartstown. Mrs. Fulton was
the third in a family of five children, the others
being: Thomas, deceased; William, of Hope-
well township ; Margaret, Mrs. Jack Bowman,
of Hopewell township ; and Miss Grace.

Following his marriage, Mr. Fulton farmed
for six years for his uncle, James Fulton, and
then bought a tract of sixty-eight acres, known
as the "Pleasant Grove Farm." On this he re-
mained for two years, and then sold it and pur-
chased his present farm, which he has con-
verted into one of the most comfortable homes
in the township. He carries on a general line
of farming, raises stock and does some dairy-
ing — living in fact as a well-to-do typical in-
dependent American agriculturist.

Mr. and Mrs. Fulton have two children,
namely: Maynard M., who was born July 4,
1890; and Helen Lora, born April i, 1892. Mr.
Fulton and family attend the Hopewell Pres-
byterian Church. In politics he is a Repub-



BIOGRAPHICAL



879



lican, and on various occasions has served in
township offices.

GEORGE M. PARR, of York, whose
place of business is conveniently located at No.
606 South Queen street, was born Sept. 17,
1853, in Penn township, Lancaster county, soti
of George Michael and Jane (Reber) Parr.

John Parr, the grandfather of our subject,
died in Penn township, where he had been a
farmer, and kept a tavern on his farm. This
tavern was well known for many years, and
was located on the Baltimore pike, about one
mile from Hanover, at the forks of the old
Black Rock road. John Parr married a Miss
Brouthers, of Irish extraction.

George Michael Parr, the father of George
M., was born at Littlestown, and followed
farming all of his life. He married Jane Re-
ber, and located on a farm in Penn township,
where he died Aug. 16, 1886, in the faith of the
Lutheran Church. In politics he was a Dem-
ocrat. The children born to George Michael
and Jane (Reber) Parr, besides George M ,
the subject of our sketch, were as follows :
Louisa, who married Daniel Swartzback, of
Hanover; Angeline, deceased; Valentine D.,
of York; and John R., of Reading, Pennsyl-
vania.

George M. Parr grew to manhood on the
home farm, and attended the township schools
until seventeen years of age. He remained
with his father until nineteen, and then learned
the cigarmaking business in Hanover, which he
followed until 1875. He then located in York,
where he followed his business for sixteen
years, being with Albert Gallatin, a cigar man-
ufacturer. Mr. Parr learned the barber busi-
ness with Ebeck & Remdel, and at times worked
as a helper at odd jobs. In 1887 he started in
business for himself on South Queen street,
locating at his present place in October, 1904.
Mr. Parr is a member of the Knights of the
Golden Eagle, No. 182. In political faith he
is a stanch Democrat.but has never sought pub-
lic office. He was reared in the faith of the
Lutheran Church.

On April 26, 1877, Mr. Parr was united
in marriage with Miss Lydia Ann Walter, born
in Nefftown, daughter of John J. and Barbara
Elizabeth (Baughman) Walter, both of whom
are deceased. Mrs. Parr's parents were na-
tives of Germany, who located in York, where
they were married. Mr. Walter learned his



trade with a Mr. Ball, and worked at shoe-
making for several years in Philadelphia, and
then returned to York, after which he located
in Nefftown. They died at theiir home on
Queen street, in York, where they had located
in 1869. John Baughman, an uncle of Mrs.
Parr, was a soldier in the Civil war, and was
captured by the Confederates, dying in Libby
prison.

The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Parr
are as follows : George Henry, the eldest,
married Miss Margaret Frey; Mabel mar-
ried William Wells, of York; Charles A.,
a barber, is at home; Ivan W. lives at Balti-
more; Royal M., Chester M. and Helen C, are
at home ; and Florence L. is deceased.

J. HARVEY ANDERSON, of East Hope-
well township, York Co., Pa., is a descendant
of James Anderson who emigrated from the
Emerald Isle to the United States and set-
tled at an early day in what is now East Hope-
well township.

Andrew Anderson, the grandfather of J.
Harvey, son of the emigrant, was born on the
Keesey farm, and married a Miss Wallace, a
descendant of the old Wallace family of this
section. Andrew Anderson located on what
is now the Wilson Keesey farm in East Hope-
well township, and there spent his life, en-
gaged in farming; there also he and his wife
died, firm in the faith of the Presbyterian
Church. In political faith Mr. Anderson was
a Whig. His children were : James, who died
in Peach Bottom township, married (first) Sa-
billa Morrison, and (second) Mary Wallace;
Robert, who died in Peach Bottom township,
was a miller and farmer, and married Miss
Adeline McQuigley, who died aged eighty-
seven years ; Margaret married James Maffatt,
and died at Muddy Creek Forks; William is
mentioned below ; Jennie is deceased ; Andrew,
who died in the grandfather's homestead, mar-
ried (first) Isabella McAIister, and (second)
Eliza Beard.

William Anderson was born on the home
farm in 1805, received a fair education, and
M-as reared to the life of an agriculturist. He
married Miss Eleanor L. Morrison, and after-
ward located on the farm now owned by J.
Harvey Anderson. There he died in Septem-
ber, 1862, aged fifty-seven years, his wife sur-
viving him until Jan. 5, 1879. Mr. Anderson
was ruling elder in the Center Presbyterian



88o



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Church for over thirty years. In pohtics he
was first a Whig and then a Republican, and
held several township offices. His children were
Ellen Ann, widow of William S. Wilson, of
East Hopewell township ; Mary Jane, who mar-
ried Joseph Liggett, of Fawn township; An-
drew Wallace, deceased; Margaret W., Mrs.
William C. Collins, who removed to Logan,
Ohio, thence to Iowa and finally to Kansas,
their present home; J. Harvey; and Esther E.
and Sabilla A., both unmarried and residing in
Des Moines, Iowa.

J. Harvey Anderson was born on the farm
which he now owns. May 28, 1844, and was
educated in the township schools, his first
teachers being Lucretia Prall and John Fulton.
The boy left school at the age of sixteen years,
his last teacher being J. T. Wilson. Mr. An-
derson enlisted at the outbreak of the war in
Company K, 50th Pa. Militia, as an emergency
man during the campaign of Gettysburg, and
after serving three months was discharged. He
re-enlisted in July, 1864, in Company E, 194th
P. V. I., Capt. G. F. Ross, for 100 days. He
served sixty days, and then enlisted in Com-
pany L, 9th Cav., Capt. George F. Smith, un-
der Col. Thomas Jorden, Kilpatrick's division,
and saw service at South River,March 14,1865.
his regiment also losing heavily at Benton-
ville and a number of smaller engagements.
For a time Mr. Anderson was employed as a
scout, and, on one occasion while foraging for
horses, with twenty-three others, was nearly
cut off. Mr. Anderson was discharged at Lex-
ington, N. C, at the close of the war. On the
day of Johnston's surrender, Mr. Anderson was
detailed one of Sherman's escort to receive the
surrender.

At the close of the war Mr. Anderson re-
turned to the homestead and there engaged
in farming. He was married Feb. 24, 1866,
to Miss Jane Anne Hyson, daughter of John
(deceased) and Margaret (Miller) Hyson,
After the death of his mother, Mr. Anderson
purchased the home place, consisting of ninety-
four acres in two tracts, and here he has since
remained engaged in general farming, his
crops being among the finest in the township.
He and his family are members of the Round
Hill Presbyterian Church, which he joined over
thirty years ago. He has been elder for the
past twelve years, was superintendent of the
Sabbath-school for two years, assistant for two
years, and a teacher for eight years. He was



formerly a member of the Center Presbyterian
Church. In politics he is a stanch Republican.
He was a charter member of Private E. Mor-
rison G. A. R. Post, Stewartstown ; is also
a member of the Society of the Ninth Cavalry.
Mr. Anderson's children are as follows : Will-
iam C, of Norristown, married Ida Klinger;
John E., of Hopewell township, married Irena
Payne; and Clayton J. H., Margaret E. and
Robert M. are at home.

HENRY HURST operates a successful
draying and general transfer line in the city
of York, and has developed a most flourishing
enterprise through his energy, courtesy and
able management, being prompt and reliable in
his business transactions. He now utilizes
twelve teams, with the requisite complement of
drays and trucks, and he gives employment to
about fifteen men the greater portion of the
time. Mr. Hurst is a native of York county,
having been born on the homestead farm, in
Spring Garden township, Dec. 22, 1862, son of
Henry and Louisa (KnoUman) Hurst, the
former of whom was born in Germany and
the latter in York county, where their marriage
was solemnized, the father having left the
Fatherland when a young man and located in
York county soon after his emigration to
America. After his marriage he settled on a
farm in Spring Garden township, becoming
one of the prosperous and highly esteemed
agriculturists of that part of the county. Both
parents are living I'etired in the city of York.
The father is a Democrat in political belief, and
he and his wife are members of the United
Brethren Church. Besides the immediate sub-
ject of this sketch, the following children were
born to Henry and Louisa (Knollman) Hurst:
Sarah (single); Samuel; Levi; Clara, mar-
ried to George Jones, who lives in York;
Charles and Elizabeth, who are residents of
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.

Henry Hurst, Jr., the immediate subject of
this review, passed his boyhood days in the
homestead farm, in whose work he early be-
gan to lend his aid, while his educational ad-
vantages were such as were offered by the pub-
lic schools of the locality. After leaving school
he continued to assist his father in the work
and management of the home farm until he had
attained the age of eighteen years, and there-
after he was engaged in the Billmyer &
Small car shops, then with the York



BIOGRAPHICAL



88 1



Transfer Company, and still later -with
the P. A. & S. Small Hardware Com-
pan)^ He was thus employed until
1885, when he came to York and estab-
lished his present business, which had a modest
inception, as his financial resources were very
limited and his winning of independent success
rested solely upon his individual exertions. He
devoted himself assiduously to the work in
hand, giving the best possible service and thus
retaining such patronage as he secured, while
his reputation for reliability grew apace and
resulted in his being able to build up his pres-
ent flourishing enterprise. He has been lo-
cated in his present quarters, on North George
street, since 1889. In politics Mr. Hurst is a.
stanch Democrat, and while he has never
sought ofirce, has served for three years as a
member of the school board of his district while
residing in Spring Garden township. He is
affiliated with the Junior Order of United.
American Mechanics and the Improved Order
of Heptasophs.

On Oct. 30, 1884, Mr. Hurst was united
in marriage to Miss Louise Honsermeyer, of
York, and they have had the following chil-
dren : Sarah E., Isabelle, Mary (deceased),.
William E. and Katie May. Mrs. Hurst is a.
member of the Lutheran Church.

PETER F. RAAB, a farmer of York
township, of stanch old pioneer stock, was born
on the old homestead farm in that township,
Dec. 6, 1854, son of Aaron, and grandson of
Peter Raab. His paternal great-grandfather-
was numbered among the early settlers of York
county, of German lineage. Unfortunately
there is available nothing definite in regard tO'
his career or his genealogj^ though it is known,
that he became one of the influential men in
the pioneer communit)^ His descendants in
York county have well upheld the standard of
the honored name, aiding in the material and
civic progress and upbuilding of this section.

Peter Raab, grandfather of our subject, was
born in York count}', Aug. 24, 1805, and he
became one of the representative farmers of
York township, where he purchased a consid-
erable tract of land, upon which he continued
to reside until his death. While working in
the woods he cut his foot severely and death
resulted Sept. 14, 1863, when he was aged
fifty-eight years and twenty-one days. His
wife, whose maiden name was Catherine Frey,



was born in York township, July 25, 1804,
and died Sept. 15, 1882, at the age of seventy-
eight years, one month and twenty days. Both
were earnest and faithful members of the Re-
formed Church at Dallastown. and he assisted
materially in the erection of the church build-
ing. Two fine memorial stones mark the
last resting place of these worthy pioneers, in
the cemetery at Dallastown. Of their children
Aaron is mentioned in full below ; Henry died
in York township, in 1904, and is buried in the
cemetery at Freysville; Benjamin died in Dal-
lastown, and his remains rest in the_ United!
Brethren church cemetery, in that place ; Leah
became the wife of Joseph Fix, and both died
in Iowa; Sarah is the wife of Ephraim Hart-
man, of Springfield township; Lydia, the wife
of Joseph Sechrist, died in York township ;
Catherine is the wife of Elias Gable, of Red
Lion; and Amanda is the wife of William Tay-
lor, of Dallastown.

Aaron Raab, son of Peter, was born m
York township, JNIarch 17, 1827, and was
there reared to manhood, receiving a good com-
mon-school education, and being conversant
with both the English and German languages,
the latter of which had been commonly spoken
by his parents. He assisted in the w'ork of the
home farm until his marriage to Miss Rebecca
Blouse, daughter of ^Michael Blouse, of Wind-
sor township, A\here she was bom and reared.
After his marriage Mr. Raab located near Dal-
lastown, York township, where he became the
OA\ner of forty acres of land, and there he
followed farming and trucking. To his first
marriage were born two children: William H.,
a cigar manufacturer of Dallastown, who mar-
ried Mary Olp; and Peter F. Aaron Raab-
married (second; Miss Leah Hartman, daugh-
ter of George Hartman, of York township, and
a representative of one of the oldest families
in the county. She was born April 11, 1827,^
and died Oct. 20, 1903, at the age of seventy-
six years, six months and nine days. Of the
children of the second union, George W., who
married Aliss Emma Jane Geesey, is a carpen-
ter and builder by vocation and resides in Dal-
lastQwn; and Ulysses is a cigarmaker in Yorkv
and is unmarried. Aaron Raab, the honored
father, was summoned into eternal rest Feb.
21, 1902, at the age of seventy-four years,
eleven months and four days, and both he
and his second wife are interred in the Union
cemeterv in Dallastown.



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Peter F. Raab was reared to the discipline
of the home farm, and continued to attend the
common schools of York township until he
had attained the age of sixteen years, while
he remained with his father, associated in the
work and management of the farm, until his
jnarriage, in 1882, after which he engaged in
the same line of enterprise on his own account.
Upon the death of his honored father he fell
lieir to a portion of the old homestead, and by
purchasing the interests of the other heirs he
came into sole possession of the property upon
which he has since continued to reside, the
place being one of the most valuable and at-
tractive in this section of the county. It is
located about one mile from Dallastown, and
is improved with a good residence and other
substantial buildings. Mr. Raab is a public-
spirited citizen and enterprising business man.
In politics he gives support to the Republican
^arty, and his religious connection is with the
Dallastown Reformed Church, and he has held
in the same the office of deacon. His wife also
belongs to this Church.

Mr. Raab was united in marriage to Miss
Emma Jane McDowell, wdio was born in
Springfield township, daughter of James and
Elizabeth (Markey) McDowell. James Mc-
Dowell was born in Springfield township, Oct.
23, 1834, son of Samuel, the latter born in
Chanceford township. Samuel McDowell be-
came a farmer of Spring-field township, and
later removed to York township, where he pur-
chased a fine tract of 145 acres, and where he
continued to reside until his death. He mar-
ried Anna Mary, daughter of John Zinn, and
both died in York township, and are interred
in the Union cemetery at Dallastown. Their
children were: John, William, James, Mar-
garet, Susan, Isaac and Mary. James Mc-
Dowell is one of the representative farmers of
York township, owning and operating a fine
farm, on the Chanceford pike, and being one
■of the influential men of the locality. The names
of his children are as follows : Emma Jane
(deceased wife of our subject), Anna, Mary,
David (deceased), Sarah, James, Jr., and
Lorinda. When Mrs. Raab died, her remains
were interred in the Union cemetery at Dallas-
town. Of the children, (i) James W., born
July 23, 1884, secured his rudimentary educa-
tion in the public schools of York township,
and at the age of fourteen entered the Dallas-
town high school, where he was graduated as



a member of the class of 1900. He then took
a course in the State Normal School at Millers-
ville, and thereafter was a successful teacher
in the public schools of his native county for
three terms. On April 7, 1904, he accepted
his present clerical position in the First Na-
tional Bank of Dallastown. (2) Mazzie May,
born in October, 1886, remains with her
father. (3) Emma Jane died at the age of
three months, and was buried in York town-
ship.

WILLIAM HILT, a farmer and dairyman
in Hellam township, was born on the Silas Det-
wiler farm Feb. 10, 1865. During his boyhood
his father lived in Wrightsville, and he at-
tended school there until he was about fifteen
years of age, but after that time he was put
out to work among neighboring farmers and
has been constantl}- at work since.

The first summer Mr. Hilt worked away
from home his wages consisted of a pair of two
dollar boots which he earned 'from George
Gohn, and of which he was very proud. While
working at berry picking for Mr. Kaufifelt he
received five cents an hour, cjuite an increase
over his beginning. During the time he was
employed there, Mr. Kauffelt was terribly
burned by a premature blast of powder, and
the boy took care of him for twenty-one con-
secutive nights. Always industrious, Mr. Hilt
at various times was employed in the planing
mill of Sourbach & Dunden ; as the driver of a
market wagon to Columbia, when he would
often start at midnight, sell out and return by
noon and work till evening; at the furnace of
Shaw, Steary & Denny; at ice cutting during
the winters; and in the quarries, which last
became his settled occupation for many years.
When he was working at the furnace, it was
common for him to go to work Sunday noon
and not return home until the following Sat-
urday night. When engaged in ice cutting, he
did that work at nights and did cjuarrying by
day, once working for 100 hours in a week. In
everything he was faithful to an extreme, and
an untiring- worker, and his services were al-
ways in demand.

In March, 1893, Mr. Hilt moved from
Wrightsville, where he had been for five
years engaged in the quarries, and settled on
his present farm home, where for the first four
years he worked on wages, then for a half in-
terest for nearly two years, and then rented it



BIOGRAPHICAL



until in the spring of 1902 he was able to pur-
chase the place. It consists of fifty-six acres,
formerly part of the McConkey estate. The
house was built by the McConkeys, but the
barn was put up by Mr. Hilt himself, not long-
after he bought the farm. Though largely
covered with timber when he took it, he soon
cleared the place. He is engaged in general
farming, and since the fall of 1904 has been
carrying on a dairy in York.

On Oct. 9, 1884, Mr. Hilt was married to
Miss. Annie Fry, born in Lower Windsor town-
ship, Aug. 9, 1865, daughter of Henry and
Catherine (Cupp) Fry. Mr. Cupp and his
wife are both living and are farming people.
The children born to William and Annie Hilt
were five in number, namely : Maggie Ma)-,
Virgie, Flora, Mary and Joseph. Mr. Hilt is
a member of the Wrightsville Evangelical
Church, while in political matters he is a Re-
publican.

While Mr. Hilt's life might seem a prosaic
record of ceaselsss toil, it has been marked by
a number of hairbreadth escapes from death
or injury, which are almost sensational. On
one occasion while driving a cinder cart at the
furnace, his horse backed over a bank with him
into the Susquehanna river thirty feet below.
He stuck to his wagon and came out unin-
jured, while if he had tried to jump it would
have meant certain injury on the red hot cinder
beds. At another time he fell from the top
of the KauiTelt quari-y to the bottom, narrowly
escaping being crushed by a stone that weighed
a ton falling on top of him. The fall, however,
injured him severely, and he was obliged to use
crutches for sonie time. Yet another accident
at the furnaces was the falling of some red hot
cinders into Mr. Hilt's shoe and as he could
not immediately get the shoe off he jumped
twelve feet down into a pool of water. This
filled the shoe with steam and caused his foot
to swell until the shoe had to be cut off, but
Mr. Hilt did not leave work because of his
injury, being of a truly spartan mold. His
faithfulness, industry and endurance are well
known, and he has the name of being the most
energetic worker in that section.

REUBEN H. WELLER, a well-known
contractor and builder of Wrightsville, has
spent the greater part of his life there.

The Weller family has been settled in this
country for two hundred years, and boasts an-



cestors who served in the Revolution and the
War of 1 812. It is believed that the Wellers
settled originally along the Delaware river, and
the maternal ancestors made a home in Berks
county, near Reading. John Weller, grand-
father of Reuben H., was a farmer of Fred-
erick county, Md., and died when his son
Reuben was an infant.

Reuben Weller was born in Frederick
county, Md., and lived many years in Balti-
more. He moved to Wrightsville in 1855, a"<J
there his death occurred in 1863. His wife.
Anna Reifsnyder,was also a native of Frederick
county, Md., daughter of John Reifsnyder,
who married a Smith; both her parents died
when she was an infant. Mrs. Weller is still
living, aged eighty-six years. The children of
Mr. and Mrs. Reuben Weller were as follows :
Reuben H., mentioned below; John Robert, of
Wrightsville, a sketch of whom appears else-
where; Emma Matilda, wife of Charles D.
Marquette, of Carlisle; Anna, wife of Ellis
Carlton Schindel, of York; and others, de-
ceased.

Reuben H. Weller was born in Baltimore,
Md., April 2, 1846, and his home was in that
city until he was nine years old. He attended
school in Baltimore, and after the family re-
moved to Wrightsville went to school there
for a time. His father's death obliged him to
leave school when he was only thirteen, but
he studied at home, and learned much by ob-
servation and thought even when he was hard
at work all day. His first position was as clerk
in a store in Wrightsville, but this proved dis-
tasteful to a mindrwith a strong bent for con-
structive work. He enlisted, Sept. 3, 1864, in
the 20th New York Independent Battery, and
served one year. He received his discharge In
New York City in August, 1865. He was
stationed at different points during the war,



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 168 of 201)