Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 169 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 169 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


detailed much of the time for provost duty.

After the war Mr. Weller returned home
for a time, and then went to \Villiamsport,
where he worked for seven or eight years in a
planing-mill. His health failing, he came back
home again, married, and engaged in planing-
mill work and house building- on his own ac-
count, building and selling many houses. He
has also put up many houses for other people,
and does a large and increasing business. His
interests have been in Wrightsville since the
early seventies.

Mr. Weller married, in 1876, Elmira Zor-



884



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY. PENNSYLVANIA



baugh, who was born and Ijronglit up in
Wrightsville. Her father, Solomon Zorbaugh,
was a well-known builder of York county, and
married Matilda Wertz. Neither is now living.
Mr. and Mrs. Weller went to housekeeping at
once in Wrightsville, where their home has
been ever since. Their children are as follows :
Herbert and Marshall, at home; Tillie, Mrs.
Morris Poet, of York; and Jennie and Sidney,
at home. The family attend the Presbyterian
Church. Mr. Weller is a Democrat in politics,
and has served as school director for three
years. He is a member of Lieut. R. W. Smith
Post, No. 270, G. A. R., Wrightsville, and of
Riverside Lodge, No. 503, F. &. A. M.,
Wrightsville, joining the latter order at Wil-
liamsport in 1870. Air. Weller is a man of
ability, and is esteemed in the community,
•where he has a wide acquaintance.

CHARLES WAGNER, M. D., a practic-
ing physician of the Homeopathic school, at
Hanover, Pa., is a native of Middletown, Dau-
phin Co., Pa., born Sept. i, 1867, son of Fred-
erick and Leah (Peters) Wagner. His pa-
ternal lineage is German ; on his mother's side
he is of English descent.

John Wagner, the Doctor's great-grand-
father, was a native of Maryland, but in later
life came to Pennsylvania. Upon his removal
to the Keystone State he located in the county
of Dauphin. In politics he was a Whig; by
occupation a farmer. His son, also named
John,was born during his parents' residence in
their native State of Maryland, where he ac-
quired his education in the common schools and
at one of the Maryland academies. Meanwhile
he worked on his father's farm and acquired an
intimate knowledge of agriculture. Thus
equipped he took to the soil at the conclusion
of his school life and for many years followed
farming, retiring in his later years. His death
occurred in 1876. Mr. Wagner was a Repub-
lican in politics, and in religion an active and
faithful member of the United Brethren
Church. He and his wife had eight children :
Frederick, father of Dr. Charles Wagner;
Anna, wife of Solomon Swartz; John; Sarah,
wife of David Roop; Elizabeth, wife of Jacob
Gingerich; Mary, wife of David Eshenour;
Catherine, living ; and Caroline, deceased.

Frederick Wagner was born in Dauphin
county in 1830. He obtained a good common-
school education and entered the profession of
teaching, with which he retained his connec-



tion for twelve years. Following this he farmed
for a number of years, and then moved to Mid-
dletown to become superintendent of the Amer-
ican Tube & Iron Works. He held this position
for ten years and then became proprietor of a
coal yard, jointly conducting it and a whole-
sale and retail bakery for eight years, when
he retired. Mr. Wagner is an active local Re-
publican politician and has held some municipal
offices. His family numbered eight children :
Abraham L. ; John ; William ; Charles ; Simon ;
Elizabeth, wife of John Klinger; Emma, wife
of Edward Bierly; and Anna, wife of Frank
Douglas.

Charles Wagner acquired the rudiments of
his education in the public schools and then
entered Lebanon Valley College, where he com-
pleted the four years' course of study and en-
tered the profession of teaching. He followed
this calling for one year at Middletown and
then entered upon a course of reading medicine.
After three years of study he graduated from
Hahnemann Medical College, at Philadelphia.
Before entering- upon the practice of his chosen
profession, however, the Doctor took three
special additional courses, and then located at
Middletown, where he remained for a year.
Then he came to Hanover and located, and he
has since built up a good and substantial prac-
tice and has made himself a popular and re-
spected citizen of his adopted town. He is a
member of the Golden Eagles, Knights of Py-
thias, Mystic Chain, and Junior Order United
American Mechanics, at Middletown. In
politics he is a stanch Republican.

On June 4, 1895, Dr. Wagner married
Beulah, daughter of Napoleon B. Carver. They
have had three children: Dorothy (deceased),
Frederick C. and Charles Christopher.

HENRY BRUBAKER, one of the enter-
prising business men of York, Pa., who, since
1900, has been engaged in the manufacture of
sash, doors and blinds, was born Nov. 26,
1866, son of Samuel and Rebecca (Frey) Bru-
baker.

Samuel Brubaker was born in Windsor,
but now carries on farming in Chanceford
township. He married Rebecca Frey, and they
have had these children : Milton, of York ;
George; Mary, the wife of George Elfner, of
Chanceford township; William; Henry, the
subject of this sketch; Matilda, the wife of
Edward Olewiler; and Eleanor.

Henry Brubaker spent his school days in



BIOGRAPHICAL



885



-Chanceford township, attending school until
seventeen years of age. He learned the car-
penter's trade in his native township, where he
spent three years,after which he located in York
working for different firms until 1900, when he
embarked in business for himself, starting with
a hand lathe, and a 3-horse power engine.
Strict attention to business and Mr. Brubaker's
fine personal management, enabled him to build
a three-story shop, where he is now doing a
large business. He has a 40-horse power boiler
and a 25-horse power engine, and his shop is
fitted with all the latest improvements in ma-
chinery. Mr. Biaibaker is also a skilled pat-
tern maker, and employs fifteen skilled work-
men in his planing mill. He is now working in
.Codorus township, \\'here he employs a gang
of six men.

In 1894 Mr. Brubaker married Mina Mary
Ziegler, claughter of George Ziegler, and these
children have been born to this union : Elthan-
na May, Lester K., Walter Raymond, Bernard
and Dorothy. In politics Mr. Brubaker is a
Republican. In religious faith he is a Lutheran.
He and his family reside in their pleasant home
at No. 926 West King street, York.

JOHN F. SHERMAN, who resides on his
farm of seventy-eight acres in Monaghan town-
ship, was born Feb. 19, 1852, in Berks county.
Pa., son of Isaac and Sarah Sherman, and is
of German descent.

Isaac Sherman was a farmer at Sinking
Spring, Berks county. He died in 1882, aged
seventy-two years, his wife surviving until
about 1892, when she passed away aged eighty-
two years. Nine children were born to this
worthy couple, namely : Aaron, Catherine, Het-
.tie, Henry (deceased), Mary, John F., James,
Isaac and Elizabeth. Mr. Sherman belonged
to the Reformed Church, while his wife was
a member of the Lutheran Church. In political
affairs he was identified with the Democratic
party.

J. F. Sherman was educated in the schools
of Berks county, attending up to the age of
eighteen years. Locating in Cumberland
county, he worked by the month on a farm and
later "learned the trade of blacksmith, for ten
years working at his trade in Shepherdstown,
that county. He then bought, in 1884, his pres-
ent farm of seventy-eight acres, which formerly
belonged to Judge Mosher.

In 1876 Mr. Sherman married Miss Eliza-



beth Mosher, daughter of Jeremiah ]\Iusher,
who was a brother of Judge Mosher, and nine
children have been born to the union : Rachel,
who married Ira Hart, and lives in Cumberland
county; Mabel, married to Ira Anderson, and
living in York county ; Rebecca, who married
Charles Miller, and lives in Cumberland coun-
ty; Russel; Pearl; John F., Jr.; Mary, who
died when two months old; and two who died
in infancy, unnamed.

Mr. Sherman is a stanch Democrat and has
held the office of school director. He is a mem-
ber of the Church of God, in which he is a
deacon and has been an elder. The members
of this family are very well known and are held
in high esteem in Monaghan township.

JAMES McCALL, foreman in the
Wrightsville limekilns, has been a resident of
that place since he was twenty years old. He
was born Jan. i, 1831, in Ballymacool, County
Donegal, Ireland.

His grandfather, James McCall, was a
farmer and lived near the seashoi-e in County
Donegal. His father, John, was a cooper by
trade, a well-to-do man, having his own horses,
cows, etc. He married Catherine Harvey and
lived all his life in County Donegal. James
was the oldest boy and went to school off and
on, in the intervals working in his father's
cooper shop and learning considerable of the
trade. James had the following brothers and
sisters : Catherine, two years his elder, who
married (first) a Mr. Hamilton, and (second)
John Snyder, and died in Allentown, Pa. ;
John, who was a cooper, and died in Philadel-
phia ; Daniel, who died in Conshohocken, Pa. ;
Ellen, who married Edward Gettigan, and died
in Allentown; Unity, who married a Mr. Gal-
lagher, and died in Philadelphia ; and Ann, who
married C. McCall, of Allentown. After her
husband's death Mrs. McCall, the mother of
this family, sold her home in Ireland, and came
to the United States to live with her children.
She soon became homesick, however, and re-
turned to Ireland hoping to buy back her prop-
erty. This she was unable to do, and so came
once more to this country, and spent her last
days at the home of her daughter in Allen-
town.

Catherine, elder sister of James McCall,
came to the LTnited States in 1842, and two
years later, James, then a lad of thirteen, fol-
lowed her example. He went to Liverpool,



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



where he expected to take passage on the "Ellen
McGoy." This proved to be a small vessel,
and was so overcrowded that he sailed instead
in the "Ivanhoe," a much larger vessel. His
change was fortunate in many ways, as the
"Ivanhoe" made port in New York sooner than
the "Ellen McGoy," which had sailed earlier.
He went at first to a cousin of his mother's,
James McCoy, in Philadelphia ; and then to the
home of an acc[uaintance, James Brogan, in
Chester county, Pa. He found employment
driving oxen, and later in the lime kilns of Mr.
Phillips, and remained in Chester county seven
years. He then came to Wrightsville, where
he was employed in the lime kilns in various
capacities until he became foreman, a position
he has ever since held. Mr. McCall enlisted
in 1862 in the Home Guards, and was on duty
near Hagerstown, Md., for a few months, and
then received his discharge.

In 1849 Mr. McCall married Catherine
Fitzpatrick, a native of County Galway, Ire-
land, who came to the United States as a
young girl and lived in Chester county until her
marriage. Her father was John Fitzpatrick,
a shoemaker, who lived and died in County
Galway. Mrs. McCall died July 10, 1894. She
was a member of the Roman Catholic Church,
as is her husband. Mr. McCall is a Democrat
in politics. He first built his home, and has
since built two other houses, and is the owner
of still another house, in town. Mr. McCall is
the father of the following children : ( i ) John
was born in Wrightsville, and went to school
there to Col. Magee ; he began railroading when
a young man, and is an engineer on the North-
ern Central railroad ; he married Mary An-
thony, and lives near Hanover. (2) Catherine
died young. (3) Daniel is a conductor on
the Pennsylvania railroad ; he married Sue
Koch, and lives in Columbia. (4) Sarah mar-
ried Barney Keys, of Camden, N. J. (5) Mar-
garet married (first) Alexander McManus, and
(second) Harry Luger; she lives in Philadel-
phia. (6) Mary is at home.

FRANK J. BECK, who is successfully
conducting the stage line between Loganville-
and York, was born in Springfield township,
this county, July 28, 1858, son of John F.
Beck.

Mr. Beck attended Bubb's school in Spring-
field township until he was sixteen years old,
and then learned the shoemaker's trarle, which



he followed four years. At the age of twenty-
one he went to Lancaster county, and was em-
ployed for three years at farming in Manor
township, at the end of that time returning to
his native home. On Oct. i, 1888, Mr. Beck
bought the stage line from Loganville to York,
from Daniel Raffensberger. Mr. Raffensber-
ger started this line with a small blind horse
and a small wagon. Today Mr. Beck drives a
four-horse team, and his large coach is al-
ways well filled with passengers on both trips.
Since he has been at this business he has missed
but few days, when the snow was drifted so
high that it was impossible for him to make his
way through.

On Dec. 16, 1888, Frank J. Beck married
Rosa E. Beck, daughter of Andrew and Cath-
erine (Bentz) Beck. Mrs. Beck was born in
Codorus township, where her parents, who are
farming people, still reside. She was one of
five children, her brother and sisters being:
Jacob H., Elizabeth, Ida and Amanda. Mr.
Beck bought his present home on Main street,
in Loganville, in February, 1889, and he has
since made many improvements. Two chil-
dren have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Beck,
Mary C. and Carrie E., both of whom are at-
tending school. In politics Mr. Beck is a Re-
publican, and he served the borough as
school director for nine years, and as council-
man three years. He is actively connected with
the Lutheran Church, at present serving as a
member of the council.

WATSON A. McLaughlin, who has
done much to further the development of
Delta, was born in Mifflin county, Pa., Feb. 14,
1842, son of John and Mary (Miller) Mc-
Laughlin. While he was still a boy his par-
ents mo\'ed to Dayton, Ohio, and there both
died, leaving six children — of whom Watson A.
was the eldest — to make their way in the world
Thus Watson McLaughlin was hardly more
than a lad when lie was thrown on his own re-
sources, but he started out bravelv. He went
back to Pennsylvania, secured employment as
a clerk with his uncle, Watson H. Miller, in
Lancaster, and for several years followed that
line of work, meantime improving every oppor-
tunity offered him for continuing his educa-
tion. In i860 he learned the milling trade,
which he followed for about ten years in
Conestoga township, Lancaster county, at the
same time giving considerable attention to the



BIOGRAPHICAL



culture of tobacco. In 1862, however, oc-
curred a break of one year, when he was in
the government service, but at the end of that
time he took up once more his accustomed oc-
cupations.

In 1874 Mr. McLaughhn ventured out in a
new hue, undertaking- the management of a
hotel in Gatchellville, York county, and for sev-
eral years continuing that business in Peach
Bottom and Lower Chance ford. In 1876 be-
gan his connection with the "Railroad House"
at Delta, now known as the ''Hotel Delta,"
while still later he became the proprietor of the
"Delta House," the present Auditorium. The
"Hotel Delta," of which he is now proprietor,
is one of the best known and most popular
hotels in the county, and Mr. McLaughlin pos-
sesses an unusually happy faculty of making
every guest feel at home.

While Mr. McLaughlin has been gaining
his enviable reputation as a host he has also
found time to do much in furthering the devel-
opment of the rich mineral deposits of lower
York county and the adjoining section of
Harford county, Md. The opening up of the
slate and other mineral lands there has added
greatly to the wealth of the section, and much
of Wiis progress has been due to Mt. Mc-
Laughlin'.s energy. He first engaged in slate
quarrying in 1879, in Delta, and later opened
a mine in Harford county, thereby giving much
impetus to the industry, although not reaping
as much profit himself as he had hoped. He
has not confined his attention to slate, how-
ever, but for many years has carried on general
explorations which have resulted for one thing
in the discovery in the Peach Bottom district of
a deposit of variegated green stone, which is
not surpassed anywhere in the country for
beauty of formation and strength.

The marriage of Watson A. McLaughlin
took place in 1864, when he was united with
Miss Elizabeth Moore. Seven children have
been born to them, but only two are living,
viz. : Daniel A., a merchant of Delta ; and
Nora O., who married Harry Garell and resides
in York.

GEORGE F. KRANTZ. Among the self-
made men of York, Pa., who have won their
way to success through their own industry and
strict attention to business, is George F.
Krantz, a native of Germany, born March 3,
1862, son of George F. Krantz, a laborer of
that country, and Maggie (Evert) Krantz.



Our subject has one sister, Margaret, who re-
sides in Germany.

George F. Krantz learned the weaving trade
m his native country. He was early left an
orphan, and worked at different farms until en-
tering the German army, from which he was
discharged one year afterward, on account
of his eyes. He came to America at the
age of twenty-one years, staying in New York
for one day, when he went to Baltimore, where
lie remained six years. Most of this time was
spent in railroading and at the carpenter trade.
In 1888 he came to York, and engagcfl in the
draying business, in which he has since con-
tinued very successfully. He erected a fine
house at No. 608 West College avenue in 1898,
where he and his family now reside. Mr.
Krantz married Miss Minnie Huber, born in
Germany in 1861, daughter of Ernest Huber.
who came to this country in 1865. To Mr. and
]\Irs. Krantz have been born : John F., who is
learning the printing trade with the York
Daily; Charles H., a messenger of the same
paper: George F., Ernest F. and Magdalena
Catherine. In politics Mr. Krantz is a Demo-
crat. The family attend St. John's Lutheran
Church.

JOSHUA E. FOUST, who was engaged in
agricultural operations for twenty-five years in
Springfield township, was born Aug. 16, 1841.

Mr. Foust attended the schools of Spring-
field township, being reared to manhood on the
home farm, which he left at the time of his
marriage, at the age of twenty-five years. He
married Mary Goodling, daughter of Jacob and
Catherinei (Overmiller) Goodling, and until
1904 resided on the farm in Springfield town-
ship, in that year removing to his present home
in the village of New Paradise, where he has
since resided. For some time he has engaged
in horse dealing in Paradise.

Mr. and Mrs. Foust have had children as
follows : Virgie is the wife of Frank Lehman,
of York. William Tell, proprietor of the "Lo-
ganville Hotel," is one of the capable young
business men of this section and one of the
most popular hotel keepers in York county ; he
married Ida Sprenkle, daughter of William and
Lydia (Strine) Sprenkle. Howard married
Elmira Bupp, and resides in York. Eli, who
married Mabel Lillie, is a dentist at Spring
Grove, being a graduate of the Baltimore Den-
tal College, class of 1901.

In politics Mr. I'oust is a Republican. He



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY; PENNSYLVANIA



was township supervisor for two terms and has
also served on the election hoard.

JEFFERSON MARTIN, of Monaghan
township, York county, was born July 29, 1840,
near Dillsburg, York county, son of Alexander
C. and Sarah (Lightfoot) Martin, the former
a native of Belfast, Ireland, and the latter of
York county.

Alexander C. ]\Iartin was born July 4, 1777,
and came to America in 1797. Prior to this
lie had clerked on a sailing vessel, making
seven trips across the Atlantic. He first settled
in the vicinity of Lake Erie, in Pennsylvania,
near Erie, and there married and reared a fam-
ily of children, of whom our subject knows
nothing. After the death of his first wife Mr.
Martin came to York- county, where he mar-
ried Sarah Lightfoot, who was born in 1798,
and their children were born as follows : Leslie
J., May 14, 1817; John H., Dec. 2, 1818 (died
Aug. 18, 1825); William C, Feb. 14, 1820;
a son, Sept. 9, 1821 (died June 18, 1822) ; Lu-
cinda, Dec. 9, 1822 (died Oct. 23, 1823) ; Cy-
rus, July 29, 1825; Cynthia A., Aug. 6, 1827;
Harriet, Sept. 13, 1829 (died April 7, 1890);
Catherine, Sept. 27, 1831 ; Alexander L.,
March 11, 1834; Henry L., Oct. 14, 1835 (died
Dec. 26, 1888); Rebfcca J., June 29, 1837;
Jefi^erson, July 29, 1840; Jackson, twin brother
•of Jefferson, July 29, 1840; and Eleanora,
March 8, 1844.

Alexander C. Martin died Oct. 17, 1865,
aged eighty-eight years, three months, thirteen
days, while his wife survived until Sept. 20,
1882, dying aged eighty-four years, one month,
twenty-seven days. Mr. Martin was a school
teacher, and followed that ]:)rofession all his
life.

Jefferson Martin was educated in the com-
mon schools of York county. He has devoted
his active life to agricultural pursuits, having
resided since 1867, on his present farm, which
was formerly the property of John Bosch and
originally contained thirty-one acres; but Mr.
Martin has added to it, and it now covers
thirty-five acres. He also owns the farm of
twenty-two acres occupied by his twin brother,
Jackson, and a seventy-eight acre place (ad-
joining his home farm) which was formerly
owned by William Porter. Mr. Martin makes
a specialty of genei'al stock raising and fruit
growing.

In 1867 Mr. Martin married Elmira J.



Fortney, daughter of David and Mary A.
(Leckrone) Fortney, and four children were
born to this union, three of whom still survive :
Mary A. married John H. Martin, who is, how-
ever, no relation to Jefferson Martin ; Sarah A.
married Jacob E. Cook ; Lillian F. married Ja-
cob R. Weaver. Mr. Martin is liberal in his
religious views. In politics he is active in the
work of the Democratic party, having served as
judge of election and constable for several
years. Mr. Martin is enterprising and full of
energy and his success in life has been brought
about wholly through his own efforts.

Mr. Martin was one of the veterans of the
Civil War, having enlisted in i86i.in Com-
pany H, 87th P. V. I., in which he served three
years ; at the end of this term of service he re-
enlisted and served until the war was over.
He was wounded at the battle of Cedar Creek.

GEORGE WASHINGTON SHULTzi
one of W^rightsville's progressive citizens, is a
well known liveryman of that place. He was
born on a farm in Lower Windsor township,
York county, July 30, 1867, was brought up
there, and educated in the district schools.
Among his teachers were Mr. Gilbert, Harry
Kellar, James Abel, Harry Stewart, James
Sitler, and Edward Strickler. . When he was
fourteen his father died, and his mother mov-
ing to Wrightsville two years later he left
school to help her. He had previously worked
on the farm for his parents. After coming to
town his first employment was on the turn-
pike ; he then went to work at packing tobacco
for Jacob Zuch, and later worked at the quar-
ries, driving- a cart. In April, 1895, '''^ set up
for himself in the draying business, with money
saved from his earnings. By Dec. 21, 1900,
he was able to open a livery stable in connection
with his draying, and has prospered steadily
ever since.

On March 13, 1889, Mr. Shultz married
Lizzie Roth, of Wrightsville, daughter of
Adam and Mary (Rankin) Roth, who are de-
ceased. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Shultz
are as follows : Jennie J., Mary, Amy and
Rena May. Mr. Shultz is a Republican in pol-
itics, and the family are members of the Luth-
eran Church. Mr. Shultz's success is due en-
tirely to his own energy and steady application
to business.

The grandfather of Mr. Shultz was a
school teacher. His son, David I. Shultz, was



BIOGRAPHICAL



born in Lower Windsor, and died in 1882.
He was a Republican in politics, and a member
•of the Evangelical Church. He was brought
up to farm work, but after his marriage worked
for a time in the ore banks in Murphy's Hol-
low. After a time he bought farming land in
Lower Windsor, eighty acres in one tract, and
twenty-eight acres in another, which he culti-
vated. Shortly after his death his widow
moved to town and bought a home on Chestnut
.street where she still lives. Her maiden name
was Magdalena Kinard, and she was a native of
Lower Windsor, where her father, Henry Ki-
nard, was a well known farmer. David I. and
Magdalena (Kinard) Shultz had the follow-
ing children : William, a farmer of Lower
Windsor, married to Annie Stauffer ; Mary,
married to John Rau, of Columbia, Pa. ; John



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 169 of 201)