Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 17 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 17 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


J. Fr.^nk Gable,
A. Lee Shulenberger,

E. H. PoLACK,

Committee.
IN MEMORIAM.

George Frederick Motter, Elder and Trustee of
Trinity Reformed Church, died suddenly at his
home in this city March 15. 1906, at nearly si.xty-
eight years of age. An impressive funeral service
was conducted by his pastor, assisted by the pastor
of Grace Reformed Church, on March 17. The very
large attendance of friends and representative citi-
zens was a just tribute of respect and honor in
which he was universally held. At the close of a
beautiful afternoon his body was laid to rest on
a sunny slope of Prospect Hill Cemetery in the
simplicity and faith in which he lived his life. Not
only is his loss keenly felt by a loving family but
very deeply do his friends miss his bright and
cheerful countenance and sympathetic heart, his
business associates feel the absence of his helpful
and sound thought and judgment, and his church
realizes the removal of a trustful and confident
Christian and a conscientious and faithful Elder.

Mr. Motter loved his home. To him his family
was a sacred circle, in which his great heart beat
with devoted throbs. The relation of flesh and
blood was to him a hallowed one. Nothing was too
much to sacrifice for the blessing of the household
of which he was the loving head and center. He
had a very wide circle of friendship and was himself
always a true and faithful friend. There was noth-
ing half hearted as there was nothing deceptive
about him. When he gave his friendship it was not
to be taken back nor at times withheld but grew
stronger as the years went by.

Mr. Motter was a successful business man. He
began at the bottom of the ladder and climbed by
his Dwn effort and perseverance, rung by rung, until
he stood among those who represented the manu-
facturing and financial interests of the city. He
made a record of which he could be proud, and
which deservingly placed him in honor and position



BIOGRAFHICAL



among his business associates. He was a self made
man and an example of the rich reward of honest
and faithful toil. He had sound and keen business
judgment and was sought frequently by others for
advice and counsel, and was of value in the many
business concerns in which he was called to the
directorship. He was devoted to the welfare of
York and was one of her best citizens.

Mr. jNIotter loved his Church. His Christian
faith and his devotion to his church were conspicu-
ous in his life. Here he lived truly in the modesty
and simplicity of a childlike faith. He was regular
in his attendance upon the means of grace. He
never grew too old to be a scholar in the Sunday-
school. He took upon himself faithfully all the
duties and obligations and privileges of church
membership. He delighted in the service and min-
istry he could render. He was exceptionally effi-
cient as an officer of the church in which capacity
he served for thirty-seven years. M^any things of
the activity and development of Trinity Reformed
congregation stand to-day as a memorial of his love
and devotion and service to her work and welfare.
The last acts of his life were given in the care and
oversight of the renovation of God's house. He did
not live to see the beauty of this earthly temple in
which he wrought a great part of his life, but we
believe that he now looks upon the beauty of the
Heavenly temple. The earthly house of his taber-
nacle was dissolved but he has a building of God,
a house not made with hands, eternal in the Heav-
ens. Death had no fear as it had no pain for him.
He died as he lived, in the Lord, in the confidence
and faith and assurance of the greater fulness of
eternal life.

Mr. Motter married Sarah J. Barnhart,
who still resides at the family home at No. 48
South Beaver street, in York. Eight children
of this union also survive, all residents of York,
namely: Mrs. W. H. Ruby, Robert L. Mot-
ter, H. L. Motter, Frank G. Motter, Mrs. H.
L. Link, Mrs. John Noss, George F. Motter,
.Jr., and Charles E. Motter.

MARTIN LUTHER EBERT was born
in York, Pa., April 4, 1848, son of Henry and
Sarah (Smyser) Ebert.

Adam Ebert was the father of Henry Eb-
ert, and was born in 1747, being a pioneer in
Manchester township and whose ancestors emi-
grated from Holland. He married Miss Eliz-
abeth Eyster.

Henry Ebert was born in Manchester town-
ship, Feb. 9, 1809, and was one of the well-to-
do farmers of his township, besides being for
a number of years a director in the York Coun-
ty Bank, one of the old banking institutions of
the city of York. He married Sarah Smyser,
bora in 18 16, daughter of Jacob and Mary
Smyser. Henry Ebert passed away March 28,
1884, his wife surviving until 1893.-



Martin Luther Ebert was reared from 1855
on the farm in West Manchester, and attended
the public schools, later on attending York
County Academy. Alter finishing his studies
he returned home and assisted his father, at
which he continued until he formed a partner-
ship with his brother and embarked in the mer-
cantile business, which he disposed of several
years later. He then engaged in the real es-
tate and insurance business, continuing in this
line until 1884, when he retired from the in-
surance business, but kept his real estate in-
terests.

Mr. Ebert has been connected with the
Western National Bank for a number of years,
and is a director and large stock holder. He
is also interested in the Central Market House
of York, of which he is one of the directors.
Politically he is a Republican, for one j'ear be-
ing a member of the city council from the
Fifth ward, now the Eleventh. Fraternally
Mr. Eberts is affiliated with the Mt. Zion
Lodge No. 74, L O. O. F., also with the
Grand Lodge of the State of Pentnsylvania.

The responsibilities of Mr. Ebert's posi-
tions have been great and onerous, but he has
discharged his duties in a most able manner.
He also has other business interests in York,
being an active promoter of a number of pro-
jects and a director of several companies. Mr.
Ebert has many warm friends who enjoy his
business success and his social and political
prominence.

CHARLES KURTZ. In connection with
the department of this compilation touching
upon the life histories of those who have fig-
ured conspicuously in industrial, commercial
and civic affairs in York county, there is defi-
nite interest attaching to the career of Mr.
Kurtz, who stands as a representative of one
of the sterling old families of the county, and
who is personally one of the prominent busi-
ness men and influential citizens of York, the
attractive capital city of the county. His hon-
ored father long held precedence as one of the
leading business men and most progressive and
public-spirited citizens of York, where his
name ever stood as a synonym of honor and in-
tegrity in all the relations of life, while he at-
tained to distinctive success in temporal affairs
through his own well-directed efforts along
legitimate lines of enterprise, having estab-



86



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY. PENNSYLVANIA



lished the malting business still conducted un-
der iiis name over a half century ago, in part-
nership with J. Hamilton Ness. The business
is now conducted under the firm name of W.
H. Kurtz & Son, and in control is the subject
of this review, who has given his personal
supervision and control since the death of his
father. The business dates its inception back
to the year 1845, ^vhen William H. Kurtz be-
came associated with J. Hamilton Ness in es-
tablishing the enterprise, whose scope and im-
portance were limited at the start, but through
reliable methods and indefatigable industry
the progress of the concern was certain, direct
and rapid, and resulted in the building up of
the present magnificent malting business, which
is one of the largest and most important of the
sort in the southern part of Pennsylvania,
while its ramifications extend throughout this
State and the name of the firm stands for ab-
solute reliability and honorable business meth-
ods wherever it is known. The original firm
of Kurtz & Ness continued operations about
twenty years, and Mr. Kurtz then secured sole
control of the business, while the present title
of W. H. Kurtz & Son was adopted in 1885,
when the subject of this sketch became actively
identified with the enterprise. His. father con-
tinued to be active in connection with the sup-
ervision of the business until the ,time of his
death, in 1894, and his name merits a high
place upon the scroll of the loyal, honorable
and able citizens who have contributed in
marked measure to the industrial and civic ad-
vancement and prestige of the city of York,
where his circle of friends was circumscribed
onlv bv that of his acquaintances. Since the
death of his father Charles Kurtz has con-
tinued to carry along the business on the same
conservative lines which have ever defined its
course, and he has fully upheld the distinction
of the honored name which he bears and the
reputation of the concern which absorbed so
much of the thought, energy and pragmatic
ability of his father.

Charles Kurtz was born in the city of
York, June 3, 1857, and secured his early
educational discipline in the public schools,
and after completing the curriculum of the
same he continued his studies in the York
County Academy, where he rounded out his
education and properly fitted himself for as-



suming the business responsibilities which soon
devolved upon him. He is a progressive busi-
ness man and a thoroughlj^ public-spirited citi-
zen, while he enjoys unreserved popularity in
the city which has been his home throughout
the course of his life. He is identified wijih a
number of important local enterprises aside
from that of which mention has been made,
being a member of the directorates of the York
County National Bank, the York Opera House
Company, the York Gas Company, the York
County ^Mutual Fire Insurance Company, one
of the most prosperous and solid institutions
of the sort in the state, the York \\'ater Com-
pany, and several turnpike companies. He
has various other capitalistic interests of im-
portance and is ever ready to lend his aid and
co-operation to the support of enterprises or
measures for the furtherance of the general
welfare and the material and civic advance-
ment of his home city, which holds a distinct
and certain place in his affections and in which
he takes just pride, as do all loyal citizens of
the attractive and favored little city. In po-
litics Mr. Kurtz accords a stanch allegiance
to the Republican party.

Mr. Kurtz has been twice married. By his
first union was born one son, William H., who
is now a student in the famous old Phillips
Academy at Exeter, N. H., where he is being
prepared for Harvard College. By the sec-
ond imion a daughter, Julia B., blesses the
home circle.

^lATTHEW JAMES McKINNON, M.
D. A practicing physician for over half a cen-
tury and for thirty-two years in the city of
York is a record which makes Dr. IMcKinnon a
well known figure. And still he passes in and
out among the people, healing their physical ills
and counseling with them in their various and
manifold activities, carrying gladness and sun-
shine wherever he goes. Dr. JNIcKinnon is a
most popular member of York society, and is
j.^assing his declining years amid hosts of the
friends he made in his earlier career.

Dr. McKinnon is a descendant of the Mc-
Kinnon Clan of Scotland, the first of the
name to come to America being Thomas ]\Ic-
Kinnon. whose coming antedated the Revo-
lutionarv war. He settled in Harford Coun-
tv, ^Id.. and here Grandfather ^IcKinnon mar-



BIOGRAPHICAL



87



ried into the Whiteford family and later re-
moved to Lower Chanceford township in
York county. The Doctor's father, Michael
Whiteford McKinnon, was then a baby in
arms. When he grew to manhood he married
Ann Logue McCall, of the historic family
whose name is so familiar in the county, and
which -will be more fully mentioned in another
part of this work.

Dr. Matthew J. McKinnon was born in
Chanceford township and passed his boyhood
on his father's farm, receiving a good common
school education in the country schools and at
private Academies and College at New Ath-
ens, Ohio. His professional course was taken
at the University of Mai-yland, from which he
graduated in 1853. His first practice was in
Huntingdon Co., Pa., where he continued suc-
cessfully until the breaking out of the war. He
at once volunteered for the service, and became
surgeon of the 53d Regiment. He followed
the fortunes of this regiment for some sixteen
months, and then was compelled to resign on
account of ill-health, brought on by exposure in
the Peninsular campaign.

The Doctor resumed the practice of his
profession at Hagerstown, I\Id., and was en-
gaged at that point until his coming to Chance-
ford township in 1870. Three years later he
came up to York, and since that date has been
actively engaged to the present time. It is un-
necessary to add any word of encomium on
Dr. ]\IcKinnon's professional work in York,
his extensive practice being evidence sufficient
to proclaim him one of the city's best phy-
sicians and surgeons. He has had official con-
nection with the York City Hospital as sur-
geon since its organization thirteen years ago,
and for eight years has been surgeon to the
York County Almshouse. He has also been
for thirty-two years surgeon at York for the
Pennsylvania and Northern Central railroads.

Dr. ]McKinnon has reared a family of six
cfiildren in York, his marriage taking place in
Hagerstown, Md., in 18-7. His wife's maiden
name was Amelia J. Schemdel, and her chil-
dren are as follows : Annie, who married WW-
liam F. Ramsey of York, and died in 1889:
Carrie, wife of I. Newton Faust, a citizen of
Huntingdon county; ^Margaret, wife of W'il-
liam T. Fllis, one of the directors of the Phila-
delnhia Press: Robert Bruce. City Fng-ineer nf
York; Walter Scott, engineer, assistant to his



brother; Dr. John Whiteford McKinnon, a
dentist at York. The last named was born at
Hagerstown June 28, 1868, and was educated
at York Collegiate Institute and the Univer-
sity of [Maryland, graduating at the latter in
1S89, taking a course in dentistry. He has
since conducted an office successfully in York,
where he is a popular member of society, be-
ing a member of the Masonic lodge, the Bache-
lors' Club, and of the Presbyterian. Church.

Dr. [Nlathew J. McKinnon has always taken
an active interest in affairs at York, and is al-
ways found in the forefront of every move-
ment looking to the betterment of her society.
He was made a Mason long years ago at Hag-
erstown ( 1868) and affiliates with the Arti-
sans. In religious belief he is a Presbyterian,
having been a member and an elder in that
church since before the war. His voice has
always been for advancement, and though well
up in years he is .yet in the full possession of
his powers. Both he and his family are among
York's most popular citizens.

ROBERT BRUCE McKIXXOX, city
engineer of York, comes of stanch Scottish
lineage, as his name indicates, and he is a na-
tive of the State of Maryland, having been
born in the city of Hagerstown, Washington
county, Dec. 3, 1864, son of the now vener-
able Dr. Matthew J. McKinnon, of York, a
sketch of whoge honorable and useful career
immediately precedes. When Robert B.
]\IcKinnon was about fi\-e years of age his
parents removed from Maryland to York, and
in the public schools of the city and under the
instruction of private tutors he had well-
ordered educational discipline in his youth.
He had given special attention to technical
study along the line of his present profession,
and wdien twenty years of age found employ-
ment as a member of the engineering ccirps of
the Southern Pennsvlvania Railroad Com-
pany. His next position was of a similar na-
ture, with the Kansas & Nebraska Railroad,
and later he was identified with ens'ineering
work on the line of the Kansas City. Pittsburg
& Gulf Railroad Company. He was concerned
with railroading work of this order in the West
for a period of about tweh-e years, during
which time he operated in Kansas. Arkansas,
^lissouri and the Indian Territory. One of
the most eventful periods in his career, how-



88



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PEXXSYLVANIA



ever, was that during which he was engaged in
the himber business in the famous Cherokee
Nation, Indian Territory, where he remained
about one year, meeting with excellent success
■in his operations. In i8g8 Mr. McKinnon re-
turned to York, Pa., and in the same year was
elected to his present office, that of city engi-
neer. He had previously served in that capa-
city for three months, during the illness of the
regular incumbent. So faithful and satisfac-
tory have been his services in this office that
he has been retained in the same consecutively,
having been honored with two elections, for
terms of three years each. His preferment is
well merited, since he has won precedence by
reason of his marked ability as a civil engineer,
while he is held in confidence and esteem as an
executive and as a citizen.

Regarding his professional work in the
West, it may be said that the record of Mr.
McKinnon's experiences in railroad operations
in that section would fill a volume, while the
details could not fail to prove most interesting.
He was the chief engineer in a continuous sur-
ve}^ of one hundred and eighty miles, and had
charge of the surveying of eighty miles of the
Kansas City, Pittsburg & Gulf railroad, run-
ning all the wav to the Gulf of Mexico,
The fact that he lived in tents for a period of
five 3'ears indicates in a measure the untram-
meled life which was his, while he also en-
dured many hardships and encountered dan-
ger from various sources while operating in
wild and unsettled sections of the far West.
That his physical powers did not suffer
through his experiences is evident to all who
meet the sturdy and vital city engineer of
Y^ork.

In politics Mr. McKinnon is a stalwart
Democrat, taking a lively interest in the ques-
tions and issues of the hour. He and his wife
are memljers of the First Presbyterian Church
of York. He is a member of the Masonic fra-
ternity, in which he has attained the Knights
Templar degree and belongs to the Shrine, and
also belongs to the Benevolent and Protec-
tive Order of Elks, the Bachelors' Club, the
Country Club and the Artisans, enjoying dis-
tinctive popularity in both business and social
circles.

On Oct. T4, 1902, Mr. McKinnon was
united in marriage to Miss Marion Grace



Downey, daughter of James B. Downey, a
prominent and influential citizen of Lancaster,
Pa., and of this union has been born one son,
James Downey McKinnon.

LIEUT. CHARLES H. STALLMAN is
one of the leading spirits in the commercial life
of the city of York, being a large wholesale
dealer in tobacco and cigars, president of the
City Bank, and identified with manufacturing
interests of various kinds. Lieut. Stallman is
a native of Prussia, born Oct. 20, 1840, and he
came to York with his parents when a six-
year-old boy. His father died here the sixth
year after his arrival, at the age of fifty-two
years, and the mother in 1861, when fifty-six
years of age.

Lieut. Stallman managed to secure a good
common-school education, and began his busi-
n.ess career at the early age of fourteen years in
the hardware store of Rosenmiller & Co., then
the leading hardware merchants of the city. He
remained with this firm until the breaking out
of the Civil war, when he enlisted, and did not
again engage in business life until after his dis-
charge, March 12, 1865. He then became con-
nected as a clerk with P. A. & S. Small, then a
large firm in York, with whom he remained un-
til 1874, this marking the date of his entry into
the wholesale tobacco business in York with
R. L. Shetter, under the firm name of Stallman
& Shetter. In 1900 he purchased the interests
of his partner and in 1902 formed the present
firm of C. H. Stallman & Son, by the admission
of his son George L. Lieut. Stallman has ac-
cjuired other interests during this period, being
a director in the hosiery manufacturing firm of
Joseph Black Sons Company, director in the
York Wall Paper •Company, and president of
the City Bank of York. He is a member of the
school board of thirteen years' standing, and
served as president of the board for two years,
his service in this regard being marked by high-
ly increased efficiency in the public schools.

In social life Lieut. Stallman is a familiar
and popular figure. He is a leading member of
the Knights of Malta, and in all the organiza-
tions incident to his military career — Sedg-
wick Post, No. 37, of the G. A. R., the Union
Veteran Legion and the Loyal Legion. Lieut.
Stallman also takes a lively interest in the af-
fairs of the ]\Iethodist Episcopal Church, hav-





ol^jU^oo^chJ



BIOGRAPHICAL



ing" been a steward for thirty years, a trustee
for twenty years, and superintendent of the
Sunday-school for the past ten years.

In June, 1867, Lieut. Stahman married
^liss Elizabeth Bennett, daughter of Thomas
Bennett, now deceased, and to them have been
born the following children : Jeanette, at home ;
Lulu, wife of Charles Beck, cigar manufacturer
of York; Margie, now the wife of John Storm-
ieltz, coffee roaster of York ; and George L.,
who is a partner with his father.

Lieut. Stallman is one of the surviving of-
ficers of the Civil w'ar whose record in that gal-
lant struggle to preserve the integrity of "Old
Glory" is worthy the highest commendation.
He entered the service as a private soldier in
April, 1 86 1, and was promoted through the
sergeantcy to second, and then to first, lieuten-
ant of his company. His first enlistment was
for the three months' service in what was called
the Worth Infantry, this company becoming
part of the i6th P. V. I. For "three years or
the war," at the end of this first service, he en-
listed in Company C, 87th P. V. I. This regi-
ment went to the front as a part of the Army of
the Potomac, and spent the first winter in camp
at stations, doing guard duty, on the North
Central railroad. Our subject was at this
time promoted to be sergeant major, and
commanded Company C as second lieu-
tenant at the battle of Locust Grove, Nov.
27, 1863. As the regiment moved on
to ]\Iine Run he commanded a detail
of men to assist in building corduroy roads
for the rapid movement of the troops. On
Christmas Day, 1862, he received his commis-
sion as second lieutenant, and participated in
the engagements around Winchester. After
the battle of Carter's Woods he accompanied
the regiment in its retreat to Bedford. Pa.
Lieut. Stallman was commissioned first lieuten-
ant of his company Jan. 31, 1864, and for three
months thereafter was on special duty at Car-
lisle, Pa., as a recruiting officer. He returned
to his company at North Anna in May, and on
June 1st, when the battle of Cold Harbor
opened, was in command of a detail of men on
the skirmish line. As his men moved through
a clearing a Confederate battery opened on
them. The Lieutenant and his men dropped to
the ground, and moving on hands and feet
across the brow of the hill, did some effective
work as skirmishers during the battle. Our



subject was now to experience the hospitality
of the enemy in their famous, or infamous, hos-
telries, beginning with Libby. Before Peters-
burg, while doing duty on the skirmish line, he
was captured, together with others, June 22,
1864. He was first sent to Libby, thence by
rail to Lynchburg, Va. From that point they
were marched across to Danville, arriving in
time to celebrate the nation's birthday, though
that had to be in thought only. There they
were incarcerated in a tobacco warehouse, and
fed on corn bread and pork. Down to the very
heart of the Confederacy they next journeyed,
feeling that fate was indeed against them.
However, they were soon transferred across
to Savannah, where they received kind treat-
ment and plenty to eat. But "Uncle Billy"
Sherman was abroad in the land, and they were
moved on up the coast to Charleston. Their
stay here in the hot and dirty jailyard proved
the undoing of a number, their death casting a
gloom over the remainder. At Columbia where
they were next taken their quarters were good,
but' the rations were poor. As Sherman ad-
vanced two thousand officers were sent to
Raleigh, N. C, and from this place they were
moved to the point of exchange about eight
miles from Wilmington, on the Cape Fear



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 17 of 201)