Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 170 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 170 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Andrew, a cigarmaker, living in Lower Wind-
.sor, who married (first) Sarah Hill, and (sec-
ond) Mary Greenawalt; David I., a farmer of
Lower Windsor, married to Mary Paxton ;
■George Washington ; Lizzie, married to Sey-
mour Filby, of Wrightsville ; and Charles Wes-
ley, of Wrightsville, married to Becky Ruby.

WILLIAM W. SMEACH, formerly high
■constable of Hanover, and now engaged in
butchering at No. 112 Baltimore street, Han-
•over, was born in Carroll county, Md., in 1859,
son of Andrew Smeach.

Andrew Smeach was a miller in early life,
and later engaged in farming in Carroll county,
Md., following the latter occupation until his
•death, at the age of fifty-five years. He first
married Miss Eliza Wine, who died young,
leaving one child, Mandilla. Mr. Smeach's
second wife was Maria Myers, who died aged
fifty-two years, and was buried in Carroll
countv. She bore her husband these children :
Andrew S., David R., Philip A. and Wil-
liam W.

William W. Smeach received his education
in the public schools of Carroll county, Md.,
after leaving which, at the age of fourteen
years, he assisted his father in farming until
twenty-one years old. He then went to learn
the carpenter's trade in his native county, in
1893 coming to Hanover, where he followed
his trade until 1896, when he was elected high
constable of the borough of Hanover. Al-
though elected on the Republican ticket in a
Democratic district, his faithful services were
appreciated to the extent that he was kept in



office for nine years. At the time of Mr.
Smeach's election to this office George W. King
was chief burgess, and at this writing (1905)
is again serving in the same office. Mr.
Smeach engaged in the butchering business
May 5, 1905, and his patronage since the start
has been constantly growing.

Mr. Smeach married first Mary Baughman,
who died leaving two sons : Herbert Clinton is
a barber near Pittsluirg, Pa. ; William H., who
married Emma Shilt, is a tinner and plumber
by trade, and resides in Indiana. Mr. Smeach's
second marriage was to Miss Amelia S. Ster-
ner, daughter of David H. Sterner. Mr. and
Mrs. Smeach are members of the Trinity Re-
formed Church of Hanover, in which he has
served as elder for nine years.

WILLIAM H. EISENHART, M. P., a
well known practitioner of York, who resides
at No. 37 North Hartley street, was born in
Upper Windsor township, York county, in
1858.

John Eisenhart, the grandfather of William
H., had one son, Levi, who was born June 30,
1 83 1, in Dover township, this county. He at-
tended the district school three miles from his
home, his education being limited, and learned
the blacksmith's trade in York with George
Barnhart, later engaging in business at Wind-
sorville, where he remained seven years. He
then went to Weigelstown, Dover township,
where he was engaged in business for twenty
years, and locating in York in 1885 he engaged
in the chainmaking business, following that un-
til his health failed, in 1903, since which time
he has lived retired. On March 15, 1855, he
was united in marriage with Catherine Saylor,
daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (Ramsey)
Saylor, and to this union were born : Jacob S.,
who married Ella Gross, living in York; Wil-
liam H. ; Harvey A., who married Sarah
Mayer, of York ; Franklin E., married to Alice
Shaffer, of York; and Charles W., who died
when ten months and eleven days old. Mr.
Eisenhart was for twenty years superintendent
of the Evangelical Sunday-school, and was also
a trustee of the church. In politics he is a
Democrat.

William H. Eisenhart attended the public
schools at Weigelstown, Dover township, and
then learned the blacksmith's trade, later com-
ing to York, where he was employed nine years
at the Standard Chain \\'orks as chain inspec-



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



tor. During the time he was employed at the
latter place Mr. Eisenhart prepared himself for
entrance to the Academ}- of Medical Sciences
at New York City, from which he was
graduated in 1901, and in 1902 he graduated
from the Weltmer Mental School of Healing,
of Nevada, Mo. He is now engaged in the
practice of his profession in York, his office
Seing at No. 324 West York avenue.

Mr. Eisenhart married Sarah Heilman,
daughter of Israel Heilman. In politics he is
a Republican. He is a member of the U. B.
Church of York.

^^TLLIA]M H. MASAMORE was one of
the highly esteemed retired farmers of Man-
heim township, York county, at the time of his
sudden death, which was a shock to the entire
community. He had passed all his life there,
having been born April i, 1842, on the farm
where he always resided, a son of Daniel Mas-
amore.

The latter was born Jan. i, 1800, near Han-
over, York county, and died June 2, 1893, at
the advanced age of ninety-three years, five
months, one day. He was one of the
best known and most respected men of
his time in this locality. He bought the
old Roleman farm in Manheim township, then
containing- 150 acres, on which he built a fine
two-story brick home, and lived there all his
days. He is one of the oldest people buried in
the old Stone Church cemetery of Codorous
township. Both he and his wife were devoted
members of the Lutheran Church, and good
Christian people.

Daniel Masamore married Cassandra
Writz, of York comity, who was born April 26.
1799, and died Dec. 3, 1865, at the age of
sixty-six years, seven months, and seven days.
Their children were as follows : Eleanor, wid-
ow of Emanuel Wentz, resides in Manheim
township; Mantilla is the wife of John Linch,
of near Glen Rock, Pa. ; Matilda is the wife of
Jacob Bortner, of near Glen Rock; Daniel is
a farmer in Ohio; Edward is a well-known
miller in Adams county; William H. is the sub-
ject of this sketch ; Elizabeth, Leah, Sarah and
Susan are all deceased.

William H. Masamore attended what was
known as the Duck Hill school in his native
township until about eighteen years of age,
and he assisted his father on the farm, remain-
ing at home. At the death of his father j\Ir.



Masamore bought the farm on which he erected
a fine new barn, 72x42 feet, and also good,
substantial outbuildings, making it one of the
finest places in the county. There is a fine or-
chard, the fruit comparing favorably with any
in the State. Aaron Wattersdorff operated the
land for Mr. Masamore, residing with him.
The farm now consists of 103 acres at the
Summit Station on the Western Maryland
railroad. He lived retired from 1900 until his
death, which occurred Dec. 2, 1905. While
engaged in threshing, the day before, he was
working on top of the straw. A helper noticed
that the straw was no longer being taken away
and one of the men immediately looked for
Mr. Masamore. He had fallen head first down,
the hay hole in the barn, and though given
medical aid without delay died from his in-
juries the next day.

Mr. Masamore was a member of the Stone
Lutheran Church of Codorus township. In
politics he was a Democrat, but never sought
office. He was very well known throughout
]\Ianheim township, and his many sterling
traits of character made him respected and es-
teemed by all.

JOHN WILLIAM HARTLEY, junior
member of the firm of Ebert & Hartley.contrac-
tors for cement pavements, was born in East
Berlin, Adams Co., Pa. He received a com-
mon-school education, and then learned the
milling trade in his native town, which occupa-
tion he followed seven years. At the end of
that time he engaged in the lumber and coal
business at East Berlin, which he followed un-
til the spring of 1887, when he located in York
and was employed with A. B. Farcjuhar, later
going into the candy business. In 1900 he en-
gaged in the cement business, contracting for
cement pavements, and he has continued in tTiat
line ever since, having become one of the lead-
ing business men in that line in York. The
firm is known as Ebert & Hartley. The part-
ners have one of the largest contracts ever
given in York on their hands at the present
time, the contract calling for the paving of
East York, formerly the Kelsey farm, which
is now one of the finest suburban parts of the
city.

Mr. Hartley was married, in 1887, to Su-
san R. Hellerman, a daughter of John Henry
and Julia Hellerman, and to this union have
been born : Edna, Annie, John, Helen and



BIOGRAPHICAL



Edward. In politics Mr. Hartley is a Demo-
crat. He and his family reside in their pleas-
ant home at No. 137 South Water street, York.
John Henry Hellerman, the father of Mrs.
Hartley, was born in Germany and Was a shoe-
maker by trade. He married in the old coun-
try, and he and his wife emigrated to America,
landing at New York City. They came direct-
ly to York, Pa., however, where Mr. Heller-
man engaged in shoemaking, continuing in that
business until his death in his eighty-third year.
He is interred at Prospect Hill cemetery. He
is survived by his widow and his two daugh-
ters, Mrs. J. W. Hartley, of York, and Mrs.
John Hollinger, of Philadelphia. Mrs. Hel-
lerman makes her home with Mrs. Hartley.

JOHN McCLEARY. Among the old and
highly respected farmer citizens of York coun-
ty perhaps none is better known than John
McCleary, of North Hopewell township. He
was born in Fawn township, between Wood-
bine and Bald Eagle, June 15, 1826, son of
William and Martha (Ewing) McCleary.

William McCleary was bom in York coun-
ty, where he farmed all of his life, settling in
Fawn township, where he died in 1838, aged
about fifty years. He was a member of the
M. E. Church, and in politics was a Democrat.
He married Miss Martha Ewing, daughter of
Rev. Mr. Ewing, of the M. E. Church. Mrs.
McCleary died in Fawn township. She was
the mother of children as follows : Abraham ;
Jane, Mrs. Edward Boyd, deceased ; Isaac, the
father of Isaac R. McCleary, of Lower Chance-
ford township; Henry, who died in Airville,
York county; Sarah, Mrs. John Scott, who
died in Fawn township; James, who died in
Iowa; Martha, Mrs. Henry Stilts, who died in
Fawn township; Mary Ann, Mrs. William
Thompson, who died in Hopewell township;
William, who died in Iowa, and John.

When John McCleary was eighteen years
of age his mother removed from the home farm
to Gatchellvile. His father died six years
prior to this time. Mr. McCleary received his
education in the subscription schools and later
in the public schools and left school on remov-
ing from the farm. He was reared to the life
of a farmer, an occupation he has followed his
entire life. He remained at home until 1852
when he married Julia F. Laird, who was born
in Fawn township, daughter of John Laird and
Lydia (Musser) Laird. Children have been



born to him and his wife as follows : Winfield
Scott; Samuel Huston, of York; Hugh D., of
Hopewell township; Ellen A., Mrs. Dallas
Shaw, deceased ; and several children who died
in infancy.

After his marriage Mr. McCleary farmed
for two years on shares in Fawn township, at
the end of that time purchasing his present
place of thirty-six acres, where he has made
his home for almost half a century. Mr. Mc-
Cleary has erected good new buildings on his
farm, which he has improved to a high degree,
and he can truly say that farming pays if prop-
erly managed. He is a member of the Evan-
g'elical Church. His political faith is that of
the Democratic party, and he has served as
judge of elections and assessor.

SAMUEL WAMBAUGH, of Airville,
Lower Chanceford township, York county,
where he carries on shoemaking and farming,
was born Nov. 6, 1835, near old Blue Ball, in
Fawn township, son of Daniel and Catherine
(Hise) Wambaugh. He comes of an old
family of Fawn township, his grandfather,
Peter Wambaugh, having resided there. Dan-
iel Wambaugh, his father, was a farmer, fol-
lowing that occupation first in Fawn town-
ship and later in Chanceford township, where
he died in 1876; his wife, who was fonnerly
Catherine Hise, of Shrewsbury township, also
died there.

Samuel Wambaugh attended the public
schools until about fourteen years of age and
then learned shoemaking with William Thomp-
son, of Hopewell. After having served an ap-
prenticeship of two years he worked as a jour-
neyman for two years, and in 1856 went into
business in Fawn township for two years, re-
moved to Hopewell township, and in i860
moved to near Airville. In 1862 Mr. Wam-
baugh enlisted in Company I, 130th P. V. I.,
with which he served nine months, participat-
ing in the battles of Chancellorsville, Freder-
icksburg and Antietam. He was discharged
at Harrisburg in May, 1863, returned home for
one month, and then re-enlisted, in an inde-
pendent company, under Capt. E. O. Stevens.
He was discharged at the end of one month,
again returned home, and on Feb. 29, 1864,
enlisted at Flarrisburg in the regular army,
being first stationed at Governor's Island.
From there he went as general service reserve
that spring and as general reserve recruit, and



892



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



was then ordered to Buffalo, to join the loth
Regulars. From there he was sent to the front,
tinder Grant, with whom he served until the
close of the war, being in the battle of the
AMlderness and at Spottsylvania, in which lat-
ter engagement he was wounded in the right
shoulder. He was sent to a hospital at Wash-
ington, D. C, and from there to one in Balti-
more, and then to York, where he remained
five months, at the end of that time going to
Governor's Island and rejoining his regiment,
with which he remained until the surrender of
Lee. In the October following he went to
Washington, D. C., and was ordered to St.
Louis, and from there to St. Paul, Minn.,
where the regiment divided, the company to
which Mr. Wambaugh belonged being sta-
tioned at Fort Ripley, Minn., where it was
kept two years. There he was discharged
March 4, 1867.

After his discharge Mr. Wambaugh re-
turned home, making the first 125 miles of his
journey on the Northern Pacific railroad. Ar-
riving in York county he resumed his trade at
Airville, and has worked at that trade off and
on ever since. About fifteen years ago he
bought seventeen acres of land and has done
considerable farming, devoting most of his
time to tobacco.

Mr. Wambaugh is a member of the G. A.
R., belonging to Gatchellville Post, No. 605.
He was reared in the faith of the M. E. Church.
He was formerly a Democrat, but is now a be-
liever in the principles laid down by the Re-
publican party. He was married in 1869 to
Miss Hannah McCue, of Maryland, and they
have become the parents of the following
named children : Ida, now Mrs. Heffner ;
Jesse, a telegraph operator; George, who is at
home; and Louis Cleveland, a stenographer
and bookkeeper at Camden, N. J. Mr. Wam-
baugh is well known in his community.

WILLIAM E. WALKER (deceased),
who for many years carried on agricultural
pursuits successfully in Lower Chanceford
township, was born in Cecil county, Md., Feb.
3. 1835.

Mr. Walker passed part of his boyhood
days in Fulton township, Lancaster Co., Pa.,
in the old Cross Keys Tavern, which his
father conducted about 1845. His father re-
moved to Lower Chanceford township, York
county, and here William E. grew to man-



hood. Although the school was two miles
from his home young Walker rarely missed
going, and being fond of his books studied
hard, receiving more than the ordinary com-
mon-school education. Among his teachers
he could always remember a certain Mr. Court-
ney, who was very strict. Another remem-
brance of Mr. Walker's was that as a boy he
had a very good appetite, and often when car-
rymg his lunch to school would eat it in the
mornmg, thus having to go without his mid-
day meal. He was reared to farming, and con-
tmued at same all his life. He was married
m Lower Chanceford township to Miss Te-
mutia Arbuckle, daughter of William Ar-
buckle, of Lancaster and York counties, and
after his marriage located in the log house on
one end of the farm, later building a frame
house. In 1862 he enlisted in Company H,
1 66th P. V. I., and served gallantly for three
years, during which time die was slightly
wounded by a bullet in the right ankle.

After leaving the army Mr. Walker re-
turned home, and in 1882 he and his wife re-
moved to York Furnace, where he did general
work for two years. He was married (sec-
ond) March II, 1884, to Mrs. Sarah Jane
Murphy, widow of Charles W. Murphy, and
daughter of Nehemiah and Maria (Penning-
ton) Robinson. After his second marriage
Mr. Walker lived at York Furnace for two
years longer, and then removed to Havre de
Grace, Md., where he kept a hotel nine years,
at the end of that time returning to Lower
Chanceford township and locating in his pres-
ent home, which he had built while in the hotel
business. He farmed the balance of his life,
dying on his farm Aug. 18, 1904. Mr. Walker
was a stanch Democrat.

Mr. Walker's children by his first wife were
as follows: Elizabeth, Mrs. Edward Saun-
ders; Mary, Mrs. Robert O. Mitchell; John,
who married Cora Murphy; Jennie, Mrs.
Lindsey Forsythe; Emma, Mrs. Albert Hall;
and Wilhelmina, Mrs. George McMasters. All
are residents of Havre de Grace, Md., except
Mrs. Hall, who lives in Baltimore. To Mr.
Walker and his second wife were born chil-
dren as follows : Pearl, Mrs. Harvey A. Runkle
of Chanceford township ; Florence Rose, who
is at home; and Vandiver, born Dec. 23, 1891.
Mrs. Walker had the following children by
her first marriage : Cora, who married John
Walker, son of our subject; Nettie May, who



BIOGRAPHICAL



893



died at the age of ten years ; Irene, Mrs. Fred
Olds, of Reading-, Pa. ; and Lillie Belle.

PHILIP WILLIAM BURG, of Hellam
township, is a son of C. C. Burg, a sketch of
whom appears elsewhere, and was born in
Lower Windsor, York county, on the old mill
property on the Susquehanna. The place has
been known as Burg's Mill for nearly one
hundred years.

Born Sept. 22, 1856, Philip William Burg
began attending school at the age of six, and
went to school at intervals until he was eight-
een. His father was a canal-boat owner, and
much of the boyhood of Philip William was
spent as a driver on the tow path. When he was
twelve years old he began driving, and had
many interesting and curious experiences while
thus engaged. The drivers worked six hours,
then were ofif duty six hours, and so on, and,
for a growing boy, the work was very ex-
hausting. Sometimes he would sleep with his
feet caught in the harness, his head on the
mule's rump, and his arms around the ani-
mal. He drove through heat and cold, thun-
der and lightning', daylight and dark, and at
at night the lonely stillness, broken only by the
barking- of a dog, or the croaking of a frog,
was weird and awe-inspiring, and made a last-
ing impression on his mind. Impressions of
a different character were made by the lan-
guage, more forcible than elegant, used by
some of the boatmen. During a cold storm
one fall Mr. Burg's boat had to break the ice
to Clark's Ferry. A large flock of turkeys
flew over the island, and some went into the
lock. Mr. Burg and his friends went in after
them, but a rough lot of boat repair men who
were there at work threatened them so vio-
lently that they were obliged to let the turkeys
go.

When he was eighteen years old Mr. Burg-
began teaching, and taught a term in Spring
Garden, and another in Hellam township. He
attended the Millersville Normal School at dif-
ferent times, and spent almost two years at
the Eastman Business College at Poughkeep-
sie, graduating in 1887. After that he was
at home for a few years, and added to his
stock of knowledge by careful study of things
and people about him. His father had given
up his canal-boat business in 1872, and for the
following four years lived at Stony Brook.
From there he moved, in 1876, to the home



farm in Hellam township. After his marriage
Mr. Burg continued at home for two years,
engaged in farming, raising tobacco and mak-
ing cigars. In the spring of 1884 he bought
the farm of thirteen acres on which he now
resides, where he raises general produce and
tobacco, marketing his crops in Columbia. He
also devotes some attention to the dairy busi-
ness.

Mr. Burg was married Sept. 21, 1881, to
Leah Rutter, who was born on the Rutter
farm in Manchester township, a mile north of
York. Mrs. Burg's father, George Rutter,
is still living; her mother's maiden name was
Annie Diehl. Mr. and Mrs. Burg have had
children as follows : ( i ) Daisy Ella has had
exceptional educational advantages, having
graduated from the Wrightsville high school
in the class of 1898; spent two terms at the
York County Normal School, a summer school
for teachers; a year at York Collegiate Insti-
tute; and a year at Westchester State Normal
School. She has taught for four years with
success. (2) Walter Rutter, a sixteen-year
old boy, attends high school in Wrightsville.
(3) Albert Philip is seven years old; and (.4)
Hoi^ace Edward is aged three.

Mr. Burg cast his first Presidential vote
for Hayes, and during Blaine's campaign
made political speeches through the county.
He was elected justice of the peace on first
attaining his majority, but never lifted his
commission. He joined the Lutheran Church
at Wrightsville, where his parents went to live
when he was three years old. He has always
taken a keen interest in the schools and in
general educational matters, is a great reader,
and has lectured at the teachers' institutes.
He has also been active in arranging for de-
bates and lyceum courses. He is a man of
unimpeachable honesty, and highly esteemed
by his friends and fellow-townsmen.

ABRAHAM FLORA, who died April 13,
1904, was a substantial farmer of Jackson
township, and came on both sides of families
long identified with York county. He was
born there in 1846, son of Jacob and Leah
(Deal) Flor}^, the former of whom is stih
living, now aged ninety years.

Abraham Flory was reared upon a farn?,
and continued to follow that honorable calling
until his death. His life record presents no
thrilling incidents, but represents long years



894



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



of honorable toil and of faithful performance
of duty, both in his home and in the com-
munit}-, and high integrity of conduct. He
married Miss Amanda Smyser, daug"liter of
Henry and Mary (Emig) Smyser, and four
children were born to their union, Harry, Ella,
Edward and Lillian. Mr. Flory was a mem-
ber of the Lutheran Church, and in political
sentiment a Republican. His death occurred
at his home April 13, 1904, when he had
reached only his fiity-eighth year, and his pass-
ing away was a source of deep regret to all who
knew him.

After the death of Abraham Flory his son
Edward took charge of the homestead. He
was born Oct. 5, 1876, in West Manchester
township, has been educated in the public
schools of Lancaster and York counties, has
been reared to farm work, and brings to his
present responsibilities thorough familiarity
with its demands and great capacity. He is
also a Lutheran in religion and a Republican
in politics. He is unmarried.

Mrs. Amanda Flory was born in Springets-
bury township, then Spring Garden, in 1857,
the only daughter of Henry and Mary (Emig)
Smyser. Her maternal grandfather was Val-
entine Emig, a native of Pennsylvania. Mrs.
Flory had three brothers, Michael, Alexander
and Horace. Her mother is still living, and
is now seventy-seven years old, but Henry
Smyser was called from this world in Jan-
uary, 1900, aged eighty-eight. He was a Lu-
theran in his religious belief, while his wife is
a member of the Reformed Church.

NOAH J. INNERS. Few names still
marked as representative of York county's best
citizenship have been longer or more promi-
nently identified with the annals of this sec-
tion of the Keystone State than has that of
Inners. The original progenitor of the family
in America, as well as in Pennsylvania, was
Jacob Inners, great-grandfather of Noah J.
This sturdy ancestor was born and bred in
the fair little republic of Switzerland, whence
he emigrated to America early in the eight-
eenth century, soon coming into the practical
wilderness of the great domain in w'hose
colonization the name of William Penn stood
high above all others. This Jacob Inners set-
tled in Bucks county, Pa., and as nearly as can
be determined from data extant, it is probable
that he there passed the remainder of his life.



He was a gunsmith by trade, and, it is fair to
presume, found his services in that line much
in requisition by the pioneers, who depended
largely upon their firearms to secure proven-



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 170 of 201)