Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 171 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 171 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


der for their tables as well as protection from
the Indians. Among the children of this
progenitor was his namesake, Jacob, who fig-
ures as the grandfather of him whose name
initiates this paragraph.

Jacob Inners (2) was born and reared in
Bucks county, whence as a young man he re-
moved to Lancaster county, where, he became
a farmer. At the age of twenty-five years he
became a soldier in the Continental Line, and
did his part in gaining the boon of independ-
ence for the struggling colonies. After the
close of the -Revolution he returned to Lancas-
ter county, where he married, and somewhat
later removed with this, his first wife, into
Hellam township, York county. Mr. Inners
removed from Hellam to York township,
where he became the owner of a tract of more
than three hundred acres of heavily timbered
land, a considerable portion of which he re-
claimed and put under cultivation. As the
years passed he became one of the prominent
and influential farmers of the county, and he
resided in York township until his death, at
the advanced age of ninety-one years. Both
he and his wife were interred in the cemetery
at Blimyer's Church, York township. Of the
children of this worthy couple is entered the fol-
lowing brief record : Henry and Jacob died in
York township ; John died in Springfield town-
ship ; Conrad died in York township ; Eva and
Catherine died when young. After the death
of his first wife Jacob Inners married Sarah
Geesey, who died in York township. Of the
children of this union it is recorded that Peter,
Michael, Sallie and Polly died in York town-
ship ; Abraham and George were next in order ;
Daniel was the father of Noah J. ; and Susan
was the last born.

Daniel Inners was born in York township,
in the year 1807, and there received such edu-
cational advantages as were afforded in the
common schools of the locality and period,
while in his youth he learned the blacksmith's
trade with his brother George, becoming a
skilled and reliable artisan, and continuing to
be engaged in the active work of his stalwart
trade for a number of years in York township.
Finally he purchased two acres of the George
Keener homestead, and there he continued to



BIOGRAPHICAL



89;



live retired from active labors. He died on
the old homestead, April i, 1890, at the age
of eighty-three years, three months and twen-
ty-eight days, while his remains and those of
his wife repose in the cemetery at Blimyer's
Chnrch. In 1838 Daniel Inners was united in
marriage to Miss Mary Neff, who was born
in Springfield township, York county, a
daughter of Samuel Neff; she was summoned
into eternal rest Feb. 22, 1879, at the age of
sixty-one years, two months and twenty-two
days. Two large stones of chaste design mark
the last resting-place of these honored and
worthy citizens, whose lives were true in all
relations, offering- much of lesson and inspira-
tion. Both were consistent members of the Re-
formed Church, and Mr. Inners was known as
a stanch advocate of the Democratic party,
while he ever showed a loyal interest in pub-
lic affairs of a local nature. Of the children
of this union we have the following record :
Noah J., subject of this review, was the first
born; Amos married Louisa Sipe, and they
reside in Pleasureville, York county; Solomon
married Catherine Rupp, whois now deceased;
Daniel, who married Catherine Sipe, is a rep-
resentative farmer of York township ; Sam-
uel died in the State of Oregon, unmarried ;
Mary has never married and resides in the city
of York; Sarah, widow of Alexander Sipe,
maintains her home in York; and Amanda is
the wife of Henry Honsermj^er, of York town-
ship.

Noah Jacob Inners, to whom this sketch is
dedicated, was born on the homestead farm in
York township, Aug. 22, 1840, and his boy-
hood days were passed in essentially the
same way as were those of the average
farmer boy of the locality and period.
He soon began to assist in the work of
the farm, and in the meantime did not
neglect to enliven and expand his mental
faculties by due attendance in the common
schools of his home township, where, until he
was nineteen years of age, he continued to
pursue his studies during the winter terms. He
then learned the blacksmith's trade under the
able direction of his father, and followed that
vocation for a short time, after which he turned
his attention to agricultural pursuits on the
old homestead, which he eventually purchased.
There he continued to be actively engaged in
general farming for sixteen years, in the mean-
time making many excellent improvements, in-
cluding the erection of substantial and well-



equipped buildings, his present fine and thor-
oughly modern residence having been com-
pleted in 1903, and being one of the most at-
tractixe farm homes in this section. His farm
comprises 105 acres and constitutes one of the
model places of the county. Mr. Inners still
maintains a general supervision of the home-
stead, though he is living practically retired
from active labor and enjoying the rewards of
his past years of toil and endeavor.

]\Ir. Inners signalized his intrinsic patriot-
ism at the time of the war of the Rebellion, in
1862 enlisting in Company G, i66th P. V. I.,
was mustered in at Harrisburg, and continued
in active service until the expiration of his
nine months' term of service, when he received
his honorable discharge, after ha\-ing- partici-
pated in various engagements, including the
battle of Black river. In politics he gives a
stanch allegiance to the Democratic party, and
his religious faith is that of the Reformed
Church, with which he has been identified from
his youth, while he has held various official
positions, including that of deacon. He was
one of those prominently concerned in mak-
ing needed repairs upon the old Blimyer
Church, in York township, which was the
pioneer religious edifice of this part of the
county.

On Oct. 9, 1864, Mr. Inners was united in
marriage to Miss Agnes Liebenstine, who was
born in York township, June 28, 1841, a
daughter of Jacob and Charlotte ( Elbert)
Liebenstine. Of the children of ]Mr. and ]\Irs.
Inners is incorporated the following record :
Jacob, who married Emma Bupp, conducts a
well appointed meat market in the village of
Paradise, York county, and is a popular and
enterprising young business man; Aaron is a
resident of Los Angeles, Cal., where he is en-
gaged in gardening; Amos, who married An-
nie Hess, resides on the old homestead, and is
associated in its management; Noah married
Elizabeth Leader and is a farmer in York
county ; Howard is in the employ of his
brother Jacob, in the meat market; Latimer
married jMarj- Bahn, and is likewise associated
in the work and management of his father's
farm ; Alice married Albert Deitz. a farmer of
Springfield township ; and Annie is the wife of
Charles Stump, of York township.

GEORGE D. JULIUS, residing retired
on his fine farm in Jackson township, belongs
to one of the very old families of Pennsyl-



896



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



vania. His birth took place June 6, 1850, and
he is a son of George and Hannah (^Lane-
hardt) Juhus.

Phihp Jacob Juhus, the great-grandfather
of George D., was a native of Germany, who
came to America and settled in Pennsylvania
in the early part of the eighteenth ceutnry. By
a deed which is in the possession of George D.
Julius, it appears that Philip Jacob Julius pur-
chased a farm of 147 acres of land in 1770.
This deed has passed down from great-grand-
father to grandfather, from grandfather to
father, and fi'om father to son, our subject.
On this farm Philip Jacob Julius spent his en-
tire life in farming. His son was born upon
the place, as was George Julius, George D.
Julius and our subject's son, who now occupies
the farm.

The children born to John and Sarah
Julius, the grandparents of George D., were:
George, Peter, Frank, Charles, Sarah, Louisa,
Thomas, and Elizabeth. In religion the family
were members of the Reformed Church and
in politics Mr, Julius was a Democrat.

George Julius, the father of our subject,
was the father of these children : Louis, George
D., William, James, John, Emma and Annie.
George Julius was a stanch Democrat, and held
the office of school director. His death oc-
curred in 1884, when he was aged sixty-four
years, and Mrs. Julius passed away in 1903, in
her seventy-ninth year.

George D. Julius was educated in the
schools of Dover township, and resided on the
farm until 1898, when he retired. On June
I, 1874, Mr. Julius married Alice A. Bott,
daughter of Peter Bott, of West Manchester
township, and the children born to this union
were: Bertius, Harvey, Minnie, George, Jr.,
Curtis, Annie and Mazie. In religion the
family are members of the German Reformed
Church, with the exception of Mrs. Julius,
who is a member of the German Lutheran
Church. Mr. Julius is an active church
worker and has been deacon. Like his father
he is a stanch Democrat, and has been active
in the work of that party, although never as-
piring to public office, having preferred to de-
vote his attention to his large agricultural in-
terests. A man of sterling character, progress-
ive and public-spirited, Mr. Julius is much
esteemed by his fellow citizens.

CONLEY. The Conley family of York
county is descended from the branch that



early settled in Lancaster county, Pa. Its rep-
resentatives have been honorable and in-
dustrious citizens, whose upright lives have
gained for them the esteem of their fellowmen.

Joseph Conley was a shoemaker near Eliza-
bethtown, Lancaster county, and there he died
while still a young man. His children were :
Samuel, of Newberry township; William, of
P"airview township, York county; and Eliza-
beth, who married Thomas Kohr, and died in
Dauphin county.

Samuel Conley, son of Joseph, was born
near Elizabethtown, Lancaster county, and
was but four years of age when his father died.
He came to York county at the age of fifteen
years, and learned the weaving trade, which he
followed about thirteen years near Emigsville.
He married 'Elizabeth Plymire, daughter of
John and Elizabeth Plymire; she died in 1874
and is buried at Miller's Cemetery in Newberry
township. Mr. Conley started farming in
Manchester township, where he remained two
years, and spent the same length of time in
Conewago township, after which he returned
to Manchester township, this time remaining
ten years. He then located in Newberry town-
ship, and bought the old David Bryan farm,
which consists of about ninety acres, where he
is still residing, now aged eighty-four years.
For several years Mr. Conley has lived a re-
tired life, and he is honored and respected by
all who know him. The children born to him
and his worthy wife were : Mary lives at Golds-
boro, the widow of David Prowell, who died
in 1888; Sarah, now deceased, married Jacob
Fink, deceased; Jacob; Samuel, Jr., died in
1864; Elizabeth married Henry Rebman, de-
ceased, and she now lives with her father;
Annie, who lives in Fairview township, is the
widow of Alexander Stittler, who died in
1904; Alice married Clayton Groom and lives
at Goldsboro borough; Henry died at home;
Eli married Sarah Strickland, daughter of Jo-
seph Strickland, of Chester county, and lives at
New Cumberland, Cumberland county; and
John, who married Clara Frey, daughter of
John and Amanda Frey, resides at New Cum-
berland.

Jacob Conley came to Newberry township
at the age of nine years, and with his father
learned the carpenter's trade, which he fol-
lowed about three years, and then went to
farming. In 1880 Mr. Conley bought his
present home of ninety-eight acres, and also
owns a farm of 133 acres which his son Sam-



BIOGRAPHICAL



89;r



uel is working. Mr. Conley is also the owner
of a fine piece of woodland, which consists of
sixteen acres. Mr. Conley has proved to be n
very successful farmer, but the success he has
attained has been through years of hard work.
His buildings are modern, well-built structures,
his land is highly cultivated and very product-
' ive, and his farms well-situated and capably
managed.

In politics Mr. Conley is a Democrat, has
been school director six years and has also
held the office of supervisor. Mrs. Conley is
a valued member of the Dunkard Church. The
family is very highly esteemed in the com-
munity. '

In 1874 Jacob Conley married Francets
Detwiler, daughter of Elias and Frances (Got-
wals) Detwiler, descendants of Montgomery
county pioneers. The children born of this
union were : Samuel D. ; Howard D. ; Elias, of
Cumberland county. Pa. ; Elizabeth and
Charles, living in NewbeiTy township ; James,
at home; Jacob, married and residing- in the
same township; Samuel D. ; Susan, married
and living at New Cumberland ; and Mary,
Joseph, Frances, Katie and Sarah, all at home.
Samuel D. Conley was born in Newberry
township, in 1877, and until he was eighteen
years of age, enjoyed the privileges of the pub-
lic schools. He then beg"an farming on the
homestead, remaining with his father until his
marriage. At the present time he is farming
a fine place of more than 133 acres, belonging
to his father, and is prospering in his under-
taking. He is a great reader of good books,
and is keeping himself thoroughly posted on
current events. In politics he is a Democrat.
In 1900 Samuel D. Conley was married to
Emma Fisher, daughter of Jeremiah and Sarah
Fisher, and they have three children, Jere-
miah, Harry and Sarah.

Howard Detwiler Conlev was born in
Newberry township May 16, 1878. When he
left school at the age of twenty years, he be-
gan \\'ork on the home farm under his father's
-guidance. After his marriage he located on
the S. H. Creeps farm near Yocumtown, but
is now on his own farm in Newberry township,
where he is finding success as the reward of
his industry.

In 1902 Howard D. Conley married Carrie
Betz, daughter of Reuben and Elizabeth
(Hykes) Betz, and they have two children:
Minnie and Annie. In his political faith Mr.
Conley is a stanch Democrat.



WORLEV F. RUDISILL. The RudisiU
family in America was planted here by Wyer-
ley Rudisill, who came from Germany in the
early days of Penns\-lvania, and followed his
trade of tailor. He had three children:
Andrew, Eve and Elizabeth.

Andrew Rudisill, born May 17, 1756, mar-
ried Elizabeth, daughter of Jacob Wildasin.
They had these children : Polly, John, Andrew,
Eve, Elizabeth, Jacob and Henry. Andrew
Rudisill died Jan. 22, 1821, aged sixty-Jour
years.

Henry Rudisill, the youngest son of An-
drew, was born Nov. 12, 1797, in Heidelberg
township, York county. On March 25, 1823,
he married Susanna, daughter of Samuel
Eichelberger, by whom he had these children :
Andrew, Henry, Adam, Samuel, Edward,
Sarah, Catherine, Amanda, Susanna, Louisa
Elizabeth, Henrietta Matilda, Maria, Reuben
and Aaron. Henry Rudisill was a farmer in'
Heidelberg township, where he died at the
age of ninety-four years, being buried at Bear's
Meeting House, near Hanover. Mrs. Susanna.
(Eichelberger) Rudisill was born Oct. 9, 1803,
and died Aug. 23, 1851, aged forty-seven
years, ten months and fourteen days. Catherine.
Eichelberger, the mother of Susanna (Eichel-
berger) Rudisill, was a granddaughter of the
great-grandfather of the elder Mathias Smy-
ser, whose sketch will be found elsewhere ia
these annals. She was also a granddaughter of
Philip Frederick Eichelberger, who came to
America fi'om Germany April 17, 1693. To
Henry and Susanna Rudisill were born the
following children: Andrew E., born Aug. 10,
1823, died in Hanover; Henry E., born Oct.
27, 1824, died in Greene Co., Ohio; Adam
E., born March 23, 1826, died in Iowa; Sam-
uel E., born Jan. 25, 1828, died in Penn town-
ship, York county; Edward E., born Dec. 5,.
1829, died in Dayton, Ohio; Sarah C, born
Dec. 30, 1 83 1, is the wife of C. H. Sultner,
of York; Amanda S., born Feb. 16, 1834,
died young: Louisa E. E., born Sept. 7, 1836,
died in York; Henrietta M. E., born Aug. 9,
1839, lives in Hanover; Maria E., born Jan.
2, 1841, died in Hanover: Reuben, born March
I, 1843, lives in Hanover: and Aaron E.

Aaron E. Rudisill, the father of our suli-
ject. was born Dec. 22, 1844. in Heidelberg
township, York county, where he received a
common school .education. He married
Amanda Forry, daughter of John and Nancy,
(Myers) Forry, the former of whom was a



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



iarmer near Hanover, who died at tlie age of
•seventy-three years, while his wife passed
away when eighty years of age. After mar-
riage ;\Ir. Rudisill located at Hanover, where
he engaged in the feed bnsiness, continuing in
that line eight years, and then went to farming-
in Adams county, near Gettysburg. He re-
mained there three years, and then located in
Eberton, now West York borough, where he
'engaged in farming. He retired from active
work in 1895. His children are: Annie S.,
the wife of Joseph Graybill, living in North
York borough; Sadie M., the wife of W.
Heindle. a farmer of West Manchester town-
ship; Amelia B., the wife of William Seager.
living in Spring Garden township ; Worley F. ;
:Harry J., who married Ella Dittinger, and
■lives in' West York borough; Percy M., who
■married Dora Plagman, and resides in South
Dakota; Amanda J., the wife of Harry De-
ven}', living in West York borough; and Mi-
nerva F., at home.

Worley F, Rudisill was born in Heidel-
berg township, York county, Sept. 20, 1874.
He attended the schools of Adams and York
counties, and worked at home on the farm
until twenty-one years of age, when he went to
learn the brick laying trade with David Shrum
of West Manchester township, continuing
there for two years. He then engaged with
Horace Epply, with whom he remained three
years, at the end of which time he engaged
■with George K. Spangler. After leaving Mr.
Spangler, Mr. Rudisill engaged in business for
himself, and built his present home in 1903, at
.No. 820 West Princess street, York.

On May i, 1898, Mr. Rudisill was united
in marriage with Miss Eliza A. Spahr, a
daughter of Samuel and Emeline (Altland)
Spahr. and to this union came the following-
children, all born at York: Aaron S., Ray-
mond E., Alda R.. and Worden W. In politics
Mr. Rudisill is a Democrat. He is connected
fraternally with Lodge No. 141, A. O. K. of
M. C.

SAMUEL A. SHROFF, active in insur-
ance work in York, was born March 20, 1834,
in Rapho township, Lancaster county.

Samuel A. Shroff's grandfather, who lived
near Colebrook Furnace, was drowned, in early
manhood, while crossing a stream, and John
Shrofif, his son, tlie father of our subject, who
was a native of Mount Joy, Lancaster county,



died in 1894, aged eighty-six years. John
Shroff married Mary . Miller, daughter of a
prominent farmer, who resided near Ephrata,
Lancaster county, and three sons were born to
her and her husband, as follows: Peter, who
was a supervisor for the Pennsylvania Canal,
was accidentally killed in an attempt to board
a moving" train of cars ; John is deceased ; and
Samuel A. Mr. Shroff's paternal grand-
mother lived to be eig'nty-seven years old,
wdiile her mother lived to the remarkable age
of one hundred and two years.

Samuel A. Shroff received his education
in the schools of Mt. Joy borough, where he
wa.s employed in the store of J. E. Cassel, re-
maining there thirteen and one-half years. Mr.
Shroff then removed to Bainbridge, Lancaster
county, and embarked in storekeeping, trad-
ing under the name of John S. Groff & Co.,
in which business he continued three years.
His next business enterprise was in forming
a partnership with M. W. Smith, in the Canal
Grocery business, continuing at that for twen-
ty-three years, and he then conducted the store
alone for a period of four or five years. In
1883 Mr. Shroff located in York and embarked
in the life insurance business, with an office
on the second floor of the Western Bank '
building, on West Market street, where the
business has grown to be one of the largest
in that line in the city of York.

Mr. Shroff married Sarah Reiff, daughter
of Joseph Reiff, a coach builder and farmer of
Manheim, Lancaster county, and of the chil-
dren born to this union Mary A. is the
widow of B. F. Mullen, assistant postmaster
of Columbia, Lancaster county ; and Gertrude,
deceased, was the wife of William C. Hay, of
Washington, D. C, superintendent in the
drilling of guns in the navy department. They
had one son, Samuel S., who died in 1902,
aged thirty-four years.

Mr. Shroff is an attaidant of St. Paul's
Lutheran Church. In politics he is a stalwart
Repubhcan, his fidelity to the principles of that
party having been recognized in an appoint-
ment to a government position at Harrisburg,
and he has been frequently a delegate to Re-
publican county conventions.

DR. EDWARD D. STERNER, a repre-
sentative physician and surgeon of York, Pa.,
where he has been engaged in the practice of
his chosen profession for the past decade and



BIOGRAPHICAL



a half, lias his office and residence at No. 527
West Market street.

Nicholas Sterner, the founder of this
branch of the family in America, came from
Germany, and in 1799 located in York county,
becoming one of the early settlers of Man-
heim township, where he developed a farm,
and where he passed the remainder of his life.

John Sterner, son of Nicholas, was born in
January, 1800, in Manheim township, this
county, and died in 1897. He married Eliza-
beth Kessler.

Jesse Sterner, son of John, was born in
York county in 1837, and has passed his entire
life here, still making his home in Codorus
township, one of the honored citizens of the
county. He devoted his active years to farm-
ing. He married Leah Deagan, who was born
in 1837, in York county, daughter of George
and Annie (Brenneman) Deagan; she died
Dec. 7, 1889, aged fifty-two years, two months
and nineteen days. To Jesse and Leah (Dea-
gan) Sterner were born children as follows:
Dr. Edward D. ; Nathan D. is a telegraph
operator and resides in York ; Jacob D. is a
successful contractor and builder in York ;
Priscilla (deceased) was the wife of Martin
S. Kase, of Jefferson borough ; Estella is the
wife of John Miller, and they reside with her
father on the old farm in .Codorus ; C. D. was
elected to the Pennsylvania Legislature in
1898, served two terms and is now farming in
Codorus township (he married Elizabeth My-
ers) ; Wesley, of York, married Elizabeth
Stansbauch; and William D., a farmer of Co-
dorus township, married Lydia Cornbower.

Edward D. Sterner passed his youth on
the homestead farm, while he secured his
rudimentary training in the village schools of
Jefferson. Li 1879 he matriculated at the
University of Maryland, Baltimore, Md.,
where he remained a student for three years,
at the end of that time beginning his prepara-
tion for the medical profession, receiving- his
degree of M. D. in 1882. He first engaged
in practice in Jefferson borough near his old
home, and there continued most successfully
until 1889, when in order to open a wider
field of professional work, he came to York,
and has built up a large and representative
practice, standing in high esteem as a physician
and public-spirited citizen. Fraternally he be-
longs to the Knights of the Golden Eagle. He
and his wife are members of the United Breth-



ren Church. In politics he is a Democrat, but
has never been an aspirant for political prefer-
ment.

On March 3, 1874, Dr. Sterner was mar-
ried to Miss Lydia Spangler, daughter of
Barnhart and Susan (Asper) Spangler, hon-
ored residents of Codorus township. She was
born in Spangler's Valley, on the Gettysburg
pike, Jan. 21, 1857. Their children were:
Larrie E., who died in 1875; Margaret G. and
Florence S., twins, the former dying in 1878,
and the latter in 1875; Joseph Franklin, born
Jan. 27, 1878; Edward Ammon, born Dec.
20, 1879; Charles Austin, born Feb. 5, 1882;
and Mabel Irene, born Dec. 9, 1884.

BENJAMIN F. ALLISON, contractor
and builder, is a native of York, born May 30,
1861, son of John and Eliza (Musser) Allison.

John Allison was born in York county in
1820. He was a miller by trade, and, in. part-
nership with Eli Kendig, built and operated
the Kendig mill. Later he had charge of
Hoke's mill and then purchased John Spren-
kle's mill property and conducted it till he was
disabled by paralysis. Mr. Allison was a lead-
ing memlaer of the first United Brethren
Church of York, served on its official board
and in 1869 was one of the most active agents
in the rebuilding of the church edifice. His



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 171 of 201)