Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 173 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 173 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


David Bixler, father of Alfred, was born
Jan. 12, 1820, in Manor township, Lancaster
county, where he attended school and learned
the trade of shoemaker. He married in Manor
township, Lancaster county, Susan Eshelman,
■of that place, daughter of John Eshelman.
About the year 1846 David Bixler moved his
family to Wayne county, Ind., the journey be-
ing accomplished by canal-boat from Columbia
to Harrisburg, thence to Pittsburg, and down
the Ohio river to Cincinnati, from which place
the party went by wagon to its destination in
Wayne county. ' The Bi.xlers were accom-
panied on this journey by the Brennerman
family of Cumberland county. For several
years David Bixler and his family resided in
Germantown, a village of Wayne county, where
be plied his trade of shoemaker. But times
"vvere hard, money was ^'ery scarce, and pay-
ment for the mere necessaries of life was made
"by barter, so the family decided to return to
Pennsylvania. The return trip was made in
a two-horse wagon, other families joining the
party. On reaching Westmoreland county the
Bixler family stopped for a time with David's
sister Nancy, at Mt. Pleasant, and Mr. Bixler
purchased a farm near by, through which ran
a valuable coal vein. There the family lived
for six or eight years. Mr. Bixler cultivating
the farm and doing a profitable business in
buying and selling horses. He then sold the
farm, which has since changed hands again at
over $300 an acre, to Abraham Overholt, and
moved back to Lancaster county. He located
in Mountville, buying a property on which he
lived for five years, carrying on his business in
horse dealing. After this he bought property
in Hellam township, whereon he lived for some
time, until he went to pass the remainder of his
life with his son Alfred. His death occurred in
1885. His wife survived him a few years,
passing awav in the home of her son Hiram.

Alfred Bixler was born in Manor town-
ship, Lancaster county, Jan. 18, 1843, ^"d his



early school days were spent in the district
schools of Westmoreland county. He had
more than ordinary difficulties to overcome, as
he did not know a word of English when he
entered school. Later he attended school in
Mountville, Lancaster county, and in Hellam
township, York county, but his school days
were short at best, for he began work at the
age of thirteen. His first position was that of
clerk in the lic^uor store of Abraham Hiestand
at York, where he remained several years.
His next venture was as a huckster in Balti-
more, Md. Soon after his marriage he began
farming on the Daniel Loucks fann, in Hellam
township, remaining there four years. He
then went onto the David Strickler farm in
the same township, where he lived for eight
years. In 1883 he bought his present farm of
forty acres, formerly the Reisinger farm, from
David Stoner. The barn on this place was
built by Mr. Bixler in 1892, and the other
buildings were erected over thirty years ago by
Samuel Leibdrknecht. The farm known as
the Jacob L. Dietz place was purchased by Mr.
Bixler in 1903, and is occupied by his son-in-
law, Harry Dietz.

Alfred Bixler married, at York, Pa., Nov.
24, 1870, Amanda Lehman, of Hellam town-
ship, where she was born Nov. 5, 1842. Her
father was George Lehman, also a native of
Hellam, where he spent most of his life as a
farmer. He was born April 21. 1818, and died
in Druck Valley, Hellam township, in 1884.
He married, Feb. 18, 1841, Susan Druck, who
was born in Hellam March 6, 1819, daughter
of Gottlieb Druck. The children of George
and Susan (Druck) Lehman were as follows:
Amanda, who married Alfred Bixler; Henry,
born April 8, 184s, who married Sarah Druck;
Samuel, born Oct. 6, 1847, who married
Feb. 24, 1870, Lena Druck; John, born
June 27, 1850. who married (first) Nov.
9, 1876, a Miss Kauffman and (second)
a Miss Crumling; Mary Ann, born Nov. 21,
1852, who married, Nov. 9, 1876, John Druck;
Franklin, born Dec. i, 1853, who married
Alice Sechrist; Leah, born Aug. 9, 1855, who
married Michael Strickler ; and Frederick, born
Nov. 14, 1863, who married Mary Major.

To Alfred and Amanda (Lehman) Bi.xler
have been born the following children : Annie
Lehman, born July 24, 1871, who married
Harry Dietz, a farmer of Hellam township,
and is the mother of two children, Esther and



9o6



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY. PENNSYLVANIA



Vera; Ellen Lehman, born Feb. 9, 1874. who
married William Dietz, Jr., a farmer of Hellam
township, and has one child, Harold ; Susie,
born July 12, 1877, who lives at home; Harriet
Lehman, born Jan. 30, 1880, who died Sept.
2, 1901 ; and Latimer, born Jan. 13, 1885, who
is at home.

Alfred Bixler has earned his success by
dint of hard work. From his boyhood he has
had to make his own way, and what he has ac-
quired has been by long, hard,honest toil. His
early earnings went to help his parents, and he
cared for them in their old age, buying for
them a comfortable home and letting them
want for nothing that kindness could suggest.
Mr. Bixler has been a lifelong Democrat, and
cast his first vote for Gen. McClellan. He was
brought up in the Lutheran Church, and has
been active in the township for the past twelve
years as one of the relief directors.

JOSEPH B. DILLER, one of the promi-
nent and influential farmers of Heidelberg
township, York county, is engaged in the cul-
tivation of his fine tract of land near Bear
Meeting House, along the York Road. He
was born in 1864, near Newville, Cumberland
Co., Pa., son of Francis and Mary ( Burk-
holder) Diller.

The fovmder of the above named Diller
family was Francis Diller, the great-great-
grandfather of Joseph B. Diller, who came with
his wife Anna and family from Switzerland in
1754. and settled in Lancaster Co., Pa., where
he died in 1783. His wife Anna .went with
her son Abraham to Cumberland Co., Pa., and
about 1790 settled on the "First farm," about
two and one-half miles northeast of Newville,
on which part of said tract (if not misinform-
ed) now stands the Diller Church (Mennonite)
and the burying ground is located where
Anna Diller was buried. She attained the age
of one hundred and two years.

Francis Diller, son of Abraham Diller, was
married to Mary Detwiler, and following are
the names of the children born to that union :
Abraham, Susannah, Martin, Francis, Eliza-
beth, John and Jacob. Francis Diller was a
prominent farmer, yet gave a liberal portion of
his time to winning souls to Christ, being a
preacher in the Mainonite Church, and for
many years preaching in the Diller Church.
He made his home in Cumberland county. Pa.,
all his life, and he died in 1857.



Francis Diller, the father of Joseph B., re-
ceived a common school education, and when
young learned the cooper's trade, which he fol-
lowed for fourteen years in Cumberland Co.,
Pa. He then went to farming" in Greene
township, Franklin county, where he owned a
tract of land, and there he died in 1886, aged
sixty years. His wife passed away in 1895,,
in the faith of the Mennonite Church, to which
her husband also adhered. Both were buried
in the graveyard near Chambersburg, at the
Mennonite Church. Their children were :
Elizabeth, deceased ; Mary, deceased ; Joseph
B. ; Samuel married Lucy Strite and lives in
Franklin county ; Jacob married Nancy Det-
rich, and lives in the same county ; Noah died
young; John married Maggie Strite, and lives
in Washington county, Maryland.

Joseph B. Diller was but eight years old
when he left Cumberland county and went with
his father to Franklin county. He attended
the Smoketown school until seventeen years of
age, and then worked at farming in Franklin
Co., Pa., until twenty-two years old. He mar-
ried Elizabeth Shank, of Adams Co., Pa., and
they began housekeeping and farming in
Franklin county, later moving to Adams coun-
ty. Pa., where Mr. Diller followed trucking,
and attended the Gettysburg markets. He re-
mained in Adams county nine years, after
which he moved to York county, locating in
his present home in 1904; in 1903 he erected a
fine house and barn along the York road, at
Bear Meeting House. Mr. D'iller has h6zn
very successful in his undertakings, and is rated
one of the substantial men of the community.
Mrs. Elizabeth (Shank) Diller died in 1899.

In 1 901, Mr. Diller was married to Annie
S. Bair, daughter of Daniel and Maria
(Shenk) Bair, and granddaughter of John
Bair, a very prominent farmer of West Man-
chester township. John Bair died in North
Codorus township. Daniel Bair, Mrs. Diller's
father, was born in West Manchester township,
and after marriage located in North Codorus
township, where he became well known as a
prosperous farmer, and died aged fifty-nine
years, the father of the following children :
Reuben, John, Daniel, Henry, Annie S., Jacob,
Maria. After his first wife's death Mr. Bair
married Mattie Stauffer, and had three chil-
dren : Mattie, Amanda and Lydia.

The children born to Mr. Diller and his
first wife were: Annie M., Jacob A., John D.,



BIOGRAPHICAL



907



Samuel J., Levi J., and Martha E. To the
second marriage were born: Lydia M., Emma
M., and Reuben H. Mr. and Mrs. Diller are
members of the Mennonite Church.

CHARLES HOLTEN BYERS, traveling
salesman for L. M. Hartman, dry goods and
notions, was born on his father's farm, which
his grandfather had entered in 1836, situated
close to Burbank, Wayne Co., Ohio.

Carley Byers and his wife, the great-
grandparents of our subject, came from Ger-
many to the LTnited States before the Revolu-
tionary war, in which struggle he served as an
officer in Washington's army, being wounded
in battle. John Byers, his son, was born in
Warrington township, York county, in 1800,
died at Burbank, Ohio, Sept. 20, 1879. His
wife was Elizabeth Umberger, of Lisburn,
Pennsylvania.

David Byers, father of our subject, was born
in Warrington township, Aug. 28, 1827, and
lived there until 1836, when he was taken by
his parents to Burbank, Ohio. The- family
made the trip across country in a wagon, walk-
ing the greater part of the way, while the
mother carried a sick infant for most of the
journey. Mr. Byers was a farmer all of his
life, and was very successful in his operations.
He died Aug. 12. 1905. He married Miss
Ann Rebecca Rieff, an aunt of the famous
jockeys. Lester and Johnnie Rieff. Charles
Holten is the only living child of his parents'
union, his brother Abraham R., having died
at the age of twenty-three years, and a sister,
Ora, having died in infancy.

Charles Holten Byers's education was be-
gun in the public schools of his native place, and
continued at Burbank Academy and Ashland
College, Ashland, Ohio. He left school at the
age of twenty-one years, having had as class-
mates some of the most prominent men of the
State, many of whom are now well-knowm
men in manufacturing and political circles. As
a boy and young man he worked on his fath-
er's farm. He came of a prominent Republican
family, and during many of the late President
McKinley's campaigns was in close touch with
the future president and accompanied him on
many of his stumping tours through that sec-
tion of Ohio. Prior to 1891 he travelled for
the Western Publishing House of Chicago,
selling school books and supplies. In this
year he accepted a position with th.e .\bner



Royce Company, of Cleveland, Ohio, selling-
wholesale perfumery, extracts and soaps, and
remained with this tirm until 1900. After his
second marriage Mr. Byers left the road, and
for a period resided in Burbank, Ohio, looking
after his farming interests. In 1904 Mr.
Byers took his present position, removing from
Ohio, to different points in Virginia, and in
November of that year settled in the citv of
York.

Mr. Byers has been twice married, first at
Louisville, Ky., Nov. 29, 1883, to Miss Emma
Jahrreis, then residing in Louisville, daughter
of Frederick Jahrreis, a marble dealer of Mad-
ison, Ind., and she died in Louisville, Nov. 19,
1898, leaving these children: Lee D., born at
Wichita, Kans., June 3, 1885, taught school at
North wood, N. Dak., and is now teaching at
Portland, Ore. ; and Ralph Eckeman, born at
West Salem, Ohio, June 22, 1892, is now at
school. Mr. Byers married (second) at
Scranton, Pa., Sept. 5, 1900, Miss Alice Lenore
Harvey, born at Mansfield Centre, Conn.,
daughter of Joseph and Emily (Phillips) Har-
vey. Her father died in 1901, while her
mother still survives. One child has been born
to this union, Charles Harvey, born May i.
1903, at Burbank, Ohio. Mr. Byers was rear-
ed in the faith of the Evangelical Church, but
is liberal in his religious views. He is a mem-
ber of the Jr. O. U. A. M., West Salem
(Ohio) Council, No. 168.

HENRY F. ROHRBAUGH, of Penn
township, was born in that locality Feb. 24,
1854, on the old Rohrbaugh homestead, son of
Amos and Fanny (Forry) Rohrbaugh.

The maternal grandfather was John Forry,
who married a Miss Myers ; the paternal grand-
father was Henry Rohrbaugh. a native of York
county, whose wife was a Miss Runkel. Amos
Rohrbaugh was born in Manheim township, in
1827, and died in 1896, aged sixty-eight yeurs:
he was widely known as a successful farmer,
and was a man very highly respected for his
many sterling qualities. His wife was a na-
tive of Penn township, born in 1825, and is
still living, residing in Hanover, near the toll
gate. To their union were born two sons, —
Henry F. and John F., the latter a prominent
contractor in Hanover, — and, six daughters.
Mary, Fannie, Katharine, Amanda, Sarah and
Barbara, all married.

Henry F. Rohrbaugh attended the village



9o8



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



school in New Baltimore until he was nearly
eighteen, and then continued at home, helping
his father on the farm for the next six years.
He then married and settled on his father's
property, where he has ever since been engaged
in general farming and stock raising, and he
has become an extensive feeder of cattle for
export. He has also branched out into a dairy
business, milks ten or twelve cows, and sells to
the creameries in Hanover. The farm, known
originally as the Jacob Bucher farm, contains
1 08 acres of choice land in a high state of cul-
tivation, and with a goodly number of substan-
tial buildings. It is supplied with the best of
machinerv for all the various activities carried
on. and the place is altogether one of the best
equipped properties in the vicinity. In politcs
Mr. Rohrbaugh affiliates with the Repub-
licans.

At the age of twenty-four Mr. Rohrbaugh
married Miss Catherine Bare, daughter of
Daniel and Susan (Be'chtel) Bare, of Penn
township. Six children have been born to
them, namely: Emma J., wife of George Bar-
gelt, a tinner of Hanover; Catherine, Amos,
William, Edward, and Daniel, at home. Mrs.
Rohrbaugh is a member of the German Bap-
tist Church.

CHARLES NELSON WOLF, M. D., of
Hellam. York county, is very popular in the
town where he has lived since he was a small
boy.

The great-grandfather of Dr. Wolf was a
native of Germany, where he lived and died.
His son came to America and settled in Lan-
caster county, Pa., moving from there to
Adams county. He was the father of Susan,
Mrs. Zouck, the mother of Jacob Zouck, a
wealthy man of Hanover, Pa. ; Mrs. Jacob
Stock; Samuel, father of Dr. Wolf; Mrs,
Meakley : and Jacob and Reuben, deceased.

Samuel Wolf, father of Dr. Wolf, was born
in Hamilton township, Adams county, where
he spent his life as a farmer. He married
Gertrude West, and they had the following
children : Mary, wife of Dr. J. A. Armstrong,
of Hellam ; Aaron, a stock farmer of Adams
county, married to Emma Hare ; William, a
farmer of Adams county, married to Rachel
Wolf; Sarah, wife of Jacob Hoover, of Adams
county; Lewis, a farmer of y\dams county,
married to Lydia Reynolds; and Charles Nel-
son. Samuel Wolf was a Democrat in politics,
and he and his family were members of the



Lutheran Church. He died in 1889, at the
age of seventy-four ; his wife is still living, in
her eighty-fourth year.

Charles Nelson Wolf was born Oct. 9, 1863,
in Hamilton township, Adams county, and his
first school days were spent at Pine Run in
that county. When he was eleven years old,
he left school there, and came to Hellam to
live with his sister, wife of Dr. J. A. Arm-
strong,and there he attended the public schools,
making rapid progress. One of his teachers
was Mr. Gardiner, present county superintend-
ent of schools. In due time he received a
teacher's certificate, and taught in Druch Val-
ley for one term. Not taking kindly to the
profession of teaching, he returned to his sis-
ter's, where he steadily added to his knowledge
of medicine under Dr. Armstrong's tutelage.
He spent a year at York Academy under Prof.
Stauffer, and then decided to enter Gettysburg
College to study for the ministry. He mas-
tered the two years preparatory work in twelve
weeks, but when ready to enter college found
that the field of medicine was more attractive
than the ministry. Once more, therefore, he
returned to his sister's, determined on the
study of medicine for his life work. He passed
a preparatory examination at York under Dr.
Kerr and Dr. Blair, and in 1866 entered the
medical school of the University of Pennsyl-
vania, in Philadelphia. He was graduated
with the class of 1889, Dr. Frank Small, of
York, being one of his classmates. He began
practice in Hellam, where he remained two
years. He then went to Yorkana. where he
soon built up a large practice, equal to that of
any country doctor in the county. The work
presently becoming too heavy. Dr. Wolf went
to East Berlin, Adams county, hoping for a
less arduous life, but there also he had more to
do than his strength would permit. Then the
health of his brother-in-law. Dr. Armstrong,
failed about this time, and Dr. Wolf returned
to Hellam to assist him, and he is at present in
charge of the greater part of his practice. Dr.
Wolf is an able physician, he is greatly liked
and his services are much in demand.

Dr. Wolf married in Hellam, Dec. 25,
1888, Alice Abel, daughter of Benjamin and
Maria (Ness) Abel, the latter of whom is liv-
ing. The children of this marriage are :
Stella, Vera, Erma, Ruth, Nelson, Carrie and
Lorene. Dr. Wolf was brought up in the
Lutheran faith, but is not connected with any
church. In politics he is a Democrat.



BIOGRAPHICAL



909



HENRY F. WALKER (deceased) was
for a number of years engaged in a coal and
wood business in York, Pa., where he died in
1902. He was born in Cleveland, O., in 1865,
son of Girard Walker.

Henry F. Walker received a good educa-
tion, and for a number of years was employed
by the Adams Express Company, of Cleveland.
He spent two years in Virginia in the mercan-
tile business, and came to York in 1892, en-
gaging in the coal and lumber business with
his brothers-in-law, later embarking in the coal
business on his own account. He was a good
business man, and his business was prospering"
greatly, when he died in York, Sept. 19, 1902,
and was buried at the Prospect Hill cemetei-y.

In 1886 Mr. Walker married Louise W.
Grothe, daughter of Henry and Wilhelmina
(Brinkman) Grothe, and to this union were
born : Emma, William, Martin and Gerhard.
In politics Mr. Walker was a Democrat. The
family were members of St. John's Lutheran
Church. Mrs. Walker resides at her home.
No. 407 East Prospect street, York, superin-
tending the coal business, which, her brother is
carrying on for her.

HENRY W. EMIG, a prominent farmer
citizen of Hellam township, is an elder brother
of Albert G. Emig.

Mr. Emig was born in Hellam township,
on the beautiful family farm, Jan. 20, 1846.
He attended school from the time he was six
years old until he was twenty, but although he
was fond of study, he was more fond of work.
He began his chosen work of farming when
only a boy, and remained with his father until
he was twenty-six years old. He then bought
his present fine farm of 1 1 8 acres. The house
in which he lives was built by the man who
bought the property from William Penn. Mr.
Emig has made many improvements on the
farm ; the present barn, one of the best in the
county, 80x60 feet in dimensions, was erected
by him in 1889. In 1878, he built the tobacco
shed, 80x64 feet.

For ten years Mr. Emig lived on his farm
in bachelor solitude, and then married Susan
Smuck, daughter of Henry and Mary Ann
(Keener) Smuck. They have two children,
Guy and Clare. Mr. Emig is a loyal Repub-
lican in politics. He has no church connection.
He is a man much looked up to in the com-
munity where he lives, and he has earned his
position by hard, honest work. He began



with almost no capital, and has accumulated a
competence through untiring energy and in-
dustry.

_ JOHN FORSYTH MAUGHLIN, justice
of the peace and school director of East Hope-
well township, York county, Pa., was born on
the home farm near Airville, York county,
Sept. 17, 1865, son of John James Maughlin.
William Maughlin, the great-grandfather
of John F., came from the North of Ireland to
America, and is supposed to have settled in the
lower end of York county, where he died. His
son, John, was born in the neighborhcjod of
Airville, and was a cooper by trade, although
farming was his chief occupation throughout
life. He married Miss Mary Smith, also of
that section. He was a soldier in the War of
1812-14 and was stationed at Baltimore, Md.
He died near Airville in 1S81, aged ninety-
three years, his wife preceding him to the
grave. These children were born to him:
Joseph Smith, who died in Washington State;
Martha, Mrs. William Wilson, of Aiirville;
John James, the father of John F. ; Margaret,
Mrs. John McKinley, who died in College
Springs, Page Co., Iowa; Jane, Mrs. Murray
Wilson, who died in Chanceford township;
Mary Ann, Mrs. David Forsyth, of College
Springs, Page county, Iowa ; Lizzie and Eze-
miah, residents of Airville; and William, who
married Rachel McKinlev, and died in Air-
ville.

John James Maughlin was horn in 1828
near Airville, and followed the occupation of
farming all of his life. He married Mary Jane
Grove, born at Muddy Creek Forks, in 1837,
daughter of Thomas W. and Susan (Lemon)
Grove. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs.
Maughlin settled on a portion of the old home-
stead, and there the former died in 1890, Mrs.
Maughlin surviving and making her home near
Airville. During the Civil War, the father
of John F. Maughlin was a member of the
Home Guards. He was connected with the
Guinston U. P. Church for the greater part of
his life, but in his later years joined the Air-
ville U. P. Church. He and his w'ife had
children as follows: Ida, who died young; John
F., a detailed record of whose life is found be-
low ; Mary E., Mrs. William McBurney Grove,
residing near Airville: Thomas Grove, who
married Jennie Skelton, and lives on a part of
the home farm.

John Forsyth Maughlin attended the com-



9IO



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



mon schools of his township, and the Normal
school of York, later taking a course at a Phil-
adelphia business college. His first local teacher
\vas Frances Cameron, his last being Agnes
Campbell, and while in York he was under the
tuition of Prof. D. "H. Gardner. He was
reared to farm pursuits, and taught school for
three years in Chanceford and Lower Chance-
ford townships. On Oct. i, 1896, he married
Miss Ella E. J. Hyson, of East Hopewell town-
ship, daughter of Archibald Hyson, a full
sketch of whom will be found elsewhere. After
marriage Mr. and Mrs. Maughlin lived at Mc-
Call's Ferry for six years, and Mr. Maughlin
was in the general store of Samuel D. Fry. At
the end of that period Mr. Maughlin purchased
his present farm of sixty-two acres from the
estate of John C. Liggett, upon which he has
since resided and which has proved to be a very
producti\-e, fertile piece of farm property. Mr.
Maughlin has been very successful in his agri-
cultural operations, and can speak from exper-
ience and say that farming, when properly man-
aged, is a profitable business.

Mr. Maughlin is now serving his third year
a's school director, and was elected a justice of
the peace in 1905. He takes a great interest
in all educational matters. He is a member of
the Guinston U. P. Church, in which he is an
elder (ordained May 3, 1895), and was a trus-
tee of the church for six years. At present he
is superintendent of the Sunday school.

John Forsyth Maughlin and his wife have
been the parents of two children, Mary Emma
and Clara Gemmill.

ANDREW E. KLINE, who resides on a
neat little farm in Monaghan township, is one



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 173 of 201)