Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 174 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 174 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of the most popular auctioneers in York coun-
tv. He was born June 28, 1846, in Monaghan
township, son of John D. and Mary (Myers)
Kline, and a grandson of David Kline. On
the paternal side he is of English descent,
while on the maternal side he comes from
Pennsylvania-Dutch stock.

John D. Kline, the father of A. E., was a
farmer of Monaghan township, where he spent
his whole life, engaged in agricultural pursuits.
He and his wife were the parents of thirteen
children, as follows: Julia A., Mary, Sarah,
Jane. Margaret, Elizabeth, Elmira, Catherine,
William, Daniel, David. John and Andrew E.
This familv were consistent members of the
Church of God, while Mr. Kline was a Repub-
lican in politics. His death occurred in 1855,



when lie was aged fifty-eight years, while his
wife passed away in 1892, at the age of seven-
ty-five.

Andrew E. Kline recei\-ed his education in
the common schools of his native township, and
then engaged in farming", to which he devoted
all his attention until 1884, when he turned his
attention to auctioneering. In this line he has
been eminently successful, and is very well
knowji throughout the counties of Adams.
Cumberland. York and Perry. He under-
stands his business thoroughly, and his genial,
■pleasing manner has won for him a host of
friends. Mr. Kline also carries on farming in
a small way, his neat little farm being kept in a
good state of cultivation.

In 1866 Mr. Kline married Sarah J. Mc-
Clure, daughter of William McClure, of York
county, and one child was born to the union,
U. S.' Grant. Mrs. Kline died in 1892. Mr.
Kline is a stanch Democrat, has served as
judge of elections, and is now serving as coun-
ty committeeman.

S. OSCAR MILLER, of Jackson town-
ship, is a prominent farmer and business man
who has attained his present position of pros-
perity and inflvience by his own untiring ef-
forts, and is in the best sense of the word a
self-made man, although he started with' the
advantages accruing from a good education
and the influences of an intellectual atmosphere
in the home. He was born in Adams county,
Feb. 24, 1853, ^ son of Samuel B. and Eliza
M. (Malaun) Miller.

Isaac Miller, paternal grandfather of S.
Oscar, was a native of Maryland and through-
out his life was occupied in tanning. During his
youth and early manhood he worked in Mary-
land, but later moved to Pennsylvania and
located two miles east of Gettysburg, where he
became one of the prosperous men of the
region, and where he remained until his death.
He married Miss Elizabeth Sleigel, and six
children were born to them, as follows : Sam-
uel B. ; John ; Susan, Mrs. Osburn ; Elizabeth,
Mrs. Sourbeer ; Maggie, Mrs. Mertz ; and Mary
A.. Mrs. Clink. Mr. and Mrs. Miller were
German Baptists in their religious belief, and
he was an ardent Democrat in politics.

Samuel B. Miller was born in Mount Joy
township. Adams county, and was sent to the
primitive schools of that district. Later he at-
tended Oxford Colles'e, and received a good
education, preparing himself for teaching. For



BIOGRAPHICAL



911



twenty-two years he followed that profession
Avith great success, but he also found time to
carry on both tanning and farming and during
the latter part of his life confined himself to
such business. He accumulated a comfortable
property, gave all his children good educations,
and took a very high place in the community.
In politics he was a strong Democrat, and
prominent in local affairs, served as school di-
rector and in several township offices, and was
elected justice of the peace. The children born
to Samuel B. and Eliza M. Miller were : Isaac
A. (deceased), John F. (deceased), S. Oscar,
Benjamin M., Lemuel ¥.. Ephraim, William
H., Levi A. (of Baltimore), Eliza A., and
Ella I. (deceased). Mr. and Mrs. Miller were
devout followers of the German Baptist faith.

S. Oscar Miller was born in Mount Joy
township, Adams county, and attended the pub-
lic schools there. As he grew older he was put
at farm work, but later learned the miller's
trade. This, however, he did not follow long,
soon giving his attention' once more to farm-
ing, which has been his occupation for twenty-
seven years. In 1889 he moved to York coun-
ty and rented a farm until I90i,when he bought
his present property of 115 acres in Jackson
township, and moved thither. He also owns
a large farm in Adams county. Besides his
farming Mr. Miller is largely engaged in the
manufacture of lime and allied interests, own-
ing one of the largest lime kilns in the State,
"with an output of from three to five carloads a
day, and he turns out about the same quantity
of crushed stone. He also handles lime fer-
tilizers and coal and has an extensive trade all
over Pennsylvania, built up solely by his own
enterprise and business ability. He is one of
the successful and progressive men of the
county.

Mr. Miller was married in 1876 to Miss
Mary A. Jacobs, a daughter of Solomon Ja-
cobs, a native of York county. The children
born to this union are: Clayton, John F., Sam-
uel B., Luther E., Viola D., N. Bernice. Mary
E., Harvey O., Charles W. and Arthur R.
Mr. Miller is identified with the Democratic
party, although he belie\-es in voting for the
man best qualified for the office.

DR. VALLAXDIGHAM HAWKINS,
the proprietor of a blooded stock-farm of 135
acres in East Hopewell township. York coun-
ty, was born on the homestead farm in Fawn
township, Feb. 21, 1864. He attended the



public schools until twelve years of age and
then spent four years at Fawn Grove Academy.
His first teacher was Miss Hannah Gailey, and
at the academy he was under the tutelage of
Samuel Beard and Professor Green. His
father being a physician, it was very natural
that young Hawkins should favor the study of
medicine from bo3diood. He entered the
Freshman class at Swarthmore College, Phila-
delphia, where he spent three years, and then
accepted a position with his vmcle, J. T. Jones,
as clerk in his Cincinnati publishing house.
There he spent one year, after wliich he taught
in the public schools of Fawn Grove for one
year, and for a period of six years conducted a
mercantile business at that place. He then en-
tered the Baltimore Medical School, class of
1892, and was graduated in 1894, beginning
the practice nf his profession in Fawn Grove.
He remained there for seven years, removing
to his present farm in 1901, and establishing a
blooded stock-farm for the raising of thorough-
bred Jersey cattle and fancy poultry. He owns
135 acres, and the log house which stands upon
the farm was built in 1784, the stone addition
being erected in 1806. This farm was known
as Walnut Ridge and was granted to one \\^ill-
iam Liggett.

Dr. Hawkins is a member of the Methodist
Protestant Church of Fawn Grove, in which
he has served as trustee. In political matters
he is a Democrat and has served in a number
of minor offices. On May 17, 1893, ^^ Fawn
Grove, the Doctor and Miss Ella C. M. Wright
were united in marriage. His wife is the
daughter of Rev. T. H. Wright, a prominent
M. P. preacher of York county, and IMaggie
(Jones) Wright, also of that county.

RO^IANUS T. PAULES. of Lower
Windsor township, is a grandson of Adam
Panics, who was born and reared in Lower
Windsor township, and there continued to
follow agricultural pursuits during the greater
portion of his life. The original progenitors
in America came from Germany and settled
in York county in the early period, Avhen that
section was practically a sylvan wilderness.
Adam Panics died in his native township, a
prominent and influential citizen. He was an
active worker in the ranks of the Democratic
party, and held offices of local trust, including
that of county commissioner, while for manv
years he was an elder in the Reformed Church,
being one of its most zealous supporters. He



912



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



was twice married, his first union having been
with Ehzabeth Hartzler, who died in Lower
Windsor township. She was an aunt of Re\'.
Jacob Hartzler, who was at one time a bishop
of the Evangelical Church, which he represent-
ed as a missionary in Japan for eight years.
Adam Paules chose for his second wife Harriet
Kauffelt, who survived him a number of years.
The children of the first union were as follows :
Sarah (familiarly known as Sally) became the
wife of Joseph Dietz and died at Wrightsville,
York county ; John, who married Lydia Paules,
died in Lower Windsor township; Jacob, who
married Julia Ann Keller, a maternal aunt of
Romanus T., likewise died in that township;
Leah, the wife of William Blessing, died in
the city of York, in 1902 ; Samuel, who married
Henrietta Jacobs, died also in Lower Windsor
township ; Maria is the widow of George Rath-
fon and resides in Wrightsville; David E., de-
ceased, was the father of Romanus T. Paules.

David E. Paules was born in Lower Wind-
sor township, and was there reared and edu-
cated, dying at the untimely age of thirty-two
years. He was a man of high principles, in-
dustrious and energetic and endowed with
strong intellectuality, being held in high esteem
in his native county. He was a Democrat in
politics and his religious faith was that of the
Reformed Church. His wife, whose maiden
name was Elizabeth Keller, still survives him,
and resides in York ; she is now almost seventy
years of age. She is a member of the well-
known Keller family, of whom mention is made
in various sketches in this work. David E.
and Elizaljeth Paules became the parents of five
children, namely : Otis Sylvester married Ellen
Leber, a sister-in-law of Romanus T. Paules,
who is now deceased ; the husband is a resident
of Delroy, York county. Romanus T. was the
next in order of birth. Cecelia Viola is the wife
of Henry Blessing, of Lower Windsor town-
ship. Caroline Elizabeth is the wife of N. S.
Thomas, of York. Priscilla Jane is the wife of
Irwin Seachrist. also of that city.

Romanus Theophilus Paules was born in
the immediate vicinity of Yorkana, York coun-
ty, Dec. 21, 1861, his birthplace being the old
ancestral farm of his grandfather. He attend-
ed the public schools of Lower Windsor town-
ship until he had attained the age of nineteen
years, one of his first teachers having been his
uncle, Samuel Paules, while he finished his
school work under the instruction of Alice
Dietz, who is now the wife of Henry Beard,



of York. He was a child at the time of his
father's death, but his mother kept the family
together and properly reared her children.
.Atter the death of her father she purchased a
portion of the land in his estate, the place being
located in Lower Windsor township, and she
there engaged in farming, with the aid of her
sons, devoting special attention to the raising
of tobacco; at intervals her boys also worked,
by the day for others. Romanus T. Paules
remained on this farm from his fifteenth year
until he had attained the age of twenty, when
he began an apprenticeship at the trade of
cigarmaking, entering the factory of Reuben A.
Paules, his cousin. He finally became foreman
of this large establishment in Delroy. The
cousin mentioned was the founder of the fac-
tory, his having been the first business place in
the now thriving town, while Romanus T.
Paules there erected for his own use one of the
first houses, retaining the position of foreman
of the cigar manufactory for a period of twelve
years. He then became associated with Harri-
son Fauth in purchasing the plant, which was
thereafter conducted under the firm name of
Paules & Fauth until the autumn of 1901, when
Air. Paules sold his interest to his partner and
located at Yorkana. He there purchased the
general store of Edward J. Libhart, which he
still conducts, controlling a large and repre-
sentative trade. In the same autumn Mr.
Paules also associated himself with Alexander
Dietz in purchasing the cigar factory and box.
factory of Harry Dellone, at Hanover, York
county, and they have since carried on the en-
terprise successfully, conducting operations,
under the title of the Yorkana Cigar Company,
and devoting their attention to the manufac-
ture of cigars and wholesale dealing in leaf
tobacco.

Romanus T. Paules has been the architect
of his own fortunes, having inherited but little
from his father's estate, but having from the
start been careful in conserving his resources,
through close application to business and by
means of proper economy. He expended $1,-
500 in erecting his residence in Delroy shortly
after his marriage, and still had a reserve of
$400. Though reared in the Democratic
faith, Mr. Paules has shown the courage of
his convictions by arraying himself as a stanch
supporter of the Republican party, being prom-
inent in its local councils. He has been a fre-
quent delegate to county conventions of his
party and has served as a member of the town-



BIOGRAPHICAL



913^.



ship election board, while he has served over six
consecutive years as school director. He and
his family are prominent members of the Re-
formed Church, in which he is an elder.

On July 28, 1890, Mr. Paules was united in
marriage to Emma C. Leber, who was born
and reared in Lower Windsor township.daugh-
ter of David and Magdalena (Hengst) Leber.
Mr. and Mrs. Paules have seven children,
namely: George Eugene, John Harrison, Eva
Pauline, David Hartzler, Esther Luella, Mar-
guerite Elizabeth and Charles Edgar.

- GEORGE B. MENGES (deceased), who
for many years was a prosperous farmer of
Jackson township, York county, was torn July
18, 1 8 18, in Codorus township, son of Jacob
and Sabina (Ziegler) Meng-es, both of whom
were natives of Pennsylvania. Jacob Menges
followed farming and distilling for many
years. To himself and wife the following
children were born : Daniel, Jacob, John, Sam-
uel, Sarah, George B. and Elizabeth. The
family were consistent members of the Luth-
eran Church, while in politics Mr. Menges was
a Democrat.

George B. Menges attended the common
and subscription schools of his township and
worked upon his father's farm until he reached
his majority. At that time he learned the
blacksmith trade, which he carried on in Nash-
ville and the vicinity of Spring Grove for many
years. In 1837 he moved to the home now oc-
cupied by his son, where he built a blacksmith
shop and followed his trade in connection with
farming until 1891, when he practically re-
tired from active life. In 1854 Mr. Menges
married Mary Copp, by whom he had three
children, Maggie, George and Jacob H., the last
named being the only survivor. In his reli-
gious belief Mr. Menges was a Lutheran. Mrs.
Menges died in 1883, at the age of fifty-five
years, and Mr. Menges died Feb. 8, 1904. He
was a man universally respected, honest in
word and deed, one who filled honorably every
demand in life made upon him.

Jacob H. Menges, the only surviving child
of George B. Menges, is now manager
and owner of the old farm, which consists of
twenty-eight acres. He was born March 18,
1856, was educated in the schools of Jackson
township, and has never left the parental roof.
In 1878 he married Emma Livingstone, who
was born in Paradise township, York county,
daughter of George and Sophia (Bougher)



Livingstone, and one child has been born to
this union, Lottie R., who married Bert Haas
and has two children, George B. and Howard
T. Mr. Menges is a Lutheran and active in
church work, being secretary and treasurer of
the Sunday-school and deacon. In politics he
is a Democrat, but he has never aspired to pub-
lic ofhce. He is a respected citizen of Jackson-
township, honest and upright, and always ready,
to do his part in promoting public improve -
ments and in advancing the influence of the:-
school and church.

GEORGE HOFFMAN, a survivor of
the Civil war living retired in Washington ■>
township, York county, was born in Tyrone :
township, Perry Co., Pa., Feb. 15, 1836, son.
of Jacob and Mary A. (Nanamaker) Hoffr -
man.

Jacob Hoffman was born in Germany, and-
came to America in young manhood, crossing;
the ocean when it required eight weeks to-
make the voyage. He settled first in Mary-
land, remaining there a short time, and them
going to Tyrone township, Perry county, where:
he lived sixteen years. In 1848 he came to-
York county, and through the rest of his active:
life followed farming in Washington town-
ship. He married Mary A. Nanamaker,
whose parents were Germans. She died at the
age of fifty-six years, and he when eighty-
seven years, seven months, twenty days old.
Both are buried at the Red Run Church in
Washington township. Their children were:
John; Jacob; L3'dia and Susan, deceased;
Mary and Eliza.

George Hoffman attended school at Krall-
town and Landisburg until he was twenty-twa
years old. He enlisted in the service of
his country, entering Company H, i66th P.
V. I., being mustered in at York. After a
service of nine months, his first term of enlist-
ment, he became a \eteran, re-enlisting in
Company I, 200th P. V. I., remaining in the
service until the close of the war, and partici-
pating in all the battles of the company and
regiment. On one occasion he was taken
prisoner, and was held by the enemy for nine
days, when he was exchanged, rejoining his
regiment and sharing their fate. He was in
the service for twenty-two months, and during
all this time bore himself as became a good
soldier and loyal man. After the war he re-
turned to Washington township, and resumed
work at the wheelwright trade, in which he



914



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



had had some training prior to enlisting, and
Ihis he followed for ten years. Then he bought
.a farm of Henry Asper, consisting oi eighty-
two acres, located in Washington township,
.and here he followed farming- for fifteen years.
In 1890 he came to his present place, retiring
.at the same time from business activit}'.

Mr. Hoffman married !Mrs. Elizabeth
Hinkel, widow of George Hinkel and daughter
■of i\ndrew Stothauer, and they ha\'e one son,
Isaac, who married Elizabeth Kraft, and is
farming his father's land. ]\Ir. Hoffman is a
Republican, and is a consistent member of the
Lutheran Church. Mrs. Hoffman had one son
by her former marriage, D. Frank Hinkel. Mr.
George Hinkel was a machinist; he enlisted in
the army in the early days of the Rebellion,
.was taken prisoner and died at Andersonville.

WILLIAM SMITH GOTWALD, one of
the well known business men of York, Pa., dis-
trict agent for the Sun Life Assurance Com-
pany, was born May 14, 1865. in this city, son
-of Andrew J. and Eliza Ann (Smith) Got-
wald.

John Gotwald, the paternal grandfather,
was a well-known man on the canal, in York
county, operating boats.

Andrew J. Gotwald, the father, died Oct.
■4, 1903. For thirty years he was superintend-
ent of Billmyer & Small's car works. He served
in the Civil war with distinguished gallantry
as a member of one of the first enlisted com-
panies of York county, and belonged to the
200th P. V. I. On the maternal side, our sub-
ject's uncle was the late W. W. Smith, for
man}' years a prominent shoe dealer at York.
Mrs. Eliza Ann (Smith) Gotwald died Aug.
23, 1903, aged seventy-three years, the mother
■of four children : William Smith ; Elmer M., a
chainmaker at York; Bertha K.. who died May
"5, 1903. aged thirty-four years; and Nettie
C, who died Sept. 19, 1904. aged thirty-three
years.

William Smith Gotwald was educated in
the city schools of York, and his entrance
into business was as a clerk in a whole-
sale shoe house. Stibsequently he became
a salesman for this house and trax'eled
for four years. He then became con-
nected in a like capacity with a large whole-
sale house in the same line, of Philadelphia,
traveling for that firm for seven years, and still
later, for five years, in the interests (if a firm at



Worcester, Mass., dealing in men's specialties
and foot-wear.

In 1901 Mr. Gotwald became the district
agent for York county of the Sun Life Assur-
ance Company, an old line Canadian company
which has been established since 1865. He is
advantageously located for business at No. 33
East Market street, where he handles a large
amount of insurance business.

Mr. Gotwald was married Dec. 11, 1899,
to Mabel F. Kapp, a daughter of the late Lewis
Kapp, who was a merchant of Goshen, Ind.
They have one son, Paul K., now at school.
The family belongs to the M. E. Church, in
which Mr. Gotwald takes a deep interest. He
is a teacher in the Sunday-school and is super-
intendent of the Junior League. In politics
Mr. Gotwald is a Republican. His fraternal
relations are with the Knights of Malta and
the Knights of the Mystic Chain.

P. M. CARMAN, a prominent dog fancier
and breeder, is a well known citizen of
Wrightsville, York count)', where he has lived
nearly thirty years.

The Carman family is of German extrac-
tion, Grandfather Andrew Carman being the
first to settle in this countrj'. He was a farmer
near Stewartstown, York county. In politics
he supported the Democratic part}'. His chil-s
dren were as follows ; Nathan ; Rebecca, wife
of Adam Ziegler, deceased; Julia, wife of
John Kniver, deceased; Betse}', wife of Jerry
Zeigler, of Stewartstown ; Hannah, wife of
Eli Waltemeyer, deceased; George Wesley, of
Yoe, York county ; and Henry A., of Mt.
Pleasant, Westmoreland county.

Lieut. N%than Carman, father of P. M.
Cannan, was born in Hopewell township,
York county, in 1822. His calling was that
of a brick maker. From the spring of 1861
to the spring of 1864 he served in the Union
army as second lieutenant of Company G, 12th
P. y. I. He was twice wounded, being
struck in the left thigh by a piece of shell at the
battle of the Wilderness, and in the left arm
by a minie ball at White Oak. He was honor-
ably discharged at Harrisburg. Lieut. Nathan
married Henrietta Mead, and they lived at
Stewartstown, where he died in 1892. His
widow is still living, at the age of seventy-
seven. She married (second) John Honnigan
and (third) Henry Kunkle. The children of
Lieut. Nathan and Henrietta (Mead) Carman



BIOGRAPHICAL



915



were as follows : Arthur S., of Harford, Mtl. ;
Sarah Jane, who died young; William, of
Stewarts^ovvn, who married Becky Cooper ;
George W., of Steiwartstown, who married
Ella Fetters; P. M., who is mentioned below;
and Nathan McClellan, deceased. Lieut.
Carman was a lifelong Republican, a member
and past commander of the G. A. R. Post in
his home town. He and his wife were mem-
bers of the Methodist Church.

P. M. Carman is a native of Stewartstown,
where he was born Feb. 9, 1854. He learned
the trade of cigar maker with Giles J. Green
of Stewartstown, and when he was eighteen
went to Alliance, Stark Co., Ohio, and began
to work at his trade. In 1876 he returned
home, and after four months went to \Vrights-
ville, where he was employed at cigar making
by S. R. Kocher for nearly twenty years.

Mr. Carman married, Jan. i, 1878, Annie
Newcomer, who was born in Wrightsville, Oct.
23, 1859. Her father was Henry Newcomer,
who was born in Hellam township in 1826,
and followed the trade of shoemaker. He came
to Wrightsville as a young man, and there
married Sarah Collinwood, who was of En-
glish parentage, Mr. Newcomer carried on
his trade in Wrights\-ille successfully until his
death. He was a Republican, and he and his
wife were members of the Methodist Church.
Their children were: Oliver, John and Milton,
deceased ; Isabella, Mrs._ Jacob Ballou, of
Perry Co., Pa. ; Annie, Mrs. P. M. Carman ;
and one that died in infancy.

Mr. and Mrs. Carman settled down to
housekeeping at once, and began saving to
make a pleasant home. In addition to his work
at cigar making Mr. Carman, in 1887, estab-
lished his now famous kennels. Until 1902 he
carried on both occupations, but since then he
has devoted himself exclusively to his kennels.
These are known as the Royal Forest Beagle
Kennels, and their specialty is blooded Beagle
hounds.

The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Car-
man are as follows : Milton, born Nov. 6,
1878, an art student in Philadelphia: Minnie,
born Feb. 8, 1880, at home: Lura V., born
Dec. 13, 1882, wife of John Corpman, of
Wrightsville, and mother of George Raymond ;
Carrie Belle, born Dec. 9, 1884, at home;
Arthur, born March 2, 1896: and Grace Mar-
guerite, born Nov. 13, 1898. The family are
members of the Methodist Church. In politics
Mr. Carman is a Republican; he was once



elected tax collector, but never cjualified for of-
fice. He is a charter member of the Jr. O. U.
A. M. ; of the K. of G. E., in which he is past



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 174 of 201)