Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 175 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 175 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


chief ; and a member of Chihuahua Lodge, No.
317, I. O. O. R, Wrightsville, of which he is
past grand master.

IRA FREYSINGER, who is cultivating
his farm of thirty-eight acres in Monaghan
township, was born there, son of Henry and
Rebecca ( Kohler) Freysinger, and a grandson
of Jacob Freysing-er.

Henry Freysinger was born in 1830 in
Monaghan township, and was educated in the
common schools. He learned the carpenter's
trade, which he followed for several )ears, but
he spent most of his life as a laborer. He died
at Siddonsburg. May 12, 1904, his wife pass-
ing away May 12, 1893. They were the par-
ents of children as follows: William; Jacob;
Daniel ; Ira ; Sarah, who married John Crum-
lich ; and Rose, who married Charles Eichel-
berger and has one daughter, Mary. The iant- ,
ily belonged to no especial church, but attend-
ed the various churches in the vicinitv. In
politics Mv. Freysinger was a Democrat.

Ira Freysinger remained at home until the
age of twenty-three years, when he started out
in life for himself, working by the day as a
farm hand until 1892, when. he purchased his
present home, which consists of thirty-eight
acres and upon which he does general farming.
In 1 89 1 he married Clara Fortney, the esti-
mable daughter of Zachariah T. and Sarah
(Wilson) Fortney. Mrs. Freysinger is a de-
vout member of the Lutheran Church. Mr.
Freysinger is a stanch Democrat in politics.
He is a representative farmer of Monaghan
township, and is also one of its most honest
and upright citizens.

DANIEL B. BAER, a retired farmer now
living in Washington township, near Hall
postoffice, was born in that township, in 1848,
a son of Isaac Baer, who was a son of David
Baer. The latter was a farmer in Manchester
township, York county, and was a worthy,
Christian man, a member of the Mejmonite
Church. His remains lie in the cemetery at-
tached to Baer"s meeting house, in Manchester
township. The children of David Baer were :
John, Gabriel, Joseph and Isaac.

Isaac Baer, father of Daniel B., was born
in ^Manchester township, York county, and he
remained at home assisting his father until the



9i6



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



age of twenty years, when he came to W'ash-
ington township and here bought a farm of
145 acres, from his father-in-law, Daniel Bru-
baker. He continued to farm very successfully
for a number of years, retiring some years
prior to his death, which occurred when he
was seventy-five years of age. He married
Annie Brubaker, who lived to the age of eigh-
ty-four years. Both parents of our subject
were members of the Mennonite .Church, and
they were interred in the cemetery at the old
Hershey meeting house in Dover township.
They had five children: Maria, wife of John
Harbolt; Annie, deceased; David, who died
aged six years; Isaac, who died aged nineteen
years; and Daniel Brubaker.

Daniel B. Baer was named for his grand-
father. He was educated in the township
schools, and attended a summer school at
Knowlton through two sessions, after which he
taught school for six months at that place. He
then settled down to farming in his native
township, purchasing his father's farm, on
which he made many improvements, and on
which he lived until 1900. Then he removed
to a small farm of fifty-six acres, on which he
constructed a very comfortable dwelling, and
where he is spending the evening of life sur-
rounded with many comforts.

Mr. Baer married Sarah Jane Hershey,
daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth Hershey.
Mrs. Baer died March 19, 1905, and was
buried at the Hershey meeting house in Dover
township. Their children were : Mary E. is
the wife of Jonas Smith; Isaac married Cora
Bailey; Joseph married Bessie Hill; Annie
married Walton Baugher; Lillie; Ella married
George Zeigler; and Jacob married Laura
Zimmerman. Mr. Baer has ten grandchildren,
and is the center of much loving and dutiful
attention. He has been a member of the Men-
nonite Church since he was twenty years old.
He bears the weight of his years well, and en-
joys good literature and the visits of his many
friends.

LEWIS BARBEHENN. One of the most
successful country stores to be found within
the limits of York county, is that now owned
by Lewis Barbehenn, successor to S. B. Brod-
beck. He does a thriving business both whole-
sale and retail, and his store is more modern
in its appointments and his stock of goods more
complete than one might expect outside of the
large cities, of the State.



Lewis Barbehenn came of German parent-
age. His grandfather, Henry, lived and died
in Germany. A son, Henry (2), came to
America in 1855, landing at Baltimore, and
proceeded to Gettysburg, where for forty years
he was superintendent of the city gas works.
He is still living, but for the past few years he
has been retired from all active work. He
married Mary, daughter of Jacob Bortner, of
York county (her mother was a Strickhouser),
and the children born to their union were
named George, Nathaniel, Henry, Lewis, Ed-
ward, Katie, Mary and Annie.

Lewis Barbehenn was born in Gettysburg,
Pa., in 1862, and was educated in the common
schools of that city. He began his business
life as a clerk in a confectionery store in his
native town, and worked there for four years,
but in 1 88 1 he entered the employ of Mr. S. B.
Brodbeck, of Brodbecks P. O., and was asso-
ciated with him twelve years. At the end of
that time he bought out his employer and has
since been conducting the store for himself.
It had a good start under Mr. Brodbeck and
Mr. Barbehenn has carried it on to a more
pronounced success.

Mr. Barbehenn married Miss Mary E.
Hoff, daughter of Adam Hofif, of Seven Val-
ley, York county. Five children have been
born to them, Wilford, Beulah, Goldie, Mary
and Katie. Mr. Barbehenn is a member of the
Lutheran Church, and is very active in the
work of the Sunday-school. His political
faith is embodied in the platform of the Repub-
lican party. He has proved himself a good
business man, and has won a high place in the
esteem of the community.

PHILIP WEBER, a highly esteemed, re-
tired citizen of York, and an honored veteran
of the great Civil war, was born in Germany,
Dec. 24, 1843, son of Oswalt and Christina
(Offman) Weber, both natives of Hesse-Cas-
sel, Germany.

Oswalt Weber, the father, was a cooper
and brewer, which occupations he followed un-
til his death in 1874, being aged fifty-eight
years. His wife died in 1883, and both are
buried in their native land.

Philip Weber received his education in
Germany, attending • school until fourtelen
years of age, when he learsed coopering and
brewing — lines he followed until May 28,
1 86 1, when he came to America, landing at
Baltimore, Md. He later moved to Frostburg,



BIOGRAPHICAL



917



Aid., where he remained until Sept. i, 1862,
when he enlisted in Company A, 3rd Md. V. I.,
and participated in the following battles : An-
tietam, Md., Sept. i^, 1862; Winchester, Va.,
June 13-15, 1863; Mine Run, Nov. 26-28,
1863; Monocacy, Md., July 9, 1864; Fort
Steadman, March 25, 1865; Bunker Hill,
Frederick City, Fort Hudson, Fort Hell and
Leesport. On July 29, 1864, he received a sun
■stroke at Harper's Ferry, was sent to Frederick
Hospital and later to Chestnut Hill, Philadel-
phia, Pa. On May 25, 1865, Mr. Weber was
honorably discharged at Baltimore, Md., after
having served two years and eleven months,
and having participated in some of the most
important battles of that great struggle.

Three days after his discharge fr©m the
army Mr. Weber was united in marriage with
Catherine Fike, daughter of John and Bar-
bara Fike, of Lower Windsor township, and
after marriage went to Frostburg, Md., where
he was employed in a coal mine until 1867.
He then went to Lower Windsor township,
where he was engaged in cigar making, and re-
mained one year, at the end of this time remov-
ing to Cumberland, Md., where he also en-
gaged in cigar making. Here he continued
until 1873, when he removed to York, and
manufactured cigars until 1902, since which
time he has lived retired.

Mr. Weber is a member of General Sedg-
-wick Post, No. 37, G. A. R., and. of Working-
men's Beneficial Association No. i, of York.
His religious connection is with the German
Reformed Church. In politics he is a Repub-
lican. TBe children born to Mr. and Mrs.
Weber are as follows : John died in infancy ;
Dora Annie, who lives in York, married Lewis
Berkheimer; Henry, who lives in York, mar-
ried Hattie Rensel; Christina, deceased, is in-
terred at Prospect Hill cemetery; John died in
Frostburg, Md., where he is buried ; Augustus
lives in York; Frederick married Margaret
Shenberger, and lives in York; Catherine, de-
ceased, is buried at Prospect Hill cemetery;
Lillie, deceased, is also buried there; Malvina,
is buried at the same place; Mary is the wife of
Raymond Manley, and resides in York; and
Clara resides in York.

ALEXANDER DIETZ was born Jan. 14,
1854, on the farm in Hellam township, York
county, now occupied by his cousin (Michael
Dietz).

Mr. Dietz passed his boyhood days under



the invigorating discipline of the farm and
duly availed himself of the advantages offered
in the excellent public schools of the township,
Samuel Paules being named as one of his most
able and honored instructors. He continued
to attend school until he had. attained the age
of twenty years and secured a teacher's certi-
ficate, but never devoted himself to practical
teaching. In his boyhood days his parents re-
moved to a farm in close proximity to the vil-
lage of Yorkana, and there he developed into
manhood. At an early age he learned the
trade of cigar making, becoming a skilled arti-
san in that line, and in 1875 he engaged in
manufacturing on his father's farm, eventu-
ally founding a business which demanded the
employment of a force of several skilled work-
men. He there continued operations for a
period of sixteen years, at the expiration of
which, in 1892, he was appointed deputy col-
lector of internal revenue for the Ninth district
of Pennsylvania, under the administration of
President Cleveland, retaining the position
four years and three months, and having his
official headquarters at Yorkana. Upon his
retirement from office Mr. Dietz effected the
organization of the Yorkana Cigar Company,
in which he owns one-half of the stock, and
thereupon purchased the finely equipped plant
of H. L. Dellone, in Yorkana, where he has
since continued in active supervision of the
enterprise, which has grown to be one of ex-
tensive scope and marked commercial import-
ance. A force of forty operatives is now em-
ployed in the factory, while the trade of the
concern extends into the most diverse sections
of the Union. A fine line of cigars is manu-
factured, among the leading brands turned out
by the company being the "George B. Mc-
Clellan," "No Discount," "Twin Sisters" and
"La Flor De Humbert." j\lr. Dietz is recog-
nized as a progressive, alert and reliable busi-
ness man, and through his discrimination and
able management has established the thriv-
ing local indvistry at whose head he now
stands. He is essentially public-spirited in his
attitude and has taken an active interest in
political afifairs ever since gaining his elective
franchise, having been a zealous worker in the
ranks of the Democratic party and prominent
in its local councils and work. He is a mem-
ber of the German Reformed Church, and his
wife is an attendant of the same religious body.
In Spring Garden township, York county.
Oct. 20, 1879, Mr. Dietz was united in mar-



<)i8



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



riage to Annie Hiestand, who was born and
reared in that county, daughter of William and
Rebecca (Dull) Hiestand, and of this union
have been born three children, namely : Harry
James, who married Anna Budding and who
is employed in the office of the York Gazette;
Maggie, who is the wife of Dr. John E. Inners,
of Yorkana; and Gertrude, who is the wife of
John Anstine, also of that place.

Henry Dietz, father of Alexander, was
born on the same homestead farm, in Hellam
township, York county, Aug. 24, 1833. His
initial scholastic training was secured in the
Garber school, under the instruction of Peter
Ruby, of Long Level, and upon the founding
of the free-school system he continued his
studies in what was known as the Ruby school,
his teachers there having been the late David
Strickles and Christopher Stoner ; later he at-
tended five sessions of the Pine Swamp school,
in Hellam township, where he secured instruc-
tion in both English and German, under a Mr.
Musselman, from New Holland. All those
mentioned were considered able instructors in
their day and all were strict disciplinarians, so
that their pupils usually made good progress.
Henry Dietz, father of Henry, died when the
latter was a lad of nine years, and thereafter
the boy was reared principally in the homes of
those not his kindred. He attended school but
httle after reaching the age of fourteen years.
The first money which he earned was that se-
cured for working on the farm of John Her-
shey, in Hellam township, his compensation
being $5 per month and board. He had pre-
viously received his board and clothes only.
At the age of sixteen he entered upon an ap-
prenticeship at the blacksmith's trade under
the direction of Henry Neff, of Hellam town-
ship, and he continued to follow that vocation
for four and one-half years, meantime marry-
ing soon after reaching his legal majority. In
1855, at the age of twenty-two, he purchased
twenty acres of land in Lower Windsor town-
ship, located on the Delroy road, one-half mile
distant from Yorkana, and there he continued
to be engaged in farming and gardening until
1892, when he rented his farm to his son-in-
law, John Lefever, and took up his residence
in the village of Yorkana, where he has since
lived retired. Later he sold his farm to his
son David S., and in 1894 erected his attrac-
tive modern residence in Yorkana. In politics
Mr. Dietz has ever accorded an unwavering
allegiance to the Democratic party, and he has



been prominent and influential in local affairs,
though never ambitious for office. He and his
family are members of the Reformed Church
at Canadochley, in which he has been an
elder for a score of years past, a member of
its board of trustees for many years, and presi-
dent thereof at the present time. About three
decades ago he served one term as township
supervisor. For twenty years he was a mem-
ber of the directorate of- the Western Mutual
Fire Insurance Company, of York county, and
its president for eight years of that period.

In Hellam township was solemnized the
marriage of Mr. Dietz to Elizabeth Leiphart,
who was born in Lower Windsor township,
daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (Sloat) Leip-
hart, the former a weaver by trade and also
a farmer on a modest scale. The following is
a brief record concerning the children of Henry
and Elizabeth Dietz : Alexander has been
fully mentioned; Annie, born Sept. 13, 1857,
is the wife of William Leonard, of York;
Amanda, born Aug. 28, 1861, is the wife of
John Lefever, of Lower Windsor township;
Susanna, born Dec. 3, 1862, is the wife of
Mark Landis, of Hellam township ; Amos W.,
born Feb. i, 1866, married Emma Poff, and
they reside in Yorkana; Henry H., born Sept.
5, 1868, married Gertrude Leiphart, and they
also make their home in Yorkana; Elizabeth,
born Aug. i, 1871, remains at the parental
home; David S., born Aug. 19, 1873, married
Lydia Sentz, and they reside in Lower Wind-
sor township.

Henry Dietz, Sr., grandfather of Alexan-
der, was born on the present farm of Eli Dietz,
in Hellam township, July 3, 1809. He passed
his entire life there, following the noble voca-
tion of farming, and he died Oct. 17, 1842. He
married Susanna Lehman, who. likewise was
born in Hellam township, Jan. 27, 1812, and
who died Dec. 22, 1892. She was a daughter
of John and Elizabeth (Fisher) Lehman,
worthy pioneers of Hellam township. After
his marriage Henry Dietz settled on the farm
of his uncle, Daniel Dietz, in Hellam township,
and there engaged in farming on the crop-
.sjiaring system, so continuing until his death
at the comparatively early age of thirty-three
years. His children were six in number, name-
ly : Henry, Jr., father of Alexander; David,
who was born Dec. 24, 1834, married Rebecca
Paules (now deceased), and is a representa-
tive farmer of Lower Windsor township; Jo-
,seph, torn Oct. 2^1, 1836, likewise a successful



BIOGRAPHICAL



919



farmer of that township (his first wife was
Lydia Ferree and his second, who is still living,
was Kate Poff) ; Leah, born Aug. 2j, 1838, the
widow of Michael Crumling, residing in Lower
Windsor township; Susanna, born July 31,
1840, residing in Center Square, York county,
the widow of Frederick Stauffer; and Alexan-
der, born Jan. 27, 1842, who died on the 8th
of the following November. Further interest-
ing data in regard to this old and honored fam-
ily, which has many representatives in the
county, may be found on other pages of this
work.

LEMUEL S. HAKE, proprietor of "Lo-
cust Dale" farm, has been a resident of North
Hopewell township all of his life, having been
born on his present farm Sept. 20. 1865.

Simon Hake, his father, was born in North
Hopewell township, in a large brick house on
the farm, near Lebanon church, then owned by
the grandfather of our subject. He there grew
up a farmer boy, and received a good educa-
tion, and after marriage purchased his home
farm of 150 acres, part of which he bought
from a Mr. Phillips and part from a Mr. Sta-
bley. Simon Hake died on this farm in 1891
and was buried at Lebanon church. He was
an active member of the Lutheran Church,
having been deacon for several years. In poli-
tics he was first a Whig, later joining the Re-
publican party. He married ]\Iiss Elizabeth
Diehl, who is still living, at the age of seventy-
two years, and children were born to this
union as follows : Cornelius, of Winterstown ;
Annie, Mrs. Joseph Shaull, of Cross Roads,
York county; Jacob D., a real estate man of
Reading, Pa. ; Ellen, Mrs. Harry Venus, of
Baltimore, Md. ; Susan, Mrs. Harry Myers, of
York ; Lillie, Mrs. Dave Morrison, of Rinely,
North Hopewell township ; and Lemuel S.

Lemuel S. Hake attended the public schools
of the township until eighteen years of age,
going first to Samuel Miller, an old and well
known teacher in this section, and later to
Lillie Kurtz, who was his last teacher. Mr.
Hake remained with his father until the latter's
death, when he purchased the home from his
mother. The farm consists of 100 acres, con-
veniently and beautifully situated one and one-
half miles west of Felton. Mr. Hake joined
the Lebanon Lutheran Church and took an
active part in the work of that organization
until failing health made him give it up. For



many years he was a teacher in the Sabljath-
school. Although a stanch Republican Mr.
Hake would never run for office, preferring
rather to give his entire time and attention to
his farm and hoine.

Mr. Hake married Mollie E. Baughman,
sister of William F. Baughman, and to this
union were born the following children :
Horace Eugene, Etiiel V., Ruth E. and Vir-
ginia.

ROBERT SCOTT, who is engaged in
farming his tract of seventy-four acres in
Lower Chanceford township, was born in the
house he now occupies Sept. 25, 1863, son of
Robert S. Scott. His grandfather, John Scott,
was born in Ireland, and emigrating to Amer-
ica followed farming on the tract now owned
by our subject. He died before our subject's
birth. He and his wile had the following chil-
dren : Elizabeth, Gavin, John, Robert S.,
Mary and Alexander.

Robert S. Scott was born on the farm, in
the old house which has since been torn away,
in 1824. He received a common school edu-
cation, and when he became of age inherited
part of his father's farm, upon which he re-
mained all of his life. He died in 1885. Orig-
inall}' he was a Presbyterian in religious faith,
but later joined the Evangelical church. In poli-
tics he was a Republican, and, served his town-
ship for several years as a member of the school
board. He married Elizabeth Norris, who was
born in Lower Chanceford township, in 1831,,
daughter of John and Sally (McGuirk) Nor-
ris, and she still survives. Their children were
as fohows : Sarah, Mrs. James E. Anderson,
of Lower Chanceford township; Mary E.,
Mrs. Ambrose H. Barnet, of Lower Chance-
ford , township ; Caroline, Mrs. Samuel C.
Morton, of Chanceford township ; Catherine,
Mrs. S. S. Morton, of York; Robert: and
John L., of Lower Chanceford township, who
married Margaret Taylor.

Robert Scott received his education in the
public schools, which he left when eighteen to
go to farming. On the death of his father
he bought the home place, which he has since
operated, owning seventy-four acres. His
farming operations ha\e been niore than suc-
cessful, and he is rated one of the substantial,
representative men of the township. He is a
member of the Pine Grove Presbyterian
Church and takes a great interest in all church



9-20



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Avork, holding the position of trustee. A
stanch Repubhcan, he has served his township
ior one term as assessor.

Mr. Scott was married Jan. 24, 1888, to
"Georgianna Swagert, of Peach Bottom town-
ship, daughter of John A. and Sarah C.
(Wise) Swagert, the former of whom is de-
ceased, while the latter still survives. Chil-
rdren as follows have been bora to this union :
Lula, who attends school in York; Raymond,
at school ; Mary E. ; Harry ; Linnie, and Lya-
'cinth.

GEORGE DALLAS MOUL, a general
-merchant of Thomasville, Jackson township,
is descended from old Pennsylvania families
.3nd was born Oct. 24, 1854, to Peter and
Tolly (Lichty) Moul.

George Moul, his grandfather, was a na-
tlive of Pennsylvania, owned a good farm in
Jackson township, and was a prominent man in
his day. A Democrat, he was active in poli-
tics, but could never be induced to accept any
but township offices ; he served as supervisor.
Mr. Moul accumulated considerable property,
and at his death, in 1894, his children were left
iin good circumstances. He married Polly
Stambaugh, and they had eight children, John,
George, Peter, Susan, Betsey, Harriet, Cath-
<erine, and one deceased, whose name is not
known. The family were members of the
Lutheran Church.

Peter Moul was born and reared in York
•county, and was educated in the public schools.
He worked on his father's farm until he was
:able to buy one of his own, and he also kept
;a hotel prior to the Civil war, his house being
located on the Berlin road, between York and
Berlin. He was hard-working, known for his
honesty and integrity, and succeeded in all his
;undertakings, becoming cjuite wealthy. He
married Polly Lichty, and had two children,
-namely : Alice, who married Emanuel Stam-
.baugh : and George Dallas.

George Dallas Moul received what educa-
tion the schools of Jackson township afforded
and helped his father on the farm up to the
age of fifteen, when he went to learn the trade
of a painter, following same off and on for
twenty-six years. In 1895 he went into busi-
ness as a merchant, carrying full lines of dry
goods, boots, shoes and shelf hardware, and
lias met with unusual success, his being one of
the best country stores in the county, and re-



flecting great credit upon Mr. Moul's business
acumen. Mr. Moul is a Democrat and active
in the support of that party, but he has never
been an office seeker. In religion he is a
Lutheran.

Mr. Moul has been twice married, his first
union being to Miss Jennie Myers, by whom
he had one daughter, Lucy. Mrs. Jennie Moul ■
died, and Mr. Moul married Miss Sallie
Myers, but no children have been boni to this
union.

DAVID R. BEAR, who, with his brother,
Henry Bear, operates the farm of twenty-two
acres formerly owned by George Kunkel, lo-
cated on the Harrisburg pike, near Manches-
ter, York county, was born in 1850, in Man-
chester township, son of John and grandson of
Jacob Bear.

Jacob Bear was born in Lancaster county,
but spent his life in York count}', where he
took up a tract of 160 acres of land in Man-
chester township, and followed farming until
his death, at the age of ninety-seven years.
His first marriage was to a Miss Shelley, by
whom he had four children, Nancy, Sarah,
Daniel and Moses. Mr. Bear married second
a Miss Good, and they had children, John,
Elizabeth, Susan, Fannie, Reuben and Mary.

John Bear, the father of our subject, was



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 175 of 201)