Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 177 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 177 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


learned his trade with Lant & Sheaffer, of
North Codorus townshij), with whom he re-
mained three years. After spending one year
at farming he returned to his trade at Thomas-
ville, and the next several years were spent at
Kuhl, Emigsville, Cold Spring, Bollinger, Ore
Bank, Porter's Landing, and East Angley,
and in 1883 he came to his present location.
where he has since remained. He purchased
from his father-in-law twenty acres of land,
upon which he erected new buildings, includ-
ing a blacksmith shop. His home is located
along the road from Spring Grove to Jeffer-
son borough, and he enjoys a fine trade.

Mr. Trout married Caroline Stambaugh,
daughter of Peter and Catherine (Runk)
Stambaugh, and tO this union have been born :
Rosa, Franklin, and Claude, unmarried ; and
Fannie, Charles and Nellie, "all deceased. Mr.
Trout is a member of the Reformed Church.
He is an active member of that denomination,
and assisted in erecting the church in Codorus
township. He is a Democrat in politics.

JOHN S. HERSHEY, a farmer of Penn
township, is a descendant on both sides from
old Pennsylvania families and himself worthily
supports a name long identified with the his-
tory of York county. He was born Dec. 20,
1847, o" what is known as the "John Mumma
farm," to John M. and Nancy (Sprenkle)
Hershey. The paternal grandfather was Ja-
cob Hershey, a native of York county, and a
prosperous farmer there, who married Miss
Mumma and reared a large family. The ma-



ternal grandfather was Jacob Sprenkle,
formerly of Lancaster county; his wife be-
longed to the Shirk family.

John M. Hershey was born in York county
near York, in 181 1, and his wife. Miss Nancy
Sprenkle, was born two years later. Her
death occurred in 1870, while her husband
survived until Sept. -i, 1888, after an honor-
able and successful career as a farmer and
general business man. Seven children were
born to them as follows : John S. ; Elizabeth,
Mrs. Christian Miller; Maria, Mrs. Jacob
Rudisill; Anna, Mrs. George Forry, of York
county ; Barbara, Mrs. Samuel Hoke ; Sarah,
Mrs. Benjamin Forry, residing in Hanover;
and George, who died at the age of twenty-
seven.

John S. Hershey spent the first twenty-
one years of his life on his father's farm, at-
tending the district school, and later assisting
his father. He then married and settled on a
farm of his own in Penn township, where he
engaged in stock raising" and general farm-
ing. His property includes 100 acres of good
land under good cultivation, and with every-
thing indicating" a state of prosperity; there
are a number of farm buildings and a good
residence, and all are kept in splendid condi-
tion, while the same can be said regard-
ing his farm machinery, which is all of the
latest improved designs.

Mr. Hershey was united in marriage to
Miss Lucinda Krug, daughter of John and
Susanna (Willet) Krug, and to their union
children as follows were born : Freeling, a
farmer residing near York ; Sarah, Mrs. L. M.
Bechtel ; Minnie, Mrs. Henry Utz ; Arlington
D., a clerk in the dry goods establishment of
Elmer E. Wentz ; Calvin A., employed in the
Hanover Shoe Factory ; Cletus Garfield ; and
Nancy Ann, at home. Mr. Hershey is not
only a successful man, but is one of pleasing
personality, whose genial manners have made
him many warm friends, by whom he is highly
esteemed.

JACOB KESSLER BAKER was born
on his father's homestead farm, in Paradise
township. May 31, 1865, and is descended of
German ancestors who spelled the name
Becker.

Jacob Baker, his grandfather, spent nearly
all of his life in North Codorus township,
where both he and his wife died in the faith



BIOGRAPHICAL



927



of the Reformed Church. Their children
were : Abraham, a merchant who hved and
died in Hanover; Jacob; Henry, who married
Christiana Altland, and, resides in Maryland;
John, of Spring Forge, York county, a shoe-
maker by trade, who married Amanda Stam-
baugh; Catherine, Mrs. Daniel Stauffers, of
Porters ; and Amanda, of York, who married
first a Mr. Fuhrman, and second, Mr. Conly,
both now deceased.

Jacob Baker, father of our subject, was
born in North Codorus township, and grew
to manhood there, acquiring a common-school
education. He learned tailoring in Jefferson
borough, and followed that as a journeyman
there and throughout North Codorus and ,Par-
adise townships. In February, 1863, he re-
moved to Newtown and established himself as
a tailor in connection with a mercantile busi-
ness, continuing- until 1895, when he retired.
He now lives below the homestead. He mar-
ried Miss Eliza Kessler. born in North Co-
dorus township, daughter of George Kessler.
The following children were born to them:
Mary Ann, Mrs. L. H. Miller, of Jackson
township; Lydia Ann, widow of John G.
Wantz, of York; Maquilla, at home; Savilla
and Mantilla, died young- ; Jacob Kessler, our
subject; Amanda, deceased wife of Eli Mum-
mert ; Lillie ; and George, of Paradise town-
ship.

Jacob Kessler Baker began to attend
school at the age of six years, under Dr. Hol-
linger, now of Abbottstown. He ■ continued
in the township schools until seventeen years
of age, some of his other teachers being : Isaac
Miller, now a banker at East Berlin ; E. A.
Rice, a banker of York; and Absalom Baker.
He also attended the East Berlin Normal
School for three terms imder J. C. Hilder-
brand, and two terms at Millersville Normal.
He then purchased instruments, books, etc.,
and engaged for a time in the study of sur-
veying, following this occupation for several
years. He began teaching at the age of se\'-
enteen years, at the Anstine school, Windsor
township, remaining for one term, and since
then has spent his time in his native township,
Avhere he has taught for twenty-four years.
For ten years he conducted a select school in
Paradise township, called the Paradise Nor-
mal School. In 1886 Mr. Baker married Miss
Emma Jane Becker, of North Codorus town-
ship, daughter of Emanuel and Eliza (Myers)



Becker. They began married life on a small
home in Paradise township, one mile west
of Newtown, and here he resided for eight
years. They then purchased the farm immedi-
ately above this, now owned and occupied by
George Hamme, and there spent nine years,
after which the present farm was purchased,
known as the "old tavern farm," consisting of
112 acres.

Mr. Baker is a stanch Democrat, and has
served as township clerk, on the election board,
as judge cf election, and two terms as justice
of the peace, refusing to serve his third term
in the latter office, although elected. He is a
devoted member of Holtz-Schwamm Reformed
Church, was formerly a deacon, and is now
superintendent of the Sunday-school. Mr.
Baker's children are as follows : D. Webster,
educated in the public schools, and the York
and Millersville Normal schools, has taught
for one year; Minerva Eliza; Ira J., died
small ; and Stella J.

Mr. Baker started in life a poor boy, and
whate\-er success has attended his efforts is
due to his frugality, thrift, energy and deter-
mination. Fle is very highly esteemed, in Par-
adise township, where his many sterling traits
of character are appreciated.

CLAYTON B. KING, of Washington
township, was born in that township, Nov. 24,
1862, son of Christian and Elizabeth King,
and is of Scotch-Irish descent.

Jacob King, his grandfather, was a shoe-
maker by trade, and followed his business
first in East Berlin, Adams county, and then
came to Yoi-k county, here engaging in farm-
ing. He owned a fine property in the neigh-
borhood of Hall, where he died at the age of
eighty-four years, and he was buried at the
Bethlehem Meeting House in Washington
township. He had two sons, Samuel and
Christian, the former of whom died in Adan'is
county.

Christian King, father of Clayton B., was
born in Washington township, York county,
receiving a common school education. He
bought his father's farm of 117 acres and de-
voted his whole life to farming-, remaining
there until his death at the age of seventv-
seven years. He married Elizabeth Ketter-
man, daughter of George Ketterman, of North
Codorus township. She died at the age of
seventy-three years, and is buried at Stravers



928



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Church in Dover township. He was buried
at the Bethlehem Meeting House in Washing-
ton township. Christian King was a stanch
Democrat, and he served his township as tax
collector during the Civil war, and also was
elected assessor. His children were: Jane,
wife of Lewis Kidd; Mary A., wife of George
H. Foust, a teacher in York; Lizzie Ellen,
wife of John E. Knaub, of York; and Clay-
ton B.

Clayton B. King was educated in the pub-
lic schools of his native township, and at the
age of sixteen years became a teacher, teach-
ing sixteen consecutive terms in York county
—the Weaver school in Washington town-
ship, a summer school at Rothville, two sum-
mers at Wellsville, the Fairs school in Codorus
township for four years, was one year at Bort-
ner's, one year at Strick's, four years at the
Harmony Grove school, Dover township, and
after coming back to Washington township
he taught the Asper school for one year, and
then was for four years at Danners, going
from there to Reading township in Adams
county where he taught the Baker school. In
1896 he gave up teaching. He served as as-
sessor of his township for three, years. In
recent years he has been engaged in farming,
and has made a success, owning fifty-five acres
of the old homestead which he has divided
into three tracts. He has made many excel-
lent improvements and erected commodious
and comfortable buildings. He is a strong
Democrat, and his party has recognized his
ability and fidelity.

Mr. King married Alice Detter, daughter
of John Detter, of York county. He is one
of the leading members of the St. Paul Lu-
theran Church, and is now serving on its of-
ficial board as secretary.

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN HORN, re-
siding on a farm in Springetsbury township,
was born Nov. 15, 1853, son of George and
Mary Ann (Wagner) Horn.

The paternal grandfather, John Horn,
came from Germany \vhen he was a boy and
settled in Windsor township, York county,
where he became one of the well-known farm-
ers. He owned a good sized farm there and
operated it till a short time before his death,
when he moved to the upper part of the town-
ship, near Longstown. There he died well-
advanced in years. He was a member of the



United Brethren Church. He married Miss.
Elizabeth Deckman, and they became the par-
ents of the followmg children: Michael;.
George; John; Henry; Daniel and Peter,
twins; Philip; Elizabeth; Mattie, Mrs. Eman-
uel Stiles; and Catherine, Mrs. John Blymyer.
These children all settled down in York coun-
ty, adopting various occupations as farmers,
blacksmiths, wagonmakers or shoemakers.

George Horn was reared on the farm in^
Windsor township, and though he had few
opportunities for attending school, was a
great reader and became very well educated..
He was an expert in figures. Especially con-
versant with the Bible, he could quote passage,
after passage verbatim. He was an active:
member of the United Brethren Church, and
was for many years class leader. Mr. Horn:,
started in life as a blacksmith, but after a fevv-
years he gave up that calling, and about 1857
bought a farm of iigyi acres in the south-
western part of Springetsbury township. The-
line between that and York township passed
directly through the place and the oven was
so situated that the bread was baked in York
and eaten in Springetsbury. Mr. Horn's active-
life was spent there in farming, but a few
years before his death, which occurred in,
February, 1894, he retired, and passed his last
days free from care. In politics he was a
Republican. Mr. Horn was married three""
times. By his first wife, a daughter of Jacob
Gable, he had two children, who died young.
By his second wife. Miss Mary Ann Wagner,
he had four : Emeline, Mrs. .John Stump, of
Windsor township; Andrew W., wdio lives,
with his brother, Benjamin F. ; Benjamin F. ;
and, Caleb, a blacksmith by trade, but now
employed as night-watchman in the Dallas-
town bank. Mrs. Horn died in 1857, and Mr.
Horn married (third) Miss Susan Arnold,
daughter of George Arnold, of Spring Gar-
den township, who survives. Three children
were born to this union : David, a farmer in
Springetsbury; Catherine, Mrs. Samuel
Adair, of York township; and one that died
in infancy.

Benjamin Franklin Horn was reared on
the farm and given a common-school educa-
tion. In his nineteenth year he took up the
trade of a carpenter, but after five months
trial returned home and worked for his father
until 1876. In that year, having previously
married, he rented one of his father's farms .



BIOGRAPHICAL



929



and started out for himself. After nine years
in this place, he bought a tract of forty-five
acres, also belonging to his father, and ever
since has been engaged there in farming. He
has one of the attractive homesteads of that
section, and in 1898 built his residence, de-
signed by himself, a modest home but pleasant
and thoroughly modern in its appointments.
Besides his farming interests he is a stock-
holder in the Farmers' Fertilizer Company.
In politics he is a Republican.

In 1874 Mr. Horn was united in marriage
to Sarah J., daughter of Henry Knaub, of
Springfield township. They have two chil-
dren : Amelia, who married George Emen-
heiser, a machinist in East York, and has had
four children : Stewart, Albert, Elizabeth
Jane and one that died in infancy ; and Mel-
vin B. F., who lives at home, attending school.
The family are highly esteemed and respected
throughout the community.

JACOB H. HANTZ (deceased), for
many years engaged in painting in York, Pa.,
was born in that city Feb. 21, 1832, son of
Henry and Anna Mary (Strine) Hantz, the
former well known in the early days in both
York city and county as the proprietor of the
old hotel that stood where "City Hotel" now
stands, at York, and the owner of what is
now the "Wilson Hotel" at Wrightsville — his
death occurring in the latter town.

Jacob H. Hantz followed the occupation
of house painting until about five years be-
fore his death, which occurred in January,
1887. He was also known as a landscape
painter.

Mr. Hantz married Elizabeth H. Russell,
only daughter of Joseph and Leah (Kauffelt)
Russell. Four children of this union survive :
James H.; Annie C. ; and Lena H., both dec-
orators of china ; and Mrs. J. R. Hueter, of
York.

Joseph Russell, father of Mrs. Hantz, was
born in Manheim, Lancaster Co., Pa. He
was employed on the old Grubb furnace in
York county and on different public works,
especially on various railroads in this county.
He died in 1882, aged seventy-four, and was
buried in Prospect Hill cemetery in York.

GILBERT C. LANDIS. In no province
of human activity has greater progress been
made within the past quarter of a centur)'
59



than in the application of science to the man-
factures and arts. It is the very foundation
of modern development along the practical
lines of the day, and those who recognize the
fact are strictly in the march of events. Those
who superintend the details of great industries
in order that continuous expansion will ensue
must be scientists as well as mechanics. Ap-
plying these general remarks to the operations
of the American Phosphorus Company, whose
extensive works are at Cly, York Co., Pa., it
may be inferred that their substantial future
is assured from the fact that besides being
officered by moneyed and practical business
men, the manufacturing processes are superin-
tended by a trained and broad-minded sci-
entist, who is the chemist of the establish-
ment. Gilbert C. Landis. He resides at No.
729 West King street, York, Pennsylvania.
The building of the plant of the American
Phosphorus Company was commenced in
April, 1905, and the manufactory was in
operation by the first of September, of that
year. It consists of two fire-proof brick build-
ings, with cement roofs and floors, each
200 X 35 feet in dimensions, and all the rooms
separated by 13-inch brick walls. The different
quarters comprise office, laboratory, repair
shops, ore-mixing and calcine room, trans-
forming room, four furnace rooms, boiler
room for steam heating, and refining and
storage rooms. The entire plant, which covers
two acres of gi"ound, is operated by electricity,
which is furnished by the York Haven Water
Power Co. The buildings are so designed that
the plant can lae increased to four times its
present capacity, without interfering with the
manufacturing operations.

The raw material is mined from the com-
pany's land in Cumberland county. Pa., and
transported to Falls, York county, which is
the main shipping point of the establishment,
the facilities being furnished by the Northern
Central railroad. Phosphorus is used in the
manufacture of matches and bronze, and in
medicinal chemistry. It is transformed into
a commercial product by subjecting the phos-
phorus ores, mixed with suitable fluxes and
chemicals, to the heat of the electric arc. Su-
perintendent Landis has designed a furnace
especially adapted to that work, patents for
which are now pending.

The present plant of the American Phos-
phorus Company employs about twenty men.



93f-^



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



and is in operation every day and hour of the
year except Christmas. The company is cap-
itahzed at $500,000 and was incorporated in
New Jersey. Its officers are : T. Henry Asbu: y,
president; Charles W. Asbury, vice-president;
Chnton Gage, secretary; and Harry E. As-
bury, treasurer. The Messrs. Asbury are also
owners of the Enterprise Manufacturing
Company of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

EUGENE R. ALBAUGH, M. D., a
prominent physician of Codorus township, was
born there Aug. 17, 1854, a son of Dr. Will-
iam Albaugh.

Abraham Albaugh, grandfather of Eu-
gene R., was a farmer in Carroll county, Md.,
remaining in that State till his death, which oc-
curred at the age of seventy. His wife, Chris-
tina (Bahn) Albaugh, died when fifty years
old, leaving eight children, Amos, Peter, Abra-
ham, William, Henrj^, David, Diana and
Angeline.

Dr. William Alba'^gh was born in Car-
roll county in 1829, was sent to the common
schools, and graduated at New Windsor
(Md.) College. After deciding on his pro-
fession he went to the Washington University,
at Baltimore, and when his course was com-
pleted began practicing in his native county,
but soon removed to Codorus township, York
Co., Pa., where he spent the rest of his life
in his chosen work. He was very intellectual,
was finely trained, and was an exceedingly
popular physician. He' died when only fifty-
four years old, and was buried at the "Stone
Church." Dr. Albaugh married Miss Harriet
Cramer, of Codorus township, and the follow-
ing children were born to them: Mary, wife
of Jacob Bair, of Glenville; Josephine, who
died when thirty-nine years of age; Eugene
R. ; George E., Henry M. and Howard, the
three last named deceased; Capitola B., wife
of John Hoffman ; Maurice C, married to G.
McAbee, and living in Railroad Bow, York
county; and Gertrude May, wife of Henry
Shearer, of Maryland. Mrs. Harriet (Cramer)
Albaugh was the only daughter of Henry and
Eva (Lehman) Cramer, lx)th now deceased,
and buried at the "Stone Church." The
father, a carpenter by trade, died when sev-
enty-two years old and his wife at the age of
thirty-four. They had four sons, Solomon,
Eli and Israel, all deceased, and Henry, living
in Baltimore. Mrs. Albaugh now makes her
home with her son, the Doctor.



Eugene R. Albaugh was sent to the town-
ship schools and later to the Glen Rock Acad-
emy. He decided, to adopt his father's pro-
fession, and after reading medicine under his
direction for a time entered the Baltimore
College of Physicians and Surgeons, in 1873,
and in 1875 was graduated. He finally re-
turned to Codorus township, and as his father
had by that time passed away he took his
place and has ever since been practicing in
that locality, a physician both skillful and
popular. He is enthusiastic in his profession,
and is a well-known member of the York
County Medical Society.

Dr. Albaugh was married in 1893 to Miss
Catherine R. Henry, of East Berlin, Adams
county, daughter of Rev. S. S. Henry. They
have two children, Ruth and Russell, both at-
tending school. In the spring' of 1905 Dr.
Albaugh began building a handsome residence,
which he calls Farm Cottage, located on his
farm two miles south of Glenville, on the road
from York to Baltimore. Dr. Albaugh is a
member of the Lutheran Church. He is much
interested in local affairs, is a Democrat in his
political views and has served the community
as school director. He belongs to the Bonnair
Band, and is the only charter member still in
the organization. Fraternally he is a member
of the P. O. S. of A., and a charter member
of Excelsior Grange, of Glen Rock.

JOSEPH KAUFFMAN (deceased) was
a most highly esteemed resident of Spring
Garden township, York county, where he was
born, and where he died at the age of sixty-
six years. His whole life was spent in agri-
cultural pursuits.

Mr. Kauffman was a son of Joseph and
Catherine (Huber) Kauffman, the former
of whom was probably born in Lancaster coun-
ty. Pa., where many families of the name re-
side. After his marriage he settled on a farm
of seventy-seven acres, just east of Stony-
brook, where he died in middle life, survived
by his wife, who reached the age of sixty-two
years. They had four children, as follows :
Mary, who married Deitrich Steiner, of this
county; Catherine, who married Daniel Wit-
mer ; Lydia, who married George Bohn ; and
Joseph. An aunt of these children married into
the Kendig family.

Joseph Kauffman, whose name introduces
this sketch, married Susanna Sprenkle, who
was born in West Manchester township. Mr.



BIOGRAPHICAL



931



Kauffman owned a farm of ^00 acres east of
Stonybrook, and there he reared his most ex-
cellent family, numbering eleven children,
namely : Henry, who is deceased ; Joseph, a
resident of Windsor township; Emanuel, now
deceased; Isaac, of Springetsbury township;
Abraham, deceased; Israel, of Springetsbury
township; John, of York; Mary, residing on
the old farm ; Sarah, wife of Michael Smyser,
of York ; Susan, wife of Eli Kendig, of Phila-
delphia ; and Martin, of Philadalphia. The be-
loved mother of this family lived to the age
of eighty-three years. Both Joseph Kauffman
and his wife were consistent members of the
Mennonite Church. They were well known,
and were respected by everyone.

Israel and Mary Kauffman, brother and
sister, reside on a well cultivated part of the
old homestead, consisting" of twenty-seven
acres, and they have one of the most comfort-
able homes in the township. Miss Kauffman
is a member of the Mennonite Church, and a
lady beloved for her many excellent traits of
character.

The maternal grandparents of Miss Kauff-
man were Daniel and Annie (Mumma) Spren-
kle, who lived in West Manchester township.
Their children were : Daniel, a farmer of Man-
chester township ; Henry, who died young ;
John, a farmer of West Manchester township,
who died at the age of seventy years; Mary,
who married Daniel Graybill, of West Man-
chester township; Susanna, who became the
wife of Joseph Kauffman; and Nancy, wife of
Jacob Balinger, of West Manchester township.
Daniel Sprenkle died aged seventy-seven years,
and his wife aged fifty-five years. They were
worthy members of the Mennonite Church,
good, pious people.

GEORGE E. MYERS, who is extensively
engaged in farming in York county, is the
owner of a fine tract of 142 acres of wood and
farming land, in Monaghan township. He
was born on his present home, Oct. 22, 1856,
son of Samuel and Leah (Kimmel) Myers.

Mr. Myers was educated in the common
schools of Monaghan township, and has re-
mained on the old home farm all his life, with
the exception of one year when he rented a
piece of property in Mt. Pleasant. All of his
life has been devoted, to agricultural pursuits,
he coming into possession of the home farm
by purchase in 1887, and he has ninety acres



of the 142 under cultivation. His present
handsome residence was built in 1900, and it
is considered one of the finest farm homes in
the township. Mr. Myers has built fine out-
buildings, the water supply is excellent, and
his farm is well situated, being about one and
one-quarter miles south of Mt. Pleasant, six



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 177 of 201)