Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 178 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 178 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


miles from Dillsburg and thirteen miles from
Harrisburg. The schools in the locality are
excellent, and the churches conveniently near.
In 1883 Mr. Myers married Miss Clara
Brandt, and these children have been born to
them : ]\Iamie B., C. Guy, Fannie B., Boyd S.,
Greta E. and Clara Ada. Mr. and Mrs.
]\Iyers and their daughter Mamie B. at-
tend the Church of God,, being devout mem-
bers of the Bethel Church at Mt. Pleasant.
In politics Mr. Myers is a Republican, but he
has never taken an active part in party affairs.
He is held in high esteem by his neighbors and
all with whom he is brought in contact.

EDWARD LEBER, junior member of the
architectural firm of Hamme & Leber, bears a
name that has been an honored one in the coun-
ty for generations, the maternal side of his
family also having been connected with the his-
tory of the county for over a century. The
history of Mr. Leber's maternal ancestor, Col.
John Hay of Revolutionary fame, and another
of the same name, who won distinction in the
war of 1812, is fully set forth elsewhere.

Edward Leber was born in the Borough,
now City, of York, in the year 1871, and passed
his boyhood days in pursuit of an education,
attending the public schools and the York
County Academy. He early developed a talent
for drawing, and at an early age entered the
office of Architect J. A. Dempwolf, in pursuit
of his chosen profession. He continued his
study at The Massachusetts Institute of Tech-
nology in Boston, and in the year 1901 became
associated with his present partner.

Mr. Leber is active in York society, being
a Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery Ma-
son, as well as a member in several of the
city's leading social and business organizations.
He is a member of the Greek letter college
fraternity of Phi Gamma Delta. In religious
circles he is likewise active, holding member-
ship in Zion Lutheran Church, of which con-
gregation he is a member of the governing
body. He is also conspicuous in the work of
the Young Men's Christian Association, hav-



932



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



ing" been a member of the board of directors for
upwards of ten years.

DAVID PRALL, proprietor of Deer Park
Farm, is a highly esteemed, prosperous farmer
of East Hopewell township, York county.
He was born on his lather's farm, near
Draco, Hopewell township, Aug. i6, 1841, son
of Asher G. and Mary (Trout) Prall.

Asher G. Prall was born in the eastern part
of New Jersey. On reaching manhood he
came to York county, and, in East Hopewell
township, married Miss Mary Trout. At one
time Mr. Prall and his brother, Squire Prall,
owned the fann now owned by David Prall,
and this they sold, Mr. Prall purchasing a
farm of 100 acres near Draco, on which he
died in 1889, aged eighty-one years, his wife
having passed away the previous year, aged
eighty-eight years. They were members of
the M. E. Church. In politics Mr. Prall was
a Democrat. The children of Asher G. Prall
and his wife who grew to maturity were as fol-
lows : Cornelius, who is on the home iarm ;
Mary Jane, also at the old, home; and David,
our subject. Several children died in infancy.

David Prall grew to manhood on his
father's farm and attended the Zion public
school during the winter terms. He was
reared to the life of a farmer, and has fol-
lowed that occupation all of his life. In 1872
he married Miss Maggie Enfield, who' was
born in Fawn township, daughter of Andrew
and Mary Ann (Blanie) Enfield, and to this
union have been torn the following children :
Mary, Mrs. William B. Hershner, of East
Hopewell township; Sadie, Mrs. David Wal-
lace, of East Hopewell township; Carrie, Mrs.
Joseph M. Trout, also of this township ; El-
mer, Bertha and David, at home, and William
S., the eldest, who died in York City in the
spring of 1904. After marriage Mr. and
Mrs. Prall settled on the farm which they
now occupy, Mr. Prall having purchased it
from Squire Prall. The farm consists of
eighty-five acres of good farm land, and Mr.
Prall carries on general farming.

Mr. Prall is connected with the M. E.
Church, attending at Zion. He is a stanch
Democrat, and served, his township as tax col-
lector for one term.

JOHN T. SMITH, of Windsor township,
is engaged as a farmer and mason. He is of



German descent on his father's side, and sev-
eral generations of the family have lived in
York county, Henr}^ Smith, his grandfather,
having been a farmer who lived and died in
Windsor township.

Simon Smith, son of Henry, was also a
farmer, but followed the carpenter's trade dur-
ing his latter years. During the Civil war
he served three years in the Union army. He
married Miss Anna Tome, and first located in
Windsorville. Afterward, they lived for a time
in Adamsville, where Mrs. Smith died. Mr.
Smith thereupon returned to Windsor town-
ship and made his home with the Anstines,
where he died in 1864. He and his wife had
a family of ten children, viz. : Samuel, who
died in York; Reuben, of Stonybrook; Henry,
deceased ; Simon and Moses, twins, the former
deceased ; Emeline, Mrs. William Dietz, of
Dallastown ; Elizabeth, Mrs. Edward Kraft,
who died in Windsor township; Frank, of
Mountville ; Daniel, of Cumberland, county ;
and John T.

John T. Smith was born Dec. 25, 1854, and
his mother's death occurred at that time, so
that the child was brought up by strangers,
mainly in the family of Simon Anstine. He
attended the Koons school, the last of his teach-
ers being Miss Bigler, sister of Dr. Bigler. He
was afforded opportunities for a good educa-
tion, but would not improve them and left
school permanently at the age of tv\'elve. From
the time he was ten he was the seventh hand
with a cradle in the rye field. He received no
wages for the work done through his youth,
and on reaching the age of eighteen he left
Mr. Anstine and started out for himself. He
continued jfarming, and for four years re|-
ceived wages of $150 a year. In 1879 he
married and settled on his present farm, which
he bought at that time. He put up buildings
and began cigarmaking in addition to carrying
on his farm. For the past fifteen years he has
been largely occupied with masonry work, a
trade which he had previously learned from
Amos Heindel.

Mr. Smith chose for his wife Miss Annie
Koons, daughter of Emanuel and Elizabeth
(Snyder) Koons, and to their union five chil-
dren have been born : Mary, who died at the
age of two ; Bert C. ; Nettie, Mrs. George Fil-
more, of Lower Windsor township; Virgie
and Flossie, at home. Mr. Smith is connected
with the Salem United Evangelical Church, of



BIOGRAPHICAL



933



which he is one of the trustees. In poHtics
a Democrat, he has been twice elected super-
visor, an indication of the position he holds
in the esteem of his fellow citizens. He is
also a member of the P. O. S. of A., Windsor
Lodge.

Bert C. Smith, son of John T. Smith, was
born Feb. g, 1880. He was sent to Small's
school, attending until he was eighteen, learned
the process of cigarmaking from his father,
and worked with him until he was twenty-one,
after which he began his present occupation,
that of mason, a trade he learned from Wesley
Raub. He was married in 1902 to Miss Nettie
Snell, and they have one child, Alverta. Mr.
Smith is a member of Salem Church, and in
politics is a Democrat.

CHRISTOPHER GARY NOLLER was
born in Shrewsbury township, York county,
June 17, i860. He was educated in the town-
ship schools, and in the Stewartstown Acad-
emy, where he ended his studies at the age of
nineteen. The following year he began teach-
ing, and was so engaged for twenty terms, first
in Hopewell township, then in Stewarts-
town, Winterstown, Felton, and the town-
ships of East and North Hopewell and Wind-
sor, in each case achieving great success as a
teacher. During vacations he worked at farm-
ing, and finally, in the spring of 1895, began
on his present farm in Windsor township,
purchased from Jacob Runkle. Mr. Noller
has been successful in his operations and has
a well-developed farm. He is at present serv-
ing as a director in the Farmers' Canning Com-
pany of Red Lion. In polices he has always
been a Democrat and was one of Cleveland's
most devoted supporters in 1892. He served
as assessor in the borough of Stewartstown, in
minor offices in Winterstown, and in the spring
of 1904 was chosen a school director of Wind-
sor township. He is a member of the Church
of God, and the past five years has been an
elder in same. Mr. Noller is intensely inter-
ested in the advancement of education, is active
in local affairs, and being a man of much
strength of character is highly esteemed and
has a wide influence in his community.

Mr. Noller has been twice married. His
first wife was Miss Elmira Elizabeth Bush, to
whom he was united in 1885, by Rev. Dr.
Niles. She was born in Hopewell township in
1865, daughter of the late Rudolph Homer



and Elizabeth (Morrison) Bush, the latter of
whom is still living, a resident of Baltimore
county, Md. Mrs. Elmira E. Noller died in
1 891, and was buried in Mt. Pleasant ceme-
tery, North Hopewell. Two children were
born to this union, namely : Belva Olivia, now
married to Burtis Clinton Baker; and Annie
Elmira, who died in infancy. In May, 1894,
Mr. Noller was united in marriage to Miss
Ella M. Runkle, by Rev. Peter Livingston.
Ella M. Runkle was born in 1866, in North
Hopewell township, daughter of the late John
and Mary (Myers) Runkle. Her father, John
Runkle, a prosperous farmer of North Hope-
well township, died in 1905, and was buried in
Lebanon cemetery. Her mother, Mary (My-
ers) Runkle, was the daughter of Charlejs
Myers, deceased. She died in 1899, and her
remains were laid to rest in Lebanon cemetery,
near Felton.

Mr. Noller is of German descent, and his
father, John George Noller, was born near
Heilbronn, Wurtemberg, Germany, in 1819,
and lived there until 1854, when he came to
America and settled in Shrewsbury township.
He was a stanch Democrat, and a Lutheran
in religious faith. He died in 1896, and was
buried in Mt. Pleasant cemetery, North Hope-
well. John George Noller married Olivia
Wasserman, who was born in Murrhardt,
Wurtemberg, Germany, in 1825, daughter of
Gotleib Wasserman, a tinner by trade. She
died in 1899, at the home of her daughter,
Mary Waltemyer, in East Hopewell township,
and her remains were laid to rest in Mt. Pleas-
ant cemetery. John George and Olivia (Was-
serman) Noller had five children : Mary, widow
of the late Benjamin Waltemyer; Susan, Mrs.
Thomas Hannigan, deceased; Christopher
Gary; Levi, of Hopewell, who married Miss
Ella Barclay, of Lancaster county, and Tillie,
widow of George Hannigan, of Felton.

The grandfather, George Noller, was a
wealthy farmer and had extensive vineyards,
but from 1845 to 1850 he lost much through
the failure of other parties, and his son, John
George, started again on his own resources in
the New World. In Germany he had been
given a good education and there had learned
the tanner's trade. The passage from his home
at Heilbronn to America was by way of Heidel-
berg and Mannheim, in Baden; Rotterdam,
Holland ; Havre, France, thence to New York.
The voyage from Havre to New York was



934



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



made in a sailing vessel and it took sixty days
to complete it. On the vessel there was also a
Miss Olivia Wasserman, his future wife, and
a brother, Christian Noller, who enlisted in
the regular army of the United States soon
after his arrival in America and later sacrificed
his life on the altar of his new country in the
Civil war. He was also accompanied by other
relatives, the Strobeck family. Mrs. Strobeck
is still living and resides near New Freedom,
Shrewsbury township. John Strobeck, then a
lad of seven years, is now a resident of Red
Lion.

JAMES EDGAR WAMBAUGH, owner
of the "Over-view Farm," which is situated
one-quarter of a mile southeast of the Fawn
township line, and consists of seventy-five acres
of excellent land, belongs to one of the old
county families.

Samuel Wambaugh, father of James Ed-
gar, was born in Fawn township on what is
now the Jacob Grove farm, in December,
1812. There he grew to manhood, working-
hard for his living and having but the meager
educational chances of his day. Fie remained
in that township until after his marriage and
then bought the farm which is owned by his
son James Edgar. As he had but small capital
to start with, he purchased this land at various
times just as he was able to pay, improving
each tract from its wild state to one of pro-
ductiveness. His death took place Aug. 18,
1881. He was a member of Zion M. E.
Church. In politics he was a strong Democrat,
and he was twice elected supervisor of his
township.

Samuel Wambaugh was married Feb. 14,
1839, to Deborah Badders, born March 28,
1809, in Fawn township, daughter of Levi Bad-
ders. Mrs. Wambaugh died in July, 1896.
The children of the above marriage were :
Levi, born Feb. 22, 1842, went to Iowa, mar-
ried there and is now a farmer in Black Hawk
county; John W., born Feb. 28, 1844, married
Elizabeth Workinger, settled in Fawn town-
ship and died there; and James Edgar.

James Edgar Wambaugh was born on this
farm, Dec. 24, 1847, and grew to manhood
here. He attended the Zion school until
twelve years old during the winter terms, and
one of his well remembered teachers was Fred
Hoke. He began to work hard when he was
but a child, and when his father died he took



the place, although he had cropped for his
father for three years previously. The name
of the farm gives a pleasant idea of its situa-
tion, and it is, indeed, a most desirable place,
and Mr. Wambaugh and pleasant family make
it a most hospitable home.

On March 13, 1873, ^^^- Wambaugh was
married, by Rev. J. Y. Cowhisk, the Presby-
terian pastor at Stewartstown, to Margaret
A. McConnell, born in June, 1850, in Peach
Bottom township, daughter of John and Alice
Jane (Winter) McConnell. The father of Mr.
McConnell was a wealthy man in Ireland, and
he did not approve of his son marrying the
girl he loved because she was poor, so they
eloped to New York and, although young, were
married and came to Peach Bottom township,
York county. He first was a contractor on a
canal, and then became a farmer on land close
to Lower Chanceford township. He was a
man of generous impulses, and two of his
neighbors had him sign their bail bonds which
proved worthless. This ruined him financially,
broke his spirit, and he died just nine days
before Mrs. Wambaugh, the youngest of his
children, was born; the other children were:
Hugh went to California with his sister Mary
and an aunt; Mary; Elizabeth married (first)
James Burk, and (second) Lorenzo Hutton;
Jane, Mrs. Bernard Doyle, died in Bainbridge,
N. Y. ; Alice died unmarried ; and John, who
volunteered in the Civil war, was lost sight of.
The children of Mr. and Mrs. Wambaugh
were: Mary S. C, born Feb. i, 1874, was a
dressmaker in Baltimore, and from there went
to the Norristown State Hospital, where she
was graduated a nurse, and subsequently mar-
ried the well known Philadelphia artist, John
E. Newberry, and they have one child, Helen
Minnie; Annie Virginia died March 21, 1881 ;
Margie M., born May 27, 1878, died June 18,.
1878; Ella E. P., born Oct. 2, 1880, married
George Ford, of Fawn township, but removed
to Norristown, after marriage, thence to Phila-
delphia, where they now reside, and they have
two children : Gladys Naomi and Bernice Mil-
dred, the latter of whom died Oct. 14, 1903;
Robert E. P., born Oct. 8, 1882, works for the
Prudential Life Insurance Co., with head-
quarters at Philadelphia; Ida M. E., born Oct.
6, 1884, is at home; Edith R. J., born July
17, 1886, is also at home.

In his political views Mr. Wambaugh has
always been a stanch Republican, but he is one



BIOGRAPHICAL



935



from principle and not on account of possible
political honors. He was reared in the M. E.
Church, and has always been a liberal supporter
of that religious body.

JOHN G. MARTIN, a farmer of Jackson
township, was born in 1850, son of Joseph
and Nancy (Graybill) Martin.

John Martin, the great-grandfather of
John G., emigrated from Germany to the
United States early in the eighteenth century
and located in Lancaster county. Pa. Later
he came to York county, settling first near York
and afterward removing to Codorus township,
where he died at an advanced age. He was a
gunsmith by trade, and followed this occupa-
tion in connection with farming, building a
factory for the manufacture of gun barrels,
which he supplied to the soldiers during the
Revolutionary war. Among his children were :
Samuel, David, Catherine and John. In re-
ligious belief he and his wife were Dunkards.

John Martin, the grandfather of John G.,
was born in Pennsylvania and educated in the
primitive schools of his day. He engaged in
farming, and accumulated considerable prop-
erty, being considered one of the prosperous
farmers of the time. He married Nancy
Grove, by whom he had the following chil-
dren : Catherine, Joseph, Lydia, Abraham,
Elizabeth, Fanny and Solomon. In religious
belief he was a Mennonite, as was also his
wife. He died aged sixty-two years.

Joseph Martin, the father of John G., was
born in Jackson township, where he was en-
gaged in farming all his life. His death oc-
curred in 1874, when he was sixty-two years of
age. To himself and wife nine children were
born, namely : William, Emanuel, Joseph, Na-
thaniel, John, Amanda, Melinda, Annie and
one that died in infancy. In political belief
Joseph Martin was a Republican, but would
never accept public office, being a consistent
member of the Mennonite Church.

John G. Martin remained at home until the
age of twenty-three, when he went to Kansas.
After remaining there about nine months he
returned home. He then learned the car-
penter's trade, which he followed until his mar-
riage, after which he engaged in farming on
rented property for four years, when he pur-
chased his present fine farm of ninety-four
and one-half acres in Jackson township. Since
that time he has devoted all his energ)' to agri-
cultural pursuits.



In 1882 Mr. Martin married Lucy Stam-
baugh, daughter of Abraham Stambaugh, and
one child, Harry S., has been born to this
union. The family are connected with the Re-
formed Church, while in politics Mr. Martin
like his father, is a Republican.

MICHAEL MEYERS, a cigar manufac-
turer and dealer in cigars and tobacco, located
at No. 45 East Philadelphia street, York, Pa.,
is a native of the city where he conducts his
business, born March 12, 1864, son of Jo-
seph and Margaret (Fuller) Myers.

Mr. Meyers's parents came from Bavaria,
settling in America prior to their marriage.
Joseph Meyers was a tanner, having learned
the trade in his native country, and followed
this business all of his life. He died in 1897,
at the age of seventy-nine years, and his wife
died in the spring of 1896, at the age of sev-
enty-two years. They had two children, Jo-
seph, who resides in York, and Michael.

Michael Meyers was reared in York, and
attended the public schools. When a lad of
eleven years he learned the trade of cigamiak-
ing, which he has followed continuously ever
since, in 1895 beginning business on his own
account at No. 459 West Philadelphia street,
and in 1899 removing to his present location.
He manufactures the highest grade of cigars
and supplies local trade, as well as wholesaling
outside of York.

Mr. Meyers is a member of the K. of G. E.,
in which he has passed the chairs ; the Junior
O. U. A. M., and the I. O. O. F. He has
represented the Eagles for six terms consecu-
tively. Mr. Meyers was married June 3, 1894,
to Miss Ella M. Allison, and they have their
home at the same location as his place of busi- вАҐ
ness. ' They attend the United Brethren
Church.

ZACHARIAS T. SPANGLER, merchant
at the Glades, Detrop, Springetsbury township.
York cotinty, where he is successfully conduct-
ing a general merchandise store, was born
Nov. 23, 1848, son of William and Elizabeth
(Heckert) Spangler.

The grandparents of Z. T. Spangler were
John and Christina Spangler, the latter of
whom is supposed to have come from Ger-
many. John Spangler was born in York coun-
ty, where he spent his entire life engaged in
agricultural pursuits. He lived to the age
oi eighty-eight years, and his wife also lived



936



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



to an advanced age. To them were born a
family of eight children, Samuel, VVilliam,
John, Charles, Elizabeth, Catherine, Leah and
Polly.

William Spangler, although he followed
farming, was a mason by trade. He was a
prominent figure in church work, being very
active in securing funds for the erection of the
Mt. Zion Church of Springetsbury, and was a
very liberal supporter of the church, for years
being one of its officers. He was of the Re-
formed faith, while his wife connected herself
with the Lutheran Church. His death occurred
in 1 891, when he was aged eighty-two, while
his wife died at the age of sixty-six. A family
of twelve children was born to this couple, of
whom ten are living, as follows : John, who is
retired and resides at Red Lion; William, a
laborer of Springetsbury township; Emanuel,
a trucker of the same township; Zacharias T.,
our subject; Philip H., a prosperous merchant
of East York; Alexander, a farmer of this
township; Jacob H., who is also a farmer; Al-
bert, a trackman for the Pennsylvania rail-
road, who resides in East York; Lucy, who
married Alexander Heidlebaugh, of this town-
ship ; and Amanda, who married Ulrich Shelle-
barger, of Spring Garden township, where they
now reside.

Zacharias T. Spangler was educated in the
common schools of his native place and re-
mained at home until he was in his twenty-
fourth year, when he entered the employ of the
Pennsylvania railroad as trackman at York,
and between York and Wrightsville, and re-
mained here for seven years. He was then
made foreman of a division stationed at Lit-
tlestown, and remained there a few months,
when, on account of bad health, he was forced
to resign from his position. He then located in
Springetsbury township, establishing his mer-
cantile business, and has been successfully en-
gaged in that line ever since. Mr. Spangler
was made postmaster of the postoffice which
he had induced the department to establish
here, and named it Detrop. Mr. Spangler also
follows farming in a small way.

Mr. Spangler has twice been called upon to
fill the office of tax collector, and was clerk for
three years. His wife and daughter are con-
sistent memlsers of the- Lutheran Church. In
1871, he married Miss Amanda Welty, daugh-
ter of Daniel and Elizabeth (Smeltzer) Welty.
Mrs. Spangler was born in Springetsbury



township, but was reared in Manchester town-
ship. Four children have been born to Mr.
and Mrs. Z. T. Spangler, two of whom are
deceased. Those living are : Annie Kate, who
married Albert Lehman, of Helm, and has one
child, Arthur E. ; and Allen Clay, who lives
at home. Without doubt Mr. Spangler is one
of the most popular citizens of Springetsbury
township, in which he has been, and still is, a
useful public-spirited man of affairs.

STEPHEN BOYER MANIFOLD is the
fortunate owner of the "Green Valley Farm,"
a fine place of 120 acres in East Hopewell
township which includes some six or eight acres
in timber. He was born there Oct. 20, 1846,
and has always made his home on the place.
This fine old homestead, which is well cal-
culated to excite the envy of those who, from
necessity, change dv^'elling-places every year,
was settled by Mr. Manifold's grandfather in
his young manhood.

Here John Manifold, father of Stephen B.,
was born in 1804. He grew up a farmer boy,
and among his responsibilities was that of
driving to York and Baltimore with farm
produce and bringing back machinery and
home supplies. Much of the country was as
yet sparsely settled. He married Merenda
Meads, who was born in Hopewell township
but spent many years in Stewartstown, a
daughter of Benedict Meads, whose wife was
a Miles. After his marriage John Manifold
acceded to the wish of his father to remain
and take the homestead, the greater number
of his brothers and sisters choosing to go
West, and here he died in 1872. His wife died
at the home of her son Miles, close to the old
home, where she lived after the death of her
husband. Both parents were strict Presby-
terians, the father being an elder in the church
for a number of years. In politics he was a



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 178 of 201)