Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 184 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 184 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


home with our subject, who is next to the
youngest of the children, the others being
Amanda, deceased, who married a Howard;
Mary, deceased wife of John Hindel ; Sarah,
who married a Mr. Kutz, deceased ; Henrietta,
deceased wife of Joseph Loucks; Eliza, who
died unmarried; Katie, who married (first)
a Strickler, and (second) an Ernst, and they
now resides in York county; and John, resid-
ing on the old homestead farm in Springfield
township.

Peter Henry Grove passed his early boy-
hood days in, his native township, his father
having died when he was but three years of
age, and when he was nine years old he came
to York township, where he continued to at-
tend the public schools as opportunity of-
fered, the financial status of his widowed



mother being such that he was early thrown
to a great extent upon his own resources, so
that it may be consistently said that he deserves
the honored American title of self-made man.
After having been variously employed in York
township, he returned to Spring-field township,
where he engaged in farming and also in the
cigar and leaf-tobacco business, prospering in
his efforts, which were indefatigable and well
directed. He became the owner of a valuable
farm of one hundred acres, and the head-
quarters of his cigar and tobacco business were
maintained at Loganville, where he was es-
tablished for thirteen years. At the expiration
of this period, in the spring of the year 1904,
he disposed of his farm and removed his other
business enterprise to Rye, York township,
where he has since continued to do an ex-
tensive business in the manufacture of cigars
and dealing in leaf tobacco, having a well
equipped factory, in which employment is given
to a corps of from thirty-five to fifty skilled
workmen. While in Loganville Mr. Grove also
manufactured cigar boxes, but this phase of his
enterprise he found it expedient to abandon
upon his removal to Rye, in order that he
might give his undivided attention to his large
and constantly expanding cigar business. In
the midst of the exactions of business Mr.
Grove has ever found time to keep in touch
with the questions and issues of the day, while
he has ever been found ready to do his part
in aiding all worthy enterprises and causes
tending to conserve local progress and pros-
perity, though never a seeker of office. His
political proclivities are indicated in the stanch
support which he accords to the principles and
policies of the Republican party.

Mr. Grove married Miss Ella Myers, who
was born in Hopewell township, daughter of
Emanuel and Sevilla (Livingston) Myers.
She was called to the life eternal June 8, 1902,
and interment was made in the cemetery of the
East Codorus Church, of the German Baptist
denomination, in Springfield township, she
having been a zealous and consistent member
of that churchu She is survived by two chil-
dren. Media S. and Allen M., both of whom
are attending the public schools in Rye.

HOWARD N. S:\IITH, contractor in
Windsor township, was born Oct. 13, 1875, at
Freysville, on the old homestead farm, son of
David Smith. He attended the public schools



964



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



of his township from six years of age until he
was eighteen, his first instructor being John
Dunlap, and his last teacher, Prof. J. A. Stine.
He worked on his father's farm, and then
learned the carpenter's trade with Horace
Welty, of Red Lion, with whom he remained
about ten years. In 1902 Mr. Smith engaged
in contracting and building on his own account,
in w-hich line he has since continued quite suc-
cessfully. Mr. Smith is a self-made man, and
owes his success to his energy and strict at-
tention to business. His methods are up-to-
date, honorable and upright, and his contracts
are promptly completed.

Mr. Smith is unmarried. He was reared
in the faith of the United Brethren Church,
but favors no particular religious denomina-
tion. In politics he is a Democrat, but has
never sought official recognition. His fraternal
associations connect him with the Knights of
Pythias and the I. O. O. F., in both of which
he is a popular and valued member. He is well
known and universally esteemed in the com-
munity.

JOHN MYERS, of Jackson township,
York county, was born Nov. 21, 1876, son of
Michael and Maria (Kehr) Myers, and a
grandson of George Myers. George Myers
was a prominent and successful man of Jack-
son township, and followed agricultural pur-
suits all of his life. He married Elizabeth
Hoke, and they were the parents of nine chil-
dren.

Michael Myers was born in Jackson town-
ship and received his education in the common
and subscription schools of his time. When a
young man he engaged in farming, and also
interested himself in the production of iron
ore, for which York county is noted. In this
line he was very successful, and acquired a
handsome competency before his death, which
occurred in January, 1899, when he was aged
about fifty-six years. He was a member of
the Reformed Church. He most ably served
the people as supervisor and school director,
being elected on the Democratic ticket. He
was a stockholder in the Farmers' Fire Insur-
ance Company. To Michael Myers and his
wife the following children were born : Mar-
tin; Ellen, who married Abraham Ream, and
has four children, Anna, Melvin, Nora and
John ; Elizabeth ; George ; Jonas ; John ;
Michael; and one that died in infancy.



John Myers remained at home until he was
twenty-four years of age, and received his
education in the common schools. In 1899 he
married Clara A. Brown, and in April, 1904,
purchased the fine thirty-acre farm, known as
the "Old Picking Farm," situated between
York pike and Berlin road, and upon which
he now resides. To Mr. and Mrs. Myers two
children have been born, Russell and Stella.
Mr. Myers is identified with the Reformed
Church, and Mrs. Myers is a Lutheran. In
politics he is a Democrat. He is held in high
regard in Jackson township.

I

GEORGE M. SNYDER, foreman of the
blacksmithing department of the Martin Car-
riage Works, York, Pa., was born Dec. 11,
1858, in Codorus township, York county, son
of John and Mary (Hoffnagle) Snyder.

John Snyder was born in Hessen-Darm-
stadt, Germany, where he learned the stone and
brick mason's trade. He came to America,
landing at Baltimore in 1856, where, however,,
lie did not remain long, starting for Codorus
township, York Co., Pa., where he had friends.
Mr. Snyder often told of his trip to Codorus
township and would relate how, night com-
ing on before he found his friends, he and his
wife and daughter slept under a cherry tree,
being but three-fourths of a mile from the peo-
ple he had gone to seek. After locating in
Codorus township Mr. Snyder followed stone
mason work. He died there in his early man-
hood, aged twenty-eight years. His wife,.
Mary Hoffnagle, who had come to America
with him, married (second) Julius Kraber,.
who also died in Codorus township, Mrs.
Kraber still surviving, and residing at Glen-
ville, Codorus township, at the ripe old age
of seventy-three years. Children as follows
were born to Mrs. Kraber's first marriage :
Elizabeth, the wife of John Smith, of Glen-
ville, Codorus township; and George M., the
subject of this work. To Mrs. Kraber and
her second husband were born : Albert, a
farmer ; Henry, a stone and brick mason by
trade; Catherine, the wife of George Rudisill,
living near Hanover, York county ; Emma, the
wife of Henry Shultheis, living in Baltimore,
Md., where he follows tailoring; Deliah, the
wife of Daniel Mummert, a farmer near West-
minster, Md. ; Jennetta, the wife of Clinton
Stifile, living at Glenville, Codorus township;
Cora, the wife of Edward Yost, living in Man-



BIOGRAPHICAL



965



heim township, York county; and two other
children, deceased.

George M. Snyder attended the schools in
Manheim township and Jefferson borough un-
til he reached the age of fifteen years. Hav-
ing been sent out at the age of eight years to
make his own way in the world, he worked
among the farmers until nineteen years of age,
and then went to learn the blacksmith's trade
with Samuel Hoffman, at Jefferson borough,
Avhere he served his time. He then went to
Powder Falls, Md., where he remained eight
months, at the end of which time he returned
to Jefferson borough and took charge of the
large shops of George W. Newman, with
whom he remained nine years. In 1890 he
came to York, and for three years had full
charge of the Martin Spring Wagon Works,
but the business grew to such an extent that
he now finds his time and attention required
extlusively by the blacksmith department, of
which he has charge, being foreman of forty
mechanics, and a valuable man to his em-
ployers.

In 1882 Mr. Snyder was married to Emma
Jane Auchey, daughter of John and Eva
(Rudisill) Auchey, and to this union have been
born the following named children : William
Edward, a graduate of the York high school,
class of 1899, is now located in Detroit, where
he is engaged in the making of carriage bodies ;
Annie May is at home ; John Urban is attend-
ing school ; Frederick Walter is attending the
York high school ; Georgie Eva is attending
school. The family reside at No. 721 West
Philadelphia street, York. In politics Mr.
Snyder is a Democrat, and while in Jefferson
borough served as councilman two terms and
as chief burgess one year. He is a member
of the Heidelberg Reformed Church.

John Auchey, the father of Mrs. Snyder,
was born July 5, 1802, and his death occurred
Feb. 12, 1868. He followed farming much of
his life, having purchased a farm in Codorus
township, York county, which consisted of 200
acres, but was living retired at the time of his
death. He was interred in the family burying-
ground on the farm near Jefferson borough,
York county. The farm, which is finely situ-
ated and well cultivated^ is now operated by
Samuel Auchey, son of John, who purchased
it from his father's estate.

WILLIAM H. LUCKENBAUGH, sta-
tion agent on the Western Maryland Railroad,



at Glenville, in Codorus township, York coun-
ty, comes from one of the oldest families of
this section of Pennsylvania.

Henry Luckenbaugh, the great-great-
grandfather, came of German parentage but
was born in Heidelberg township, York coun-
ty, where he died aged eighty-eight years and
was buried there. He was a rake maker and
also made shingles. His children were : Peter,
Henry, Elizabeth.

Peter Luckenbaugh, the great-grandfather,
was also born in Heidelberg township, but
later removed to North Codorus township.
By trade he was a weaver, and he lived to the
age of seventy-three years, ten months, four-
teen days. He married Anna Mary Moyer,
who died at the age of sixty-four years, and
three months. Both are buried in North
Codorus township. Their children were :
Susanna, deceased ; Lydia, deceased ; John and
Henry.

Henry Luckenbaugh, the grandfather, was
born July 12, 1833, in North Codorus town-
ship, and he learned the shoemakjing trade
which he followed for fifty-two years. He also
carried on farming for a period of twenty-six
years, but in 1889 he came to the city of York,
and although well advanced in years, continued
to work at his trade, being a most excellent
workman. He married Lydia Ernst, daugh-
ter of Samuel and Beckie (Hamm) Ernst.
She died Feb. 12, 1903, aged sixty-five years,
eleven months, twenty-two days, and is buried
at Green Mount cemetery, York. Their chil-
dren were : Sarah ; Peter ; Adam, who married
Catherine Senft; Samuel, who married a Miss
Rudisill; Rebecca, wife of Eli Senft; Amanda,
wife of David Clebber ; John, who died young ;
Minnie, wife of Albert Graybill ; and Julian,
deceased.

Peter Luckenbaugh, father of William H.,
was born in Manhea.m township, York county,
and he remained assisting his father, learning
the coopering and carpenter trades also. These
occupations he followed in North Codorus
township. In December. 1902, he removed
to York where he is employed as foreman in
the Black paper mill. He married Leah
Swartz, and they have had children as follows:
William H., Edward, Sadie, Howard, Irvine,
Minnie, Robert, Jennie and Fannie (twins),
and Charles.

William H. Luckenbaugh attended the pub-
lic schools until he was seventeen years old,
and then went to Hanover Junction to learn



966



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



telegraphing with H. J. Glatfelter. There he
remained four years and one month, and then
lived a short time in York, when on March 6,
1903, he was appointed to the Glenville sta-
tion, No. H 43. He is the operator for the
Western Maryland Railroad, has charge of the
freight and ticket selling, is Adams express
agent, and is also the Western Union operator
at that point. He is capable, careful and thor-
ough, and his pleasant, obliging manner has
gained him a wide circle of friends. It would
not be giving Mr. Luckenbaugh sufficient
credit did not the biographer mention an acci-
dent which cost him the greater part of his
g-ood left arm. In spite of this he has become
an expert in his profession. In 1892, his horse
becoming frightened, he fell from a self-bind-
ing machine, and was thrown upon the cutting
board. This terrible accident happened on the
farm of William Sprengler, near Nashville, in
Jackson township. Notwithstanding being
thus hampered, he has progressed steadily in
his work and has gone far ahead of many of
his early competitors. Both in business and in
social life Mr. Luckenbaugh enjoys the respect
and esteem of the community.

For a number of years Mr. Luckenbaugh
has been a valued member of the Lutheran
Church, belonging to the Stone Church con-
gregation, and he is now serving as secretary
of the Christian Endeavor Society. He is a
member of the P. O. S. of A., of Jefferson
borough; and of the Jr. O. U. A. M., of Glen
Rock.

JOHN JOSEPH MILLER, of North
Hopewell township, York county, is success-
fully engaged in a wheelwright business. He
was born in Marietta, Lancaster Co., Pa.,
March i, 1871.

John Christian Miller, the father of John
Joseph, was born in Germany and attended
school there until fourteen years of age. He
then learned the wheelwright business, and at
the age of eighteen years came to the United
States, settling finally at Marietta, Pa., where
he worked at his trade, first in tlie employ of
others and later starting out for himself. He
was married in Marietta to Miss Mary R. Mil-
ler (no relation), who was born and reared
at Turkey Hill, Lancaster county. Mr. Miller
went into business at various places, finally
settling in Winterstown, York county, where
he died in 1892, aged about fifty-four years.



His wife survived until Jan. 23, 1905, when
she passed away aged sixty-one years. They
were members of the U. B .Church. In politics
Mr. Miller was a Democrat. Children as fol-
lows were born to Mr. and Mrs. John C. Mil-
ler: Charles C, of near York; John Joseph;
and Alfred E., who married Miss Dora Har-
wood, and who owns and operates a black-
smith shop in connection with his brother
John's wheelwright business.

John Joseph Miller attended the schools
of his native township until thirteen years of
age, at that time removing with his father to
Spring Garden township, where he lived for
four years, meantime finishing his education
at the age of fifteen years. He then removed
to what is now North Hopewell township, and,
having learned the wheelwright business with
his father, with whom he had remained ten
years, he struck out for himself at his present
shop. Starting with little or no capital, Mr.
Miller has himself built his business up to its
present size, his strict attention to business,
his fair and honest dealing, and his good man-
agement, having reaped their just reward. He
is also the owner of a cozy little sixteen-acre
farm, which he operates. Mr. J\Iiller was
reared in the U. B. faith. In politics he is a
liberal Republican, and has served on the elec-
tion board.

Mr. Miller was married July 21, 1892, in
North Hopewell township, to Miss Rosie E.
Miller, daughter of Samuel and Ellen (Bren-
neman) Miller, both of whom are deceased.
Mrs. Miller died in 1898, the mother of the
following named children : Ralph C, Charles
Arthur, Ellen E. and Herman Stewart.

FRANKLIN W. NEUMAN, president of
the Rex Polish Company, of York, and one of
that city's successful business men, was born
in Dover borough, York county, March 9,
1 87 1, son of Reuben L. Neuman.

Reuben L. Neuman was born in Conewaga
township, Aug. 12, 1843. ^^ received his
education in Dover, Conewago and Warring-
ton townships. He was seven years old when
thrown upon his own resources in life, and
learned the shoemaking trade in the borough
of Dover, which he followed for seventeen
years. He married Eliza M. Kling, daughter
of George Kling, and after marriage kept a
hotel in Dover borough for a while, later going
to Hanover. He remained there but a short



BIOGRAPHICAL



967



time, returning to Do\-er, wlience he removed
in 1873 to York, where he purchased his pres-
ent home, and seven acres of very valuable
land. On locating in York, he engaged in the
ice bvisiness, in which he continued until 1904,
when he engaged in the polish business with
his son, holding the office of ti^easurer with
the company. The children born to Reuben
L. and Eliza (Kling) Neuman were as follows :
Ellen, the wife of Augustus Newport, of
York; Elmer, who died in infancy; William,
who married a Miss Laura Shirfey, of York;
Franklin W. ; Harry, who married a Miss
Starner, of York ; Lillie, at home ; George, who
was killed when twenty-three years, three
months and twenty-three days old, on Weist
pond, Codorus township, while banking ice;
Annie, at home; Daisy, the wife of Elmer
May, of York; and Sadie, at home. In poli-
tics Mr. Neuman is a Democrat.

Franklin W. Neuman attended the public
schools until fifteen years of age, and then
went to work assisting- his father. In 1897
he engaged in the ice business, continuing in
that until 1904, since which time he has de-
voted all his time at the factory of the Rex
Polish Company. Their goods are sold all
over Pennsylvania and in the surrounding
States.

On Jan. i, 1893, Mr. Neuman was united
in marriage with Rosa May Thomas, a daugh-
ter of Benjamin F. Thomas, and to this union
one son was born : Ralph Thomas, who died
at the age of nine years. In politics like his
father Mr. Neuman is a Democrat. He is a
member of the Reformed Church, and is ac-
tive in the work of the Sunday-school, in
which he holds the office of librarian. He re-
sides in his fine residence at No. 837 West
Locust street, York.

WILLIAM PETER FRAILLY, who for
years, was connected with the York county
government as deputy register of wills and
tax collector, became well and favorably
known throughout the county as a man of ex-
cellent business qualifications.

Mr. Frailey is a member of an old Pennsyl-
vania family, whose earlier members in the
State lived about Pottsville, but the later ones
were largely from Lancaster county. His
grandfather, Jacob Frailey, at one time owner
of six hundred acres of coal lands, removed
from Pottsville to Lancaster, where the de-
scendants have since lived.



William L. Frailey, the father of William
P., was born and reared in Lancaster county,
and resided there until his death. He followed
the business of manufacturing combs, and for
many years the factory with which he was
connected was the only one in the State. Pie
married Miss Leah Greenawalt, daughter of
Michael Greenawalt, a farmer of Manor town-
ship, Lancaster county, and to this marriage
eight children were born, the five living being :
William P., a resident of York; Edward F.,
superintendent of the city water works at Lan-
caster, Pa. ; Harry L., connected with Far-
man's Mills. Lancaster, Pa.; Emma, wife of
Frederick Fisher, formerly in the Pennsylva-
nia Railroad service, at Lancaster, now re-
tired ; and Peter Lincoln, superintendent of the
Hubley Novelty Works, of Lancaster,' Penn-
sylvania.

William P. Frailey was born in Lancaster.
Pa., Sept. 5, 1848. Not unlike many other
boys of his day, his education was received in
private schools. After leaving school he was
for some time clerk for Judge Sheaffer, after
wdiich he became an apprentice to a marble
cutter, none other than the late Major Charles
M. Howell, of Lancaster. After serving an
apprenticeship which lasted five years he
started into business for himself, and for an-
other five years conducted an establishment in
Lancaster. In 1880, selling out his business
interests in Lancaster, he removed to York,
where he became associated with his father-in-
law, Mr. Wehrly, in the hotel business.

Mr. Frailey entered the state of matrimony
Oct. 23, 1873, '^'^5 ^^''f^ being Miss Mary
Emma, daughter of George Wehrly, a former
hotel-keeper of York, who died in 1898. Four
children were born to this union, two of whom
died in infancy. Those living are : Lizzie I.,
wife of Elbert Whitman, of Syracuse, N. Y.,
connected with the York Manufacturing Com-
pany, and Paul W., a machinist.

Three years after becoming a resident of
York Mr. Frailey was appointed by Edward
Stock, register of wills, to the office of deputy
register of wills, in which he served a three
years' term under Mr. Stock and one year
under his successor, David A\^itman. His next
appointment was to the office of inside deputy
collector of internal revenue, in which he
sensed four years under Collector R. E.
Sheavor, and a little more than one year under
Collector Hershey. After leaving the Internal
Revenue office Mr. Frailey assisted Louis



968



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Helb, the son of Theodore Helb, to manage
the brewery while his father was absent on an
extended visit in Europe, remaining with them
for three years, after which he became con-
nected with C. F. Welsh & Company, whole-
sale liquor dealers.

Mr. Frailey's first wife died Nov. 20, -1887,
and on Jan. 14, 1891, he married Miss Jean-
ette Hildebrand, a daughter of Henry N.
Hildebrand, owner of a meat market in York.

In religion Mr. Frailey is a Lutheran, and
fraternally he affiliates with the Heptasophs,
being a member of Keystone Conclave, No.
12, and active secretary of his lodg'e for the
past fifteen years. In politics a Democrat, he
has always voted the ticket as set forth by
that part}^

The semi-public life which Mr. Frailey has
lived in York county, and the different promi-
nent business enterprises with which he has
had connection, has caused him for years to
be one of York's most widely known citizens.
His genial disposition and readiness to enter
into the social life of the community have won
him hosts of friends throughout the county.

JACOB C. SMYSER, the proprietor of
the well known Smyser Carriage Works, lo-
cated at No. 558 South Queen street, York,
Avas born in Warrington township, this county,
Nov. 19, 1873, son of Daniel Smyser.

Daniel Smyser was a native of Warrington
township, and was a shoemaker by trade. He
married Lydia Rohler, daughter of George
Rohler, and to this union the following chil-
■dren were born besides our subject : Lila,
Mrs. Samuel Kuntz, of York; Emma, who
iTiarried William Roth, of York; Charles R.,
of York ; Alberta ; and Daniel, of York. Dan-
iel Smyser died in York, where he had fol-
lowed his trade, March 17, 1892, while his
•widow still survives, in her fifty-eighth year.

Jacob C. Smyser came to York with his
father when he was twelve years old, and here
lie received his education in the public schools.
He learned the trade of carriagemaking with
G. W. Hoover, with whom he remained three
years, and then worked as a journeyman until
1901, when he embarked in business for him-
self at his present location, beginning with but
a small capital. Mr. Smyser has increased his
business facilities as the demand increased,
and he has been very successful in his line.

Mr. Smyser was married in 1903 to Stella



Lentz, of Red Lion, daughter of John and Su-
san Leader Lentz, both of whom still survive.
Mr. Smyser is a member of the Independent
Beneficial Society, of York. In politics he is
a stanch Republican, and takes a great interest
in the success of his party. He was reared in
the faith of the Lutheran Church.

WILLIAM H. SLOAT, one of the pro-
gressive young farmers of Fairview township,
was born July 8, 1870, in East Manchester
township, where his father and grandfather
before him had lived and died. The latter,
who was a farmer by occupation, had four
children : Henry, who was a carpenter by



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 184 of 201)