Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 185 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 185 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


trade; Eliza, who lives in Lancaster county;
a son, who enlisted in the army during the
Civil war and was killed; and Samuel, father
of William H.

Samuel Sloat, was born in East Manches-
ter township, and as he grew older was given
a common school education. He learned the
trade of a bridge builder, and for about thirty
years followed that occupation with the N. C.
Railroad, but during the last years of his life
he was engaged in farming in his native town-
ship. There his death occurred in 1902, and
his remains were laid to rest in the Union cem-
etery. Samuel Sloat married Emma, daugh-
ter of Andrew C. Hake. The widow is now
living at the old home in East Manchester
township. Children were born to them as
follows : Elmer E., who lives at Coal Brook,
Lebanon county, engaged in trucking and who
formerly was principal of the Millersburg
schools; H. H., a graduate of the Lebanon
Valley College at Annville, now a merchant
and postmaster at Rockport, Carbon county;
William H.; Annie, Mrs. Milton Steffy, of
Marietta, Lancaster county; Oscar H., who
lives with his mother; Ray J., now Mrs. Ed-
ward Brent, of Lewistown; and Martha, a
teacher living at home.

William H. Sloat received a good educa-
tion, as after finishing the public schools of
East Manchester and Fairview townships, he
was sent to the York County Academy and
then to the Lebanon Valley College, at Ann-
ville. After completing his own training, he
at first turned it to account as a teacher and
for two terms taught at the Brillingers school
in East Manchester township, but he soon de-
cided to make farming his life employment
and removed to a farm in Fairview township.



BIOGRAPHICAL



969



In 1898 he bought his present residence, the old
Michael Hart place, of seventy-five acres, and
since that time he has added many noticeable
improvements and has built a fine house. He
is engaged in trucking, poultry raising, and
butchering, besides general farming, and regu-
larly attends the Harrisburg markets.

In 1 89 1 Mr. Sloat was married to Salome
Beshore, a daughter of Jacob F. and Catherine
(Keller) Beshore, and the children who have
■come to this union are : Carrie, Harry, Liz-
zie and Martha, and two other children who
have died. Mr. Sloat, who is a Republican in
his politics, is a member of the school board,
and for six years has served as secretary. In re-
hgious belief he is a Lutheran, and prominent
in church work, having been secretary
of the council and elder for eight years, and is
now also superintendent of the Sunday-school.
Mr. Sloat is one of the men in whom the
■whole township has confidence, and represents
the best type of citizenship, being always ready
to advance to the utmost of his power any
movement for the public welfare.

BENJAMIN F. MOORE, of York, Pa.,
is now employed as night engineer with the
Reich Construction Co. Mr. Moore's birth
•occurred May 29, 1851, in Chanceford town-
ship, York Co., Pa., and he is a son of Archi-
hald H. and Annie (Campbell) Moore.

The grandfather of our subject was a resi-
dent of Chanceford township, where he fol-
lowed lime burning for many years. He was
a cooper by trade, and also followed that oc-
cupation. He and his wife both died in
Chanceford township, where they are buried.
They had these children : William, John, Sam-
uel, Archibald H., Elizabeth, Katie Cross,
Jane McAllister and Margaret Rukert.

Archibald H. Moore, father of Benjamin
F., received a common-school education, and
for many years followed lime burning. He
bought a small farm of sixty-two acres at Fel-
ton Station, in Chanceford township, and there
followed farming until his death at the age of
sixty-one years, eleven months and one day.
He married Annie Campbell, and she now re-
■sides on the old home with her youngest son,
heing eighty-five years old. She and her hus-
band had these children: Charles W., who
married Cassie Lutz, lives at Felton; Marga-
ret, the widow of John Glassick, who was
ikilled in York, at the Philadelphia street cross-



ing of the N. C. R. R., in 1903, lives with her
son in York; Benjamin F. ; Amos married
Mary Flinchbaugh, and lives with his mother;
Annie, the wife of Reuben Eckert, lives in
Chanceford township; Catherine, the wife of
Henry Reever, lives in Springfield township;
Ellen, who married Emanuel Heaney, lives at
Cross Roads, Hopewell township ; and Mollie
A., who taught school at Felton, is now super-
intendent of a colored institution at Millville,
Baltimore Co., Md., a position she has held
for the past ten years.

Benjamin F. Moore received his education
in Chanceford township, attending school un-
til sixteen years of age, and then started out
to make his own way in the world. His first
employment was with Henry Blouser in
Spring Garden township, York county, where
he remained three years, and then went with
Mr. N. C. Diehl for three years. He married
•Amanda Smith, daughter of Charles and Har-
riet (Hoover) Smith, and after marriage lo-
cated at Emigsville, for one year, after which
they located at Spring Garden township, where
Mr. Moore was employed by Eli Ebert for
five years. He built his present home, No. 956
East Market street, in 1877. He then went to
Spring Garden township, where he was em-
ployed at various occupations for a time, burn-
ing brick for nine years with I. Fry & Co. In
1902 he went on the York police force under
Mayor M. B. Gibson, and remained on the
force for three years. Mr. Moore is now em-
ployed by the Reich Construction Co., as night
engineer.

Mr. and Mrs. Moore have no children, but
they reared Edward Bender, now a promising
young business man, and a chain maker by
trade, who married Bertha Sipe. Mr. and
Mrs. Moore are members of Christ Lutheran
Church.

CLAYTON D. SMITH, a prominent and
enterprising young business man of York, who
has won his way to success through his own
efforts, starting in life as a poor boy, is the
junior member of the firm which operates the
Star Laundry, the second largest in its line of
business in York. Mr. Smith was born Sept.
23, 1874, in Mechanicsburg, Cumberland
county, son of Adam H. and Alary J.
(Kunkle) Smith.

The Smith family originated in Germany,
and the York county branch was planted in



970



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



America about the year 1700 by two brothers,
John and Peter Smith, who settled in Lancas-
ter county, Pa., in the valley of the Cones-
toga Creek. There they lived until 1720,
when, with their families, they came to York
county. Pa., purchasing about 500 acres of
land along the Bermudian Creek, in what was
then Warrington township, but now is Wash-
ington township (which was erected from the
western part of Warrington). The two broth-
ers were farmers, and lived simple, pleasant
lives. John became the father of Jacob, Eman-
uel, Gabriel and Salome. Peter's children
were: Samuel, Henry, Abraham, Peter,
George, Mary, Hannah, Elizabeth and Cath-
arine. These children grew to maturity, inter-
married with some of the foremost families in
York, Adams, Cumberland and Lancaster
counties, and their descendants today, under
such names as Nathcer, Zimmerman, Myers,
Newcomer, Chronister, Brown, Ernst, Fickel;
Butt, McReary, Bower, Wheler and Smith,
are scattered all over the Union.

(II) Jacob Smith, son of John, married
Elizabeth Smith, third daughter of Peter, and
to this union were born six sons and three
daughters, namely : ( i ) Joel married Widow
Polly Bower, and died at a ripe old age with-
out issue. (2) John married Nancy Roller,
and their children were : William, of Lewis-
berry, York county; Levi, of Reading town-
ship, who died leaving a family of eight boys;
Anna, who married Peter Coble, of York ;
Elizabeth, who married Joseph Kunkle, of
Cashtown, Adams Co., Pa. ; John, now living
at Alpine, Warrington township, this county;
Ephraim, residing at Hall, Pa. ; Rebecca, who
married Edward Brillhart, of Bigmount, York
county; Moses, of Highspire, Lancaster coun-
ty; and Josiah, who died at the age of twenty
years. (3) Mary married George Myers, and
became the mother of one son and four daugh-
ters : George who became one of Ohio's fore-
most men, and died at the advanced age of
eighty-three; Polly, who married a Dull; Mar-
garet, who married a Bream; Harriet, who
also married a Bream; and Mary, who mar-
ried a Myers, and moved to St. Joseph, Mich.,
while her sisters Polly, Margaret and Harriet
remained in Pennsylvania, finding homes in
the vicinity of Biglerville, Adains county.
(4) Anna died unmarried. (5) Gabriel was
twice married, and by his first wife had born
to him : Joseph, Jacob, Louis, Sarah, Susan,



Barbara, Lydia and Louisa. This famjly all
live in the neighborhood of Bendersville,
Arendtsville and Gettysburg, Adams county,
except Lydia, who moved to Winchester, Va.
(6) Peter J. is mentioned below. (7) Jacob.
(8) Rebecca married a Newcomer. (9) Da-
rius never married.

(Ill) Peter J. Smith, son of Jacob, mar-
ried Eva Bentz, and they began their wedded
life on a farm near Davidsburg, York county.
After the second year they bought a small
farm in Washington township, this county,
near the town hall, and there they lived for
thirty-three years. They were the parents of
seven boys and one girl, as follows : ( i ) An-
drew B., born in 1839, learned the saddler's
trade, which he followed until the outbreak of
the Civil war in 1861. He enlisted in Com-
pany H, 87th P. V. I., and served three years,
and when he was honorably discharged held
the rank of captain. He was taken prisoner
at Winchester, and suffered six weeks confine-
ment in Libby prison. He died at the age of
thirty-four, the father of three children : Ar-
thur C, the capable assistant manager of one
of the largest flouring mills in the world, at
Minneapolis, Minn. ; Grace, who married Irvin
C. Hummel, of Mechanicsburg, Pa. ; and Ber-
tha, who died aged nine years. (2) Leah
married John Hoffman, a soldier and comrade
of his brother Andrew B. They moved tO'
Parsons, Kans., in 1877, and afterward went
to Nebraska, but because of the severe winters
returned to Kansas, their present home. Their
eldest son, Jacob S., remained on the farm in
Nebraska, and of their other children, Mary
Emma married and lives in Nebraska; Peter
is at home; John is an electrician and lives in
Florida; and Eva is at home. (3) Adam H.
is mentioned farther on. (4) Hiram B. left
home in 1870 for the West, and has never
been back. He has met with all the disasters
of wind, drought and fire, but with the steady
persistence and energy of his race he has-
forged ahead, and after being engaged in
farming and in the hardware business, he is
now postmaster at Portis, Kans. He had
three daughters and one son, the latter dying
at the age of five years. (5) Peter B. went to
Nebraska in 1879 with his brother Aaron G.
He has been teaching school, building ware-
houses, traveling, etc., ever since, and at pres-
ent is president of the largest grain and mill-
ing company in the world, located at Minne-



BIOGRAPHICAL



971



apolis, Minn. He has been twice married, but
has no children. (6) Aaron G. is a successful
farmer in Washington township, York county,
owning two fai"ms, and also a lot in Hall. He
has been married twice, by his first wife ha\ -
ing four children, Lloyd, Portis, Anna D. and
Susie Eva. (7) David F. has always lived in
the vicinity of the old home. For twenty-nine
years he taught school, and for almost twenty
years has been a justice of the peace. He mar-
ried Mary C. Hartman, and they have had
children as follows: Bessie M. ; Maud H. ;
Esther Helen ; Mary Ada, who died aged eight
years; and Luke Russel. (8) Jacob L. died
in boyhood.

(IV) Adam H. Smith, second son of Peter
J., was born in Washington township, York
county, and was a millwright by trade. For
four or five years he was a veiy successful
school teacher, and afterward engaged in farm-
ing, which he continued until the death of his
wife, Mary J. Kunkle. He then sold out and
moved to the city. His health failed, and he
died in 1892. During the Civil war he served
nine months as a private in Company E, 200th
P. V. I. His children, who for a time all re-
mained in York, were : Dora B., who married
Samuel Smith; Clayton D. ; Hattie M., who
married Charles Brant, of York; Mary A., a
successful teacher for several years at Spring
Grove, Pa.; Harry W., an electrician in York;
and Myrtle B., now deceased.

(V) Clayton D. Smith was brought to
York at the age of twelve years by his father,
where he was educated in the public schools.
His first employment was as bookkeeper for
the York Ice and Refrigerating Co., with
which company he remained eighteen months,
when he engaged with the City Laundry,
where he filled various positions until 1899.
In this year, in company with his present part-
ner, L. D. Herman, Mr. Smith started in busi-
ness in a small way, employing but three peo-
ple, and having just such machinery as was
absolutely necessary, and they have since in-
creased their capacity and machinery until
they now have a fully equipped, modern plant,
and give employment to nineteen people. The
business of the Star Laundry is not confined to
York alone. In fact, about one-half of their
business is from outside agencies in the State
and in Maryland, and the firm stands high
in the estimation of the people.

On March 17, 1898, Mr. Smith was mar-
ried to Miss Minnie Eichelberger, born in



Monaghan township, daughter of Alfred and
Mary (Mellinger) Eichelberger, of that town-
ship. Mrs. Smith's grandparents were wor-
shippers in the River Brethren Church, and
her parents worshipped in the Church of God.
All were farming people. Mrs. Smith's grand-
father. Squire Eichelberger, was well-known
in Monaghan township for many years. To
Mr. and Mrs. Clayton D. Smith have been
born three children : Edna Grace, Mary Pau-
line and Clayton Dale, Jr.

Mr. Smith and his wife are members of the
St. Paul's United Evangelical Church, in
which he takes an active part, being a member
of the building committee on the erection of
the new edifice. He is superintendent of the
Sunday-school, in which he has been active
for some time past. He is a member of the
Jr. O. U. A. M., No. 505, in which he has
passed all the chairs, and is now one of the
trustees; and the I. O. O. F., No. 47; the K.
of M., No. 174; and the S. of V., No. 33. Mr.
Smith and his family reside at No. 452 West
King street, York.

FRANCIS S. ZINN,the popular alderman
of the Sixth ward of York, is one of the most
conspicuous figures in the political life of the
city. He is a lineal descendant of Count Wall-
enstein, whose very name was a synonym for
victory in the armies of Ferdinand II, of Ger-
many, during- the Thirty Years' War, and who,
according to his biographer, "was blunt,short
and proud, and something mysterious about
him that, with his magnificent gifts, bound,
men's hearts to him." Francis L. Zinn was
born Oct. 26, 1847, in Hirschberg, Province of
Silesia, Austria, son of George J. and Theresa
(Herhesal) Zinn. The name was originally
spelled Zfirn.

M^ajor George J. Zinn came of a military
people and a proud race. He served with valor
in the Austrian army, but when ill-timed coun-
sels brought obscurity to the Austrians he de-
parted for the United States. Soon after land-
ing he settled in Hanover, York county, where
he made a home for himself and family. His
brother served in the Union anny, commanding
a brigade of New York troops and leading
them at the battle of the Wilderness. When the
smoke of that terrible conflict had cleared away
General Zinn was numbered among the miss-
ing. ?n^ was never afterward heard of.

Major Zinn was born in Wittenberg, Ger-



■97



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY PENNSYLVANIA



many, March i8, 1810, and in 1857 came to
Hanover, York county. He was made super-
intendent of Mount Olivet cemetery, holding
that position until his death, in 1879, when he
was laid to rest with the honors accorded Odd
Fellows and members of the Grand Army of
the Republic in the cemetery which he had so
long cared for. Like all his family he was large
of stature and noted for his strength. During
the Civil war he served nine months in Com-
pany F, i66th P. V. I. His wife, Theresa
Herhesal, was a daughter of Henry Herhesal,
of Austria. Five children blessed this home, all
of tliem born at Hirschberg, Austria, namely:
Mary K., wife of Heni-y Fleeschauer, of New
York City; Fanny, wife of Ludwig Marerott,
of Hanover, York county; Rosa Theresa, wife
of Joseph Every, of New York City; John L.,
who succeeded his father as superintendent of
Mount Olivet cemetery; and Francis S., the al-
derman of the Sixth ward.

Francis S. Zinn grew to manhood in Han-
over, York county, and was educated at the
Hanover Collegiate Institute. Becoming profi-
cient in the German language, he taught it for
•some time in New York City. Returning to
Hanover, he remained there until 1888, when
he was made steward of the York County Alms-
house, where he served three years with dis-
tinguished ability. His first recognition of a
political character was his election as assessor
of Heidelberg township in 1866. Next he
served as school director for nine years. After
his term as steward at the Almshouse expired,
he superintended the construction of the "Hob-
leston Hotel," at Turnpike Station, on the
Stewartstown railroad, and in 1894 was ap-
pointed alderman of the Sixth ward of York,
to fill the vacancy caused by the death of John
Bentz. In 1895 he was elected to the office for
a term of five years, again in 1900, and honored
with a third election in February, igos, enjoy-
ing the distinction of being the only Democrat
elected in the city at that time. He received a
majority of seventeen, in a ward so strongly
Republican that it gave Roosevelt a majority
of 358 in November, 1904.

Mr. Zinn is an Odd Fellow, being a mem-
ber of Hanover Encampment No. 327, also of
the State and National Encampments. He is
quite a musician, having been for years the di-
rector of the Silver Bandi, of Hanover, and be-
ing in charge of the Bee Hive Orchestra of
Christ Lutheran Church, in which he has also



been elder for eight or more years, and is at
present the secretary of the vestry.

Mr. Zinn has been twice married. His first
wife, whom he married in March, 1868, was
Belinda Parr, daughter of Jacob Parr. She
died Feb. 5, 1882, in her thirty-second year,
the mother of four children : Ida M. (wife of
Edward Jacobs), Otto J., George W. and R. T.
On Aug. 22, 1883, Mr. Zinn married Anne
Mary Gebensleben, of Hanover, and to this
union has come one daughter, Alberta Geor-
gianna, who is living at home.

FRANCIS A. BARRETT, well-known in
his section of York county as a good citizen,
has been successfully engaged in farming for
many years. He was born in Wooster, Ohio,
Oct. 7, 1841.

Mr. Barrett's grandfather was born in
Yorkshire, England, and came to this country
in 1 82 1, following the hotel business until his
death. His son, our subject's father, was also
born in Yorkshire, England, in 1809. Com-
ing to America with his father in 182 1, he set-
tled at Wooster, Ohio, and took up the trade
of carpenter, later becoming a merchant. In
1830 he married Maria, daughter of David
and Mary Morris, of Pennsylvania, and he
died at Wooster, Ohio, aged eighty-two years;
his wife passed away at the age of sixty-eight
years.

Francis A. Barrett worked on the home
farm and assisted his father until old enough
to commence for himself, when he engaged in
the shoe business. In 1881 he gave it up and
purchased a farm at Wellsville, Warrington
township, and has continued agricultural pur-
suits up to the present time. Mr. Barrett was
twice married, his first wife being Emma H.
Wells, of Wellsville, who died in 1898, leav-
ing her husband three children : William
Hunter, who is in the leather business in New
York City; Ruth Dinsmore, a graduate of
Dickinson College, class of 1902, who is at
present teaching in the high school at Hazle-
ton, Penn. ; and Margaret Wells, who is at-
tending the Pratt Institute in Brooklyn. Mr.
Barrett's second marriage was to Clara A.,
daughter of William B. and Phoebe (Frankel-
berger) Ross, a descendant of the old Ross
family of York county, founders of Rossville,
Warrington township.

Mrs. Barrett was born on the old home-
stead near Rossville on a tract of land com-



BIOGRAPHICAL



973



prising between 300 and 400 acres, given to
Alexander Ross by the Penns, and at the pres-
ent time has in her possession the original
deed or land warrant, which is written on
parchment and bears Thomas Penn's signature,
also King George's seal attached. The first
Ross (of this branch) who came to America
was William, who married Jean Nisbitt. Ten
children blessed their union. Alexander, the eld-
est, married Margaret Ewing, and they also had
a family of ten children. William, the eldest,
married Margaret Bigham, and they had five
children, one of which was named William
Bigham Ross, and became the father of Mrs.
Barrett. William B. Ross was born in 1827.
In 1 85 1 he married Phoebe Frankelberger, of
Lewisberry, York Co., Pa., and to them seven
children were born, viz. : James Alexander,
who is deceased; Charles Frankelberger, a
justice of the peace of Warrington township;
Margaret Ann; Mary Elizabeth; Florence J.,
deceased; Clara A., married to Fi-ancis A. Bar-
rett ; and Alice Eliza, deceased.

The Ross family is one of the oldest and
most respected families in Warrington town-
ship and York county. William, son of Alex-
ander, was twice a member of the Legislature
and up to the time of his death, which occurred
in 1861, he was a justice of the peace, really
serving as counselor and court in many cases.
The Rosses have always been noted for their
honesty and integrity, always holding offices
of trust in the township, and have been in
truth among the makers of history. Four
generations of them now lie buried in the War-
rington Friends graveyard, it being the most
desirable resting-place in the township. The
first four generations held to the good old
Scotch-Irish Presbyterian faith; the present
generation are Methodists, there being no Pres-
byterian church nearer than ten miles, and they
decided they could worship with the Methodists
better than to go that distance to the Presby-
terian church. The older generations went
regularly to Dillsburg to worship in the old
Monaghan Church; they usually rode horse-
back, leaving the Ross homestead early in the
morning and taking lunch with them that they
might remain for the afternoon service.

WINFIELD SCOTT HAMMOND, of
Lewisberry, owner and controller of the Ham-
mond Window Sash Spring, to the manu-
facture of which the principal part of his busi-



ness career has been devoted, was born in
Lewisberry Sept. 11, 1847. He comes of a
family which has long been honored in that
vicinity, its members ranking among the most
progressive and intelligent people of the com-
munity.

The Hammonds are of Colonial stock, the
first of this line to come to America having
been William Hammond, son of Admiral
Hammond, of the English navy. Fie sailed
from Ipswich, England, in the ship "Francis,"
about 1634, and arriving in America joined
the Boston Colony, settling at Watertown,
Mass. The family was prominent in the mother
country, and its members have sustained the
prestige of the name on this side of the At-
lantic. From William and his brother Thomas,
who also emigrated to Massachusetts, most of
the Hammonds in this country are descended,
and many have become prominent in the in-
dustrial and political history of the United
States. They intermarried with the ancestors
of President Garfield and General Sherman,
who also settled in Watertown.

Jabez Hammond, the great-grandfather of
Winfield Scott Hammond, settled in the town
of Canterbury, Windham Co., Conn., about
1760. When the Revolution broke out he en-
tered the Colonial service and participated in
several of the decisive battles of that struggle.
Elisha Hammond, son of Jabez, was born
in Connecticut Feb. 7, 1769. He received an
excellent education in the schools of his native
State, understood the higher mathematics and
theoretical surveying and for a number of
years was a successful teacher. In early man-
hood he went to Marbletown, N. Y., where he
taught school in 1791, and later he followed
the profession at Owego, N. Y. Thence he
went to the Wyoming settlement in Luzerne
county, Pa., and from there came down the
Susquehanna river on an "ark," about 1797



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 185 of 201)