Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 186 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 186 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


locating in Fairview township, York county,
near Lewisberry. He brought with him many
books on scientific and literary subjects, and
before long was engaged to teach the youths
of the intelligent Quaker settlement, where
education was always encouraged. He was a
man of high character and enjoyed good stand-
ing wherever he went, and his endorsements of
qualifications and success in his profession have
come down to his descendants, who cherish
them highly. Mr. Hammond was acquainted
with I. M. Singer before he invented his



■974



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



famous sewing machine, having met him in
Pittsburg, and he examined the rough model
and suggested some improvements, loaning
Mr. Singer ten dollars to go ahead with the
invention.

Elisha Hammond married Rebecca Frank-
elberger, of a family prominent in the Red-
land Valley, and they became the parents of
ten children, namely: Hervey, Maria, Mary,
David, William, Hannah, John, Thomas,
Philip and Sarah. The father of this family
died March 28, 1824, the mother surviving un-
til Jan. 31, 1863; she reached the advanced
age of eighty-two years.

Hervey Hammond was born Dec. 23, 1800,
and grew to manhood in his native town,
meanwhile receiving his education in the
school of his father and that of Isaac Kirk,
the distinguished surveyor. He inherited the
love of learning from many generations of
scholarly ancestors, and proved a ready pupil,
attaining proficiency in the ordinary branches
at an unusually early age, and with his
father's advice and assistance delving into the
higher studies. He soon determined to follow
his father's profession. As early as 1825 he
introduced the scientific study of English
grammar in his neighborhood, and he was also
of a distinctly mathematical turn of mind.
This endowment he in time put to practical
use in the invention of the now famous Ham-
mond Window Sash Spring, which has con-
tinued to grow steadily in popularity up to the
present. It was patented in 1837, and the
year following Mr. Hammond placed the
springs in the windows of the White House,
at Washington, receiving a recommendation
for them from Henry Clay and other noted
people. From that time his principal attention
was devoted to their manufacture and sale,
and although he had no easy task he made a
complete success of the business. While en-
gaged as a traveling salesman, wholesaling
goods and merchandise, he began to introduce
his springs, and thus built up the business
which increased to such large proportions from
very small beginnings. He had to create a
market for his goods as well as to produce
them, and as few such appliances were then
in general use he had to educate his patrons
first to a sense of their need for them. By
1840 the number of annual sales had reached
35,000, and Mr. Hammond lived to see his
invention reach the profitable stage. He was
a progressive man in every way, and being



deeply interested in the cause of education
was one of the early supporters of free schools,
and became one of the first school directors
under the new law. He took an active part
always, in the work of the school board, and
was present at the election of his friend and
neighbor, Hon. Jacob Kirk, ' as first district
superintendent of the schools of York county.
He introduced many other improvements into
the village of Lewisberry, and was ever known
as one of its, most intelligent citizens.

On Sept. 15, 1825, at Carlisle, Pa., Mr.
Hammond married Katherine Ann Harman,
who was born Aug. 31, 1807, in Warrington
township, York county, daughter of Adam and
Rachel (Diceman) Harman, members of the
Methodist Church and intelligent, respected
people. Mrs. Hammond, like her husband,
was possessed of fine traits of mind and char-
acter. She survived her husband, dying July
31, 1863, while he passed away Aug. 27, 1855.
They were the parents of nine children, namely :
Andrew, who is deceased; Benjamin, who died
of cholera at Aurora, Ind., in 1849; Caroline
E., deceased; Delilah A., who lives in Mis-
souri; Edward W., a botanist, and vice-presi-
dent of the American Forestry Association for
Oregon; Rebecca R., of Cantrall, 111.; Mary,
who is deceased; Winfield Scott; and Ida C,
of Waynesburg, Greene Co., Pennsylvania.

Winfield Scott Hammond was born Sept.
II, 1847, in Lewisberry. He followed the bent
of the family generally in his taste for study
and reading, improving the excellent oppor-
tunities afforded at home and taking" advantage
of the encouragement he received from his
parents in that line. He acquired his early
education in the public schools and pursued
the higher branches at home, making good use
of the home library and other books to which
he had access. He was only a boy when the
Civil war broke out, but in the winter, early in
1865, he enlisted in Company I, I92d Penn-
sylvania Volunteers, continuing in the service
until the fall of the year. Soon after leaving
the army he went to Missouri, spending about
eighteen months in the southeastern section
of that State, during which time he was en-
gaged as compositor and local editor in a print-
ing office, and was also employed in the United
States land office, which was in charge of one
of the proprietors of the paper. This was under
what was known as the "carpet bag" regime,
and Mr. Hammond became acquainted with
many of the most important figures in the polit-



BIOGRAPHICAL



975



ical life of that part of the country, and had an
opportunity to enter same himself. He was
offered the clerkship of one of the southeastern
counties of the State, but he was anxious to
return home and get into business, and he
refused.

Coming back to, Pennsylvania, Mr. Ham-
mond engaged in the manufacture and sale of
the window springs, and has ever since con-
tinued in that line. Mr. Hammond has made
a number of improvements on the original
spring, has invented several new styles of
springs, and has changed completely the
process of manufacture, bringing his estab-
lishment up to date in every particular. The
springs are sold in large cjuantities to whole-
sale dealers. He is a progressive man in every
way, and has never lost his fondness for read-
ing and observation of matters of general in-
terest, so that he is not only known as one of
the successful residents of Lewisberry, but also
as one of that important class which supports
intellectual and educational movements which
promise to benefit the community in general
• and those who take enjoyment in such matters
in particular. He early developed a taste for
painting, and he has made many interesting
sketches of local places of interest, especially
in the upper end of York county. He has
served in local positions, having been a mem-
ber of the school board, of which he was sec-
retary, and he has twice been a delegate to the
State Republican convention.

Mr. Hammond was united in marriage, in
1873, to Miss Jeannette Starr, daughter of
Reuben T. and Elizabeth (Lloyd) Starr, of
Lewisberry, and three children were born to
them : ( i ) Edward, a clerk, holds a responsi-
ble position in the postofHce department at
Washington, D. C. (2) Grace K. is an artist,
and has been engaged to make drawings (of
flowers, plants and vegetables) for D. M. Ferry
& Co., of Detroit, Mich., and the Johnson Seed
House, of Philadelphia, and also for such high-
class magazines as the Ladies' Home Journal
and other publications'; the art editor of Har-
per's Magazine wrote her a request for draw-
ings. On Aug. 23, 1902, she became the wife
of William S. Nortenheim, a Philadelphia
artist, who makes all kinds of drawings for
books and magazines. He has recently pro-
duced cover designs for the Saturday Evening
Post and the Ladies' Home Journal. (3) Ben-
nett, the youngest child of Mr. and Mrs. Ham-
mond, born April 3, 1889, is now messenger



in the office of the commissioner of pensions
at Washington, D. C.

Mrs. Hammond is a member of the Metho-
dist Episcopal Church, but she is of Quaker
ancestry, her forefathers having been Friends
in Chester county, Pa., where the Taylor,
Sharpless, Lloyd and Starr families are well
known.

GEORGE ROBERT SEIFFERT, resid-
ing at No. 923 South St. Bernard street, Phila-
delphia, was born at Dover, York Co., Pa.,
Dec. 15, 1867. His father was Ambrose H.
Seiffert, who was married to Mary Ann Daron,
and both were also natives of York county.
Mr. Seiffert was educated in the York public
schools, graduating in 1886, and afterward
went to Philadelphia to complete a course in
stenography. He was subsequently employed
as stenographer for some years with the
Second Geological Survey of Pennsylvania
and the Pullman Palace Car Company. In
1892 he decided to engage in a mercantile ca-
reer, and established offices in Baltimore and
Washington for the sale of typewriters, etc.
Some years later he returned to Philadelphia,
where he continued in the same line of busi-
ness. In 1902 he became associated with the
Acme Tea Company, Inc., of Philadelphia, in
the capacity of office manager, and is still
identified with that corporation.

Mr. Seift'ert is a member of the Pennsyl-
vania Historical, Pennsylvania-German, Penn-
sylvania Genealogical, Yoi'k County His-
torical and other societies of a kindred char-
acter, and is deeply interested in their work.
He is at present compiling an extensive history
and genealogy of the "Seiffert-Henise and
Daron-Kern" families, representing the fam-
ilies of the parents of Mr. Seiffert's parents.

Mr. Seiflfert was married, on March 29,
1893, by Rev. A. S. Mowbray, to Miss Laura
Burkley Everson, of Newport, Del, daughter
of Alexander W. and Anna Belle (Flinn)
Everson. They have 'two children : JNIervin
Francis, born June 7, 1894, and George Rob-
ert, Jr., born August 12, 1906.

It is claimed that the first emigrant an-
cestor of the Seifert family was Johann Sei-
fert, of Wittenberg, Germany, who sailing
from Bremen landed in this country in 1676.
He eloped with a Miss Schwatzwalder, whose
parents were very wealthy, and who were op-
posed to the match by reason of the financial
condition of her ardent young admirer. Deter-



9/6



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



mined to husband \\hat little money they were
able to get together in their hasty flight, they
decided to work out their passage. Consequent-
ly on arri^•al at New Amsterdam they were both
sold by the captain of the vessel to a farmer
in the northern part of New Jersey for £30
each. In return for this amount the farmer
received their services for one year, and upon
the expiration of their bondage the couple, be-
ing free, were duly married. Having decided
to locate in Pennsylvania, they crossed above
Easton, and amid many hardships traveled over
the northei-n section of the State, finally select-
ing a home site in Perry county, near the junc-
tion of the Juniata and Susquehanna rivers.

Information, at this writing, as to the
names and number of their children, is too
meager to be recorded here. It is known
definitely, however, that a grandson of this
couple, Adam Seyfert, was born in Perry
county, June 13, 1722. During the Revolu-
tion, owing to the Indians becoming very
troublesome, Adam and his family were
obliged to desert their home and temporarily
moved eastward. Later they returned and lo-
cated in York county, near Dover. Here
Adam died Dec. 28, 1787, and was buried in
the old graveyard at Strayer's church. His
widow Anna Mary survived him, and accord-
ing to his will they had but one child, Michael.

This son Michael (Dover township) and
his wife Matelena had ten children, as follows :
Michael (married Polly Leimbaugh), John
(married a Lauer), Catharine (married Jo-
seph Bower), George (married Mary ),

John Adam, Philip, Barbara, Elizabeth, Mary
and Susanna. Michael afterward separated
from his wife. He married again and removed
to Ohio, establishing a large mill near Ma-
rietta. Some years later he was accidentally
killed in his mill.

Michael (York county), who was married
to Polly Leimbaugh, died April 29, 1863, at
the age of eighty-eight years, and his wife on
Sept. 21, 1850, aged sixty-seven years; both
were buried in the old graveyard at Strayer's
church. The nine children of this couple were :
Lydia (married George Burkheimer), Samuel
(married Elizabeth Menges), Susanna (mar-
ried George Kimmel), Catharine (married
Joseph Straley and afterward John Gerber) ,

Andrew (married Annie ), Rev. Henry

(married Harriet Meisenhelter), Sarah (mar-
ried Philip Seidenstricker), Lucy (married
Abraham Lonkerd), and Michael.



John (Dover township), the second named
son of Michael and Matelena, was first married
to a Lauer, and after her death he married a
widow named Brown. They removed to Ohio
about 1830, settling near Fairfield, where both
died. John's children, seven in number, were
all by his first wife, namely : John (married
Elizabeth Henise), Jesse (married Lucy Ann
Zinn), Lena (married Abraham Gordon),
Sarah (married John Brown), Michael, Abra-
ham and Jacob.

John Seifert (Dover), who married Eliza-
beth Henise, the daughter of George and Bar-
bara (Meisenhelter) Henise, died March 29,
1888, at the age of seventy-four, and his widow
died Dec. 12, 1889, aged seventy-seven years;
both are buried in the cemetery at Strayer's
church. This couple had seven children also :
Ambrose H. (married Mary Ann Daron)
Franklin L. (married Elizabeth Jacoby), Sarah
Catharine (married John Strine), Rebecca
E. (married Rolandus H. Stouch), Barbara
Ann, Emeline Sophia, and John Henry died
single.

Ambrose H. Seiffert (York, Pa.), who mar-
ried Mary Ann Daron, the daughter of George
and Lydia (Kern) Daron, died Sept. 2, 1904,
aged sixty-six years, and was buried at Green-
mount cemetery. His widow is still living.
They had five children, all living : John Henry,
George Robert (the subject of our sketch),
Franklin Morris, Maggie Musette, and Ralph
Stuart.

AUGUSTUS M. HAKE, contractor and
builder, is one of the most promising young
business men of York. He has been estab-
lished in the contracting line for only three
years, but has, nevertheless, in that short time,
made his way to the very front rank of the
city's builders. He was born in Manchester,
York county, July 18, 1873, son of Frederick
G. and Sallie (Moore) Hake, at that time
residents of Manchester.

The Hake family is of German descent.
The grandparents of Augustus M. Hake were
Andrew F. and Eliza (Gross) Hake, who
reared a family of four sons and three daugh-
ters. Frederick G. Hake was the eldest son,
and was born in Conewago township, York
county, May 29, 1837. He remained on the
home farm until he, was grown, receiving his
education in the public schools, and at the age
of twenty-one he started" in life for himself.
He remained in Manchester borough until



BIOGRAPHICAL



977



1874, in that year moving to a fine farm of
160 acres which he owned, four miles west of
York. His parents had left Manchester two
years earlier and moved to Harrisburg, where
they passed the rest of their lives in retirement.
Mr. Hake was married at the age of twenty-
three to Miss Sarah Moore, daughter of Jacob
Moore, of Manchester borough, and a family
of ten children was born to them, namely :
Edward M., who is a railway official at St.
Louis ; Mary Ellen, Mrs. Joseph Eisenhart ;
William Albert, a grocer; Jennie, Mrs. Luther
Glatfelter; Elizabeth; Annie; Augustus M. ;
Maggie; Carrie; and Hattie. Mr. and Mrs.
Hake were brought up in the Lutheran Church,
but as the United Brethren Church was nearer
they united with that in 1874. Mr. Hake owns
considerable valuable property, in different
places, and is a prominent and highly respected
citizen.

Augustus M. Hake attended the public
schools of his native town and at the age of
fifteen began to learn the carpenter's trade.
Later appreciating the opportunities before
him in his chosen line of work he began a five
years' course at tlfe International Correspond-
ence School of Scranton, and in 1902 was
graduated in architecture. Meantime, after
completing his apprenticeship in carpentry
under Henry Draer, of Mt. Wolf, Mr. Hake
worked at his trade for a year in St. Louis,
and then returned to York to take employment
under such contractors as George Yenger, J.
C. Fallon and Jacob Beitzel. On March i, 1903,
he severed his connection with the last named
and in company with Harry Ebert engaged
in contracting and building under the firm
name of A. M. Hake & Co. Their office is at
No. 10 West Market street, and they have
from the very beginning done an extensive
business, employing sixty-five men on an aver-
age. During the year 1903 they erected fifty-
four buildings, and sixty-six in the succeeding
year, the largest amount of business done by
any similar firm in the city, while for 1905
they held contracts for ninety-nine houses, new
structures. Among their principal contracts
were seven on South Pine street, fifteen on
Locust, nine on Reinecker place, eight on Ham-
ilton avenue, thirteen on Penn and Codorus,
two on West Market, six on West Princess
street, and sixteen in Eberton, all residence
properties. Mr. Hake is admirably equipped
for his work, as he is a thorough mechanic and
62



carpenter as well as architect, and he gives his
entire attention to his building operations.

On Oct. 27, 1896, Mr. Hake was united m
matrimony to Miss Carrie Welsh, daughter
of Albert Welsh, and their union has been-
blessed with one daughter, Emma. The fam-
ily home is at No. 427 South George street.

JOHN R. LAFEAN, of the well known
firm of Lafean Bros., manufacturing confec-
tioners, is a brother of Hon. D. F. Lafean, of
Charles F. Lafean, president of the Lafean
Paper Company, and also of A. H. Lafean &
Brother, the West Market street druggists, all
of whose sketches will be found elsewhere. Mr.
Lafean was born in York July 29, 1873, and
received his education in the public schools.
Immediately thereafter he entered into the
wholesale candy business, the other members
of the firm being Charles F. and George Jacob.
Their manufactures include staple penny goods
and mixtures, and their business, which was
established in 1886, has grown to large propor-
tions, as their goods find a constant market
throughout the State.

John R. Lafean was married July 3, 190a,.
to Georgetta L. Moore, daughter of the late
George Moore, of Shrewsbury. To Mr. and
Mrs. Lafean one child has been born, Henry
Moore. John R. Lafean is a member of the
Blue Lodge of Masons; Junior Order of
American Mechanics; the Knights of Malta;
the York Club, and York Lodge of Elks. He is
a consistent member of Christ Evangelical
Lutheran Church. In politics, like all of the
Lafean family, he is an earnest Republican;
was honored with the position of chairman of
the highway commission for two years, and
was also president of the Select branch of the
Councils, to which latter office he was elected
from the Fourth ward of York. In February,
1905, he was elected city treasurer of York by
a handsome majority. Mr. Lafean has made
a very popular official and counts his friends
by the score, not only in the Republican party,
in the ranks of which he is an energetic worker,
but among the Democrats as well ; for, while
one of the stanchest of Republicans, he is never
offensive. As president of the Select council
he was impartial in his rulings and commanded
the respect of men of all parties, as was evident
by his triumphant election to the .responsible
office of city treasurer.



97S



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



HENRY S. LANDIS, residing on his
tine farm of twenty-eight acres situated one
mile south ot Stony Brook, was born July 12,
•1840, in that neighborhood, son of Jimanuel
and Catherine (Sheaffer) Landis.

John Landis, the paternal grandfather of
Henry S. Landis, married a Miss Kaltreider.

Emanuel Landis in early life was a laborer
but later bought a farm, which he worked un-
til his death at the age of hfty-eight years.
Politically he was a .Democrat. The chil-
dren born to him and his wife were as fol-
lows : Henry S. ; Abraham, deceased ; Levi,
deceased; Sarah, who married Samuel Hovis,
of York township; John, who resides in Do-
ver; David, who resides in Ohio; Adam, who
.lives in York; and one daughter that died in
;inf ancy.

Henry S. Landis was reared in York coun-
ty and received his education in the common
schools, remaining at home until twenty years
of age when he engaged as a day laborer for
a time. He then rented a farm, which he
^vorked until about 1882 or 1883, when he
purchased the farm which he now owns, and
.on which, he has since remained.

In 1864 Mr. Landis married Miss Lydia
B. Lehman, daughter of Bishop Jacob Leh-
man : she died March i, 1904, at the age of
sixty-five years and eight months. Eight
children were born to this union, four of
whom died in infancy. Those still living are :
Fannie, who married Aaron Kise, a cigar ma-
ker; Mary, who married Franklin Leader, of
York; William, a cigar maker of North York;
and Clapton, a former school teacher, now a
clerk for the York Safe Works. Mr. Landis
has been supervisor of the township, and for
six vears a member of the school board. In
religion he is connected with the Mennonite
Church. He is a leading citizen of Springets-
bury township, where through a long life of
industry and good citizenship, he has won the
esteem of all.

GEORGE A. LONG is prominently asso-
ciated with one of the successful industries of
Hanover — the Long Furniture Company. This
business, which was afterward incorporated,
was established as a limited partnership by A.
C. Long, A. R. Crandall, J. B. Weeks, F. J.
Bussom, John L. Long and John W. Mumper.
Thev manufacture tables of a wide variety,



which have won quick appreciation in the fur-
niture trade, and now command a ready sale
throughout the United States. A consider-
able export trade has also been established,
especially in England, Australia and Mexico.
The large plant of the company is substantially
built of brick, and is equipped with the latest
and most highly improved machinery, and em-
ploys regularly from eighty to one hundred
men.

George A. Long, secretary of this pros-
perous corporation, was born in Hanover, Pa.,
in 1S67, son of Henry and Sarah (Funk)
Long, of York county, and grandson of John
Long, who was born near York in 1785, and
throughout life followed the trade of tailor.
Henry Long, father of George A., was born
in Marietta, Lancaster county, Oct. 10, 1819,
and has spent his long life largely in York
county. He was twice married, first to a Miss
Libhart, and second to Sarah. Funk. His chil-
dren were: Adaline; Mary E., who married
M. H. Naill, of Hanover; Hon. W. H., ex-
member of the State Legislature ; John Luther,
a prominent attorney and dramatist of Phila-
delphia; Sarah J., who married Rev. J. H.
Correll, now stationed as missionary in Japan :
George A. ; and Albert C, superintendent of
The Long Furniture Company. The father,
Henry Long, is a prominent member of St.
]Matthew's Lutheran Church, and in politics
is a stanch Democrat. Though now in his
eighty-seventh year he is hale and hearty.

In the public schools of Hanover George
A. Long received his education. In his earlier
business life he was prominently identified
with the boot and shoe business, and was at
one time a member of the shoe manufacturing
concern of Bacon, Long & Bean. i\mong his
other business interests Mr. Long is a stock-
holder and director of the Hanover Improve-
ment Company, of which he was one of the
leading organizers.

Mr. Long is a prominent member of Han-
over Lodge, No. 327. I. O. O'. F., and also
of Hanover Lodge, No. 763, B. P. O. Elks.
As a factor in the religious and social life of
Hanover and vicinity, he is endowed with a
strong and musical bass voice, and as a vocalist
he has ably conducted several choirs in the
churches of Hanover.

Mr. Long married Sarah J. Bingley. daugh-
ter of John J. and Sarah Bingley, of Hanover.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Long are active and in-



BIOGRAPHICAL



979



fluential in the work of St. Matthew's Lu-
theran Church.

WALTER FRANKLIN OWEN, deputy
sheriff of York county, is a son of Thomas
F. and Mary (White) Owen, the former the
well-known South Beaver street clothier.

Thomas F. Owen married Mary White,
daughter of T. Kirk White, and she died Feb.
2, 1892, aged forty )'ears. Six children were
born lO this marriage, of whom Blanche died
at the age of fifteen 3'ears; Kirk is connected
with the York Daily; Ashmer is a clerk in



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 186 of 201)