Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 189 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 189 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


thereafter completed a course of study in the
York County Academy, one of the old and
popular educational institutions of this section
of the State. Mr. Gable's initial endeavors-
in a business way were made in the position
of clerk in a local dry-goods store, and he con-
tinued to be thereafter engaged in clerical
work for the long period of twenty years, be-
coming well known to the people of the county
and gaining a high reputation as a capable and
courteous salesman. In 1883 he removed to
Emigsville, this county, where, during the en-
suing three years, he had sole charge of the
extensive mercantile business of the firm of
Emig & Co. He then accepted a position as-
salesman in a large carpet house in York, re-
maining with this concern for sixteen years,
during fourteen years of which time he was-
its bookkeeper. In 1900 he turned his atten-
tion to the insurance business, and that his
rise has been rapid and creditable in the most
marked degree is evident from the responsible
position which he now holds, having been ap-
pointed district agent for the John Hancock
Life Insurance Company for York county in
January, 1906, said company having long been
known as one of the strongest and most popu-
lar life indemnity companies of the world.

Mr. Gable is a member of the Relief As-
sociation of Emigsville and is an active and
valued member of the Zion Lutheran Church
in York, having been a member of the church
council for more than forty years. In matters
political he has even been found stanchly ar-
rayed as a supporter of the principles and
policies of the Democratic party, and while
he has never been an office seeker he has at
all times shown a lively interest in public af-
fairs, particularly those of a local nature, while
he is known as a reliable, progressive and pub-
lic-spirited citizen and as one whose career has
been marked by utmost fidelity and loyalty
in all the relations of life. At one time he
was secretary of the York board of school con-
trol, in which capacity he rendered most ef-
fective service.

On Jan. 7, 1862, was solemnized the mar-
riage of Mr. Gable to Miss Susan Filmore,
who was born and reared in York county, be-
ing a daughter of the late Frederick Filmore,
and of this union have been born two children,
Margaret Catherine, who is the wife of Horace
Brillinger, of Emigsville; and Horace E., a
resident of the city of Philadelphia, who is a
printer by vocation.



990



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



BENJAMIN F. HOFFMAN, a progress-
ive business man and prominent resident of
Dillsburg township, is descended from a family
long settled in York county, but originally of
German ancestiy. The great-grandfather, Da-
vid Hofifman, was born near Latimore, on the
family homestead. He married Miss Catherine
Hollinger, and their children were Solomon,
David, William, Lydia and Peter.

Peter Hoffman, who became a well-known
resident of the count}^, married Judy, daughter
of Solomon Kerchner. Mr. Hoffman died at
the age of fifty-two, but his wife survived
him many years and lived to be eighty-six.
They were the parents of : Jacob, deceased ;
Tempes, born in 1828, near Latimore; George
and Elizabeth, both deceased ; Henry, who
married Susan Burtner; Catherine, Mrs.
August Fisher; Mary Ann and Sophie, de-
ceased; Solomon, who married Susan Kunkle;
and Andrew, who married Jennie Bare.

Tempes Hoffman married Mrs. Catherine
(Berkheimer) Hofifman, who was born in
1823, and died in 1894. Their children were
as follows : Annie, who married John Myers,
a resident of Dover township, York county,
and has had eight children, John (deceased).
Ivy, Goldie, Raymond, Norman, Catherine, Jo-
seph and Carrie; William, who married Miss
Cora Thomas, lives in Franklin township, and
has three daughters, Esther, Mary Ann and
Rachel; and Benjamin F.

Benjamin F. Hoffman was born on the
old homestead near Latimore in 1872. After
finishing his education he engaged in farming
for a short time, and then went to Harris-
burg, where for two years he worked in the
ice business, and also worked in a plumbing
establishment. The next two years were
passed in farming again, and Mr. Hoffman
then entered upon the occupation which has
engaged his attention ever since, the managing
of a livery stable. He is wide awake and pro-
gressive, and has been very successful. He is
the owner of a good piece of property on.
which he has recently built a handsome resi-
dence, and on which also stands his fine new
stable with space for thirty-four horses. Mr.
Floffman has been active in public affairs, be-
longing to the Republican party, and has held
various offices, at present being councilman.

Mr. Hoffman's marriage occurred in 1893,
to Miss Emma D. Cook, daughter of Heze-
kiah Cook, and the following children have
been born to them : Roy William, deceased ;



Norman Ray ; Martha May, and Catherine.
In religious belief both Mr. and Mrs. Hoff-
man are members of the German Baptist
Church.

PETER E. STOUGH. The city of York
has a number of well-conducted livery stables,
but none is better managed than that owned
and operated by Peter E. Stough, and only
one in the city is larger. He is located near
the "City Hotel" and has been in the business
for many years, having thus acquired a wide
experience in its details.

Mr. Stough was born in York, Oct. 11,
1864, son of Peter E. and Agnes (Glatfetter)
Stough. The latter is still living, but the father
died the year his namesake was born. He was
a molder by trade, and came to York from the
vicinity of Dillsburg. His death left his widow
with three children to provide for, viz. :
Charles J., Annie K. (Mrs. Edward Harris),
and Peter E.

Peter E. Stough grew up in York and at-
tended the public schools. Even in childhood
he began to help his mother, from the time he
was ten years old, doing many odd jobs to earn
a little money. For a time he worked in a
carpenter shop, and then in livery stables,
finally taking up his father's trade of molder,
when he was fifteen. This he followed for
four years, but at the end of that time decided
to return to the livery business. For a while
he worked with Mr. Fleming and then started
for hirhself, at the location where he is found
today. He began with four horses, gradually
increased his stock, and also conducted a board-
ing stable, but after five or six years
he sold out his establishment. In 1894 he
bought back his former business, and with Mr.
Wellensiek as a partner conducted it again for
two years. Since 1896, however, Mr. Stough
has been the only proprietor. He owns two
barns, has sixteen head of the best livery stock,
and has a large number in his boarding stables,
keeping from forty-five to fifty horses alto-
gether. His success is an evidence of what can
be accomplished by a man of energy and deter-
mination, for Mr. Stough began with nothing.

Mr. Stough remained at home with his
mother until his marriage, an event which oc-
curred July 18, 1889. Mrs. .Stough was Miss
Laura Beck, daughter of James B. Beck, a
cigar manufacturer of North Newberry street.
She is a member of the United Brethren
Church. To the union of Peter E. and Laura



BIOGRAPHICAL



991



Stough have been born one son and one daugh-
ter, Harry B. and ■Mary Emma. The family re-
side at No. 408 \Vest Philadelphia street. Mr.
Stough is among- the highly respected citizens
of York.

ADAM A. EHRHART is one of the rep-
resentative citizens of York township, and a
member of one of the pioneer families of this
section. Pie is at the present time devoting
his • attention to agricultural pursuits, but
formerly was a successful and popular teacher
in the schools of his native county.

Mr. Ehrhart was born in Shrewsbury town-
shiiJ, York county, on Aug. 4, 1866, son of
William and Eliza (Stump) Ehrhart. His
father was born in Shrewsbury township, this
county, Oct. 18, 1830, son of William and
Ablena (Runk) Ehrhart, and grandson of
\\'illiam and Susanna Ehrhart. The father of
our subject was reared to manhood in his na-
ti\-e 'county, and his early educational training
was secured in the subscription schools main-
tained in Shrewsbury township in the pioneer
era. He became one of the prominent iniluen-
tial farmers of Shrewsbury township, whence
he later removed to York township, where he
continued in the same vocation until April,
1903, when he took up his residence in the vil-
lage of Dallastown, where he has since lived
retired, being held in the highest regard in the
county which has been his home throughout
his honorable and active life. He had two
brothers and four sisters, all of whom ^e now
deceased. The brothers, Emanuel and Henry,
both died in this county, and of the sisters we
r-ecord that Mary died unmarried ; Maria be-
came the wife of Peter Fulcomer; Eliza was
the wife of Harry Zeck; Lucinda was the wife
of Harry Gladfelter. In February, 1854, was
solemnized the marriage of William Ehrhart
to Eliza Stump, who was likewise born and
reared in this county, being a daughter of John
and Margaret (Hall) Stump. The loved and
devoted wife and mother was summoned into
eternal rest April 22, 1902, at the age of sixty-
seven years, and her memory rests as a bene-
diction on all those who came withinthe sphere
of her gentle influence. Of the children of
William and Eliza Ehrhart we record that
Rey. William H. is a clergyman of the Lu-
theran Church and at the time of this writing
is residing in Jefferson; Benjamin is engaged
in farming near Dallastown ; x\dam A. is the
immediate subject of this sketch; Jesse is a



clei-k in a store; John, Lucy and Elizabeth are
deceased; Mary and Catherine reside with
their venerable father in their pleasant home
in Dallastown. William Ehrhart is a preacher
of the Lutheran Church, of which his wife
likewise was a zealous member.

Adam A. Ehrhart, whose name initiates
this review, was a child of about three and one-
half years at the time of his parents' removal
from his native township of Shrewsbury to that
of York, and in the public schools of the lat-
ter he secured his preliminary educational dis-
cipline, which he later supplemented by well-
directed and appreciative study in the Y'ork
County Normal School and also the York
County Acadeni}', where he ably equipped him-
self for active work as a teacher. He initiated
his pedagogic career at the age of eighteen
years, and for seventeen terms continued as
a specially capable and successful teacher in
the schools of Y'ork township, taking great in-
terest in his work and continuing to follow the
same until his health became so impaired as
to render it imperative for him to seek a less
sedentary vocation. He accordingly withdrew
from the educational field in 1902, and he is
now devoting- his attention successfully to gen-
eral agriculture and horticulture, having two
small but exceptionally well-improved farms,
which are situated on the Chanceford pike,
about five miles distant from the city of York
— the one comprising six acres and the other
eighteen. Mr. Ehrhart is a man of independent
views and alert mentality and is at all times
loyal to the duties of citizenship, his political
allegiance being given to the Republican party,
in whose cause he takes a deep interest, though
he has never been afflicted with aspiration
for public office of any description. His re-
ligious faith is indicated in his membership
in the Lutheran Church, in which he has served
as deacon and assistant superintendent of the
Sunday-school. His wife was reared in the
faith of the Reformed Church, to which she
still holds, taking an active part in the various
departments of the church work.

On Jan. 5, 1889, was solemnized the mar-
riage of Mr. Ehrhart to Aliss Mary Jane ]\Ic-
Dowell, who was born and reared in this coun-
ty, being a daughter of Isaac and Eliza (Peel-
ing) McDowell, the former of whom is de-
ceased; he was a successful farmer of
York township. Concerning the children of
our subject we incorporate the following brief
record in conclusion of this sketch : Katie Belle



992



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



was born July 25, 1890; Laura Mabel, Sept.
19, 1892; Wi'lliam Isaac, Dec. 13, 1894; Les-
ter C, Aug. 22, 1897; Curvin Adam, March
28, 1900; and Grace Irene, Aug. 29, 1903.

JOSEPH NEWBOULD, a respected resi-
dent of York, where he has been located for
twenty-five years, was born April 30, 1852, in
Ridgeway, England, son of George and Mar-
garet (Leak) Newbould.

George Newbould was a mechanic in his
native country, making reaper knives when they
were first introduced into England, and also
manufacturing scythes. He died aged sixty
years, while his wife still survives, aged eighty-
five years. Their children were : Ellis, who is
now deceased; Mary, deceased; Sarah, resid-
ing in England, six miles from Manchester;
Joseph; Ellen, living at Southport, England;
Annie, a resident of England.; James, of Eng-
land ; and Margaret, deceased.

Joseph Newbould attended the common
schools of his native country until fifteen
years of age, and then learned the confectionery
business and the baking of fancy cakes. After
finishing his trade he was engaged for six
months as a journeyman, and in 1873 came to
America, landing at New York, where he re-
mained a short time. He then went to Sun-
bury, Pa., where he had an aunt whom he
had never seen, and he lived with this aur\t
four years in Sunbury, following his trade. He
then located in Bradford, Pa., and from there
went to Lock Haven and then to Harrisburg,
finally arriving in York May i, 1880. Here
he was at once employed by Benjamin Allison,
one of the largest bakers of York, in whose
employ he still remains.

On Dec. 11, 1880, Mr. Newbould married
Clara Allison, daughter of Benjamin and Mary
(Fulkemeyer) Allison. Mr. Allison's first wife
died in 1864, and he subsequently married Miss
Raffensberger. Mr. Newbould's children are
as follows : Charles E. first attended the public
school, later the York Academy, and was then
employed by the York Manufacturing Com-
pany in the draughting department, where he
is still engaged; he married Flora Patrick.
Mabel May is the wife of Harry Malsberger,
a pattern maker for a malleable iron foundry of
Wilmington, Del. George Benjamin is an elec-
trician employed with Mr. Graybill, of York.
In his political sympathies Mr. Newbould is as-
sociated with the Republican party.



LEWIS S. KERR was born in Codorus
township in 1869, and comes of an old Dela-
ware family, of Revolutionary stock.

(I) James Kerr was of Scotch-Irish de-
scent and was a farmer in Delaware, doing his
part bravely during the Revolution. His chil-
dren were James, John, Alexander, Samuel
and Susan.

(II) Alexander Kerr was born in New-
castle, Del. While a farmer by occupation, he
also followed teaming, covering the route to
Baltimore and Pittsburg. He and his brother
James both took part in the war of 181 2, the
latter holding the rank of captain. Alexander
Kerr married Julian Dailey, and husband and
wife passed away at the ages of seventy-six and
eighty-six, respectively. They were buried in
Prospect Hill cemetery at York. Their chil-
dren were Martin, Susan, Mary, Maria, Ma-
tilda, Jane and James.

(III) Martin Kerr was born in October,
1837, on the homestead in Hopewell township,
and received as good education as the com-
mon schools then afforded. At Mount Zion,
York county, he learned the shoemaker's trade,
and was occupied at that for twenty years. He
then went to farming, at the same time doing
harness-making, and was also at one period em-
ployed by the Western Maryland Railroad. In
1893 he bought his present home, a place of
twelve acres in Codorus township. During
the Civil war Martin Kerr enlisted, serving
first in Company B, i66th P. V. I., for ten
months. He was wounded along Black Water
Creek, near the Wei don Railroad, Va., by a
ball which passed through the ankle, cutting
off one of the tendons, and was taken to the
hospital May 14, 1863. He also received an-
other wound, in the left side, but that was not
a serious one. For the last four months of the
war Mr. Kerr was again with the troops, hav-
ing re-enlisted in Company C, loist P. V. I.
He married Mary Ellen Smith, who was born
in Newberry township, York county, daughter
of Jesse and Leah (Ziegler) Smith. _ The
children born to this union were : Lewis S. ;
Sarah, Mrs. Adam Kerchner, of North Co-
dorus township; George, who married Miss
Laura Baily, and lives at New Freedom;
Charles, at home, unmarried, who does thresh-
ing through the county; Julian, the wife of
Levi Rennoll, of Codorus township ; Ella, Mrs.
Elmer Gladfelter, of Baltimore, Md. ; and
Annie, at home.



BIOGRAPHICAL



993



(I\'J Lewis S. Kerr was brought up by his
great-aunt, and attended the schools of Co-
dorus township till he was twenty-one years
old. Then for three years he dealt in thorough-
bred horses, but after that turned his attention
to farming. He owns a farm of thirty-five
acres on the York road near Brodbecks, and
gave his whole time to operating it until Xov.
I, 1902, when he took his present position of
Rural Free Delivery carrier from Brodbecks
postoffice. At the meeting of the State Car-
riers' Association at Newcastle, Pa., he was
elected sergeant-at-arms for that body. In
politics he is a Republican, and in 1900 he took
the census for Codorus township.

j\Ir. Kerr married, in 1893, Aliss Alice Jane
Krebs, daughter of Lewis F. and Leah ( Cas-
io w) Krebs, and by her he has had two chil-
dren, Jesse and Ina. In religion ^h. Kerr
belongs to the Stone Church (Reformed), and
fraternally he is a member of Council No. 154,
Jr. O. U. A. j\I., of Glen Rock. He has always
been of a studious temperament, fond of good
books, and he is bringing up his children to
share in this taste. Air. Kerr is a valuable
type of citizen, and he and his wife are highly
esteemed in the community.

OLIVER ALLEN HESS is one of the
representative young business men of York
township, being engaged in the manufacture of
cigars in the little village of Rye, where he
has a pleasant home. He is a member of one
of the honored old families of York county,
and full record concerning his parents and the
ancestral histor}" may be found in the sketch
of the life of his father, Jeremiah D. Hess,
appearing elsewhere, so that a recapitulation
of the data is not demanded in the article at
hand.

Oliver Allen Hess was born on the home-
stead farm, in York township, York county,
Jan. 26, 1878, and his boyhood days were not
marked by any extraordinary experiences. He
began to aid in the work of the farm as soon as
age and physical prowess justified, and his edu-
cational advantages were those afforded in the
excellent public schools of his native township,
where he continued his studies until he had at-
tained the age of eighteen years. As is well-
known, the tobacco industry- is one of no slight
importance in York county, where an excellent
grade is grown in large quantities, and the
county has incidentally come to the front com-
' 63



mercially through the wide scope of enterprise
here carried on in the manufacturing of cigars.
The subject of this sketch found it expedient
to identify himself with this important line
of industry, and he thus served an apprentice-
ship at the trade of cigarmaking, becoming ani
expert workman, while he continued also to
assist in the work and management of the home
farm until the time of his marriage, in 1902.
Shortly after this noteworthy event in his
career Air. Hess established a home in his na-
tive township, and engaged in the manufacture
of cigars, turning out a high-grade product
and selling the same principally to G. A. Kohle
and Peter H. Grove, who placed the cigars ort
the retail market. In the spring of 1904 Air,
Hess purchased a fine residence in the village
of Rye, where he has since made his home and
where he continues in the same line of business,
in which he is meeting with marked and well
merited success. He and his wife are most
popular in the social circles of the community-
and their home is a center of genial hospitality.
In politics Mr. Hess is a stanch supporter of
the principles and policies of the Republican
party, and both he and his wife are enrolled on
the membership list of the Lutheran Church at
Paradise.

On Feb. 26, 1902, Air. Hess was united in
marriage to Aliss Agnes Reachard, who w-as
bom and reared in York county, being a
daughter of Joseph and Jane (^Hannigan)
Reachard, well known residents of East Hope-
well township. Air. Reachard being a retired
farmer. Air. and Airs. Hess have two children,
Owen Jeremiah and Anna Rebecca Jane.

HORACE F. GREENA^^'ALT, chief
clerk for the York County Traction Co., was
born Alay 11, 1876, in York, son of Henry
C. and Eleanor C. (Fishel) Greenawalt.

Abraham Greenawalt, grandfather of Hor-
ace F., was a well-known butcher of York
count}^

Henry C. Greenawalt died suddenlj- in
June, 1904, from a stroke of apoplexy, aged
fifty-nine years. He kept a popular meat mar-
ket at the corner of Duke and Princess streets,
in York. Air. Greenawalt"s wife was Eleanor
Catherine Fishel, daughter of Charles Fishel,
at one time a farmer of York county, who prior
to his death, led a retired life for a number of
years in York. The children born to Henry
C. and Eleanor Greenawalt were as follows:



•994



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Juliet E., residing at home; Charles A., who
is connected with the York National Bank;
and Horace F.

Horace F. Greenawalt, after graduating
from the York Collegiate Institute, and. taking
a course at Patrick's Business College in book-
keeping- and stenography, secured employment
in 1895 in the office of the York Card & Paper
Co. From there he went to the York Hat
Company, where he remained for one and one-
half years, and then spent seven years as a
clerk with the American Caramel Company,
"where he was stenographer and office assist-
ant. In 1901 Mr. Greenawalt became con-
nected with the York Traction Company, as
bookkeeper and chief clerk, a position which he
still retains.

Mr. Greenawalt married Minnie Dietz,
'daughter of Edmund Dietz, who for thirty
years was justice of the peace in Spring Garden
township, to which office he was elected by the
Democrats, but such was his popularity in the
township, that many Republicans gave him
their votes as well.

One child has been born to Mr. Greena-
walt and his wife, Eleanor Catherine, who is
now attending school. Mr. Greenawalt belongs
to the First Moravian Church, in which he is
assistant superintendent of the Sunday-school,
and is the basso of a quartette in the Moravian
choir. In politics he is an ardent Republican,
but has always refused public office. He is a
man of honesty and integrity, and is regarded
with the greatest measure of respect and
esteem.

BYRD W. HIVELY, who is successfully
conducting a grocery at No. 126 South Beaver
street, York, succeeded to the business in
which he is now engaged in the fall of 1899.
The former owner was Mr. C. A. Yost.

B. W. Hively was born March 19, 1869,
in ilanchester township, York county, one of
the two sons of George and Lydia A. (Strick-
. ler) Hively, both of whom are deceased. After
the death of his parents he knew very little
of luxury. He had to deal with the real prob-
lems of life. He had received a thorough
district school education, and having deter-
mined to give himself a college education, he
paid his expenses through the York County
Academy, by any sort of honorable work his
hands could find to do, and later, by the same
methods, went through the Williamsport Sem-



mary, from which he was graduated in 1S96
with the degree of B. S. Mr. Hively then
went to Brooklyn, N. Y., and took a course in
Spanish under Professor Cartine. In 1899 he
entered his present business, in which he has
since been very profitably engaged. The in-
domitable will and energy inherited from his
German ancestors have served him in good
stead, and he is steadily ascending the ladder
of success.

Mr. Hively married, Nov. i, 1904, Miss
Lulu G. Bosley, daughter of Samuel and Har-
riet Bosley, and they reside at No. 268 West
Jackson street. Mr. and Mrs. Hively are mem-
bers of the Duke Street M. E. Church, and
he is a member of the official board and also
teaches in the Sunday-school. He is a mem-
ber of the Merchants' Association of York;
of the Knights of the Golden Eagle, Aerie
No. 414; the A. O. K. of M. C, Star Castle,
P. C. ; is a past officer of the A. I. O. K. of
M., No. 174, and of York Lodge, No. 47 I



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 189 of 201)