Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 19 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 19 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


He was married Feb. 28, i860, to Miss Aman-
da E. Gottwalt. Prior to his marriage he had
worked for a time in the Farquhar shop in
York, and after marriage he built a home on
Chestnut street, and moved to York. He later
went to work in the car shops, and from there
to Lafean's candy factory, where he continued
until his death. Mr. Williams Avas buried at
Prospect Hill cemetery. He was a member
of the Zion Lutheran Church. Politically a
Republican, he took a great degree of interest
in public affairs. His fraternal connections
were with the Red Men. To him and his
wife were born: Harry L., born Dec. 24,
i860, married Esther Steese, and is a proof
reader in the Brooklyn Times office: and
Charles H., born Nov. 30, 1865, married Mary
Shaffer, and they reside on East King street.

Mrs. Williams was born April 24, 1839,
on Beaver street, York, and in her youth at-
tended the town schools. Mrs. Williams
joined Christ Lutheran Church in early girl-
hood, and was a teacher in the Sabbath schools
for many years. After marriage she attended
Zion Lutheran Church, but since her hus-
band's death has returned to Christ Church.
Her father, George Gottwalt. was horn near
York, where he attended school. He was a
hatter by trade, havingf learned that business
with Peter Ahl. He later carried on brick
making, and at this he continued until his
death in 1870, aged sixty-one years. He was
a member of Christ Lutheran Church. Po-



litically he was a Republican. iNIrs. Williams'
mother Mary Ann Huchman, was born m
York, Nov. 30, 181 1, and died Dec. 25, 1893.
She was connrmed in Christ Lutheran Churcn.
She was the youngest chdd of Frederick Huch-
man, a teacher of the parochial school and or-
ganist in Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church.
tie was born ni Hanover Germany, I^eij. 13,
1766, and confirmed in the church in 1782,
coming to the United States in 1791. He was
married Sept. 28, 1794, to Mary jMagdalene
Gerst, of Winchester, \'a., ana he and his
wife moved to Hagerstown, Md. When the
Rev. Dr. Schmucker in 1809, removed from
Hagerstown to York to become pastor of
Christ Lutheran Church, he persuaded ^Ir.
Huchman to accompany him and take charge
of the parochial school, and to be organist ui
the church. Mr. Huchman has a memorial
window in the new Christ Lutheran Church.

ANDREW MILLER, a retired citizen of
York, for a number of years carried on agri-
cultural operations and milling in Windsor
township, in wdiich township he was born Dec.
18, 1825, son of Michael Miller.

Michael Miller, Sr., the grandfather of
Andrew% was born in W^indsor township and
was a large landowner and prosperous farmer.
He married Miss Susan Lantz. who was also
born in Windsor township, and both died in
that township, being buried at Freysville Union
Reformed Church. The children born to ]Mr.
and Mrs. Michael Miller, Sr., were as follows :
Frederick, who married Aliss Susana Panics,
and had a family of twelve children, went to
Ohio, and spent his life in farming: Catherine,
who married Mr. Kemmerly, died at Shrews-
bury, York county; Michael was the father of
our subject; Mrs. Kehler accompanied her
husband ^Vest, where they both died leaving
a family.

Michael ^filler, son of Michael, Sr., was
born in Windsor township, wdiere he followed
farming. He purchased a mill, which he
operated in the township for many years, and
he died at the age of eighty-one years and eight
months. His wife in her majdenhr.od was
Elizabeth Zeller. They are both interred at
FreysA'ille Emanuel Reformed Church in
Windsor township. Their children were :
Jacob, a retired farmer, married Miss ]Mary P.
Anstine, and died in Red Lion : ^[arv. the



96



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANL-



wife of Valentine Gable, lived in Windsor
township ; Susan, who died in Shrewsbury
township, was the wife of Jacob Striewig;
Catherine, who died in Lower Windsor town-
ship, was the wife of Samuel Leberknecht;
Elizabeth, who died in Shrewsbury township,
was the wife of Frederick Austine; Charles, a
retired miller and merchant, living at Dillsburg.
Pa. .married Catherine Kauffman (he still owns
the mill which is operated by his son) ; Michael,
wdio died in York, married Catherine Stine,
who is living on Prospect street, York, Pa ;
Andrew is the subject of this sketch;
David, who died in Windsor township, the first
of eleven children to die, left a widow, Rebecca
(Gohn), who is still living; and Misses Sarah
A. and Rebecca kept house for their father until
his death, after wdiich they moved to York,
Pa., and bought the home on College avenue,
where they now reside, provided with ample
means.

Andrew Miller spent his school days in
the common schools of his district and learned
the milling business with his father. In De-
cember, 1857, he married Elizabeth M. Lutz,
daughter of George W. and Maria (Mann)
Lutz, of Manor township, Lancaster county.

After his marriage Mr. Miller purchased
the mill and mill property, and operated there
until 1893, when he located in York, and has
since lived retired. He is the owner of three
farms in Windsor township, and all are up-to-
date in every respect, consisting in all of 250
acres. The mill property he sold to
Michael 'M.. his son, who is still operating-
it. To Mr. and Mrs. Miller were born these
children: Andrew L., who married Annie
Anstine, is postmaster and merchant at Freys-
ville. York county ; Michael, who married
Catherine Kauffman, is running the old family
mill ; Charles E., who married Miss Sallie
Kauffman, is a well-known and successful
brick manufacturer and stone quarryman of
York : George, who married Ida Seitz, is en-
gaged in the mercantile business at the corner
of Queen and Princess streets, York; J. W.,
whose sketch will be found elsewhere, married
Emma Stoner; and Sallie A. is the wife of
Thomas Wilson, of York. Mrs. Elizabeth M.
(Lutz) Miller died Dec. 27, 1874, aged forty-
three years and eleven months, and Mr. Miller
married (second) on March 7, 1878, Catherine



Meyers, daughter of Henry Meyers, of
Shrewsbury township, York county.

In politics Mr. Miller is a Republican, but
has never sought public office. He has been
connected with the Drovers and Mechanics
National Bank of York, since its organization,
and had been repeatedly urged to serve as a
director, but always refused until 1902, when
he finally accepted the honor and has served
as such ever since. He is connected with the
Reformed Church of Freysville, York Co., Pa.,
to which his wife also belongs, and he has
held the offices of deacon and elder for many
years. Mr. Miller's years of active labor are
over, and he is now surrounded by all that
makes life dear, affectionate friends^ devoted
descendants, . ample means, and a wide circle
of estimable fellow citizens who hold him in
the highest regard.

MATTHEW H. McCALL, president of
the Fn-st National Bank of York, is descended
from the family that gave the historic McCall's
Ferry its name, and he is the third in direct line
to bear the name of Matthew. His grand-
father, Matthew McCall, was an industrious
and upright citizen, much esteemed in his sec-
tion.

Matthew McCall, father of Matthew H.,
was a noted educator in his day. He was a
graduate of Washington and Jefferson College.
Canonsburg, and for one year was a professor
in that institution, later filling a professorship
in Blairsville Academy. His death occurred
m 1848. He married Amanda Manifold (an
aunt of Sheriff Manifold), of Hopewell town-
ship, York county, and three children were
born of this union : Amanda, who died in early
childhood; Sallie A., wife of James W. \\'ai-
lace, a farmer and merchant of Hopewell Cen-
ter, York county ; and Matthew H.

Matthew H. McCall was born in Blairsville
Indiana Co., Pa., Sept. 24, 1843. He received"
his early education in an academy taught by
Prof. James A. Murphy, and in i86o-6i was
a student in the Millersville State Normal
School, in Lancaster county. When he left
school as a student he entered the teacher's pro-
fession, and taught in Hopewell, Fawn and
Lower Chanceford townships. The outbreak
of the Civil war changed his plans, as it did
those of many young men. When less than




cUJ^




BIOGRAPHICAL



97



nineteen years of age he enlisted Aug. 7, 1862,
becoming a private in Company I, i3ath P. V.
I. He participated in the battles of Antietam,
Fredericksburg" and Chancellorsville, and was
honorably discharged at the expiration of his
term of enlistment, nine months. On June 17,
1863, he re-entered the service, becoming first
lieutenant of Company B, 1st Battalion, P. V.
I., and was discharged Oct. 3, 1863. Still filled
with patriotic ardor, Mr. McCall enlisted a
third time, Jan. 27, 1864, in the 187th P. V.
I., and on March i8th following was made
quartermaster of the regiment, being but twen-
ty years of age at this time. Although fre-
quently under fire he escaped without injury,
and was mustered out with his regiment Aug.
8, 1865. He had been offered the captaincy
of his company, but declined, as he preferred
the quartermastership.

After the close of the war Mr. McCall en-
gaged in merchandising at Gatchellville, York
count)^, remaining continuously in business for
thirty-nine years, and only giving it up when
he was made president of the First National
Bank of York, an honor that came to him Feb.
14, 1905, after the death of President Schall.
Mr. McCall had been a director of the bank for
eighteen years, and had made a careful study
of finance, so that the mantle of President
Schall could hardly ha\'e fallen on more capa-
ble or worthy shoulders.

On Jan. 27, 1869, Mr. McCall was married
to Mary Amanda Livingston, daughter of Dr.
Livingston, a prominent practicing- physician of
Chanceford township. One child was bom to
this union, Hugh Livingston, who grew to
manhood and became his father's valuable as-
sistant in the mercantile business, but who died
at the age of twenty-eight, in the prime of
young manhood, leaving a widow but no chil-
dren.

Fraternally Mr. McCall is a member of
York Masonic Lodge, No. 266, having joined
the order in 1874; and for seventeen years he
was commander of Lieut. Frank Torbet Post,
No. 506, G. A. R., of Gatchellville, a post he
took an active part in organizing. He also'
belongs to the Military Order of the Loyal
Legion, an order to which but seven men in the
county belong. Religiously Mr. McCall is a
Presbyterian, being a member of the Presby-
terian Church at Chanceford, where for nine
or ten years he was secretary of the congrega-



tion. In politics he is a Republican, and has
been a delegate at various times to the State
conventions, and has also been a member of the
Republican State Committee. Unostentatious
in manner, genial at all times, but possessed of
a forceful nature that stamps all his acts with
the mark df quiet determination, Mr. McCall
shows himself at all times a capable man in
responsible position.

DAVID F. STAUFFER. The annals of
York county give evidence that the Stauffer
family has long been identified with its his-
tory, and David F. Stauffer is'one of the
county's influential and prominent citizens and
representative business men.. He is concerned
in industrial enterprises of wide scope and im-
portance and the owner of most valuable realty,
and stands high in the regard of the people of
his native county, where he has risen to suc-
cess and prestige on the ladder of his own-
building. In the city of York Mr. Stauffer is
the owner of a large and profitable industrial
enterprise, that is concerned in the manufactur-
ing of crackers and cakes. This business dates-
from 1858, when it was founded by the late
Jacob Weiser, who later sold it to Barney
Sauppy. He continued the undertaking until
1866, when he was succeeded by Casper Loucks.
the latter remaining at the helm until Mr. Stauf-
fer purchased the plant and business, in 1871.
He has rebuilt and remodeled the plant, and it
is now one of the best in equipment and in the
superiority of its products in the State of
Pennsylvania, while a large business is con-
trolled throughout the territory normally trib-
utary to York as a wholesaling and jobbing
center. Mr. Stauffer is also engaged in the
manufacture of brick, under the title of the
York Shale Pressed Brick Company. The
concern has a well appointed, plant and its out-
put is of the most substantial and attractive
order, the brick being of a beautiful cherry red
and made from dry shale, compressed under
very high hydraulic pressure. This establish-
ment also controls a large and profitable busi-
ness, and in its management has felt the vi-
talizing- and progressive impetus given by Mr.
Stauffer, who has shown marked initiative and
executive ability in every enterprise, private or
public, with which he has consented to identify
himself. He is the owner of three large and



98



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY. PENNSYLVANIA



rinely improved farms in York county, his
landed estate comprising 456 acres. The farms
are well stocked and are operated largely un-
der his personal supervision. He is a director
of the York County Agricultural Society, a
member of the directorate of the City Bank
and a valued member of the municipal board
of public works. He is ever ready to lend his
influence and co-operation in the promotion
of all worthy enterprises tending to conserve
the general welfare and the advancement of
the best interests of his home city and county,
and he commands the high regard of those
with whom he has come in contact in either a
business or social relation. He ser^^ed ten
years in the city fire department ; as a member
of the city council for two terms, representing
the Fourth ward; and has been for two years
chairman of the highway department of the
municipal government. In the position last
named he has practical supervision of the im-
portant work of the department, through the
operations of which employment is afforded to
a corps of about two hundred men. Mr. Stauf-
fer and his family are valued members of Trni-
ity Reformed Church.

Reverting to the earlier points in the career
of this worthy and popular citizen, it should
be noted that Mr. Staufi'er is a native of York
county, having been born on a farm in Wind- '
sor township, where he passed his boyhood
days and received the rudiments of his educa-
tion in the district schools, while through per-
sonal' application and well directed reading, to-
gether with his discipline as an active man of
affairs, he has rounded out what may well be
termed a liberal education. Mr. Stauffer is
a son of the late Rev. Frederick and Mary
(Forry) Stauffer, both of whom Avere born
and reared in York county. The father was
a man of noble character, for forty years a min-
ister of the Alennonite Church, in which he at-
tained distinction and high honors, serAang as
a bishop of that denomination for eighteen
years. Both he and his wife died in the year
1894.

Mr. Stauffer remained on the home farm
until 1867, when he located in York township
and identified himself with the milling business,
which received his attention until 1870, when
he purchased the bakery which he has since
so successfully conducted.



On July 30, 1870, was solemnized the mar-
riage of Mr. Stauffer to Miss Lucinda Wayne,
who was born and reared in York county,
daughter of the late Samuel and Susan Wayne.
To Mr. and Mrs. Stauffer ha\e been born ten
children, namely : Calvin, Harry, Nettie,
]\Iazie, Ann, ^^'dliam H., David Preston, Al-
bert E., Frederick and Elsey. Those deceased
are Albert, Elsey and Frederick. Nettie Stauf-
fer is the wife of Curtis ]\Iehring, wholesale
hardware and groceryman; Mazie, wife of
Colvin Craft, cashier of the City Bank ; Calvin,
associated with his father, who married Ab-
ba ^I. Eaton, of York; Harry, superintend-
ent of his father's factory, married to Estella
Dafller, of York; William H., in' his father's
office; David Preston Stauffer, attending
Pierce's Business College in Philadelphia.

J. FRANK S^^IALL, U. D., a prominent
physician of York, won particular renown as
the health officer of that city, a position he held
for more than eight years with distinguished
ability. He was born July 6, 1865, in York,
son of David Etter and ]\Iary Ann (Fulton)
Small, and is a descendant of oneiof the oldest
and most distinguished families in Pennsyl-
vania.

In boyhood Dr. Small received a thorough
literary training in the public schools of York
and the York Collegiate Institute. In 1886
he entered the jNIedical Department of the Uni-
versity of Pennsylvania, at Philadelphia, from
which he was graduated in the class of 1889.
Immediately after graduation he was engaged
for two years in the wholesale drug business
at York, associated with his twin brother, J.
Hamilton Small, who afterward became a
physician and teacher in the Medico Chirurgi-
cal Hospital. Philadelphia. Upon the dissolution
of this partnership Dr. Small made an exten-
sive tour of Europe, during which time he
took a post-graduate course in the London
hospitals, and was interested in other profes-
sional observations on the continent and else-
where.

Returning from his continental trip in
1893, Dr. Small opened an office in York,
where he has risen rapidly in his profession,
enjoying a very, lucrative practice. In 1898
he became a close student along the line of
anti-toxin, which he introduced in York. At



BIOGRAPHICAL



99



present, and for some time past, lie has been
studying preventive medicine, making a special
study ot typhoid fever. He has written several
important papers along this line, which have
been published in the medical journals and
republished in the York and Lancaster papers.
Dr. Small served the city as president of
the board of health in 1894, and was elected
health physician in 1895, being re-elected in
1896, and serving, as previously stated, over
eight years. His skill in general medicine and
surgery is supplemented by a quickness in
reaching conclusions and promptness of action
which ha\-e saved the day on more than one oc-
casion. One instance is particularly note-
worthy. A case of smallpox being discovered
late one evening in the servants' quarters of
one of the leading hotels of York, the top
floor was immediately quarantined, and by two
o'clock in the morning every guest in the
big hotel had been vaccinated. The result was
that not another person in the hotel took the
disease and though there were sporadic cases
through the city the epidemic stage was never
approached. Thousands of dollars were thus
saved the municipality, and the citizens gener-
ally were spared the loss of trade which al-
ways attends such a calamity, to say nothing
of the life and happiness of many. Dr. Small's
heroic action in the emergency, with the board
of health back of him, certainly deserved the
warm commendation it received.

The Doctor is a member of the York Coun-
ty and Pennsylvania State Medical Societies,
and has taken an active interest as a member
in the American ^Medical Association and the
Pan-American Medical Congress. For one
term he presided over the York County Medi-
cal Society, and he has served at various times
on different important committees in the State
and national medical organizations.

Dr. Small has always been a stanch Repub-
lican, and is a charter member and ex-presi-
dent, of the Young Republicans of York. He
has frequently represented the party in cau-
cus, local and State conventions. For a num-
ber of years the Doctor has been prominent in
fraternal circles. He is officially connected
with the Alpha Mu Pi Omega medical fra-
ternity of the University of Pennsylvania, In-
dependent Order of Odd Fellows. Junior Or-
der of American Mechanics, Patriotic Order



Sons of America, Artisans Order of ^Mutual
Protection, and the Royal Arcanum, for which
latter he is medical examiner. He is also one
of the- highest degree Masons in the United
States, having passed through the lodge, chap-
ter, commandery and consistory.

JAMES WTLSOX KILGORE, secretary
and treasurer of the Guardian Trust Company
of York, is well known in the business, frater-
nal and social circles of that city.

Mr. Kilgore comes of a Scotch-Irish fam-
ily long settled in the north of Ireland, whence
the American ancestor came to York county,
Pa., early in the eighteenth century. This pio-
neer was Matthew Kilgore, who located at
first in Delaware, but after a brief stay came to
York county, where he settled. The grand-
father of James W. Kilgore, John, was a farm-
er in Lower Chanceford township, and his son,
Robert N., who was also a farmer, died at
Brogueville, York county, in 1877, aged sixty-
six years. Robert N. Kilgore, father of James
W., married Mary E. Wilson, daughter of
James Wilson, of Harford county, Md., and
three children were born to them as follows:
Maggie M. and Jennie, unmarried ; and James
Wilson, whose name introduces this sketch.

James Wilson Kilgore was born Feb. 22,
1 85 1, at the old homestead near McCall's Ferry
in Lower Chanceford township. His early edu-
cation, received in the public schools, was sup-
plemented by some terms in the Union Acad-
emy, Pleasant Grove Academy and York
County Academy. He began his public life as
a storekeeper in Brogueville, and was a mer-
chant in that place at three different times,
aggregating fourteen years. He then came
to York, where he engaged in the flour and
grain business from 1S99 to 1903. On June
I, 1903, he was elected to his present respon-
sible position as secretary and treasurer of the
Guardian Trust Company, which began busi-
ness at that time, with a capital of $250,000.

On Nov. 23, 1898, Mr. Kilgore married
Susan C. McConkey, daughter of W^illiam INIc-
Conkey. a leading banker of W'rightsville, and
sister of Senator E. K. McConkey. No chil-
dren have been born to this union.

Mr. Kilgore is one of the directors of the
company of which he is secretary and treas-
urer, and he is also a director in the Drovers'



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



& Mechanics" Bank of York, the Mount Rose
surance Company of York, the Mount Rose
Cemetery Association, and the Hollywood
Brick Company, and is vice-president of the
Boren Gulch Mining Company. Fraternally
he is identified with the Masonic Order. He
is a member of the Lafayette Club of York. In
politics, like his brother-in-law. Senator Mc-
Conkey, he is a stanch Republican.

C. H. DEMPWOLF, who is connected
with a number of industrial and financial con-
cerns of the city of York, came to this coun-
try from Germany when a youth. His earliest
years were spent in his native country, where
he was born April 2^, 1850. At the age of
seventeen Mr. Dempwolf accompanied his par-
ents to America and the family settled in York.
The young man began at once to support him-
self and assisted in establishing a new home.
He was so engaged until 1869, when he went to
New York, attended- a business college and then
accepted a position as bookkeeper. For three
years Mr. Dempwolf remained there, employ-
ing his spare time in the study of chemistry
and attending several courses of le¬їctures at
Cooper Institute. He returned to York in
1874, went into business and formed the firm
of C. H. Dempwolf & Co. for the manufac-
ture of fertilizers. Their dealings grew to
such proportions that in 1895 the York Chem-
ical Works was incorporated with a capital of
$100,000, C. H. Dempwolf becoming presi-
dent. The company manufactures twenty
brands of high grade fertilizers, the works
having a capacity of 20,000 tons a year. Demp-
wolf's fertilizers find a ready market through-
out Southern Pennsylvania. The York Chemi-
cal Works is undoubtedly the concern in which
Mr. Dempwolf takes his most vital interest, for
it is practically his own creation, but he is
identified with other important interests
in York, and holds not a few positions of re-
sponsibility. He is president of the Hoover
Wagon Company and the City Building and
Loan Association ; secretary of the York Silk
Manufacturing Company ; treasurer of the
York City Landi Company, as well as of
the Fertilizer Manufacturers' Association
of the United States ; treasurer and direc-
tor of the York County Agricultural Society;
and director of the Security, Title and Tru .t



Company, and of the York Hotel Company.
There are also a number of minor enterprises
with which he is connected. The business
capacity has in Mr. Dempwolf been developed
to an extent that entitles him to be considereil
one of the powers in York's financial circles.

On Oct. 9, 1878, Mr. Denjpwolf was united



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 19 of 201)