Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 190 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 190 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


O. O. F.

CLAY'TON S. REASER, secretary of the
Jacoby Furniture Company, of the city of
York, Pa., was born April 27, 1877, in Wash-
ington township, York Co., Pa., a son of Lewis
Reaser and a grandson of Joseph Reaser.

Joseph Reaser was born in Newberry town-
ship, York county,' and learned the weaving
business. Later he removed to Washington
township, where he followed his trade during
the summers and assisted the farmers during
the winter seasons, in their butchering. He
lived to the age of seventy-five years. He mar-
ried Nancy Miley, who lived to the age of
eighty-one years, and both are buried in the
cemetery at Red Run church, in Washington
township. Their children were: Abraham,
Catherine Gross, George, Katie Baker, David,
Joseph, Pollv Asper, and Lewis and one that
died in infancy.

Lewis Reaser, father of Clayton S., was
born June 3, 1834, in Washington township,
and attended the township schools until four-
teen years of age, when he went to learn the
carpenter's trade, first under Henry Nell and
then with George Kapp. Still later he was as-
sociated with Andrew Bentz. He then engaged
in the contracting business for himself, and for
fifty years he worked as a contractor all
through Adams, Cumberland and York coun-
ties, his work being in great demand, as he was



BIOGRAPHICAL



995



a skilled mechanic. He continued in business
until 1903, when he retired to his farm in
Washington township.

Lewis Reaser married Leah Jane Schultz,
daughter of George Schultz, of Pinetown.
Adams county. She died in July, 1881, and is
buried at Red Run church, in Washington
township. They had two children : Delilah
and Clayton S. The former married John
Shaeffer, who lives on the home farm, and they
have these children : j\Iamie (a student in the
York School of Business), Howard, Gertrude,
Grace and Esther.

Clayton S. Reaser attended district school
in his boyhood, and after completing his ap-
prenticeship to the carpenter's trade he attended
the \Vellsville Normal School, and in 1896 took
a commercial course at the Patrick Business
College. He then engaged in clerking, book-
keeping and assisting in the post office at Big
Alount, York county, for two years. jMr.
Reaser then came to York, where he took a
course in stenography at the York School of
Business. He was then employed by Simon
Fader, of South George street, York, Pa., in the
shoe business, and from there he went to the
Martin Carriage \\"orks, where he ser\'ed in thfe
capacity of clerk in the stock room. In 1899
he entered the emplo}' of Adam Jacoby & Bro.,
furniture manufacturers, as bookkeeper and
correspondent. On July 9, 1903, this business
was incorporated, the company' being now
known as the Jacoby Furniture Company,
whose plant is located at Eberton, West York
borough, and is one of the largest in the State.
At the time of its incorporation Mr. Reaser
became a partner and was elected to the re-
sponsible position of secretary' and office man-
ager of the compan)^ He possesses excellent
business qualifications and is a pleasant, genial
gentleman.

Mr. Reaser married Annie E. Klepper,
daughter of John Klepper, formerly of Adams
county, now of West York, and they have two
children : Catharine and Helen. In politics
]Mr. Reaser is a Republican. Fraternally he
belongs to the Knights of Pythias.

DR. P. CARLTON SUNDAY has been
engaged in the drug business on his own ac-
count in York since 1903, and has a well-es-
tablished patronage both at his store in that city
and in the surrounding counties. He is located
at the comer of ]\Iarket and Hartley streets.



and conducts an up-to-date place in everv re-
spect.

Dr. Sunday was born Jan. 4, 1878, is a na-
tive of York county, and is a son of John C.
and Alice E. Sunday, residents of [Manchester,
this county. Dr. Sunday has passed all his life
here with the exception of necessarv absences
for study elsewhere. He received his early ed-
ucation in the common schools of ^Manchester,
and in the York County Academy. His special
preparation for his life work was gained in the
Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, from which
he was graduated in 1900. Thereafter he was
employed for two years by Dale & Co., whole-
sale druggists of York, and in 1903 embarked
ni business on his own account. Though he
has not been established long he has already
succeeded in acquiring a large trade, which
shows a healthy and steady increase. He also
has several wagons which sell his drugs over
ten counties in Pennsylvania and three in
Maryland, and this branch of his business is
quite extensive. Dr. Sunday was one of the
organizers of the Dr. Thompson Remedy Com-
pany.

The Doctor was married, Jan. i, 1903, to
Miss Ellen Catheryn Rieff. They are members
of St. John's Episcopal Church. "

EDISON B. \MLLIAMSON, one of the
youngest members of the York Countv Bar,
comes of Scotch-Irish ancestry, and he was
born at Oxford, Chester Co., Pa'., ]\Iay 6. 1S82,
son of William T. and Amanda E. "(Harris)
Williamson.

(I) John T. Williamson, grandfather of E.
B., was a prominent farmer of ^Maryland.

(II) William T. Williamson is a letter car-
rier in York. He married Amanda E. Harris,
daughter of John Harris, a farmer of Mary-
land, and they had children as follows : Mel-
vin H., deceased; Charles E., connected with
the Monarch Silk Company; Lillian, wife of
Charles C. Towson, of Hanover, assistant su-
perintendent of the IMetropolitan Life Insur-
ance Co.; Elizabeth, at home; and Edison B.

(III) Edison B. Williamson was educated
in the public schools of York, being graduated
from the high school of that city in the class
of 1900. He then entered the Dickinson Law
School at Carlisle, and was graduated there-
from in 1903, and that same year was admitted
to practice in Cumberland county, as well as in
York county, and in December, 1903, he passed



996



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



successfully the examinations which admitted
him to practice in the Supreme Courts of the
State.

While attending high school, Mr. William-
son was one of the athletes who helped win the
banner in 1900, and was one of four who won
silver cups. He was captain of the football
team of the York high school in 1899, and a
member of the baseball club of Dickinson col-
lege in 1901. Having always taken an active
part in athletics, he is much interested in all
kinds of sports, and is an excellent all round
athlete. His religious affiliations are with the
Methodist Church. In politics he is a Repub-
lican.

HARVEY G. A. OBERDICK, D. D. S.,

is one of York county's native sons, having
been born in the city of York Feb. 26, 1880,
and having here been reared to maturity. His
father, Casper Oberdick, was born and reared
in Germany, where he worked on the farm.
At the age of twenty-six years he bade adieu to
the loved Fatherland and emigrated to Amer-
ica, locating in York county soon after his arri-
val. Here he learned the trade of carpet weav-
ing, at which he has been engaged in business
for a number of years past. He married Miss
Louisa Carls, who was born in Hanover, Ger-
many, and they have seven children, four sons
and three daughters. The parents of the Doc-
tor are devout members of the First U. B.
Church, and the father is a stanch Republican
in his political proclivities. He served three
years as drum major in the German army, and
fought in the war between Germany and Den-
mark.

Dr. Oberdick passed his boyhood days in
York and in due time completed the curriculum
of the public schools, making good use of the
advantages thus afforded him. At the age of
sixteen years he entered the dental office of Dr.
H. E. Bashore, of York, under whose able pre-
ceptorship he gained an excellent practical
knowledge in the details of operative and lab-
oratory dentistry, while to further perfect him-
self in his chosen profession he entered the
dental department of the University of Mary-
land, in the city of Baltimore, where he com-
pleted the prescribed course and was gradu-
ated as a member of the class of 1900, receiv-
ing his well-earned degree of Doctor of Dental
Surgery. He served his professional novitiate
in York, opening an office on Philadelphia
street, whence he later removed to his present



finely appointed quarters at No. 246 West Mar-
ket street, where he is building up a practice of
representative character and one which is con-
stantly expanding in scope, since, observant of
the ethics of his profession, he finds his best
advertising in the reputation gained for the
superiority of his work. Though one of the
youngest representatives of his profession in
the city of York the prestige which he has at-
tained and the success gained in the work of
his exacting vocation might well be envied by
many whose years of practice reach far greater
numbers than do his. He is a mem-
ber of the York County Dental Asso-
ciation, and is held in high esteem in both
professional and social circles. Fraternally he
is identified with the Sandilands Commandery,-
No. 152, Ancient & Illustrious Order Knights
of Malta, while he is also a member of the
alumni association of the University of Mary-
land. He is a consistent member of the First
United Brethren Church, in whose work he
takes an active part, being a popular teacher in
its Sunday-school. His parents are also zeal-
ous workers in the church and are held in high
regard by all who know them.

JOSEPH F. SUTTON, of Lewisberry
borough, York county, was born July 11, 1882,
in Newberry township, same county, son of
Robert and Margaret (Frankeberger) Sutton.

John Sutton, the great-great-grandfather
of Joseph F., was born in 1754, in England,
and came to America, settling in Chester Co.,
Pa. He removed to Pinetown, Fairview town-
ship, some time before 1800, where he followed
farming and died in 1849, ^^ the age of ninety-
four years, nine months and five days, and was
buried at Emanuel Church, Fairview township.
His wife was a Miss Hoffstot, of Germany,
and the children born to them were : Han-
nah, who married John Moore; Peter, a
farmer; John, the great-grandfather of our
subject; Mrs. Barbara Fisher; Mrs. Catherine
Atticks; and Mrs. Sarah Jones.

John Sutton, the great-grandfather, was
born Aug. 12, 1786, in Chester county, where
he learned the weaving trade, following this
for a number of years in Fairview township,
York county, in conjunction with farming, and
died there Aug. 15, 1879. Mr. Sutton was
twice married, first to Catherine Ashenfelter,
and then to Mary Snellberger. Both are. now
deceased. The children born to these unions
were: Barbara, who died young; John L.,



BIOGRAPHICAL



997



Daniel, Washington and Elizabeth (twins),
and Hananiah, the grandfather of our subject.

Hananiah Sutton was born March 8, 1823,
in Fairview township, and learned the black-
smith's trade at Lewisberry borough. He fol-
lowed this line all his life, operating most of
the time at Pinetown, Faii"view township. He
married Elizabeth Knisley, daughter of An-
thony and Susan (Snyder) Knisley, and she
died in 1875, and was buried at Emanuel cem-
etery, Fairview township. The children born
to Hananiah and Elizabeth Sutton were : Rob-
ert, father of our subject; Susannah, who died
in 1880, the wife of L. C. Bushey ; Luther, who
married Isabella Myers, and lives in Fairview
township; and Emma, who died at the age of
four years.

Robert Sutton attended the township
schools until twenty-one years of age, and then
learned the blacksmith trade with his father.
At the age of twenty-six he married Ella Mar-
garet Frankeberger, a daughter of Joseph and
Rebecca (Author) Frankeberger. After mar-
riage he removed to Newberry township, where
he followed farming. In 1878 Mr. Sutton
bought the home which he now occupies, which
consists of ninety-three acres of fine land. Mr.
Sutton spent one year in Lewisberry borough,
but returned to his home in 1904. Mr. Sut-
ton is an energetic, industrious man, and if he
admits a hobby, it is a love of good literature.
To himself and wife the following children
were born : F. B., who married Bertha Hick,
and lives at Boiling Springs, Cumberland coun-
ty; Efhe, who married Harvey Zorger, and
lives in New Cumberland, Cumberland county;
Joseph F. ; Julia, at home. Mr, Robert Sutton
is a Republican, taking an active interest in the
success of his party. He has been called upon
to serve as school director and assessor, both of
which offices he has filled very efficiently. Mr.
Sutton is the proud possessor of a deed from
the Penns, dated 1764, which he prizes highly.

Joseph F. Sutton received his preliminary
education in the public schools, supplementing
this with a course at the Academies at Ross-
town, and Lewisberry, and he began teaching
in 1899, at Pleasant View, Newberry township.
He has taught at Hay-run, Redland and Cedar
Grove, he now being occupied at Nauvoo, Fair-
view township.

In 1901 Mr. Sutton married Tillie A.
Miller, daughter of Lewis B. and Annie G.
(Wood) Miller, and located at Lewisberry,
where he now resides. Two children have been



born to this union, Robert Lewis, born June 28,

1902, and Anna Virginia, born March 20,
1904. In politics Mr. Sutton is a Republican.
Fraternally he is a popular member of the Lew-
isberry branch of the Jr. O. U. A. M. His
religious views connect him with the Methodist
Church, of which he is a valued member and a
teacher of the Sunday-school.

Lewis B. Miller, Mrs. Sutton's father, is a
prosperous farmer of Fairview township. His
wife Anne G. (Wood) Miller, died Oct. 20,

1903, and is buried at St. John's Church in
Fairvifew township. The children born to Mr.
and Mrs. Miller are as follows : Tilhe A., Mrs.
Sutton ; and Levi, Vera and Ora, who reside at
home. Personally, Mr. Sutton is very popular
in Newberry township, and he enjoys the uni-
versal esteem of those with whom he comes in
contact. It is unusual to find anyone of his
years occupying so prominent a position in the
educational field, and his many friends see
many honors in store for him in the future.

CHARLES REIDER is engaged in the
practice of the legal profession in Glen Rock,
where he was born, Feb. 19, 1880, son of Will-
iam and Mary (Herbst) Reider, both of whom
were likewise born in York county, being rep-
resentatives of old and honored families of this
section of the Keystone State.

William Reider was born in Shrewsbury
township and has here passed his entire life^
having for many years followed the black-
smith's trade and also having been identified
with agricultural pursuits and with the Wire
Cloth Company, but being now retired from
active business and maintaining his home in
Glen Rock. He served as a member of the
borough council and for several years was in-
cumbent of the office of school director. Of
the four children of Mr. and Mrs. William
Reider, one died in infancy; the others are:
Albert, Anna L. and Charles.

Charles Reider received his early educational
training in the public schools of his native
town, and then entered York College, at the
county-seat, where he graduated in June, 1896,
in the classical course. He then matriculated in
the Law Department of famous old Johns Hop-
kins University, Baltimore, where he completed
the prescribed course and was graduated as a
member of the class of 1903, having previously
read law under the able preceptorship of Hon.
R. J. Lewis, of York, ex-member of Congress.
In January, 1904, he was duly admitted to the



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Bar of his native county, and in his professional
work is meeting with pronounced success, hav-
ing an office in the cit)^ of York and also in his
home town of Glen Rock.

JOHN DENUES, organist and instructor
in inusic, of York, Pa., was born at Millers-
ville, Lancaster Co., Pa., March i8, 1875. He
is a son of Capt. Charles and Fannie (Haines)
Denues.

During the early part of last century his
grandparents emigrated from Prussia, along
the Rhine, to Shrewsbury, York Co!, Pa.
Here his grandfather followed the occupation
of a practical gunsmith. His grandmother
was the daughter of a prominent organist and
teacher in music in her native country. His
father was born at Shrewsbury in 1823, there
grew to manhood, and followed the occupation
of a teacher. He then studied law, and was
admitted to the Bar at Lancaster in 1845, ^'^'
tering upon the practice in Lancaster, and con-
tinuing his profession for a period of thirty
years. During the Civil war he was chosen
as captain of Company E, 135th Regiment,
Pennsylvania Volunteers. He commanded his
company at the great battle of Chancellorsville,
Va., in May, 1863, and in many minor en-
gagements. After his term had expired Capt.
Denues returned to Lancaster to continue the
practice of law. In 1864 and 1865 he repre-
sented Lancaster in the Lower House of the
State Legislature, of which body he was a con-
spicuous member. Capt. Denues always took
an active interest in the cause of education,
and for many years was a trustee of the State
Normal School at Millersville, in which town
he resided for a long time.

John Denues obtained his education in the
public schools of Lancaster, and at the age of
twelve displayed marked talent for the art of
music. This talent was first developed by his
receiving instruction on the violin from Carl
Thorbahn, a noted teacher of orchestra music
in Lancaster. Later he began the study of
piano music. At the age of sixteen he removed
to York, and secured employment in the fac-
tory of the J. A. Smith Organ Company. Here
he continued his musical instructions under
local teachers, and he soon excelled in the play-
ing of the piano and pipe-organ. In order to
become more proficient in the use of the pipe-
organ he placed himself under the instruction
of Frederick W. Wolf, a noted organist of
Baltimore. His success in the study of pipe-



organ music soon won him promotion, and in
1895 he was elected by the vestry of St. John's
Protestant Episcopal Church of York, Pa.,
choirmaster and organist, with fine opportuni-
ties for advancement. He developed his musi-
cal talent in this position, and not only excelled
in playing the pipe-organ, but in training his
choristers. In 1900' Mr. Denues became a pupil
of Minton Pyne, the eminent organist of St.
Mark's Episcopal Church of Philadelphia,
Pa., continuing his lessons until the latter's
death, in 1905. In 1903 he was chosen instruc-
tor of vocal music in the York high school, and
in 1905 was elected Supervisor of Music of all
the schools in the city. Mr. Denues' talent and
accomplishments have Avon him a high position
in the musical circles of York.

LEE F. ATTICKS, of York, Pa., manager
of the sales department of the York Gas Com-
pany, was born Nov. 4, 1870, on the old At-
ticks homestead in Fairview township, York
county, son of George W. and Lucinda (Fluke)
Atticks.

Mr. Atticks has the distinction of belonging
to one of the oldest families of York county,
and one which has also been one of the most
respected. The records reach as far back as his
great-grandfather, who appears to have been a
man of considerable local prominence. Henry
Atticks, the grandfather, was a farmer, and
with his agricultural pursuits combined the
trade of cabinetmaker, and also followed under-
taking on the old home in Fairview township.

George W. Atticks, the father, is a retired
farmer, living now at New Cumberland, Cum-
berland county. He married Lucinda Fluke,
daughter of David Fluke, a farmer of Ashland
county, Ohio, and the two children of this union
were : Kelsy C, who is a teacher of penman-
ship in a business college in Baltimore ; and
Lee F.

Lee F. Atticks was educated in the district
schools, and was graduated from the State
Normal School at Millersville, Lancaster
county, in the class of 1894. He spent eight
years in school teaching, three years of which
were spent after graduation as principal
of- a grammar school in York. Mr. At-
ticks was connected for five years with
the York Evening Press in the capac-
ities of assistant editor and manager of the
advertising department, meeting with such suc-
cess in this line that a journalistic future may
open up any time if he ever returns to news-



BIOGRAPHICAL



999



paper work. Since April, 1902, he has had
charge of the sales and advertising department
of the York Gas Compan}^, and has proved his
capacity as a first-class business man.

Mr. Atticks was married, June 26, 1895, to
Laura Viola Gardner, daughter of Henry J.
Gardner, a retired farmer, formerly of Ross-
ville, but now of York. Mrs. Atticks is a niece
of D. H. Gardner, who was superintendent of
the schools of York county for four terms — ■
twelve years. Mr. and Mrs. Atticks have two
children : Dorothy Louise and Bessie Lee.
Mr. Atticks is a stanch Democrat, a follower
in the footsteps of his father, who served
as one of the commissioners of York county.
The family belongs to the Reformed Church,
and Mr. Atticks is much interested in its work,
and is a teacher in the Sunday-school. He be-
longs to the Knights of Malta.

GUSTAV BROSTROM, the mechanical
engineer of the York Manufacturing Company,
was born in Sweden Aug. 2, 1855, and was
educated in the technical school at Eskilstiina,
from which he was graduated in. 1873. He
came to the United States in 1881. After
spending two years in Chicago Mr. Brostrom
became connected with the Reading (Pa.)
Iron Works, and later with the Philadelphia
& Reading Railroad, remaining with each three
years. Mr. Brostrom's next position was with
the Frick Company, at Waynesboro, Pa., with
which concern he was associated for nine years.
Coming to York in 1898, Mr. Brostrom be-
came mechanical engineer for the York Manu-
facturing Company.

Gustav Brostrom was married in October,
1881, to Miss Emma Erickson. Four children
have been born to this union, as follows : Eva,
of the York high school, class of 1905; and
Elizabeth, Esther and Franklin, bright, intelli-
gent children, all of whom are at home.

In fraternal circles Mr. Brostrom belongs
to the Masons, being a Knight Templar. In
his religious connections he is a member of the
M. E. Church. In politics he is an ardent Re-
publican.

ADAM H. KROUT, assistant foreman in
the factory of Herman Noss & Sons, at York,
Pa., and superintendent of the stair building
department, was born July 26, 1854, in Spring-
field township. York county, son of David and a
grandson of Michael Krout.

The o-reat-grand father of Mr. Krout came



to America from Germany and took up a large
tract of land in Springfield township, York
county, where he engaged in farming until his
death.

Michael Krout was also a farmer there, and
also followed distilling. He married a member
of the Miller family of that neighborhood, and
his wife lived to the age of seventy-five. He
died at the age of eighty-five years, and both
are buried at Shuster's Lutheran Church in
Springfield township.

David Krout, father of our subject, was
born in 1827, in Springfield township. He
learned the cooper's trade and the distilling:
business, and also farmed the home place. He
married Susan Hamm, daughter of Conrad
Hamm. His death occurred in 1891, in North
Codorus township, and he was buried at Zieg-
ler Church. His widow still survives, residing
with her daughter, Mrs. Christian Baylor. The
children of David Krout and wife were : Lu-
cinda, wife of Christian Baylor; Matilda, wife
of William Rambler, of North Codorus town-
ship; Winnifred, who married Lydia Ronald,,
and after her death he married Ella Blocker^
of Illinois; Adam H. ; Adeline, who died un-
married aged twenty-one years; Jesse, who-
married Celestie Deveney, living in North Co-
dorus township; Agnes, who died aged seven-
teen years; Cassie M., wife of Harry Lockman,
of York; and Ellen, wife of Jacob Kessler, of
North Codorus township.

Adam H. Krout attended the district
schools of his native township until he was
fourteen years of age, and then began to assist
his father who had much business on his hands
and needed the help of his son, and he remained
at home until his marriage.' Then he settled
in the borough of Jefferson, where he engaged
in contracting and building, a business he fol-
lowed for seven years. Removing to York, he
located first on King street, but in 1892 he built
his present attractive and comfortable home at
No. 546 West Market street. For the past
eighteen years he has been connected with the
firm of Herman Noss & Sons, where he has
charge of the stair building department, and,
as assistant foreman of the factory, is respon-



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 190 of 201)