Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 193 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 193 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


was admitted to the firm, and has proved to
be a good, practical man of business. In 1897
he was united in marriage with Miss Ida L.
Spangler, the daughter of John Spangler, and
to this union two children have been born :
Paul M. and Margaret Louise. In politics



Mr. Givens is a Republican. He and his es-
timable wife reside in their fine residence at
No. 232 South Pine street, York, where their
many friends are always welcome.

JOHN JOSEPH BOWSER, head book-
keeper for the Edison Electric Light Co., of
York, was born Sept. 29, 1877, ^^ East Ber-
lin, son of Joseph E. and Lydia (Miller)
Bowser.

John J. Bowser is descended from an-
cestors who came from Germany early in the
seventeenth century. There were three broth-
ers, of whom Benjamin, from whom John J.
Bowser was descended, settled at New Free-
dom, York county. Benjamin, the grand-
father of John J., was a farmer of New Free-
dom, where he was born, and where he lived
and died.

Joseph E. Bowser is a retired farmer of
East Berlin, Adams county. His wife was
Lydia Miller, daughter of Andrew Miller, a
German Baptist clergyman, living near Spring
Grove, York county. Ten children were born
to Joseph E. and Lydia Bowser : Rebecca,
whose twin sister died in infancy; Andrew, a
farmer near East Berlin; Moses E., who has
conducted a blacksmith shop for many years at
Spring Grove; Daniel, a fanner of Hampton,
Adams county; Elizabeth, who married W. A.
Walter, a contractor and architect of Wyomis-
sing, Berks county; Katie, who married Wil-
son L. Burgard, a saddler of Manchester, Yoi'k
county; Lillie May, who married Robert
Kauffman, a carpenter of East Berlin; Lydia
A., at home in East Berlin, a graduate of the
high school; and John J.

John Joseph Bowser was educated in the
East Berlin Hig'h school and at Juniata Col-
lege from which he was graduated in 1898.
Before graduating he taught school one year.
After teaching school for one year at New-
Freedom, York county, and for a time at Hol-
linger's school near East Berlin, Mr. Bowser
became bookkeeper for the Martin Carriage
Works of York, this being in the spring of
1899. He remained here three and one-half
years, and in July, 1902, became bookkeeper
for the Edison Electric Light -Co., of York, a
position which he has since retained.

Mr. Bowser was married June 3, 1900, to
Ida Wiley, daughter of Michael Wiley, a
farmer of East Berlin, and two children have
been born to this union : Wiley Michael, who
died in 1901, aged nine months; and Edward



BIOGRAPHICAL



Joseph, born Oct. 19, 1902. Mr. Bowser is a
member and liberal supporter of the German
Baptist Brethren Church of York, of which
he has been treasurer since 1900, and at times
teacher of a Bible class and assistant superin-
tendent and secretary of the Sunday-school.
He is also chairman of the Young People's
Meeting. In politics he votes the Republican
ticket, but has never aspired to otfice. Mr.
Bowser is considered one of the leading busi-
ness men of the younger generation in York,
and is a worthy representative of the old
pioneer family whose name he bears.

ISAAC CLEMENS FINK, of 'York Ha-
ven, Newberry township, York county, was
born in New Holland, Manchester township,
Oct. 22, 1872, son of Eli-L. and Sahna (Clem-
ens) Fink.

John Fink, the grandfather of Isaac C,
was a farmer and large landowner of New-
berry township, where he had two fine farms
of eighty and sixty acres, respectively, also
owning two tracts of woodland in Conewago
township, of forty and twent3'-five acres. Fie
was a very prosperous man, and upright in all
his dealings. He lived to the ripe old age of
eighty-four years, and was buried at Zion's
View, Conewago township. He was twice
married, and by his first wife had children as
follows : Charles, w'ho is deceased ; Henr}-, a
farmer of Newberry township ; Mary, married
to Adam Kohr, a fanner of Manchester town-
ship; and Caroline, who married Henry Gil-
mer, a farmer and coach builder of Lisbon,
Cumberland county. His second wife was
Elizabeth Linn, who died at the age of sev-
enty-nine years, and was buried beside her hus-
band. The following named children were born
to Mr. Fink's second marriage : Leah married
Peter Brunner, who died in 1904, and she re-
sides near Strinestown, Newberry township;
Amanda married Alexander Clemens, and lives
at York Haven; Emma married James Sleets,
night watchman at the York Haven Paper
Mills, and they live at York Haven; Lucy is
living at Pleasant Grove; Eli L. is the father
of our subject.

Eli L. Fink was born in 1842 and received
a common school education. He married
Salina Clemens, daughter of Isaac and Eliza-
beth (Fullerton) Clemens, and after marriage
located on his father's farm, remaining until
about five years after his father's death, when
he removed to Codorus Furnace. There he



staid seven years. He bought property in
York Haven, which he later sold, and built
a fine house. Later he bought a farm in New-
berry township, of sixty-five acres, which he
now has rented, at present residing with his
son Isaac C. in York Haven. In 1903
he engaged in w-ell drilling, which business he
carries on quite extensively. While in New-
berry township Mr. Fink was supervisor. Ishs.
Fink died at York Haven July 16, 1902, and
is buried at Pleasant Grove. Children as fol-
lows were bom to this union : Isaac C. ; Eliza-
beth, who died when two years old; Edward,
who died in infancy; and Howard, who is em-
ployed as an electrician in York.

Isaac C. Fink attended the public schools
of Hayrun, Codorus Furnace and York Ha-
ven until the age of seventeen years, and then
engaged in the York Haven Paper Mill. He
was employed in different departments, run-
ning a machine four years, and his ability and
enterprise, received substantial recognition in
1902, when he was appointed foreman of the
machine room.

On Sept. 16, 1897, j\Ir. Fink married Cath-
erine Sheaffer, of Cumberland, Md., and the
following children have come to them : Mary-
land, born Dec. 4, 1898; Blanche, born Dec.
25, 1899, and Esther, born April 21, 1901.
I\Ir. Fink's niece, Henrietta, also resides with
him. He has a fine residence in York Haven,
W'hich he built shortly after his marriage.

In politics Mr. Fink affiliates with the
Democratic party. He is a member of the
council of York Haven, and is a public-spirited
citizen. He is a man of pleasing personality,
and has a host of friends, being one of the in-
telligent and representative, as well as pro-
gressive, men of his township.

WILLIAM T. HESS, who is engaged
extensively in the manufacture of mattresses,
was born in 1873, ^^ York, son of George W.
Hess.

William Hess, grandfather of William T.,
died when about twenty-eight years old, and
was buried at Prospect Hill cemetery. He had
married Sarah W'elsh, by whom he had these
children: George W., Frank W., and Mary J.

George W. Hess was born in York in 1849,
son of William and Sarah (Hess) Hess. At
the age of eight years, his father having died,
he was forced to go out among strangers to
make his way in the world. He was employed
at the Codorus Paper Mills, but his employers.



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



finding- out the boy's extreme youth, dis-
charged him. He then went to Inglefritz &
White's car shops, and from there as clerk to
P. A. & S. Small, where he remained fourteen
years. In 1881 he engaged in the manufac-
ture of mattresses, in which business he be-
came very successful, and he was the founder
of the Wire Hair & Husk Mattress, of York.
He also -engaged in the furniture business on
North George street, York, and the manufac-
ture of paper boxes, employing on an average
fifty-five hands. In 1905 he sold the furni-
ture business to the York Supply Company,
and is now engaged in business with his son,
William T.

Mr. Hess was united in marriage with
Emma V. Schall, daughter of Thomas B. and
Eliza Schall, and to this union have been born :
William T. ; and George L., of Philadelphia.
In politics Mr. Hess is a Republican, while
fraternally he affiliates with the Knights of
Pythias, of York.

William T. Hess attended the schools of
York until he was eighteen years old, and then
learned the electrical business, which he fol-
lowed five years, becoming skilled in that line
of business, but left it to assist his father in
his furniture business. In 1900 he engaged
in the mattress business, having 5,000 feet of
floor space in his factory, which is still not
enough, the factory having to work nights to
fill orders. His place of business is on Gas
avenue, near West George street, and he man-
ufactures principally for the home trade.

Mr. Hess was married to Dessie Doffler,
a daughter of Clarence and Alice Doffler, of
York, the former of whom is deceased. To
this union one child has been born, Virginia
D. In politics, like his father, Mr. Hess is an
ardent Republican. In religious connection
he is a member of the Lutheran Church, of
York.

WILLIAM C. LAU, a prosperous whole-
sale and retail baker of Glen Rock, was born
April 12, 1868, in Codorus township, son of
Rudolph and Maria (Brenneman) Lau. His
paternal grandfather was Jacob Lau, a stone-
mason and farmer of York county, who had
the following children : John ; Adam ; Daniel ;
Eve, who married George Bentz; Rudolph;
Sarah, who married Levi Amsphire, and Levi.
The maternal grandfather was Christian
Brenneman, a farmer of York county, who
married a Miss Meckley and had the following



children : John ; Christian ; Jacob ; Abraham ;
Amanda, who married John Newman; Sarah,
who married (first) Chester Bailey, and (sec-
ond) Levi Anstine; and Maria, the mother of
William C.

Rudolph Lau, the father, was a stone and
brick mason and worked at his trade thirty-
six years on the Northern Central railroad,
and when, after his eyes failed him he was
unable to work, the railroad pensioned him.
These children were born to him : Nathaniel ;
Sarah Jane, who married Eli Lentz ; Lucy, de-
ceased, married to James A. Shaffer ; William
C. ; and Le,vi. The father and mother of Will-
iam C. Lau were for many years members of
the Evangelical Church, and he was a mem-
ber of the official board.

William C. Lau attended the public schools
of Codorus township, subsequently being a
student at Glen Rock, and at the age of fifteen
began work, carrying water for the railroad
hands. This he continued for about two years,
working in summer and attending school in
winter. He then served one year's apprentice-
ship at the baker's trade. At this time he fell
dangerously ill with the typhoid fever, and
when he had recovered resumed work on the
railroad, at which he remained two years.
He then spent two years at the stone and
brick mason trade with his father, being thus
employed on the railroad for about ten years.
Next he entered the employ of the York Ha-
ven Paper mill, about eleven miles above
York, furnishing the material from which
the paper was manufactured and at the
same time working at his trade. In
these lines he continued for about two years,
locating at Glen Rock in 1894 and buying out
William O. Young's bakery, which had a ca-
pacity of about fifteen hundred loaves of bread
per week. Mr. Lau, on taking possession, en-
larged the bakery, and as his business in-
creased, enlarged the capacity until it is now
8,500 loaves per week. Mr. Lau has three
wagons and eight horses in use, and his bakery
is a fine brick structure, 30 x 70 feet, three
stories in height, and is located on Hanover
street. Glen Rock. His is the largest bakery
business between York and Baltimore, Mr.
Lau usually employing about seven hands. In
1898 he established a bakery at New Free-
dom and continued there for three years, but,
finding that his business in Glen Rock claimed
his entire time, sold out to Joseph Freeland,
wlio now conducts the store at that place.



BIOGRAPHICAL



1013



In politics Mr. Lau is a Democrat and was
judge of elections in 1904. In 1889 he mar-
ried J\Iiss Flora T. Dunkle, daughter of Ben-
jamin and Elizabeth Dunkle of Glen Rock,
and they have had two children, Grace, who
died in infancy, and Benjamin R. Fraternally
Mr. Lau affiliates with the Junior Order of
American Mechanics of Glen Rock, the I. O.
O. F. of Goldsboro, and the Improved Order
of Red Men. He is a devout member of the
Evangelical Church, in which he has been -i
trustee for the last eight years and a teacher
in the Sunday-school. Mr. Lau is a man of
enterprise and public spirit, and has many
warm friends. He is highly respected by his
neighbors for his good citizenship and for the
efforts he has put forth in assisting to build
up and improve the community.

MORGAN E. GIPE, one of the substan-
tial business men of York, Pa., was born in
that city, April 17, 1867, a son of Hollings-
worth and Amanda (Free) Gipe.

Hollingsworth Gipe, a retired musician, be-
gan his musical career in 1861, when he en-
.tered the army as a musician, being stationed
at the York barracks for three years. He
then became an instructor of music, making a
specialty of teaching band music, and the violin
and piano. Mr. Gipe became one of the best
known professors of music in the county, and
is now regarded as an authority in all matters
pertaining to this art. His wife, Amanda
Free, was the daughter of Adam Free, a well
known farmer and highly respected citizen of
Manchester township. Nine children wei'e
born to Mr. and Mrs. H. Gipe: Clara May,
wife of E. T. Moul; Lillie Virginia, wife of
A. S. Keller, who died in 1902; Walter Scott,
who died at the age of three years; Annetta
Bernice, at home; Morgan E. ; Stuart Emer-
son, a musician; Maude Estelle, wife of Au-
gustus Beck; Edna Ardella, married to C.
Harry Kain ; and Blanch Lucille, wife of Louis
S. Morse.

Morgan E. Gipe was educated in the pub-
lic schools of this city and at the age of fifteen
years, in September, 1882, entered the dry-
goods store of J. T. Kopp, then located in. the
McGrath property, Nos. 6 and 8 South George
street. Promotions followed as the business
grew, and in the year 1889 he was admitted to
the partnership of the firm of J. T. Kopp &
Co., taking charge of the then rapidly growing
upholstering department. This partnership



continued until 1895, when Mr. Kopp, its
senior member, withdrew from the business,
and the firm of Strawinski & Gipe was formed
remaining at Nos. 6-8-10-12 South George
street until the year 1904. In April of that
year, after twenty-two years of continuous
activity in the same location, Mr. Gipe with-
drew from the firm of Strawinski & Gipe, and
m the following October opened his present
magnificent establishment at Nos. 34 and ^6
South George street, a few doors from the old
location. The new business comprises a com-
plete stock of wall papers, carpetings and
rugs; hardwood floors and grilles; lace cur-
tains and draperies, and art needle work. The
establishment is well equipped to handle the
extensive business which followed the open-
ing of the new store, which is considered one
of the handsomest establishments in the State,
and reflects great credit on the city of York
and vicinity.

On June 30, 1896, Mr. Gipe married Susan
Irene Strickler, daughter of Alfred D. Strick-
ler, of Hellam township. Two children have
been born to Mr. and Mrs. Gipe — Elizabeth
and Harriet Louisa, both of whom are very
bright little girls. Fraternally Mr. Gipe is
affiliated with the York Lodge, No. 213, B.
P. O. Elks, and Codorus Council, No. 2091,
R. A. Mr. Gipe's religious connections are
with St. John's Episcopal Church. He has
long been active in the Merchants' Associa-
tion — one of the strong factors in the city's
progress and welfare — and on Feb. 12, 1906,
was elected its president for the ensuing year,
an honor that attests well to his high standing
in the business world and to his worth as a
citizen. He has earned the reputation of being
a man of upright methods and honorable deal-
ings, and in private life his character is above
reproach.

EDWARD H. NEIMAN, engaged in the
manufacture of cigars at Thomasville, was
born Sept. 25, 1869, son of William and Susan
(Hake) Neiman, who are both natives of
Pennsylvania.

William Neiman was born in York county
and received his education in the common
schools. While still a young man he engaged
in farming and followed this profession all
of his life, owning a valuable homestead in
Manchester township, which is now the prop-
erty of his son, Eli. William Neiman died in
1891, aged seventy-one years, while his wife



IOI4



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



sun'ived him until 1895, when she passed
away in her se\-enty-second 3'ear. In rehgion
the famity were Lutherans, whil in poHtics
]\Ir. Neiman upheld the principles of the Re-
publican party, and served as school director.
To him and his wife these children were born :
Eli, John, Mary, Sarah, Amanda, Elizabeth,
William, Augxistus, Susan (deceased) and
Edward.

Edward H. Neiman was educated in the
common schools of Manchester township and
remained at home until he was eighteen years
of age, when he entered the employ of Jacob
Becker, who was one of the leading manufac-
turers of cigars in Manchester township. Mr.
Neiman remained with Mr. Becker but a short
time and then himself engaged in the manu-
facture of cigars, in which occupation he has
been engaged to the present time. In 1895 ^^^
removed to Thomasville, where he built a small
factory, which he occupied until 1900 and then
erected his present brick establishment, which
is 28 X 70 feet, three stories and basement.
Mr. Neiman employs on an average forty-five
people in the several departments, and he
makes an excellent class of goods, his trade
being principally in the Western States. He
has an undoubted reputation for honest and
conscientious methods of business. He sup-
plies local dealers with special brands, and his
annual output is now about 2,250,000 cigars.
His trade, as the excellence of his goods is
recognized, is constantly increasing and he
employs two traveling salesmen, his product
also being handled by Western jobbers. Mr.
Neiman is a Republican in politics, but has
always refused to accept office. Fraternally
he is a member of the Knights of Malta, York
Lodge No. 174, of York. Mr. Neiman is
thrifty, industrious and self-reliant — one who
thoroughly understands the cigar manufactur-
ing business. A valued evidence of his pro-
ficiency in this line is a silver medal which he
received from the Louisiana Purchase Exposi-
tion, in 1904, in recognition both of the good
workmanship and the quality of his cigars.
The memento adorns his office walls. Aside
from his thoroughly substantial business qual-
ities, Mr. Neiman is a highly respected and
popular citizen.

CHARLES C. BOLLINGER, who con-
ducts a general merchandise store in the thriv-
ing village of Seitzland, York county, was



born in that place, son of Abtil and Sarah
(King) Bollinger, on March 23, 1871. Eman-
uel K. Bollinger, his paternal grandfather,
married Barbara Klinefelter and they had these
children: Abtil; Stephen; Aaron; Uriah;
Amanda, who married (first) Edward E.
Dixon, and (second) Benjamin Shefifer; and
Jennie, who married T. B. Seitz. Emanuel
Bollinger was for many years engaged in the
manufacture of fertilizers, was one of the pio-
neers of that business in this section, and is
now living retired at Seitzland. The maternal
grandfather of Charles C. Bollinger was
Charles King, a farmer of Shrewsbury town-
ship, who had the following children: George
D. ; Lucinda, who married Amos Krout, and
Sarah, mother of Charles C.

Charles C. Bollinger was reared by his
grandfather, Charles King, his father having
died when he was three years old. He was
educated in the public schools of Shrewsbury
township and at the age of nineteen, having
learned telegraphy, was employed by the
Northern Central Railroad as assistant agent,
continuing as such for about four years. For
the next five years he followed the flour mill-^
ing business, discontinuing this in 1897 to en-
gage in the grocery business. In 1902 Mr.
Bollinger engaged in his present lines, general
merchandise and produce. The business in
which Mr. Bollinger has established himself
is one of the oldest in the county and prior to
his taking possession of the store, had become
somewhat run down, but by strict application
and honest, open handed dealing, Mr. Boll-
inger has expanded the trade, until now he
has one of the best and most lucrative enter-
prises in his section of the State. Weekly he
ships a carload to Baltimore, and jobs produce
to the store trade at Glen Rock.

In his political convictions Mr. Bollinger
is firmly Republican. He was first appointed
postmaster by President McKinley in Decem-
ber, 1901, has been continued in that office
since, and is one of the most trusted officials
in the service. His fellow citizens have also
more than once recognized his worth by elect-
ing him to responsible positions. Ever since
he -has come of age he has been a committee -
man of the Republican party, and in 1900
served as census enumerator. Pie is con-
nected with the Lutheran Church, and is
one of its most liberal supporters. Fraternally
he belongs to Shrewsbury Lodge No. 423, F.



BIOGRAPHICAL



1015



& A. M., the Improved Order of Red ~Men of
Glen Rock and the Junior Order of American
Mechanics.

In 1891 Ivlr. Bollinger married ^linerva
Seitz, daughter of Eli Z. Seitz, and four chil-
dren have been born to them : Guy, Mary May,
Vernon and Raymond R.

WILMER C. THRONE. Prominent
among the representative members of the act-
ive mercantile circles in the thriving city of
York stands the subject of this review, who
is the senior member of the firm of W. C.
Throne & Co., dealers in hardware, paints,
groceries, etc. The inception of the enterprise
dates back to 1882, when the business was
founded by J. F. Rohrbaugh, Jr. W. C.
Throne entered upon his business career in
1886 as a salesman for Mr. Rohrbaugh, and
has been connected with the same to the pres-
ent time. In 1895 the business was transferred
to himself and Eli Deardorff, and they were
together under the firm name of Throne &
Deardorfif, which continued until 1899. when
Mr. Deardorff retired and the firm name was
changed to W. C. Throne & Co., the father of
the subject of this sketch becoming a part-
ner. The building occupied is located at No.
246 West Market street, in the center of the
retail district, and is three stories in height,
with a storeroom of 24 x 100 feet, while the
basement and second floors, with a warehouse
in the rear, are utilized for the accommoda-
tion of the stock of W. C. Throne & Co.

Wilmer C. Throne was bom and reared in
York county, the date of his nativity having
been Feb. 6, 1869. He received his early edu-
cation at the public schools and later attended
the York County Academy. He is the only
son of Amos Green and Amanda M. (Smyser)
Throne, his honored father, who was a son
of Samuel and Harriet (Green) Throne, hav-
ing been born in York county May 16, 1844.
He was one of the county's sterling citizens,
and held many positions of prominence and
trust during life and up to the time of his de-
cease, which occurred Islay 28. 1900. The
mother, a daughter of Daniel and Sarah (Her-
man) Smyser, was born in York county July
26, 1842, and is now residing in York, where
the greater portion of her life has been passed.
She is a devoted member of the Lutheran
Church, as was her husband.

The subject of this review is a stanch Re-
publican in his political allegiance and fra-"



ternally he is afifiliated with Harmonia Lodge,
No. 853, I. O. O. F. ; Sandilands Command-'
ery. No. 152, A. & I. O. K. of M. ; York
Lodge, No. 213. B. P. O. E. ; Codorus Coun-
cil, No. 2091, Royal Arcanum, the Volunteer
Firemen's Relief Association, and the Vigilant
Steam & Chemical Fire Engine Company, No.
I, of which he is treasurer.

Mr. Throne was united in marriage to
Fannie M. Deardorff, a daughter of Oliver and
Sarah Deardorff, prominent residents of York,
Pa., and they have two children, Philip and
Sarah.

LEWIS H. ALWINE, manufacturer of
building brick at Spring Forge, Pa., Spring
Grove P. O., is one of the progressive business
men of that place, and widely and favorably
known. His birth occurred near Abbottstown,
in York county. Pa., Jan. 12, 1874^ and he is
a son of Peter Alwine, who was also born in
York county, in 1830. He, too, was engaged
in the manufacture of brick, although early in
life he was a teacher, and alwaj's a scholar. His



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 193 of 201)