Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 194 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 194 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


wife was Catherine Dahlhamer, who was born
in 1843, iri York county, and is still living,
making her home at Abbottstown. She is the
daughter of William Dahlhamer, who in his
day was a man of substance. After marriage
Mr. and Mrs. Peter Alwine settled near Ab-
bottstown, where Mr. Alwine embarked in the
manufacture of brick, and continued this en-
terprise until a short time prior to his death,
which occurred in 1895. He and his wife had
thirteen children, all of whom reached ma-
turity, twelve being still alive : Emma, wife of
Theodore Altland; Sallie, wife of Charles
Heilman; Ida, vnie of Edward Hoffheins;
Harvey; Samuel; William; Lewis H. ; Ed-
ward ; Percy ; Emory ; Paul and Laura.

Lewis H. Alwine was well educated in the
country schools, finishing his scholastic course
at the age of seventeen, at which time he be-
gan working with his father in the brickyard.
At the age of nineteen, he commenced teach-
ing in the country schools, and thus continued
during the winter months, while in the summer
he still gave his services to his father. During
that period he thoroughly learned the brick
business, so that in 1896, when he and his
brother William formed a partnership, under
the style of Alwine Brothers at Berlin
Junction, where the father had had a branch
"factory for a number of years, he was thor-
oughly competent. Later Mr. Alwine moved



ioi6



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



to Spring Grove, purchased a plant and in-
stalled new machinery to accommodate the
present annual output of 2,000,000 brick. The
brother William is interested in this plant, but
devotes most of his time to the Berlin estab-
lishment. A large local trade has been built
.up, and the remainder of the product is shipped
to York and Baltimore. The brick of this
factory is of a superior quality, and finds a
ready sale. The machinery is of latest pat-
tern, and the kilns are square in construction,
-Taoth coal and wood being used for burning.
The firm controls a very large business, which
shows a steady and healthy increase.

In 1899, Mr. Alwine married Miss Minnie
Spangler, a native of York county, a daughter
■of Jonas' and Jane (Renoll) Spangler. Mr.
and Mrs. Alwine have a beautiful brick resi-
dence, where they dispense a generous and
gracious hospitality. In politics Mr. Alwine
is independent, casting his vote for the man
he believes best fitted for the office. His ef-
forts have met with unqualified success, and
he is justly placed with the solid, substantial
men of Spring Grove. In addition to holding
a large interest in the brick manufactories
mentioned, he is a stockholder in the People's
National Bank of Spring Grove.

GEORGE E. SMITH, who is engaged in
a shoe business in York, was born there in
1876, son of John Smith, and grandson of
George Smith. The grandfather was a native
of Germany, and served in the German army,
our subject now having his discharge from
same, which bears the date of 1831. George
Smith came to America with his wife and fam-
ily and settled in York, where his wife died
shortly afterward. He entered the Union army
in the Civil war,' and was wounded at the bat-
tle of Antietam, dying from his injuries at Al-
exandria, when aged fifty-six years. He was
united in marriage to Mary Agnes Klas, and
their children were : George, who was killed by
Italians at Shenandoah, Pa. ; Mrs. Mary
Mentz; Mrs. Clark, of Baltimore; Mrs.
Schaale, of York; John, the father of George
E. Smith; and Miss Jennie, of Springfield,
Ohio.

John Smith was born in Germany in 1838
and was brought to America by his parents at
the age of four years. He learned the mold-
ing trade, which he still follows in York. He
was married to Annie Miller, a daughter of
-George and Julia (Miller) Miller, and she



died in 1883, being buried at Prospect Hill
cemeterjr. Two children were born to this
union : George E. and John, the latter a tailor
of York.

George E. Smith attended the public
schools of York. His first work was with a
notion house, and he then learned the shoe
business with Edw. Reineberg, in 1904 open-
ing up his fine up-to-date shoe store at No. 640 .
East IMarket street, where he carries on a flour-
ishing business, having in stock the best goods
on the market. He has gained the confidence
of the people of York, where he has the repu-
tation of a man of honesty and fair dealing.

Mr. Smith was married in 1900 to Miss
Jennie Manges, daughter of Rev. Edmund
Manges, of York, and to this union one child
has been born, Richard M. Mr. Smith is a
Republican, is a member of the Knights of
Malta, and is connected with the Lutheran
Church.

SAMUEL H. BARND, merchant at Glen
Rock, is an influential citizen of Shrewsbury
township. He is at present engaged in the
general mercantile business at Glen Rock, and
conducts one of the largest patronized stores of
the vicinity. He was born in Springfield town-
ship, Oct. 21, 1874, and is a son of John and
Mary (Hildebrand) Barnd. The parents of
Mrs. Barnd had the following children : Re-
becca, who married Valentine Anstine ; Jona-
than; Leah; Mary (deceased), and Emanuel
(deceased).

John Barnd, the father of Samuel H., was
the only son of his parents, and a stonemason
by trade. For many years he was in the em-
ploy of the Northern Central Railroad, having
charge of the stone cutting and mason work
done for the company. He is the father of
ten children, six of whom died in infancy.
Those surviving are : William ; Samuel H. ;
Matilda, who married Charles Meyers, and
Rosa, wife of Reuben Neiman.

Samuel H. Barnd attended the public
school of Springfield township, later taking
a course at the York County Academy and
subsequently at Patrick's Business College of
York and the West Chester State Normal
school. During this period he taught school
in the winter, pursuing his own studies in the
summer. After completing his education he
taught three terms at Glen Rock, when he
formed a partnership with F. W. Brown in
the dry goods, grocery and general merchan-



BIOGRAPHICAL



1017



dise business at Glen Rock. In this line he
has since continued, doing a large business and
being counted one of the most successful mer-
chants of the township. Mr. Barnd is connected
with the Junior Order of American Mechanics,
in which he is very popular; also with the
Knights of Pythias.

ROBERT WILLIAM SOUTER is super-
intendent of the Littlestown silk mills at Lit-
tlestown, Pennsylvania.

JOSEPH S. MYERS, of York, Pa., is a
native of this county, born in Springfield town-
ship, Jan. 6, 1854. He received his education
in Goodling & Krout's schools of that town-
ship, and attended one summer session taught
by Dr. Selling, at Chestnut Grove, Lancaster
Co., Pennsylvania.

After leaving school Mr. Myers assisted
his mother at operating the old home farm for
■one yeai", and then went to Chestnut Grove,
Manheim township, Lancaster county, where
he remained about four years farming, re-
turned home for one year, and then managed
a farm for Jacob Aldinger in West Manches-
ter township, along the Gettysburg Pike, for
one year. He purchased a farm in Hopewell
township, but after four years sold out and re-
turned to the home farm for two years, the
next three years being spent onCapt. Shroeder's
farm in Manchester township. He then went
to Paradise and engaged in butchering, jn
which he also engaged in York for nine years.
In 1894 he engaged with the York Street
Railroad Co., and has since been one of that
company's trusted employees. He operated the
first car to the borough of Wrightsville, and
has been motorman on that line ever since.

Mr. Myers was married in 1875 in Lancas-
ter Co., Pa., to Priscilla Mathias, daughter of
John and Henrietta (Repman) Mathias. To
this union has come one daughter, Nancy
Grace, who is the wife of Edward E. Work-
inger, of York, Pa. Mr. and Mrs. Myers re-
side at their fine residence, No. 205 North
Belvidere street, York. In politics Mr. Myers
is a Republican, and has been judge of elec-
tions a number of times. Mrs. Myers is a
member of the German Baptist Church.

The Mathias family, to which Mrs. Myers
belongs, came from Germany, John Mathias,
great-grandfather of Mrs. Myers, emigrating
to this country and becoming an early settler
in York county, Pa. He had eight children:



Peter, Henry, George, John, Jacob, Lena^
Catherine and Elizabeth, all now deceased.

Peter Mathias, son of John the emigrant,
was born in York county in 1800, and was a
miller by trade. His literary education was
limited to that common to the time and place.
He married Henrietta Strine, of York county,
and they had six children : John ; Ellen, born
Jan. 24, 1834, deceased; Charles, born Nov.
24, 1836, deceased; Susan, born Dec. 26,
1837, deceased; Mary, born Feb. 2, 1843, de-
ceased; Sarah, born Dec. 10, 1845, deceased.

John Mathias, father of Mrs. Myers, was
born Dec. 18, 1831, and remained at home with
his parents until the age of eighteen, when, in
1849, the death of his father occurring, he was
obliged to seek work. He had had the usual
advantages of the public schools, and he found
his first work in a sawmill, and afterward for
a number of years was in the mercantile busi-
ness, but he is now living retired at Middle-
town, Dauphin county. In 1862 he enlisted in
Company A, i66th P. V. I., in which he served
nine months. In August, 1864, he became a
member of Company E, 9th Pennsylvania
Cavalry, and served until the close of the war.
He has always taken an active interest in poli-
tics and religion. For many years he was con-
nected with the United Brethren Church, and
gave the lot upon which the first chapel was
built, at what is now known as Royalton, in
1875, and on the same lot in 1893 ^^^ Liberal
Church was built. On Sept. 8, 1849, ^'^^•
Mathias married Henrietta Repman, daughter
of Peter Repman, of York county. Seven
children were born to them : Elmira, born Nov.
29, 1850, married Samuel Harvey, deceased,
and had six children; Cyrus, born Feb. 28,
1852, married Emma Franse, and had seven
children; Morris, born April 5, 1854, married
Clara Sides, has three children, and lives in
Canton, Ohio; Priscilla, born Nov. 7, 1857,
married Joseph S. Myers, and has one child;
Mahala, born Nov. 29, 1859, is deceased;
Minerva, born Jan. 31, 1862, married Kirk
Snyder, of Columbia, Lancaster Co., Pa., and
has four children ; and Sarah Ellen, born Aug.
26, 1864, is the wife of Gammill Grove, of
York county, and has six children.

JOSEPH E. PATTERSON was born
near the borough of Winterstown Nov. 9,
1868. The Patterson family is an old one in
that section, Clinton Patterson, the great-
grandfather of Joseph E., having helped to



ioi8



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



haul material for the old court house that
stood on tlie square. Clinton Patterson had
come to the United States from England with
his brothers, about 1760, and with one of them
settled in Maryland, the remainder of the fam-
ily going further West. Clinton Patterson
took up a section of land in Hopewell town-
ship, near Stewartstown, where he died, leav-
ing his property to his only son, Edie. Al-
though a very rich man when he attained his
father's property, Edie Patterson lost much
money by becoming security for other people;
in one case the dishonesty of one man cost
him the sum of $22,000. He died on his farm
in 1879. His wife, who had been Miss Meads,
bore him these children : Benedict, a surgeon
in the army during the Civil war, died in
action ; Archibald, who died in York, was a
prominent attorney of that city, and, at the
time of his death, was a candidate for the dis-
trict attorneyship ; Hannah is Mrs. Adie Ham-
mers, of Stewartstown ; James G., of Hopewell
township, is a farmer and nurseryman; Sarah
Ann married Andrew Hetrick, of Stewarts-
town ; Adam E. was the father of Joseph E. ;
and William E., who died in York, was a
butcher, a real estate dealer, and, at the time
of his death, a court detective.

Adam E. Patterson was born in Hopewell
township, near Stewartstown, June 5, 1844,
and was reared on the farm of his father.
His father had built the hotel now owned by
il'Iart Saylor, and there Adam Patterson spent
part of his boyhood days. Grandfather Pat-
terson was also a distiller, and his son drove
a team between the hotel and Baltimore. After
his marriage Mr. Patterson resided for a time
on his father's farm, but in 1872 removed to
North Hopewell, where he purchased a farm
and lived until 1889. He then removed ,to
the farm now owned by Joseph E., and spent
seven years on the place, at the end of which
time he went to Stewartstown, where he died,
March 29, 1900. Mr. Patterson was of the
Evangelical faith. In politics he was a lifelong
Democrat, and served in township and boj^-
ough offices for many years, becoming well
known and very highly esteemed. Adam Pat-
terson married Miss Sarah A. Smith, born in
Hopewell township, daughter of Joseph and
Catherine (Dailey) Smith. Mrs. Patterson
still survives, at the age of sixty years. She
is the mother of children as follows : Joseph
E. ; Catherine, Mrs. William Miller, of Red



Lion; Mary J., Mrs. James Zellers, of Stew-
artstown; and Adam E., also of Stewarts-
town.

Joseph E. Patterson attended the public
schools of his native township, his teachers
being Miss Fulton, S. E. Miller, Robert Heath-
cote, John Sitz, Loretta Waltermyer, Annie
Hess, Moses Snyder and Lucy Stormer. At
the age of eighteen years he left school, and
commenced tO' work for his father on the home
farm. He was married in 1894 to Katie J.
Althouse, of Hopewell township, daughter of
the late Jacob and Margaret (Reichard) Alt-
house. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs.
Patterson farmed on the home place, which
Mr. Patterson purchased in 1899. The
farm consists of no acres of good land, all
of which is under cultivation, and supplied
with convenient, modern buildings. Mr. Pat-
terson is a member of the Evangelical Church.
He is a firm Democrat, ardently supporting
the principles of the party, also serving his-
township in a number of the offices. He has a
number of business interests beside that of his-
farm, among them being stock in a railroad
and a canning factory. The children born to-
Mr. and Mrs. Patterson have been : Goldie,
Preston, Palmer, George, Ruth and Ethel.

JOSEPH TYSON HENRY was born at
Bellefonte, Center county, Oct. 5, 1872, son
of Jacob and Rebecca (Tyson) Henry, and is-
now the proprietor of a cigar store at 13 and
15 South George street, York.

Jacob Henry was born in York county,
March 9, 1838, and his father was a miller
by trade. His early life was spent in York,
where he learned the trade of a machinist,
and he made that his regular occupation. He
followed his trade at various points in Penn-
sylvania, Dover, Lewistown, Lockhaven and
Bellefonte, and finally in 1882 returned to
York, after an absence of about twenty-five
years. He was an all-round mechanic and a
master in his line of work. Fraternally he
was active in both the I. O. O. F. and the I.
O. R. M. Mr. Henry married Miss Rebecca
Tyson, also a native of York county, and by
her had three children, namely : Charles T., re-
siding at 803 West Princess street, a ma-
chinist by trade, and foreman for the S.
Morgan Smith Manufacturing Company;.
Robert T., a molder by trade, employed by the-
Variety Iron Works; and Joseph T. Mrs-



BIOGRAPHICAL



1019



Henry is still living, but her husband was laid
to rest- March 27, 1904, when he was aged
sixty-sjx years and eighteen days.

Joseph T. Henry was educated mainly in
the public schools of York, as he was only
nine years old when his father moved thither
from Bellefonte. At seventeen he left school
and entered upon an apprenticeship to the ma-
chinisfb trade with the York Manufacturing:
Company, where he was employed for some
time. Later he was successively engaged in
Milwaukee, Wis., Altoona, Pa., Johnstown,
Pa., Alliance, Ohio, and Philadelphia, follow-
ing his trade in these various localities till
Sept. I, 1903, when he opened his present cigar
store and billiard parlors on South George
street. His establishment is one of the best in
the city, and he carries a full line of cigars and
tobaccos, beside a variety of smokers' sup-
plies. He is full of energy, and has displayed
admirable business qualities which insure him
continued success.

On Aug. 23, 1896, occurred the marriage
of Mr. Henry with Miss Gertrude Callahan,
of Baltimore, a union that has been blessed
with three children, only one of whom, how-
ever, has survived; Charles G. and Nelson Ja-
cob are both deceased; while the youngest,
the only one living, bears his father's name,
Joseph Tyson. Mr. and Mrs. Henry are both
members of the Reformed Church. The
former is an active member of Harmonica
Lodge, No. 853, I. O. O. F. The famjly re-
side at 119 South Newberry street, and are
people held in high esteem.

WILLIAM EDWARD WALTON was
born in York Haven Aug. 24, 1871, son of
Amos and Sarah Ann (Cassel) Walton. The
Walton family is of Scottish descent, and
while the time of their emigration to America
is not accurately known they have lived for
considerably over one hundred years in York
county, where the great-grandfather of Will-
iam E. Walton settled, at York Haven. His
son Elijah removed from that point to Pleas-
ant Grove and was a farmer there till his
death. He and his wife are both buried in the
old Cassel graveyard in Newben-y township.
Their children were : Kilgore, Emma, Mary
and Amos.

Amos Walton was born at York Haven
in 1849. Ii^ early life he was employed b}' the
day in the quarries, at the same time engag-
ing to some extent in tobacco culture. After



his marriage to Sarah Ann Cassel, daugh-
ter of John Cassel, he located in York Haven,
and later opened a boarding-house there, and
subsequently did regular hotel business, fol-
lowing the latter for about five years. Al-
though he died at the comparatively early age
of fifty-three years he had accumulated a large
property, and did much building at York Ha-
ven. His last years were spent in retirement.
He and his wife, who died at the age of forty-
seven, are both interrred in the Cassel family
burying-ground. Their children were as fol-
lows : Sherman F., who is in the restaurant
business at York Haven, and who married
Sarah Baker, now deceased ; William E. ; John
PL, the leading merchant of York Haven, who
maiTied Beckie Miller; Charles C, employed
by the paper company, and married to Carrie
Myers; and Eliza D., who resides in Philadel-
phia, unmarried.

William E. Walton received most of his
education in the Cassel school in Newberry
township, attending one term in York Haven.
He began his business life by securing employ-
ment with the paper company, but after a short
time there, in 1896, he and his brother John
H. engaged in the mercantile business at York
Haven, under the firm name of Walton Bros.
This partnership continued two years, and
then Mr. Walton returned to the paper works
for a short time before going to Middletown,
Ohio, where he was employed for a year in
papermaking. His next venture was to em-
bark in a mercantile enterprise in York, Pa.,
for a year; he disposed of the business and
ran a restaurant and bakery for two and a
half years. After a period spent in the paper
business in Wisconsin he returned, in Novem-
ber, 1902, to York Haven and accepted the
position with the York Haven Paper Com-
pany which he is at present filling — that of
foreman of the machine room, with fifteen men
under him. Mr. Walton is a pushing, ener-
getic worker, and has made himself a valuable
man to his employers.

On March 17, 1897, Mr. Walton was mar-
ried to Gertrude Rebman, daughter of George
H. and Rebecca (Haines) Rebman, of New-
berry township, and one son has been born to
them, Herman Edward, now nearly five years
old. Mr. Walton is a Republican in politics.
He is a member of the A. O. K. of M. C.

MICHAEL S. MORRISON, proprietor
of the York Fruit Company, of York, is one



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



of that city's progressive and enterprising
business men. Mr. Morrison's birth occurred
in Hopewell township, York county, in 1852,
and he is a son of William E. and Eliza
(Beaty) Morrison.

William E. Morrison was a lifelong farmer
in Hopewell township, where he died in 1895.
Both he and his wife were buried in that town-
ship. They had these children : Elizabeth,
Agnes, John A., William B., A. T., Michael
S., Rosa, Ella and Maggie.

Michael S. Morrison attended the com-
mon schools of Hopewell township, and then
assisted his father at farming. In 1877 he lo-
cated in York and was employed with his
brother, John A., in the draying business.
Later they embarked in the fruit and produce
business, trading as John A. Morrison &
Brothers, and this partnership lasted for nine
years. Mr. Morrison then formed a partner-
ship with his brother, A. T., the firm being
known as A. T. & M. S. Morrison, and they
were together two years, our subject engag-
ing in 1899 in business on his own account,
now having one of the finest trades in the
city. His warehouse is situated in the rear of
the First National Bank building, with office
and salesroom at No. 44 East Philadelphia
street, and he has always a large and attract-
ive stock, buying his goods by the car lots.

Mr. Morrison married, in 1881, Sarah Ness,
daughter of Henry and Sarah Ness, and to
this union have been born : Harry, who is a
farmer in Maryland ; and Clara and Bessie, at
home. In politics Mr. Morrison votes the
Democratic ticket. He is a member of Lodge
No. 505, Jr. O. U. A. M., of York. He is
very well known in the business circles of
York, and his standing is that of a solid, sub-
stantial business man.

BARNET G. FICKES, of York, Pa.,
where he is engaged in contracting and build-
ing, was born in Dover township, York coun-
ty, in 1870, son of Isaac and Maria (Knad-
ler) Fickes.

Isaac Fickes was born in Adams Co., Pa.,
and when a young man located in Dover town-
ship, York county. He learned the stone
mason's trade, which he followed in connec-
tion with farming until his death at the age
of sixty-one years. He is buried at Strayer's
Church, Dover township. His widow makes
her home with her son, Barnet G. Mr. and
Mrs. Isaac Fickes had children: Mary Jane,



who died young; Emma, the widow of Noah
Lichty, residing at East Mount, Dover town-
ship ; Amanda, the wife of Michael Bonner,
of Lewisberry borough ; John and Monroe, de-
ceased; Annie, wife of Andrew Strayer, re-
sides at Dihsburg; Isaac, a resident of York;
Henry W., of Wellsville borough; Mary, de-
ceased wife of Abraham Seifert ; and Barnet G.
Barnet G. Fickes attended the townshlip
schools of Dover until the age of eighteen
years, when he learned the carpenter's trade
with John Seifert of Dover borough, with
whom he remained three years. He was then
engaged with William Reiver and Lewis
Reeser, of Warrington township, and located
at York in 1895, residing at the "Motter
House" until his marriage, which occurred Dec.
25, 1897, to Annie M. Dull, daughter of Solo-
mon Dull, of West Manchester township. Mr.
Fickes became proprietor of a business in 1901,
his first work being the erection of six fine
dwellings for Mr. Rupp on King street, since
which time he has built structures all over the
city. He built for S. L. Etter, at No. 129
North George street, and the Jacob Snyder
building, on West Market street, known as the
Automobile building. He resides at No. 718
West Philadelphia street. In politics he is a
Republican, but he has never taken more than
a good citizen's interest in public affairs, giv-
ing his time and attention solely to his business
concerns. He holds membership in York
Aerie, No. 183, Fraternal Order of Eagles.

FRANK H. GROTHE is a representative
young business man of the city of York, where
he conducts a prosperous enterprise as a dealer
in coal and wood. He is a native son of York
county and a member of one of its honored
families of German lineage, having been bom
in the borough of Yoi'k Aug. 17, 1870, son of
Henry W. and Wilhelmina (Heitkamp)
Grothe. The former, born in Germany in 1829,
emigrated thence to America in 185 1. The
latter was born in Germany in 1832. A further
account of the Grothe family appears in the
history of William H. Grothe.

The boy duly availed himself of the ad-
vantages afforded by the public schools and sup-
plemented this discipline most effectively by a
course of study in the York County Academy.
Upon leaving school, in 1886, he entered the



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 194 of 201)