Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 195 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 195 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


employ of J. H. Millander & Co., xnanufacturers
of cigar box lumber in Ceredo, W. Va. In
1892 he established himself as a coal and wood



BIOGRAPHICAL



dealer in York, where he has founded a most
successful business, running four wagons, and
handling both hard and soft coal as well as
wood. He has proved himself a reliable and
progressive business man, and the steady
patronage accorded him is the best testimony
of public confidence and appreciation. For a
period of three years Mr. Grothe was the able
and popular supervisor of the city of York.
In politics he is a stanch Democrat. Both he
and his wife are zealous members of St. John's
German Lutheran Church, in which he served
as deacon for three years, w'hile he has taken
an active injterest in all departments of the
church work.

On Dec. 29, 1892, was solemnized the mar-
riage of Frank H. Grothe and Miss Elizabeth
Horstman, daughter of Henry and Eleanar
Horstman, af Qeveland, Ohio, and of this
union have been born three children, Eleanor,
Emma and Ernest.

MARTIN S. TAYLOR, of Newberry
township, manager of the E. B. Shelley Cigar
Manufacturing Company, the only cigar manu-
facturers in Newberry town, was born there
July 24, 1874, son of William H. and Mary
(Sipe) Taylor.

Jeremiah Taylor, the great-grandfather of
Martin S., was born in England, and coming to
America, settled in York county, Pa. He died
in Warrington township, and was buried at
Princeton. Isaac Taylor, the grandfather, was
born in Franklin township, and married a Miss
Hoopes, and they both died in York county, and
are buried in the home burying ground. Five
children were born to this union : Sarah, Will-
iam H., Isaac, Wesley and Lydia.

William H. Taylor, father of our sub-
ject, was born in Newberry township, where
he received a common school education, and
learned the blacksmith's trade, which he fol-
lowed for about twenty-six years in Newberry-
town and Newberry township. Mr. Taylor
came to live with his son, our subject, in 1900,
and is employed in making cigars. Mr. Taylor
married Mary Sipe. The children born to
William H. and Mary Taylor were : Lillie, who
died at the age of eleven years ; Martin S. ;
Clara, who married L. E. Hartman, and lives
in Newberry township.

Martin S. Taylor attended the township
schools and spent nine years in the West.
From his father he learned the blacksmith's
trade, and followed that line for a few years,



and then engaged in the hotel business for a
short time. He was then secured by the E. B.
Shelley Cigar Manufacturing Company, as
manager. The factory is at the old C. E. Bair
stand, and employs about twenty-five skilled
workmen. Incidentally it is the only cigar
manufacturing company in Newberrytown, and
the company are the makers of the well-known
"Senate" brand.

In October, 1893, Mr. Taylor married Min-
nie J. Free, daughter of Peter and Leah Rip-
man, of York county, and one child, Lillie May,
has been born to them. In politics Mr. Taylor
has been very active in the ranks of the Re-
publican party, and has efificiently discharged
the duties attendant upon the offices of in-
spector and township clerk. Mr. Taylor gives
his business his personal attention and watches
the output, so that the standard is kept up to
the point which first attracted attention and
caused continued growth. He is progressive,
wide-awake and thoroughly modern in his
ideas.

WALN E. LEREW, one of York's enter-
prising and successful business men, a manu-
facturer and jobber of confections located at
No. 35 West Philadelphia street, has been a
resident of the city since 1894. Mr. Lerew was
born Aug. 6, 1871, in Bermudian, Adams Co.,
Pa., and is a son of Jesse and Hannah (Hoops)
Lerew. The father died Nov. 27, 1903, at
the home of his son in York, aged seventy-two
years, seven months and twenty-one days. The
mother still survives, and resides in Adams
county.

The Lerew family is of French extraction,
and by authentic records it is traced back to the
time, when, as Huguenots ceilain of its mem-
bers fled from France and found a retreat in
Holland. The family was established in Amer-
ica by two brothers who settled in Maryland,
one of whom subsequently migrated to Lan-
caster county. Pa. The name, in its original
orthography, was Lareu, and it is spelled in sev-
eral ways at present by different branches, Mr.
Lerew himself preferring the form here
adopted. The two emigrants, George and
Jacob, married in Maryland, and Jacob pre-
sumably settled in Baltimore, and was the
great-grandfather of W. E. Lerew.

Jacob Lerew, son of Jacob, the grandfather
of W. E., came to Adams county and became
there an extensive farmer. He was a man of
religious life and a strict adherent of the



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Dunkard Church. He married a Miss Kimmel,
of German ancestry, who was born near Dihs-
burg, York county.

Jesse Lerew, father of W. E., was a man of
more diversified interests than his father, and
followed various avocations, including farm-
ing, horse dealing, hotel keeping and mer-
chandising. In his early life he devoted the
bulk of his time to the hotel business. He be-
came associated with the Society of Friends
later in life, his wife, Hannah Hoops, being
a life-long member of that religious body.
Hannah (Hoops) Lerew was born near Lewis-
burg, Pa., daughter of Wain and Lydia
( Leach) Hoops, of old Quaker families of
English descent, and of high standing. Eight
children were born to Jesse and Hannah Lerew :
Clayton and Elmer both died in infancy;
Emma is the wife of Luther M. Powers, of
Bermudian, Adams county; Ciutin A., a resi-
dent of York, is a salesman in the employ of
his brother Wain; Clinton T. is proprietor of
the "Hotel Lerew," of York Springs; Wain
E. ; Sarah A. is deceased ; and Mary E. is the
wife of Harry Menges, a merchant on the old
homestead where he operates Mrs. Lerew's
store.

Wain E. Lerew was educated in the public
schools of his native place and remained at
home until he was twenty-two years of age,
assisting his father in the store. Then he came
to York and entered the employ of P. A. & S.
Small as a clerk, with whom he remained one
year and five months. His next business con-
nection was in partnership with William Har-
lacker, under the firm name of Harlacker &
Lerew, in a wholesale confectionery business
which continued until March 22, 1891. After
this business experience of five years duration,
Mr. Lerew deemed himself equipped to embark
independently, and he established the Lerew
Candy Company, which he conducted as such
for nine months, then securing articles of in-
corporation, with a capital stock of $10,000.
The business was conducted thus for one year
and eight months when the company was dis-
solved, Mr. Lerew becoming sole owner and
operator of the business. He has met with
extraordinary success, keeps three men on the
road, and ships his products as far west as
Chicago. His business includes all kinds of
confections, but he makes a specialty of hard
goods and brittles. In the jobbing department
is handled a general line of candies, fruits.



nuts and cakes. Mr. Lerew gives his personal
attention to the business, watching every de-
tail of manufacture so that his goods are al-
ways of the standard quality and never disap-
point. It is a just boast that a customer once
secured is a continuous customer. His success
shows the rewards of industry and energy.

Mr. Lerew was married Dec. 27, 1894, to
Miss Luella M. LaRue, of York, and they have
two interesting children : Helen K. and Ed-
ward N. Their pleasant home is located at No.
345 West King street, York.

Both Mr. and Mrs. Lerew are members of
the German Reformed Church. He belongs in
a fraternal way, to the Sons of Veterans and
the order of Heptasophs. In politics he is a ,
stanch Republican, but has never been an as-
pirant for office.

JOSEPH WILFRID DUKE, the cour-
teous and popular assistant freight agent of the
Northern Central Railway Company in the city
of York, is well entitled to representation in
this historical compilation, the biographical de-
partment of which is intended not only to pay
a due tribute to the memories of those who
have wrought worthily in the past but also to
make mention of the citizens of to-day whose
records are such as render them worthy of
perpetuation as a legacy to the future.

The Duke family is of stanch English an-
cestry, and the original American representa-
tives of the branch to which our subject be-
longs came to this country about the year 18 12,
while the maternal ancestors of Mr. Duke were
of the French-Huguenot stock, having been
driven from France to Belgium at the time
of the French revolution and having finally
found refuge in America. James B. Duke,
grandfather of Joseph W., passed his entire
life in the city of Baltimore, Md., where was
born and reared his son Augustin W., the
honored father of him whose name initiates this
sketch. Augustin W. Duke was for many
years engaged in the drug business in Mary-
land's "Monument City," and was a man of
high integrity and honor, being well known
and highly esteemed in his native city, where
he died June 8, 1904, at the venerable age of
seventy-six years. In early manhood he was
united'in marriage to Miss Josephine V. Rosen-
theel, who was likewise born and reared in
Baltimore, being a daughter of Joseph Rosen-
theel. She passed away Feb. 4, 1896. Of the



BIOGR.\PHICAL



1023



thirteen children in tlie family Joseph W. was
the eldest, while four of the number are liv-
ing at the time of this writing.

Joseph W. Duke was born Oct. 12, 1853, in
the city of Baltimore, }ild., and there received
his early educational training, in the public
schools, while as a youth he began to learn
the drug business in his father's store, where
he remained four years. He then entered the
railway service, in the capacity of manifest
clerk, assiuning this position Sept. 24, 1874,
and thereafter he was transferred or promoted
from one position to another until he finally
reached the car-record office at Baltimore, from
which he was assigned to the position of mani-
fest clerk at the elevators of the Northern Cen-
tral Railway. In August, 1880. he was made
chief clerk in the car-record office, where he
remained until June ist of the following year,
when he was transferred to Philadelphia and
there made foreman of the car-record room of
the Pennsylvania Railroad Company, but on
the 7th of the follo\\'ing month he was trans-
ferred back to the elevators in Baltimore,
where he continued as chief manifest clerk un-
til November, 1888. He was next stationed at
Luther^'ille, Md., on the Baltimore division of
the Northern Central Railway, where he served
as agent until July i, 1890, when he was
transferred to York, Pa., there becoming as-
sistant to J. K. Gross, the freight agent of the
same railroad, in which capacity he has since
continued to serve.

In politics ^Ir. Duke is an uncompromising
advocate of the principles and policies of the
Democratic party, and he served two terms as a
member of the Democratic city committee of
York. He is a communicant of St. Patrick's
Catholic Church, as is also his wife, and is a
member of the church committee of the parish.
In a fraternal way he is identified with the
Royal Arcanum and the Benevolent & Pro-
tective Order of Elks.

On June 18, 1879, was solemnized the mar-
riage of JMr. Duke to IMiss Ida J. Blessing,
daughter of John Blessing, a well-known
tobacco manufacturer of Baltimore. Md.,
where she was reared and educated. To I\Ir.
and ;Mrs. Duke have been born eight children,
of whom three are deceased, ^viable L., 'Slaty
Josephine and [Milton \^^ Elma G. and ]\Iyrtle
B. remain at the parental home, as does also
Raymond A., who is a clerk: while Ethel C.
and Helen L. are students in the parochial



schools of St. Patrick's Church, of which they
are members.

OLIVER C. DECKMAN, proprietor of
the Imperial Livery and Boarding Stable, in
the rear of the "Penn .Hotel," has been a resi-
dent of York since 1889. He is a native of
Newton, Lancaster county, born Aug. 29, 1872,
son of Sampson Deckman.

Sampson Deckman was born and reared
in York county, near Craleysville. In his
earlier life he made teaching his profession,
following that occupation for thirteen or four-
teen years in York and Lancaster counties, but
later he turned his attention to farming and
settled in York township, York Co., Pa. Sir.
Deckman was always keenly interested in poli-
tics and while living in Lower Windsor town-
ship served as tax collector and later as assessor.
His election was due solely to his personal
standing, as the township was strongly Repub-
lican, while he was a Democrat. A man of
domestic tastes, his home life has been a happy
one. He married ]\Iiss Emma Kelly, who was
born in Havre de Grace, Sid., and fourteen
children were born to them : Oliver C, the
eldest ; Matilda, deceased Charles, a butcher in
Warren, Pa. ; Elizabeth, married to Oliver \'an-
isdale. of No. 112 East King street, York: Min-
nie, deceased ; Warren, a core maker by trade,
who is residing at the comer of Franklin and
Jefferson streets, in York; Man,-, residing in
York; and Paul, Grace. Cleveland, Lucy,
Letha, Ethan and Farie. all at home. The par-
ents are members of the Evangelical Church.

вЦ† Oliver C. Deckman was educated in the
public schools and thereafter remained at home
on the farm till after attaining his majority.
He started farming on his own account and
was so engaged for three j-ears, the last year
not only managing his farm but also taking
charge of the Eichelberger stable, at the corner
of Alason and Chern,- avenues, in York. De-
ciding to make the livery business his calling
rather than farming. Mr. Deckman gave his
entire attention to the stable for the next four
years and then, on Sept. 6. 1903. he became the
proprietor of the Imperial Boarding and Liver\-
Stable, which he still conducts. He has handled
many horses since going into the liver}.- busi-
ness and keeps about six of his own. He
boards about fiftv horses, owning the largest
single boarding stable in the city. Mr. Deck-
man also owns a good farm of ninety- acres.



1024



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



situated in York township, which he keeps well
stocked and which is under his personal super-
vision. He is a wide-awake, progressive young
business man, and has already become well
known among York's citizens.

On Oct. 6, 1895, Mr. Deckman was united
in marriage to Miss Mary L. Forry, daughter
of Ulrich S. Forry, formerly of York town-
ship, but now living retired in Lebanon county.
To this union have come three children, Austin
C, Mabel B. and Edna.

J. LEWIS KING, a machinist of York,
belongs to one of the old county families, and
was born in York Nov. 23, 1869, son of John
T. and Mary A. (Motter) King.

Samuel King, his paternal grandfather,
was born in Paradise township, where he passed
his whole life engaged in farming. He died in
1864 and was buried at Pigeon Hill Church,
in the same township. His children were:
John T. ; Henry, who moved to Jackson town-
ship, where he died, and was buried at Holtz-
Schwamm Church; Joseph, who died in Para-
dise township and is buried at Paradise
Church; Daniel, who died in York, and is
buried in the Prospect Hill cemetery; Eliza,
who died in Paradise township, and is buried
at Paradise Church; William, of York;
Thomas T., of York; Margarette, widow of
Abraham Straley, living in Paradise township ;
and Lydia, who died in infancy.

John T. King was educated in the public
schools of his native township, and later
learned the carpenter's trade there, but he
moved to York as a more promising field for a
permanent location. For over thirty years he
was a prominent contractor engaged in erect-
ing houses, at the end of that time turning to
contracts for excavating and being thus em-
ployed for twenty years longer. His death oc-
curred May 10, 1899, and he was buried in
Prospect Hill cemetery. He chose for his wife
Miss Mary A. Motter, their union taking place
April 14, 1853. Mrs. King was the daughter
of Daniel and Nancy Motter, of York county;
she died ten years before her husband, Nov. 30,
1889, and is buried in the same cemetery. The
children born to this couple were as follows :
Charles M., of York; Lucy C, Mrs. William
Younkee, of York; Annie M., living in York;
Mary C, Mrs. Jacob S. Kindig; Sally E.,
Mrs. Charles Lyon; Elmira J., living in York;
George S., who died Oct. 8, 1896, and is
buried in Prospect Hill ; and J. Lewis.



J. Lewis King attended the public schools of
York for nine years, and then spent three years
at Prof. Grenver's school, completing his edu-
cation at the age of seventeen. He then went
into the establishment of Fry & Motter, where
he learned the machinist's trade. His first
regular position was with his present em-
ployers, the S. Morgan Smith Company, for
whom he has worked fifteen years. He has
now reached the responsible position of fore-
man, where he gives entire satisfaction.

On Aug. 29, 1900, occurred Mr. King's
marriage with Miss Elizabeth Myers, who was
born in Carlisle, Cumberland county, March
18, 1870, daughter of Jonas and Catherine
(Hollinger) Myers. Mr. and Mrs. King have
two sons and one daughter : George Motter,
born in York in 1901 ; John Lewis, born there
in 1904; and Mary Ehzabeth, born in 1905.

Mr. King is a man of fine character and
reputation, and has many friends. He is widely
known fraternally, being a member of the S.
M. Smith Company Beneficial Association; a
past councilor of Codorus Council, No. 115,
Jr. O. U. A. M. ; a member of Crystal Lodge,
No. 342, K. of P. ; a past master of Zeredatha
Lodge, No. 451, F. & A. M.; a member of
Howell Chapter, No. 199, R. A. M. ; a past
eminent commander of Gethsemane Com-
mandery. No. 75, Knights Templar; and a
member of the Vigilant S. F. E. Company, No.
I, all of York. His religious connection is
with Trinity Reformed Church.

E. H. KOTTCAMP, who is the proprietor
of an oyster restaurant at York, Pa., and a
manufacturer of and dealer in ice cream, is
a progressive business man. He was born Feb.
12, 1874, in the house in which he now resides,
at No. 228 South Penn street, son of Caspar
H. and Lucy J. (Koonsman) Kottcamp. The
father of Mr. Kottcamp met his death at the
York Manufacturing Company's plant, where
he was employed. The mother is still living
with her son, our subject. They had three
children, namely : E. H. ; Mary J., who is at
home; and George W., a machinist, married to
Rose Shingberger.

E. H. Kottcamp was reared in York, be-
ing educated in the schools of that city. He
was but fourteen years of age when he entered
the employ ojf Alexande't Newman, the! ice
cream manufacturer, with Avhom he remained
about nine years, at the end of which time he
entered the business on his own account. He



BIOGRAPHICAL



1025



has a large wholesale and retail trade in ice
cream, and also carries on a restaurant, in
which are served oysters in season. In the
summer of 1904, his business having increased
to large proportions, Mr. Kottcamp enlarged
and improved his ice cream factory.

Mr. Kottcamp is a member of the Jr. O. U.
A. M., Sandilands Commandery, K. of M.,
the Vigilant Fire Company, No. i, and the
American Relief Association.

On Dec. 11, 1902, Mr. Kottcamp was mar-
ried to Miss Sadie V. Newman, daughter of
Alexander Newman, his former employer. Be-
sides his residence Mr. Kottcamp is the owner
of some good property, consisting of two lots
and two dwellings on West College avenue.

CHARLES A. GIVLER, one of York's
successful merchants, senior member of the
firm of Givler & Sonneman, successor to the
business formerly conducted under the firm
name of Macmullen & Givler, was born in
Washington township, York county, Jan. 18,
1872, son of Theodore F. and Lucinda
(Hoops) Givler^ both of whom reside at No.
233 West York avenue.

Mr. Givler was reared in the vicinity of
Hall post office, and was early introduced to a
mercantile life, as his father kept a store at that
place. He received his education in the public
schools, the York' County Academy and the
Lock Haven Normal school, and at the age of
seventeen years began teaching in Washing-
ton township, at which he continued for two
terms, and then after clerking for a period in
his father's store at Hall postoffice, came to
York and entered the mercantile establishment
of P. Wiest's Sons, where he was employed
for five years and eight months, resigning from
that position to go into business on his own ac-
count.

On Dec. i, 1900, the firm of Macmullen &
Givler was established opening their place of
business at No. 236 Market street, the old
Peter Wiest stand, and introducing a line of
dry goods, notions and ladies' ready made gar-
ments. On Aug. 18, 1902, Mr. Givler bought
out his partner, and on April 15, 1904, he re-
moved the stock to his present place of busi-
ness, at Nos. 105 to 109 South George street,
where he has the advantage of more space, al-
lowing to increase his stock to a considerable
extent. On Jan. i, 1906, in order to meet
growing patronage he found it necessary great-
65



ly to increase his space and capital, and there-
fore formed a partnership with August Son-
neman, Jr., the firm now being known as Giv-
ler & Sonneman. They occupy a floor space
of 10,000 square feet. Mr. Givler's success
may be attributed to the careful personal at-
tention he gives to the business in hand, and
the close study of every detail entered in the
same. Fortune has wrought no miracles for
his exclusive benefit, but he has been quick to
recognize and grasp the opportunities offered
to him as to others. He is conversant with
every branch of the mercantile trade.

Mr. Givler was married April 26, .1900, to
Miss Anna K. Sonneman, daughter of Au-
gust and Catherine (Smith) Sonneman, and
they have one child, Catherine L. Mr. and
Mrs. Givler are members of St. John's German
Lutheran Church, and they reside at No. 105
South George street.

CHARLES E. GELBACH was born Feb.
II, 1872, in Adams county, son of Joseph and
Eliza (Kapensberger) Gelbach.

His paternal grandfather was born in Ger-
many, and came to the United States when a
young man, and followed farming all his life
in Adams county. He had two children : Jo-
seph, the father of Charles E. ; and Elizabeth,
who married Peter Shively.

Joseph Gelbach followed farming in Adams
county, and served one term as director of the
poorhouse there. These children were born to
him : John ; Mary, who married Frank Hart-
man; Jennie, who married William Ogden;
Alice, who married Edward Wickerd; George
W. ; Fannie, who married James Galwell ;
Laura, Avho married E. Swope; Minnie, mar-
ried to Elmer Stover: Clara, who married
Henry Wortz ; Charles E. ; and Grace, who
married Clarence King.

Charles E. Gelbach attended the public
schools at Fairfield, Adams county, and
worked on his father's farm until the age of
nineteen, when he went to Kansas and clerked
in his brother's general merchandise store for
two years, at the end of that time returning
home and again working on the farm for about
one year. In 1893 he located at Glen Rock
and engaged in the butchering business, and
built up a large and profitable trade. His dis-
tributing branch was located at Glen Rock,
but his slaughtering house was in Seitzland,
about one mile from Glen Rock. He did a



1026



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



wholesale and retail business, and during the
winter shipped as high as fifty head of hogs
per week to Baltimore.

Mr. Gelbach is a member of the Junior
Order of American Mechanics, while in re-
ligion he is connected with the Reformed
Church. On Oct. 21, 1896, he was married to
Miss Dora Yost, daughter of Dr. George P.
Yost, of Glen Rock, and one child has been
born to them, Ruth L.

CHARLES F. WATROUS, Jr., is one of
the well-known insurance agents of York, and
he is of Scotch-English descent, his paternal
ancestors coming from England, while those
on the maternal side were natives of Scotland.
Joseph Watrous, grandfather of Charles
F., Jr., lived in Susquehanna county, to which
section he had removed from Connecticut.

Charles F. Watrous, son of Joseph, was a
farmer of Susquehanna county, but is now liv-
ing retired. He married Margaret E. Mc-
Dougal, of Tioga county, and she became the
mother of these children: William, who died
in infancy; William (2), who died in early
childhood; Nina, who died at the age of



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 195 of 201)