Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 196 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 196 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


twenty-eight years, wife of J. C. Harrington,
of Montrose; Joseph, deceased; McDougal,
deceased; Richard A., a traveling salesman of
Montrose; Stuart, a clerk; and Charles F., Jr.
Charles F. Watrous, Jr.,, was born Nov.
ID, 1862, in Montrose, Pa., and was educated
in 'the Montrose High school. He first took
up clerking, which he followed for three years,
and then conducted a boot and shoe store for
five years. Removing to West Pittston, he
there, for five years, did bookkeeping, and then
engaged in the insurance business. Mr. Wat-
rous located in York in 1901, and became dis-
trict agent for York county for the Mutual
Benefit Life Insurance Co., of Newark, N. J.,
which position he has held up to the present
time.

Mr. Watrous was married Sept. 13, 1894,
to Jessie L. Downing, daughter of Bradley
and Jane M. Downing, of West Pittston, and
four children have been born to this union, as
follows: Helen Stuart, aged nine years, at
school; Margaret Gary, aged six years, at
school; Elizabeth, aged three and one-half
years, and Richard Edwin, aged two years.
Mr. Watrous belongs to the First Presbyterian
Church. He is a Republican in political prin-
ciple.



JOHN A. BEAR, a member of the cigar
manufacturing firm of Bear Brothers, and a
prominent and successful business man of
Conewago township, York county, was born
Oct. 15, 1872, son of WiUiam S. and Leah
(Kochenouer) Bear.

The great-grandfather of John A. Bear
was Jacob Bear, who came from Lancaster
county and settled in Manchester township.
Here he followed farming, and was also a
fisherman on the Susquehanna river, a haul of
7,000 shad made by him being the largest ever
made in this locality. Jacob Bear's death oc-
curred in his ninety-seventh year, and
he was buried at Aughenbaugh's school
house, Manchester township. He was twice
married, his first wife being a Shelley
and his second being named Good. Mr.
Bear was the father of the following chil-
dren : Daniel ; Jacob S. ; John ; Reuben, who
lives in Manchester township; Mary, who was
the wife of David Strickler, deceased; and
Barbara, who married Daniel Hykes, living
in Manchester township.

Jacob S. Bear, the grandfather of our sub-
ject, was born in Manchester township, and
was a farmer and distiller of Conewago town-
ship. He was a large landowner, having 600
acres in Conewago township, and owned a
mill at Strinestown now operated by J. F.
Cline, but spent the later years of his life on
the farm. His wife was Elizabeth Stover,
daughter of Henry and Susan Stover. He
died at the age of fifty-seven years, and both
he and his wife were buried at Quickel's cem-
etery, in Conewago township. Mr. Bear was
a colonel of the militia. The children born to
Jacob S. and Elizabeth Bear were: Henry
S., who died in Manchester borough; Jacob
B., who died in 1902; William S., the father
of our subject; Sarah, the wife of Henry Hoff,
of Mt. Wolf; Elizabeth, living in Conewago
township, who became the wife of Adam Nei-
man; Mary Ann, residing in York, widow of
Eli Quickie.

William S. Bear was born Feb. 22, 1834,
and received his education in the common
schools of Conewago township, attending
school until the age of twenty-one years. He
followed farming in Conewago township for
about thirty years, and is now engaged in the
fii-e insurance business, being a stockholder in
the Western Mutual Fire Insurance Company,
with the main office at Holtz, Pa. He has



BIOGRAPHICAL



1027



built a fine home at Zions View, where he now
resides. In politics Mr. Bear is a RepubHcan,
and he has been a school director for eighteen
years, assessor, auditor, tax collector, and a
member of the election board. He is a valued
member of the Lutheran Church, in which he
has held the offices of elder and deacon. In
1858 Mr. Bear married Leah Kochenouer,
daughter of Henry and Catherine (Hoffman)
Kochenouer, and to him and his wife the fol-
lowing children have been born : H. M., who
married Catherine Heilman, and is farming
in Conewago township; Edwin A., married to
Annie Jacoby (he is the business partner of
our subject); John A.; L. Jane, residing at
home; and William, Jacob and Abraham, who
died in infancy.

John A. Bear attended school in Cone-
wago township until nineteen years of age and
then learned cigarmaking at Zions View. He
worked at the bench for seven years, and then,
in 1896, with his brother Edwin A., engaged
in business at Zions View under the firm name
of Bear Brothers. The firm built a fine fac-
tory, 22x42 feet in dimensions, and employs
from twenty to twenty-five hands. Several
special brands are manufactured by this com-
pany, and the output finds ready sale in the
West. Bear Brothers have an agent in Chi-
cago, 111., who handles the trade of that sec-
tion. This is one of the leading firms in its
line in Conewago township, and enjoys the
confidence of the public on account of the ex-
cellence of the product and the honorable
methods employed.

In January, 1893, Mr. Bear married Ellen
Emrich, the estimable daughter of Israel and
.Lucinda (Hoke) Emrich, and after marriage
built a home in Zions View, which is one
of the most modern in the township. Four
children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Bear,
— Charles E., Raymond H., Ralph Eugene and
Mary Irene. In politics Mr. Bear is a stanch
Republican, and he has always taken an active
interest in the success of his party. At pres-
ent he is school director, and has twice served
as township clerk. In religion he is a consist-
ent member of the Lutheran Church, in which
he has been deacon for a year, as well as sec-
retary of the Sunday-school and teacher of a
class. Both as a business man and citizen Mr.
Bear is held in high esteem, and he is consid-
ered one of the substantial, representative men
pf Conewago township,



SAMUEL H. LUDWIG was born on the
old homestead in Ore Valley, Oct. 29, 1877,
son of Charles and Sarah A. (Bradley) Lud-
wig.

The Ludwig family is an old and honored
one in York county, the grandfather of the
present Mr. Ludwig having been Charles Lud-
wig, a farmer and successful business man of
Loganville. The maternal grandfather was
John Bradley, and he is now living retired,
although for many years he was manager of
the Cordelia Ore Bank. Eight children were
born to Mr. and Mrs. Charles Ludwig, Jr. :
John E., a contracting painter of York town-
ship ; Charles P., a teacher in Ore Valley ; Car-
rie E., at home; Mary Isabella; Flora May;
Alice S., at school; Daisy Ellen, at home; and
Samuel H.

The boyhood of Mr. Samuel H. Ludwig
was passed upon the farm, and he attended the
neighborhood schools, but as he evinced such
a love for his studies, his father resolved to
give him better educational advantages. He
consequently sent him to the York County
Academy, and he spent two years at the State
Normal School at Millersville, Lancaster coun-
ty. There he remained until qualified to be-
come a teacher, and for five years he followed
that honorable calling in York county, until
in 1900, he became associated with the York
Tfraction Company,- as assistant bookkeeper
and ticket agent.

On Jan. 13, 1901, Mr. Ludwig was united
in marriage with Annie E. Ness, a daughter of
Edward Ness, a prominent farmer, but she
passed away in 1903, on the second anniver-
sary of her wedding day. Mr. Ludwig is a
member of the Knights of Malta, the A. O. K.
of M. C, and the Royal Arcanum, and is very
popular in these organizations. He resides at
Yoe, York county, where he is a member of
the Salem U. M. Church, and takes a very ac-
tive part in church affairs. In politics he is
a Democrat, although very liberal, believing
that every man has the right to think as his
conscience dictates upon all questions, includ-
ing the two great disputed ones — politics and
religion.

HOWARD N. WOLF. The steady
growth of the city of York and its quiet but
steady prosperity, have attracted thither many
contractors and builders, who find it a promis-
ing field for their efforts. One of the promi-



I028



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



nent men in this class is Howard N. Wolf,
who has been a resident of the city since 1878,
with the exception of a single year spent in
Philadelphia.

Howard N. Wolf Avas born in Adams
county, Pa., Sept. 29, 1855, son of George and
Eleanor (Bittinger) Wolf. He was reared
on a farm and sent to the public schools till he
was nineteen, when he went to Gettysburg to
learn the carpenter's trade, under Mr. Stall-
smith. When his apprenticeship was over he
worked for a while in different places, as Lan-
caster, Shamokin and Philadelphia, and then
in 1878 located in York. He continued to
work at his trade there till' 1882, when he
spent a year in Philadelphia, and then returned
to his former location in York. In 1891 he
determined to enter upon the contracting busi-
ness for himself, and in the years since has
built up a good patronage, employing now
from twenty to twenty-five men. He has con-
fined his operations practically to York, and
among his structures may be enumerated St.
Peter's Lutheran Church in North York, with
its parsonage, a row of buildings put up for
C. Barton, James R. Strawbridge's residence,
a block of twelve houses on West Princess
street, a block on West Lafayette street, front-
ing on Penn Park, and a stable for the Atlan-
tic Refining Company, while he has now some
thirty houses and one stable in the course of
construction. He is one of the leading build-
ers of the city and does most satisfactory work.

On Jan. 2, 1883. occurred the union of
Mr. Wolf and Miss Agnes S. Stump, daughter
of Jesse Stump, of York township. Of their
family six children are living: George Irwin,
a carpenter by trade, who married Miss Alice
Hess, has one daughter, and resides at Ches-
ter Place ; Caroline A. and Emily E., twins ;
Beulah; Luther Bittinger; and Charles Ed-
win. The family are members of St. Luke's
Lutheran Church, in which Mr. Wolf is a
deacon. They are all held in high esteem.

SAMUEL T. PEELING, a prominent
young business man of Conewago township.
York county, was born Dec. 24, 187=;, in York,
son of James Peeling, who died in 1891, and is
buried in Dallastown.

James Peeling was twice married, and to
his second marriage the following children
were born: Lucinda, born Dec. 18, 1864,
married Harry Washers, proprietor of the
York City Laundry; Joshua, born Jan. 15,



1866, lives in Manchester township; Alfretta,
born March 25, 1868, died in 1904; Henry,
born Aug. 16, 1870, died in January, 1871 ;
Ida, born Nov. 18, 1871, married Isaac Bupp,
of York; William F., born June 27, 1874, died
July 5, 1874; Samuel T. was born Dec. 24,
1875; Martha, born Feb. 6, 1879, married a
Mr. Falkenroth, and lives in York; and
Horace K., born Dec. 27, 1882, is in the mer-
cantile business in York.

Samuel T. Peeling received his early edu-
cation in the schools of York City and Cone-
wago township, and also attended York Coun-
ty Academy. He then taught school four
years in Conewago township. After his mar-
riage he located in that township, where he
continues to make his home. In politics he
is connected with the Democratic party, and
in religion he is a member of the Lutheran
Church.

In 1896 Mr. Peeling was united in mar-
riage with Miss Lizzie Ellen Bear, daughter
of Jacob and Mary A. (Shindle) Bear.

PETER FREDERICK REBMAN, a
prosperous and enterprising young business
man of York, engaged in the wholesale butch-
ering business, was born in West Manchester
township, York county, Sept. 26, 1876, son of
Jacob Rebman.

George Rebman, the grandfather of Peter
F., and the founder of the Rebman family in
this country, came from Germany in 1821, and
settled in York. He was a farmer by occupa-
tion. His death occurred in Manchester town-
ship, at the age of eighty-six years, and he
was buried at Strayer's Church, in Dover
township. His wife, whose maiden name was
Houseman, died at the age of seventy-five
years, and was interred beside her husband.
Their children were as follows : George, who
died young; John, who died in Ohio; Chris-
tina, who married Adam P. Leckrone, died in
West Manchester township, and is buried at
Neiman's Church ; Louisa, who lives in Illi-
nois; Gottleib, who died in Boiling Springs,
Cumberland county ; Jacob, the father of Peter
F. ; and Michael, who married Sarah Kemp,
died aged sixty-two years, in York, and is
buried at Stra.yer's Church in Dover borough.

Jacob Rebman was born in Manchester
township, York county, in 1825, and there al-
ways followed farming. He married a Miss
Heindel, who died in 1862, leaving children as
follows: Clara A., Mrs. Gruver; George A.,



BIOGRAPHICAL



1029



M. D., of Wrightsville; Jacob M., who is the
farmer on the old home in Jackson township ;
Charles W., of Kansas, a farmer and sheep
grazer; and Emma J. The first wife of Mr.
Rebman died, and he was married (second)
to Susan Glatfelter, who died in 1895 ^"<i was
buried in Green Mount cemetery, York. The
following named children were born to Mr.
Rebman and his second wife : Amanda, Mrs.
Weyer; Peter F., our subject; Edward E., in
the mercantile business in York; Albert, a
carriage painter of Lancaster; Katie M., Mrs.
Smyser; Ella N., Mrs. Stouffer; John H., a
machinist; Edna; and Paul G, a carver in
wood. Mr. Rebman's death occurred in 1899
and he is buried at Green Mount cemetery.

Peter Frederick Rebman attended the
schools of West Manchester township until
twenty years of age, and remained with his
father, engaged in farming, until 1901, when
he located in York and engaged in the butch-
ering business with John Alexander, with
whom he has continued up to the present time.
The firm is known as John Alexander & Co.,
and their place of business is in the rear of No.
599 West Philadelphia street, York. They
have a flourishing business, and one of the
most up-to-date places of business in York.

In 1897 Mr. Rebman was united in mar-
riage with Mary E. Thompson, a daughter of
A. D. and Annie (Trout) Thompson, and to
this union were born : Alexander, who died
when two months old, and Esther, a bright
little girl of four years. Mr. Rebman resides
at No. 622 West Philadelphia street. He is a
very progressive young man.

JOHN ALLEN HEANY, although
he has been a resident of York but two years,
is well known to the citizens of that city as a
patentee. Born in Philadelphia, Pa., March
15, 1877, he was there educated, and for three
years was professor of mathematics and
physics in the Central high school of Philadel-
phia.

Mr. Heany was connected with the Union
Traction Company, of Philadelphia, as assist-
ant to the master mechanic, and as consulting
expert with several large concerns in Phila-
delphia and New York before locating in
York. He came to this city in 1903, where
he has since been situated, and he has been
very actively engaged in his patent work, hav-
ing taken out over five hundred patents.



• EDWIN S. RESSER, a rising young
man of York, a machinist by trade, has been
a resident of that city for the past ten years.
He was born in East Berlin, Adams county,
May 26, 1871, son of Jacob and Lydia (Wolf)
Resser.

Jacob Resser was a native of the same
place, born Sept. 10, 1820. There were three
other children, all now deceased, namely : Re-
becca and Samuel, who are buried in East
Berlin ; and Andrew, who is buried in Lan-
caster county. Jacob Resser for forty years
followed the trade of a tinner, but is now liv-
ing in retirement in East Berlin. He was
married in 1856 to Miss Lydia Wolf, who
was a native of the same place, born in 1832,
the daughter of William and Elizabeth Wolf.
The children born to Jacob and Lydia Res-
ser were as follows : William, a resident of
East Berlin, married to Miss Annie Picking;
Catherine, at home; Elizabeth, who married
Martin D. Diehl, of York; George M., of East
Berlin, who married Miss Sallie Jacobs; Wal-
ter F., of York, who married Miss Mabel
Cronistan; Harry W., of East Berlin, mar-
ried to Miss Daisy Kuhn ; Edwin S. ; and
Annie M., Mrs. Charles H. Baker, of York.
Jacob Resser, the father, was a veteran of the
Civil war. He responded to Governor Cur-
tin's call, and became a member of Company
K, First Pennsylvania Reserves, and was pro-
moted to quartermaster sergeant, serving in
all three years. He died May 12, 1905.

Edwin S. Resser attended the public
schools of East Berlin till he was eighteen
years old, and then in 1889 went to Reading
to learn the machinist's trade. When his three
years of apprenticeship were over he returned
home for a year, and then spent the following
eight months in Hanover, working at his
trade. In 1895 he moved to York and ac-
cepted a machinist's position with Broomell,
Schmidt & Company which he held for five
years, and since then has been with The York
Manufacturing Company. He is remarkably
capable in his line, and has the entire confi-
dence of his employers.

In 1894 Mr. Resser entered the matrimo-
nial estate, his bride being Miss Clara M.
Spangler, of East Berlin, daughter of An-
drew and Alice (Bupp) Spangler. Two chil-
dren have been born to them. viz. : Harry A.,
born in East Berlin, July 26, 1895 ; and Luther
S., born in York, May 18, 1897.



1030



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



GEORGE A. HAIN, proprietor of the
Diamond Cigar Store from March 22, 1900,
to Aug. I, 1905, was born in York, Pa., July
7, 1874, son of George and Cassandra E.
(Huss) Hain. Both parents are living and
residing at No. 611 Edison street, York.

During the early boyhood of Mr. Hain his
parents lived at Freystown, in Spring Garden
township, and until he was ten years old he
attended school there. At the expiration of
that time the family removed to a farm in
Shrewsbury township, and the boy was sent
to the district schools there for the next seven
years. He attended York County Academy
in the year 1891, under Professors D. H.
Gardiner and S. B. Heiges. After leaving the
Academy, he was employed at the Pennsylva-
nia Agricultural Works for about five years,
and then spent two years in a brokerage busi-
ness in cigars. At the expiration of that
period, Mr. Hain took an eight months course
in Patrick's Business College, as a more com-
plete equipment for an active business career,
and then he opened the above establishment,
March 22, 1900. He was located at No. 11
West Market street, and carried a full line of
choice cigars, tobaccos and smokers' supplies
generally, doing a local jobbing business. In
connection with the cigar store he also con-
ducted a pool and billiard paidor, with the
finest appointments in the city.

Mr. Hain has always taken an unusually
active interest in lodge organizations, and has
become a member of many of those repre-
sented in York. When he was only twenty
he joined York City Castle No. 414, K. of
G. E., and is a past officer of that body. He
was made a member of Capt. E. M. Ruhl
Camp, No. 33, S. of V., Jan. 7, 1899; o^ Sand-
ilands Commandery, No. i:;2, A. O. K. of M.,
Sept. 24, 1897; of Zeredatha Lodge, No. 451,
F. & A. M., Feb. g, 1904; of York Command-
ery, No. 21, K. T., Sept. 21, 1905; of A. A.
O. N. of M. S., Zembo Temple, at Harris-
burg; and of Harrisburg Consistory (32d de-
gree^ Scottish Rite) ; and he is also a member
of York Lodge, No. 213, B. P. O. E., which
he joined Sept. 28, 1904.

ROBERT E. HAMM, of Codorus town-
ship, York county, was born in that township
Dec. 8, 1881, a son of Adam S. and Julia T.
fKrebs) Hamm.

Mr. Hamm's original ancestors came from
the old country in the early part of the settle-



ment of York county. There were three of
the name who came over that settled in York
county, Michael, Peter and John, Germans,
who located in three different localities, one
near Dover, York county, the other near
Seven Valley, York county, and the third near
Jefferson, York county. Peter Hamm, a son
of the one who settled near Jefferson, was the
great-great-grandfather of Robert E. Hamm.

Adam S. Hamm, Sr., grandfather, was a
son of Samuel Hamm, who was a farmer in
North Codorus township, where he died at the
age of sixty years. Adam S. Hamm was born
in North Codorus township, and followed
farming on land located two miles west of
Jefferson, owning three farms, one of no
acres, another of 100, and a small farm of
about twelve acres in the same township. He
was looked upon as one of the township's most
substantial and reliable men. He died at the
age of seventy-four years. He married Bar-
bara Stambaugh, who lived to the age of
seventy-nine years, and their children were :
Saranda, wife of George Fishel; Matilda,
wife of Ephraim Senft ; Samuel S. ; Albert S. ;
Catharina, married to Daniel Wherly; Martin
S. ; Washington S. ; and Adam S.

Adam S. Hamm, father of Robert E.
Hamm, was born in North Codorus township
and was educated in the district schools. He
learned the trade of cooper, but did not fol-
low it long, as he soon became interested in
farming in North Codorus township, removing
in 1894 to his present place in Codorus town-
ship. He bought the old Aaron Heindel farm
of seventy-four acres of land, and has made
many improvements, erecting all the substan-
tial buildings and introducing good stock and
modem machinery.

Adam S. Hamm married Julia T. Krebs,
a daughter of George and Alice Ann (Tuffey)
Krebs, of Codorus township, and they have
one son, Robert E.

In politics Adam S. Hamm is a Democrat,
and he has served as judge of elections and as
school director in Codorus township for three
years, having filled the former office also in
North Codorus township. The fact that this
office is usually delegated to a man of sterling
character in the community speaks well for his
standing in his locality. He is a member
of the Reformed Church and was formerly
one of the deacons.

Robert E. Hamm was educated in the
township schools of North Codorus and Co-



BIOGRAPHICAL



1031



dorus townships and the grammar school of
Jefferson, spent three terms in the York Coun-
ty Normal School, and two terms at Glenville
Academy. Being thus well qualified, he began
teaching in 1898, making his entrance into
the profession at the Krebs school in Codorus
township. After one term he went to York
and entered the employ of his father-in-law,
George F. Saubel, who was then clerk of York
county, and remained there three years as dep-
uty clerk. In 1903 he resumed teaching at
the Sterners school in Codorus township and
is a very popular and successful educator.

Mr. Hamm was married to Anna C. Sau-
bel, a daughter of the former Clerk of the
Courts of York county, George F. Saubel, and
Lavina (Bricker) Saubel, of Codorus town-
ship, and they have one son, Melvin D., born
in 1900. They are members of the Reformed
Church, belonging to the old Stone Church of
Codorus township, and Mr. Hamm is very ac-
tive both in church and Sunday-school work.
Mr. and Mrs. Hamm reside with his father,
Adam S. Hamm, one of the prominent men
of this locality.

J. EDWARD RAMER, proprietor of the
tonsorial parlor at No. 352 West Market
street, York, Pa., was born Dec. 10, 1877, in
York, son of Charles E. Ramer, and is de-
scended from good old York county stock.

Martin Ramer, the grandfather of J. Ed-
ward Ramer, died in York. His children
were : Ida, Emma, Belle, and Charles E.
Charles E. Ramer was born in York, where he
followed moulding, but at the time of his death
was employed at Philadelphia. He married
Mary Amanda Heltzel, Who still survives, liv-
ing at No. 360 West Philadelphia street. The
following children were born to them : Henry
M., who is superintendent of the York Car-
riage Works; Sadie, the wife of William Berk-
heimer, of York; Nettie M., the wife of James
Fredrick, of York; and J. Edward.

J. Edward Ramer attended the public
schools of York until twelve years of age, at
which time he started out in life for himself.
His first employment was in the rag carpet fac-
tory, where he remained until fifteen years of
age. He then started learning the barber bus-
iness, with Howard Bahn, of York, and in
1900 engaged in business on his own account.
He is enterprising and progressive, and his
patronage is increasing daily.

Mr. Ramer was married in 1903 to Mary



S. Frey, daughter of Harry and Catherine
Frey, and one son, Richard, was born to this
union, but died at the age of five months. Mr.
and Mrs. Ramer reside at No. 358 West Phil-
adelphia street. In politics Mr. Ramer is a
Democrat and fraternally he is connected with
the K. of P., the Jr. O. U. A. M., the Masons
(Zeredatha Lodge, No. 451, of York), and
the B. P. O. Elks (York Lodge, No. 213).



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 196 of 201)