Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 199 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 199 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Frank ; Clarence. Rudolph ; Carrie Alice Juan-
ita, living at home; and Oliver L., who mar-
ried Mabel A. Swartz, and is with his brother,
our subject.

B. Frank Grissinger first attended the pub-
lic schools, and then spent three years at the
Millersville State Normal. He learned the
telegraph business at Landisville, Lancaster
Co., Pa., and followed same eight years with
the Pennsylvania Railroad Company, after
which he engaged in the milling business at
Bainbridge, Lancaster county, for one year.
He then located in Chicago and learned the
barber's trade, thence removing to Philadel-
phia, where he was employed with John Will-
iam Fisher, at No. 7124 Tacomy street. In
1900 Mr. Grissinger came to York and en-
gaged in business in a small shop at No. 653
West Market street, but his business grew to
such an extent that in 1904 he built a fine
three-story home at No. 650 West Market
street, where his tonsorial parlors are also lo-
cated. He is a prosperous and energetic young
business man and is respected by a large circle
of acquaintances in York.

Mr. Grissinger married H. Minnie Fisher,
daughter of his former employer, John Will-
iam Fisher, and to this union the following
named children have been born : James Leroy,
B. Frank, Jr., John Raymond and Paul L. In
politics Mr. Grissinger is a Republican.

H. A. BORTNER, manufacturer of
ginger ale, seltzer, root beer and pop of all
flavors, at Glen Rock, Pa., is one of the suc-
cessful business men of this section. He was
born Sept. 26, 1874, in Codorus township,
York county, son of Eli S. and Rebecca (Ab-
myer) Bortner.

George Bortner, the paternal grandfather,
was a farmer in Codorus township and also
engaged extensively in the sawmill business.
He erected all the excellent buildings on his
farm, burning the brick in a large yard estab-
lished on his own property. He married Mary



Snyder, and they both died on the old farm
and are buried at Fiscel's Church. They had
the following children : Eli S. ; George ; Jacob,
deceased ; and Mary, wife of George Wherley,
living in Codorus township.

Eli S. Bortner, father of H. A., was born
in Codorus township and grew up at home,
assisting his father, and also engaged in boiling
sugar cane molasses on his own account for a
period of five years. At his father's death he
took over the old homestead of sixty-four acres
on the Glen Rock road in Codorus township,
and there he still resides. He married Re-
becca, daughter of Jacob Abmyfer, of York
county.

H. A. Bortner attended the township
schools until nineteen years of age, and then
went to learn the carpenter's trade with D. S.
Hoover in his native township, and followed
this occupation for two years. He then was
employed by E. D. Bortner, at Glenville, with
Avhom he learned the bottling business, remain-
ing with him for four years. After operating
an establishment at Glenville for nine months
for a Mr. Katz, he started into business for
himself, April 30, 1900.

Mr. Bortner has fine quarters for his manu-
facturing business on his father's farm at Glen-
Rock, his buildings consisting of a bottling
room 18x18 feet in dimensions, an engine
room 18x12, and a store room and ware-
house 30 X 30, all fitted up with modern
improved machinery of all kinds, with a ca-
pacity of 100 cases daily. In. addition he keeps-
two wagons on the road continually, and dur-
ing the busy season has six engaged. He
utilizes a gasoline engine for motive power.
The excellence of his beverages causes a wide
and increasing demand. His postoffice is at
Glen Rock, on the R. F. D. Route No. i.

Mr. Bortner married Estella, daughter of
George and Mary (Haines) Lucabaugh, of Co-
dorus township, and they have one son, Dewey
Edgar. In politics Mr. Bortner is a Demo-
crat. Both he and wife are members of
Fiscel's Lutheran Church. He is known as a
man of high business principles.

MENGES. .In the Pennsylvania Archives
[2d Series, Vol. XVII] there are five records
of emigrations of persons of the name of
Menges, viz. : ( i ) Conrad and John George
Menges, the first of the name to arrive in this
country, came from Rotterdam in the ship
"Albany," Robert Brown, master; he qualified



BIOGRAPHICAL



1043



Sept. 2, 1749. (2) Wilhelm Manges (so
spelled) came in the "Dragon,"- Daniel Nicho-
las, master; he qualified Oct. 17, 1749. (3)
Peter, J. Conrad, Hans Peter, Adam and John
George Menges came in the brigantine "Sarah
and Mary,'" Thomas Broderick, master, from
Amsterdam. They qualified Oct. 26, 1754.
These five were probably brothers or near rela-
tives, and are likely the ancestors of the Menges
in York county, as indicated in the similarity
of the names prevailing in the family until
the last generation, when the old family names
were dropped. (4) Heinrich Menges came in
the ship "Chance," Charles Smith, captain,
from Rotterdam, last from Cowes, and quali-
fied Nov. I, 1763. (5) John George Menges
came in the "Brittania," Thomas Arnot, cap-
tain, from Rotterdam, and qualified Sept. 26,
1764.

In the office of the register of wills of York
county is recorded the will of Charles Menges,
dated March 29, 1786. His children were:
Michael (probably the eldest), Mary, Eliza-
beth, Peter, Anna Mary, John, Adam and
Jacob. In the same office is recorded the will
of Michael Menges (likely the eldest son of
Charles), probated March 15, 1802, who willed
all his property to his wife, no children being
mentioned in the document. He lived in Man-
chester township, York county.

On June 7, 1806, the will of Peter Menges,
of Manchester township, was probated, his son
John and son-in-law Kilian Zeigler being
named as executors. The heirs were : Jacob,
Peter, John (sons), Margaret (Mrs. Sheaffer),
Elizabeth (Mrs. Eickes), Eve (Mrs. Eik) and
Catherine (Mrs. Zeigler). He willed his farm
in Manchester township, about a mile west of
where the Hanover road joins the York and
Gettysburg pike, to his son Peter, who paid
the estate £1350 for 131 acres. In the same
office is recorded a deed, dated May 3, 1794,
given by Peter Menges, of Manchester town-
ship, to John Kline, who paid him £370 for
a farm of 187 acres in Codorus township ad-
joining the Simmons and Eolkenroth farms.
In the same deed it is shown that Peter Menges
bought this farm from Martin Forst in 1785.
At the time he sold it he lived in Manchester
township, on a farm bought from Charles
Bamitz and wife before 1794. At this time
it comprised 117 acres. Here Peter Menges
died. He and his wife are buried in the old
cemetery at Wolf's church, and the following



appears on their tombstones : "John Peter
Menges, born June loth, 1731, died May 30th,
1806, aged 74 years, 11 months and 20 days.
Maria Catherine, wife of Peter Menges, born
September, 1740, died Oct. 30th, i8o(\ aged
66 years and one month." This Peter Menges
is probably the Hans Peter who came in the
"Sarah and Mary" Oct. 26, 1754. He is the
ancestor of the Menges family in York county.
Where he lived between 1754 and 1785 is not
ascertained.

Peter Menges (son of John Peter) sold
the Manchester township farm he inherited
from his father to David Sprenkel March 8,
1829, for $9,449.09. He had three sons and
two daughters : Jacob, who married Elizabeth
Emig and had one daughter, Mrs. Jacob
Meyers ; George, who married Mary Kopp and
had one son, Jacob, now of Jackson township,
York county; Daniel, who died in i860, at
Hanover ; Mrs. Samuel Oberlander ; and Eliza-
beth, who died unmarried.

Jacob Menges (son of John Peter) bought
the farm in North Codorus township now
owned by William Menges (great-great-grand-
son of John Peter) from Christian Hershey,
April 2, 1808; it is about half a mile southeast
of Menges Mill. Jacob sold it to his brother
John in 1823, and went West, since when noth-
ing has been heard about the family.

John Menges (son of John Peter), born
March 16, 1766, died Dec. 12, 1839. His wife
Magdalena Lau, born Oct. 16, 1773, died Aug.
24, 1858. They had thirteen children: Jacob,
Anna Maria, John, Daniel, Peter, George, Re-
becca, Solomon, Sarah, Elizabeth, Leah, An-
drew and Samuel.

The governing principle of this entire fam-
ily was that of doing right. Neither money,
honors nor preferment could swer\'e them from
a course of righteous Christian action. Their
religion was of the Frankien Lutheran Pietistic
type, and they carried it into their every-day
life and intercourse with their fellowmen.
Though of strong Democratic convictions all
but two of the brothers became Republicans at
the outbreak of the Civil war in 1861 and re-
mained stanch supporters of Lincoln's admm-
istration. All lived to be old, the last to die
being Samuel, the youngest, who passed away
in 1900. at Oxford, Adams Co., Pa. A record
of this family is as follows :

(I) Jacob Menges, born in 1795. in early
life learned the milling business, and later



I044



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



bought a fami near East Berlin, Adams Co.,
Pa; At the appraisement of his father's estate
he took the farm now owned by his grandson,
Wihiam Menges, at Menges' station on the
Western Maryland road. He was a strong
advocate of the early temperance movement,
usually so opposed in this section. He car-
ried his strong religious convictions into all
his dealings with his fellowmen. He married
Cathrene Zinn, and they had six children : ( i )
Jonas, born in 1825, learned the smithing busi-
ness with his uncle, John Menges, in early life,
but later turned his attention to farming. He
was a strong advocate of the anti-slavery
movement. He married Sarah Kehr and lived
on his farm in Jackson township, where he
died in 1886. They had no children. (2)
Jesse, born May 10, 1827, was a farmer, in-
heriting his father's farm already referred to.
He was considered the best farmer in his com-
munity. He was a Republican, and took an
active part in politics diu'ing the war, in a
community where the policies of Lincoln were
most strenuously opposed and where a defense
of those policies was unpleasant and some-
times even dangerous. Jesse Menges married
Louisa Senft, and they had nine children,
Anna, Franklin, Ellen, William, Charles, Peter,
Kate, Elizabeth and Ida. The father died
April II, 1903, but the mother still survives.
Of this family (a) Anna married John A.
Spangler, a member of the Spangler family of
York county, and lives about three miles south
of Spring Grove, Pa. (b) Franklin Menges
spent his boyhood on his father's farm. Dur-
ing this time he began a course of preparation
for college at the Baugher Academy, Hanover,
Pa., entered Pennsylvania College, Gettysburg,
and graduated with the class of 1886. He was
tendered and accepted the assistant professor-
ship of chemistry in his alma mater imme-
diately after graduation, and held this position
until 1896. From Gettysburg he went to York
and took charge of the scientific department
of the York high school, holding this position
until December, 1903, when he resigned to
take the management of a section of farmers'
institute lectures of the State of Pennsylvania
and at the same time collect farm products for
the Agricultural Exhibit of the State of Penn-
sylvania at the Louisiana Purchase Exposition
in 1904, of which he had charge during the
entire exposition. He was honored by his
alma mater with the degree of Ph. D. for
special work in chemistry, mineralogy and



geology^ He is still engaged by the State in
doing farmers" institute lectiu'ing, and also
writes for the daily press on agricultural topics.
He married May Mcllhenny and they are liv-
ing at York. (c) Ellen married Jacob T.
Crist and they are living at Spring Grove, (d)
William owns the farm bought by Jacob
Menges (son of John Peter) from Christian
Hershey in 1808 and which has been owned
by his great-grandfather, his grandfather and
his father, and has been in the name for nearly
a century. He is active in Republican politics
in a hopelessly Democratic district. (e)
Charles married Ameda Lau, and they live
at Spring Grove, where he is in the produce
business. He was postmaster of his town dur-
ing President McKinley's first administration
and has been a member of the town council
for a number of years. (f) Peter married
Lucy Rohrbaugh. He is a farmer, owning
the farm formerly the property of his great-
uncle, John Menges, on the Hanover road near
Iron Ore station, on the Pennsylvania road.
He was school director in his township, being
elected in a strong Democratic district although
he was an active Republican, (g) Kate mar-
ried Charles Reachard, and they live on the
old home farm with her brother William, (h)
Elizabeth married Peter Bott, and lives on the
York and Gettysburg pike, near Labott post
office, (i) Ida married Charles Baker, who
died in 1900. She now lives with her mother
on the old home farm. (3) Levi Menges,
the third son of Jacob, died in bo3diood. (4)
William is living on the borough limits of
McSherrystown, Adams Co., Pa. He is a
farmer, and the largest land owner of the
name, owning six adjoining farms, compris-
ing between eight and nine hundred acres of
the richest and most valuable land in the Cone-
wago valley. He applies strict business
methods to his farming operations and has suc-
ceeded. He is a Republican in politics. He
married Kate Hoke, daughter of Casper Hoke,
and they have the following children : Henry,
who is married and living on one of his
father's farms: Mary, at home Avith her par-
ents; Sarah, Mrs. Henry Hartman; Ellen,
Mrs. David Little; Charles, at home farming;
Agnes, Mrs. Charles Bowman; John, living
on his farm near his father; and Lucy and
Jesse, both living at home. (5) Leah, the
only daughter of Jacob Menges, married
Henry Reynold, and she lives with her neice,
Mrs. John Spangler. They had no children.



BIOGRAPHICAL



1045



(6) Absalom, the youngest son of Jacob, lives
in Paradise township, York county, on the
Paradise creek, where he owns a small mill
and two farms and combines milling and farm-
ing. He married Nancy Hoke, daughter of
Michael Hoke, and their children are : Sarah,
Mrs. Martin Berkheimer, living at Spring
Grove; Ellen, Mrs. George Heneise, living in
Paradise township ; Jacob, farming his father's
farm; Annie, Mrs. George Bollinger, living
close by her father's mill; Susan, Mrs. Allen
Jacobs, living in Spring Grove; Jonas, living
at Spring Grove; Paul, a graduate of the Dick-
inson Law School and recently admitted to
the York Bar; and Luther, one of the office
men with the York Manufacturing Company.

(II) Anna Maria Menges, second child
of John, was born Sept. 9, 1797, and on May
24, 1818, married Zachriah Spangler, a mem-
ber of the York county Spangler family. They
had twelve children : Kathrine, Michael,
Charles, Peter, Andrew, Solomon, Sarah, Re-
becca, Elizabeth, Leah, Levi and Lidia.

(III) John Menges, son of John, was said
to have been the image of his father. He was
more than six feet tall and possessed enormous
strength. He owned the f^rm now in the
possession of his grand nephew, Peter Menges,
near Iron Ridge station on the Pennsylvania
road, and there during the early years of his
life ran quite an extensive smithing establish-
ment and also kept a tavern. He married
Elizabeth Rudisill, and they had seven chil-
dren : Anna Maria, Magdalena, Sarah, Mary,
Nancy, Eliza and Jacob.

(IV) Daniel Menges, son of John, in early
manhood managed his father's farm, lying
about two miles northwest of Spring Grove.
Upon his father's death he took this farm at
the appraisement and later sold it to Henry
Schwartz, whose heirs still own it. On June
18, 1828, he married Elizabeth Bollinger, and
they had four children, Joseph, Henry, Suzan-
nah and Emanuel. After selling the farm in-
herited from his father he bought a farm near
York Springs, then known as Petersburg,
where he remained until his death, and where
in later life he bought several other farms.
Of his children, Joseph married Elizabeth
Coulson and had five daughters, Sadie (Mrs.
Clayton Myers), Mary (unmarried), Alice
(Mrs. Alfred Harboldt), Marshy (unmarried)
and Josie (Mrs. Willis Worley). Henry mar-
ried Mary Strayer, and they had three chil-
dren, Jacob (who married Annie Bream),



Alice (married to Stephen Frazer) and John
(who married Carrie Gulp). Suzannah mar-
ried Charles Eichelberger, and they had eight
children, Emma, Martin, Ira, Clara, George,
Etta, Jennie and William. Emanuel married
a Miss Stauffer, and they had three children,
Charles (who married Bertie Trostle), Harry
(who married Mary Larew) and Frank (mar-
ried to Minnie Thomas).

(V) Peter Menges, son of John, born in
1802, learned milling at Hershey's mill, in
Heidelberg township, in early life. He mar-
ried Anna, daughter of Christian Hershey,
proprietor of Hershey's mill, and then took up
farming on the place his father bought from
his uncle, Jacob Menges, in 1823. In con-
nection with farming he ran a distillery until
the great temperance movement, with which
he became identified and of which he was a
strong advocate, swept over this section. He
abandoned distilling and ever afterward was
one of the strongest opponents of the whiskey
business. In 1835 ^^ bought his father-in-
law's farm and milling property, which has
since been known as Menges' Mill, one of the
oldest milling properties west of York. Peter
Menges died in 1883. He had two sons, John
H. and Peter H.

John H. Menges, born Jan. 3, 1825, was
during his boyhood and early manhood in the
midst of great religious revivals which moved
men's hearts. He came into the movement
with his father and many others, and animated
with a love for religious work he determined
to enter the ministry. He received his academ-
ical and theological training under Rev. Will-
iam H. Heilig, at Abbottstown, Adams Co.,
Pa., and at Middletown, Lancaster Co., Pa.
He entered the ministry in 1849 ^"d was called
to the Petersburg (Lancaster county) charge,
comprising three congregations — Mt. Joy,
Manheim and Petersburg. Thence he accepted
a call to the German Lutheran congregation at
Columbia, Pa., and while there organized the
English Lutheran Church of that town.
Thence he went to York and organized the
Union Lutheran Church on West Market
street, which he served fourteen years. From
there he went to the Shrewsbury charge, com-
prising three congregations — New Freedom,
Fishel's and Shrewsbur3^ After leaving this
charge he organized Grace Lutheran congre-
gation, Spring Garden street, Philadelphia,
from which charge he returned to the Manheim
(Lancaster county) charge where he began his



1046



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



labors in 1849. He was instrumental in organ-
izing the Loysville Orphans' Home, and dur-
ing his ministry was a member of the boards
of education, church extension, pubHcation, the
Theological Seminary at Gettysburg, etc. He
was an unswerving patriot and loyalist during
the sixties and from pulpit and with pen helped
to fight the battles for the Union. He was a
friend of the soldier and did not regard his
church too sacred a place for his shelter, for
when a furious storm overtook the soldiers of
Camp Scott of York and drove them from
camp he threw open the doors of his church to
them. In 1864 he helped organize a company
for the defense of the State and became its
quartermaster, the boys naming the company
the Menges Guard in his honor.

Rev. John H. Menges married Cathrine
Sheller, daughter of Dr. Sheller, of Mt. Joy,
Pa., and they had six children, all now living
in Philadelphia, viz.: Margaret, Mrs. A. L.
Jamison ; Paul ; Charles, who is in the auditing
department of the Pennsylvania Railroad Com-
pany, at the Broad street station, Philadelphia ;
Mary, Mrs. William F. Earle; Sarah J., Mrs.
N. B. Jeffries, and Allen. Rev. John H.
Menges died in 1898 and is buried in Prospect
Hill cemetery, York, Pennsylvania.

Peter H. Menges was bom at Menges' Mill
and lived there during his entire life. He at-
tended an academy at Mt. Joy, Lancaster coun-
ty, in boyhood, and in early manhood took the
management of his father's teams. He was
appointed one of the first internal revenue col-
lectors under Lincoln's administration, Avhen
the enforcement of the payment of the revenues
required the presence of an officer of the law
and when it was necessary to be armed to
collect the revenues. He was superintendent
of a number of the iron mines along the Pigeon
Hills until they were closed, when iron ore
was put on the free list in 1878. After this
he devoted his time to the management of his
farm and mill, both of which he brought to
a high state of development and efficiency.
He married Kate Hinkle. of Columbia, Pa.,
and they had seven children : ( i ) Annie mar-
ried Z. L. Bowman and lives at Spring Grove,
Pa. (2) John G. married Maggie Faust and
lives at Menges' Mill station, on the Penn-
sylvania road. He has been for a number of
years postmaster at Menges' Mills post office
and the proprietor of a successful mercantile
and grain business. (3) Minnie married
Charles Staufifer and lives at Spring Grove.



(4) Alvin L. is the owner and manager of
Menges Mill, where he is conducting one of
the most successful milling enterprises in the
county. He married Eva fanger. (5) Will-
iam H. is associated with his brother Alvin in
the milling and grain business. He is a grad-
uate of Pennsylvania College, Gettysburg
(1896), and after his graduation returned to
his father's home, taking an active _part in
the business, in which he became a partner
a few years ago. He married Charlotte Ger-
trude Bowers and they live at the old home-
stead with his mother. He is active in Re-
publican politics. (6) Patience and (7)
Mamie died in childhood. Peter H. Menges,
the father of this family, died in 1904, and
is buried in the cemetery at Spring Grove, York
county.

(VI) George Menges, son of John, was a
blacksmith by trade, but early in life turned
to farming and became a wealthy man for his
day. He married Margaret Emig, and they
had seven daughters : Sarah, Mrs. Samuel
Rudisill; Sevilla; Louisa, Mrs. Abraham Mar-
tin; Margaret, Mrs. Abraham Hoke; Salinda;
Magdalena, and Eliza. George Menges and
his wife are buried in the Union cemetery of
the Pigeon Hill church.

(VII) Rebecca Menges, daughter of John,
married Solomon Moul and had six children :
Teliah, Mrs. Peter Heilman; Sevilla, Mrs.
Joshua Reynold; Sarah, Mrs. Andrew Rudi-
sill ; Sophia, Mrs. Valentine Hoar ; Susan, Mrs.
Theophilus Hoar; and Rolandus, now living
on the farm inherited from his father at Mouls-
town, Heidelberg township, York county.

(VIII) Solomon Menges, son of John, was
a miller by trade, and for a number of years
head miller in the mill of his brother Peter.
After leaving there he went to Maryland,
where he engaged in the business more ex-
tensively, and where he married Julian Hess.
Some years after his marriage he stopped mill-
ing and bought a farm about two miles north-
west of Littlestown, Pa. They had four chil-
dren : (i) Israel after growing up on his
father's farm and teaching school during sev-
eral winters went West, where he engaged in
teaching and where he married a Western
woman. There he died several years ago. (2)
Daniel learned milling at his Uncle Peter's
mill, and afterward went West, where he mar-
ried. He has two children, Charles and Julian.
(3) Samuel spent his boyhood on his father's
farm, married and continued farming on the



BIOGRAPHICAL



1047



old place until after his father's death, when
he sold it and removed to Spring Grove.
There he is now engaged in the paper mills
of P. H. Glatfelter. He has one son, Charles.
(4) Sarah married A. M. Frick and lives near
Littlestown, Pennsylvania.

(IX) Sarah Menges, daughter of John,
married Samuel Boyer, and they lived on the
old Boyer homestead about two miles south-
west of Menges' Mill, on the farm still owned
by her son, Andrew Boyer. They had five
children: Sarah, Mrs. Edward Stambaugh;
Magdalena, Mrs. Henry Rohrbaugh; Leah,
Mrs. John Bable; Andrew, who is married to
a Miss Sheaffer and lives on the old home-
stead; and Maria, Mrs. Jacob Bechtel.

(X) Elizabeth Menges, daughter of John,
married Abraham Triber. They had four chil-
dren, Henry, Peter, Elizabeth, and Mrs. Mar-
tin Myers.

(XI) Leah Menges, daughter of John,
married Michael Livingston, and they lived
west of New Oxford, Adams Co., Pa. They
had four children : Edward Michael ; Peter, a
Lutheran minister located at St. Mark's
Church, York, Pa. ; Mrs. David Taughen-
baugh, and Amanda.

(XII) Andrew Menges, son of John,



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 199 of 201)