Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 20 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 20 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


in marriage to Miss Emma Jane Smith, daugh-
ter of Charles H. Smith (deceased), a well-
known lime manufacturer of York. To this
union four children were born, as follows:
C. H., Jr., a chemist; Nellie C, who attended
Wellesley College, in Massachusetts; Clara
Agnes and Marion Louise, who are both in
school. Mr. Dempwolf is a member of Christ
Lutheran Church, while in the political field
he affiliates with the Democratic party. He
also belongs to the Lafayette and Country
Clubs. The family residence on South George
street is one of the most attractive and hospi-
table in the city.

MATTHEW GARRETT COLLINS is
the efficient general manager and treasurer of
the York Silk Manufacturing Company, whose
business has developed to its present propor-
tions under his skillful care. He is one of the
younger business men of York, and is a con-
spicuous example of the success that waits on
fidelity, intelligent enterprise and good judg-
ment.

The Collins family in America was founded
by five or six brothers who came to this coun-
try from Scotland. One of these brothers set-
tled near Pittsburgh, and became the great-
grandfather of Matthew Garrett.

George M. Collins, grandfather of Matthew
Garrett, was a contracting painter, a business
which his son, Oliver C, also followed. The
latter met his death prematurely, by a fall from
a ladder, in his thirty-eighth year.

Oliver C. Collins married Elizabeth Rode-
baugh, daughter of Samuel Rodebaugh, of
West Newton, Pa. Of the seven children born
to this marriage, three died in infancy. The
other members of the familv are ; Samuel R.,
a merchant of Charleroi, Pa. ; George McL.,
also of Charleroi; Oliver C, of Pittsburgh:
and Matthew Garrett, of this sketch.

Matthew Garrett Collins was born Feb. 25,
1874, in McKeesport, Pa., and was educated
in the public schools. He took up his father's




Vuv^^v^i^Co^^



BIOGRAPHICAL



business of painting, making a specialty of
signs. But that work was not to his taste, and
he gave it up and went to New York City,
where he found employment as a messenger
with a firm of bankers and brokers. After a
year in this position he had so gained the con-
fidence of his employers that they sent him to
Pennsylvania, and in 1898 he built a silk mill
at Fleetwood. The superintendent left soon
after the mill was put in operation, and Mr.
Collins took the management into his own
hands. He soon put up another mill at Car-
lisle, and in 1899 came to York, that "city of
industries," where he built two more mills.
These four mills, at Fleetwood, Carlisle and
York, are now consolidated under the manage-
ment of the York Silk Manufacturing Com-
pany, with Mr. Collins as its general mana-
ger. The concern makes a specialty of Money-
bak black silk, which finds a ready market all
over the United States. The enterprise was
successful from the start, and paid the stock-
holders a seven per cent dividend each year
from the beginning of operations. The capa-
city is ten thousand yards a day, and in 1904
the business amounted to two million dollars.

Mr. Collins married, Dec. 22, 1898, Effie
L. Craig, daughter of Hugh Craig, superin-
tendent of the mines of the Pittsburg Coal
Company, at Charleroi. A daughter, Louise,
was born in 1900 and died in 1901, aged fifteen
months. One son, Craig, was also born to this
marriage.

Mr. Collins is' a Mason, a member of the
Blue Lodge, and also a member of the Artis-
ans. In politics he is a Republican, but has
never been blindly partisan. He is an active
member of the Methodist Church of York, of
which he is a trustee; and in all of his affairs,
social, business, political and religious, he is
known and honored for his liberal and broad-
minded views. The two magnificent silk mills
in York of which he was the inceptor and
founder will prove enduring monuments to his
memory, employing, as they do, hundreds of
skilled laborers whose comfortable homes are
made more easily possible through their lu-
crative wages, sending thousands of dollars
through the avenues of trade ; and no man in
the community has done a better work in this
direction than has Matthew Garrett Collins.



JOHN HAY WOGAN has been for more
than twenty years past president of the York
County Agricultural. Society, and has been
largely instrumental in making a national
reputation tor that association.

An early iVmerican' ancestor of the Wogan
family was John Wogan, who, on June 18,
1737, secured from John, Thomas and Will-
iam Penn a grant of 318 acres of land in
Lancaster county, Pa. A portion of this es-
tate remains in the possession of the family
to-day. By the will of this John Wogan, dated
Dec. 20, 1747, a tract of 100 acres was be-
queathed to the Protestant Church of the
neighborhood "never to be sold, but always to
be used for church purposes." The Wogan
family is of Scotch-Irish descent, and the first
emigrants to this country settled in Maryland,
but moved to Pennsylvania early in the eigh-
teenth century. The name was originally
spelled Hogens, which was modified to Vogen's
and many generations ago became Wogan,
as at present.

George Wogan, father of John Hay, was
born on the ancestral farm, and died at York
in 1879, at the age of seventy-nine. He mar-
ried Margaret Hay, daughter of Col. John
Hay, a veteran of the war of 181 2 (a sketch
of whom appears elsewhere), who died at the
age of eighty. She was the mother of three
children, of whom Anna H. died at the age of
fifty-eight, and Rebecca at the age of seven.
The third child was John Hay Wogan.

John Hay Wogan was born Dec. 15, 1837,
in [Manchester township, York county, was sent
to boarding schools in Cumberland, York and
Chester counties, and completed his studies in
the York County Academy. After his mar-
riage Mr. Wogan occupied himself for thirty
years with farming. He then retired to
Mount Wolf, and in 1902 removed to York,
where he has since made his home. For more
than twenty years he has been prominently be-
fore the public as president of the York Coun-
ty Agricultural Society, and is wideh' known
in business circles as president of the West
York Furniture Manufacturing Company.

In 1859 Mr. Woean married Sarah Wolf,
daughter of Adam Wolf, a merchant of what
is now East Manchester, York county, and to
this union six children have been born, as



102



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



follows: Caleb, general dealer in stocks; An-
na H., wife of Charles Sayres, a merchant of
York; George, a farmer, living on the home-
stead farm; William W., D. D. S., a graduate
of the University of Baltimore, class of 1887,
now practicing dentistry in York; C. Edward,
D. D. S., a graduate of the University of Bal-
timore, class of 1889, now practicing dentistry
in Carlisle, Pa. ; and I. Park, superintendent of
a furniture factory at Mt. Hope, and also of
the factory of the West York Furniture Com-
pany.

John Hay AVogan is one of the most sub-
stantial and progressive residents of York, a
keen business man and public-spirited citizen.
He is a Republican in politics. While living
in Manchester township he was for six years
one of the board of school directors. His
father was one of the organizers of the York
County Agricultural Society, of which Mr.
Wogan has bieen for many years the efficient
president.

JOHN McCOY is vice-president and man-
ager of the York Card & Paper Company, of
which he was one of the principal organizers
and stockholders.

Mr. McCoy bears the full patronymic of
his paternal grandfather, John McCoy, who
was of Scotch-Irish descent and wdio was a
successful gardener in the city of Philadelphia,
where his death occurred. There was born his
son Robert, father of our subject, and he be-
came a leading contracting plumber in that
city, where he died in 1899, at the ag"e of
sixty-two years. His wife, whose maiden
name was Elizabeth Wentz, was likewise born
and reared in Philadelphia, and there she still
maintains her home. Of the ten children of
this union it is recorded that Elizabeth, Mar-
tha, Catherine and Adam died in early child-
hood, and, besides Mr. McCoy himself, the
survivors are as follows : Hugh and Robert,
whp' are employees of the York Card & Paper
Co. : and Margaret, Mary and Anna, who re-
main with their mother in Philadelphia. ■

John McCoy, son of Robert, was born in
Philadelphia, Sept. 5, 1856, and in the public
schools of his native city he secured his edu-
cation, though he early began to assume the
practical responsibilities of life, having se-
cured work in a local wallpaper manufactory



when but ten years of age. His first position
of importance was that of foreman in the paper
factory of the Janeway Company, at Bruns-
wick, N. J., where he remained five years. At
the expiration of that period he was similarly
employed in the works of the A. A. Yerkes
Paper Company, of Philadelphia. Still in the
employ of the same company, he came to
York in 1887, the factory of the concern be-
ing there established in wdiat is now known as
the Codorus Paper Mill, while about three
years after its locating there the business w^as
sold to the national wallpaper trust. Shortly
afterward, in 1892, Mr. McCoy associated him-
self with Judge W. F. Bay Stewart, of York,
in the organization of the York Card & Pa-
per Co., of which the Judge became president
and Mr. McCoy vice-president and general
manager. The first building utilized by the
new concern, which valiantly placed itself in
opposition to the trust, was that now occupied
by the York Wall Paper Company, while to-
day the plant occupies a large and substantial
modern structure, which was specially erected
for the purpose, under the personal supei-vis-
ion of Mr. McCoy. In the works employment
is given to nearly 300 persons at the time of
this writing, and the products of the vast con-
cern, particularly in the line of wall paper, are
sold in all sections of the Union, and an ex-
port trade of important scope has been estab-
lished and is constantly expanding. In addi-
tion to his identification with this magnificent
enterprise Mr. McCoy has signalized his pro-
gressive spirit by associating himself with
other important concerns. He is president of
the Cecil Paper Company, and a member of
the directorates of the Norway Steel & Iron
Company and the' Gypsum Product Company,
of BuiTalo. N. Y. 'Sir. ]\IcCoy was formerly a
director of the Security Trust Company of
York, resigning this office, in 1902, to become
a candidate for the city treasurership. for
which he was nominated on the Republican
ticket. Though York was at that time normal-
ly Democratic by a large majority he was de-
feated only by the narrow margin of about
fifty votes. He is a stockholder in the Safety
Storage Company, of York, and also in the
York Knitting Mills. He is a valued member
of the Royal Fire Company, of York, was
chairman of the building committee which sup-



BIOGRAPHICAL



103



erintended the erection of the present fine en-
gine house, and is now a trustee and one of the
vice-presidents of the company. As promoter
of the York Card & Paper Co., Mr. McCoy may
be said to have inaugurated the industrial
boom, which has not only made West York a
center of industrial activity but given the en-
tire city an impetus of pronounced order. Few
citizens in recent years have done more for the
advancement of the city along industrial lines.

Mr. McCoy has ever accorded allegiance
to the Republican party. Fraternally he is af-
filiated with the Masonic order, being a mem-
ber of Zeredatha Lodge, No. 451, also with the
B. P. O. E. while socially he is a member of
the Lafayette, the Country and the Bachelor
Clubs, of York. He is held in the highest con-
fidence and esteem in both business and social
circles. Both he and his wife hold member-
ship in the First Presbyterian Church.

On Feb. 9, 1878, was solemnized the
marriage of Mr. McCoy to Miss Catherine
Wallace Smith, of Stirling, Scotland, where
she was born and reared, daughter of John
Smith, a prominent shoe manufacturer and an
influential citizen of Glasgow. Mr. and Mrs.
McCoy have three children, namely : John S.,
who is treasurer of the York Card & Paper
Co.; Elizabeth Wallace, the wife of C. H.
Emig, of Y^ork; and Robert Douglas, who
is preparing himself to succeed his father as
manager of the York Card & Paper Company.

JOHN S. AIcCOY. Ours is an age of pre-
eminence for the young man in business. One
of the most important of the industries of the
city of York is that represented by the York
Card & Paper Company, of which John S. ]\Ic-
Coy, although still on the sunny side of thirty,
is secretary and treasurer. He is a son of John
McCoy, the able vice-president and manager
of the company above mentioned, and a mem-
ber of an old and honored family.

John Smith IMcCoy was born in New
Brunswick, N. J., Jan. 30, 1878, and was about
eight years of age at the time of his parents"
removal to York, in whose public schools he
secured his preliminary education completing
a course in the high school, and thereafter con-
tinuing his studies in Mercersburg College.
From the latter institution he was graduated
as a n.ember of the class of 1897, while in 1901



he completed the course in the college depart-
ment of the University of Pennsylvania, re-
ceiving the degree of B. S, Soon afterward he
became identified with the executive manage-
ment of the York Card & Paper Company, his
father being one of the stockholders of the con-
cern, and in 1901 he was made secretary and
treasurer of the company. An idea of the re-
sponsible and exacting duties devolving upon
him in this connection may be g-ained when is
noted the fact that the annual output of wall
paper is greater than that of any other factory
in the world, having reached the stupendous
aggregate of twenty-five millions of rolls a
year. Farther than this, however, Mr. Mc-
Coy finds demands on his tiine and attention
as an executive officer, since he is treasurer of
the York Safety Storage Company, director
and secretary of the York Market Company,
and secretary of the Royal Fire Company and
general manager of the Cecil Paper Co. His
capacity for detail work is large; he is a reli-
able, progressive and energetic young busi-
ness man and one who has won much prestige
in a minimum period. He is a master Mason,
being affiliated with Zeredatha Lodge, No. 451,
A,"F. & A. M., and the B. P. O.^E., and, in
a social way, is a popular member of the Bach-
elor and the Country Clubs, of York. Both he
and his wife are members of the First Presby-
terian Church.

On May 22, 1902, Mr. McCoy was united
in marriage to Miss Rose Elma Manifold,
daughter of Sheriff S. M. Manifold, former
general manager of the York Traction Com-
pany and the Edison Electric Light Company,
who resigned those positions to become the
sberiff^ of the countv, having been elected to
that office in November, 190a. ^Tr. and Mrs.
McCoy have one son, Samuel J., who was born
Aug. 13, 1903.

JOHN EDWARD VANDERSLOOT, a
promising and active member of the York coun-
ty Bar, was born at Glen Rock. York county,
Feb. 17, 1869, son of Dr. Frederick \A". and
Sarah G. G. (Fife) Vandersloot. The fam-
ily is of German lineage, the first progenitor in
Pennsylvania having been the Rev, Frederick
W. Vandersloot, who was born in Zerbst, a
town in Anhalt-Dessau, a principality in Up-
per Saxony, Germany, in T743. He was the



T04



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PEXXSYLVAXIA



only sun of Rew Frederick \Villielm Von-der-
slout, and emigrated to Pennsylvania in 1782,
his wile and family remaining in Europe. ±lis
first field of labor lay in Allen township,
i\' orthampton Co., Pa., and became known later
as the "Dry Land Charge.'" From 1784 to
1786 he served as the German Reformed pas-
tor of the Goshenhappen Church, in Upper Sal-
lord township, Montgomery county. Jriis first
wife having died, he married, Jan. 29, 1784,
JMiss Anna Alargaretta Reid, oldest daughter
of Jacob Reid, of Hatfield township. Mr. V'an-
dersloot returned to Northampton county,
where he died in 1803.

Rev. Frederick W. Vandersloot (HI) was
an eloquent and forceful preacher. He was
born Nov. 11, 1775, in Dessau, Germany. Af-
ter finishing his education at Heidelberg Uni-
versity he followed his father to Pennsylvania,
where he married Catherine D. Pauli, daugh-
ter of Rev. P. R. Pauli, of Reading. Pa. From
1812 to 1818 Mr. Vandersloot was the Ger-
man Reformed pastor at Goshenhappen Church
and also preached in Philadelphia, Pa., in West
Virginia, and at other places, finally settling in
York county, where he died Dec. 14, 1831. Fie
was buried with his wife at Holz Schwamm
Church, his last charge.

Frederick W. Vandersloot (IV) was born
in Philadelphia, Jan. 8, 1804, and, following in
the footsteps of his honored ancestors, became
a minister. He upheld the high reputation
gained in the pulpit by his predecessors, and
proved himself worthy of their mantle. His
labors were confined almost exclusively to
York county, where he was widely kno\vn and
greatly esteemed and beloved. His charges in
York were numerous, among them being Sad-
ler's Church, Ziegler's, near Seven Vallev, Bli-
myer's Church, Zion's Church, Springetsbury
and Stahley's Church, Lower End. At the last
named charge his ministry extended over a
period of forty-four years. ' He married Mary
A. Witman, and died Sept. 11, 1878. Both are
interred in Prospect Hill cemetery, York, Pa.

Dr. Frederick \\'. Vandersloot, the fifth of
that name and the eldest son of his father, was
the first in five generations to seek a orofes-
sional career outside of the ministrv of the Ger-
man Reformed Church. Dr. A^^ndersloot was
born in Windsor townsliio, "^'ork countv. Tan.
30, 1834, and lived to be one of the oldest phy-



sicians in York county, ha\'ing been in active
practice from 1855, "^ ^vhich year he graduated
from the University of Maryland, until his
death, in 1904. He married Sarah G. G. Fife,
a daughter of Robert Fife, of Shrewsbury.
Mrs. Vandersloot was born in Shrewsbury,
Feb. 21, 1838, and was of Irish descent. She
died Feb. 13, 1898, aged fifty-nine years. They
reared a family of five children : Frederick W.,
Jr., Anna (who married John F. Kissinger),
Robert F., John Edward and Lewis. Dr. Van-
dersloot died Jan. 13, 1904.

John Edward Vandersloot was educated in
the public schools. He became a clerk in the
Pennsylvania Agricultural Works, and later ac-
cepted a position with the York Dispatch as
news reporter, continuing thus for several
years. He acquired a knowledge of stenog-
raphy and typewriting and, after leaving the
Dispatch, became stenographer and clerk in the
chain manufacturing establishment of J. C.
Schmidt & Co., with whom he remained for a
period of three years. At the expiration of that
time he registered with George S. Schmidt as
a law student, and was admitted to the York
county Bar in October, 1893. J^Ii"- Vander-
sloot's clerical experience and his proficiency in
typewriting and shorthand, as well as his legal
knowledge, constitute an unusual and practical
equipment for his legal duties, and have en-
abled him to rapidly rise in his profession.

Mr. Vandersloot has for a number of years
been a member of the Duke Street ^lethodist
Episcopal Church, in which he holds official po-
sition, and to whose extension and moral work
he has given largely of his time, efforts and
means. He is an earnest Republican in poli-
tics, and gives liberal support to the principles
and policies of his party. He was chairman
of the York County Republican organization
for several years. In December, 1903, he was
appointed referee in bankruptcy for York and
Adams counties, succeeding John B. iMcPher-
son. who removed to Boston.

On June 5, 1895, Mr. Vandersloot was
married to Miss Carolyn S. Helker, daughter
of D. A. and Emily ( Sayres) Helker, of York.
They have two children : Charles Edwin and
Sarah Emily.

JAMES GRAHA]M GLESSXER. one of
the leading lawyers of York, who holds the of-
fice of district attornev. was born at Lewis-



BIOGRAPPIICAL



berry, York county, Nov. 9, 1865, son of Henry
and Anna (Graham) Glessner.

Henry Glessner and his wife were both
natives of York county. He was of Swiss de-
scent, while his wife's ancestors were of Scotch
Irish origin. Henry Glessner was a painter
and cabinetmaker by trade, lived a quiet and
unassuming life at Lewisberry, and died Feb.
21, 1884, at the age of fifty-four years. Both
Mr. and Airs. Glessner afirliated with the
Methodist Church. They became the parents
of seven children.

James G. Glessner was reared in his native
\illage and attended the common schools until
he was sixteen years of age. He then taught
school and afterward attended school at Lock
Haven, Pa., and subsecpently attended the
Cumberland Valley State Normal School,
Shippensburg, Pa., from which he was gradu-
ated in the class of 1885. In the ensuing year
he commenced the study of law with the firm
of Kell & Kell, of York, and after teaching a
term of school in 1887, was admitted to the
Bar of York county in the following year. Im-
mediately after his admission to the Bar he
opened an office with Silas H. Forry, and took
up his residence in York, where he has since
made his home. Mr. Glessner's success was
immediate and emphatic and he at once became
prominent in both professional and public life.
He is an ardent and energetic Republican and
has been actively interested in the policies of
his party since early manhood. In 1890 he
was elected secretary of the Republican County
Committee, and held that position through two
active campaigns. Upon the death of the
county chairman, in 1892, Mr. Glessner at once
announced himself as a candidate for the va-
cant position, and after a spirited contest was
elected chairman. In this position he had to
deal with new faces and factors in State and
national politics, but acquitted himself with so
much satisfaction and such undoubted ability
for leadership that, during the four succeeding"
years, he was honor.ed by unanimous re-elec-
tion. During all these years, and especially in
1896, he fully sustained the well-earned dis-
tinction of 1892. A vigorous and untiring
worker, he has shown himself amply able to
meet the exigencies of political campaigning,
and has, by ability and sagacity, won a high
reputation as a successful Republican leader.

In 1890 Mr. Glessner's party made him its



candidate for district attorney, but notwith-
standing his advanced vote he was unable to
u\ercome the large adverse majority in the
county. Mr. Glessner was agam nominated
by the Republican party of \ork county for
the ofiice of district attorney, in 1904, and was
triumphantly elected in the memorable cam-
paign of November of that year, which wrested
York county from Democratic control ; and no
voice or influence had more to do with effecting
that radical change than had the voice and in-
fluence of James G. Glessner. He is a tren-
chant and eloquent speaker, , of fine intellectual
endowments, and with the marked forensic abil-
ity he has shown has reached an eminent and
secure position in the legal fraternity of his
county.

Mr. Glessner is a stockholder, director and
vice-president of the Drovers' & Mechanics'
National Bank, and is also interested as a
stockholder or director in a number of other
concerns. Fraternally he is a member of the
Masonic order, the Knights of the Golden
Eagle and the Benevolent and Protective Order
of Elks, and is a past exalted ruler of the last
named order.

On June 18, 1891, Mr. Glessner was united
in marriage with Joanna Bowen, daughter of
Mrs. Mary M. Bowen, of Shippensburg, Pa.,
and two children, a son and a daughter, iiave
been born to this union, namely: Hazel M.
and Silas Forry.

H. C. BRENNEMAN-, the well-known
and successful la\vyer of the York county Bar,
is the eldest son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Berk-
heimer) Brenneman, and was born in ^^'ash-
ington township, York county, Jan. 14, 1858.

Mr. Brenneman's parents were of German
extraction, and belonged to the sturdy class that
have done much toward the industrial and ma-
terial progress of Southern Pennsylvania. His
father, Jacob Brenneman, was bom in 1833,
and was in early life a manufacturer of woolen
goods, and afterward turned his attention to
farming. He died in 1886, his wife surviving
him until 1893. There were four children born
to them, one of whom, the only daughter, Mary,
died in infancy. The survi\-crs are : Henry
C, Martin L., and Andrew J.

Henry C. Brenneman left the public schools



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 20 of 201)