Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 21 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 21 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


when sixteen years of age, and after attending
Central Pennsvlvania College at New Berlin,



io6



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Union county, one -term, entered the State Nor-
mal school at Millersville, from which he was
graduated in the class of 1880. He then took
a post-graduate course at Alillersville, and be-
came principal of the Adamstown public school,
Lancaster county, which position he acceptably
filled for one year. At the expiration of that
time he was elected vice-principal of the York
High school, in which he taught mathematics
and history for a period of six years. In 1887
hte became a candidate for, and was elected to,
the superintendency of schools in York county,
and his conduct of educational affairs during
his first incumbency was such that he was
unanimously re-elected in 1890.

Toward the close of his second term as
county superintendent, Mr. Brenneman con-
cluded to leave the educational field in which
he had been so conspicuously successful as
teacher and superintendent, to take up the pro-
fession of law. He registered as a law student
in the office of N. Sargent Ross, Esq., and was
duly admitted to practice in August, 1895.
Shortly after his admission, a partnership was
formed with his former preceptor, Mr. Ross,
w^hich resulted in the present legal firm of Ross
& Brenneman, one of the leading law firms of
York county. A few months after entering
into, practice Mr. Brenneman was appointed
county solicitor, a position which he held for
five years. On Jan. i, 1906, he was again elect-
ed county solicitor. Politically he is a Demo-
crat, and has been identified with the active
work of his party. He is a member of the La-
fayette Social Club, Royal Fire Co. No. 6, the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Im-
proved Order of Heptasophs, Benevolent &
Protective Order of Elks, Knights of Pythias,
and is a high degree Masoii. He is a past of-
ficer of York Lodge No. 266, Free and Ac-
cepted Masons iHowell Chapter, No. i99,Royal
Arch Masons; York Commandery No. 21,
Knights Templar ; Harrisburg Consistory ; and
Lulu Temple, Ancient Arabic Order of the
Nobles of the Mystic Shrine of Philadelphia.
He is past master, past high priest, and past
eminent commander in the Masonic fraternity.

On May 21, 1891. Mr. Brenneman was
united in marriage with Ida Lee Sanks, daugh-
ter of Rev. James Sanks, deceased.



AUGUSTUS LOUCKS, for many years
an active factor in the development of York,
and for over four ytRvs from Nov. i, 1901,
postmaster of the city, is one of the few to
whom were presented by the State of Pennsyl-
vania "Medals of Honor" in recognition of
their prompt enlistment as defenders of the flag
in the dark days when treason and rebellion
were rampant throughout the land. Mr.
Loucks was on the roll the second day after
the call, and on the 19th of April was doing
guard duty on the Northern Central railroad
in Maryland. The patriotism, which was his
moving spring of action then, still burns with
unabated fervor, as he regards with a pardon-
able pride the glorious country which he was
privileged to aid in keeping intact.

Germany was the ancestral home of the
Loucks, the original emigrant, Peter Loucks,
leaving the Palatinate, in the Fatherland, and
at Rotterdam embarking on board the ship
"Nancy and Friendship,"' in June, 1738, for
the great unknown western land. He arrived
in New York, according to record on Sept. 20,
1738, later locating in Tulpehocken township,
Berks Co., Pa., where he became an extensive
land owner. The maternal great-great-grand-
father of Mr. Loucks, Philip Frederick Eichel-
berger, came from Ittlingen, near Sinsheim,
Grand Duchy of Baden, now in the empire of
Germany. He set sail on June 22, 1728, in the
ship "Albany" from Rotterdam, Holland, and
landed at Philadelphia Sept. 4th of the same
year, afterward locating in York county.

Caspar Loucks, the grandfather of Augus-
tus, came to York county in 1800 and settled
on a landed estate in Manchester (now West
Manchester) township, where he passed the re-
mainder of his life. Here on the old homestead
was reared Peter Loucks, the father of Augais-
tus, and to the same place he brought his bride,
whose maiden name was ]\Iaria Eichelberger,
and whose father, William Eichelberger, owned
and lived on the farm nojv known as the York
county fair grounds. To the marriage of Pe-
ter Loucks and his wife Alaria five children
were born, two of whom are now living : Cas-
par and Augustus, the former a retired farmer
whose residence is North Newberrv street,
York.



BIOGRAPHICAL



107



Augustus Loucks was born on the old
homestead in West Manchester township, York
county, April 7, 1840. His education was re-
ceived in the schools of his home district, and
he eagerly grasped every opportunity that of-
fered for the increase of his knowledge. After
a few years spent in farming on the old home
place, he left the homestead and engaged in
business for himself. Locating in York, on
the corner of Market and Penn streets, he
started in the business of general merchandis-
ing, in which he continued for fifteen years.
Leaving that business in 1879, in 1880 Mr.
Loucks became the superintendent of the
"York Chariot Line," as the street conveyances
at that time were called. He engaged in this
work about three years, resigning when the
present street railway system Avas established,
when he retired from business. In 1888 he
was elected assessor in the Fifth (now Elev-
enth) ward and served one term; in 1895 he
was honored by being chosen commissioner of
highways for the city of York, resigning in
the spring of 1896, and afterward being elected
alderman of the Eleventh ward. His incum-
bency of this position lasted five years, during
which period he served his ward most faith-
fully. In 1901 President Roosevelt appointed
Mr. Loucks postmaster of the city of York, in
which office he served Uncle Sam most faith-
fully, and to the general satisfaction, until Feb-
ruary, 1906.

Mr. Loucks was married to Miss Emma L.
Zeigler, a daughter of the late Rev. Daniel
Zeigler, of the Reformed Church. To this mar-
riage six children were born, all of whom, with
the devoted mother, have passed into the "Bet-
ter Land." The children were: Daniel Henry,
Charles A., Eva, Nettie H., Grace and Mary.
All of them died when very young except Net-
tie, who entered into rest in 1892. at the most
interesting age of sixteen years. The mother's
death occurred some ten years previous to that
of her little daughter, on Jan. 12, 1882.

If there is any one thing more than another
of which Mr. Loucks has reason to be proud
it is the fact that he voluntarily became one
of the defenders of his countrv at the opening
of the Civil war. On April 16, 1861, one day
after Lincoln's call to arms, he enlisted in Com-
pany K, 2d Pa. Vol. Infy.. and was notified bv
Gov. Andrew G. Curtin to report for duty on



April 17th. So, at the age of twenty-one, he
found himself placed on guard duty along the
line of the Northern Central railroad in Mary-
land. He enlisted for three months and at the
end of that period received an honorable dis-
charge at Harrisburg, on July 25, 1861. While
in the service he contracted a serious illness, and
as a result for many months was entirely in-
capacitated; in fact, he has never fully recov-
ered from his disability^ Mr. Loucks, as has
been intimated, is the proud possessor of a
medal of honor given him by the State of Penn-
sylvania, for having been one of the "First
Defenders." He is a member of Sedgwick
Post, No. 37, G. A. R. In politics he is an
earnest worker in the ranks of the Republican
party, and in religion, belongs to the Reformed
Church. Augustus Loucks was not permitted
to serve the entire four years of the Civil war,
but showed the true ring of patriotism and did
his duty well. His life has been that of a loyal
American citizen, and as such he is greatly es-
teemed in the city of York.

JEREMIAH Z. HILDEBRAND is an-
other of the strong men of Pennsylvania who
have risen into prominence through the sheer
force of their own industry and ambitions. He
was born Jan. 4, 1841, and comes from one of
the very old families of this part of the State.
His great-grandfather was Casper Hildebrand,
a resident of this part of the State during the
war of the Revolution, and a man of wealth.
During the war of 1812 his son Casper was a
resident of Springfield township, where he
owned a farm. He had the following children :
One daughter who married Daniel Walter;
Frederick ; John ; Daniel and Henry, soldiers
in the war of 1812; Peter; Casper, and Joseph.

Daniel Hildebrand, the grandfather of
Jeremiah Z., was born in Springfield township,
where he was reared, and lived there until his
death. He was a prosperous man of his day
and married Margaret Pflieger. who was born
in North Codorus township. They had these
children: William; Joseph, a shoemaker and
fanner: Manasses, a wheelwright; Daniel, a
shoemaker; Caroline, who married John Ehr-
hart ; and Rebecca, who married Jacob Hamm.

A\'illiam Hildebrand was born in 1816 and
his death occurred in April. 1882. He was a
shoemaker bv trade, but most of his life was



To8



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



spent in farming, first in Washington township,
and later in Springfield township, where he
owned and operated a farm of lOO acres. He
was a member of the German Reformed Church '
of which his parents were also members. He
married Miss Catherine Zellers, who was born
in North Codorus township, in 1818, daughter
of Daniel Zellers, and her death occurred in
1901. She became the mother of the following
children: Jeremiah Z., our subject; Catherine,
who died in childhood; William, who died in
January, 1881, in Kansas, where he had fol-
lowed farming; and Ida, who married E. R.
Krout, of Loganville.

Jeremiah Z. Hildebrand was born in 1841,
in Springfield township, from where his par-
ents moved to Washington township, York
county, where he remained fourteen years, at
the end of that time returning to Springfield
township. He received his education in the
York county schools, the York County Apa-
demy, and at Cottage Hill College, and mean-
time, when in his seventeenth year, began
teaching school. By teaching, which he fol-
lowed ten terms, he earned the money which
carried him through the academy and college.
In 1869 Mr. Hildebrand embarked in the mer-
cantile business at Glatfelter Station, and from
there removed to Wellsville. where he spent two
years in a general store. He then located in
Goldsboro, wdiere he was for five years engaged
in a mercantile line. He then spent five
months in York, returning to Wellsville for
two years, after which he returned to Golds-
boro and purchased property upon which he
built a residence and storeroom. Here he con-
ducted a general merchandise establishment un-
til 1885, in that year retiring from active busi-
ness to live in York. For three years he lived
in the Fifth ward, after which he located in the
Ninth ward, where he has since made his home.
Mr. Hildebrand owns a fine farm in AVest Man-
chester township, which he operated for many
years, the management of which he has lately
given up. He takes a considerable interest in
fruit culture.

Since 1856 Mr. Hildebrand has been in-
terested in politics. He has been verv active
in the work of the Democratic partv, and in
April, 1902. was appointed to fill a vacancy in
the office of county commissioner, being elect-
ed the same fall for the term of three vears. He



has made his presence felt on the board, and
believes in honest dealing in both public and
private life, attributing his success to honesty
in all matters.

Mr. Hildebrand was married Sept. 17,
1865, to Miss Lovina Holtzapple, daughter of
Adam Holtzapple. Mrs. Hildebrand was born
in West Manchester township, and became the
mother of two children : ^Martha died in child-
hood ; Ida Victoria became the wife of Daily
Buser, a clerk in Wiest's mercantile establish-
ment, and they had four children, Jeremiah W..
Philip (deceased), Richard F., and Norman
(deceased). Mr. Hildebrand has been active in
church work in this section, being a charter
member of Grace Reformed Church of York,
and serving on the official board for a number
of years. .He and his wife reside at No. 540
West Market street, York, and are highly re-
spected in that city.

JOHN FERDINAND KLINEDINST,
M. D., was born in York Dec. 2-j. 1866, and
received his early education in the public
schools. As a youth he obtained employment
in a drug store, and after two years there en-
tered the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy,
where he spent a year in study. He then began
the study of medicine with Dr. Jacob Hay, and
entered the medical department of the Univer-
sity of Maryland, in Baltimore, from which he
was graduated April 20, 1889. He soon es-
tablished himself in practice in York, making
a specialty of diseases of the eye, ear. nose and
throat. Great success has attended his work,
and he has established a large practice. On
April 20, 1898, Dr. Klinedinst married Chris-
tine Gminder, whose father, Jacob, a manufac-
turer of military goods, died in 1900. Three
children have been born to this union, as fol-
lows : Herman W., Margaret E. and Helen.

Dr. Klinedinst is not only a skillful and
popular physician, but an active citizen and
earnest church member. He is a member and
treasurer of the York Coimty ]\Iedical Society,
and a member of the State and the Americin
Medical Associations. He is an ex-member of
the board of pension examiners, on which he
served five years ; and is eye, ear and throat
surgeon for the York hospital. He has served
several years as a member of the Ixiard nf
school control of York. He is a member of St.



BIOGRAPHICAL



109



Paul's Lutheran Church, in the work of wwicii
ne IS actively interested.

CHARLES A. MAY, attorney-at-law, is a
native of YorK county, and has been practicing
law in York for the past two yeirs. He is of
Scotch-Irish ancestry, a strain to which York
county owes much 01 its best citizenship nuw
as in earlier times.

Charles A. May was born in Hanover, York
county, Oct. 5, 1878, son of Noah C. and Rosa
(Gallatin) May. His mother's mother was
Anna May Spangler, a member of the larg'e and
influential family whose history is recorded in
the interesting and voluminous publication,
"Spangler's Annals." To Noah C. and Rosa
(Gallatin) May, were born three children, as
follows : Charles A. ; John Luther, a student
in the State College; and Edna Blanche, a
member of the class of 1905, York high school.

Charles A. May went through the grammar
and high schools of York, grailuating from the
latter in the class of 1896, after which he at-
tended the York County Academy. He began
the study of law in the oi^ce of Niles & NefT in
1899, and was admitted to the York county
Bar, as practicing attorney, Dec. 22, 1902. He
has since been admitted to the Supreme Court
practice. Mr. May is prominent in fraternal
and social circles, being a member of the
Knights of Pythias, the Royal Arcanum; and
York Lodge No. 213, B. P. O. E. He also
belongs to the Riverside Outing Club, the Cal-
umet Club, and the York County Historical
Society. He belongs to the Union Lutheran
Church. In politics, he, like his father, is a
stanch Republican. His father has for some-
time been alderman of the Fifth ward of York.

JOHN EDGAR SMALL, who is a well
known attorney of York, and active in the so-
cial and professional life of that city, comes of
a family that has long been influential in York
county. His father was John H. Small, who
died July 11. 1902. president of the Billmeyer
& Small Company, a firm of car builders of ex-
tensive reputation. John H. Small was a son
of Henry Small, a lumber merchant who trad-
ed as H. Small & Sons. He was a member of
the First Presbyterian Church, and was pres-
ident of the board of trustees for many years ;
was vice-president of the First NationalBank



for many years ; was a director of the Alexican
National Railway Company, and of the Key-
stone i^oal Company tor many years, and was
identified with many other prominent enter-
prises. Mr. Small was thrice married, his third
\vife being Margaret A. McKinnon, a daughter
of Michael McKinnon, a farmer and tanner of
Lhanceford township, York county. The only
child born of Mr. Small's first marriage was
Henry J., and Maggie H. was born of tiie sec-
ond union. The former studied with Liszt and
became a professor in the Leipzig Conserva-
tory of Music. He married in Germany, where
he died at the early age of thirty-four, after a
ten years' residence, leaving a widow and one
child. Maggie H. Small first married Walter
Spahr, and her son, H. S. Spahr, is a student
in the Belmont School in California. She con-
tracted a second marriage in November, 1904,
with J. C. Bannister, of California. The chil-
dren of John H. and Margaret A. (McKin-
non) Small were as follows: Mabel, wife of
Walter F. Myers, member of the firm of T. A.
Myers & Co., of York, and president of the
York Valley Lime Company; Fred M., treas-
urer and general manager of the York Candy
Manufacturing Company; Catherine E. (a
graduate of York Collegiate Institute) and
Lucy Logue, both living at home; and John
Edgar.

John Edgar Small was horn in York Dec.
3, 1874, and received his early education in
York Collegiate Institute. He attended the
Hill school at Pottstown, and then entered the
law department of Yale University, from which
he graduated in 1897. He was at once admitted
to legal practice in both the lower and Supreme
courts of Connecticut, and in 1808 was admit-
ted to the Bar of York county, and the Supreme
court of Pennsvlvania. ]Mr. Small is secretarv
of the York Valley Lime Company, is a mem-
ber of the Country Club, and a member and sec-
retary of the Outdoor Club. In politics he is
.1 Republican. He is connected with the First
Presbyterian Church of York, and actively in-
terested in the Sunday-school, in which he is
a teacher.

KELL. The Kell family of York was es-
tablished in that city in 18^6. by James Kell,
a native of Youngstown, ^^^estmoreland Co.,
Pa. ]\Ir. Kell was born Dec. 14, 1828, his par-



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



ents, Samuel and Alargaret (jNIears) Kell, be-
ing of Scotch-Irish descent. His mother was a
native of Frankhn county, Pa., where much of
his youth was passed. After coming to York
Mr. Kell taught school for several years, then
read law with Henry L. Fisher, Esq., and was
admitted to the Bar Jan. lo, 1862. From that
time until within a few months before his death
Jvuie 4, 1899, he was engaged in the successful
practice of his profession.

James Kell married, March 19, 1862, Jane
Elizabeth Fischer, daughter of Dr. John Frey
Fischer, of York. Mrs. Kell is still living in
the home at No. 134 North George street, where
she was born March 19, 1837. She is one of
the few persons in York, of her age, who have
lived a w'hole lifetime in the same house, and
she has seen the neighborhood change from a
residence district to one given almost entirely
to business houses. The children of Mr. and
Mrs. Kell are as follows : John Fischer ; James
Alexander; Helen M., a teacher in the Chil-
dren's Home; Mary C, of Washington, D. C. ;
William S., of Philadelphia; Alfred M., en-
gaged in the law office of his brother (John
Fischer) ; Jane F., a teacher in the York pub-
lic schools ; and Eliza K.

Mr. Kell had two sisters : Rachel K., wife
of Hugh W. McCall, Esq., mother of James St.
Clair McCall, the present mayor of York, and
Mary E., who taught in the York high school
from^ the time of its organization" in September,
1870, until the spring of 1904; for some years
prior to her retirement. Miss Kell was the in-
structor in German.

For forty years prior to 1899 James Kell
was a prominent figure in the public affairs of
York. He was for many years the Republican
leader in the county, and at different times oc-
cupied various public offices. During the late
sixties he w-as president of the Union Fire En-
gine Company on North George street. He was
at one time school director of the old North
ward school district ; and was one of the origi-
nal trustees of the Children's Home (founded
in 1865) and of the York Collegiate Institute
(established in 1873), organizations which he
continued to serve until his death. He was the
Republican nominee for additional law judge
in 1875, at the first election held for that of-
fice, when the successful candidate was Hon.
Pere L. Wickes. In 1877, ^^ '^^''^^ appointed



Register of Wills of York county by Gov.
Hartranft; and he was postmaster at York
from 1884 to 1888. Fraternally he was con-
nected with York Lodge, No. 266, Free and
Accepted Masons, of which he was past mas-
ter. He and all his family were members of
the First Presbyterian Church of York.

John Fischer Kell, eldest son of James
Kell, was born at the family home in York, Jan.
30, 1863. He attended the public schools, and
took supplementary studies at York Collegiate
Institute, after which he read law with his fath-
er. He was admitted to the Bar in York coun-
ty July 14, 1884, and later admitted to prac-
tice in the Supreme, Superior and United
States Courts.

On April 19, 1888, Mr. Kell married Ella
Louisa Brown, daughter of John M. Brown, of
the firm of Brown & Smyser, retail coal and
lumber dealers. The one child of this union
is John Fischer, Jr., who is at school. Mr.
Kell is a successful lawyer, and enjoys a large
and lucrative practice. He is a man of kindly
and affable disposition, always ready to en-
courage and assist those less fortunate than
himself.

James Alexander Kell, second son of
James Kell, w^ born June 22, 1866, and re-
ceived his early education in the York public
schools. He was graduated from York Col-
legiate Institute in 1885, studied law in his
father's office, and was admitted to the York
county Bar Nov: 11, 1890. In 1892 he entered
the employ of the Bradstreet Mercantile
Agency, with whom he remained nine years.
He was chiefly engag-ed in the business of this
company in Philadelphia, but from 1895 to
1897 was superintendent of the Augusta, Ga.,
office. He is now a resident of Germantown,
Philadelphia, where he is connected with the
Title and Trust Department of the German-
town Trust Company.

Mr. Kell married June 11, 1903, Anne Em-
len Garrett, daughter of Isaac P. and Sarah E.
Garrett, of Lansdowne, Delaware Co., Pa.,
members of the Society of Friends. Mr. Kell
is a member of Social Lodge No. i. Masons,
of Augaista, Ga. He belongs to the Pennsylva-
nia Society of Sons of the Revolution, and is
a member of the Historical Society of York
County. ,



BIOGRAPHICAL



ALFRED MEARS KELL, a rising young-
business man of York, who fills the position
of manager of the collection department, for
his brother, John Fischer Kell, mention of
whom precedes, was born July i8, 1876, in
York, son of James Kell, Esq.

After finishing his education Alfred i\L Kell
spent one year in the office of his father, after
which he engaged in patternmaking with
Broomell, Schmidt & Steac)^, with whom he
remained three and one-half years, at the end
of which time he became connected \^■ith the
York Safe Works, resigning his position there
to go to Harrisburg. Returning to York, Mr.
Kell entered upon his duties as collector in the
law offices of his brothers, where in addition
to his collection work he pursues the study of
the law.

Fraternally Mr. Kell is affiliated with Zere-
datha Lodge, No. 451, F. & A. M. ; with Willis
Council, No. 508, Royal Arcanum ; and with
York Lodge, No. 213, B. P. O. Elks.' He is a
consistent member of the Presbyterian Church.
In politics he favors the Republican party.

Mr. Kell married, Oct. 14, 1903, Miss Edna
Agnue Geesey, daughter of Charles Geesey, a
prominent member of the Blair county Bar.
Mr. Kell is well known throughout York and
is highly regarded for his many estimable traits
of character.

JOHN FISCHER. Among the substan-
tial citizens of "Yorktown" during the Revo-
lutionary period was John Fischer, who was
born in Pfeffing, Swabia, Germany, June 4,
1736, emigrated to America about 1749, and
removed to York, Pa., about 1756. He resid-
ed at No. 7 (now Nos. i5-»7) North George
street where he died Dec. 8, 1808. He was mar-
ried in Baltimore, Md., July 19, 1766, to Bar-
bara Lightner (daughter of Adam Lightner
and Anna Barbara Beard), who was born at
No. 13 North George street, York, Pa., Dec.



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 21 of 201)