Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 22 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 22 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


7, 1749, and died Dec. 24, 1832. The remains
of John Fischer and his wife are buried in Zion
Lutheran Churchyard, directly in the rear of
the York county court house.

Mr. Fischer was of an inventive turn of
mind, possessed considerable mechanical abil-
ity, was a carver in wood and a painter of mer-
it ; but his business was that of manufacturing
clocks, and there are still to be found in many



homes of York specimens of his handicraft,
familiarly known as "grandfather" clocks. As
he lived within a few yards of the old court
house in Center Square, where the Continental
Congress met in 1777, during the British oc-
cupancy of Philadelphia, he became acquainted
with prominent men who \-isited the town at
that period, among others General Gibson and
Count Pulaski, who presented him with sub-
stantial tokens of their regard, which are still
in the possession of the family. He was a
strong-minded man, of many attainments. He
had three children, viz. : George, John and
Charles F.

( 1 ) George Fischer married ]\Iary M.
Frey, of Lancaster, Pa., and had ten children,
whose descendants are living in different parts
of the country.

(2) John Fischer, born May 10, 1771,
married Catharine Frey, of Lancaster, Pa. He
was a successful physician, and lived at No. 21
North George street, where he died Feb. 14,
1832. His wife was born Feb. 22, 1776, and
died Aug. 6, 1855. Their children were: Ja-
cob A. Fischer, a lawyer by profession, ad-
mitted to the York County Bar, ]\Iarch 28,
1822, never married. E. Eliza Fischer mar-
ried George P. Kurtz, and was the mother of
Miss Catharine Fischer Kurtz and Miss Amelia
Margaret Kurtz, who still live at the old home-
stead on North George street. Dr. John Frey
Fischer, born April 24, 1808, a graduate of
Jefferson Medical College, was a physician
of local prominence, a well-read man generally,
and active in local affairs. He married Mary
Ann Cobean, who was born in Gettysburg, Pa.,
Nov. 13, 18 10. He died Jan. 21, 1862, as a
result of injuries received by the fall of a large
derrick which was used in raising the large
flag-pole in Center Square, York, April 29,
1861. His wife died Feb. 11, 1847. Dr. John
F. Fischer was the father of Mrs. Maria Dritt
Lochman, widow of Dr. Luther M. Lochman;
Mrs. Jane F. Kell, widow of James Kell, Esq.,
of York; and William C. Fischer, deceased.

(3) Charles F. Fischer, born Aug. 3.
1783, was in the copper-smithing business,
which was quite an extensive trade in York in
those days. He died Aug. 26, 1842. His wife
was Hellenah Dorothy Spangler, who was born
June 24, 1789, and died May 15, 1842. They
had three children, but all their descendants are



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



dead except their grandson, Charles F. De-
muth, of Des Moines, Iowa.

Ihere are now no descendants of John
Fischer, clockmaker, hving in York, Pa., bear-
ing the surname of Fischer, but his great-grand-
daughters, the Misses Kurtz, Mrs. Lochman
and Mrs. Kell, above named, are residents here.

SPENCER DOYLE WAREHEIM is a
native of Glen Rock, Pa., and was born Oct.
6, 1877. His paternal grandparents, George
Wareheim and Abie (Armacost) Wareheim,
lived on a farm in Carroll county, Md., where
his father, Edward A. Wareheim, was born.
His great-grandfather, Edward Armacost,
was a veteran of the War of 181 2, being
engaged in the defense of Baltimore. His fath-
er, after graduating at the New York Hom-
eopathic Medical College and Hospital, re-
moved to Glen Rock, Pa., where he practiced
his profession until his death, on July 13, 1898.

His maternal grandparents, Jonathan Faust
and Elizabeth (Deveney) Faust, were resi-
dents of Pennsylvania, having first lived in
Shrewsbury township, York county, and later
at Glen Rock.

To the marriage of Edward A. and Achsah
(Faust) Wareheim five children were born;
two of these, Carroll and Abie, died in infancy ;
those living are: Spencer D., the subject of
this sketch ; Guernsey G., a graduate from the
Dental Department of the University of Mary-
land, and now a practitioner of dentistry in Bal-
timore City ; and Grover Faust, a student at
Franklin and Marshall College, at Lancaster,
Pa., class of 1906.

Spencer Doyle Wareheim received his pre-
liminary education in the public schools of
Glen Rock and the York Collegiate Institute at
York, Pa., later attending Franklin and Mar-
shall College, at Lancaster, Pa. He graduated
from the latter institution as one of the ten
honor men, in the class of 1899. He then at-
tended the Harvard Law School, and later read
with Joseph R. Strawbridge, at York, Pa. He
was admitted to practice on Jan. 18, 1904.

In politics our subject is a Democrat. Of
fraternal orders he affiliates with the Masons.
His religious persuasion is Lutheran.

DAVID S. COOK, of Wrightsville, York
countv, is a well-to-do iron manufacturer



with large business interests in different places,
and he is a prominent man in social, fraternal
and church circles.

James Cook, father of David S., was born
in Chester county, Pa., Sept. 24, 181 1. He
had few opportunities, and began his life like
hundreds of other poor boys. He learned the
blacksmith's trade in Wilmington, Del., where
Messrs. Harlan and Hollingsworth, of the af-
terward noted firm of Harlan & Hollingsworth,
of Wilmington, were apprentices with him.
Mr. Cook married, in Chester county, Martha
Stackhouse, of an old family of Morristown,
N. J., where her girlhood was spent. Mrs.
Cook's father was David Stackhouse, a farmer,
who spent his later life in Chester county. Pa.
He lived and died a Quaker, and is buried in
the New Garden cemetery in Chester county,
belonging to one of the largest Quaker congre-
gations in Pennsylvania.

In 1856 James Cook moved his family to
Wrightsville, where he bought the Baker in-
terests in the firm of Baker, Hillis & Co., lime
burners. Later Mr. Cook bought still larger
interests in the concern, which did business for
many years under the firm name of Cook &
Hillis. In those days the only means of trans-
portation for merchandise of any sort was by
canal boat. Mr. Cook continued to be actively
engaged in business until 1873, and his death
occurred in 1876, when he was sixty-four years
of age. His wife lived to be ninety-two years
old, and her twin sister, Mary, who made a
home with her, lived to the age of ninety-three.
Mr. and Mrs. Cook were brought up in the
Quaker faith, and adhered to it through life.
Mr. Cook was an old time Whig, and later a
Democrat ; he served as school director for sev-
eral years. He \\-«s one of the organizers of
the Wrightsville Bank, of which he was a di-
rector many vears. His children were : Mary,
who died at the age of nine; and David S., of
this sketch.

David S. Cook was born in Chester county,
near Wilmington, Del, in October, 1838,
and when he was eighteen his parents
moved to Wrightsville. He attended
school in Chester county and Millers-
ville, and was graduated from the Mil-
lersville Normal School with the class of
i860. His preceptor was Prof. J. P. Wick-
ersham, a cousin of his father's, who for many
years was state superintendent of schools. On





\ \^ f



BIOGRAPHICAL



"3



leaving school Mr. Cook entered the employ
of his father in Wrightsville, but soon branched
out for himself as a coal merchant. He handled
Wyoming Valley coal, which was all trans-
ported by canal boat. Later he bought out his
father's partner, Jesse Hillis, of Havre de
Grace, Md., and after his father's death con-
tinued to carry on the business alone for some
time. He then formed a partnership with the
Kerr brothers and Mr. Weitzel, which con-
tinued a number of years. The Wrightsville
Iron Company, William McConkey, president,
and David S. Cook, secretary and general man-
ager, was organized in 1866. Mr. Cook sup-
erintended the building of the plant, and re-
mained in the business until 1872. He then
went to Botetourt county, Va., and built a
smelting furnace; this he soon sold, and built
another, and the town of Glen Wilton, Va.,
named in honor of Mr. Cook's son of that
name, has grown up around the industry thus
established, and in which ]\Ir. Cook is still
actively interested. The Glen Wilton plant
was incorporated in 1900, under the laws of
New Jersey, Mr. Cook being president, and his
son, Wilton, secretary and treasurer. Mr.
Cook has large interests also in the Susque-
hanna Casting Co., which he and his nephew,
Ralph Wilton, established in the fall of 1899.

Mr. Cook married (first) in Wrightsville,
Caroline, daughter of Henry Wilton, and they
had two children : Mary, who died when four
years old ; and Wilton. Wilton Cook was born
in Wrightsville in 1868, attended the public
schools, and Prof. Meig's school at Pottstown,
Pa., became clerk in his father's employ, and
then a partner. He married Ora Heppenstall,
and their one living child is Marion.

Mr. Cook married (second) Margaret Mc-
Conkey, of Wrightsville, daughter of William
and sister of Senator E. K. McConkey, of York
(a sketch of whom appears elsewhere). No
children have been born to this union. Mr.
Cook has been for ten years president of the
Wrightsville Bank, of which he is an original
stockholder : he and his father were among the
organizers of this bank, and both were direc-
tors. Mr. Cook is connected with Riverside
Lodge, No. 503, F. & A. M., Wrightsville ; the
Chapter and the Commandery, Columbia. He
joined the chapter in 1872, and the command-
ery the following year. He is a member of
the Presbyterian Church, and is chairman of
the board of trustees.



REINHARDT DEMPWOLF. A hrm
well and favorably known throughout eastern
Pennsylvania and Alaryland is that of Demp-
woli Brothers, architects, of York. .\iauy
monuments to their genius exist throughout
the territory contiguous to York, and their
work has also received recognition in other
States. Both gentlemen are natives of Ger-
many, but were reared in York, where their
parents settled m 1867. Their father, Charles
Dempwolf, was a millwright by occupation. He
married iXiiss Wilhelmina Beaker, ot Germany,
and they came from Germany to America in
1867, settling in York, where the father died
in 1882, at the age of sixty-seven; the mother's
death occurred some time before.

Reinhardt Dempwolf was born in Germany
in 1861. His education was received in the
York County Academy and the York Colle-
giate Institute. Later he went to Philadelphia,
where he studied sculpture for three years, and
after returning to York, where he spent a year
or so, Mr. Dempwolf decided to complete his
education in Europe. So in Paris, the mecca
of American students of art, he took up the
study of architecture, remaining in that city
four years. After finishing his work there he
returned to York, where he became an assist-
ant to his brother, a well-known architect, in
whose business he is now established.

In 1896 Mr. Dempwolf was united in mar-
riage with Miss Nellie Scharzberger, the elder
daughter of a well-known retired farmer, Ed-
ward Scharzberger, of York county.

Reinhardt Dempwolf is a gentleman of
pleasant and engaging personality and is a
member of society much thought of in York.
He is very popular among the young people and
has taken a decided interest in their welfare
during the years past. In his position as vice-
president of the Y. j\I. C. A. for the last ten
years he has wielded a powerful influence for
good among the young men, and as a teacher
in the Sunday-school of Christ Lutheran
Church he has also done much to foster and
strengthen the high moral tone of the com-
munity. He takes but little interest in politics,
but supports the Democratic party with his
vote and is pleased to aid in its success.

. JONATHAN JESSOP. There are few
men in Yofk better or more favorably known
than Jonathan Jessop. A descendant of one of



114



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



her uldest and most honorable families, a vet-
eran of the Civil war, postmaster of the city for
eighteen years immediately following that
great event, and for the past twenty years one
of the leadmg insurance men of the city, he
combines pomts which make him a character
almost inseparable from the city itself.

Mr. Jessop is not able to give names when
speaking of the earlier members of the family,
but he has knowledge of their having been in
America from the earliest Colonial times, and
having resided just prior to the Revolutionary
war in the vicinity of Guilford Court House,
N. C. Here his great-grandfather owned a
farm, on which was fought the battle known in
history as the battle of Guilford Court House,
which event was witnessed by his grandfather,
Jonathan, then a lad in his teens. Soon after
this battle it appears that Jonathan left home
and came to York county, Pa., where he was
apprenticed to a famous clockmaker by the
name of Samuel Kirk, some of whose "grand-
father's clocks" are yet to be found in the coun-
try. Jonathan Jessop became famous as a
clockmaker, also, and passed the remainder of
his days in the county engaged in that occupa-
tion. He lived to the extreme old age of ninety
years, dying in 1856.

Edward Jessop, son of Jonathan, was a
prosperous farmer of the county, and also had
extensive business interests in Baltimore, Md.,
being interested in a hardware store there, and
making weekly visits to that point. He mar-
ried Mary H. Newbold, daughter of Samuel
Newbold, a farmer of Philadelphia county. To
this marriage ten children were born, one of
whom, William, died at the age of t\venty-one
vears, and Frank (married), died in 1878.
Those living are as follows: Elizabeth, wife
of A. B. Farquhar, the widely known manu-
facturer of York; Charles, who has charge of
an ice plant at Birmingham, Ala.; Jonathan,
subject of this sketch; Samuel, retired; Han-
nah, wife of Isaac Cover, of Boston, Mass.;
Caroline, widow of Samuel I. Adams, formerly
of the firm of Myers, Adams & Co. of York;
Alfred, superintendent of the plow department
of the' Columbus (Ga.) Iron Company; and
Jeanette, wife of Judson Kuney, of Hornbrook,
Cal., division superintendent of the railroad
running from San Francisco to Portland, Ore-
gon.

Jonathan Jessop was born in Baltimore,



May 12, 1842, but was reared in York county.
He was given a good education, completing
courses at the York Academy, after which he
went to Baltimore and for a time was em-
ployed in his father's store. Returning to
iork county he worked on the home farm until
he entered the army. This was in 1863, just
as he had reached his majority. He joined the
187th P. V. 1., as second Lieutenant of Com-
pany B., and was serving in this position be-
lore Petersburg when the loss of a leg, on June
18, 1864, necessitated his discharge from the
army. Having thus sealed his loyalty to the
flag by the giving of his life's blood, i\lr. Jes-
sop returned home, and, after recuperating his
strength, took up the burden of life as an em-
ployee in the Pennsylvania ' Agricultural
Works. Howe\-er, he was not long connected
with this company, as in 1865 he received from
President Johnson the appointment of post-
master of York. For eighteen years he per-
formed the duties of this office faithfully and
well. In 1884 Mr. Jessop, on leaving the post-
office, engaged, in the real estate and insurance
business, having purchased that business from
Kirk White.

Mr. Jessop was married in October, 1870,
to Anna M. Lochman, daughter of the late
Rev. A. H. Lochman, D. D., who for fifty years
was pastor of Christ Lutheran Church of
York. To this union were born five children ;
John L., with the Carnegie Steel Company, at
Homestead, Pa. ; Mary Emily and Susan H.,
both at home; Edward, with the Pennsjdvania
Railway" Company, in Altoona, Pa. ; and George
A., with the S. Morgan Smith's Sons Company
waterwheel manufacturers. Fraternally Mr.
Jessop affiliates with the Heptasophs and the
Royal Arcanum. His religious views are those
embodied in the Quaker faith. He is. of course,
a dyed-in-the-wool Republican, and as such
was elected to the common council of York
from the Second ward, serving one term. The
life which he has lived in York has been filled
with earnest devotion to duty, his charity, his
kindliness of heart and his sympathetic helpful-
ness having become proverbial.

CHARLES F. KEECH. Realty is the
basis of all security, and the basis of security
in real estate transactions is found in the knowl-
edge and probitv of those through whom they
are conducted. Holding, by reason of pru-



BIOGRAPHICAL



dence, integrity and signal ability, a ■ position
of prominence among the real estate dealers and
conveyancers of York county, Mr. Keech may
be considered one of the representative busi-
ness men of the city of York. He is a native of
York county, a member of one of its old and
honored families, and a popular alderman.

Charles F. Keech was born on the home
farm, in York township, York Co., Pa., Jan.
27, 1848, and is a son of John S. and Mary
(Weitkamp) Keech, the former of whom was
born in Chester county, this State, March 25,
1824, while the latter was a native of York
county, her birthyear being 183 1. Her fa-
ther, Henry Weitkamp, was one of the sterling
pioneers of the county. The father of Charles
F. Keech came to York county in his youth
and eventually became one of the substantial
farmers and influential citizens of York town-
ship, where he served for fifty years as justice
of the peace. In politics he was a stalwart
Democrat, while both he and his wife were
members of the Moravian Church. Her death
occurred in 1900. Of the nine children born
to them all are living.

Charles F. Keech was reared on the home
farm, and after completing the curriculum of
the township schools entered the York County
Academy, at the county seat, where he contin-
ued his studies for two years, after which he was
for one year a student in the Cottage Hill Nor-
mal School, where he duly prepared himself
for successful pedagogic work. After leaving
the Normal he taught in the public schools and
followed this vocation for ten successive terms,
five of which were passed in the schools of his
native county. He made an excellent record
in the educational field and continued to teach
until 1884. In the year named he established
his present business in the city of York, where
he has built up a flourishing enterprise in the
handling of real estate of all kinds, having at
all times many desirable investments represent-
ed on his books. He also makes a specialty of
conveyancing, the collection of rentals, etc. In
politics Mr. Keech is an uncompromising ad-
vocate of Democracy and has taken a zealous
interest and an influential part in the further-
ance of its cause. In 1884 he was chosen to the
ofTfice of justice of the peace, since which year
he has been continuously elected to that posi-
tion. He has been selected four times to rep-
resent the 8th ward as alderman, securing a



large and gratifying majority on each occasion,
his last term expu'uig m May, 1906.

On May 10, 1S68, was solemnized the mar-
riage of Mr. Iveecn to Miss Amelia E. Immel,
who was born and reared in York county,
daughter of John and Mary Immel, residents of
Spring Garden township, where Mr. Immel is
a substantial and influential farmer. Mr. and
Mrs. Keech ha\'e se\'en children, namely : John
I., farming on the old homestead at Spry,
York township ; Robert R., with Morgan E.
Gipe; Morgan S., with the Rapid Transit Com-
pany in Philadelphia; Leonard H., with Mc-
Clellan & Gotwalt; Nevin H., who served in
the Spanish- American war, at Porto Rico, and
now a stone-cutter in York ; Ralph Ward, with
McLean Bros., and Mary Edith, at home.

WILLIAM SHEARER WANNER is
prominently engaged in the leaf tobacco trade
in York, Pa. He was born in Ohio, Nov., 5,
1856, and is a brother of Nevin M. Wanner,
Esq., whose sketch will be found elsewhere in
this volume.

William S. Wanner received his education
in the public schools of York, to which city
his people had removed. His first occupation
was clerking for P. A. & S. Small, and
his next position was that of mailing
clerk in the postoffice, under James B.
Small. After filling that office with great ef-
ficiency for four years he engaged in the leaf
tobacco trade. This was in August, 1903, and
the business has since grown to fine propor-
tions. Mr. Wanner has his sample room and
office in the Small building, on East Market
street, and his store room, with a capacity of
three hundred cases, is on Mason alley. He is
also interested in a packing house in Ohio,
dealing, as he does, almost exclusively in West-
ern tobaccos.

Mr. Wanner was married Nov. 20, 1884,
to Carrie Stair, daughter of Philip Stair, de-
ceased, who was a well-known lumber mer-
chant of York. Three children were born to
this union: Ethel, a graduate of the York
high school ; Myra. at the York high school,
class of 1907; and William S., Jr., also at
school. Mr. Wanner, who is a most genial gen-
tleman, is connected fraternally with the Ar-
tisans aird the Royal Arcanum. His religious
affiliations are with the Episcopal Church. In
politics he is a Democrat.



ii6



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



CHARLES S. WHITE, a well-known and
efficient detective in Pennsylvania, is a son oi
T. Kirk White, who was born in Maryland.

Mr. White's father located in York, where
he became state agent of the Phoenix Assur-
ance Company, of London, for the District of
Columbia, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia
and Pennsylvania. He established the firm of
White & Jessop, insurance agents. Mr. White
died Jan. 2, 1901, aged over seventy-six years,
and his partner, Jonathan Jessop, continued
the business, particular reference to whom will
be found elsewhere. Charles S. White's mother
was Susan Jane Smith, of Strasburg, Lancaster
county, who died in 1896, aged seventy-two
years. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. T.
Kirk White were: Mary A., who was the wife
of Thomas F. Owen, of York, and is deceased ;
Walter B., an insurance agent; George C, a
traveling man, of Baltimore, Md. ; Harry C,
of Harrisburg, a detective; and Charles S., of
York, Pennsylvania.

Charles Smith White was born April 12.
1862, in York, was educated in the Collegiate
Institute and the York County Academy, and
after leaving school learned upholstering, pur-
suing that business for ten years. His next
venture was in the theatrical business, and
after five years on the stage as a song and dance
man, and Irish comedian, Mr. White became a
commercial traveler for four years. In April,
1898, he established his detective agency, which
is now known all over the country.

The ability of Mr. White as an officer was
fully recognized when, after a service of five
years, he -was licensed by the court to do de-
tective work, and was at once made chief of
the detective service of York city. It was De-
tective White who arrested A. J. Glasgow, the
sanctimonious horse thief of Millersville, Lan-
caster county, the New York World having
thought the arrest of so much importance as to
illustrate an extended article on the subject,
with pictures of Glasgow, the church he was
attending at the time of his arrest, and Detec-
tive White, who made the arrest. Mr. White
has been specially successful in the detection of
horse thieves, and Capt. Linden, the Pinkertons
and other thief takers regard him as one of the
best horse thief detectives in the business. He
■has brought more prisoners from other States
than all the other officers of the city and county
of York combined, having brought important



criminals from New York, Virginia, West Vir-
ginia, Maryland, District of Columbia, New
Jersey and Delaware; he brought seven pris-
oners from Maryland in one month. One of
his most notable exploits was the arrest of
five safe blowers in a bunch. Mr. White is in
exchange with the detective bureaus in the
country, .and is as conscientious and reliable as
he is shrewd and speedy in his work. He was
one of the detectives selected to serve at the in-
auguration of President Roosevelt, and while
acting in this capacity had the pleasure of form-
ing the acquaintance of prominent detectives
from all the larger cities of the United States,
who' were detailed to act in a similar manner,
and in the distribution of officers at this time
Mr. White was always among those detailed
to serve in the most important locations.

Mr. White was married Oct. i, 1884, to
Ella M. Keech, daughter of William L. Keech,
a justice of the peace of York, and uncle of the
well-known alderman Keech. One child was



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 22 of 201)