Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 23 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 23 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


born of this union, Pauline Marian, a gradu-
ate of the Woman's College, Maryland.

JOHN K. ZIEGLER, a retired farmer of
North Codorus township, was born in that
township, Oct. 9, 1834, son of John E. and Bar-
bara (Roller) Ziegler. His grandfather, John
Ziegler, born Dec. 18, 1767, was married Nov.
23, 1790, to Katherine Epley, and died July
9, 1845. John Ziegler was the donator of
the land upon which the well-known Ziegler
church — one of the old landmarks of the
county — stands, in North Codorus township,
and with his son John E. helped to build that
edifice. He now rests at the entrance of the
church.

John E. Ziegler was born April 14, 1806,
in North Codorus township, and his wife was
born in Shrewsbury township Jan. 20, 1804.
He was very prominent in farming and busi-
ness circles, and in his death, Nov. 19, 1875,
the community lost a good citizen. His wife
survived until March 20, 1883, and both were
interred at Ziegler's church. They had chil-
dren as follows: Sarah A., born July 24,
1825, married Henry 'Bott; Julianne M., was
born Sept. 11, 1829; Matilda Jane, born Oct.
8, 1832, married Dr. H. K. Weiser, of York,
and they are both deceased; John K., is our
subject; Israel K., born Oct. 22, 1840, married
Ann Maria Stick, and resides in York.




u<.f(-}^



BIOGRAPHICAL



"7



John K. Zieglei- received a common school
education, and assisted his lather in farming.
He now owns considerable property — the old
homestead of 223 acres; an adjoining farm of
123 acres, where he now lives in a home which
his father erected for him ; a seventy-nine acre
tract in Codorus township; and seventeen
acres of woodland.

John K. Ziegler married Elizabeth Shaf-
fer, daughter of Jesse and Elizabeth Shaffer,
of Codorus township, and they had children as
follows : Emma Jane, who is now the wife
of William Stauffer, of Spring Grove; John
C, who married a Miss Hoke, and resides in
North Codorus township; William, deceased;
Paul, unmarried, residing at home; and Allen
W., who married Almenta Kessler, and is oper-
ating the home farm.

Mr. Ziegler is one of the oldest directors
of the York National Bank, having been ap-
pointed a director April 3, 1884. For the past
several years he has lived retired from active
pursuits. In his religious belief he is a Luth-
eran.

CHARLES BRADY PENNYPACKER,
the popular principal of York high school, is
descended from a Dutch family that settled in
Pennsylvania in 1688. Through his own family,
and that of his wife, Mr. Pennypacker is re-
lated to half the families in Lancaster county, a
connection reaching up into the thousands.

The American ancestor of the Pennypackers
was Heinrich Pannebecker, who left his home
in Holland, and settled in what is now Mont-
gomery county, Pa. Grandfather James Pen-
nypacker was born in Chester county, and from
there went to Lancaster county, where he
taught school. He married Philena Yentzer,
of Conestoga Center.

John Pennypacker, father of Charles Brady,
is a leaf tobacco dealer of Mountville, Lancaster
county, who married Martha Getz Brady,
daughter of Charles Brady, a miller of Manor
township, in that county. Four children were
born to this union, one of whom, Philena, died
in infancy. The others are: John, at home;
Ella, wife of Joseph Hoover, a confectioner of
Mountville: and Charles Brady.

On Nov. 16, i86q, Charles Brarlv Penny-
packer was born in Manor tov-nship. Lancaster
county, and as a bov attended tlie nublic schools.
He then entered Franklin and Marshall Col-



lege, and graduated with the class of 1897,
immediately after that coming to York as as-
sistant teacher in the high school. In the
spring of 1902 he was principal of the high
school, and continues to fill that position with
success. Five hundred pupils are enrolled in
the school, and there are fourteen assistant
teachers, of whom five are ladies. This is a
small community in itself, and recjuires no little
executive ability in the governing head to make
it run smoothly and effectively. Mr. Penny-
packer had four years' experience in teaching
laefore coming to York, having taught in West
Hempfield township, Lancaster county, in the
intervals of his studies, before graduating.

Mr. Pennypacker married Elvira Doner
Stehman, daughter of Jonas Garber Stehman,
a retired farmer of Mountville, and one daugh-
ter, Mary Anita, has been born to this union.
The family connection is of enormous propor-
tions, including the Doners, the Stehmans, and
the Herrs of Lancaster county. In politics Mr.
Pennypacker is a Republican. Fraternally he
is connected with the Masons, Odd Fellows,
Knights of Malta and Modern Woodmen. He
is an earnest member of the First United Breth-
ren Church, where h» is superintendent of the
Sunday-school, and ex-officio member of the
board of control,

VINCENT R. WEAVER is. a native of
York, where his grandfather was among the
pioneer settlers. The German Fatherland was
the ancestral home of the Weaver family,
where they were a race of sturdy farmers.
Francis William Weaver, grandfather of Vin-
cent R., came to York (then a borough) from
Germany, and became the owner of the land
now known as "the reservoir district." This
property is now all within the city limits, but
in the day of Grandfather Weaver it was a
farm in a sparsely settled region. The ma-
ternal grandparents of Mr. Weaver were also
of German birth, and settled in York county on
their arrival in this countn,'.

Anthony Weaver, father of A'incent R.,
died Oct. 28, 1905, aged seventy-nine. He
was a carpenter and joiner, and was employed
in the car shops of the Pennsylvania Railway
Co., until the removal of the shops from York.
He married Christiana Riehl. Of the eight
children born to them, two died in infancy.
The living are as follows : Marv C, wife of



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY", PENNSYLVANIA



C. F. Gibson, a carpenter and contractor of
Philadelphia; Clara C., wife of C. D. Smith,
of McSherrystown, Adams county, where he
owns farm lands and quarries ; F. W. employed
in the postal service in Baltimore, Md. ; Lizzie
R., wife of C. F. Smith of York, conductor on
the Pennsylvania railroad; A. Amelia, unmar-
ried ; and Vincent R.

Vincent R. Weaver was born Feb. 5, 1867,
in York, and received his education in the pub-
lic schools of that place. As a young man he en-
tered the Variety Iron Works as an apprentice
to the molder's trade, and after mastering it he
remained with the establishment for twenty
years. During that time he was elected to the
office of county assessor in the Fourth ward for
four terms of three years each. At the end of
ten years, before the expiration of his fourth
term, he resigned the office of county assessor
to accept that of clerk of the courts of York
county. He was elected to the latter position
in November, 1902, for a term of three years,
and assumed' his duties the first Monday in Jan-
uary, 1903,

Mr. Weaver married Cora M. Bond, daugh-
ter of John A. Bond, of Williamsport. In pol-
itics Mr. Weaver is a stanch Democrat. He is
a member of St. Patrick's Catholic Church, be-
mg also well known among the fraternal or-
ders, as he is a member of the Knights of St.
Paul, the Knights of Columbus, the Eagles and
the Foresters of America.

JOHN THOMAS McFALL is the senior
member of the firm of McFall & Son, of York,
hatters and dealers in men's furnishing goods
— a business established by Mr. McFall in the
autumn of 1869. The McFall family is of
Scotch-Irish ancestry, and in days past the
name was spelled MacFall. Many of the fam-
ily are still living in Edinburgh, Scotland,
whence the emigrant ancestor came to America
before the War of the Revolution.

Thomas McFall. father of John Thomas,
was for many years a farmer, but in later life
engaged in the burning and shipping of lime.
He died in 1847, at the early age of thirtv-four.
His wife was Eliza Mensch, daughter of Nich-
olas Mensch, a German Lutheran clergyman,
of Lewisburg, Pa., where he died in 1854' aged
seventy-four years. Of the five children born
to Thomas McFall and his wife, James died in
1894, in his sixtieth year; and Mary A., wife



of Thompson Donachy, a boat builder of Lew-
isburg, Pa., in 1903, at the age of seventy. The
living children are Emma, wife of Eli B. Plum-
mer, of Altoona ; Charles A., a farmer in Union
county; and John Thomas.

On Aug. 25, 1842, John Thomas McFall
was born in Union county, Pa., and educated
in the Lewisburg public schools. After finish-
ing this elementary education he was employed
for ten years as a house painter, and then, in
October, 1869, established his outfitting store
at No. -122 \Vest Market street in York. This
business he still carries on with great success
moving into his present quarters in 1877, and
receiving his son into partnership in 1892.

On June 26, 1866, Mr. McFall married
Mary E. Johns, daughter of Jonas Johns, a
wagon builder of Gettysburg, Pa. Mrs. Mc-
Fall died in July, 1899, aged fifty-nine years.
Three children were born to this union, one of
whom, Mina, died in 1881, at the age of nine
years. Edith M. (Mrs. E. C. Tillman), a
twin sister of Mina, is a resident of Philadel-
phia, Pa. AVayne G. McFall, in business with
his father, was born in York, March 21, 1870,
and is a graduate of the York High School
and York County Academy. Before going
into partnership with his father, in 1892, he
had been employed as stenographer by P. A.
& S. Small.

Mr. McFall has a military, as well as a mer-
cantile record, having enlisted twice in the
Union army during the Civil war. He first
joined the company of Capt. William R.
Thatcher, enlisting from Chester, Delaware
county, about the time of the battle of Antie-
tam, as an emergency man. He afterward en-
listed in Company A, 37th P. V. I., under
Capt. William Frick, serving as second cor-
poral.

Mr. McFall is past master in the Masonic
Order, past high priest of the Chapter, and past
commander of the Commandery, Knights Tem-
plar ; and a member of Zembo Temple, Ancient
Arabic Order of the Mystic Shrine, Harris-
burg. He also belongs to the Royal Arcanum
and the Fraternal Mystic Circle, while his so-
cial connection is with Lafayette Club. York.
In religious faith he is a Lutheran. Politically
he affih'ates with the Democratic party.

WILLIAM HENRY MILLER, of the
shoe firm of W. H. & H. M. Miller of York,



BIOGRAPHICAL



119



comes of a family long settled in that region.
He and his partner, who is also a member of an
old York county family, although of the same
name, are not even remotely related.

Samuel Miller, the grandfather of William
Henry, was born and reared in Conewago
township, York county, and died in A'lanches-
ter township, same county.

LcAvis R. Miller, son of Samuel and father
of William Henry, was also a native of Cone-
wago township. He married Maria Bull,
daughter of Dr. Ross Bull, a physician of wide
reputation. Mr. Miller died in 1866, and a six-
year-old son, John Ross, died the same year.
The surviving children of the family are Anna
E., widow of H. C. Ziegler, of York City, Pa. ;
and William Henry.

The birth of William Henry Miller occur-
red Sept. 18, 1857, in Conewago township, and
he was educated in the public schools of York.
He began his business career as clerk in the
store of Rosenmiller Brothers, where he re-
mained from 1 87 1 to 1877. He then entered
the employ of E. J. Miller, father of his present
partner, a shoe dealer, whose business was es-
tablished in 1866. He was a clerk in this store
until 1888, and then he and H. M. Miller
bought each a third interest in the business. Af-
ter two years of this triple partnership, the sen-
ior member of the firm, E. J. Miller, retired,
and the firm became W. H. & H. M. Miller,
as it remains today. The establishment is lo-
cated in West Market street, and does a thriv-
ing trade.

On June 30, 1881, William Henry Miller
married Sarah J. Yost, daughter of Abraham
and Mary Yost, of Manchester township,
where Mr. Yost was a prominent farmer. The
children of this marriage are Clara E., a gradu-
ate of the York high school, class of 1901, and
a member of the class of 1905 in the Ladies
Seminary, at Norton, Mass. ; and George L., in
the class of 1907, University of Pennsylvania.
In politics Mr. Miller is a Republican, but he
reserves the right to vote independently. He
is a member of St. Paul's Lutheran Church,
where he was a deacon for four years, and
where for twenty years he has been a teacher in
the Sunday-school. He is a member of the
Royal Arcanum and' of the Artisans.

H. M. Miller, partner of William Henry
Miller, comes of an old York county family. His
grandfather was one of the earlv surve\-ors and



school teachers in the county, and his father, E.
J. Miller, established the prosperous shoe house
now owned and carried on by these younger
men.

Mr. Miller was born Dec. 21, 1861, in
Strinestown, York county, and attended the
public schools, and the Eastman Business Col-
lege in Pouglxkeepsie. Pie was a clerk in his
father's store for four years before he became
a partner in the business. Like his partner, he
is an independent Republican in politics. Fra-
ternally he is connected with the Eagles. He
is a member of the Beaver Street [Methodist
Church.

JOSEPH R. MARTIN, M. D., formerly
one of the eminent medical men of York coun-
ty, and a prominent citizen of Stewartstown,
now living retired in Christiana, Lancaster
county, was born Sept. 14, 1838, in Lancaster
county, Pa., son of James and Eliza (Morri-
son) Martin, ,both of v\diom were natives of
the same county.

Samuel Martin. Dr. Martin's paternal
grandfather, was a farmer in Lancaster county
for many years. He was born in the north of
Ireland and was of Scotch-Irish parentage.
His children were as follows : James ; Samuel ;
Sarah, wife of William Mackey ; and John,
who died young. Dr. Martin's maternal grand-
father was Samuel Morrison, who was born
in Scotland. After emigrating to America
and settling in Lancaster county. Pa., he fol-
lowed milling and farming. Both grandfathers
were men of sterling character in their com-
munity, and strong adherents of the Presb}'-
terian faith. The children of Samuel Mor-
rison were : John ; Robert : Gabriel ; Samuel :
Rev. Alexander; and Anna Eliza, who became
the mother of Dr. Joseph R. Martin.

James Martin, father of our subject, was
a fartner and miller in Colerain township. Lan-
caster county. He w,as much more, a man of
settled principles, with the courage to live up
to his convictions. A strong Whig all his life,
he died in the year of the formation of the Re-
publican party, with which he would undoubt-
edly been identified as he held advanced views
on the slavery question. He was a great ad-
mirer, as he was also a personal friend, of that
noble statesman, Hon. Thaddeus Stevens, and
was so firm in his views that he was one of a
half dozen men of his loc^litv to build the Free
Presbvterian Church, located in Colerain town-



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PEXXSYLVAXIA



ship, near Andrew's Bridge, and to employ a
minister who had the daring that was then nec-
essary to promulgate Abolition sentiments. A
man of noble character and broad-minded phil-
anthropy, the influences of his life extended far
beyond the years of his earthly career. James
]\Iartin married Eliza Morrison, and they had
these children: John, M. D., Josiah, D. D. S.,
Silas, Martha, Sarah, Isabella, Samuel (died
at twelve), Harriet (died at twenty-one), Al-
exander, Harriet, Joseph R., M. D., Annie.
JMartha, and Sarah, of whom Alexander and
Joseph R. are still living.

Dr. Joseph R. Martin completed the com-
mon school course in Colerain township, af-
terward spending three years at the Christiana
Boarding School, and then entered upon the
studv of medicine, under the direction of his
brother. Dr. John Martin. By him he was pre-
pared for entrance to Jefferson Medical Col-
lege, at Philadelphia, where he enjoyed three
courses of study and a special course under the
eSninent surgeon. Dr. D. Hayes Agnew, of
Philadelphia, completing his studies in 1862.
After a short practice at Marticville, Lancaster
county, he was accepted as assistant surgeon
in the United States army, and in the same
year was sent to Harrisburg to be medical ex-
aminer of both the volunteer and drafted men.
Two months later he accompanied Dr. Abra-
ham Harshburger in the 124th P. V. I., and
Avorked seven months with this regiment as
surgeon. He then returned to his home, re-
maining until 1863, when he again entered the
service as surgeon, and was assigned to the
Officers' Hospital, at Alexandria, Va. He con-
tinued there until late in 1864, when he re-
signed and returned to Lancaster county to take
np his private practice.

Dr. Martin located first at Atglen, Chester
county, where he practiced four years, coming
to York county in i860. He settled at Stew-
artstown where he continued in the active prac-
tice of his profession until 1905, when he re-
tired and with his wife moved to Christiana.
Lancaster countv, where also dwell his sons.
Dr. John R., Jo-Newell and Robert. Dr. Mar-
tin is widely known all through this section of
the State. His medical knowledge and sur-
gical skill have brought health and happiness
to hundreds, while the esteem and confidence
he has inspired in this way is only second to
that aroused by his personal characteristics.

In 1866 Dr. Martin married Abbie Smith,



daughter of Rev. Samuel H. Smith, a Pres-
byterian minister in York county. A family of
eleven children was born to this union, namely :
Janet, wife of J. Mitchel Jordan; Annie L.,
wife of W. L. Fredeking; Harriet B., wife of
Rev. Paul S. Lainbach, a clergyman of the
First Reformed Church, Easton, Pa. ; D. C,
a practicing physician; Jo-Newell; John R.,
a practicing physician at Christiana; Robert
C, a machinist; Kenneth H., who died at the
age of thirteen years ; and three children that
died in infancy.

Of the above family, Dr. D. C. Martin,
who has taken his father's practice in Stewarts-
town, read medicine with the latter and grad-
uated in 1903 at the Philadelphia Medico-
Chirurgical College. His professional success
points to a bright future. The experience of
the father combined with the modern, scien-
tific training of the son made a firm of great
strength. Both physicians belong to the lead-
ing medical societies of county and State, and
keep fully abreast of the times in their profes-
sion.

Our esteemed subject has a number of val-
uable business connections in the county, and
is one of the directors of the Stewartstown
First National Bank and a director of the
Stewartstown Furniture Company. Fratern-
ally he is a Mason, belonging to that body for
a long period. He is one of the leading mem-
bers of the Presbyterian Church at Ste\yarts-
town, ha\-ing united with the same some forty
years ago. He has always been active in church
work when professional duties permitted, and
for twenty years has been an elder in this
body. Dr. IMartin has also been a member of
the Stewartstown board of health for a num-
ber of years.

In his own person and as a representative
of his late father. Dr. Martin exemplifies all
that is meant by good citizen. This citizen-
ship has not taken the form of seeking for pub-
lic office, although never shirking public duty,
but has been shown in a deep interest in public-
spirited movements, a just appreciation of
what development and progress means for a
communitv, and the faithful upholding of those
principles which have seemed to him to be
rip-ht. In the beginning of his career he put
aside personal preference and loyally offered
his services to his country, and through a long
and useful life he has shown the same devotion
to dutv. This slight tribute is but due to one



BIOGRAPHICAL



of York county's justly honored and repre-
sentative men.

SOLOMON BOYER has been a resident
of the borough of Dover, in York county, since
1886, and has long lived retired from active
work, but though past eighty he is as energetic
as a man twenty years his junior, and is in full
possession of all his faculties.

Mr. Boyer is a native of York county, hav-
ing been born Oct. 28, 1819, in Manchester
township. He is of German descent and Rev-
olutionary ancestry. His grandfather, Fred-
erick Boyer, was born June 20, 1756, in Leip-
sic, Saxony,' Germany, came\o America when
eighteen years old, and took part in the Rev-
olutionary war. It is thought that his name
was originall}' Byers, the present spelling hav-
ing been adopted after he went to the war. In
1 81 8 he was pensioned for life in recognition
of his services. Frederick Boyer married a
Miss Shull, who was born June 2, 1765, and
also came from a good German family. She
died in April, 1845, aged seventy-nine years,
ten months, one day, and his death occurred
Dec. 4, 1840, at the age of eighty- four years,
five months, fourteen days. Both died in New-
berry township, York county, near Ball Hill,
where they had settled, and they are buried
there. Their children were as follows : Peter
became the father of Solomon; John died in
Carlisle, Cumberland Co., Pa. ; Joseph died
at the old home at Ball Hill; Jay also died
there ; Jacob and Charles died in Ohio ; Augus-
tus died in the West; two daughters died in
York county.

Peter Boyer was born in 1789 in York
county, and there learned the trade of mill-
wright with his uncle, following that calling
and farming throughout his active years. He
lived retired for about twenty years before his
death, which occurred in 1881, when he was
ninetv-two years old. He married Sarah
Hidelbaugh. daughter of George Hidelbaugh,
of York county, and she died in Dover town-
ship at the age of seventy-five years. They
are buried in Straver's Churchyard, in Do\'er
township. Five children were born to this
ivorthy couple, namely : Elizabeth married John
IMeckley, and is now living in Dover township
with her daughters. Solomon is mentioned
below. Sarah married Michael Zeigler, died
in Dover township, and is buried in Straver's



Churchyard. Israel married Savilla Bower-
sox, and died in 1904; his widow lives at
Weigelstown, in Dover township. John mar-
ried Annie Lauer, who died in York county,
and he subsequently married Mary Deisinger;
both are deceased, and are buried in Straver's
Church yard.

Solomon Boyer was reared in his native
township, and began his education there in the
pa}' schools of the neighborhood, later attend-
ing at Abbottstown, in Adams count}-, and
lastly at Dover borough, where he took a
course in surveying, although he never follow-
ed that calling. Under his father he learned
the trade of millwright, which he followed for
about five years, and he also worked with his
father at farming, the latter calling being really
his life work. After his marriage he located
on the old homestead, remaining there for over
twenty years, or until 1869, in which year he
bought a small farm of thirty acres in Dover
township, to which he removed. There he had
his home until 1886, when he built the place
in the borough of Dover where he has since
resided. Mr. Boyer was successful as a farm-
er, and is now enjoying the competence ac-
quired in years of hard labor. Though he gave
proper attention to his own affairs he was deep-
ly interested in the affairs of the community
and was active in promoting good govern-
ment, in his younger days taking a lively in-
terest in public matters as well as in business
pursuits, and he has always been regarded as
a man of excellent judgment and intelligence.
He served as director of the poor, school di-
rector three years, tax collector, assessor,
township auditor and clerk, and was faithful
in the discharge of every duty. Though often
solicited to take office since his removal to the
borough, he has declined all public honors.
His political support has always been given
to the Democratic party.

In 1843 ^r. Boyer married Louisa Len-
hart, who was born Dec. 17, 1820, daughter
of Henry and Christiana ( Stouch) Lenhart,
of Dover township, the former born ]\Iarch 11,
1793, the latter in November, 1792. Henry
Lenhart was a soldier in the war of 1812. He
died in 1867. Mr. and Mrs. Boyer had chil-
dren as follows : Edwin, who married Annie
Y. Essler, died in Dover township, and is
buried at Strayer's Church. Aaron, a pros-
perous farmer of Dover township, married



¥7:10

YORK JUNIOR COLLEGE LIBRARY

YORK, PENNA.



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Susan Smith. Amanda L., born in 1853, is
the widow of Jacob R. Zinn, who was in the



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 23 of 201)