Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 25 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 25 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


among emigrants, sold for his passage money
to a Mr. Stehman, of Lancaster county, with
whom he remained until his majority was at-
tained, after which he settled upon a purchase
of eighty acres of land in Manor township. He
married Marv Staumb, also of German an-
cestry, and their children were John, Bernhart,



George, and Elizabeth, who became ]\Irs.
\\'ormley. Mr. Mann's death occurred June
6, 1 81 7, in his seventy-eighth )-ear, and that of
his wife April 21, 1821, also in her seventy-
eighth year.

John Mann, their son, was born 3>Iarch 7,
1774, on the paternal land, where his life was
devoted to farming. He married Elizabeth,
daughter of George Snyder, of East Donegal',
Lancaster county, who was born Oct. 8, 1780,
and died March 25, 1870. Their children
were : Bernhart S., Jacob, Margaretta, Marie,
Elizabeth, Sophia, Catharine, Barbara Sarah,
John S. and George. Mr. Mann during his
lifetime espoused the tenets of the Lutheran
belief. He died Dec. 3, 1843.

Their son, Bernhart S. Alann, was born
Aug. 20, 1803. On March 8, 1827, he married
A'liss Anna Wertz, who was born Dec. 23,
1805. To them the following children were
born: John W., Henry W., Elizabeth B.,
Mary Ann, Margaret S., Anna M.. Simon B.,
and Caroline C. Mr. Mann's death occurred
April 15, 1880, and that of his wife Jan. 12,
1881.

Their son, Henry W. Mann, the father of
the subject of this sketch, was born June 14,
1829, on a farm adjoining the old homestead.
He married Anna Charles Seitz, Nov. 19,
1856. Their lives were devoted to farming.
To them were born eight sons. Amos. Jacob,
Eli, George, Henry, Enos S., Simon and Hi-
ram.

On the maternal side the Doctor is the
great-great-grandson of Jacob Seitz, who came
to America from the Palatinate (Rhenish Ba-
varia), Germany, in 1764, and who settled in
Manor township, Lancaster county. JNIr. Seitz
married Elizabeth Witmer, daughter of
Michael Witmer, who came from Germany in
1732 and settled in Manor township. To them
were born eleven children, John, Henry,
jMichael, Jacob, Abraham, Veronica, Barbara,
Catharine, Magdalena, Anna and Elizabeth.
"Veronica lived to within a few weeks of 104
years. John married Annie Garber. His death
occurred in 1847 ^"d his wife's in 1862, in
her ninetieth year. Their son, Jacob G. Seitz,
was born in Manor township Jan. 25, 1813- He
married Babara Charles April 11, 1832. and
to this union were born nine children : Anna
C. (the Doctor's mother, born ^lav 27. i833'>.
John C, Jacob C, Charles C. Barbara C.



128



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Elizabeth C, Amos C, and Christian and
Henry, who died young. Mr. Seitz aiea June
17, 1S92. riis wiie died in 1848.

' The Doctor early became inured to the
strenuous labor involved in the work of the
home farm, located near Washington borough,
and in the local public school he secured nis
preliminary educational training, his ambition
to secure a liberal discipline in tnat line having
been quickened while he was still a boy, so that
he made good use of such opportunities as were
afforded him. After leaving the public schools
he continued his studies for two years in the
First State Normal School at Millersville,
where he fortified himself for successful peda-
gogic work, having been thereafter engaged in
teaching in the public schools of his native
county until 1887. In that year he secured a
clerical position in the Columbia National Bank
at Columbia, that county, where he was em-
ployed until 1890, when he accepted a similar
position in the Lancaster County National
Bank, in the city of Lancaster, retaining this
incumbency two years. In the meanwhile he
had determined to prepare himself for the
medical profession, and with this end in view
he took up the study of medicine under the pre-
ceptorship of the late Dr. M. L. Herr, of Lan-
caster, and at the same time was enabled to se-
cure private instruction of a technical order
in Franklin and Marshall College, in that city.
In the autumn of 1892, he was matriculated in
the medical department of the University of
Pennsylvania, at Philadelphia, where he com-
pleted the prescribed course and was graduated
as a member of the class of 1895, receiving his
well-earned degree of Doctor of Medicine. To
further fortify himself for the active labors and
responsibilities of his chosen profession the
Doctor passed a few months in the city dis-
pensary and maternity department of the city
of Philadelphia, under Dr. Joseph Price.

Dr. Mann initiated the active practice of
his profession by locating in Columbia, Lan-
caster county, where he remained until April,
1896, when he came to York county, and took
up his residence in Dallastown, where he has
since been established in practice, having gained
a representative support and secured recogni-
tion as one of the thoroughly skilled physi-
cians and surgeons of the county, while he
holds the high regard of his professional con-
freres and of the people of the communitv in
which he has so earnestly and effectively la-



bored in the alleviation of pain and suffering,
in 1896 the Doctor became a member of tne
Lancaster County Medical Society. He trans-
ferred his membership to the York County
Medical Society soon after his removal to
Dallastown, and was its president during 1906,
while he is also identified with the Pennsylva-
nia State Medical Society and the American
Medical Association. He is also a member of
the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Co-
lumbia, Pa. He is a close and appreciative
student of his profession, and through the care-
ful utilization of the best standard and peri-
odical literature pertaining to medical and sur-
gical science he keeps in touch with the ad-
vances made in each branch, while he is speci-
ally fortunate in his ability of properly apply-
ing his knowledge in the active work of his
practice. In his political proclivities the Doc-
tor is a Democrat, and in a fraternal way he
is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows and Order of Independent Americans
at Dallastown, and with the organization of the
Knights of the Mystic Chain at Yoe, this coun-
ty. Both he and his wife are members of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church at Dallastown.

On June 19, 1901, Dr. Mann was united in
marriage to Miss Mary Ann Fulton, of Muddy
Creek Forks. They have had three sons, Enos
Harold and Horace Fulton, born Sept. 10,
1902, and Bernard Fulton, born March 31,
1905. Horace Fulton died March 22, 1903.
Mrs. Mann was the youngest daughter of
James and Mary Ann (Webb) Fulton. She
was born at Winterstown, York county, where
she lived until the death of her father, Aug.
30, 1872. She then moved with her mother,
who in 1876 became the wife of Judge Valen-
tine Trout, to Muddy Creek Forks. Mary
Ann (Fulton) Mann's great-grandfather was
David Fulton, and he married a Miss Griffith :
they were both of Ireland. Their son David
was born in 1791 and died in 1859. His wife
was Miss Margaret Patterson, native of
Scotland, born April 22, 1791, died June 9,
1871. To them were born seven children. JoHn,
David, Andrew, James, Mary, Sarah and Mar-
tha. James Fulton (Mrs. Mann's father) was
twice married, his first wife being Miss Meads, .,
his second Marv Ann Webb, who he married
Aug. 7, I8S5.

Mrs. Mann's maternal great-great-grand-
parents, Richard and Elizabeth Webb, were
Quakers of English descent, who settled at



BIOGRAPHICAL



129



Fawn Grove, York Co., Pa. Four sons and one
daughter were born to them, the sons being
James, Joseph, Jesse and Richard.

James Webb was born Dec. 8, 1778, and
died May 16, 1865. On April 15, 1800, he
married Mary Ann Miller, who was born Oct.
9, 1779, and died Feb. 7, 1837. Their chil-
dren were : Elizabeth, Jesse, Catharine, Jo-
seph, James, John, Lydia Ann, Mary Ann and
Henry Webb.

Henry Webb was born Aug. 20, 1803, and
died Jan. 16, 1868. He married Mary Ann
Yost, of New Market, Md., who was born Oct.
18, 1806, and died Feb. 21, 1865. Their chil-
dren were : Euphemia, Sarah, Mary Ann, So-
phrona Helen, Arabella, Josephene, Henry Y.
and Cornelius.

On Aug. 7, 1855, Mary z^nn Webb became
the wife of James Fulton. Their children were:
Euphemia Helen, William T., Cornelius McC,
John and Ida (both of whom died in infancy),
and Mary Ann, who became Mrs. Mann.

EDWARD HELB. This well-known bus-
iness man and manufacturer, who is also com-
ing into notice as an inventor, is a son of the
late Frederick Helb, so long and favorably
known as a tanner and farmer of Railroad
borough, York county, and a brother of Theo-
dore R. Helb, one of the leading brewers of
Pennsjdvania.

Edward Helb was born in the borough
named April 29, 1854, his parents being Fred-
erick and Rebecca (Henry) Helb. His father,
a native of Wurtemberg, Germany, emigrated
to the United States when he was nineteen
years of age, finding employment in Baltimore
at his trade of tanner. Afterward he removed
to Railroad borough, then Shrewsbury town-
ship, where he met and married Rebecca
Henry, daughter of George Henry, an honest
farmer and miller of that locality. Of this
union were born ten children, of whom Ed-
ward was the fourth. At Railroad borough
the elder Mr. Helb was both tanner and farm-
er, being' proprietor of a considerable manu-
factory, and was actively engaged in these oc-
cupations up to the date of his death, in April,
1905, at the age of eighty years and one
month.

Edward Helb received his early education
in the district schools of his native place and
the Shrewsbury Academy, these foundation



courses being supplemented by a training in
F. Knapp's Institute, at Baltimore, from which
he graduated in June, 1871. Later he was em-
ployed in his father's tannery, being thus en-
gaged in the spring of 1886, when he took
charge of the store and postof^ice at Railroad
borough. With all his other interests, he has
continuously held that position, but expects
to retire at the conclusion of twenty years of
service, in the fall of 1906.

For a number of years Mr. Helb has been
engaged in the manufacture of creamery but-
ter, being the proprietor of two milk separator
stations — one at Newmarket, Md., and the
other at Rhuls, Md. He also manufactures
the America Combine Level and Grade Finder,
which he patented in the United States July
12, 1904, and in Canada, in December, of that
year. The invention is pronounced most in-
genious and useful, and promises to be so gen-
erally introduced among mechanics that he
will give his entire attention to its manufac-
ture. Mr. Helb has been largely interested in
the F. Helb & Son furniture factory, having
been its manager, but upon the death of Fred-
erick Helb, the father and senior member of
the firm, he bought the plant at public sale,
and resold it to the Sieling Furniture Com-
pany, the latter now operating the establish-
ment. He is one of the executors of his fath-
er's estate, amounting to several hundred
thousand dollars, the position demanding care-
ful supervision and much executive ability.
For the past ten years he has also served as
secretary of the board of directors of the
Shrewsbury Savings Institution.

In many respects Mr. Helb has evinced his
practical public spirit. His work in connec-
tion with the water works of Railroad borough
is an illustration in point. In the fall of 1905
he installed a system at his own expense,
which reached about $6,000. A dozen fire plugs
were placed in different portions of the
borough, and water was carried not only to
his tenants' houses, but to all other residences.
The origin of the supply consists of a large
reservoir of spring water, connected by a six -
inch main with another large bod}' of water,
the fall to the square at the station being at
least 130 feet. The fall furnishes sufficient
force to send a stream over the highest build-
ings on the water line, giving ample protection
to all the dwellings and factories of the town,-



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



130

and being- the means of a material reduction
of iire insurance rates. Besides being the
founder of the Raih'oad borough water works
Mr. Helb has demonstrated his abihty as a
pubhc otficial, being now in his fiifth term of
service as justice of the peace. He has also
laid out and opened up a new street in the
borough at his own expense — there being a
scarcity of good building lots — and he will
erect a number of good brick and frame houses
for tenants.

Mr. Helb is unusually happy in his do-
mestic relations, his wife, to whom he was mar-
ried July 8, 1879, being known in maidenhood
as Jennie I. Rishel, daughter of Squire Daniel
and Sarah Rishel, respected residents of
Troutville, Clearfield county. Pa. They are
both active members of the Lutheran Church
at Shrewsbury and Railroad. Mr. Helb him-
self has been prominently connected, in var-
ious official capacities, with both the local or-
ganization and the broader affairs of the
Synod. For a number of years he has
served as deacon, lately as an elder, and
he has been superintendent of the Sunday-
schools at Shrewsbury and Railroad. He
has been a member of the Home Mission
Board of the General Synod of the Lutheran
Church in the United States for the past eight
years (six years as treasurer), and has been
elected a number of times as delegate to the
West Pennsylvania Synod, and by them at dif-
ferent times elected as a delegate to the Gen-
eral Synod. For several terms he has been
a director of the Loysville Orphans Home,
Perry county, Pa., and for twelve years past
president of the York County Lutheran Sun-
day-school conventions.

Fraternally Mr. Helb is connected with
Mt. Vernon Lodge, No. 143, of Shrewsbury,
and Mt. Vernon Encampment, No. 14, of
York, I. O. O. F. ; also with Friendly Lodge,
No. 287, K. of P., of Glen Rock.

JOHN H. GROSS, extensively engaged in
the harness making business at Davidsburg,
was born there Jvily 25, 1861, son of Samuel
M. and Matilda (Leib) Gross.

John Gross, grandfather of John H., was
born in Dover township, where he learned the
blacksmith's trade, following it until his death,
which occurred in his eighty-seventh year. He
married Polly Myers, who was born in Dover



township and died at Davidsburg, and they are
both buried at Strayer's Church in Dover town-
ship. The children born to this worthy couple
were : Samuel M. ; Elizabeth, living at Davids-
burg; Catherine, married to Daniel Jacobs, de-
ceased, and living in Davidsburg.

Samuel M. Gross was born in 1833, at Dav-
idsburg, attended the township schools, receiv-
ing a good education, and then learned the
blacksmith's trade with his father, with whom
he worked for a time. He later went into busi-
ness with his father, and they were together
until his father's death, after which he con-
tinued in that line by himself. Mr. Gross mar-
ried Matilda Leib, daughter of Henry and
Elizabeth Leib, of Dover township, and she
died in Dover township. Both Mr. and Mrs.
Gross were interred at Strayer's Church.

John H. Gross was the only child of his
parents. He received a good education in the
schools at Davidsburg, which he attended until
about nineteen years of age. In 1880 he
started to learn the harness making trade, and
in 1882 started in business in the place of his
nativity. Mr. Gross has been actively engaged
there ever since, and makes only the finest
goods, shipping his products to the West. He
employs from three to six hands, and is him-
self a very skilled mechanic.

In 1884 Mr. Gross married Mary Altland,
daughter of George and Elizabeth (Overly)
Altland, of Paradise township. After their
marriage they located in the present home in
Davidsburg. The children born to this union
were : Daisy E., Samuel, Harvey, George,
Melvin, John, Margaret and Wilmer, all re-
siding at home. Politically Mr. Gross is a
Democrat, and in 1902 was elected prothono-
tary of York county, which office he has filled
very satisfactorily ever since. Fraternally he
is affiliated with the P. O. S. of A. of Davids-
burg, in which he is very popular.

Mr. Gross is a business man of high rank,
public spirited and up-to-date, and is looked
upon by his friends and neighbors as an able
and honest citizen.

MATTHEW GROVE, in his lifetime one
of the substantial and representative farmers of
York county, resided on his well-cultivated
estate of 100 acres in Chanceford township.
Mr. Grove was born Sept. 24. 1821, on the old
home farm in Hopewell township, son of



BIOGRAPHICAL



131



Thomas and Mary (Williamson) Grove, and
grandson of Jacob Grove.

Jacob Grove was born in York county,
whither his father had emigrated from Ger-
many with a brother in young manhood. He
married a lady of English descent, and took up
300 acres of land, on which he built a log house-
He was a faithful member of the U. P. Church,
having belonged formerly to the Seceders.
Jacob Grove died about 1828, in his eightieth
year, the father of the follow.inig children :
Francis died in Fawn township ; James and
William both died in the West; John; Matthew
is mentioned elsewhere; Martin died in the
West ; Peggy married John Stewart, and died
in Chanceford township ; Betsy, married F.
Graham, and died in- Fawn township ; Thomas ;
and Jennie, who died in York county, married
George Anderson.

Thomas Grove was born on the homestead
in Chanceford township, in 1785, and grew up
on the farm, helping his father to clear it up
from the wilderness. He married Mary Wil-
liamson, and they removed to Hopewell town-
ship, where he bought land, and resided for
several years. He then returned to Chanceford
township, and took up his father's home farm,
caring for the latter in his declining years.
After his father's death, Thomas Grove bought
the farm, and resided upon it until his death
in 1852. Religiously he was a member of the
Guinston U. P. Church. In his political sym-
pathies he was an old-line Whig. The children
born to Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Grove were as
follows: Jacob; Peggy, who married Robert
Brooks, died with our subject; James, who
married Ellen Allison, died in Hopewell town-
ship; William, father of James W., a sketch of
whom will be found elsewhere; Matthew;
Eliza Jane died young; Mary married A. P.
Thompson, of Dallastown; and Martin, who
.died on his grandfather's home farm, married
Sarah Lutz, who survives.

Matthew Grove remained on the home in
Hopewell township, and when a small boy his
father bought 300 acres of land, part of which
our subject lived on at the time of his death.
This land is part of what Jacob Grove took
up, and part of the old house which he built
still stands, being used for a wash house, and
the land upon which it stands being the prop-
erty of William Runkle. Matthew Grove went
to the subscription schools, and later to the pub-



lic schools, his educational advantages, how-
ever, being limited to a day now and then.
His days were filled with much hardship, the
reaping being done in harvest time with a
sickle, by the men, while the women stayed at
home and made the children's clothes from
homespun. Mr. Grove's mother had died in
Hopewell township, and he was cared for by
his step-mother. He took up his present prop-
erty in 1850, now owning 100 acres of land
and carrying on general farming. In 1852
Mr. Grove was married to Miss Margaret E.
Stewart, whom he brought to his new home,
and here he resided until his death Feb. 17,
1905. Mrs. Grove died Dec. 9, 1867. To. Mr.
and Mrs. Grove were born the following chil-
dren: J. Thomas, of Chanceford township,
married Aggie J. Wilson; Agnes Margaret;
Annie M. is the wife of W. A. Liggit, of York;
William McBurney married Mary E. Maugh-
lin; and Charles H. married Miss Mae Wise,
and will move to Collinsville, the old home
having been Sold to Mr. John Craley.

Mr. Grove had always been a devout mem-
ber of the Guinston U. P. Church, joining
when a young man, and had taught in the Sun-
day-school for many years. In politics he had
been a Republican all his life, and he cast his
last presidential vote for President Roosevelt.
He was one of the substantial men, as well as
one of the most highly respected citizens of
Chanceford township.

WILLIAM H. BRODBECK, county
treasurer of York county, was born in Shrews-
bury township, April 6, 1851, son of George
S. Brodbeck.

John Brodbeck, Sr., the great-grandfather
of William H. was a farmer and blacksmith
of Manheim township, where he died.

John Brodbeck, son of John, Sr., also fol-
lowed blacksmithing and farming. He mar-
ried a Miss Shanck, by whom he had children :
Jeremiah; George S. ; Nimrod; John; Mrs.
Buckingham, of Ohio ; and Mrs. Shue.

George S. Brodbeck, son of John, and fath-
er of William H., was engaged in the mercan-
tile business, and carried a full line of general
store goods, also handling lumber and coal,
at» Seitzland, York county. From 1868 until
1892, he was in business in Jefferson borough,
passing away in the latter year. George S.
Brodbeck married Christiana Cramer, who died



132



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



in 1S95, and \vas buried, as was her husband,
at Jerterson borough. They had these chil-
dren : Jabez, who married Anna Burke, and
died at Council Bluffs, Iowa ; J. C, postmaster
at Jefferson borough ; William H. ; Dr. J. R.,
of Jefferson borough, who married Sarah
Brinkman; Hester A., wife of John S. Rohr-
baugh, the railroad agent at Shrewsbury; El-
len J., wife of Fred Brumhouse, an attorney of
Philadelphia; Laura B., wife of J. T. Thoman,
a horse dealer at Jefferson borough; and Mol-
lie, wife of Calvin Hinkle, a clerk in Leroy,
New York.

William H. Brodbeck attended the public
schools of Seitzland, and three months at
Glen Rock, in 1868-69. He began teaching in
Jefferson borough in 1871 as an assistant, and
continued until 1893, all but four terms of
which were taught in the same borough. He
is now secretary of the Codorus & Manheim
M. P. Insurance Co., of which he was at first
agent. In 1876 he was elected a justice of the
peace, a position he still holds. Mr. Brodbeck
is a Democrat, and was elected Nov. 7, 1905, to
the office of treasurer of York county. He
served as clerk to the council for fifteen years.
He is a director of the Codorus Canning Com-
pany, of Jefferson borough.

Mr. Brodbeck married (first) Susan My-
ers, by whom he had two children : George
D., in the horse dealing business at Jefferson:
and Cora M. After the death of his first wife
Mr. Brodbeck married Emma Bupp, daughter
of John F. Bupp, of Springfield township,
Y^ork county, mentioned elsewhere. To this
marriage were born two children, Ellen A. and
Morris F. Mr. Brodbeck is a member of the
Reformed Church, in which he is now serving
as elder. Mr. Brodbeck's fine home was erect-
ed by him in 1893, and is one of the town's
beautiful residences. Since 1876 he has been
a member of Mount Zion Lodge, No. 908, I.
O. O. F., and he has been secretary of the lodge
since its organization, and he also belongs to
Hanover Encampment, Hanover, and to York
Lodge of Heptasophs (I. O. H.) No. 124. He
is very public spirited, and is a liberal supporter
of every movement which promises to be of
benefit to the community in which he has so
long been a resident.

REV. ALEXANDER S. AIKEN. To
have ministered to the spiritual needs of one
congregation for as long a period as thirty-



one 3'ears certainly indicates a large measure
of personal influence and ability as a pastor,
and an equal amount of satisfaction in a con-
gregation. Such is the state of affairs found
ni the Lower Chanceford United Presbyter-
ian Church, where the Rev. Alexander S.
Aiken has so long been the honored and be-
loved minister.

The Aiken ancestors came to America
from the North of Ireland after the close of
the war of the Revolution. Alexander Aiken,
grandfather of the Rev. Alexander S., was a
son of William Aiken, and with three brothers
— James, John and William — and one sister —
Sarah — came to America with their mother.
They settled for a time in Cecil county, Md.,
thence moved to Harford county, in the same
State, and later came to Pennsylvania, settling
first in Westmoreland county, and afterward
locating in Beaver county, where they were
early pioneers. They purchased land close to-
gether, all following farming, and they were
prominently identified with the agricultural
interests of that time. Alexander Aiken was
a soldier in the war of 1812, and it is thought
that one of his brothers was also a participant
in that struggle. Alexander Aiken married
Miss Mary Henry, a native of that section, of
Scotch-Irish descent, whose brother was a



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 25 of 201)