Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 26 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 26 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


member of Congress for a time.

William F. Aiken, son of Alexander and
father of Alexander S., was born in that part
of Beaver county which is now Lawrence
county. He followed farming all of his life
and died in that section aged seventy-five
years. ' He married Margaret Van Emon, of
Scotch-Irish descent, who died when our sub-
ject was still very small.

Alexander S. Aiken was born on a farm
near Princeton, Lawrence county. Feb. 3,
1846, and grew to manhood in that neigh-
borhood. He was educated primarily in.
the public schools, and began teaching
at the age of seventeen years, continu-
ing this vocation four or five vears. He
then entered the Westminster College at
New Wilmington, Pa., graduating in the class
of 1870. He spent the summer months in
teaching select schools at different points and
in the fall of 1870 he prepared to enter the
ministrv, enrolling himself as a student in the
theological seminary at Alleghenv City, grad-
uating in the class of 1873. The Rev. Mr.
Aiken was a classmate of the Rev. Samuel G.




^'/L''?fc/tWc_^



BIOGRAPHICAL



133



Fitzgerald, of Philadelphia. Mr. Aiken's
first appointment was to his present charge,
where he remained three months, spending the
next six months in Iowa, and he answered a
call to return to the parish where he is found
today. There is, perhaps, no other clergyman
who is held in higher esteem or in closer per-
sonal affection than is Mr. Aiken by the peo-
ple of Lower Chanceford township.

Mr. Aiken enlisted in February, 1865, for
one year, at New Brighton, from Lawrence
county, as a private of Company I, i6th Pa.
Vol. Cav., and was promoted to sergeant at
Lynchburg. He was under fire just before the
evacuatiori of Petersburg, being at this time
with the dismounted men, but was later
mounted. He was honorably discharged at
Richmond, in August, 1865. In political mat-
ters Mr. Aiken was reared a Republican, but
for a number of years, he has been a Prohi-
bitionist. He is now serving his third term
as school director in Lower Chanceford town-
ship, and since 1891 has been a member of
the board of directors of Westminster College
— his alma mater. He was married in Hunt-
ingdon county, April' 5, 1882, to Miss Mary
J. Porter, daughter of George and Sarah
Porter.

WESLEY CALVIN STICK, M. D., for
over thirty years a successful medical prac-
titioner in Codorus township, is a member of
a family which has been settled in that part of
York county since the time of the Revolution.

John Casper Stick (who spelled his name
Stiick in Germany), the Doctor's grandfather,
was born Oct. 4, 1752, in Reichen Saxen,
Hesse-Cassel, Germany, son of John and Anna
Martha Stiick. His godfather was Casper
Stiick, whose wife was Anna Margaretta.
John Casper Stick was one of the Hessian
mercenaries brought to this country in 1775,
but he deserted the army in Baltimore, secret-
ing himself in a huckster's wagon, which was
bound for Manheim township, York Co., Pa.,
about forty miles north of Baltimore, and six
miles south of Hanover. Pa. He made a per-
manent settlement there, and prospered, be-
coming the owner of about three hundred acres
of land two miles east of Sherman's church.
On Sept. 17, 1776, he married Margaretta
Schallin, and they had a family of ele\-en chil-
dren, born as follows: Johanas, June 7, 1788;



George, June 14, 1789; Elisabeth, Sept, 24,
1 791; Anna Maria, March 20, 1794; Jacob,
Sept. 7, 1796; Margaretta, Nov. 5, 1797;
Catliarme, bept. 19, 1799; a son whose name
is not given, 1801 ; Anna Madalena, Feb. 5,
1803; John Casper, Jan. 4, 1805; Henry, June
28, 1808. The father of this family died
about 1814, the mother shortly afterward; they
are buried in Sherman's Church cemetery. Of
the children Johanas and John Casper settled
in Randolph county, Ind., where their descend-
ants are now living. Jacob lived in Carroll
and Baltimore counties, Md. ; he had two
daughters, Susan (Mrs. Richards) and Mary
(Mrs. Brown). Anna Maria married Henry
Cramer, of Codorus township, York Co., Pa.,
and had one daughter, Priscilla, who never
married. Margaretta married a Stansbury,
and passed most of her life in Baltimore; her
children were William, Jacob, Lottie, Rebecca,
and Joanna, Another of the daughters mar-
ried a Mr. Gruber, who lived in Maryland, and
one married a Mr. Fuhrman, who resided in
Wooster, Ohio.

Henry Stick, the youngest of his parents'
family, was a weaver by trade and located in
Codorus township about 1826. He was the
founder of Stick's Tavern, an old landmark
for many years in York county, and had many
interests, conducting a farm, hotel, general
store and butchering business, and looking after
the post office. On Oct. 25, 1836, he married
Mary Ann Thoman, who long survived him,
Mr. Stick dying May 12, 1882, and Mrs. Stick
March 31, 1903. They are buried in the Stone
Church cemetery in Codorus township. They
had children as follows : Henrietta, born July
17, 1837, died unmarried; Ohver, born Oct.
23, 1839, died in childhood; Miranda was born
March 6, 1841 ; Anna Maria, born Aug. 22,
1842, married Israel K. Ziegler, lives in York,
and is the mother of three children, John Clay-
ton, Edwin and Jennie (wife of Jacob K,
Klinefelter) ; Emmaline, born Feb. 8, 1846,
died in childhood; Henry Silas, born Jan. 28,
1848, married Rebecca Koller, Feb. 25, 1869,
and lives at the old homestead (their surviving
children are Lewis, M. D., assistant physician
at the Worcester x\sylum ; Charles Franklin,
a merchant at Lineboro, Carroll Co., Md. ;
Rev. Jacob Monroe, business manager of the
Reformed Church at Sendai, Japan: John, a
student in dentistrv: Anna, wife of Dr. Lewis



134



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Wetzel, of Baltimore, Md. ; Miranda and Jen-
nie, at home) ; William Chester, born Oct. 26,
1850, married Lamanda Rohrbaugh, and re-
sides at Hampstead, Md. (they have one son,
John W. C. Stick, who is now professor of
Latin in the preparatory department of
Swarthmore College) ; Ed\Vin Chapes, born
July 15, 1853, died in childhood; Wesley Cal-
vin was born May 6, 1855; Kynes Ambrose,
born July 26, 1857, died in childhood; Joanna
Alice, born Sept. 30, 1859, married Dr. Jacob
L. Barthold, has one child, Miriam, and resides
in Perham, Ottertail Co., Minn. Of this fam-
ily Henrietta, Oliver, Emmaline, Edwin Chapes
and Kynes Ambrose (all of whom died in
childhood but Henrietta) are buried in the
Stone Church cemetery.

Wesley Calvin Stick was born May 6,
1855, ™ Codorus township, York Co., Pa., and
there passed his boyhood on his father's farm,
attending the public schools and assisting with
the work at home, the different duties per-
taining to his father's interests giving him a
varied experience, to which he added himself
by teaching in the public schools of Codorus
township, when he was but fifteen years old.
His further literary training was received at
the York County Academy, Washington Uni-
versity, and the University of New York, he
receiving his degree of M. D. in 1874, becom-
ing a registered physician in Pennsylvania and
Maryland. He took a post graduate course in
medicine during the winter of 1876-77, Im-
mediately after graduating in medicine Mr.
Stick located at his father's home in Codorus
township, and there he has since resided and
practiced, having met with gratifying success
in his chosen profession from the beginning.
However, he planned to remove in April or
May of the present year (1906), with his fam-
ily to Hanover, York Co., Pa., where he will
continue to practice. Dr. Stick is a member of
the York County Medical Society (which he
joined in 1877), the Pennsylvania State Medi-
cal Society (189s) and the American Medical
Association (1884). He also \yas a member
of the Ninth International Medical Congress in
18S7.

Dr. Stick's standing in the profession and
his personal influence in the community are
sufficient evidence of his value as a man. He
has taken an active interest in the general wel-
fare, and particularly in the subject of public



education. He was virtually the originator of
the Glenville Academy, in Codorus township,
and has been president of its board of directors
throughout the existence of that school, which
he founded in 1892, and has been very active
in its success and management. He^ has been
the life and center of the school all this time,
collecting the money necessary for its support,^
obtaining teachers, etc., and has developed the
academy into one of the first schools of its ciass
in the State. Dr. Stick has been a director of
the First National Bank of New Freedom since
its organization. He is a member of the Re-
formed Church, and is a Democrat in politics.
On Jan. 27, 1881, Dr. Stick was married
to Mary Agnes Wentz, who was born Oct. i,
i860, a daughter of Edward R. Wentz, of
Manheim township, York county, whose an-
cestors came from the Palatinate, Germany;
her mother, whose maiden name was IMargaret
Couldron, was from New Oxford, Adams Co.,
Pa., and of English descent. Mr. Stick has one
brother. Dr. A. C. Wentz, of Hanover, Pa., and
three deceased sisters : Lamanda Elisabeth,
Margaret and Amelia. From this union three
children have been born : Henry Wentz Stick,
Nov. 20, 1881 ; Edward Wentz Stick, Oct. 24,
1884; and Margaret Stick, April 25, 1886.
Henry W. is a graduate of the Glenville Aca-
demy, 1897, and he graduated at Franklin and
Marshall College in June, 1901, receiving the
A. B. degree; later he entered the Johns Hop-
kins University. Edward W. graduated from
the Glenville Academy in 1900, and the same
'year entered Franklin and Marshall College,
in Lancaster, Pa., where he graduated in June,i
1904, receiving the A. B. degree. In the fall
of the same year he was elected principal of the
high school of Yeagertown, Mifflin Co., Pa.,
where he remained one year, entering the Med-
ical Department of the Johns Hopkins Uni-
versity in the fall of 1905. Margaret gradu-
ated from the Glenville Academy, now Codo-
rus township high school, in June, 1903, and
is now specializing in music. She prepared
herself (under private tutors) for the musical
department of Peabody Institute, Baltimore,
Md., where she has been studying for the last
two years.

ARRAM FLEMMING. of Franklin town-
ship. York countv. is descended from Scotch-
Irish ancestrv. He was born in Carroll town-



BIOGRAPHICAL



135



ship, York county, July 21, 1836, son of
Abram, Sr., and Susannah (Cochhn) Flem-
ming, and grandson of Timothy Flemming.

Timothy Flemming came to this country
from Ireland and settled in Perry county, Pa.,
where he engaged in agricultural pursuits un-
til his death, the date of which is not known.
He had these children : Timothy ; John ;
Frederick; Elizabeth (Beelman) ; Abram;
Sarah (Gear) ; and Mary (Strine).

Abram Flemming, Sr., father of Abram,
was born in Cumberland Co., Pa., where he ob-
tained a common school education. When a
young man he eng^^ged in driving teams to
Philadelphia and Baltmiore, and after several
years accumulated enough money to purchase
a farm in Carroll township, which he operated
until his death in 1873, he being then sixty-
nine years old. His wife passed away in 1862,
in her fifty-fifth year. They were the parents
of five children, as follows : Mary Ann, John,
Abram,, Samuel and Susan. Our subject's
mother was a member of the United Brethren
Church, and was a very devout Christian wo-
man.

Abram Flemming, son of Abram, was edu-
cated in the common schools in Carroll town-
ship, and at Dillsburg, Prof. Heiges being his
teacher for a time. When a young man he
taught school for five terms, but he later turned
his attention to farming, and is now the posses-
sor of two fine farms in Franklin township, de-
voting his time to general farming and stock-
raising.

Mr] Flemming was married, in 1864, to
Miss Catherine Diller, daughter of Samuel Dil-
ler, and four children have been born to this
union : Catherine, John, Irvin and Martha.
Mr. Flemming is a member of the Church of
God, in which he has been elder and superin-
tendent of the Sunday-school, the house where
he worships having been built principally by
him. A Democrat politically he held the of-
fice of school director for six years, was au-
■ ditor, and at one time supervisor. He is very
highly esteemed, and has many friends.

ELMER E. WENTZ. Receiving under
the supervision of his father, one of the suc-
cessful merchants of Hanover, a valuable and
extensive training in mercantile pursuits, El-
mer E. Wentz has in comparatively recent
years commenced for himself a career among
the prominent business men of that citv that



has in it the promise of marked success. He is.
a dealer in dry goods, carpets and notions, with
a store that is centrally located, and with a
stock of goods that is modern in every respect.
He was born in Hanover, i\pril 22, 1861, son
of Valentine R. and Adeline (Orr) Wentz.

Valentine R. Wentz, who is still livings
was born in Manheim township, June 30,
1834. His wife, Adeline Orr, was born in
York county in 1840, daughter of James and
Elizabeth (Waltman) Orr; she died in 1902.
Three children were born to Valentine R. and
Adeline Wentz : Allen H., a jeweler in Balti-
more, Md. ; Bertha E., wife of L. H. HofT-
acker, of Hanover; and Elmer E.

Elmer E. Wentz was educated in the pub-
lic schools of Hanover. His first employment,
at the end of his school days, was in the office
of the Hanover Herald, where he learned the
printer's trade, continuing in that employment
for three years. He then entered his father's
store, and continued with him until 1899, in
which year he started in business for himself,
purchasing and establishing a new stock of
dry goods, carpets and notions at the corner of
the Square and Baltimore street, which is not
only a central location, but had been known
for many years as the site of a thriving busi-
ness house. Mr. Wentz's stock of goods has
been carefully selected, and since the inaug-
uration of his venture he has enjoyed a most
gratifying trade.

In 1885 Mr. Wentz married Miss Lillian
K. Stine, of Flanover, daughter of John R.
and Leah (Smyser) Stine. Six children have
been born to Mr. and Mrs. Wentz, namely :
Leah A. ; Irene ; John V. ; Lillian : Bertha ■
and William E. Mr. and Mrs. Wentz an
members of St. Mathew's Lutheran Church.
Among the fraternal orders, Mr. Wentz is a
Mason, being affiliated with Patmos Lodge.
No. 348, F. & A. M. ; Good Samaritan Chap-
ter, No. 79, R. A. M., Gettysburg: and Gettys-
burg Commandery, No. 19, K. T.

SAMUEL B. HOKE, postmaster and
merchant at Summit Station, Manheim town-
ship, York Co., Pa., was born in Oxford town-
ship, Adams Co., Pa., in 1839. son of David
and Barbara Bechtel and grandson of George
Hoke.

George Hoke was born in Jackson town-
ship, York Co., Pa., where he carried on farm-
ing all of his life. He died from an accident



136



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



while working among his stock. He married
Catherine Stambaugh, and both are buried in
the old burying ground west of Spring Grove.
Their children were : Solomon, who was a
farmer in Cumberland county, along the Yel-
low Breeches Creek, for some forty years, and
then removed to West Virginia, where he died ;
David; Casper, who died leaving a widow and
children: Mrs. William Menges (at Mc-
Sherrystown, Adams Co.), Mrs. Reaver
(2\Ienges Mills, York Co.), George and
Emanuel (Abbottstown, Adams Co.) ; Sam-
uel, who died at Frederick, Md. ; George,
who inherited the old farm in Jack-
son township, and died there, his son
George — the third of the name, now own-
ing the farm; Magdalena, who married
Andrew Hershey, and died at Spring Grove;
Rebecca, who married Jonas Rebbert (who
died about twelve years ago), and now lives at
the Penn Grove camp grounds in Heidelberg
township ; and Katie, widow of Edward Re-
bert and residing in York.

David Hoke, son of George and father of
Samuel B., was born Dec. 24, 1805, and he
died Aug. 17, 1873. He married Barbara
Bechtel, who was born May 24, 1807, and
lived to be ninety-two years old, dying March
20, 1900. They had these children: Susan,
born Jan. 5, 1832, died when sixteen years old;
Rebecca, born July 16, 1833, of Hanover;
Isaac, born April 26, 1835, died aged thirteen
3'ears; David Jr., born Nov. 13, 1836, married
(first) Louisa Carl, and (second) Annie
Slagel, and resides at Hanover; Samuel B.,
born Jan. 28, 1839; George, born March 12,
1 841, died aged seven years; Abraham, born
Jan. 31, 1843, married Josephine King, now
deceased, and lives retired in York street, Han-
over; Barbara, born June 5, 1845, died aged
seven years; Michael, born Feb. 11, 1847/
died aged five years ; Solomon, born March
27, 1849, married Amelia King, has two chil-
dren, Emma, wife of Howard Bair, of Han-
over, and Ruhel, and is in the cigar box manu-
facturing business with his son Ruhel and son-
in-law, Howard Bair, at Hanover.

David Hoke went to Adams county in
young manhood, and the greater part of his
life was passed there carrying on large farm-
ing interests. Later he retired to Hanover
where the closing years of his life were spent
and where he died aged seventy years.

Samuel B. Hoke was educated in the



schools of Oxford township and remained with
his father, assisting in the management of the
farm, until he was twenty-six years of age,
when he married and for the next seven years
farmed on shares. In 1870 he came to Alan-
heim township, and bought the farm he now
crwns, a tract of 120 acres of well improved
land, situated at Summit Station, bordering
the Western Maryland railroad. Here he
erected a substantial building which he stocked
with general merchandise, and he has con-
tinued successfully to carry on this enterprise
until the present. In 1880 the postoffice of
Hokes was established, and he was made the
tirst postmaster, still holding the office. In
addition to his other interests he handles
grain, phosphates, and almost any commodity
needed by the farmers, or their families, in
this section. Since 1900 he has given up
active farming, his other business requiring
all his attention. He has built a fine residence
at Summit Station, and is one of the popular
and much esteemed citizens of this part of the
township.

Mr. Hoke was united in marriage with
Barbara Hershey, daughter of John and Nancy
(Sprenkle) Hershey, an old family here. She
died in 1885, and was buried at Hanover.
They had these children: Franklin H., who
married Ellen Luckenbaugh, and is farming
in West Manheim township; Samuel H., who
married Annie Grote, and lives at Glen Rock;
Edward J., who married Mary Roades, and
fives near Millersville, Lancaster county;
Georgiana, her father's devoted housekeeper,
a most estimable lady; Vertir K., who married
S. P. Bange, and is assistant postmaster at
Hokes, and is telegraph operator at Summit
(B. & H. Div. of W. Md. R. R.), a position
he has occupied since boyhood ; Albert, who
married Maggie Albright, and is a steno-
grapher at Tacoma, Wash. ; and Martin J., of
Baltimore. Politically Mr. Hoke is neutral,
voting independently. He has served as
school director for some years. He Avas a .
leading member of the Reformed Church at
Hanover and now belongs at Lazarus, Md.
Among the representative citizens of Manheim
township, he occupies a prominent place.

BETZ. The written history of the Betz
fnmilv begins with the year 1688, when John
George Betz was born in JMannheim, Ger-
manv. Records of earlier dates were de-




'/////<<'■' '^ pV!




BIOGRAPHICAL



137



stroyecl during the troublous times of the per-
iod. Earher generations of the family were en-
gaged in the stone business, which was a large
factor in the building trade from remote per-
iods. Owing to financial reverses John George
Betz, although advancing in years, set his face
toward the New World to make a fresh start
in life, more especially for the benefit of his
family. His marriage had taken place com-
paratively late in life. He was a man of strong
resolution and self-reliance. Leaving the tra-
ditions of the Fatherland behind him at the ex-
pense of many pecuniary and social sacrifices,
he descended the Rhine to Rotterdam, and set
sail for America, landing at Philadelphia in
1746. He moved to what is now known as
Schoeneck, but then called the wilderness of
Northern Lancaster County, in Pennsylvania.
This region was then in the township of Co-
calico, which has since been subdivided into
several smaller ones. This portion of Lan-
caster county was embraced in the New Red
Sandstone formation, which passes somewhat
diagonally through the State, and its course
all through its extent is marked by sandstone
houses and barns. The first headstones erected
in the earlier graveyards were of sandstone.
Many of the earlier graves remained un-
marked, owing to pressing necessities among
the living. Through lapse of time the duty to
the dead in many cases remained unfulfilled.
After a period of well on to two hundred
years, in many cases much sooner, the inscrip-
tions on these stones have become almost
wholly effaced. John George Betz and the
male members of his family followed their
hereditary calling, adapting themselves to the
exigencies of a new country. Much of their
handiwork in its various form and lines is
pointed out to this day. The patriarch Betz
had six stalwart sons, all of whom rendered
him implicit obedience. They made many
sacrifices, accounts of which have come down,
and are in the hands of their descendants.

One of the sons, Peter Betz, who was torn
in 1749, enlisted as a drummer in the Revolu-
tion. He accompanied Washington's army
across the Delaware, and was in the attack
upon Trenton, where he met with a narrow
escape, his drum being shot to pieces. He re-
enlisted after the expiration of his time, and
was with the army at Brandywine and Ger-
mantown, and was in the encampment during



the trying winter at \'alley Forge. Owing to
the scarcity of provisions and clothing the
soldiers would torage for supplies whenever
opportunity offered. On one occasion Peter
and a comrade visited the turkey yard of a
noted Tory and appropriated a choice turkey
for themselves. The Tory traced the perpe-
trators, and came to the encampment to state
his grievance to Washington in person. The
General promised to look into the matter, and
the accused were called to headquarters, where
the Commander-in-chief dilated upon the
enormity of the offense and wound up with
the following admonition : "My children,
you can steal turkeys if you feel that you need
them, but please keep the fact away from me,
for if I am made aware of it I will be forced to
punish you." Peter used to say that he trembled
with apprehension while in the presence of
Washington, but after the latter had finished
his lecture he quietly asked them to send him
some of the turkey, when they felt relieved.
They sent the General a choice portion, which,
it was reported, the great man ate with relish.
Since the offense was in being found out, they
took g'ood care, in future depredations on Tory
supplies, that no fault should be found in this
direction to get them into trouble.

John George Betz, the emigrant head of
the house, died in 1793, reaching the great age
of one hundred and five years. He and hi^
family were members of the Muddy Creek
Lutheran congregation, which was organized
in 1730. His remains were interred in the
large burying ground of the Congregation.
His son Peter died in 1848. aged ninety-nine
years. Another son and namesake, John
George Betz, of the second generation in
America, was born in 1750, and died in 1826,
aged seventy-six years. He was buried at
\Miite Oak cemetery, about ten miles north-
west of Muddy Creek church, where he re-
moved during the Revolution. He and his
wife Magdalena are buried in the center of
this burying-ground, in which at least three
thousand interments have been made. The
White Oak Lutheran Reformed Church was
erected in 1735, and was replaced by a second
building in 1832. Franklin Chest tombs of
sandstone were erected over their graves by
their grandson, George Betz. son of ^Michael
Betz. the latter being of the third generation.
L'ntil 1847 "ot a sing'le marble headstone nor



138



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



monument was to be seen in this cemetery.
The first marble stone was erected over the re-
mains of the widow of Michael Betz in 1847,
by her son, George Betz. The marble head-
stones have now become so numerous that the
sandstones are hardly noticeable. The re-
maining brothers removed to distant regions,



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 26 of 201)