Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 28 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 28 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


his beautiful home is surrounded by four acres
of ground.

For three years Mr. Gable served as a
school director. He is one of the directors of
the York County Bank, of York, Pa. In
politics he has always been a Republican. He
and his wife are earnest workers in the Lu-
theran Church, of which Mr. Gable is an elder,
and president and treasurer of the church coun-
cil. He has been superintendent of the Sun-
day-school for twenty-five years.



WILLIAM H. MINNICH, M. D. In the
great competitive struggle of life, where each
must enter the field and fight his way to the
front or else be overtaken by disaster of time
or place, there is ever particular interest at-
taching to the life of one who has turned the
tide of success, has proceeded onward in a
confident and positive way, overcoming dif-
ficulties and grappling with adverse circum-
stance, until he has gained the end sought and
shown his ability to cope with others in their
rush for the coveted goal. Dr. Minnich has
been in a significant sense the architect of his
own fortunes, having been dependent to a large
extent upon his own resources from his boy-
hood days, while he has pressed steadily for-
ward to the mark of the high calling to which
he set himself, while through his fidelity to
trust, his deep humanitarian spirit and his defi-
nite accomplishment in one of the most exact-
ing of professions, he stands forth as a type
of that sterling American manhood which our
nation delights to honor, from the fact that
honor is due. Dr. Minnich is a scion of stanch
pioneer stock in York county, with whose an-
nals the name has been linked for more than a
century, and in this county he has passed essen-
tially his entire life thus far, while his stand-
ing in the community is such as to set at
naught the application of the Biblical aphorism
that "a prophet is not without honor save in
his own country." The genealogical histor}- is
given elsewhere.

William Henry Minnich was born in Dal-
lastown, York township, this county, Sept. 30,
1864, son of Granville and Mary (Spatz) Min-
nich, both of whom are deceased, the former
having died when the Doctor was a child of
about two years, in 1866, while the devoted
mother was summoned to the land of the leal
in 1874, both having passed their entire lives in
York county, where the father followed the vo-
cation of laborer until the time of his demise.

Granville Minnich was born in the year
1 8 18 and was a son of John and Mary ( Alit-
chell) Minnich, who also passed their entire
lives in York county, while of their children
the following, besides Granville, attained to
years of maturity : Jonathan and Isaac, who
died in this county ; Michael, who resides in
Yorkana, this county ; Susan, wife of Frederick
Menkedick. of Baden Baden, Germany: and
Caroline, widow of Harrison Keesey, and re-
siding in Dallastown, Pa. Regarding the



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



144

brothers and sisters of Mary (Spatz) Min-
nich, mother of the Doctor, the fohowing data
are available: Jacob F., William Joshua and
Benjamin are deceised; Julia is the widow of
Frederick Fix, and resides in Dallastown; Ly-
dia is the wife of Tobias Eberley, of Arbor;
and Elizabeth, who became the wife of Za.ch-
ariah Taylor, is deceased. To Granville and
Alary Minnich were born only the two children,
of whom the elder is John W., the well known
banker and manufacturer of Dallastown.

Dr. Minnich was deprived of a father's care
when he was but two years old, and he was
but ten years of age when his devoted mother
was likewise called to the life eternal, so that
in a large measure he had to shift for himself
when a mere boy, as did also his brother, who
has likewise attained to noteworthy success
and honor. Our subject's early educational
advantages were meager in scope, being limited
to a somewhat desultory attendance in the pub-
lic schools of his native township, but through
personal application and determinate efforts he
has not only gained a liberal academic educa-
tion, but also a high standing in one of the
learned professions, showing how effectually
he has overcome the early handicap. In his
youthful years he attended the public school at
Adamsville during the winter terms, while in
the meanwhile he worked at the cigarmaker's
trade in order to provide for his maintenance.
Determined to prepare himself for a wider
plane of endeavor, he bent all his energies to
the accomplishing of his purpose. In 1885 he
began reading medicine under the able pre-
ceptorship of the late Dr. A. P. T. Grove, of
Dallastown, with whom he remained one year,
while during 1886 he continued his studies at
home. In the autumn of 1887 he was matri-
culated in the Baltimore Medical College, Bal-
timore, Md., where he completed the prescribed
technical course. Soon afterward he entered
the College of Physicians & Surgeons, in the
same city, where he took two courses, being
graduated in 1890. and receiving honorable
mention, together with the supplemental de-
gree of Doctor of Medicine. Having thus
fortified himself most effectively for the active
work of his chosen profession. Dr. Minnich lo-
cated in Windsorville. York county, in iSoi.
while in the following year he removed to Ja-
cobus, where he built up a representative prac-
tice, continuing his residence there until 1895,



when he came to Dallastown, where he has
since maintained his home and professional
headquarters, and where he has been retained
as physician to many of the representative fam-
ilies of that section. He has met with gratify-
ing success in his labors here, is recognized as
one of the representative physicians and sur-
geons of his native county, and is held in high
esteem in professional, business and social cir-
cles. The Doctor is a member of the American
Medical Association and the York County
Medical Society, while in a social way he is
affiliated with the Improved Order of Hepta-
sophs, the Modern Woodmen of America and
the Fraternal Order of Eagles. In politics he
is found aligned as a stanch supporter of the
principles of the Democratic party, and he has
ever - shown a loyal interest in all that has
touched the civic and material welfare of his
home city. He has been active and zealous as
a member of the Dallastown board of education
since 1900.

Dr. Minnich, on May i, 1894. was joined
in marriage to Miss Elizabeth E. Crist, daugh-
ter of Michael and Susan (Rohrbaugh) Crist,
of York New Salem. Two children have
blessed this union : Janet and Mary. Mrs.
Minnich is a member of the Reformed Church,
and the Doctor of the United Brethren.

GEMMILL. The Gemmills are of a very
old Scottish line which has been known in the
western part of Scotland since the year 1200
A. D. They seem to have been a family of
strong and courageous nature. History re-
cords the burning of a Ralph Gemmill at the
stake during the persecutions of the Christians
in the old country. A now fallen monument
erected in Scotland to the memory of Chris-
tian martyrs who fell July 20, 1680, bears the
name amongst others of a John Gemmill. The
first John Gemmill of whom we have any
record was martyred by Claverhouse at Kil-
marnock in the latter pa'rt of the 17th century.

A John Gemmill of the sixth generation
from this martyred John Gemmill came from
Kilmarnock, Scotland, about 1750, and settled
near Carlisle. Pa., where he married Elizabeth
Porter in 1758. He was a clock and watch-
maker, having learned his trade in Glasgow,
Scotland. While living near Carlisle he made a
beautiful grandfather's clock for William Gem-
mil, of York county, which still remains at what



BIOGRAPHICAL



145-



was the old homestead of the latter. On the face
of this clock is a large raised silver plate, on
which is handsomely engraved, "John Gem-
mill, Carlisle, Fecit." Having been burned out
about 1765, he moved to the Juniata valley,
and was buried at Lewiston, Pa. His son, the
seventh: John Gemmill, was born Nov. 12,
1759. The eldest son was always named John
to perpetuate the name.

Capt. Hugh Gemmill, son of Zachariah
and Janet (McBride) Gemmill, born in Irvine,
Scotland, in 1766, came to this county when
quite young. In 1793 he commanded the ship
"McGilvary," an American vessel, sailing
from Baltimore. This being at the time of the
French revolution, and during The Reign of
Terror, his ship was seized and carried into
the port at Brest. The owners made claim for
damages and recently were granted some
money, under what are known as the French
Spoliation Claims. Capt. Gemmill afterward
settled in Somerset county, Md. He married
(first) Ann Handy, and after her death Jane
Wilson. Later he moved to Newcastle county,
Del. He was a stanch Presbyterian elder, and
was buried in the old churchyard at Christiana,
Delaware. He had a large family.

William Gemmill, according to a faint tra-
dition a brother of the John Gemmill referred
to previously, was born in Scotland in 1722.
He came to this country and settled in what is
now East Hopewell township, York Co., Pa.,
about 1745. We first find him located about
one mile east of Cross Roads borough. He
was the progenitor of all the York county
Gemmills, a family which multiplied rapidly
and is now scattered throughout the United
States. In some lines it now reaches to the
eighth generation. He took out warrants for
and sold land to a great extent in this county.
By occupation he was a farmer, and also a
storekeeper from 1760 to 1780. In 1767 he
was one of six commissioners appointed to
erect Hopewell township from Shrewsbury
township. In 1768 he was a member of the
board of county commissioners who erected
the first jail in York county. He was an' officer
in the French and Indian war, and on Nov. 4,
1756, was commissioned a lieutenant and
served under Capt. Andrew Findley, who at
that time commanded a company of 106 men
in His Majesty's army. His wife, whose name
was Jennette, was born in 1725. They both
died in March. 1789, and were buried in Old



Guinston gra\-eyard. They had a family of
seven children, namely: John, Margaret.
David, Ann, William, James and Robert. Of
William and Margaret we have no account.
They did not live to become heirs to their
father's estate.

Major Robert Gemmill, the youngest child,
was born in 1762, and died in 1846. He mar-
ried Sarah Smith, daughter of William and
Catherine (Campbell) Smith, both of whom
came from Scotland and settled about a mile
north of Cross Roads, about 1760. Major
Gemmill was the father of ten children. Will-
iam, the oldest child, was a pupil of Thaddeus
Stevens in the York County Academy, was
admitted to the York bar in 181 8, and died
in 1820. Catherine married Capt. James Wal-
lace, and had four sons, Robert Gemmill,
William, John T. and James W., M. D. Ann
married David Wallace ; their children were
Robert Gemmill, D. D., Mary, Joseph Gem-
mill, James David, Margaret and Andrew.
David married Martha Gemmill and had a
family of five. Sarah married Moses Rankin
and had five children. Margaret married
Andrew Wallace ; they had no children.
Thomas married Mary Ann Caldwell ; they
had seven children. John married Jane Ann
Collins and they had one child.

James Gemmill, son of William, married
Sarah Wiley; their children were Mary, Jen-
nette, William, Joseph, Margaret, James and
Ann. Joseph was a soldier in the war of 1812
in Capt. William Allison's company.

Ann Gemmill, daughter of William, mar-
ried David Wiley, a major in the war of the-
Revolution. He was born in 1747. He lived
on Mason and Dixon's line, between Stewarts-
town and Center Presbyterian Church, where
he and his wife are buried. After the war of
the Revolution he made several trips to Ire-
land, bringing back Irish linen in exchange
for some commodity of this country. His
daughter Jennette married James Edie. Mar-
garet married David Gemmill, of John. His
son, David Wiley, inherited the home place,
and was in the war of 1812, a lieutenant of
the 1st Brigade, 5th Battalion, Pennsvlvania
Militia. [In War of 1812, p. 468].

David Gemmill, son of William, born in
1750, married Jane Hepburn. Their children
were : William, Jennette, George, John, Mar-
garet, Mary, Thomas and Ann.

John Gemmill, the oldest of the family of



146



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



William and Jennette, born abont 1745, died
in 1798. He was twice married and the father
of twelve children. His first wife was Agnes
Wallace, daughter of James and Agnes Wal-
lace, and their children were Margaret, Will-
iam, James, Jennette, John, David, Agnes and
Ann. By his second wife, Elizabeth, were
born . Elizabeth, Mary, Jean, Robert and
Sarah. Of this family, Margaret, born in
1770, married Major John Collins, and had
ten children. William married Martha Edie,
and they had ten children; their oldest son,
John, was a soldier in the war of 18 12, from
Sept. 3, 1814, to March 5, 1815, a private in
the company of Capt. James McCullough, 5th
Battalion, ist Brigade, under command of
Major McFarland. [War of 1812, p. 287].
Jennette married William Allison, and twelve
children were born to them< William Allison
was captain of a company, in the war of 18 12,
which was stationecl for a time in York.
James married Betsy McPherson ; their family
numbered eleven. David married his cousin,
Margaret Wiley, and they had nine children.
Ann married Benjamin Manifold, of Joseph,
and seven children were born to them in York
county; they later moved to Washington
county, Pa. John, grandfather of the writer,
was born in 1778 and died in 1861 ; he married
Mary Smith, a daughter of Robert and Mary
(Leiper) Smith, and a granddaughter of
James and Mary Leiper; John Gemmill was
universally respected and beloved ajad was a
ruling elder in the Hopewell Presbyterian
Church for more than forty years ; he was the
father of ten children, namely : Mary, Robert,
John, Agnes, Martha EHza, William, Mar-
garet, James Leiper, Sarah and Jennette.

( I ) Mary married Matthew Grove. They
had nine children. Their first born, Hepburn
Grove, was a member of the 87th Pennsyl-
vania Volunteers in the Civil war and died in
Anderson\lille prison. (2) Robert married
Jane Duncan. They had five sons and four
daughters. The four older sons, William, John,
Andrew and Smith, were soldiers in the Union
army during the Civil war from as many dif-
ferent States. (3) John married Mary Ann
Earic, of Ohio. They had three sons and two
daughters. (4) Agnes married Robert Gem-
mill Wallace. They had no children. (6)
William married Agnes Proudfit McCalister,
daughter of John and Jane (Proudfit) Mc-



Calister. Two sons were born to them, John
McCalister Ge'jnmill, author of this sketch,
and William James. The latter married Sue
M. Jamison, daughter of Rev. Dr. Samuel
Jamison. Their family consists of four sons
and one daughter. (8) James Leiper married
Sarah Jane Freeland. They had five daugh-
ters and two sons. He and his wife and two
daughters reside at Freeland, Baltimore Co.,
Md., where he 'started in the merchant busi-
ness sixty years ago. He was born April 15,
1817, and married March i, 1849. He has
always been a stanch Whig and Republican.
On Jan. 21, 1851, during the administration
of Zachary Taylor and Nathan K. Hall, P.
M. G., he was appointed postmaster at Free-
land. Md., and has held the same continuously
ever since. This makes Mr. Gemmill the old-
est postmaster at this time in the United
States in point of service and probably in years
also. (9) Sarah married William Kirkwood
Thompson. They had three sons and one
daughter. (10) Jennette married William
Wallace, son of James and Catharine (Gem-
mill) Wallace. Two sons and two daughters
were born to this union.

The homestead of William Gemmill, Sr.,
located two miles south of Cross Roads, and
purchased by him in 1756, has been in the Gem-
mill name ever since. William Gemmill, Sr.,
and all his family, except his daughter Ann,
were buried in the Downing or Old Guinston
cemetery.

JOHN McCALISTER GEMMILL, of
East Hopewell township, York county, is in-
fluential in its political, business, rehgious and
social circles. He was born on the farm he
now operates Jan. 16, 1848.

Mr. Gemmill received his preliminary
education in the public schools of his township,
and supplemented it with a course at Pleasant
Grove Academy, under Prof. Taggert and
Robert H. Smith, the latter afterward becom-
ing a distinguished member of the Baltimore
( Md. ) Bar. When twenty years of age Mr.
Gemmill left school and began teaching. He
became well and fa\'orably known as an edu-
cator, teaching in the public schools and at
Murphy's Academy. Mr. Gemmill was also
a salaried singer in some of Philadelphia's
leading churches. He had been reared to the
life of a farmer, but in 1868 migrated to Rock





/1v. -^e^t^yy^^hi^t^^A



BIOGRAPHICAL



147



Island, 111., and secured a clerkship in a hard-
ware stcre. It had been his intention to make
that citj^diis home and "grow up with the coun-
try," but in 1873, his father having" died, he
was called home. In 1875 he married Eliza-
beth T. Hamilton, who was born and reared
in Philadelphia, Pa., and was a lineal- descend-
ant of Sir William Hamilton, of Scotland.
Mrs. Gemmill's ancestors came direct from
Lanarkshire, Scotland, to America.

Mr. Gemmill spent the years 1875-76 in
Philadelphia, and a portion of this period was
engaged in the produce commission business ;
he then removed to the homestead, upon which
he has since resided. The farm consists of 125
acres, one of the most hig-hly cultivated tracts
in his section of the county. He has also
greatly interested himself in public afifairs, and
took a leading part in establishing the first
rural free delivery route in York county.

Mr. Gemmill has been very active in Ma-
sonic circles in York county, his initiation in
1893 taking place in York Lodge, No. 266,
F. & A. M. Later he joined Howell Chapter,
No. 199, York; in 1895 Gethsemane Com-
mandery , No. 75, York (of which he was
elected eminent commander in 1906) ; and in
1902 was admitted and constituted a Noble of
the Mystic' Shrine in Rajah Temple, A. A. O.
N. M. S., at Reading, later transferring his
membership to Zembo Temple, Harrisburg. He
joined the Round Hill Presbyterian Church in
East Hopewell township about 1897, and has
вЦ†continuously been one of its most active mem-
bers. He has served as trustee since that year,
is a teacher and assistant superintendent of
the Simday-school, and has been chorister for
the past thirty years. He is a stanch Repub-
lican, and for two years he served his township
as a careful, interested school director.

To Mr. and Mrs. Gemmill have been born
the following named children: Anna E., wife
of Rev. C. G. H. Ettlich, pastor of the Hope-
well Presbyterian Church, has two children,
Olga and Alma; William H., of East Hope-
well township, married ]\Iae ^Manifold, and has
two children, Wilma and Robert: Albert V.,
who for the past several years has been a pro-
fessor in the Goldie College, \\ilmington, mar-
ried Anna F. Smith and they have one child,
Elizabeth Evelyn; John M.. Jr., is of Phila-
delphia, Pa. ; Florence attends normal school
at West Chester, Pa. ; and Roscoe, Chauncey
and Norman are at home.



HENRY LUCKING, Sr., a retired brick
and hme burner of York, Pa., comes from good
old German stock, and is himself a native of
Germany, born Sept. 2, 1835. His parents,
Caspar and Latheruie ( Steinschamp) Lucking,
both died in Germany, as did our subject's only
brother. Christian.

Henry Lucking, Sr., came to America in
1854, landing at Baltimore, Md., on May i8th
of that year. He arrived in the morning, and
in the evening of the same day left for York,
where he has since resided. His education was
rather limited, owing to the fact that he was
obhged to support himself, and his first occu-
pation was burning limestone, which he fol-
lowed for one year in York. In 1861 he en-
gaged in burning lime, a business in which he
\yas very successful until he retired from active
life, in 1904, since when he has led a quiet
life in his handsome residence at No. 115 South
Water street, York. Mr. Lucking, in connec-
tion with lime burning, also engaged in burning
brick for eleven years, and in this business, as
in the other, he prospered greatly.

In 1858 Henry Lucking, Sr., was united in
marriage with Miss :Mary Kottcamp, daughter
of Frederick Kottcamp, and to this union the
following children were born: Emma, de-
ceased, who was the wife of Wesley Hilde-
brand; Jennie M., at home; Henry, Jr., who is
in the coal and wool business ; Rose, deceased,
who married Jacob Keener; Daniel F., a ma-
chinist residing at No. 1 1 1 South Water street,
York ; Ellen, the wife of Rev. John Kleffman,
a U. B. minister now located at Carlisle, Pa.:
Lillie M. and Mollie F., at home; and Ida, wife
of John L. Rouse, an attorney of York, who is
now serving as city solicitor. The mother of
this family died in 1877. Mr. Lucking was
married July 28, 1879, to Mrs. Annie Kott-
camp, widow of Frederick Kottcamp. Mr. and
Mrs. Lucking are members of the First United
Brethren Church in York. In politics he is a
Republican.

HENRY LUCKING, Jr., a prosperous
coal and wood dealer of York, whose place of
business is conveniently situated on ^^'est Prin-
cess street and the Bridge, was born in York
in i860, son of Henn' and Mary (Kottcamp)
Lucking. He attended the schools of that city,
and learned the blacksmith's trade with Spang-
ler Bros., which occupation he followed for



148



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



eight and one half years. In 1884 he engaged
in the coal and wood business on College a.ve-
nue, where he continued tor eight years, at the
end of which period he came to his present
place of business, where he has since been lo-
cated. His business is constantly increasing,
and Mr. Lucking's straightforward ways ot
dealing together with his reputation for hon-
esty and mtegrity, have won the confidence of
the people of Vork, thereby securing for him a
constant trade.

Mr. Lucking was married first to Alice
Greiman, a daughter of Charles F. Greiman,
and she died in 1894, and was buried at Pros-
pect Hill cemetery. She bore her husband the
following children; Evel3'n K., Charles H.,
]\Iary C, Mabel E., George D., Annie and
Paul E. Mr. Lucking, after the death of his
first wife, married Irene M. Butler, and they
reside in their pleasant home at No. 514 South
Duke street. In his political belief Mr. Luck-
ing is a Republican. He and his family are
valued members of Christ Lutheran Church of
York.

MILTON B. GIBSON, ex-mayor of
York, York county, is the great-grandnephew
of Chief Justice John Bannister Gibson. The
Gibson family is of Scotch-Irish descent and
one of the oldest and best known in Penns}^-
vania, and has left its impress upon the social,
political and military history of the State.

Col. George Gibson, Mayor Gibson's
great-great-grandfather, was a son of George
Gibson, Esq., of Lancaster, Pa., a notable
figure in the early military life of the country,
who emigrated to America from County
Derry, Ireland, early in the eighteenth cen-
tury. In his younger manhood Col. Gibson
had been engaged in the trade to the West
Indies, and afterward was a trader with the
Indians at Fort Pitt. Returning to the East,
he bought a farm and settled at Gibson's Rock,
Perry county (then a part of Cumberland),
and married Anna West, a descendant of the
Wests of Ireland. During the Revolutionary
war he enlisted at Fort Pitt a company of 100
brave men, sharpshooters known "as "Gibson's
Lambs." He was commissioned colonel of
the 1st Virginia Regiment, joined Washing-
ton before the evacuation of New York, and
took part in many of the leading battles of the
Revolution. In 1791 he took command of a reg-



iment under Gen. St. Clair, in his campaign
in Ohio against the Indians of the Northwest
Territory, and lost his life at the battle of
Miami Village, dying at Fort Jefferson, Ohio,
Dec. 14, 1 79 1. He left three sons, of whom
John Bannister Gibson became Chief Justice
of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, occu-
pying the bench from 18 16 to 1851, and was
one of the most distinguished jurists of the
State. Another son, Brig.-Gen. George Gib-
son, was chief of the commissary department
for a period of forty years. The third son was
Francis F., great-grandfather of Milton B.
Gibson, who was also in the army, and filled
several civil positions with honor and fidelity.
A relative of these gentlemen, whose name was
also George Gibson, was a Presidential elector



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 28 of 201)