Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 29 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 29 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


in 1789, voting for the first President of the
United States. Other relatives of the grand-
father of our subject held eminent and re-
sporisible positions under the State govern-
ment.

Robert Gibson, the grandfather of ]\Iilton
B. Gibson, was a native and resident of Perry
county. Pa., and was familiarly known as
"Squire Gibson. He was appointed justice-of-
the-peace by Gov. Pollock, and served continu-
ously in that ofifice for a period of thirty-seven
years. He marrieid Hannah KreameT, and
they were blessed with three children : Francis
F., George A. and Mary.

Francis F. Gibson was a surveyor by pro-
fession, but during the latter part of his life
pursued a general merchandise business near
Landisburg, Perrj^ county, where he died in
1867, when only thirty-seven years old. He
was married to Mary Ann Sheibley, daughter
of Judge Jacob Sheibley, of Perry county, who
died, leaving a son. Francis S. Several years
later Mr. Gibson married again, espousing
Catherine E. Baker, granddaughter of the late
Conrad Holman, of Periy county. This union
was blessed \vith two children : Milton Bucher
and Walter Spotts, the latter dying in infancy.

Milton B. Gibson's father died when he
was but seven years old and he grew to man-
hood deprived of paternal care. He received
his elementary education in the common
schools, completed his academic studies at
Bloomfield Academy, in his native county, and
taught successfully for three years. In 1881
he purchased his father's property near Lan-
disburg, and engaged in mercantile pursuits




z




- ^=^



BIOGRAPHICAL



149



for several years, during which time he became
•interested in the Weaver Organ & Piano Com-
pany, which was at that time building the
factory which it now occupies in York. Mr.
Gibson became a stockholder, and, making a
success as a retail salesman of their instru-
ments, was soon appointed State representa-
tive for the company in Pennsylvania. In
1885 he removed to York, where he has since
resided. In 1886 he was elected secretary of
the company, and in September, 1890, at the
death of Mr. J. O. Weaver, the founder of
the company, he was elected treasurer and
general manager in addition to the secretary-
ship. In 1896 he was elected to his present
position, that of president of the company.
The Weaver Organ & Piano Company has
now a capacity that enables it to supply far
more than a mere local market, and the details
of its present output will be found elsewhere.

Milton B. Gibson was married, April 18,
1882, to Miss Elizabeth S. Shumaker, daugh-
ter of Samuel Shumaker, of Harrisburg, Pa.,
who was prominent in public and business af-
fairs of Perry county. To this union were
born five children: Holman S., who died July
10, 1897; Amy Ruth, who died in infancy in
1889; Edith Belle, wife of W. T. Sibbett,
manager of the Keystone carpet mills; Cath-
erine Blanche and Marion Elisabeth, both
graduates of the York high school, class of
1905.

In politics Mr. Gibson is a Republican,
and in 1898 he was elected to the select coun-
cil of the city of York for a period of four
years, from the Second ward. In 1902 he was
elected mayor of York for a period of three
years. He is a member and one of the organ-
izers of Heidelberg Chapter, No. 38, Brother-
hood of Andrew and Philip, a religious organ-
ization, and is a member and past chancellor
of Crystal Lodge, No. 248, Knights of Pyth-
ias. In religion he is affiliated with the Re-
formed Church, being a member of the con-
gregation at Heidelberg, in which he is an
elder and has been acting superintendent of
the Sunday-school for the past twelve years.
Mr. Gibson is a director of the Young Men's
Christian Association of York, and a member
of its important committees. He is also vice-
president of the Pennsylvania State Sunday-
School Association, of which ]\Ir. John Wana-
maker is president.



Mr. Gibson was one of the organizers of
the York Card & Paper Company, and was a
director and vice-president of the company for
several years. He is a member of the Inter-
national Advisory Board of the Philadelphia
Commercial Museum, and was a delegate to
the congress of delegates for North and South
America which met in Philadelphia, June ist
to 5th, 1897, to dedicate the museum and trans-
act business of international import. Mr. Gib-
son is a sagacious business man, and his abili-
ties have pushed to the fore the important com-
pany which he represents.

Mr. Milton B. Gibson has for years been a
conspicuous figure in the ranks of the Repub-
lican party in York, and in addition to hav-
ing been- a member of the select council, and
mayor of the city, was one of the committee
on the eminently successful sesqui-centennial
celebration of the organization of York county,
•observed in York, the first week in September,
1899. The committee was chosen by the city
council, the board of trade and the Merchants'
Association. Mr. Gibson became president of
the joint committee, and was one of the chief
promoters of the grand jubilee, and took an
active part in the preparation of the memorial
volume published at that time.

As mayor of York, Mr. Gibson honored
the city as much as the city honored him. his
clean and dignified administration of the city's
affairs having had much to do with maintain-
ing the Republican supremacy which was so
emphatically expressed in the election of Feb-
ruary, 1905. In brief, Mr. Gibson is honored
abroad as much as at home, and it was a fit-
ting compliment to him and to the city that he
was made a member and served on the staff
of the late Gen. Joseph Wheeler in the great
inaugural parade March 4, 1905 — a parade
that was the prelude to the most notable inaug-
uration in the historj^ of the country.

THEODORE R. HELB occupies a lore-
most place among the prominent business men
of York which would justify his being pointed
out as one of the notable examples of the self-
made man in that city today. The average man
is well contented to achieve success in the com-
mercial affairs to which his best talents must
be devoted'. But Mr. Helb has broader ideas
of life, believing that mere money getting
cannot fill the full measure cf human satisfac-



I50



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



tion, and, as he was obliged to give his early
)ears entirely to work, so he has made time
snice opportunity permitted for travel and the
social amenities m which he takes such pleasure.
He is still in his prime, and able to enjoy to the
full the ample fortune he has accumulated. The
fact that it has been acquired by his own ef-
forts undoubtedly gives his appreciation a
keener point.

Mr. Helb is one of York county's native
sons, having been born Oct. 17, 185 1, in
Shrewsbury township (now Railroad bor-
ough). He attended the public schools there
and in the city of Baltimore, and began work
early, learning the trade of brewer. When he
began the business for himself at York, in 1873,
there was nothing to suggest the magnificent es-
tablishment which he now owns and conducts.
So modest, indeed, was his start that for the
first ten years he himself did the most import-
ant part of the manual labor necessary, having
one assistant during the winter ' months, and
none the rest of the year. But Mr. Helb knew
his business thoroughly, and realized its possi-
bilities. He was also apt at recognizing real
improvements and has always had a progres-
sive spirit which not only enabled him to keep
up with new methods and ideas, but also to in-
augurate a number himself. By strict attention
to the wants of his patrons he increased his
custom until he found' it had reached Avhat to
him would have been at one time undreamed-of
proportions. He was conservative and not
over-sanguine, and only added to or remodeled
his brewery as the actual demand's of business
necessitated. But he was never slow to take ad-
vantage of a good opening or indifferent to his
opportunities, and he has at the present day an
establishment which for up-to-date equipment
in second' to none in the country. It is finely
planned architecturally, presenting an artistic
appearance, and no establishment in York is
kept up better. That Mr. Helb is one of the
most substantial citizens of York, the most
prominent man in his line in that city,
and one of the best known throughout
the United States, is but the natural
climax to his career, though to the mere
observer, with nothing to judge the race
by but the start and the finish, it seems ex-
traordinary. He commenced with absolutely
no financial assistance, a fact which kept him
in rpoderate circumstances for a number of



years, during which he was obliged to make the
best use of his inherent traits of thrift and
economy. Thus he fixed many excellent habits,
\\hich have won him good-will and friendship
wherever he has gone. His chief character-
istics are the sterling ones that form the basis
of success and happiness of the lasting sort — •
industry, honesty, application and reasonable
enterprise.

Among the secret fraternities Mr. Helb is
well known, being a member of the Odd Fel-
lows, Elks, Foresters, Knights of Pythias,
Knights of the Mystic Chain, Knights of '^Malta,
Red Men and Heptasophs. He has taken par-
ticular interest in the last named order, which
he helped to organize, and of which he was the
first supreme treasurer, holding that office for
four years.

Mr. Helb was married to Emma Louise
Rausch, daughter of John Rausch, a shoe mer-
chant of Baltimore, Md., and two children have
been born of this union, Louis and Herbert,
both of whom have been well-educated, Louis
being a graduate of Nazareth Hall, and of the
Polytechnic Institute, class of 1894; Herbert
graduated from the Mar\-land Institute, in Bal-
timore, in 1903. Both sons are engaged with
their father in official capacities. The family
home is a magnificent brownstone and marble
structure, probably the costliest residence in the
city, and is charming in all its appointments.

Mr. Helb has probably found fiis greatest
pleasure in travel. He has made five voyages
to Eurooe, having visited every European
country except Servia and Bulgaria, and there
are only two States in the Union which Mr.
Helb has not visited, those being Arkansas and
South Dakota. He has visited Egypt and Pal-
estine, Turkey, Asia Minor and Greece and was
accompanied on one of the latter trips by his
son Herbert, in company with whom he also
w'ent to Alaska, and British Columbia. On
another occasion he made an extended' visit to
Mexico, and twice he went to California.

JL^LIUS C. HELB, who has carried on
a bottling business at York for a number of
years, has had an interesting and successful
career. In his present enterprise he has de-
veloped an extensive patronage by straight
business methods and up-to-date service to his
customers, and' he is ranked among the reliable
business men of the citv. He was born T"ly



BIOGRAPHICAL



28, 1862, in Railroad bcrough. York county,
and is one of the sons of the late Frederick
Helb, a full account of whose life and work will
be found elsewhere in this work.

Mr. Helb was educated in the German
schools of Baltimore. When he commenced
work he learned the trade of tanner, with his
father, and was engaged at same during the
greater part of his early manhood, though be-
fore he had reached his majority he followed
the sea for two years, and also put in one year
at railroad work. He was only nineteen when
be entered the service of the Pennsylvania Rail-
way Company, being engaged as signalman and
trainmaster's assistant. His experiences as a
mariner were varied and interesting. He even-
tually became his lather's successor in the tan-
nery business at Railroad borough. After
remaining there two years he bought and oper-
ated the Union tannery at Manchester, Md., at
which place he was located for six years. He
then sold the plant and turned his attention to
another line, buying the wholesale bottling
works of Schmidt & Wagner, of Hanover,
where he did business for live years. He next
located in Railroad borough, where he erected
and operated the F. Helb & Sons furniture fac-
tory for two }'ears. Then he came to York and
established his present bottling plant, on East
Market street, where he has been continuously
engaged up to the present time. He bottles im-
ported and leading western beers, and is the au-
thorized bottler of Helb's Brewery. His facil-
ities insure the utmost satisfaction from his pa-
trons, as his establishment is one of the best
ecjuipped in the entire countrj^ Mr. Helb has
left nothing undone which would add to the
completeness or efficiency of his plant, and he
employs up-to-date methods, being a leader in
this respect. His standing as a business man
is irreproachable.

Mr. Helb was united in marriage, Sept. 3,
1886, to Sophia Schenk, daughter of Jacob and
Sophia Schenk, of Pfahlbach, Oehringen, Wur-
temberg, Germany, and four children were
born of this union, one dying in infancy. The
survivors are: Theodore Edward, who is a
graduate of Patrick's Business College, and
George Curtis and Charles Julius, who still at-
tend school.

Fraternally Mr. Helb belongs to the
Knights of Pythias and the Improved Order of



Red Men, and is an earnest worker in the Fra-
ternal Order of Eagles, Eyrie No. 183, of
which he has been a member since he resided in
York. Politically he supports the Republican
party. In religion he inclines to the doctrines
of the Lutheran Church.

JAMES AXDERSOX, ex-county poor
director, and an influential citizen of East
Hopewell township, York county, was born in
the old log house on his father's farm, June
4, 1843, son of James and ^lary E. (Miller)
Anderson.

James Anderson, the great-grandfather of
our subject, was born in Ireland, and came to
America with his wife. He took up 339 acres
of land in what is now East Hopewell town-
ship, the tract being known on the old patent
as "Unlikely Harbour." It was patented in
two tracts, the first bearing the date qf Feb. 18,
1773, and the other Dec. 21, 1786.

James Anderson, son of James, was born
on this farm, and followed farming through-
out life. He acquired the home farm, upon
which he remained until his death, which oc-
curred in 1832 ; he was buried in the old Round
Hill cemetery, where his wife, who had been
Esther Thom, of Dauphin county, was also
interred. They were Presbyterians in faith,
being what was known as Blue Stocking Pres-
byterians. The children born to this worthy
couple were : James, the father of our sub-
ject; John, who died in Hopewell township,
married Susan Brown; \\'illiam went to Han-
cock Co., Ohio, where he married Jane

and died ; Esther, Mrs. Joseph Edgar, died in
East Hopewell township ; Sarah. Mrs. Thomas
Grove, died in Chanceford township ; Marga-
ret, Mrs. William Wilson, died in Hopewell
township ; Rachel died unmarried as did
Agnes ; and Polly, became the wife of War-
rick Anderson, who accompanied her brother
to Ohio, and she died in that State.

James Anderson, the father of our subject,
and the third of that name, was born in the
old log house where three generations of the
family have been born, Alarch 6, 1799, and re-
ceived the education common to the youths of
his day. He followed farming all of his life,
taking the home place at the death of his
father. He sold loi acres to his brother John,
from whom he later repurchased it. He erect-



15^



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



ed a stone house on another part of the farm
about 1850, and there died in May, 1876. He
was a member of the Round Hill Presbyterian
Church in his earlier years. , Reared a Whig
when the Know Nothing' party came into ex-
istence he joined the Democrats. James An-
derson married Mary E. Miller, born in Hope-
well township, daughter of John and Eliza-
beth (Trout) Miller, and she survived her
husband until about 1885, when she passed
away. She had these children : Esther,
died in infancy; Esther, married William Zel-
lers and died in Hopewell township; Eliza-
beth, twin to Esther, married Benjamin An-
derson, and lives in Fawn township ; John, of
Red Lion, married Alice Flinchbaugh ; James,
our subject; Sarah Agnes, died at the age of
twenty-two years ; Priscilla E., died at the age
of twenty-three years; Susan A. M., deceased
single ; and Geary F., of Hopewell township,
married Annie McFatridge.

James Anderson, ovu' subject, attended the
old-fashioned schools, his first teacher being
Lucretia Prall, and the last, a Mr. Ebaugh. He
remained with his father until his twenty-fifth
year, when he started out in life for himself.
He purchased the tract which he now owns,
formerly owned by his father, and erected all
of the buildings on the place. Mr. Anderson
has successfully followed the calling of his
ancestors. His property is well located, his
buildings commodious, and his home surround-
ings indicative of thrift and good manage-
ment. He has been an ardent Democrat all
of his life, and cast his first vote for McClel-
lan. Since that time he has missed voting
but two elections, one being when Greeley was
candidate, when Mr. Anderson would not sup-
port him. He has served in many township
offices. Li a strong Republican township he
was elected justice of the peace for one term
and prior to this he served one term as school
director. He was elected poor director in the
fall of 1899 and served as such one term. Li
1904 he served as supervisor of his township.
He is a member of the Stewartstown Presby-
terian Church.,

Mr. Anderson was married, in 1877, to
Miss Mary McFatridge, born in Hopewell
township, daughter of Georp'e and Susan
(Grove) ]\IcFatridge, the former of whom,
who was a shoemaker by trade although he



followed farming, is now deceased, while the
latter is still living, aged about sixty-nine
years. Mrs. Anderson is a member of the
Stewartstown Presbyterian Church and of the
Home Missionary Society. The children
born to Mr. and Mrs. Anderson are as follows :
William L., in the feed business in York;
James Thom, ex-teacher, in the feed business
with his brother, William; Alda E., educated
in the public schools, the York County Aca-
demy and the Shippensburg Normal; George
E., Robert R., Mary Susan and Georgie A.,
all at home; and Esther J., who died in infancy.

GEORGE E. HOLTZAPPLE, M. D.
Hesse-Cassel of the Fatherland contributed
the name of Holtzapple to the records of
American patriots who braved the dangers and
privations of a pioneer life in order to obtain
the precious boon of liberty. The emigrant
ancestor settled in Lancaster county, the next
generation moving to a point some three miles
northwest of the present site of York — then a
wild and unbroken wilderness. There and
thereabouts succeeding generations of the
family have tilled the soil and maintained an
honored name to the present day. A worthy
member of the last generation is Dr. George
E. Holtzapple, a prominent and successful
physician of York.

Erasmus Holtzapple, the original emigrant,
crossed the Atlantic in 1731. Christian names
then grow dim with the years until Grand-
father George Holtzapple appears on the
scene, a prosperous, stirring farmer of "ye old
time" when the tiller of the soil stood first in
the ranks of society. Li his generation the
father also, Israel E. Holtzapple, was a man
of influence and position in the communit3^
his farm consisting of a part of the original
Holtzapple holdings. Israel E. Holtzapple
married Christiana Lecrone, daughter of John
Lccrone, of an old and worthy agricultural
family of the county, and . they became the
parents of eight children, three sons and five
daughters. Of these children, Noah P. died
in July, 1903; John H. is a machinist in York;
Mary is the wife of Adam Stover, of York;
Ella J. is the widow of J. D. Folkemer, of
Baltimore ; Clara A. married Charles Myers,
a farmer at Hanover Junction ; Louisa A. mar-
ried Edward Gladfelter, a merchant at Seven
Valley ; Annie I. is Mrs. \A'iley Shepperd, of




¥





'aJ)JpA^



BIOGRAFHICAL



153



Seven Valley ; and Dr. George E. is mentioned
below. Israel E. Holtzapple, the father, lived
the Psalmist's allotted span, and died Oct. 13,
1900, but his widow is still living, being now
sixty-nine years of age.

On the old homestead which had witnessed
the joys and sorrows of many of his ancestors.
Dr. Holtzapple first opened his eyes on the
scene of action. May 22; 1862. The period of
childhood and adolescence was spent in the
manner of children of the well-to-do farmers
of that section of the county, his earlier
scholastic training being that of the country
school. Before taking up his professional
course the Doctor attended York Collegiate
Institute, several sessions of the York County
Normal School, and taught four years in the
public schools of York county. He then en-
tered Bellevue Hospital Medical College of
New York, and after a thorough course there
was graduated in the class of 1884. Dr. Holtz-
apple has always been a deep student of his
profession, and besides his private reading has
taken two post-graduate courses in medicine
and one in philosophy, in 1894 at the Post-
graduate Medical School and Hospital in New
York, and in 1899 ^^ Johns Hopkins Medical
School in Baltimore. His course in philosophy
was what is known as a non-resident course,
covering a period of three years, the school be-
ing Lebanon Valley College.

Upon taking his degree in 1884, Dr. Holtz-
apple practiced for a short period at Logan-
ville. York county, and then at Seven Valley,
W'here he established the excellent reputation
which made it a comparatively easy mat-
ter to secure the splendid practice which
he now enj oys in York. As referred to
before, the Doctor is a student, a lover
of his profession, and is enthusiastic in
everything that pertains to it. He has made
quite a reputation as a writer on medical topics,
these forming important and valuable contribu-
tions to medical literature. He was one of the
first to make use of oxygen-gas in the treat-
ment of pneumonia, and in other acute affec-
tions attended by carbonic acid-gas poisoning.
He also made a most valuable contribution on
that rare and unique disease known as "family
periodic paralysis" and its treatment. He re-
ported seventeen cases, with six deaths, a
larger number than had hitherto been reported
by any American observer, and the first deaths



in this disease reported in medical literature.
By invitation the Doctor read an extensive
paper on this subject at the annual meeting of
the American Medical Association, held in
Portland, Oregon, in July, 1905.

Dr. Holtzapple keeps in close touch with
his profession through the different organiza-
tions, being a member of the county. State and
national societies, and he is attending physi-
cian to York hospital. He has for a number of
years been the reporter of the local county so-
ciety for the Pennsylvania "Medical Journal,"
the official journal of the State Society. As a
member of the committee of Arrangements for
the Fifty-third annual meeting of the State so-
ciety, and chairman of the committee on Halls
and Exhibits, he contributed largely to the
splendid success of that meeting. The Doctor
has served as president of the local societ)^
and while at Seven Valley was surgeon to the
Northern Central Railroad.

In 1902, in order to get some relief from
the extensive practice he was required to serve.
Dr. Holtzapple traveled extensively in Eng-
land, France, Spain, Belgium, Germany,
Austria and the valley of the Rhine, returning
to his work with increased enthusiasm. Three
years later ( 1905) with his family he made a
ten-thousand mile tour of the home land, visit-
ing Yellowstone National Park and the Great
West, including the exposition at Portland,
Ore., where, as stated before, he attended the
meeting of the American Medical Association.

On Dec. 9, 1886, Dr. George E. Holtzapple
was united in marriage to Miss Mahala Glad-
felter, daughter of Philip and Catherine Glad-
felter, substantial farming people of the
county, now both deceased. To this union has
been born one child, Gertrude Sabilla, now an
interesting and attractive student at York Col-
legiate Institute.

Dr. Holtzapple is an active and prominent
worker in Christ Lutheran Church, taking
great interest in the young people and
their welfare, being at the present time assist-
ant superintendent of the Sunday-school. He
is an active worker in the Y. M. C. A., and is
also a member of the York County Historical
Society. Both he and his family have made a



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 29 of 201)