Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 31 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 31 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


High School and Dickinson Business College,
Carlisle, Pa. He began his business career as
a merchant, continuing the same for twelve
years, during which time, he was associated
with G. W. Welsh. At the expiration of that
period Mr. Bair engaged in his present busi-
ness, consisting of real estate, insurance,
stocks, bonds and investment securities. Be-
sides the political career to which reference is
made above, Mr. Bair was for three years a
member of the school board, representing the
Fourth ward of Hanover. He is a member
of the Knights of the Mystic Chain ; of the
Royal Arcanum, which was organized in 1886;
and of the Benevolent and Protective Order
of Elks.

I\Ir. Bair was married Nov. 26, 1869, to
Miss Emma C, daughter of George W. and
Maria (McSherry) Welsh. To Mr. and Mrs
Bair two sons have been born, Edward W.. a
successful insurance broker of Philadelphia;
and Ray W., a student at State College. Mr.
and Mrs. Bair are members of St. Mathew's
Lutheran Church.

HARRIS LENTZ, director of the County
Poor of York county, Pa., is a native of



Springfield township, born there Oct. 4, 1835,
son of Daniel Lentz.

The grandfather of our subject was a na-
tive of Springfield township, where he fol-
lowed farming, and had these children : John,
Frederick, George, Joseph and Daniel. The
last named was a farmer in Springfield town-
ship. He and his brother, John, purchased the
old homestead and there Daniel remained until
his death, June 9, 1864, at the age of seventy-
five years. His widow, Lydia Falkemer, died
Sept. 29, 1893, aged ninety-two years, and
both are buried at Bupp's Union Church in
Springfi.eld township. Their children were :
Daniel, is deceased ; Harris ; Leah, widow of
Eli Ehrhart, lives in North Codorus township ;
John, who married Susan Leader, lives in York
township, where he follows farming; Cath-
erine, the widow of William, Burns, is living
in Paradise; Anna Mary, who died in 1874,
was the wife of H. Glessner.

Harris Lentz attended the schools of
Springfield township, and at the age of eigh-
teen years engaged in the carpenter's trade,
which he followed thirty-three years. He was
for two years employed with the Northern
Central Railroad, from Baltimore to Marys-
ville, and from York to Wrightsville, for a
time having charge of a gang of men. Mr.
Lentz built some of the finest buildings now
standing in York county, especially in Spring-
field township, having employed from ten to
sixteen skilled mechanics. He followed con-
tracting until 1866, in which year he, in com-
pany with Fred Scott, purchased the old
Falkemer homestead of 234 acres. He also
owned the old homestead of 100 acres. Mr.
Lentz now resides on a small place of six
acres.

Harris Lentz married Malinda Beck,
daughter of Adam Beck, of North Codorus
township, and they had these children : Noah,
born Oct. 15, 1859, married Sarah Stiles, and
lives in York; Sarah A., born May 21,. 1861,
married Frederick Tyson, a carpenter of
York; Lydia A., born Oct. 13, 1862, died Aug.
13, 1866; Ameline, born Nov. 2, 1864, died
Aug. 2, 1865 ; Cornelius, born July 3, 1867.
married Ida Illus, and at present is township
supervisor of Springfield township; Anna
Mary, born Oct. 23, 1869, married John
Mecklev. of Springfield township; Mageie.-
born Feb. 22, 1872, married xA.ugustus Doll.



i6o



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



of York; William H., born May 13, 1874,
married Katie Stough, and is farmmg in
Spring-field township; Arabella, born Oct. 24,
1876, married William Roser, and also lives
in that township; Harvey, born April 6, 1879,
married Carrie Burns, of Spring-field town-
ship; Harry, bom Feb. 20, 1881, married Ly-
dia Krout, and they also live in Springfield
township; Emanuel, born May 14, 1883, mar-
ried Daisy Kerchner, of Shrewsbury town-
ship, and is living at home; and Charles E.
C, born May 26, 1886, is living with his
brother, Harry.

Politically Mr. Lentz is a Democrat, and
was elected director of the poor in 1902, a
position he has held up to the present date.^ He
is a member of Paradise Lutheran Church, in
which he has held the office of elder for a
number of years. He is considered one of
Springfield township's representative men,
and is highly esteemed in the township for his
many sterling traits of character.

JOSEPH DISE. In a publication which
purports to touch upon the history of the men
and forces whose contribution to the develop-
ment and material and civil prosperity of York
county has been of distinctive scope and im-
portance, it is imperative that definite mention
be made of Joseph Dise, who is one of the
most honored citizens and most prominent
business men of the attractive and thriving
little city of Glen Rock, where he has main-
tained his home for many years. He is a na-
tive of York county, and in both paternal and
maternal lines comes of old and honored fam-
ilies of this section of Pennsylvania. Aside
from his particularly successful career as a
business man and his precedence as a worthy
and public-spirited citizen, to him also belongs
the distinction of being a veteran of the Civil
war, in which he rendered loyal service.

The Dise family was founded in York
county in the early pioneer epoch, the first rep-
resentatives of the name having located here
in the latter years of the eighteenth century,
as is manifest from the fact that Henry M.
Dise, grandfather of our subject, came from
the upper part of the State, or from along the
Susquehanna river, and settled in Springfield
township, York county, there passing the rest
of his life. He was a blacksmith by trade and
vocation, and also became the owner of val-



uable real estate, being one of the influential
citizens of his township. His wife, whose,
maiden name was Falkenstine, died there also.
They were the parents of five children, all of
whom except John F. and William are now de-
ceased, namely: David, Henry, John F., Will-
iam F. and Mandilla, the last named having
become the wife of Ephraim Trout.

Henry Dise, father of our subject, was
born in Springfield township, York county,
Feb. 22, 1820, and there passed the greater
portion of his life, having been a carpenter by
trade and vocation. His death, the result of
an accident, occurred May 13, 1853, when he
was aged thirty-three years, two months and
twenty-one days. He was a young man of
sterling character, and was taken from the
scene of life's endeavors in the very flower of
his vigorous young manhood. He married
Miss Eve Seitz, who was born May 29, 1823,
and was reared in York county, daughter of
Rev. John Seitz, who was for many years
here prominent as a local preacher of the Evan-
gelical Church, and who was a member of one
of the prominent pioneer families of the
county, as was also his wife, whose maiden
name was Elizabeth Stabley. Rev. John and
Elizabeth Steiz became the parents of seven-
teen children, and many descendants still re-
main in the county, the names of the children
who attained maturity having been as follows :
Daniel, Jacob, Benjamin, Samuel, John.
George, Noah, Adam S.. Joseph, Elizabeth
(Mrs. Henry Meyers), Lena (Mrs. Joseph
Sykes),' Christina (Mrs. William Ludwig).
Catherine (Mrs. Francis Grove), and Eve
(mother of our subject). Mrs. Eve (Seitz)
Dise survived her husband many years, and
was summoned to the life eternal Nov. 4. 1882.
aged fifty-nine years, five months and seven
days. Henry Dise and wife became the par-
ents of five children, as follows: Benjamin is
a resident of Avis, Pa., and is a minister of
the Lutheran Church; Uriah S. is engaged in
manufacturing at Glen Rock, Pa. ; Anna Mary
is the wife of Lyman B. Moody, of Glen Rock:
Leah E. is the' wife of Jacob W. Herbst. of
Seitzland ; and Joseph is mentioned below.

Joseph Dise was born in Springfield town-
ship, York Co., Pa., Oct. 8, 1849, and was but
four years of age at the time of his father's
death. At the age of six he was placed in the
liome of his uncle, Adam S. Seitz. of Spring-





^i<5§!^>^^/



BIOGRAPHICAL



i6i



field township, with whom he remained one
year, after which he was reared to the age of
fourteen years in the home of his paternal
uncle, John F. Dise, a well-known farmer of
Shrewsbury township. In the public schools
of his native township he secured his early
educational discipline, which he later as a
young man supplemented by appreciative study
in nig'ht school at Glen Rock. He continued to
devote the major portion of his time to farm
work during his youth, and was thus engaged
at the time of the outbreak of the war of the
Rebellion. In 1864, though not yet sixteen
years of age, he manifested his patriotic ardor
by tendering his services in defense of the
Union, enlisted in Company H, 79th P. V. I.,
and was mustered in at Harrisburg. His com-
mand was assigned to the Army of the Cum-
berland, 3d Brigade, ist Division, 14th Army
Corps, and from September, 1864, until the
latter part of the following December, he was
detailed on special duty in the quartermaster's
department in front of Petersburg. On making
delivery of ammunition on the line of the Wel-
don railroad, his tent mate was killed by the ex-
plosion of a shell, he himself having- a narrow
escape. Mr. Dise participated in the battle
of Bentonville and several spirited skirmishes,
and at the time of the surrender of Gen.
Johnston his regiment was encamped on Cape
Fear river. North Carolina, from which point
the command forthwith started for the Fed-
eral capital, marching altogether a distance of
1,100 miles in the pursuit of Johnston and
afterwards to the Federal capital, requiring
about two months' time, and arriving in Wash-
ington May 22, 1865. With Sherman's forces
he participated in the historic Grand Review,
on the 24th of that month, and on the 12th of
the following July he was mustered out, near
Fairfax Seminary, while he received his pay
and honorable discharge on the 17th of the
latter month, at Camp Cadwalader, in the city
of Philadelphia. In Lancaster, the following
day, the regiment was tendered an enthusiastic
reception by the people of the city and sur-
rounding country, the occasion being a notable
one.

After thus closing his military career Mr.
Dise returned to York county, where he was
variously employed until April, 1867, when
he located in the village of Glen Rock, where
he served an apprenticeship at the carpenter's



trade, becoming a skilled workman and gain-
ing the status of a journeyman after serving
two and one-half years. Thereafter he en-
gaged in contracting and building, employing
several men, and continued operations along
this line about one year. In 1871 he entered
into partnership with Edward Anderson, in
the same field of enterprise, and shortly after-
ward he erected a store at the corner of Main
and Baltimore streets, in Glen Rock, and
there established himself in the furniture busi-
ness, in partnership with Mr. Anderson, this
being the first furniture store in the town. The
enterprise proved a very successful one, and
Mr. Dise continued to be actively identified
with the same until April, 1875, '^^'lien he sold
out and turned his attention to the retail lum-
ber business, in connection with the manufact-
uring of sash, doors, etc., in which undertak-
ing he was associated with other residents of
Glen Rock. He had charge of the factory in
the capacity of manager until March i. 1877,
when he purchased a third interest in the busi-
ness, which at that time was at a low ebb. He
infused such energy and discrimination into
the management of the concern that the busi-
ness soon began to advance in scope and im-
portance, and he has ever since continued to be
identified with the same, which represents at
the present time one of the leading industrial
enterprises of Glen Rock, the general manage-
ment being retained by Mr. Dise. Soon after
becoming associated with this business he also
took up the study of architecture, for which he
manifested a distinct predilection and talent,
becoming very proficient, and soon assuming
the work of executing the drawings and plans
for the major portion of the contracts entered
into by the firm of which he was a member,
the business having been originally conducted
under the title of Hoshour, Dise & Co., while
in March, 1894, it was incorporated as the Glen
Manufacturing Co. Mr. Dise was made treas-
urer and general manager of the company, of
which he is one of the largest stockholders, and
this dual office he still retains. The company
has a fine modern plant and gives employment
to a corps of about seventy men the year round.
Work of the best grade is turned out and the
concern has a high reputation on this score as
well as on that of reliability and fair dealing, *

all work being turned out on order or on con-
tract. It is a recognized fact that the upbuild-



t62



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENXSYLVANIA



ing- i"f this important industiy has been prin-
cipally accomplished through the efforts and
able administration of Mr. Dise. In his pro-
fessional work he has to his credit many fine
residences, principally in Middletown, Harris-
burg and other parts of Pennsylvania, and at
Roland Park and other leading and exclusive
suburbs of Baltimore, Md. ; while in addition
may be mentioned upwards of twenty-five
church buildings scattered over a large portion
of Pennsylvania and parts of Maryland.

In 1886, owing to rumors of oflicial mal-
feasance and mismanagement, the depositors
of the First National Bank became alarmed and
instituted a heavy run on the institution, the
withdrawal of deposits being such as to
threaten the ruin of the concern. The result
was that all but one of its officials were prose-
cuted and finally sentenced to the penitentiary,
and at this critical period of the bank's history
Mr. Dise assumed charge of its administrative
affairs, taking a block of its stock and becom-
ing a member of its directorate. Through his
advice and efforts a reorganization of the bank
was accomplished, and its affairs were placed
upon a solid basis, while public confidence was
soon regained, our subject having been chosen
president of the bank and having turned his
splendid energies to administering its affairs.
The deposit ledger soon gave most flattering
assurance, and the list of patrons includes not
only the original supporters but also many new
ones, while the institution is regarded as one
of the solid and ably conducted banking houses
of this county. Mr. Dise has otherwise shown
his versatility and enterprising spirit. In 1895
he was one of those prominently concerned in
the organization of the Glen Rock Wire Cloth
Co., of Glen Rock,, of which he was a large
stockholder, president and director for a num-
ber of years, and in 1890 he organized the In-
dustrial Sewing Co., of Glen Rock, being one
of the principal stockholders of the concern,
which now affords emplo}'ment to alDout one
hundred and sixty operatives. In public affairs
of a local nature Mr. Dise has shown a
hvely and helpful interest at all times, especially
in all that pertains to his home town. In 1900
he was elected a member of the village council,
and while incumbent of that position it was
largely due to his progressive attitude and de-
termined advocacy that the securing of an ordi-
nance providing for the establishing and main-



taining of the waterworks system was made
certain. He met with vigorous opposition on
the part of many taxpayers, but they all admit
the wisdom of his course and fully appreciate
the value of the fine water system which Glen
Rock enjoys to-day. For six years our sub-
ject served as secretary of the local board of
education, and it may well be said that he has
identified himself most intimately with the so-
cial, civic, public and business affairs of the
thriving little city which is the center of so
much of his interest. In politics Mr. Dise
gives his allegiance to the Republican party,
while his religious faith is indicated in his
prominent identification with the Lutheran
Church. He was for several years leader of
the church choir, has been for a number of
years pnst a member of the official board, while
since 1883 he has been treasurer of the church.
For the past thirty-five years he has been a
valued teacher in the Simday-school, while it
may be also noted that Mrs. Dise likewise is
prominent in the various departments of the
church work, as she is also in the best social
life of the town. In 1872 Mr. Dise associated
himself with an equally enthusiastic coadjutor,
Mr. Nathaniel Z. Seitz, and effected the organ-
ization of what is known as the Glen Rock
Musical Association, which has grown to be
an important adjunct to the social and artistic
life of the community. For eight years Mr.
Dise was leader and conductor of the said asso-
ciation, which has attained a national reputa-
tion, having given concerts in various sections
of the United States and Canada, by special
invitation, and having- met with most gratify-
ing- receptions. Mr. Dise has made a thorough
study of music, and aside from his interpreta-
tive skill he has also composed and published a
number of attractive band scores which have
gained marked popularity throughout the
Union. He wrote a prize composition for the
State Musical Association which met in Evans-
ville, Ind., and his selection not only gained
the prize, but also the hearty approval of musi-
cal critics of high reputation.

On Nov. 7, 1872, was solemnized the mar-
riage of Mr. Dise to Miss Amanda Frey, of
Freystown. this county, where she was born
and reared, the place, which was founded by
her grandfather, being now a part of the city
of York. To this union came children as fol-
lows : Charlotte N., wife of Rev. Elmer E.



BIOGRAPHICAL



163



Schantz, a clergyman of the Lutheran Church,
residing in Gordon, Pa. ; Robert E., who
died at the age of four years; Homer A., a
student, class of 1906, of the University of
Pennsyh-ania ; Mary E., who died at the age of
fourteen years; Joseph I., a student in the Uni-
versity of Pennsylvania, class of 1909; Alvin
P., attending the York Collegiate Institute, of
York; and Orin K., attending the public
schools.

ANDREW KEENER, living in Windsor
township, was born July 6, 1836, in that town-
ship, son of Henry and Catherine (Wise)
Keener.

Henry Keener wa$ a tailor by trade, and
he and his wife were the parents of these chil-
dren : Henry, deceased ; Jake, deceased ; Wil-
liam, deceased; Joseph; Andrew, our sub-
ject; Alexander, deceased; and Susan, Lydia,
Ann, Caroline and Jane, all deceased.

Andrew Keener attended the township
school near Felton, during the winter terms,
but the bad condition of the roads kept him at
home very often. During the summer, Mr.
Keener worked at farming, which has been
his chief occupation all his life. On Oct. 31,
1857, Mr. Keener married Miss Elizabeth
Shoff, born in Chanceford township, July 20,
1835, daughter of Christian and Catherine
( Markle) Shoff. Mr. Shoff was a day laborer
and the children born to him and his wife
were : Eve, deceased ; Zacharias, who lives
near McCall's Ferry; Elizabeth, wife of Mr.
Keener; Henry; Annie, deceased; Ruby, de-
ce:ised ; and Fanny.

After his marriage Mr. Keener located on
his father's farm for a while, and afterward
lived at various places, finally settling on his
present home, then a piece of five acres, in the
spring of 1870. He later added land to his
original purchase, and sold a part for building
lots. Mr. Keener has been ver}^ successful,
and is counted one of the substantial men of
the community. The family are valued and
consistent members of the United Brethren
Church, to which Mr. Keener is a liberal con-
tributor. Politically he is a Democrat.

Mr. and Mrs. Keener are the parents of the
following children: Cathrine E., born Sept.
.^. 1858, died at the age of four 3'ears; Susan,
born Sept. 18, 1859. married (first) Leander
Hess, and (second) Daniel Smith, and she re-



sides in North York; Mary M., born in No-
\ember, 1861, died young; Caroline E., born
Nov. 30, 1862; Christian Henry, twin to Car-
oline E., born Nov. 30, 1862, married Mary
Ellen Shrane, and they reside in Red Lion ;
John I., born Aug. 6, 1865, married Catherine
Sheaffer, and they reside in Red Lion; Jacob
A., born Feb. 28, 1S68, married Ida Runkle,
and they reside in Red Lion; Alice M., twin to
Jacob, died in young womanhood ; Pious A.,
born July 10, 1870, married Tillie Smeltzer,
and they live at home ; and Laura J., born June
15, 1873, married a Mr. Isensmith, of Dallas-
town.

WILLIS W. STAUFFER, a well known
educator of York county and principal of the
Red Lion schools, comes of an ancestry origin-
ally German, and the name in that language im-
plied a "staffbearer." The great-grandfather
of ^Villis Stauffer was one of three brothers
who came to this country before the Revolu-
tion and settled in Cumberland, Lancaster and
York counties, respectively.

The paternal grandfather was born in York
county and passed his life on a farm near
Frej'sville now "Bollinger's farm." He was
also a preacher in the Mennonite Church and
officiated in the Stony Brook Church, where his
son Moses is now installed as minister. Both
he and his w'ife died on their farm home. The
children were as follows : David, a cracker
manufacturer of York; Jacob, who died in
Riverton, Cumberland county ; Moses ; Joseph ;
Ryal, Mrs. Cormony, of York; Mrs. Ziegler,
who died in Freys-\'ille ; and Lydia, Mrs. Fred-
erick Vineka, of Wagner's ore bank.

Joseph Stauffer was born on the Freys-
ville homestead, and alike as boy and man fol-
lowed farming. He remained on the old place
until 1884, and then removed to his present
property in West Manchester township. He
married Miss Lizzie Winter, and they had the
following children : Willis W. ; Harry, a
blacksmith living at home and married to Miss
Lizzie Moul : Charles, of West Manchester
township, who married Miss Carrie Zarfoss;
and an adopted daughter, Mary Myers. Mr.
Stauffer. who has held several township of-
fices, is a Democrat in politics and a member
of the Lutheran Church, while his wife belongs
to the Reformed Church.

Willis W. Stauffer was born on his grand-



1 64



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



father's farm, Oct. 28, 1876. His education
■was begun in the FreysviUe school, where he
went for one term to old Prof. Kauffman, but
after his father moved to West Manchester
township, he went to the public schools there,
conthiuing till he was eighteen years old. Be-
ing of a true student's nature, he determined to
follow the profession of a teacher, and as a
step toward preparing himself he spent one
full year and two spring terms in the County
Normal School at York, studying under Profs.
Grass and Crowell. He took his first teacher's
examination when he was twenty years old, and
began his work in 1897, at Loucks school in
West Manchester. The spring of 1898, and
that of the following year, he spent in the West
Chester Normal School, and then taught two
terms in the home school. During the second
he was successful in starting a fine school li-
brary. After two terms more at the \Vest
Chester Normal, Mr. Stauffer was appointed
principal of the public schools of Hallton, Elk
county, and two years later, in the fall of 1904,
he received his appointment, as principal of the
Red Lion schools, where he has remained.
Since locating at Red Lion, he has started a
Normal school there, which opens in April
sometime, and continues eight weeks each year.
He also inaugurated a successful course of lec-
tures this last winter, which is to be repeated
again next season.

In Mr. Stauffer's early days even while in
York Academy, he displayed a marked literary
taste, and belonged to the school literary so-
ciety. As a teacher he has always been active
in starting township institutes and did much to
promote the West Manchester literary society,
as well as the one in Red Lion, later. He has
also instituted debates on questions of the day,
with the New Salem Literary Society, and in
fact throughout the county the cause of educa-
tion has received much impetus form Mr.
Stauffer's ability and enthusiasm. Politically
Mr. Stauffer is a Democrat, and cast hi« first
vote for Parker. He united originally with the
Lutheran Church at his old home, but since re-
siding in Red Lion has transferred his member-
ship to the Church there. He has always been
active in the church, particularly along musical
lines, organized a church choir at the Hallton
Methodist Church, and was a member of the



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 31 of 201)