Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 33 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 33 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Gettysburg, in 1893, ^"^1 from the Lutheran
Theological Seminary with the class of 1896.
His first charge was at Silver Run, Carroll Co.,
Md., where he remained seven years, and in the
fall of 1903 he came to his present charge,
known as the Jefferson ; it includes four
churches, the St. Jacob's (or Stone) Church,
Trinity, Zion and Bethlehem. Rev. Mr. Ehr-
hart is an earnest and conscientious worker,
and is doing goodi service in the congregations
under his care, whei'e he has made many
friends and gained much influence.

Rev. Mr. Ehrhart married Emma A. Strine,
daughter of Hon. E. Z. Strine, and they have
two children, Janet Elizabeth and Kenneth
Strine.

Hon. E. Z. Strine, an ex-member of the
House of Representatives of Pennsylvania, and
a prominent lawyer, was born in Strinestown,
Conewago township, June 11, 1842, a son of
Peter S. and Margaret (Zeigler) Strine. Peter
S. Strine was born in Conewago township in
181 5, and his wife in Codorus township in
181 7. He died in 1854, and is buried in L'nion
cemetery, Manchester borough, but the mother
survived some time and resided on the old
homestead at Strinestown, until her death, at-
taining an advanced age. Both were Dunk-
ards, and gave their son a religious training
from childhood. The great-grandfather, Peter
Strine, a native of Germany, settled in Amer-
ica during the middle of the eighteenth century
and served under Gen. Washington in the Rev-
olution. Margaret (Zeigler) Strine's parents
were of German descent, her father, Daniel
Zeigler, serving as a soldier in the defense of
Baltimore in the war of 181 2-14.



lyo



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Hon. E. Z. Strine was employed on a farm
during his youth. He was educated in the com-
mon schools and ranked high as a scholar. He
came to York in March, 1862, and was in the
mercantile business until 1872, when he started
as a law student in E. D. Zeigler's office. On
Feb. 24, 1873, he was admitted to the Bar in
York county, and since that time has been en-
gaged in successful practice. He has been
prominent in politics as a Democrat for thirty
years, and in 1886 was elected a member of the
House.

Mr. Strine has always taken great interest
in military affairs, and has the rank of cap-
tain. He left York for Gettysburg July i,
1863, to march with the 5th Corps, Union
army, and the Pennsylvania Reserve Corps,
from Hanover to Gettysburg during the night
of the 1st of July, arriving on the Gettysburg-
field on the morning of July 2d. He was pres-
ent with the troops and saw the second day's
battle. On July 3d, he was taken prisoner by
the Federal forces as a Confederate spy, but
after the military authorities heard the evidence
offered and had proof of identification he was
released. On July 12, 1866, he was commis-
sioned second: lieutenant of the Zeigler Guards
of York; May 12, 1868, first lieutenant of the
Worth Infantry of York, and July 12, 1869,
was made its captain ; he became captain of
York Continental Rifles, late Company C, 8th
вЦ†Regiment, N. G. P., on the loth day of Octo-
ber, 1870, he organized the York Grays July
4, 1875, and was commissioned captain of
York Grays, Company A, 8th Regiment, N.
G. P. He was recommissioned a number of
times, and served until July 12, 1893, when he
resigned, his name being placed on the roll of
honor by order of Gov. Robert E. Pattison. He
was present with his company and assisted in
suppressing the Homestead riot.

Mr. Strine was married in 1865 to Adaline
Elizabeth Dehoff, a daughter of Amos M. and
Emaline (Stambaugh) Dehoff. Mrs. Strine
w-as born in West Manchester township Jan.
4, 1846. Her great-grandfather was George
Philip Dehoff, who was a Frenchman and set-
tled in America during the eighteenth centurv.
He served in the Revolutionary war under Gen.
Washington, participating in a number of bat-
tles, among them those of the Brandywine and
Trenton, and also was at Valley Forge during
the winter of 1777-78. Mr. and Mrs. Strine



have two children, Emma A. and Ulysses S.
Grant. The parents are members of Trinity
Reformed Church of York.

Ulysses S. G. Strine, who married Amanda
Waring, daughter of George W. and Maria
(Grim) Waring, was previously a student at
York County Academy and was graduated
from the York Collegiate Institute with the
class of 1887. He was first sergeant of Com-
pany A, 8th Regiment, N. G. P., from May,
1884, to 1894, and was present with his com-
pany at the Homestead Riot of 1902. He is
now engaged in mercantile business. The fath-
er of Mrs. Strine was born in Franklinville,
Cattaraugus Co., N. Y., and her mother in Dal-
lastown, York Co., Pa. Two children have
been born to Mr. and Mrs. U. S. G. Strine,
Janet Waring and Frances Lois.

JOHN S. TRONE, former county re-
corder of York county, and at the present time
serving Heidelberg township as justice of the
peace, comes from one of the pioneer families
of the county. He was born in Heidelberg
township, in 1856, son of John B. Trone,
grandson of George, great-grandson of Abra-
ham, and great-great-grandson of John
Trone, who came from Germany and settled
in Heidelberg township.

In Heidelberg township John Trone re-
ceived a grant of 250 acres of land, from
Thomas Penn, March 31, 1762, recorded at
Philadelphia, Pat. A. A., Vol. 3, page 155,
with full claim and title, as follows : "Thomas
Penn to George Trone; George Trone's heirs
to John Trone; John Trone to Abraham
Trone; Abraham Trone to George Trone;
Sarah Trone's Heirs to George Trone; George
Trone to Samuel and John B. Trone; Samuel
and John B. Trone and wife to Adam Smith;
Adam Smith to Reuben Sheffer ; Reuben Shef-
fer to John B. Trone. Second part of tract :
Daniel Forry to Andrew E. Rudisill ; Andrew
E. Rudisill to John B. Trone ; Anna B. and
John S. Trone, executors, to Alexander
Beeker; Alexander Beeker to John S. Trone,
March 31, 1892." The land is situated in
Manheim township, now the central part of
Heidelberg township, near Smith's Station,
along the Western Maryland Railroad.

Abraham Trone, son of John, carried on
agricultural pursuits on this farm, and also
served in the Re\-olutionarv war. He was



BIOGRAPHICAL



171



twice married and had a family of seven chil-
dren.

George Trone, son of Abraham, was the
grandfather of our subject. He followed
farming, and was a Mennonite minister. He
married, and both he and his wife died on the
old home. Their children were: Abraham,
Samuel, Joseph, John B., George, Mary, Re-
becca, Elizabeth, Kate and Sarah.

John B. Trone was born Aug. 27, 1827,
on the old homestead. He received a com-
mon school education, and at the age of eight-
een years began the blacksmithing business,
which he followed at Trone's Stand, Smith's
Station, for twenty-two years. He married
first Eliza Shutt, daughter of Joseph Shutt, by
whom he had five children, Valentine, Frank-
lin, John S., Lizzie and Mary. Mr. Trone
married (second) May 20, 1866, Annie Rohr-
baugh, daughter of George and Sarah Rohr-
baugh, and to this union six children were
born : Charles, Joseph, George, one that died
in infancy, Sarah and Alia Mary. The. greater
part of Mr. Trone's life was spent in farming
on his tract in Heidelberg township, where he
died aged fifty-eight years. He was a member
of the German Reformed Church, in which he
took an active. part. Politically he was a Dem-
ocrat, and held a number of township offices.
John S. Trone attended the township
schools, the graded school at Hanover and the
academy at Glen Rock, and at the age of seven-
teen years began teaching, in which he con-
tinued for nine years. He then engaged in
the mercantile business, at Sm'ith's Station,
where he remained eight years. In 1884 he
was elected justice of the peace and has held
that office to the present time. In 1890 he
was elected recorder of York county on the
Democratic ticket, his majority being 4403,
one of the largest ever received in the county.
He filled that office to the satisfaction of all
for three years, and was then appointed deputy
recorder and deputy registrar of York coun-
ey, serving for three years and eight months.
He is one of York county's best known men,
and is very popular with all. He is now en-
gaged in the machine and fertilizer business
at Smith's Station, and owns the old home of
sixty-three acres of land, which is one of the
oldest farms in the county. Politically Mr.
Trone is a Democrat. He is a member of the
German Reformed Church, and takes a great



interest therein. He is connected as director
with the Hartley Fire Insurance Company,
which company's main office is in York.

Mr. Trone married Lena Hamm. daugh-
ter of Jacob L. and Susan Hamm, and to this
union these children have been born : Minerva ;
Curtis H.; Amy, the wife of Charles Trone,
of Hanover, Pa.; Daisy, wife of Curtis
Strawsbaugh, residing in York; Stanley and
Ray.

ADAM E. KOHR, of Hanover, former
worthy justice of the peace, and present mem-
ber of the Legislature, was born in Man-
chester township Feb. 20, 1865, son of Lewis
and Lena (Witrecht) Kohr, and paternal
grandson of L. and Rebecca (Westheffer)
Kohr, and maternal grandson of John and
Christina (Weigle) Witrecht.

The Kohrs are among the oldest and best
known families of the county, the original an-
cestor having migrated from Switzerland. The
paternal grandfather of Adam E., was a na-
tive of Manchester township, and one of its
most prosperous farmers. His son Lewis, the
father of Adam E., was born in York county
Oct. 16, 1840. He was a farmer by occupa-
tion but became a minister of the United
Brethren Church, devoting to his religious
calling over thirty years. He is still living
and still engaged in the consecrated work of
the ministry. His wife Lena was also a na-
tive of York county, where she was born Jan.
I, 1844.

Adam E. Kohr received his education in
the district schools, where he prepared him-
self for admission to Lebanon Valley College
at Annville, Pa. Entering this institution he
pursued his studies for some time, after which, .
in the autumn of 1882, he began a career as a
school teacher, which he continued for nine
years in various countrv and village schools
of York county. Mr. Kohr moved to Han-
o\'er in 1894 and has since continued one of
the public-spirited and enterprising profes-
sional men of the city. In 1896 he was chos-
en city engineer, which position he has since
held. He was elected in i8q8 a justice of the
peace on the Democratic ticket for a term of
five ye^rs, and re-elected in 1903, resigning
the office in 1906, after having been
elected to the State Legislature. He has been
actively affiliated with the Democratic party



172



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



since he became a voter, and has always taken
a deep interest in local and county politics.
He is a prominent member of the P. O. S. of
A., and of the Modern Woodmen of America.
In 1886 Mr. Kohr married Laura I.
Smith, daughter of Michael and Maria Smith,
both her parents being now deceased. To Mr.
and Mrs. Kohr have been born five children,
namely : Olive Joyce, E. Lane, Miriam
Sapporah, John and Mary.

FRANKLIN P. DIETZ, one of the rep-
resentative citizens of York county, which has
been his home from the time of his birth, and
with whose industrial and civic afifairs he has
for many years been prominently identified, has
long operated a well-equipped flouring-mill in
York township, and though at the present time
he is practically retired from active labor he is
giving his supervision to his various industrial
and capitalistic interests, including which may
be mentioned the York Water Company and
the York National Bank of York, Pennsyl-
vania.

Mr. Dietz was born in Hellam township,
this county, Jan. 18, 1847, a"c^ is a scion of one
of the honored pioneer families of this section
of the old Keystone State. His grandfather,
Jacob Dietz, who was of stanch German lin-
eage, settled near the present village of Stony-
brook, in Spring Garden township, this county,
where he took up a large tract of wild land, a
portion of which he placed under cultivation
in course of time. He also operated a distil-
lery for a number of years, thus following a
line of industry which was one of prominence
here in the pioneer era. He continued to re-
side here until his death, and his remains lie
at rest in the family cemetery in Hellam town-
ship. Of his children, George died at the home-
stead ; Joseph died in Windsor township ; Sam-
uel and Jacob died in Spring Garden township ;
John was the father of Franklin P. ; Sarah be-
came the wife of Harry Neiman, and died in
^Manchester township ; ]\Irs. Michael Blessing
died in Manchester, this county ; Magdalena,
wife of Frederick Schatzberger, died in East
York ; Polly, wife of Jacob Lehman, died in
Hellam township, as did also Catherine, who
Avas unmarried.

John Dietz, father of Franklin P., was torn
in Spring Garden township. He availed him-
self of the advantages of the common schools



of the locality and period, and assisted in the
work of reclaiming and cultivating the home-
stead farm, and also in the operation of the
distillery. He finally became the owner of a
valuable farm in Hellam township, where he
continued to be actively identified with agri-
cultural pursuits for about two score years. He
finally purchased a residence and distilling
property in Wrightsville, where he maintained
his home for about three years, after which he
returned to the farm, and there remained for
the ensuing fifteen years. Then he returned to
Wrightsville, where he passed the closing years
of his life, attaining the age of sixty-five years,
and his remains were interred in the family
cemetery in Hellam township. John Dietz
married Miss Susan Luttman, who was born
and reared in this county, and she died, in Hel-
lam township, at the age of sixty-eight years,
being laid to rest beside her husband. Of their
two children, Franklin P. is the younger; his
sister, Rachel, who was the wife of David \\\
Graybill, a farmer of Hellam township, died
there in 1894.

The mill owned by Franklin P. Dietz is
located in the southern section of York town-
ship, and has been in operation for the greater
portion of the time since 1832, when the pres-
ent substantial building of stone and brick was
erected. It is still in an excellent state of pres-
ervation, while it is conspicuous as one of the
landmarks of the county. During his residence
there Mr. Dietz built a commodious modern
home, now occupied by one of his sons, who
has charge of the mill and the surrounding
farm, which comprises eighty-four acres of fine
land, under a high state of cultivation. Air.
Dietz has maintained his home at Dietz's since
1875, owning there a most attractive mod-
ern residence. In politics he has ever accorded
a stanch allegiance to the Democratic party,
and has been prominent in local affairs. At the
time of this writing he is incumbent of the
office of auditor of York township. He and his
wife are valued members of the Reformed
Church at Jacobus, in which he has served as
deacon, and he was a member of the building
committee which had in charge the erection
of the present church edifice. He is a stock-
holder in the York National Bank, and has
been a member of its directorate since Febru-
arv, 1903, and he is a stockholder in the York
\\'ater Company.




/7.




BIOGRAPHICAL



173



In December, 1870, Mr. Dietz was united
in marriage to Miss Clayanna Jane Dosch, of
Windsor township. They have had children as
follows : Mary M., wife of Henry C. Leader, a
painter at Paradise, this county; John C, who
married Leah Sheaffer, of Glen Rock, and is
associated with his father in the milling busi-
ness; Harry S., who married Jennie Falken-
stine, and is engaged in farming and general
teaming in York township for his father ; Dora
Susan, who died at the age of thirteen years,
and is buried in the beautiful Prospect Hill
cemetery in York, as are also Edward, who
died when one year old, and Charles, who died
at the age of eight months; and Morris A.,
Ameda F. and Allen F., who are the younger
children and still brighten the home circle.

HARRY I. GLADFELTER, postmaster
at Hanover Junction, York Co., Pa., is en-
gaged in the cigar manufacturing business.
Mr. Gladfelter was born in North Codorus
township Oct. 18, 1850, son of Benjamin
Gladfelter.

Daniel Gladfelter, the grandfather of our
subject, married a Miss Emig, and both died
in York county.

Benjamin Gladfelter, son of Daniel, was
born in 1812, in North Codorus township,
where he received a common school education.
He married Sarah Gibbons, and they located
in North Codorus township, near Seven Val-
ley, where he followed farming on his small
farm, and died at the age of seventy-two years,
his wife passing away at the age of seventy-
one. Both are buried at the Ziegler Church
in their native township. Their children were :
Cornelius, deceased ; Jesse, deceased ; Nathan,
a cigar manufacturer of Seven Valley; Dallas,
deceased ; Dr. Jacob Allen, deceased ; Aman-
da, the wife of Samuel Gayman, of Sunbury,
Pa. ; Lucy A., wife of H. C. Kuntz. a large
cigar manufacturer of Seven Valley; and
Harry I.

Harry I. Gladfelter spent his school days at
Ziegler's school, and after finishing his edu-
cation taught school for two terms. He then
became weighmaster at Seven Valley for the
Thomas Iron Company, later coming to Han-
over Junction as clerk for the railroad agent
of the Northern Central railroad. He served
3s freight and passenger agent at Hanover
Junction for the Hanover Junction, Hanover



& Gettysburg Railroad Company fifteen years,
also acted as postmaster, and had charge of
the Western Onion Telegraph from 1872 to
L904, when the Western Lnion wires were
removed. He was also employed as superin-
tendent by the Codorus Ore Company a few
years, and in 1884 began the manufacture of
cigars, in which he has since continued. He
employs about thirty skilled workmen, selling
most of his cigars in New York City and the
West. He manufactures cigars from $14 to
$60 per thousand, his special brand, which is
ni great demand, and is always as represented,
being the "Belle of York." He has a two-
story building which is conveniently located
near the Northern Central railroad station.

Mr. Gladfelter married Miss Mary Estelle
Wheeler, daughter of Darius Wheeler, of
Baltimore, Md, Mr. Gladfelter is a Democrat
politically, and served as township auditor
SIX years. He is a member of the Seven Val-
ley Lutheran Church, where he has served of-
ficially as leader of the choir.

REV. CHRISTIAN NESS, known
throughout York county for the great and good
work he has accomplished as a minister of the
Gospel, comes from one of the early and hon-
ored families of the county.

John Jacob Nes, as the name was then
spelled, the great-grandfather of our subject,
came from Germany and settled in Shrewsbury
township, York Co., Pa., following farming as
an occupation.

Michael Nes, son of John Jacob, was also
a farmer, following that vocation in Spring-
field township. He married (first) a Miss
Swartz, and after her death, a ]\Iiss Frey. He
was a large land owner, and died at the'age of
eighty-six years in York township, being buried
at Blimyer's church. Michael Nes was a
Lutheran, and was very active in church work.
His children were: Michael. Jacob, John,
Henry, George, Samuel, Emanuel, Pollv and
Elizabeth.

Of the above family, George Ness was the
father of our subject. He was born in 1802
in Springfield township, and received a com-
mon school education. On reaching maturitv
he^ took the old homestead in Springfield town-
ship. George Ness married ]Marv iNIvers, and
after her death he married (second) Elizabetli
Bankert. Mr. Ness was a faithful member of



174



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



the Dunkard Church, and died in that faith at
the age of seventy-six years, being buried in
the home burying ground on the farm. The
children born to him and his first wife were*:
Rev. Christian, SaUie and Mary. To his second
wife were born : George, in Springfield town-
ship, married Sarah Feigley; Leah is the wife
of Reuben Sprenkle of York township; and
Elizabeth is the wife of Mr. Meyers.

Christian Ness was born Oct. 8, 1830, and
received his preliminary education in the pub-
lic schools of his native township, assisting his
father at farming. In 1854 he married Cath-
erine Stiles, daughter of Jacob Stiles, and she
died in 1890, and was buried at the Dunkard
Church, of -which she was a faithful member.
The children born to this union were as fol-
lows : Jacob, of Harrisburg ; George, of York
township; Albert, of Springfield township;
Thomas, also of Springfield township ; Edward,
of York; Mary, wife of Albert Reigart; Sarah,
the wife of Levi Krout, of Springfield town-
ship; Leah, the wife of S. B. Myers, a fanner
of Springfield township, who was ordained a
minister in the Dunkard Church, May 26,
1896 ; and Catherine, the wife of Milton Myers,
of Hopewell township. After the death of his
first wife Mr. Ness married Catherine Myers,
widow of Joseph Myers, who was a farmer of
Springfield township, and died in 1864, aged
forty-five years in the faith of the Dunkard
Church, leaving these children : Salome, wife
of Samuel K. Hartman, of Springfield town-
ship; Leah, wife of F. M. Baugher, living in
Jefferson borough ; Mary, wife of Milton Leh-
man, of Springfield township; Samuel B., who
married Leah Ness ; and Andrew, who died at
the age of four years.

Samuel Bowser, father of Mrs. Catherine
Ness, Avas a farmer of Shrewsbury township,
and her mother was Mary Hershey. Mr. Bow-
ser died at the age of eighty-two years, leav-
ing children : Mrs. Ness, the wife of our sub-
ject; Elizabeth; Margaret; Samuel; Lydia and
Christian ; Mary, the wife of Charles B. King,
of New Freedom, York county; Benjamin H.,
living on the old homestead in Shrewsbury
township, and Julia, the wife of Lewis Kraber,
of .York.

Mr. and Mrs. Ness reside on her farm of
240 acres, Mr. Ness owning another farm of
160 acres near Loganville. They have had no
children. Rev. Mr. Ness united with the church



in 1858, and was ordained a minister June 4,
1866, at the home of Samuel Bowser, in
Shrewsbury township, since which time he has
been an active worker, preaching all over the
county. Snice 1892 he has lived retired from
active life. He is the oldest minister in the
Church, and is loved and honored by all who
know him.

SIMON A. BARSHINGER, the owner
and operator of the Kohler flouring mill in
North Hopewell township, one of the oldest
mills in the county, is a representative of one
of the pioneer families of this section of the
old Keystone state, and has here passed his
entire life thus far, while he has gained through
worthy and well-directed effort a position of
prominence as a business man and a success
.which is of no indefinite order. In the early
epoch when York county was yet to a large
extent a wilderness, the Barshinger family
came thither, and in each generation have been
found men of sturdy integrity and sterling cit-
izenship. The lineage traces back to German
origin, and the original American progenitors
came from the Fatherland in the Colonial era
of our national history. Simon A. Barshinger,
was born on his father's farm, in Windsor
township, this county, Aug. 7, 1863, son of
Emanuel and Catherine (Anstine) Barshinger.

John Barshinger, grandfather of Simon A.,
married Susan Stabley, and they became the
parents of nine children : George, Jacob, An-
drew, John, Benj amin, Henry, Susan and Cath-
erine (wife of John Streavig), all deceased;
and Emanuel.

Emanuel Barshinger was born and reared
in York county. He married Catherine Anstine,
daughter of Simon B. and Mary Ann Anstine,
sterling pioneers of this county, whose other
children were : Amos ; Daniel ; Susan, wife of
Philip Laucks, of Windsor township ; and Ma-
ria, wife of Jacob Landis, of Windsor town-
ship. Of the children of Emanuel and Cath-
erine Barshinger, all except Simon A. are
deceased, the others being: Franklin Porter,
Adam Emanuel and Mary Catherine. The
parents make their home in Red Lion, and both
are active in the Reformed Church. Mr. Bar-
shinger is a Democrat.

Simon A. Barshinger passed his boyhood
days on the home farm, early beginning- to as-
sist in its work, while his educational advant-



BIOGRAPHICAL



175



ages were those afforded by the pubhc schools
of his nati\-e township. He attended the Koons
school during a portion of each year until he
had attained the age of sixteen years. In his



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 33 of 201)