Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 34 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 34 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


3'outh he was employed for a time in the An-
stine mill, in Windsor township, and later be-
came again associated with his father in the
work and management of the home farm, re-
maining" thus engaged until 1885, when he
embarked in the same line of enterprise upon
his own responsibility, becoming the owner
of a fine farm property in North Hopewell
township, and there continuing his residence
until 1891, when he identified himself with his
present industrial undertaking, having success-
fully operated the Kohler mill since that date.
As before stated, this is one of the oldest mills
in the county, having been erected about 1853,
by Jacob Kohler. The mill is now equipped
with the best modern machinery and accessories
having a capacity for the output of about
thirty barrels of flour per day and controlling
a large custom trade, besides a considerable
outside business. Mr. Barshinger gives his
personal supervision to the mill, and is known
as a reliable and progressive business man and
public-spirited citizen. In politics he is an un-
compromising advocate of the principles and
policies of the Democratic party, in whose ranks
he has been an active and influential worker in
a local way, having been for many years a
member of the election board of North Hope-
well township, and having served .in various
local ofBces of trust, while in the Democratic
county convention in August, 1904, he was
nominated for representative in the State Leg-
islature, but suffered defeat at the polls in the
following November. Both he and his wife
are members of the Reformed church, and fra-
ternally he is affiliated with Dallas Lodge, No
1017, I. O. O. F., in Dallastown.

On Sept. 22, 1885, Mr. Barshinger was
united in marriage to Miss Ellen Grove, daugh-
ter of Charles and Leah (Seachrist)' Grove,
well known and honored residents of Wind-
sor township, and of this union have been born
three children: Clarence Franklin, Charles
Emanuel and Edith May, all at home.

GIBSON SMITH (deceased), son of
Abraham and Salome (Smith) Smith, in 1852
married Susan E. Fahs. For the first four
years after his marriage he engaged in the



management of a rented flour-mill, after which
he bought from William Wilt a coal-yard lo-
cated on North Water street, York, giving his
entire attention to this business until his death,
in 1888. He was buried at Prospect Hill.
Two sons were born to Mr. and Mrs. Smith,
namely: Edgar Fahs, born in Manchester
township, May 23, 1853, '^^'lio married Miss
Margaret A. Gruel, and resides in Philadel-
phia ; and Allen John, born in York, on Dec.
8, 1863, who married Pearl Pierce and lives
in Philadelphia.

Mrs. Smith was born in West Manchester
township June 10, 1829, daughter of John and
Susan (Ilgenfritz) Fahs. Mrs. Smith's pa-
ternal grandparents were John and Eva
(Feiser) Fahs, the former a native of Dauphin
county, Pa., and in later life a blacksmith of
York. He followed that trade for about fifty
years, and then lived retired until his death,
in 1835, when he was laid to rest in Prospect
Hill cemetery.

John Fahs (2), born in York in 1792,
attended the public schools until he was four-
teen years of age, and then worked in his
father's smithy until he was twenty. In 1822
he married Miss Susan Ilgenfritz, daughter of
Samuel and Mary (Crone) Ilgenfritz, of York
county, and began farming in West Man-
chester township. After his father's death he
inherited a farm which he conducted for fifteen
years, and then, retiring in 1850, removed to
York, and spent the balance of his life there.
He passed away Sept. 6, 1880, and was interred
at Prospect Hill. Mrs. Smith received a com-
mon school education, and in 1852, when
twenty-three years of age, was united in mar-
riage to Gibson Smith.

JOHN F. PATTON, proprietor of the
City Drug Store, so well known to the citizens
of York, Pa., was born in Lower Windsor
township, York county, on Dec. 15, 1839, son
of Ebenezer and Rebecca (Smith) Patton.
Mr. Patton's grandfather, John Patton, was
born in County Antrim. North of Ireland,
while his grandmotlxer, who had been ]\Iargaret
]\IcGowan, was born in County Tyrone. In
1780, soon after their marriage, this worthy
couple emigrated to America and located in
Chester county. Pa. Thev had fifteen chil-
dren — twelve boys and three girls. Both
grandparents died at the age of eighty years
or upward.



176



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Ebenezer Patton \vas the eighth son of this
couple and early in life learned the shoemaker's
trade. He moved to Chanceford township. In
1820 he was married to Rebecca Smith, of Lan-
caster county. The other brothers and sisters
located in Chester, Lancaster and Berks coun-
ties, and the family became very numerous.
Ebenezer Patton died at the age of forty-nine
years, and the mother with her eight children
moved to Wrightsville, York county, where
she died in the year 1852.

John F. Patton, the fourth son of the fam-
ilv, received his educatiqn in the common
schools. In 1853 he located at York and en-
gaged as a clerk in a dry-goods store. In the
spring of 1856 he entered the drug store of
Dr. Jacob Hay, Sr., to learn the business for
which he has since proved himself so admir-
ably fitted. He entered the wholesale drug
establishment of Thomsen & Block, of Balti-
more, in 1859. remaining there until 1866.
During the latter year he went to St. Louis,
but on account of sickness remained there but
a few months. In the year 1869 he began the
drug business for himself in a small room on
the north side of West Market street, York,
on the site of his present handsome and com-
modious establishment.

In 1873 ^^- Patton moved his store to the
large business room of Martin Bender, nearly
opposite the "Motter House." There he pros-
pered greatly, enjoying a constantly growing
trade. The familiar name of "City Drug
Store" was found in the newspapers of the
county, and on all of the conspicuous adver-
tising places that could be utilized. His in-
dustry, progressive business methods and close
application were rewarded with unusual pros-
perity, but the disastrous flood of June, 1884,
played sad havoc with his stores, which were
almost totally wrecked, and Mr. Patton barely
escaped with his life. He had already begun the
erection of the new City Drug Store, a three-
story brick building, with a large and elegant
store room, which he stocked and fitted up on
a more extensive scale than ever, in September,
1884. In this place he continued to meet with
a well deserved patronage^ enjoying a wide
and lucrative trade.

Mr. Patton is a member of St. Paul's
Lutheran Church of York. He was president
of the Pennsylvania State Pharmaceutical As-
sociation in 1891, was made president of the



American Pharmaceutical Association in 1900,
and presided over the national meeting at St.
Louis in 1901. In addition to these honors,
Mr. Patton was a member of the council of
the National Association, having served on the
administrative committee for a period of three
years, beginning in 1902, this committee con-
sisting of fifteen members, elective from the
entire body of druggists of the United States.

SAMUEL M. MANIFOLD, who enjoys
the distinction of being the first sheriff of York
county ever elected by the Republican party,
is of Scotch-Irish descent, his ancestors having
settled in York county about 1730.

Henry Manifold, his paternal grandfather,
was a son of Joseph Manifold, who was a pri-
vate in Capt. John Moffit's Company in the
Revolutionary war — a company that also in-
cluded among its members David McKinley,
great-grandfather of President William Mc-
Kinley. Henry Manifold was an elder in the
Hopewell Presbyterian Church.

Joseph Manifold, son of Henry and father
of Samuel M., was a farmer in Lower Chance-
ford township, and he died in 1889, aged sev-
enty-four years. He married Rebecca P. ]\Iar-
tin, daughter of Rev. Samuel Martin, D. D., a
distinguished Presbyterian divine, who had
preached at Slate Ridge and Chanceford
churches for a period of forty-two years, and
who died in York county. Six children were
born to Joseph Manifold and his wife, as fol-
lows: Rosanna E., who married Zenas H.
Dougherty, of Lower Chanceford: William F.,
a farmer of Lower Chanceford : Margaret J. :
Keziah, who married C. C. Smith ; Henry, and
Samuel M.

Samuel M. Manifold was born in Hopewell
township. May 8. 1842, and was educated in
the schools of that district. His first occupa-
tion was farming, which he followed, off and
on, until he was thirty years old. During the
war of the Rebellion he enlisted in the 21st
Pennsylvania Cavalry, being promoted from
time to time, and when mustered out of service
was a second lieutenant. He spent the first
year of his enlistment in the Shenandoah Val-
ley, where the cavalry regiment, of which he
was a member was dismounted and brigaded
with the infantry, taking part in the battles of
Spottsylvania, Cold Harbor, Petersburg and
others. In 1864 his regiment was remounted




<^^//l^CC.



' r




BIOGRAPHICAL



177



and attached to Gregg's Cavalry Division,
Army of the Potomac, with which he served,
until the end of the war. After the close of
hostilities he served in the pi"ovost marshal's
office at Lynchburg, Va., and Campbell Court
House, Avhere the oath of amnesty was admin-
istered to Gen. Longstreet and many other
prominent Confederates. Mr. Manifold's war
record is one of which any man might well be
proud, and it is a notable fact that he was never
sick or absent from duty a single day of his
term of enlistment.

When peace had again settled over the land
Lieut. Manifold returned to farming, continu-
ing at that until 1872, when he went to rail-
roading, and was attached to the engineer
corps who were surveying the Peach Bottom
railroad. In 1874 he became chief engineer in
charge of construction, and built the last twen-
ty miles of that road. In 1878 he became the
superintendent of the York & Peach Bottom
railroad. His next position was that of road-
master of the Baltimore & Lehigh railroad, in
which capacity he continued for several years,
or until 1891. In the latter year he surveyed
the extension of the Stewartstown railroad into
Delta, York county, after which he accepted
a position in the transportation department of
the Pennsylvania Railroad Company at Wash-
ington, D. C. His next position was that of
master of transportation of the Baltimore &
Lehigh railroad, from which he was promoted
to the office of general manager, and later be-
came superintendent of the Baltimore & Har-
risburg division of the Western Maryland rail-
road, being promoted to general superintend-
ent. On Jan. i, 1904, Mr. Manifold was called
to the position of general manager of the York
Street Railway Company, being in charge of
the constructing and superintending from
three hundred to four hundred men. He was
also manager of the Edison Electric Light
Company of York. At present, besides acting
as sheriff, he is chief engineer of the New Park
and Fawn Grove Reservoir.

Mr. Manifold was married Jan. i, 1875,
to Sarah E. Gregg, daughter of George and
Sophia Gregg, farming people of York county,
and eight children have been born to this union,
as follows : Granger R. died at the age of
two years ; Rebecca P. died at the age of four
years ; J. Howard is an attorney-at-law, whose
sketch will be found following; Rose Elma, a



graduate of Wilson College, married John S.
McCoy, secretary of the York Card & Paper
Company; Myra Ross, who is a graduate of
the Women's College, Baltimore, class of 1905^
is teaching in Porto Rico ; Emily Martin is a
graduate of the York high school, class of
1905; Keziah W. is at the Women's College,
class of 1909 ; Margaret Brinton is a student
in the York Collegiate Institute, class of 1909.
Sheriff Manifold belongs to the Ancient
Order of United Workmen, the Heptasophs,
and York Post, No. n, G. A. R. He is a '
member of and a deacon in the First Presby-
terian Church. He has always been an active
worker in the ranks of the Republican party,
and was twice elected to the city council of
York, having- been returned from the Fifth and
Sixth wards. His triumphant election to the
office of sheriff on the Republican ticket during
the memorable campaign of 1904 gave abund-
ant evidence of Mr. Manifold's popularity
throughout York county.

JOSEPH HOWARD MANIFOLD is a
son of S. M. Manifold, general manager of the
York Traction Company, and sheriff of the
county, and is a native of the city of York,
born April 26, 1875. There his boyhood days
were passed, and his early educational train-
ing was secured in the excellent public schools
of the city, and he then entered the York Col-
legiate Institute, from which he was graduated
as a member of the class of 1892. In the au-
tumn of 1894 he matriculated in the law depart-
ment at Yale, where he completed the pre-
scribed course, and was graduated in 1896,
with the degree of Bachelor of Laws, while in
the following year the degree of Master of
Laws was conferred upon him by his alma
mater. In the same year he was admitted to
the Bar of the State of Connecticut, and in
December, 1898, he was admitted to practice
in the courts of his native county, where he
gained his first practical experience. He is
meeting with excellent success both as an at-
torney and counselor, and enjoys marked pop-
ularity in the professional, business and social
circles of his native city. He is one of the rep-
resentative younger members of the Bar of
York county, is a gentleman of high scholar-
ship and technical learning, and has won no
uncertain prestige in his chosen vocation,
though but a few years have elapsed since he



17^



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENXSYLVANL\



o-ained admission to the Bar. In politics he ac-
cords an unswerving aUegiance to the Republi-
can party, taking much interest in its cause, be-
ing one of the active young working members
in the local ranks of the party. He is a mem-
ber of the Presbyterian Church. Socially he
belongs to the Bachelors Club of York.

JOSEPH HARRISON WALLAZZ, a
native of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, born
..March i, 1874, graduated from Girard College
in 1892. He is now representing R. G. Dun
& Company, in York and Adams counties, of
which he has had charge since 1898. Mr. Wal-
lazz is careful and painstaking, and his reports
can always be relied upon. His wife was Mary
Edith Dodson, daughter of William M. Dod-
-son.

HENRY B. KING, M. D., is a member of
one of the old and distinguished families of this
section of the Keystone State, with whose an-
nals the name which he bears has been indis-
solubly linked ever since the early pioneer era.
He was born in the city of York in i860, son
of E. A. and Arabella F. (Nes) King, both of
whom were likewise natives of York county,
where their entire lives were passed. The for-
mer passed to his eternal rest in 1877, and the
latter in 1882. E. A. King was an influential
and successful business man, having been a
skihed sculptor and marble cutter and having
for a number of years been engaged in business
along this line in York, while he was also iden-
tified with the phosphate trade and with the
milling industry and general farming. Being
a man of alert mentality, inflexible integrity of
character and marked ability, he attained to a
high degree of success in temporal affairs and
commanded the most unqualified confidence and
esteem in the community which was his home
for the major portion of his earnest and useful
life. He was a stanch Republican in his polit-
ical proclivities.

Dr. Henry Nes, the Doctor's maternal
grandfather, was one of the most honored and
able of the pioneer physicians and surgeons of
York county, where he continued to reside until
his death. No man in the county was held in
higher regard, and this fact was emphasized
by his having been chosen to represent his dis-
trict in Congress, of which he was a member for
several terms.



Henry B. King completed the curriculum of
.the public schools of York and continued his
studies in the York County Academy. He
early determined to prepare himself for the
noble profession in which he has met with such
signal success and gained such noteworthy pres-
tige. He began reading medicine under the pre-
ceptorship of Dr. Benjamin F. Spangler, one
of York's leading practitioners, and matricu-
lated at famous old Jefferson Aledical College,
in Philadelphia, where he was graduated
in the class of 1883, receiving his well earned
degree of Doctor of ^Medicine. In addition to
his three years' course in Jefferson ]vledical Col-
lege he also took a post-graduate course in the
institution. His ample fortification for the ac-
tive work of his profession has been best shown
in his record as a practitioner. He is a close
student, and has recourse to the best standard
and periodical literature pertaining to the med-
ical and surgical sciences, while his devotion to
the work of his profession has been constant.
He has been successfully established in York
since he began practice, and he is one of the
valued members of the York County Medical
Society and the Pennsylvania State ^Medical
Society.

WILLIA]\I GA:MBLE, who passed his
closing years in York, left a name which will
not soon be forgotten in China and Japan, in
which countries he contributed so largely to the
diffusion of western ideas. By "his two main
inventions — the making of matrices of Chinese
type by the electrotype process, and the Chinese
type case, as now generally in use, * * *
he did a work that has hardly been equalled in
the annals of missions or in the history of the
development of the art of printing." *

Mr. Gamble inherited the strength, persever-
ance, ingenuity and practical business instincts
of a race of Scotch-Irish ancestors. Through
both parents he was descended from families
which numbered many men of ability. His
grandfather, the Rev. ^^'illiam Gamble, of
Greenhill, Letterkenny, County Donegal, was
one of the first covenanting ministers in the
North of Ireland. He is described by the late
J. B. Marcus, of Ballymoney. in his Synopsis
of Church History, as "A dignified Christian
gentleman, and eminent theologian." The Rev.



*"Rex Christus, an Outline Study of China," by
Arthur Smith.



BIOGRAPHICAL



179



Samuel Ferguson, in a recent sketch of his life,
says the following: "The family from which
William Gamble sprang was one of the many
families that fled from Scotland during the
period of the persecution. Consequently they
were of far different fiber from most of those
'planted' by James I, in Ulster. Originally
their home was Saltcoats, Scotland, and as
some of their ancestors bore arms in the siege
of Derry, they must have been settled prior to
1688."^

The Rev. William Gamble, of Greenhill,
was married to a lady of noble birth by the
name of Errol. Their son, William, father of
the William of whom we write, married Anne
Dill, a daughter of John Dill, of Oak Bank,
Ramelton, and his wife Anne (Scott) Dill.
They had five children : William, whose work
was in China; John Scott, who died at sea;
Reverend Robert, of Woodbine, York county.
Pa.; Alexander, of Sydney, Australia; and
Anne Martha, late of Ramelton, County Done-
gal, Ireland, a former missionary to Japan.

On the maternal side, Mr. Gamble was a
scion of the Dill family, celebrated in Ulster for
the many eminent Presbyterian divines of that
name." Mr. Gamble was a descendant of David
Dill,^ who before the siege of Derry resided in
Fannet, near Magheradrummen Lake, where
the wallstead of his house was recently to be
seen. He married Catherine Sheridan, of a



1. "Brief Biographical Sketches of Some Irish Cove-
nanting Ministers," by the Rev. Samuel Ferguson.

Mr. Thomas Gamble, Jr., of Savannah, Ga., in a
recent book of genealogy says the following: "The
family name of Gamble had its origin in the old Dan-
ish-Saxon name of Gamel or Gamyl, of Northern Eng-
land. The Gamels held considerable land in North-
umbria, Yorkshire and Lincolnshire, in the eleventh
■century, and are found opposing the conquest of Will-
iam the Conqueror, being dispossessed by him of their
holdings."

2. The Rev. W. T. Latimer, in his "Twelve Dills,"
says the following: "Almost every member of this
family was celebrated for his reasoning powers. * * *
The Dills were logicians, metaphysicians and theolog-
ians. No doubt some of them, like the Rev. Edward
Marcus Dill, were exceedingly eloquent, but it was by
their quick perceptions and acute logical powers, more
than by their eloquence, that they excelled most of the
other ministers of the Synod of Ulster."

3- According to Mr. Latimer a John Dill was set-
tled in Fannet between Lough Swilly and Lough Foyle,
as_ early as 1665. The family, however, is of Dutch
origin. Mr. Latimer in his "Twelve Dills" gives his
reasons for believing the Dills to be descendants of one
John Van Dale, of Brabant, who received a grant of
denization in Fannet in 1605.



Roman Catholic family of Drogheda. She was
a woman of very high spirit, and is said to have
killed the last wolf seen in that part of Ireland,
by thrusting her hand wrapped in an apron
down its throat. She also rescued her hus-
band's cattle from a foraging party of King
James, during the siege of Derry. Their son
Francis married Rebecca Anderson, also a lady
of much strength of character.

Their sons, Marcus and John Dill, of
Springfield, married sisters, Mary and Susan
McClure, of a family "who lived near Convoy,
and who have been distinguished in the per-
sons of Sir Robert McClure, the Arctic ex-
plorer, and of Admiral McClure, of the United
States Navy."^ These two couples lived to-
gether in the old manor house of Springfield,
the walls of which were six feet thick and "so
grouted that it was next to impossible to pen-
etrate them."^ All of the twelve Presbyterian
divines so well known in Ireland were either
the sons or the grandsons of these two "patri-
archs of Springfield," as they were called.^ The
most distinguished of these clergymen were
three of the grandsons of John Dill of Spring-
field, and were as follows : Rev. Richard Dill,
of Dublin, who helped to found Magee Col-
lege, Londonderry; Rev. Edward Marcus Dill,
M. D., of Clonkilty, the author of able con-
troversial works against the Church of Rome;
and the Rev. Samuel Marcus Dill, D. D., pro-
fessor of Theology at Magee College.*

John Dill, of Oak Bank, the grandfather



1. "The Twelve Dills," by Rev. W. T. Latimer.

2. "Autobiography of a Country Parson," by James
Reid Dill, M. A.

3. Many of the sons and grandsons of the brothers
of Springfield entered the medical profession. Dr.
John Dill of Brighton, formerly surgeon of the East
India Company, was a son of Marcus Dill of Spring-
field. Marcus Dill had also a grandson, Richard, who
settled at Brighton as a medical practitioner, and mar-
ried Miss Wale, daughter of Gen. Wale and niece of
Archbishop Whately. Dr. Marcus Dill, of Ballykelly,
and formerly surgeon in the Royal Navy, was a son of
John Dill, of Springfield; and Dr. Francis Dill, the
first Colonial Surgeon at Hong Kong, China, was a
grandson pf John Dill, of Springfield. This is signi-
ficant in yiew^ of the fact that for a long time Mr. Gam-
ble's inclinations wavered between medicine and the
ministry. He finally took up the study of medicine, but
not until his work in China was finished.

4. Samuel Marcus Dill, while on a mission to Amer-
ica in 1859, received the degree of Doctor of Divinity
from Princeton College. The following year he was
made moderator of the General Assembly of Ireland.



iSo



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



■of William Gamble, was also a son of John Dill,
of Spring-field, and his wife, Susan McCIure.
He has been described as "one of the cleverest
of the name, full of wit and humor."^ He was
married to Anne Scott, daughter of Alexander
'Scott, of Rosreagh (later called Oak Bank),
and Anne (Park) Scott." Their daughter,
Anne Dill, became the wife of William Gamble
(secundus), and the mother of William Gam-
iDle, of York.

William Gamble, the eldest of five chil-
dren, was born in Ramelton, County Donegal,
in 1830. His mother dying when he was nine
years old, he and his brothers and sisters were
taken to the Oak Bank, the home of his grand-
parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Dill. This little
old stone house was built by Alexander Scott
from some of the stones still remaining from
the ancient castle of Ramelton, long since dis-
appeared. The Rev. James Reid Dill thus de-



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 34 of 201)