Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 36 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 36 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


abilities.

On Sept. 23, 1871, Mr. Dromgold was
married to Martha E. Shull, daughter of
William Shull, of Ickesburg, Perry Co., Pa.,
and five children were born of this union :
Delia Alice, Corinne, Thomas Edward, Bradie
Lawrence and William Shull. Corinne and
William Shull died in infancy. Mrs. Drom-
.gold died Nov. 24, 1881. On Feb. 19, 1891,
Mr. Dromgold again married, his present wife
being Ella F. Wilt, of York, and six children
have been born to this union : Florence Aileen,
Davis Elkins, Kathryn Isabelle, Stewart A.,
Justina Marie Davenport, and Margaret.

Mr. Dromgold is president of the Hench-
Dromgold - Hartman - Rice - Ickes Reunion,
which was attended by over one thousand



people, and which was originally organized
as the Hench-Dromgold Reunion. Not only
does Mr. Dromgold take an active part in the
affairs of the Hench & Dromgold works, em-
ploying 225 people and sending their goods
to all parts of the world, but he is also a mem-
ber of the firm of Hench, Dromgold & Shull,
manufacturers of lumber, having purchased,
and now owning about twenty thousand acres
of timber land at Mill Creek, W. Va., where
they have a large sawmill plant in operation,
shaving about fifteen miles of railroad for
hauling logs, bark and pulp-wood. They also
have a large wholesale and retail dry goods,
grocery and furniture store at that point, giv-
ing constant employment to from 150 to 200
men. He is also a member of the firm of
Hench, Dromgold & Co., Coffee Exchange
Building, New York City, doing a large ex-
port business.

Mr. Dromgold finds time, in addition, for
much social enjoyment as well. His favorite
recreation is in visiting his farms, of which he
owns four, and the two largest of the four are
noted for the splendid crops produced, for
Mr. Dromgold is as successful at farming as
he is .at manufacturing.

The Hench & Dromgold Company, as it
now exists, was incorporated in 1902, with a
capital of $350,000, and Mr.- Dromgold was
made vice-president and general manager. He
is a Mason of the thirty-second degree, belong-
ing to the Reading Shrine and Harrisburg
Consistory. In politics Mr. Dromgold is a
stanch Republican, and was, for four years, a
member of the select council from the Eleventh
ward. Here, as in all other matters intrusted
to him, he gave intelligent and earnest thought,
doing much for the city's good. In fact Mr.
Dromgold does all things thoroughly and
well, whether it be manufacturing, farming, or
whatever else he may undertake.



The genealogy of Bandina (Hench)
Dromgold is as follows :

(I) Johannis Hange (John Hench) emi-
grated from Germany more than two centuries
ago. Through the Palatinate, along the Rhine,
the border provinces had been repeatedly rav-
aged by cruel and merciless war. Their cities,
towns and villages were burned, their property
confiscated or destroyed, their crops and vine-
yards trodden down, and their churches and
schools ruined. Finding no rest, peace nor



1 86



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



security in their own land, many thousands of
them fled down the Rhine, finding refuge in
Holland, and other thousands in England for
a time. In England many found a sympathetic
friend in William Penn, and he invited many
of them to come to America. Queen Anne of
England also invited them, and even bore the
expenses of transportation for many of them
to come to the Colonies.

Among those Gtermans who came to
America to select their homes was Johannis
Hange (John Hench), a blacksmith by trade,
from Wurtemberg, who landed at Philadelphia
on the ship "Lydia," Sept. 20, 1743. After
a time he returned to Wurtemberg and was
married. He returned to America, landing
at Philadelphia, Sept. 2, i'749, on the ship
"Chesterfield." He settled in Vincent town-
ship, Chester Co., Pa., removed to Pikeland
township in 1753, and purchased land. His
name appears on the list of Chester county
taxables from 1756 to 1778.

To John Hench and his wife were born
eight children, five sons and three daughters.
The sons were Peter, Henry, John, Jacob and
George ; the daughters, Maria Elizabeth,
Christina and Betsy or Elizabeth. Two o-f the
sons, Peter ( a fifer and drummer) and Henry,
enlisted on a war vessel, in the war of the
Revolution, in 1774. They were afterward
captured and died of neglect and starvation
on a prison ship at New York, and were buried
under a mound in Trinity churchyard. New
York. Their names are found ■ in the Penn-
sylvania Archives.

The third son, John, enlisted in 1777 and
was made second lieutenant, 4th Battalion,
Pennsylvania Continental Line, under Major
Peter Hartman, a kinsman. Not only in the
field but at home they rendered valuable serv-
ices to the cause of freedom, by furnishing cat-
tle to the army and rendering services and care
and food to the sick and wounded soldiers in
the hospital at Yellow Springs, which was not
far from their home. After the battle of
Brandywine a portion of Gen. Wayne's di-
vision retreated across the valley hill and en-
camped in the evening in the meadows on John
Hench's farm. Mr. Hench, told the soldiers
they were welcome to take whatever they
wanted. As soon as they pitched their tents
and lighted their camp fires from the fences,
forty head of fat cattle were driven into the
yard, and the slaughtering continued until all



their wants were supplied. Many of the sol-
diers were shoeless, and used the skins from
the bullocks, strapping them in the form to
use them as shoes, to protect their feet, which
were sore and bleeding.

John Hench's will was dated June 28, 1801.
Before his death he removed to Mifflin county,
now Juniata county, in Milford township,
with his sons and daughter, Mrs. Zachary Rice.
He was buried at Academia, Pennsylvania.

(II) John Hench married Margaret Rice,
daughter of Zach. Rice. Children of (II) John
Hench : Sons — Peter, Jacob, John, Samuel
and Conrad, who was killed when young;
daughters — Elizabeth married John Bryner;
Jane Christina married Joseph Bryner;
Susanna married Daniel Motzer; Sallie mar-
ried Jacob Strauch ; Rebecca married John
Ritter; Judith married Jacob Evinger; Catha-
rine married George Rausch; Pauline re-
mained unmarried.

Children of Jacob Hench (i) (son of emi-
grant John Hench) and his wife, Susanna
Rice : Sons — John, Zachariah, Major Peter ;
daughters — Abigail, Mary and Nancy.

Ch'ildren of George Hench ( i ) , son of
emigrant John Hench : Son — John ; daughter
— Maria.

Children of Peter Hench (2), brother of
grandfather Samuel Hench : Sons — Parkin-
son H. and Samuel H. ; daug'hters — Jane and
Margaret.

Children of Jacob Hench (2), brother of
grandfather Samuel : Sons — George Hench
and John Hench ; daughters — Elizabeth Mary,
Susanna and Rebecca.

Children of John Hench (3), brother of
grandfather Samuel : Sons — John, Jacob,
Conrad and Samuel ; daughters — Elizabeth
and Margaret.

Children of Samuel Hench, grandfather
of Walker A. Dromgold : Sons — Jeremiah
Hench, George W^ashington Hench ; daugh-
ters — Bandina married John Dromgold ; Sarah
Ann married John B. Ritter; Margaret mar-
ried Joseph Kell.

HOWARD P. GOODLING, manager of
the office of the A. B. Farquhar plant in York,
is one of the rising young men of that city. He
was born Dec. 6, 1872, at Loganville, in
Springfield township, York county, son of Rev,
Charles H. and Eliza (Miller) Goodling.

Rev. Charles H. Goodling was also born



BIOGRAPHICAL



187



at Loganville, in 1850, and spent his early
life there. He educated himself for the min-
istry and was ordained in 1881, now filling a
charge at West Berwick, Pa. He married
Elizabeth Miller, daughter of Samuel and
Mary (Fishel) Miller.

Howard P. Goodling spent his school days
in Williamsport, Baltimore and York, attended
two years at Central Pennsylvania College, and
three months at the Rochester Business Uni-
versity, Rochester, N.Y. He then taught school
for one year in Union county, and in 1895
entered the employ of the A. B. Farquhar Com-
pany as clerk in the office, where by hard and
conscientious work he has advanced himself
to his present position, having charge of the
office and the advertising and sales business.
In 1893 ^f- Goodling was united in marriage
with Maggie Spangler, daughter of John and
Jane (Schoch) Spangler, of Union county, and
to this union have been born two children,
Donald E. and Margaret E. He and his fam-
ily reside at No. 47 North Queen street, York.
In his political affiliations Mr. Goodling is a
Republican.

CHARLES FREDERICK SCHNABLE,

one of York's prominent retired citizens, was
born in Prussia, Germany, Feb. 9, 1822, son
of Charles Lewis and Wilhelmina (Kromer)
Schnable, the former of whom was a stone
mason by trade, a vocation he followed in his
native country, where he died at the age of
seventy-one years. Mrs. Schnable died when
sixty-five years of age.

Charles Frederick Schnable is the only
child of his parents yet living, and he received
his education in his native country. He came
to America in June, 1839, landing in Philadel-
phia, where he remained, however, but one
day. He made his way to York by way of
Lancaster and Columbia, in a wagon, there be-
ing no railway service at that time, and on ar-
riving in York he found employment as clerk
in a hardware store for Mr. Rosenmiller, with
whom he remained eighteen years. Mr.
Schnable then went to Tyler's hardware store,
being employed at that place twenty-seven
years, as manager, and at the end of that time
he retired from active life. Mr. Schnable spent
twelve years in the city of Chicago, but now
makes his home with his daughter, Mrs. J. D.
Harnish, of No. 625 East Market street, York.
Mr. Schnable is the owner of a fine home in



Irving Park, one of the fine residence suburbs
of the city of Chicago, 111., and he also owns
the building occupied by the Bixler Candy
Company, of York, situated at No. 207-209
West Market street.

In 1849 Mr. Schnable and Sophia Holt-
stine were united in marriage. Mrs. Schnable
was born Oct. 2, 1828, in Germany, daughter
of Adam Holtstine, and she died in 1895, be-
ing- buried at Prospect Hill cemetery. The
children born to Mr. and Mrs. Schnable were
as follows: John Henry, who died March 17,
1874; Edwin, who died June 30, 1854; Mary,
who died Oct. 10, 1870; Annie, wife of J. D.
Harnish, of East Market street, where our sub-
ject resides; Charles L., who married Eva
Shirey, and is in the job printing business in
Chicago, 111. ; William, who married Pearl
Dudgeon, and is a partner with his brother,
Charles L., in the printing business; George
M., who died Sept. 14, 1888; and Harry, de-
ceased. All of the deceased children were in-
terred in the family burying lot in Prospect
Hill cemetery.

In politics Mr. Schnable is a Democrat, but
takes no interest in political matters, and for
the last twelve years has not even attended the
elections. He is a faithful member of St.
Paul's Lutheran Church of York, in the work
of which he has been active, and has served as
a member of the church council. Mr. Schna-
ble's eighty-four years show that time has
touched him lightly, leaving him in the enjoy-
ment of physical vigor and mental strength.
Through his years of successful business ex-
perience he has retained the confidence and es-
teem of his fellow citizens which he gained in
his earlier years.

HENRY CARLS was for some years en-
gaged in agricultural pursuits, but has lived
retired for some time. He was born May 2,
1829, in Hanover, Germany, son of Frederick
W. and Annie E. (Myers) Carls. The father
was a day laborer in Germany, emigrating in
1854 to America, where he followed farming
until his death, in his eight}'-sixth year, at the
home of his son in Michigan. His wife had
died aged fifty-two years, leaving these chil-
dren : Charles F., who is now living at the
advanced age of eighty years, at Columbia,
Pa.; Francis H., residing in South America;
Henry; Herman H., who died in 1905, in
Michigan ; Margaretta, who lives in Indiana ;



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Henrietta, who resides in Cincinnati ; and
Annie Catherine, who passed away in York,
aged twent3'-two years.

Henr)- Carls received a common-school
education and learned the tanner's trade in
Germany. On June 25, 1856, Mr. Carls landed
at Baltimore, whence he removed to York,
where his father and. brother (Herman H.)
were located. Mr. Carls' first employment was
with a mason, no work at his own trade being
obtainable. On Oct. 5, 1856, he engaged with
Kurtz & Baugher at his trade and was em-
ployed by that firm when he enlisted, on Aug.
21,' 1864, in Co. H, 200th Pa. Vol. Inf.
He was an active participant at Fort Stead-
man, Petersburg, and in a number of other en-
gagements, and was discharged 'at Alexandria,
Va. After the war he returned to York, where
he worked at his trade for a few years with Mr.
Smyser, the tanner. He then purchased a farm
in Hopewell township, but as his wife did not
care for country life he returned to York after
a three months' experience as an agriculturist.
He was employed by Mr. Baugher until 1895,
since which time he has been living in retire-
ment at his home. No. 348 North Philadelphia
street.

In 1856 Mr. Carls married Anna Mary
Catherine Brinkmyer, who was born in Ger-
many, daughter of Henry Brinkmyer. She
died July 22, 1904, and was buried at Prospect
Hill cemetery. Mr. and Mrs. Carls had these
children : Louisa Catherine, the wife of Caspar
H. Oberdick, a carpet weaver of York;
Amelia, the wife of Henry F. Fisher, foreman
of the A. B. Farquhar foundry in York, where
they reside; and Annie, Charles, Frederick,
Henry and Samuel, all deceased. In politics
Mr. Carls is a Republican. He is an active
member of the First U. B. Church, in which
he has been class-leader and Sunday-school
treasurer for twenty-six years.

HENRY WASBERS, president of H.
Washers' York City Laundry Company, is one
of the most familiar figures in the business, po-
litical and social life of York. It is safe to say
that there is no name with which the people qf
York are more famiilar than that of Henry
Washers. As a laundryman he is widely
known, his wagons being constantly "on the
go'' through the streets of York, and his signs
visible on almost every street in the city.



The building which Mr. Washers occupies
for laundry, residence and apartment flats is
one of the finest on East King street. The orig-
inal building, which was 24x110 feet in dimen-
sions, was erected by Mr. Washers in 1895,
and more recently, in 1903, an addition was
built, which made the dimensions 48x110.
This building, which is of buff brick and terra
cotta, is four stories in height, the first and sec-
ond floors being devoted to laundry purposes.
Besides having his residence there, Mr. Was-
hers rents four flats of six rooms each, each
flat having an individual bath. He has twenty
out-of-town offices to his laundry, and the busi-
ness has doubled in the last seven years, the
output of work now amounting to $1,000 per
week. Mr. Washers was the pioneer in his
line, establishing and for a long time conduct-
ing alone the business that in April, 1905, be-
came the H. Washers York City Laundry
Company, with a capital stock of $100,000.
The officers are: H. Washers, president and
treasurer; Jacob Washers, vice-president; and
H. C. Ulmer, secretary.

The laundry is not the only business in
which Mr. Washers is interested, he being the
president of the Rockdale Powder Company.
He is manager of the York County Agricult-
ural Society, treasurer of the Merchants' Elec-
tric Light, Heat & Power Company, and finan-
cially interested in many other directions. He
is also president of the York City Gun Club,
and president of the York County Game Pro-
tective Association, having- been one of the or-
ganizers of the latter club. Fraternally he be-
longs to the B. P. O. E. and the Lafayette Club.

In politics Mr. Washers is a Democrat, and
he was elected to the select council from the
First ward for a four-years term, this election
having taken place in February, 1904. He is
one of the most intelligent and progressive
members of the Highway committee, and is
ever ready to contribute of his time, influence
and means to the material growth of the city of
York. It is not a matter of wonder, therefore,
that he was urged by his Democratic friends,
as well as by many Republican friends, to ac-
cept the nomination for mayor of York in the
spring of 1905.

HENRY F. FISHER, foreman in the
foundry of the A. B. Farquhar Co., of York,
Pa., and a public spirited and representative
citizen, was born June 12, 1857, in Manne-



BIOGRAPHICAL



giifen, Hafort, Westfalen, Prussia, son of
William J. Fisher.

The grandfather of our subject was a
farmer of Prussia, Germany, who had a fam-
ily of twelve children : -William ; Henry ;
Louisa ; Mary ; Elizabeth ; Maria ; Elizabeth
(2) ; Frederick, who came to America at the
age of thirty-two years, and was never heard
of again by his family; Catherine; Ida;
Frances ; and William J. Of the above family
Frederick, Catherine and Ida were triplets.

William J. Fisher was born in Prussia May
8, 1824, and there followed farming. He en-
listed in the war of the Rebellion as a private,
1847 to 1851. On Oct. I, 1857, he landed in
Baltimore with his family, remaining there one
night, after which he located in York, where
he found employment in a stone quarry, re-
maining for forty-five years, for thirty-
seven years of which he was with H. Y. Kott-
camp. He married Marj^ Stottmyer, born
April 25, 1828, in Germany, daughter of An-
thony Stottmyer. They are both still living
and in good health, making their home at No.
141 North Penn street, York. For twenty-
eight years Mr. Fisher has been a class leader
in the First United Brethren Church. His chil-
dren were : Mary Ann, who married George A.
Shettley, died in 1891, and is buried at Pros-
pect Hill cemetery; William J., who died in
Germany at the age of one year ; Henry F. ;
J. William, who died in York in 1885, and is
buried at Prospect Hill cemetery ; and Louisa
Jane, wife of John Myers, of York.

Henry F. Fisher attended the district
schools of the township until eleven years of
age, when he found his first employment in
York at stripping tobacco, and he also worked
at the old brick yard. In 1869 he engaged with
Mr. Baugher at the molding trade, and re-
mained there until 1880, when he went to the
A. B. Farquhar Company. In 1896-7-8-9 he
was janitor of the Garfield school, but after
that returned to the Farquhar Co., taking
charge of the foundry July i, 1900. He is a
very skilled mechanic, and has eighty-five men
working under his order. Mr. Fisher makes
his residence at No. 39 North Penn street,
York.

In 1879 Mr. Fisher and Miss Amelia Jane
Carls were united in marriage. She was born
Aug. 21, 1859, daughter of Henry and Anna
Mary (Brinkmyer) Carls. The following chil-



dren have been born to this marriage : Charles
H., born April 25, 1880, attended the Col-
legiate Institute of York for three years, grad-
uated from the Lebanon Valley College in
1904, and is now attending the Union Theo-
logical Seminary at New York City, studying
for the ministry; Nettie K., born Sept. 16,
1881, a graduate of the York High School, is
teaching in the Garfield school ; Lottie M., born
July 6, 1884, is a graduate (1905) in music,
from the Lebanon Valley College; \\'illiam J.,
born Feb. 7, 1886, is a draughtsman at the A.
B. Farquhar Co.; Rosa J., born Sept. 8, 1887,
is at home; Clarence E., born May 8, 1892,
is at school; and Ralph F. was born Nov. 3,
1 90 1. Politically Mr. Fisher is a Republican,
and is now serving on the city school board
from the Fifth ward. In 1887 he was a mem-
ber of the common council.

H. KISTER FREE, of the firm of H. Free
& Co., dealers in wines and liquors at York and
also county commissioner, is one of the leading
young business men of that city. He was born
Aug. 9, 1869, at York, and comes of one of the
old York county families.

Adam Free, the grandfather, was a farmer
and distiller in Manchester township, York
county, where he died aged fifty-eight years,
and lies buried in the Prospect Hill cem'eterv.
He married Mary Ann Hake, daughter of
Jacob Hake and she died aged sixty-two years,
and was laid to rest by the side of her husband.
Their children were: Eli H. Free married
(first) Mary Kraft, who died in 1865, a"d
(second) Catherine Cassel, and thev reside in
Newberry township near Falls Station ; Jacob,
deceased, married Adeline Fink ; Andrew mar-
ried Eliza Stare, and lives near Emigsville,
Pa. : Henry married Leah Rutter, and died in
York; Augustus is mentioned below; Louise,
widow of Alexander W. Shetter, resides at No.
119 Beaver street, York; Mary is the wife of
John Schall of York; Amanda is the wife of
H. Gipe of York; John W., deceased, married
Katie Ingelfritz; and Catherine Jane is the
widow of John Loucks of York.

Augustus Free, father of our subject, with
his brother Henry, established the business
which is now operated by H. Kister Free. He
died in York in 1898.' He married Jennie
Kister of Etters, Pa., who survives.

H. Kister Free was educated in the public



190



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



schools of York, and at York Academy, and
began business life as clerk for his father and
uncle Henry in the very store of which he is
now one of the proprietors. Here he continued
to clerk for ten years. In February, 1900, he
and his brother Ralph A. bought the business
and have conducted it very successfully ever
since, having a very large trade in this and sur-
rounding counties. The location continues the
same as formerly, No. 44 North George street.

Mr. Free is one of the city's active Re-
publican politicians, having been elected to the
council first to fill out the unexpired term of
Peter Keller, in 1895, and subsequently was
elected to the office for three terms from the
Second ward. Under the administration of
Mayor Gibson he was elected county commis-
sioner in January, 1901, and still most ef-
ficiently fills the duties of the office. He has
great influence with all elements, and is looked
upon as one of the rising young business men
and politicians.

Mr. Free married Annie M. Stallman,
daughter of William H. Stallman, of York,and
they have two children, Raymond K. and Will-
iam A., both at school. Mr. Free has a wide
circle of friends both in and out of the various
fraternal organizations, he having membership
in a number of these, being president of the
Rex Hook and Ladder Co. of York; of
Codorus Council, No. 115, Jr. O. U. A. M.,
of York; Odd Fellows Lodge No. 853;
Heptasophs No. 12, and has passed all the
chairs in York Lodge No. 213, B. P. O. E., of
which he is one of the past Exalted Rulers.

DR. WILSON W. BOLTON, of York,
Pa., proprietor of the establishment of Albany
Dentists, is a native of the State of Kansas,
born in Marysville, that State, Sept. 28, 1872,
son of Rev. C. S. Bolton.

Jacob H.Bolton, grandfather of the Doctor,
was born in Harrisburg, Pa. In early man-
hood he went to Ohio, and there died, as did
also his wife, Rachael (Ross) Bolton, who had
been born in Lancaster, Pa. A brother of
Jacob H. Bolton founded the well known Bol-
ton Hotel, in Harrisburg, which still bears that
name.

Rev. C. S. Bolton, father of Dr. Bolton,
was educated at Oberlin, Ohio, for the min-
istry, and followed that calling in the Baptist
faith for a number of years. He retired in



1900, and since that j^ear has lived in Cameron,
Mo., with his wife. The Rev. Mr. Bolton mar-
ried Lydia A. Shelly, and they had six chil-
dren : Dr. J. C, a dentist of Lancaster, Pa.;
J. H., a merchant of Cameron, Mo.; Minnie;
Alice; Luella; and Dr. Wilson W.

Dr. Wilson W. Bolton spent his early
school days in his native place, and graduated
from the high school at Cameron, Mo. He
then entered the Kansas City Dental College,
from which he graduated in 1892, and in 1893
he came to Pennsylvania and located at Lan-
caster, where he remained three years, engaged
in the practice of his profession. After this he
attended a Pennsylvania dental college, and
when he had graduated he settled in York,
opening an office in 1899 at No. 24 West I\Iar-
ket street, where he has since been engaged.
He has one of the best ecjuipped offices in the
city and has built up a large practice.

The Doctor was united in marriage in 1899
to Miss Adele Eichler, daughter of H. P. Eich-
ler, a manufacturer of Lancaster, Pa., and two



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 36 of 201)