Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 42 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 42 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


his boyhood days upon the farm, attending the
district schools during the winter months.
Later he went to the Dover public schools, and
for a short time had the privilege of attending
a select school, and at all times he made the
most of his opportunities. In 1S55 he came to
York, and entered the dry goods store of Pe-
ter Wiest, there remaining about six years. At
that time the war broke out, and he was too
patriotic to remain at home, so enlisted in
Company A, P. V. I., Col. George Hay com-
manding. Mr. Neuman was ordered with his
regiment to the front in Virginia, and he par-
ticipated in a number of engagements, among
which was one near Petersburg, on the Wel-
don railroad, where he was severely wounded
June 23, 1864, by a gun-shot, the ball passing
through his left thigh. He was sent to the
hospital at City Point, partially recovered, and
in September, 1864, was discharged at the ex-
piration of his term of enlistment. Returning
to York this brave young soldier took up the
thread of private life, entering into partner-
ship with Peter C. Wiest in the grocery and
confectionery business in which he continued
until 1879, that year dissolving the partner-
ship and establishing himself in the business
of manufacturing ice cream. In connection
with' this business he began to handle ice, sell-
ing largely both at wholesale and retail, and
giving employment to eighteen or twenty men.
Naturally from time to time, he added the other
commodities he now carries, and has made an
exceptional success of his work.

On Oct. 16, 1866, Mr. Neuman married
Miss Amanda Wambaugh, daughter of John
Wamljaugh, and they have had these children :
Edward W. ; James W. ; Margie, wife of Hus-
ton E. Landis ; Daisy, wife of Charles V. Bor-
ing, of Pittsburg- : and Mary. Mr. Neuman is
a member of Sedgwick Post No. 37, G. A. R. ;
and of the Union Veteran Legion, No. 65, of
which he is serving as quartermaster and has
since its organization in 1890. He and his
family are consistent members of the Reformed
Church, and very highly respected in the com-
munity.

LEHMAYER BROTHERS. Nathan
LEHMAYER,the oldcst living merchant in York,
was born in Germany in 1833, son of Moses



and Caroline Lehmayer. The father died in
1847 in German}^ where he had been a mer-
chant for thirty years, and after his death Mrs.
Lehmayer brought her children to America,
where they located, settling in York, Pa.

Nathan Lehmayer and his brothers, Simon
and Joseph, were the founders of the well
known men's clothing and furnishing business
of Lehmayer Brothers at York. The firm was
established under that name on the site of the
present large store, the business at that time,
however, being very smal in comparison to the
patronage the firm enjoys at present. Joseph
Lehmayer died in 1877 and Simon in 1890,
while Nathan continued the store under the,
same name. On Feb. 17, 1904, his three sons,
Martin, Louis and William, were admitted in-
to partnership with their father, and the mem-
bership of the firm has continued the same since
that time. The name of Lehmayer Brothers is
known throughout York county, and the store
has the reputation of being the most reliable
of its kind in the city of York. In proportion
to the growth of the business so has Mr. Leh-
mayer increased his building and stock, being
now the employer of fourteen people. The
building, 34x120 feet, is equipped with modern
fixtures and appliances, and the business has
grown to large proportions — solelv because of
the quality and reliability of the goods sold,
and through Mr. Lehmayer's good business
judgment and strict attention to business.

Since 18:55 Mr. Lehmayer has been a mem-
ber of the Masons at York. In religious mat-
ters he is connected with the Reformed He-
brew Church. On Jan. 13, 1861, he was united
in marriage with Mary Rosenbaum, daughter
of Moses and Caroline Rosenbaum, of Phila-
delphia, and to this union were born children
as follows : Pauline, who is now the widow of
J. Schall Wilhelm : Martin, born in 1864. who
married Martha Rosenau ( he is a member of
the Masons, the Elks and the Royal Arcanum
of York) ; Daisy M., living in York, who there
married Abe Jandorf; Louis, born Nov. 6,
1867, who married Adella Strasberger (he
belongs to the Masons, the Elks and the Hep-
tasophs) : William, bom Na\-. 9, 1868, who
married Rae Herz fhe belongs to the Masons,
the Elks and the Royal Arcanum) ; and Carrie,
who lives in Philadelphia, married to Marc
Hydeman.



218



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENXSYLVAXL\



JAMES H. GABLE, president and gen-
eral manager of the Deer Creek Water & Wa-
ter Power Company, of Stewartstown, form-
erly a prominent lawyer of Baltimore, has had
one of the most unique not to say distinguished
careers of any resident of York county. He
became well known not only for his marked
legal ability, but for a versatility of talent for
achievement in other directions as well. To
unusual natural gifts for the profession of the
law he united the best of training, and with
such advantages his ambition carried him for-
ward to well deserved success.

In both paternal and maternal lines Mr.
Gable descends from prominent old families in
York county. The tradition is that his ma-
ternal great-great-grandfather, George Von
Einstein (as the name was originally spelled),
was forced to leave Canada at the time of the
Revolution to escape British conscription of
certain of his grown sons, and fleeing to the
United States settled at Catskill, N. Y. Thence
he removed to the region of the Wyoming Val-
ley, but again was driven from his home, by
the Indian depredations, culminating in the
celebrated Wyoming massacre, and he finally
settled in York county, in Windsor township,
now Lower Windsor, on a tract of 315 acres,
for which he paid $2,000 in gold and silver
coins, as the deed recites.

Mr. Gable's great-grandfather, commonly
called George Anstine, and son of the preced-
ing George Von Einstein, on attaining the mil-
itary age entered the Colonial army, in which
he remained until the close of the Revolution-
ary war. In his later years he was often heard
to say that he was entitled to a pension but
would not apply for one. After his discharge
from the patriot army he returned presumably
to his home in Windsor, afterward married
a Miss Shearer, and subsequently purchased a
tract of land in Hopewell township, of about
three hundred acres, whereon a large part of
Stewartstown is now built.

On his father's side Mr. Gable's greit-
grandfather was Valentine Gable, who built
and owned the well known "Brogue Hotel"
at Brogueville. The next in line, Jacob Gable,
was born in Chanceford township, as was also
his son, Israel, on the family homestead near
the old Manor Furnace.

Israel Gable followed farming, but he was
a many-sided man of great force and business-
like sagacity, and had. besides his farming in-



terests, divers pursuits and occupations. At
the age of sixty lie had acquired a handsome
competence, and was the owner of one of the
very hnest estates 111 Hopewell township, com-
prising about three hundred acres. The home-
stead tract of 200 acres adjoined on the south
the borough of Stewartstown, none of it, how-
ever, belonging to the old Anstine tract pre-
viously mentioned, which lay to the west of
said town. Dividing a large part of his estate
and property with his children, and having
given and provided a liberal education for
them all, he lived his later days in leisure and
retirement at the old homestead and died in
1 90 1, in the eighty-fifth year of his age. His
wife was Miss Catherine Anstine, the eldest
of thirteen children born to Henry Anstine,
who was a farmer and oil operator in Hope-
well township. Mrs. Gable died several
months before her husband, aged eighty-eight.
To the union of Israel and Catherine ( An-
stine) Gable were born six children who grew
to manhood and womanhood. In the order of
age they were: James H., the subject of this
sketch; Henry A., wholesale and retail dealer
in hardware in Harrisburg; Mary, who mar-
ried (first) William Norton, of Ohio, and
(second) T. C. Thoburn, of Peabody, Kans. ;
T. Benson, who is on the family estate at
Stewartstown ; Elizabeth, the first woman phy-
sician who matriculated from York county,
who first held a responsible position in the Wil-
mington Asylum for the Insane, and later was
at kirkbride, Philadelphia, but her strength
being overtaxed, pneumonia intervened and
she died at the old home from tuberculosis;
and Esther Anna, the youngest, who was an
artist and amateur authoress and for higher
musical talent has acquired quite a local repu-
tation.

James H. Gable was born in Shrewsbury,
June 7, 1844. He was educated in the Stew-
artstown Academy, and the Military and Clas-
sical Institute at Columbia, Lancaster county,
and when onlv fifteen began his own career as
a teacher. His first school was at Old Center
School, near Forest Hill, in Harford county,
Md., from which place he went to Hopewell
township, then to Delta Academy, York coun-
tv, and finally to Columbia, becoming first as-
sistant in the institute there. This position he
resigned to enter the colporteurage field for
the Presbvterian Board of Publication, and for
the next two vears canvassed a large section of



BIOGRAPHICAL



2T9



tlie territory then comprised in Donegal. Hun-
tingdon and Northumberland Presbyteries. He
was quite successful in selling and distribut-
.ing- a large amount of the board's books and
Presbyterian literature, formed many pleasant
acfiuaintances with the prominent ministers and
laymen of the church over the sections visited,
and still retains many agreeable reminiscent
memories of these days. Having made c^uite
a complete canvass for the Board in the city
of Williamsport, Pa., and also an extended
tour through the West Branch Valley, he was
ofifered the position of secretary of the Young
Men's Christian Association at Williamsport,
and librarian of its library, the only circulating
library of any note then in the city. This
place he held for four years, and made use of
it for a course of reading and an acquisition of
knowledge of both books and men that stood
him in good stead in after years. That posi-
tion Mr. Gable resigned in order to enter the
law office of Phelps & Findlay, in Baltimore.
Mr. Phelps afterward became Judge of the
Supreme court, while Mr. Findlav was re-
turned to Congress. With his own natural
powers so adapted for the law developed by
these able preceptors, it was to be expected that
Mr. Gable would reach a position of promi-
nence at the Bar of Baltimore, and for twelve
years he pursued his profession there most suc-
cessfully. During the twelve years of his ac-
tive practice, as is shown by the reported cases,
he tried or assisted in the trial, and argued in
the Court of Appeals of Maryland (the high-
est court in the State), the Supreme Court of
the United States, and other higher courts,
some twenty-five or thirty cases reported.
These were all additional to a large practice
in the Common Law and Equity Courts
of original jurisdiction in Baltimore City;
his practice was altogether in the Civil
courts, saving an exceptional instance or
two in the City Criininal Court; he
also eschewed divorce cases and prac-
tice. The first case he tried after admis-
sion to the Bar was in the Court of Appeals,
in which he appeared for the appellant and re-
versed the Circuit Court for Baltimore Coun-
tv (Judges Grason and Yellott). At the end
of twelve years Mr. Gable's health failed, and
after a six months' trip and sojourn in Europe
he lived for four years in the more genial and
favoring climate of Washington, D. C, where



his literary turn of mind led him to take ad-
\antage of the famous Congressional Library.
In 1897 ^'I'"- Gable returned to Ste\rartstown,
to make his home, and there lived in compara-
ti\'e retirement, although he undertook oc-
casional cases in Baltimore. In 1903, however,
when he became interested in the Deer Creek
Water & Water Power Company, he again
entered into more active business life, and is
serving as president and general manager of
the company at the present time. The water
works supply of the company and the power
plant on Deer Creek are just now in course of
construction and when completed as contem-
plated promise great results for Stewartstown
and vicinity.

Mr. Gable was married July 12, 1877, to
Miss Harriet L. Stirling, daughter of Robert
Stirling, retired, of Baltimore. Her death oc-
curred Julv 15, 1890, and eight years later, on
Jan. 26, 1899, Mr. Gable was married to Mrs.
Ida M. Ritchey, widow of Robert Ritchey, of
Stewartstown. Mrs. Ritchey was the mother
of one son. Henry, of the class of 1907, York
Collegiate Institute.

Mr. Gable belongs to the Presbyterian
Church of Baltimore, in which he was for
some time vice-chairman of the Church Guild.
In politics he is a Republican, and he was one
of the charter members of the Reform League
of Baltimore, an organization which has ex-
erted a marked influence for good in that citv
in the final overthrow of the corrupt nolitical
rings of both city and State. ^Ir. Gable is
now living quietly in the city of York, where
his name and opinions deservedly command
the confidence and respect of his fellow-citi-
zens.

GEORGE W. S. LOUCKS. ex-mavor of
York, is a prominent Republican and a success-
ful manufacturer of that citv. He comes of
one of the old York county families, members
of which for generations have been well-
known farmers.

George W. S. Loucks was born Sept. 29,
1856, at Hoffmansville, Baltimore Co., Md.,
and was educated in York County Academy
under Prof. Ruby. His grandfather, George,
lived and died on the homestead farm, one mile
from York ; his father, Jacob, was a paper
manufacturer.

The first employment of Mr. Loucks was



220



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



with is uncle, P. H. Glatfelter, in the paper
making business, where he remained three
years. He then, in 1877-78, went into business
with his father, the firm being Jacob Loucks
& Son, and began the manufacture of various
small ice machines. That business was the
germ of the present York Manufacturing
Company, \\-hich has grown to such gigantic
proportions. Mr. Loucks remained with the
manufacturing company, through its various
stages of development, until 1893, when he was
elected mayor of York for a term of three
years, being the first Republican mayor of
that city.

After the expiration of his official term,
Mr. Loucks took no active part in business un-
til June, 1904, when he resumed his connection
with the York Manufacturing Company, this
time in the clerical department.

In July, 1882, Mr, Loucks married Annie
M. Lord, daughter of Robert L. Lord, of
Shrewsbury, York county. Mr. Lord was a
manufacturer of dye stuffs, the dyes being ex-
tracted from the bark of various trees. To
3.1r. and Mrs. Loucks three children have been
born, as follows : Robert L., a graduate of
the Y^ork high school, class of 1904, who re-
ceived from Congressman Lafean, as a result
of a competitive examination, the appointment
to a cadetship at the Naval Academy at Ann-
apolis; and Margaret and Catherine, members
of the class of 1905, in the York high school.
In a Democratic community, Mr. Loucks
has always been an uncompromising Republi-
can, and has time and again been a dele-
gate to county and state conventions. In
religious faith he is a Methodist. He is a
member of the ^Masonic Order, a Knight
Templar, and a Mystic Shriner. He belongs
to the Odd Fellows lodge and Encampment;
and is a member of the Order, of Red Men, and
Knights of Malta. In social and political cir-
cles no man in the community enjoys a wider
popularity than George W. S. Loucks.

EDWARD WING SHAPLEY, pro-
prietor of the Shapley Publishing House,
Dillsburg, editor and proprietor of The Nezv
Era, has been in the business at that place for
over twenty years, and has one of the best
ecjuipped establishments in York county.

!^Ir. Shapley was born April 7, 1857, in
Carlisle, Cumberland Co., Pa., and comes of a
family long known in that section, but origin-



ally of New England origin, his grandfather,
Rufus E. Shapley, having been a native of
Massachusetts, whence he came to Carlisle in
early manhood. There he became the owner
of much valuable real estate and was an exten-
sive manufacturer. He married Lydia E.
Metzger, and they became the parents of a large
family, all the sons of which became promi-
nent in business and the various professions,
namely: John located in Ohio and became
widely known in the medical profession ; Joel
lived in Shippensburg, where he became
wealthy and influential ; Edmund lived in ]\Ie-
chanicsburg; Rufus E. spent his days in Car-
lisle, where he was one of the largest property
holders and most prosperous men of his day
(his son, Rufus E., third of that name, is one
of the most distinguished lawyers of Phila-
delphia) ; Charles was the father of Edward
Wing Shapley, whose name introduces these
lines.

Charles Shapley was, like his brothers, a
prosperous and influential citizen, making his
home in Carlisle, where he was engaged in
the manufacture of furniture. He accumulated
a large property. His wife, Lydia J. Connelly,
bore him the following children: William C,
who resided in Carlisle ; Lydia and Laura ; Ed-
ward Wing; Joseph, deceased, who was a
prominent business man of Carlisle; and
Harry L., now a leading furniture dealer in
Carlisle. The mother of this family still makes
her home in Carlisle; the father died in 1882.
He was an official member of the First Pres-
byterian Church of Carlisle.

Edward Wing Shapley was taught in the
public schools and academy in Carlisle. At the
age of twenty he started on a tour of the West,
returning after an absence of three years, and
settling in Dillsburg, became engaged in the
printing and publishing business with J. X.
Rhoads, Esq. At the end of the first year he
became sole proprietor and as such continued
the business for twenty years with uniform suc-
'cess. Meantime he took an active part in pub-
lic affairs, serving a number of times on the
school board, and in the council chambers, and
like most successful business men he has been
eminently useful in the local civil administra-
tion. He is now the proprietor of the Shapley
Publishing House, publishing The Neic Era,
one of the most reliable newspapers of this sec-
tion. The establishment is splendidly equip-
ped with modern machinery for newspaper



BIOGRAPHICAL



work, binding, job printing, etc., and enjoys
first class patronage. For fourteen years he
has aloo been engaged in farming.

]\Ir. Shapley is a man of social disposi-
tion, and takes much pleasure in his church and
fraternal relations. He is a Knight Templar
Mason, belonging to the Blue Lodge at Me-
chanicsburg, Samuel C. Perkins Chapter, at
Harrisburg, and St. John's Commandery, Car-
lisle; he afliliates with the Heptasophs at Dills-
liurg. His church membership is in the
iM(,naghan Presbyterian Church, in which he
is a ruling elder and teacher of the Young
Ladies" Bible Class.

In 1882 Mr. Shapley married Miss Laura
E. Smith, only daughter of J. A. Smith, of
Dillsburg. They reside in a large farm in
Carroll township, adjoining Dillsburg, which
]\Ir. Shapley owns.

J. C. STEM, M. D., an eminently success-
ful physician and surgeon of York county,
whose chosen field of practice is in the city of
York, is conveniently situated in his offices on
West Market street. Dr. Stem was born July
26, 1855, in Cashtown, z\dams county, son of
William and Eliza (Watson) Stem.

Dr. Stem's parents were natives of Adams
county, and of German and Irish descent.
They had two children — twins — J. C. and An-
nie. The mother was a twin. William Stem
was a well-known physician of Cashtown, and
lived retired many years, and his father, Reu-
ben Stem, a merchant, was a resident of Adams
county, where he also lived retired for many
years prior to his death. James Watson,
father of Mrs. Eliza (Watson) Stem, died at
the remarkable age of 102 years.

Dr. J. C. Stem spent his early days in Cash-
town, \^■here he attended the public and private
schools, and afterward for five terms attended
a select school at Gettysburg. For three win-
ters he taught school at Buchanan Valley,
Adams county. At the age of seventeen years
he began the study of medicine with his father,
and then attended the Cincinnati College of
Medicine and Surgery, from which he was
graduated with the class of 1878. He then
took a tour through the West, after which, in
the fall of 1878, he settled in Lewisberry. Pa.,
where he built up a lucrative practice. After
practicing at Lewisberry for twenty-five years
Dr. Stem removed, in September, 1903, to No.



527 Market street, York, where he has since
engaged ui a general practice, also becoming
the official examining surgeon for the local
Camp, Alodern \\"ooamen of America.

In 1880 Dr. Stem 'married Alary Paup,
daughter of Hiram and Phoebe A. (Hooper)
Paup, of York county. Socially Dr. Stem be-
longs to the Heptasophs, Artisans, Odd Fel-
lows and Modern Woodmen of America, and
is a Mason of the thirty-second degree, being a
member of Harrisburg Consistory and past
commander of York Commandery, No. 21.

It may be said that Dr. Stem took his first
lessons in surgery when a mere bo}-. When
the Confederate arm}" invaded Pennsylvania
Gen. Lee had his headquarters during the fore-
noon of the first day's fight in Dr. Stem's fath-
er's lot, and his father's office was filled with
wounded Confederates. The elder Dr. Stem
(attended to their injuries, and the genial Dr.
J. C. Stem, now of York, then a lad of eight
years, handing bandages and other needful
things to his father, thus rendered all the as-
sistance of which a child of his age was capa-
ble.

HENRY W..HEFFENER, of York, Pa.,
was born in that city, in 1845. son of William
H. and Charlotte ( Reika ) Heffner. both na-
tives of Germany, who settled in York the year
in which our subject was born.

The military career of Mr. Heffener is a
romantic one, and began when he, at the early
age of sixteen, enlisted in Company G, 9th Pa.
Veteran Cavalry, and soon thereafter, his reg-
iment was placed under Gen. Kilpatrick's com-
mand, the only Pennsylvania cavalry to partic-
ipate in Sherman's famous march to the sea.
Mr. Hefifener participated in all of the engage-
ments and skirmishes of his regiment from At-
lanta, Ga., to Morrisonville, N. C, where he
saw Gen. Joseph E. Johnston's forces sur-
render, and he remained" with Sherman's Army
until the close of the war. At Waynesboro,
his horse was shot dead from under him. Mr.
Heffener was one of 100 men selected to carry
important dispatches from Gen. Kilpatrick to
Gen. Sherman. They performed the daring act
of piercing the Confederate lines, and passing
through them to Gen. Sherman. This was
justly considered one of the most daring acts
of the war, and richly merits the admiration
of all. The Ninth regiment captured, dur-



HISTORY OF YORK COUXTY, PENNSYLVANIA



ing its term of ser\-ice, some 8,000 prisoners,
twenty-eight pieces of artillery, and destroyed
hundreds of miles of railroad and bridges. It
was known as Krider's Mounted Rangers, and
did scout duty for all the prominent generals
under the famous "Kentucky Bill," who burnt
the house of Gen. Battle, where all the guer-
illas had their headquarters, and were com-
manded by a son of the general. After being
mustered out at Harrisburg, Mr. Heffener re-
turned to York, and followed the trade of a
painter until 1868. He then became a fireman
on the Northern Central railroad, and thus
continued until he entered into his present
business of manufacturing cigar boxes.

Mr. Heffener, in addition to his other in-
terests, is a member of the Keystone Building
Association, and acts as director in the same:
he is also a director in the York National
Bank. Naturally, he is a prominent member
of the G. A. R. and a member of the Lodge of
Elks, Heptasophs, and the Lafayette Club, and
also belongs to the Rescue Fire Association.
For some years, he has served very acceptably
on the town council, and is a man of high
standing in the community.

In April, 1883, Mr. Heffener married Miss
Rebecca Brenner, of Adams county, and they
have one child, George W. Mr. and Mrs.
Heffener are highly esteemed in the commun-
ity, where they have many friends. Mr. Hef-
fener has lived an upright, industrious life,
and is now beginning to enjoy the fruits of his



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 42 of 201)