Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 44 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 44 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Fon Dersmith quit banking, and entered the
grocery store of John F. Stauffer, at Lancas-
ter, but the attractions of the banking business
proved too strong, and he again entered that
line, working for several years in a bank at
Columbia. In 1891 he came to Wrightsville,
accepting the cashiership of the First National
Bank, the position he is today so ably filling.



In Columbia, in 1892, Mr. Fon Dersmith
was married to Miss Catherine Gossler, of that
city, daughter of Philip and Emily Gossler.
One child, Philip Gossler, has blessed this
union. Both Mr. and Mrs. Fon Dersmith are
members of the Presbyterian Church, the for-
mer being an official therein. In politics he is
a stanch Republican. His fraternal connec-
tions are with the Masons, his membership be-
ing in Riverside Lodge, No. 503, F. & A. ML
He is very popular among his many friends,
who have learned to trust him and to honor
him, as a man among men, a friend among
friends.

REV. THOMAS THOMPSON EVER-
ETT, D. D., of York, clergyman of the Luth-
eran Church, was born Feb. 26, 1840, at Peek-
skill, Westchester Co., N. Y., son of Richard
John Everett, LL. D., lawyer, and Elizabeth
(Reynolds) Everett. He comes of old Dutch-
ess county (N. Y.) stock, his great-great-
great-grandfather having been the principal
founder of Poughkeepsie, that county. Dr.
Everett removed to New York City, where he
resided until after he attained his majority.
He attended the Mohawk Valley (New York)
Seminary, and was originally educated for
journalism, before he became of age entering
the office of the old Neiv York Morning and
Evening Express, under J. & E. Brookes. The
paper was then printed at the corner of Wall
and Nassau streets. He was trained from
proof-reader to editorial writer, and followed
the profession successfulh^ in New York and
Pittsburg. For several years he was special
correspondent at the Legislature, at Albany,
N. Y., for the Near York Sim, Ne%<.' York
Nezps, Nezu York Journal of Commerce and
iVt-zc York Express, and in 1865 became city
editor of the Pittsburg Dispatch. Subse-
quently he joined the editorial force of the
Pittsburg Commercial.

In 1868 Dr. Everett retired from news-
paper life. Turning his attention to theology,
he took a course at the Theological Seminary
at Gettysburg, Pa., and then became pastor of
Lutheran churches at Greencastle. Pa.. Day-
ton, Ohio, Harrisburg, Pa., Brooklyn. N. Y.,
Cobleskill, N. Y., and York, Pa., where he
has been located since Jan. i, 1898.

Dr. Everett has not confined his labors to
the ordinary routine of a pastor's work. While
in Dayton, Ohio, he was a member of the
board of directors of ^^'ittenberg College;



228



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



served as president of the Miami Synod; and
is now president of the West Pennsylvania
Synod. He has been four times elected a
delegate to the General Synod of his church,
and three times as an alternate delegate. He
has visited Europe twice and has preached in
London, Paris, Geneva, Liverpool, Dublin and
other places. He has delivered many bacca-
laureate sermons and commencement ad-
dresses, and has delivered special addresses
on numerous public occasions and many
lectures. "As a preacher he reveals culture,
earnest thought, genuine hunmnity and a
deep love of the truth. On the lecture
platform he is a lecturer, not a preacher. He
displays his resources to advantage; is mag-
netic, humorous, eloquent and popular. He
understands the art of putting an audience en
rapport with himself. Everybody who has
heard him speaks in his praise." He has writ-
ten numerous articles for the religious and
secular press.

In 1883 Dr. Everett was .offered the po-
sition of private secretary by Gov. Robert Em-
oi-y Pattison, and he discharged the duties of
that responsible incumbency from that year
until 1887, giving the utmost satisfaction.
Throughout that period he also served as re-
corder of the State Board of Pardons of Penn-
sylvania. He had previously served in public
office in New York City, where he was trustee
of the common schools in the Eighth ward in
1864-68. He is a Republican in political sen-
timent.

As may be judged by the variety of inter-
ests to which he has given his support, Dr.
Everett is a man of the broadest humanity
and of wide sympathies. He is straightfor-
ward, unassuming and possessed of unassail-
able integrity, and his practical methods have
enabled him to do effective work in many
cherished projects for the betterment of man-
kind. His pleasant social qualities have won the
good will and friendship of those with whom
he has been associated in any relation of life.
In 1 88 1 he received the degree of Doctor of
Divinity, causa honoris, from Washington and
Lee University, Lexington, Va. He is a past
noble grand of Christian Lodge, I. O. O. F.,
New York.

Dr. Everett married Emma Collingwood,
of Pittsburg, Pa. They have no children.

ALTLAND. The Altland family were
among the earliest settlers in York county. Pa.,



and the old homestead has been the property
of succeeding generations for over 170 years.
It lies about a mile from Big Mount, and there
the great-grandfather of the present genera-
tion, by name Jacob Altland, was born. His
wife was a Miss Trimmer.

Daniel Altland, son of Jacob, while living
on a farm also, was employed at cabinetmak-
ing and in the undertaking business. He was
also a preacher in the German Lutheran
Church. His death occurred in 1894,- when
he was aged eighty-six years.

Daniel Altland, son of Daniel, was born
two and a half miles from Big Mount, and was
sent for his early education to the schools of
York county. Later he attended the York
County Academy, and after completing his
literary training, entered the profession of
teaching, also learning the trade of a carpenter
and cabinetmaker. In time he gave up teach-
ing, and for many years was engaged in a gen-
eral mercantile business in Mechanicsburg. He
retired from this in 1890, and moved to York,
Pa., where he lived retired until the death of
his wife, when, in 1903, he removed to Dills-
burg. In 1856 he was married to Elizabeth,
daughter of David S. Shaeffer, who resided
near Gettysburg. Two sons and a daughter
were born to this union, Alfred D., Frank M.
and Mary J.

Alfred D. Altland was born near Get-
tysburg, Oct. 16, 1857. While he was still a
child his father located in Mechanicsburg, and
there the boy was educated, and later began
his business career. He was fourteen when he
began clerking for J. A. Kauffman, of that
city, and after three years experience in that
position he went into business with his father
under the firm name of D. A. Altland & Co.
In 1880 he engaged in business for himself
in Lisbon, Cumberland county, but after two
years removed to Dillsburg and opened a gen-
eral mercantile establishment. Ten years later
he started the manufacture of horse flj^ nets,
collars and harness, and was so successful that
in 1897 he sold his former business to his
brother Frank M., and gave his entire atten-
tion to his manufacturing industry. The pro-
ducts of his factory go to all parts of Penn-
sylvania, Ohio, Indiana and Maryland, and
his plant is the largest in Dillsburg, employing
at times as many as fifty hands. In connection
with his regular business Mr. Altland handles
a full line of harness, saddlerj^ horse clothing




- ^S, .s«2^^2<^



BIOGRAPHICAL



229



and leather; he is also the owner of the Dills-
burg Harness Company.

In 1879 occurred Mr. Altland's marriage
with Miss Mary E. Wilson, daughter of
George W. Wilson, of Cumberland county.
They have one daughter, Lettie, who attended
the public schools of Dillsburg, graduated from
Harrisburg Business College, and for several
years filled the position of bookkeeper in her
father's office; in 1904 she married J. Victor
Jones, of York, where they reside. Mr. Alt-
land is a Republican in his views, and has been
somewhat actively engaged in local politics,
holding various offices at different times; he
served as councilman for sevei"al terms; was
president of the board of health for some years ;
and also held the office of borough treasurer.
In religion he is a member of the Presbyterian
Church.

Frank M. Altland married Miss Alice
Brunhouse, daughter of Frederick Brunhouse,
of York. They have two children: Daniel
and Katherine.

Mary J. Altland is the wife of M. H.
Stine, D. D., pastor of the Lutheran Church at
Altoona, Pa. They have two children, name-
ly : Charles, a professor in a Ladies' Seminary
at Luthersville, Md. ; and Walter, who is still
at school.

The members of this family are all good
citizens, public-spirited, and interested in mu-
nicipal affairs. They have been eminently suc-
cessful along business lines, are of sterling in-
tegrity and command the esteem and confidence
of all who know them.

ARCHIBALD HYSON is now making
his home on his farm in East Hopewell town-
ship, in the house in which he was born, Feb.
10, 1824, which house was built by his ma-
ternal grandfather in 1803.

Archibald Hyson, grandfather of our sub-
ject, was born in the North of Ireland, and
came to America prior to 1776. He settled
in Hopewell township close to what is now
Fenmore Station, where he entered a large
tract of land, which has since been divided in-
to many farms. He served in the Revolution-
ary war, and fought at the battle of Brandy-
wine, hearing General Washington make a
speech to his men on the banks of that river,
in which speech he said in part : "Be true to
your God, your country and your home."
Archibald Hyson mari-ied Catherine Ramsey,



of Ireland, and after the war settled down to
farming near Fenmore. He removed from
this farm about the year 18 10, selling out to
one Peter Saylor, and purchased a tract of
200 acres, two miles south of Cross Roads,
on a branch of Muddy Creek. He remained
there but six years, when he died. He was
one of the founders of the Associate Reformed
Church, and was a leading spirit in that
Church. He was a great reader, and all his
spare time was spent in this manner. Dr.
Hugh McDonald at that time had his office
in the room which our subject now uses for
a reading room, and grandfather Hyson, on
coming across a Latin or Greek word which
he could not translate, would walk to the
Doctor's house, a distance of about a mile,
and the learned Doctor would put it straight
for him. Archibald Hyson and his wife had
these children: Margaret, who married
(first) John Brown, and (second) William
McWherter, removed to Washington Co.,
Pa., and there died; Mary, who married John
Herr, died on what is now the Eckert place,
in East Hopewell township; John, who was
a farmer in East Hopewell township, married
Catherine Proudfoot, and died near Cross
Roads ; Catherine and Martha died single ; and
Robert.

Robert Hyson was born on the farm near
Fenmore, in 1774. He grew to manhood on
his father's second farm, received a good ed-
ucation for that day, and was a skilled penman.
He grew up a farmer boy, and followed farm-
ing all of his life, acquiring a part of his fath-
er's farm on the latter's death, and there he
continued to reside, engaged in agricultural
pursuits, until his death, in 1854. He was
very highly esteemed in the community for
his many sterling traits of character, and had
hosts of friends. He was a very religious
man, and a member of the Hopewell Associate
Reformed Church, which he attended regularly
all his hfe. Robert Hyson married, in 1819,
Miss Jane Bortner, born in Hopewell town-
ship in 1 79 1, daughter of John and Jane
(Gantz) Bortner, of Holland and German
blood. Mrs. Hyson died in 1882, and was
buried, with her husband, in the U. P. Church
at York. These children were born to Mr.
and Mrs. Hyson: John, who died in 1892, in
East Hopewell township, married Margaret
Miller; Archibald; and Robert R., who died
in March, 1903, in East Hopewell township,



230



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



married Elizabeth M. Grove, who still sur-
vives.

Archibald Hyson received his education at
Cross Roads and the Fulton school. From
boyhood he showed an inclination for con-
struction, and, after school hours, was often
found with hammer and nails; consequently,
when at the age of eighteen years he engaged
in carpentering, it was no surprise. He as-
sociated with Christian Leib, as apprentice,
and continued with him for some time, and
then went to Baltimore, where he finished his
trade in two years, part of which time he
worked for George W. Arnold, father of
Samuel Arnold, one of President Lincoln's
assassins. Mr. Hyson knew Samuel Arnold
as a self-willed boy.

Mr. Hyson returned to his native place
from Baltimore, and here he has since engaged
in carpentering, and, although eighty-two
years old, is still engaged in his work. In his
time he has erected and repaired nineteen
churches, scattered all over Harford and Bal-
timore counties, Md., and York and Juniata
cotmties, Pa., and he has also erected many
school houses, to say nothing of many resi-
dences and barns, some of them being the fin-
est in the section.

Mr. Hyson was married Feb. 21, 1856, to
Miss Martha J. Gemmell, born in Hopewell
township, in 1831, who died in 1874. Her
father was Robert Gemmell, at one time com-
missioner of York county, and her mother
Elizabeth Dorris, of Fawn township. In 1857
Mr. Hyson located on the home farm, and
there he has since resided. He built a mill on
the farm in 1854, and this and his farm are
operated by assistants. The farm consists of
100 acres of as fine land as is to be fovmd in
the county, and the tract, under Mr. Hyson's
management, is a model for order and state of
cultivation. Mr. Hyson's second marriage
occurred Dec. 21, 1877, to Ellen W. Collins,
daughter of John and Margarte I. (Wilson)
Collins.

Archibald Hyson has been a director of 'the
Shrewsbury National Bank, and has other
business interests. He united with the Hope-
well U. P. Church in 1843, and has continued
a member thereof ever since, having been a
trustee for twenty years, and elder since 1863.
He has also, for years, been actively interested
in the work of the Sabbath-school. In 1848
Mr. Hyson cast his first vote for Zachary Tay-



lor, and has missed but one presidential elec-
tion since, that being at the time of Lincoln's
first election, when Mr. Hyson was serving on
a jury and could not attend the polls. He has
been connected with the schools of Hopewell
and East Hopewell twonships for eighteen
years as director and treasurer, and during all
of this period has missed but one board meet-
ing, and has been late to but one. He has al-
ways taken an active interest in local history,
and has written numerous interesting articles
on the early history of his church and town-
ship. These articles have appeared, from time
to time, in the Christian Instructor, printed in
Philadelphia. In 1866, Mr. Hyson built the
Hopewell U. P. Church.

To Mr. Hyson and his first wife these chil-
dren were born : Robert Gemmell, died at
the age of two years; Ella E. I. married
John F. Maughlin, and lives in East Hopewell ;
John Beniah, who was a farmer in East Hope-
well township, and who died aged thirty-three
years, in 1894, married Maggie E. Neil, by
whom he had three children: Archie C, Rob-
ert J. and Nellie Belle. There have been no
children born to Mr. Hyson and his second
wife. Archibald Hyson is a temperate, do-
mestic, kind and gentle Christian gentleman,
and as such is loved and respected by all who
know him. He is truly one of York county's
representative men.

E. W. LOUCKS, director of the First
National Bank of York, is a son of Zachariah
K. Loucks, one of the organizers of that in-
stitution, in which he was a director from
1864 to 1875.

The annals of the Loucks family are very
interesting, historically. John George Loucks
came from Germany some time previous to
1780, and settled in the beautiful region of
Berks county, known as Tulpehocken, where
he purchased a large tract of land. About the
year 1780, hearing of the fertile lands west of
the Susquehanna, he removed to York county
to continue his chosen occupation of farming,
and purchased land southwest of York. On
May 13, 1805, he purchased the mill and farm,
where Z. K. Loucks afterward lived.

George Loucks, son of John George
Loucks, and grandfather of E. W. Loucks,
was born Aug. 18, 1787, and died Oct.
29, 1849. ^s followed the occupation of
miller and farmer at the Loucks homestead



4



BIOGRAPHICAL



231



and purchased a great deal of real estate, at
his death owning the mill property. He was
married to Susanna Welzhoffer, of Hellam
township, and had three sons and three daugh-
ters.

Zachariah K. Loucks, E. W. Loucks's
father, was born March 14, 1822, on the place
where he lived throughout his life. He re-
ceived his education in the York county Acad-
emy, under Rev. Stephen Boyer. For a num-
ber of years he was a classmate of Prof. Kirk-
wood, who afterward became the famous
astronomer and mathematician. He commenced
business in York first as a clerk, with the firm
of Schriver & Loucks, and afterward was a
clerk for Loucks & Becker, at the old Manor
Furnace in Chanceford township, where he
remained one year. He then entered the store
of Henry Becker in York, where he remained
until 1839, when he returned to his home in
Spring Garden township, and attended to the
duties of the grist mill and farm until his
father's death. After this event, he and his
brother, Henry J., succeeded their father in
business at the old homestead, where Zacha-
riah continued to reside, about one mile north
of York, along the Northern Central railroad.
Zachariah K. Loucks built a new and splendid
mansion on this site, and carried on his father's
milling and farming business with great suc-
cess. Here was erected one of the first grist-
mills west of the Susquehanna. The old two-
story mill, distillery and sawmill was destroyed
by fire, April 29, 1864, and the present com-
modious, five-story brick mill was built in the
fall of the same vear, at a cost of $30,000. It
contains the latest improvements of milling
machinery and has a capacity of 150 barrels of
flour in twenty-four hours. For many years
it was leased by P. A. & S. Small of York.

In connection with milling and farming
Zachariah K. Loucks engaged in other busi-
ness pursuits. At the time of the organization
of the First National Bank in York, in 1863,
he became a director. He was afterward
elected a vice-president, and in 1877 was
chosen president of that institution, which po-
sition he filled until his death, April 25, 1895.
He was a director and general financier of the
York and Peach Bottom railroad when it was
built ; for many years he was a member of the
board of directors of the York County Agri-
cultural Society, and a life member of same;
was president and one' of the projectors of the
York and Chanceford Turnpike Company;



was a director of the York City Market until
its completion, when he resigned ; was vice-
president of the Pennsylvania Mutual Horse
Insurance Company, of York ; and was largely
engaged in the real estate business.

Zachariah K. Loucks was married Jan. 5,
1843, to Sarah Ann Ebert, daughter of Col.
Michael Ebert of Spring Garden. She was
born March 18, 1822, and the children born
to this union were : Alexander, who married
Catherine Wambaugh, lives in Manchester
township ; George E. married Susan Jane My-
ers, and resides at Hellam Station; Edward
W. is unmarried, lives at home and manages
the estate; Z. K., the well known lawyer, grad-
uated with honors from Princeton; Isabella,
the only daughter, who married John W.
Koller, died at the age of twenty-seven years,
leaving two children; Wilham; and E. L.

Mr. Loucks, as a business man, had an
active and prosperous career, and having good
judgment, keen discrimination and excellent
financial and executive ability, was eminently
fitted for the successful prosecution of the real
estate business. Originally a Whig, he after-
ward became an ardent Republican.

E. W. Loucks was made a director of the
First National Bank of York in 1895, and in
addition to this responsibility is a director of
the Spring Garden Building & Loan Asso-
ciation and Spring Garden Fire Insurance
Company, a director of the Rockdale Powder
Company, and Rockdale Railroad Co., and has
large landed interests at Loucks's Mill, the fam-
ily seat where he makes his home, as has the
Loucks family since 1805. Mr. Loucks con-
ducts a real estate business in York, where he
has an office. He is superintending his father's
estate which has not as yet been divided. For
fifteen years he has been a deacon in Zion's
Lutheran Church. Mr. Loucks is justly rated
as one of the most active, intelligent and enter-
prising business men of York, and the mantle
of his father could not have fallen upon more
worthy shoulders.

EMILE BOILEAU. The honorable dis-
tinction of having woven the first yard of broad
silk ever made in York county, and of starting
the first silk loom in York city, in December,
1878, belongs to an adopted citizen of our
countr}-, Emile Boileau, who was born and
reared iii France.

Nicholas Boileau, father of Emile, married
Amelia Febvay, and the first period of their



232



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



married life was passed in their native France.
They had eight children^ namely: Emile;
Charles, engaged in trucking in Pike county,
Pa. ; Jules, a mail carrier there ; Camille, an
electrician in New York; Leon, a trucker in
Pike county; Joseph, a hotel steward in New
York; Marie, the widow of Joseph Craig; and
Justine, who married the late Capt. Joseph
Valentine. In 1877 Nicholas Boileau and his
family emigrated to America, and, settling in
Pike county. Pa., engaged there in truckings.

Emile Boileau ^^as born in the Commune
-of Fresse, France, May 6, i860, and was
seventeen years old when he accompanied his
parents to this country. He had attended school
in France and continued his studies in Pike
■county. On completing his education he en-
tered the employ of Luchneyer & Schaffer, silk
manufacturers at Union Hill., N. J., with
whom he remained nine years, first as a weaver
and for the last three years as a loom fixer.
When he left that firm, Mr. Boileau went to
Paterson, N. J., as a loom fixer, and after four
years there was employed in the same capacity
by the Paragon Silk Company and Grimshaw
Brothers. In 1.896 he became foreman of the
Fleetwood mills and two years later took a
similar position with the York Silk Manufac-
turing Company, where he is still engaged.
He is foreman of a weaving department, and
has over 200 employees under him. He is ex-
ceedingly competent, and his employers have
the utmost reliance upon his ability and judg-
ment.

In 1885 Mr. Boileau was united to Marie,
-daughter of Nicholas and Magdalen (Jaril-
lat) Mallet, of Lyons, France. Another
daughter, Janne, is the wife of John Anbonnet
•of that same city. Mr. and Mrs. Boileau are
the parents of two children, Paul and Amelia.

Since becoming a citizen of the United
States, Mr. Boileau has been identified with the
Democratic party, and has been much inter-
■ested in political issues. In May, 1902, he was
elected justice of the peace for Spring Garden
township for a term of five years, and is filling
the position with great credit to himself and
satisfaction to his constituents. In fraternal
circles he is prominent, and is connected with a
number of orders. He is P. N. G. of Jackson
Lodge, No. 150, I. O. O. F., in Union Hill.
N. T- ; a member of Unamis Tribe, No. 330,
I. O. R. M., of Reading; of Chandler Lodge,
Ko. 227, F. & A. M., of Reading; and of



Codorus Council, D. of P., in York. Since
residing in York, Mr. Boileau has taken an
active interest in the work of the Emanuel
Evangelical Church, and as elder and assis-
tant superintendent of the Sunday-school has
done much to build up the organization.

SANFORD BRAINERD GLEASON,
late of- York, was a native of New England,
born July 29, 1833, in North Adams, Mass.,
and he served as heutenant with the 49th
Massachusetts Volunteers, Col. Bartlett com-
manding, in the Civil war. He was wounded
at Baton Rouge, La., and was carried from the
field by his captain (later colonel) Byron West-
on, of Boston, now of Dalton, Mass. He was
honorably discharged May 9, 1863.

Mr. Gleason made York his home for a
number of years prior to his decease, coming
hither March 9, 1879, and in company with
A. B. Farcjuhar purchasing the lands of



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 44 of 201)