Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 45 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 45 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Michael Smyser, then farming property. Here
Mr. Gleason designed .and laid out what is
now known as Farquhar Park, naming it after
his partner. They carried on an extensive
real-estate business in York, and were very
prominently identified with that line. Farquhar
Park is one of the pleasantest places in York
county. Mr. Gleason was also connected here
with the Corliss Safe Manufacturing Company,
of Providence, R. I., from the time of its
organization. His death occurred June 9,
1890, and he was buried in Prospect Hill
cemetery, the funeral services being conducted
by Rev. J. O. Miller, of Trinity Reformed
Church.

It will be noticed that the number "9"
played a peculiarly important part in Mr.
Gleason's life — born on the 29th day of the
month, enlisted in the 49th regiment, on the
29th of October, discharged on the 9th day of
Ma}', located in York March 9, 1879, and
died June 9, 1890.

Mr. Gleason was married to Mrs. Matilda
(Myers) Spangler, widow of Michael Spang-
ler, and daughter of John and Eleanor (Hum-
mer) Myers, a complete history of which fam-
ily will be found elsewhere. Mrs. Gleason
survives her husband and resides in the Ex-
press building, on Beaver street. York city.

Leo Myers, brother of Mrs. Gleason. was
born in York in 1840 and received his educa-
tion there, developing unusual abilit3^ He
read law with Mr. Cochran, was admitted



BIOGRAPHICAL



233



to the York County Bar, and for many years
engaged in successful practice in York, first in
company with Lawyer Mayer, and later as
a member of the firm of Ziegler & Myers. He
died in 1884, after a brilliant career, and is
buried near Pittsburg.

THE WEISER FAMILY. On a proc-
lamation of Queen Anne, of England, in 1708,
owing to internal dissensions in Germany,
about four thousand Germans were transported
to Holland in 1709, and thence to England.
They encamped near London, when, in the
following year. Gov. Robert Hunter, of New
York, who was then in England and about to
sail for his own country, invited . with him
about three thousand of these Germans or
Palatines to what is now the State of New
York, and they were soon afterward located
on what was called the Livingston manor, and
turned their attention to agriculture. A chief
of the Mohawk Indians, who had about this
time visited England, presented Queen Anne
a tract of his land in Schoharie, N. Y., and in
1 71 3 about one hundred and fifty families
were transferred through the wilderness to
that place. Among these emigrants was the
father of Conrad Weiser, with his wife and
seven sons and daughters. He is the great
ancestor of the Weiser family in this country.
His Christian name is not for a certainty
known. From one of his sons the Weisers
of York are descended. The colony at Scho-
harie did not prosper. They commenced
building houses and improving lands, and la-
bored until 1723, when they wei"e partly dis-
persed, owing to defects in their titles to lands.
They then began to search for new homes,
and began wending their course in a south-
easterly direction, until they struck the Sus-
quehanna. Here they made canoes, in which
they floated down the river to the mouth of
the Swatara, and thence to the fertile spot in
Berks county, along the Tulpehocken creek,
where they settled among the Indians. The
father of Conrad Weiser remained at Scho-
harie until 1729, when, with his wife and four
children, all that were then living, he also
■came to the Tulpehocken. It was his design
to devote all his attention to farming. But
•on many noted occasions his services as an
interpreter were demanded by the authorities
■of Pennsylvania. He was a man of great
benevolence. It was through him the Mo-
ravian people were made so attentive to In-



dian natives. He died and was buried in
Berks county. .

Conrad Weiser, his eldest son, was a justice
under the King, and the celebrated Indian inter-
preter and head of the Indian Bureau of Penn-
sylvania. As a boy he had been sent to live
with the Indians, and with them learned their
language, thus laying the foundation for his
future usefulness. In 1736 he was sent to
treat with the Six Nations in New York, con-
cerning a war that was to break out between
them and the Indians of Virginia, and his
policy accomplished much in averting the
threatened rupture. He was visited, Aug. 14,
1752, by Count Zingendorff, at Tulpehocken,
who here met a numerous embassy of sachems
of the Six Nations. The Count preached the
Gospel to the Indians. At the conclusion of
his remarks to them he said of Weiser : "This
is a man whom God has sent both to the In-
dians and to the white people, to make known
His will unto them." For a quarter of a cen-
tury he attended all the important treaties. In
connection with the governor of Pennsylvania,
Benjamin Franklin and several other persons,
in 1752, he was appointed one of the trustees
of the public schools, which were established
through the efforts of Rev. Michael Schlatter;
one of these schools was, about this year,
started in York. During the French and In-
dian war he was lieutenant-colonel of a bat-
talion of Pennsylvania soldiers. After an
eventful and very useful life he died among
his friends at Womelsdorf, Berks county, July
13, 1760, at the age of sixty- four. His re-
mains were interred and still rest in the old
graveyard near the house, which is still stand-
ing. He left seven children, to whom, by mar-
riage, the Muhlenbergs are related.

Samuel Weiser, a descendant of the Tul-
pehocken settlement, came to York in 1780,
and immediately commenced the business of
a hatter in a building on the present site of
Jacob Wilt's jewelry store, on East Market
street. He continued this business until 1822,
but opened a dry goods store in 1808, on the
corner still occupied by his descendants. Dur-
ing the war of 1812 he employed about fifty
workmen making hats, and sent wagonloads
of them every Monday morning to Baltimore.
He died in 1834, aged seventy-four years, and
his remains were interred in the graveyard ad-
joining Christ's Lutheran Church. They have
since been removed to Prospect Hill cemetery.
He was married to Eve Phfleager, and they



234



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



had eight children : Samuel, Jacob, Charles,
Daniel, Catherine, Eliza, Margaret and Cas-
sandra.

Samuel Weiser, the eldest son, succeeded
his father in the manufacturing of hats until
1840, when he bought a farm one-half mile
south of York, and died there in 1856. Augus-
tus, his eldest son, died on the farm ; Albert is
living in Preston, Minn., engaged in the jew-
elry and drug business; Aemilius is located
in Decorah, Iowa, in the drug business ; Louisa
married John Ensminger, and is now deceased ;
Alexander died unmarried; Catherine married
John C. Rupert; Margaret married Josiah
Poorbaugh, of Berlin, Somerset Co., Pa. ;
Annie married David Ziegler, of York ; Flor-
ence, deceased, was married to Martin Bender,
of York ; Miss Helen is living in York.

Jacob Weiser, second son of Samuel
Weiser, Sr., went into the dry goods business
in 1818, with his brother Charles, continuing
same until 1836, when he engaged in the lum-
ber trade with his brother Daniel P. Weiser.
He was director in the York County Bank,
York Water Company, and York & Susque-
hanna Turnpike Company, each for many
years. He died in 1874, at the advanced age
of about eighty-three years. He left two chil-
dren : Franklin S., who succeeded him in
the lumber business, and Jane, married first
to Jacob Smyser (deceased) and now to Na-
thaniel Weigle.

Daniel Weiser, fourth son of Samuel
Weiser, Sr., was a tanner and currier for
many years, and afterward formed a partner-
ship with his brother Jacob in the lumber
business. He died about 1855, leaving three
sons: Gates J. Weiser (lately deceased), Da-
vid Weiser and Oliver P. Weiser.

Charles Weiser, son of Samuel, Sr., and
father of John A. and Charles S. Weiser, who
are prominently identified with the business
interests of York, was born in 1796, and was
the junior member of the dry goods firm of
J. & C. Weiser, commencing business in 181 8,
and continuing until 1846. In 1856 he founded
the banking house in his own name. In Jan-
uary, i860, his son, Charles S. Weiser, be-
came a member of the firm. In January, 1867,
was formed the firm of Weiser, Son & Carl,
which has since merged into the York County
National Bank. For a number of years Charles
Weiser was a director in the York Bank, and
president of the York & Gettysburg and York
& Susquehanna Turnpike Companies. He was



a member of Christ's Lutheran Church under
Dr. Schmucker, and one of the founders of
St. Paul's Lutheran Church. He died in 1867,
aged seventy-one years. He lived for twenty-
five years on the property now owned by Jere
Carl, Esq. He was married to Anna A., daugh-
ter of Gen. Jacob Spangler, and left nine
children out of the family of ten born to them :
John A., Erastus H., Horace S., Charles S.,
George (who died in infancy), Josephine
(married to Dr. Pentz), Theodosia E. (un-
married), Arabella (now deceased), Amelia
(married to M. S. Green), Adaline (married
to Jere Carl).

John A. Weiser, eldest son of Charles
Weiser, was born July 31, 1824. He received
his education in York County Academy. He
began his mercantile career in 1838 as a clerk
in his father's store, and remained in the same
position until 1846, when he succeeded his
father in the business. This he continued until
1883, when his two- eldest sons succeeded him.
This store, in the same location, was continued
in the Weiser name from its organization in
1808 until H. P. Weiser & Bro. discontinued
the dry goods business. Mr. Weiser had been
exceptionally prosperous as a merchant, and
his name was familiarly known in York coun-
ty. Possessing rare business qualifications,
John A. Weiser was prominently connected
with other interests in the' town and county,,
being one of the founders and directors of the
Farmers National Bank, and for many years a
director of the York County Bank. He was
president of the York & Gettysburg Turnpike
Company from 1881 ; treasurer of the York
Gas Company from 1850; manager and treas-
urer of the York & Susquehanna Turnpike
Company from 1867. He was married (first)
to Miss Georgiana Eichelberger (now de-
ceased) in 1851, and of this marriage there
was one son, Harry P., born in 1852, formerly
senior member of the mercantile firm of H.
P. Weiser & Bro. In 1859 he was married
(second) to Miss Mary Jane Upp, and the
children by this marriage are : Bertha, born
in i860; George U., in 1861 ; Sterrett P., in
1864; Louisa, in 1865; and Annie S., in 1867.
Mr. Weiser resided in his delightfully situated
home at No. 218 East Market street, sur-
rounded by all the comforts and conveniences
of life.

Erastus H. Weiser, second son of Charles
Weiser, was bom in 1826. He received his
preparatory education at York County Acad-



BIOGRAPHICAL



235



emy and Pennsylvania College, at Gettys-
burg. He afterward entered Yale College, and
graduated in the class of 1849; read law with
John G. Campbell, Esq., and had a lucrative
practice in this profession before the York
Courts until the time of his death, in 1872. He
was married in 1852 to Miss Annie Frank-
lin, daughter of Walter Franklin, Esq., of
York, who is now also dead. They had two
sons, William F. and Charles, the latter a
graduate of. Yale Law School, class of 1893,
and now an attorney in New York City. Mr.
Weiser was an earnest and devoted Christian,
an elder in the Presbyterian Church at York,
and a teacher in the Sunday-school.

Horace S. Weiser, son of Charles, was edu-
cated at Yale, and read law with Judge Fisher.
He practiced at the York Bar for a few years,
then removed to Decorah, Iowa, and founded
the Winneshiek County Bank in 1854, con-
ducting the same successfully until the time
of his death, in 1875. He married Miss Louisa
Amy, of Ohio, and their children were :
Charles J., now a prosperous banker of De-
corah, Iowa ; Amy, who married Edward Car-
lisle, of Chicago, 111. ; and Anna, Mrs. Jones,
of Fargo, North Dakota.

Charles S. Weiser, son of Charles, was
born in 1838, and educated in the schools of
York and in York County Academy. He be-
gan the banking business as a partner with his
father in i860, and continued the senior mem-
ber of the firm of Weiser, Son & Carl until the
banking house was discontinued. For several
years he was a member of the firm of Weiser
& Bender, engaged in the lumber business in
Center county, Pa. The following positions
of trust and honor held by him give conclu-
sive evidence of his business capacity and in-
tegrity : Treasurer of the York Water Com-
pany, of the York County Academy, of the
York Hospital and Dispensary, of the So-
ciety for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals,
of the York County Mutual Fire Insurance
Company, of the Board of Home Missions of
the General Synod of the Evangelical Luther-
an Church in the United States, of the Theo-
logical' Seminary at Gettysburg, of the Charles
A. Morris fund of $7,000 for St. Paul's Luth-
eran Church, and vice-president of the Orphan's
Home and director in the York & Susquehanna
Turnpike Company. Mr. Weiser was married,
in 1866, to Miss Isadora Brown, daughter of
the late William Brown. Esq.. of York, and
they had one child, Charles, who died in in-



fancy. Fraternally Mr. Weiser is a Mason.
He and his wife are members of the St. Paul's
Lutheran Church, and they reside in a comfort-
able and convenient home at No. 257 East
Market street, York.

William F. Weiser, at the time of his death
a retired business man of York, and who was
for a number of years prominently identified
with the banking interests of that city, was a
native of York count}-, a son of Erastus H.
Weiser. He attended the graded schools of
York and Harford, and entered the bank of
Weiser, Son & Carl, in 1872. There he re-
mained until 1889, when he left active busi-
ness life, thereafter living retired. In politics
Mr. Weiser was neutral, having never taken
an active interest in such matters, and cast-
ing his vote rather for the man than for the
party. He made his home at No. 136 East
Market street, York, where he died suddenly
in the evening of April i, 1906, in his fifty-
third year. His illness was of only a few min-
utes' duration, heart disease being the cause.

Mr. Weiser was well versed in the history
of York county and the State of Pennsylvania,
was a member of the Pennsylvania German
Society, the Lafayette Club and the Country
Club, and was prominently identified with the
First Presbyterian Church and the York
Young Men's Christian Association. He was
a great traveler, having been to every section
of the United States, toured Europe and vis-
ited Alaska. He was unmarried.

PHILIP J. BARNHART, one of the
most prominent citizens of West Manheim
township, and a man well-known throughout
York county, died April 6, 1905, at his home
near Hell's Mill, in West Manheim township.
Mr. Barnhart was born in Heidelberg town-
ship, this county, June 8, 1846, son of Adam
and Eliza Barnhart.

Philip J. Barnhart was reared on his fath-
er's farm, receiving his education in the pub-
lic schools of his native township. He came
to West Manheim township in 1864, settling
near the place where he resided until his death,
and there he became one of the foremost busi-
ness men of the vicinity. In 1869 he engaged
in a general merchandise business, continuing
therein for eight years, at the end of which
time he engaged in farming, and as a general
collector and business agent. In politics he
was a Democrat, and he served his party as



■236



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



•committeeman and delegate, the former
through fifteen j^ears, and the latter at thir-
teen conventions of the county, and several
State conventions. In 1896 he was mentioned
as a delegate to the National Convention, but
declined in favor of his friend, H. N. Gitt, of
this place. In 1868 he was elected township
auditor, was appointed deputy collector of In-
ternal Revenue in 1894, and in 1898 was nom-
inated and elected to the office of register of
rieeds of York county. Mr. Barnhart was
very prominently connected with the business
interests of his township, was a director of
the Hanover Milling & Manufacturing Co.,
and a director of the Hanover Foundry & Ma-
chine Co. He was, at the time of his death, the
adjuster of the Farmers' Mutual Fire Insur-
ance Company, and was one of the stock-
liolders, and vice president of the board of di-
rectors of the Hanover Printing Company. Mr.
Barnhart was a self-made man, one of keen
judgment, and of tireless energy. In his death
York county has lost a public-spirited citizen,
an enterprising and successful business man,
and a true Christian gentleman.

Philip J. Barnhart was married in 1865 to
Miss Barbara Kalebaugh, of West Manheim
township, who survives him, as do his two
sons and two daughters : Lyman A., a farm-
er in West Manheim township, who married
Elma Meckley, of Blooming Grove, and has
six children; Philip C., of West Manheim
township; Mollie, who married John D. Dubsj
and has had three children, Osebar, John and
Ella, the last named deceased; and Missouri,
who married Henry W. Baumgardner, of
West Manheim township, and has two chil-
dren, Addie and Hattie. Mr. Barnhart was
buried at St. Paul's (Dubs) Church, the Rev.
J. H. Hartman conducting the services.

Philip C. Barnhart was born Dec. 9,
1 88 1, in West Manheim township, and there
received his education in the public schools,
assisting his father, during the summer
months, at farming. He now resides with
his mother at the old home in West Manheim
township. He is single. Mr. Barnhart is a
great lover of sports, and was one of ■ the
pitchers on the strong Hanover Base Ball Club
for two years. He is an amateur photographer
•of some repute, and is a great hunter.

I

COOPER, fl) John Cooper, the progenitor
of the Cooper family in York county, was born



in Kendal, in the County of Westmoreland,
England, in 1689. He was the son of a linen
draper, and came to America in 1720, landing
at New Castle, Del. He settled at Peach Bot-
tom township on a tract of land called "Elisha's
Lot," containing fifty acres, purchased of
Elisha Perkins, who resided at what is now
Lapidum, Harford Co., Md. It was granted
by patent from Lord Baltimore to Mr. Perkins
Dec. 19, 1 71 9, and is described as being in
Baltimore county, Maryland. Much of the
land in this vicinity, although now in Penn-
sylvania, was held under Maryland title, be-
ing in the territory which occasioned the dis-
pute between Penn and Lord Baltimore. The
deed from Perk'ns to Cooper is dated Jan.
29, 1 72 1. They were both of Baltimore coun-
ty. The consideration named is eighteen
pounds of silver money and a gun; the occu-
pation of John Cooper is given as that of a
"weaver." On May 20, 1724, he obtained a
patent from Lord Baltimore for a tract of
land lying contiguous to the above called
"Deserts of Arabia." Another tract of 250
acres was laid off for him Sept. 7, 1724, called
"Cooper's Addition," and later he acquired
"Cuhins Park," and also held land under Penn-
sylvania title. Much of this land is still in the
possession of his descendants. At that early
date Mr. Cooper was in the midst of the pri-
meval forest, and his stock roamed at will,
making it necessary to mark and brand same.
He recorded under date of July 30, 1730, his
two ear marks and brand as follows : "John
Cooper his mark for cattle and hogs, vgt. : a
poplar leaf and a slitt in the left ear and swal-
low forke in the right;" "Jno. Cooper, his
mark, for cattle and hogs, vgt. : a crop and an
under keal in each ear;" "John Cooper, his
brand, vgt. : two round O's ; and a flower du-
luce." In order to aid in clearing the land Mr.
Cooper leased, in December, 1729, for twenty
years, fifty acres to Godfrey Hatfield and fifty
acres to Abraham Each, on condition that they
"shall plant and set out 100 apple trees on the
place and to clear the land good. The first
year the making a pair of horse traces, and the
2d the making of a plow, and then a barrel of
Indian corn for each year."

John Cooper was married Oct. 23, 1722, to
Alice Gill, who was, no doubt, the daughter of
Stephen and Elizabeth Gill, who resided at or
near where Baltimore city now stands. Trad-
ition states that John Cooper, their son, was



BIOGRAPHICAL



237



the first male white child born in York county.
John Cooper died in 1759. His will is dated
Oct. I, 1759, and probated in Baltimore coun-
ty, Nov. 18, 1759. It is witnessed by John
Forwood, Thomas Hambleton and James
Brice. The following were the children of
John and Alice Cooper : Priscilla, born Oct.

7, 1724, died Dec. 29, 1724; Ahce, born July

8, 1726, died young; John, born Nov. 29, 1728,
married Hannah Wheeler; Thomas, born
March 23, 1731, married Mary Abercrombie;
Stephen, born May 13, 1733, married Susanna
Morgan ; Nicholas married Sarah Gill ; Alex-
ander married Mary Whiteford; Agnes, born
in 1736, was the wife of John Boyd, son of
Samuel Boyd; who settled in Lancaster,
Pa. ; Elizabeth married William Rowan, re-
moved to Kentucky in 1783, and was the
mother of John Rowan. John Rowan was
born in Pennsylvania in 1773, and was ad-
mitted to the Bar in 1795. In 1799 he was a
member of the State Constitutional Conven-
tion, and was. Secretary of State in 1804; Mem-
ber of Congress in 1807-09; member of the
Legislature for several terms ; Judge of the
Court of Appeals; and United States Senator
in 1825-31. A county in Kentucky and also
one in North Carolina bears his name.

(II) Thomas Cooper, son of John and
Alice, was born at the old homestead in Peach
Bottom township, where he became a success-
ful farmer, the home farm having descended to
him by the will of his father. There in 1774
he built a large stone dwelling. He married
Mary Abercrombie, daughter of James and
Rebecca (Colgan) Abercrombie, who came
from Scotland. Thomas Cooper died Sept.
18, 1798, leaving four children, two others hav-
ing died in infancy, (i) Armfield, born in
1768, married Robert Morgan, the son of
David and Lydia Morgan, and resided in Har-
ford county, Maryland. (2) Alice, May 22,
1770, married John Grubb, son of Thomas
Grubb. of Lancaster county. Pa. Mr. Grubb
was commissioned captain of Lancaster coun-
ty militia. Oct. 27, 1792; Sept. 11, 1794, as
captain of 2d regular brigade: and major of
the State Militia in December, 1798. In the
fall of 1794 he was ordered to Presque Isle.
Lake Erie ; there he remained until the fall of
1798. when he returned to his old home and
married Miss Cooper. In the spring of 1799.
they returned to the land he had selected ne^r
the town of Erie, and made it their future



home. He was a justice of the peace from
1797 to 1815, and Associate Judge from 1820
to 1841. (3) Duckett, born Aug. 15, 1775,
married William Stump, son of Rachel and
Henry (Perkins) Stump, of Harford county.
They lived near Darlington. (4) Stephen is
mentioned below.

(III) Stephen Thomas was born Aug. 29,
1777. His early education was supplemented
with a course in Dickinson College at Carlisle.
At the death of his father he became the pro-
prietor of the old homestead and engaged in
farming. In 1800 fire destroyed the mansion
house which he restored, only to be again
burned in 1900, when owned by his son, Levi.
Stephen T. Cooper married in 1814, Kezia
Beall, daughter of Zephaniah and Margaret
(Crawford) Beall, of Washington county. Pa.,
and they were the parents of ten children:
Zephaniah B. died in childhood ; Levi died un-
married, Jan. II, 1904, aged eighty-four years,
nine months, sixteen days; Zephaniah B. (2)
died unmarried, Dec. 20, 1854, aged thirty-one
years, seven months, and twenty-seven days ;
Thomas J. married Sarah Bowne, and died
Nov. 17, 1901, aged seventy-seven; Achsah B.
died in infancy ; Henry, married Martha Ayers,
of Jarrettsville, Md. ; Stephen Parker, died un-
married, Sept. 15, 1885; Margaret K. resides
at the old homestead; Evan B. married Mary
Jane Woodroe, now living at Mankato, Minn. ;
Mary E. lives with her sister at the homestead.

(IV) Thomas J. Cooper was born June
I, 1825, on the old homestead in Peach Bot-
tom township. He completed a common school
education at the age of twenty-one years, and
then learned the carpenter's trade. He con-
tinued at that for about a year before going to
New York to learn ship carpentry, but after



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 45 of 201)