Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 46 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 46 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


about eight years at the latter occupation, he
returned to York county, built a house a mile
west of the old home, and settled down to farm-
ing for the rest of his life. At the age of
thirty he was married in New York to ISIiss
Sarah Bowne, daughter of William and Mary
(Bowne) Bowne, of Monmouth county, N. J.
Mr. Cooper returned to Pennsylvania immedi-
ately after his marriage. The children born
to this union were as follows : W. Spencer,
residing on the homestead; Ida, who died in
infancy: Nelson B. ; Mamie K., Mrs. William
S. Dinsmore; Sidney; Emma, twin sister of
Sidney, who died aged twenty; John E.. of
Parkersburg, W. Va. ; Carrie, Mrs. William



238



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Henry; one that died in infancy, unnamed;
and Charles, who married Mrs. Margaret
(Bennington) Evans.

(V) Nelson B. Cooper was born in the
house built by his father on the old homestead,
Sept. 17, 1858. Until he was seventeen he
was sent to the Mt. Joy school house, and after
completing his education learned the black-
smith's trade, which he has followed ever
since. In December, 1876, he was married to
Miss Deborah E. Stewart, daughter of John
and Jane (Huff) Stewart, of Peach Bottom
township, and they became the parents of
three children : ( i ) Thorle F. is a blacksmith
working with his father. (2) Scott R. mar-
ried Miss Martha A. Craig, daughter of Henry
and Elizabeth (Myers) Craig, and has two
children, Alice G. and Edith. He is engaged
in farming in Peach Bottom township. (3)
Walton R. is also a farmer. Nelson B. Cooper
is a member of the I. O. O. F. Though a
life long Republican, he has never been active
in practical politics.

(V) Sidney Cooper was born on the old
Cooper homestead March 29, 1862, and at-
tended school until he was fifteen. The fol-
lowing three years he worked on his father's
farm, and then spent two more traveling
through the adjacent part of the country with
no special occupation. Returning home he was
employed by his uncle Levi on the farm until
1884, when he began farming for himself on
his present homestead in Harford county, Md.
He was married Jan. 18, 1884, to Miss Mary
M. Stewart, a sister of Mrs. Nelson B. Cooper.
To their union ten children have been born,
namely: Emma, Ethel, Chester and Levi, all
at home; John, who died in childhood; an in-
fant who died unnamed; Mercy, who died in
childhood; Vaughn; Stephen and Jason. _ Mr.
Cooper takes no interest in politics, and is not
actively allied with any party.

Margaret K. Cooper, with her sister,
Miss Mary E. Cooper, lives on the old home-
stead, a place of 400 acres, situated on the Sus-
quehanna river, and well-improved. On a part
of this farm is the family cemetery in which
John Cooper and. his wife are buried, as well
as their descendants. The grave of their
daughter, Priscilla, is the oldest one, and the
stone marking it bears the date, Dec. 29, 1724.
The Misses Cooper are consistent members of
the Slateville Presbyterian Church, and very
well known and highly esteemed in the com-
munity.



EMANUEL J. WEISER, of York town-
ship, where he owns property and where he
devotes his attention principally to market-
gardening and fruit-growing, finding a ready
demand for his excellent products in the city
of York, from which his home is four miles
distant, is a representative of the fourth gen-
eration of his family in York county, the orig-
inal progenitor in the county, and in this coun-
try, having been his great-grandfather, who
was of German extraction, but who had been
a resident of Scotland up to the time of his
emigration to the United States (in the latter
part of the eighteenth century). He came to
York county, Pa., and there took up about five
hundred acres of wild land, in Spring Garden
and York townships, passing the remainder of
his life in this county.

John K. Weiser, grandfather of Emanuel
J., was born and reared in Spring Garden
township, this county, and in his youth learned
the hatter's trade, which he followed for a num-
ber of years, while finally he purchased the
farm now owned by our subject, continuing
his residence here a few years and being inci-
dentally engaged in the huckstering business.
He then took up his residence in the city of
York, where he established a notion store, and
where he passed the remainder of his life, his
death occurring in 1873, while his remains rest
in the beautiful Prospect Hill cemetery, at
York, as do also those of both his first and sec-
ond wives. The maiden name of his first wife
was Elizabeth Crosby; she died in 1863, and
was buried in Hindle's Union cemetery, North
Codorus township. He married (second) Mrs.
Joahanna Reikerd, whose death occurred in
1875. His childrai were: Benjamin C, a
carpenter by trade and vocation, died in Spring
Garden township ; John C. ; Alexander is a res-
ident and business man of York; Charles
C, of North Codorus township, died Feb.

I, 1906, aged sixty-nine years, nine months
and nine days, and was buried at New Salem ;
Emanuel C, enlisted in the army, took
sick in New Mexico and died aged twenty-two
years, and was buried by the Government ; the
next two children died in jnfancy; Granville,
a baker by trade, is a resident of York; and
Mary is the wife of Adam Sager, a resident
of Brillharts Station.

John C. Weiser, son of John K., died Dec.

II, 1901, at the age of seventy years, six
months and fourteen days, while his- devoted
wife, Leah J., passed away Sept. 25, 1896, at



BIOGRAPHICAL



239



the age of sixty-five years, three months and
twelve days, both being interred in Prospect
Hill cemetery. They were both members of
Christ Church (Lutheran), in York.

Of the children of John C. and Leah J.
Weiser William H., who married Miss Sarah
Landis, is a resident of York township, where
he is engaged in the trucking business ; Charles
F., who was a blacksmith by trade, married
Miss Leah Levenight, died in York township
and is buried in the cemetery of Green Hill
church; Miss Emma C. E. resides with her
brother Emanuel J., who was the next in order
of birth; and Carrie E. first married Nelson
Shepp, and after his death became the wife of
William Smith, their home being in the city
of York.

Emanuel J. Weiser was born at the family
home, on Queen street, York, Jan. 17, 1861,
and he has passed his life thus far in his native
county. He duly availed himself of the advant-
ag'es of the public schools, continuing his
studies at intervals until he had attained his
legal majority, while in the meantime he as-
sisted his father in his business affairs and la-
bors, and also worked out by the day to a great-
er or less extent. Upon the death of his father
he fell heir to the old home place, which com-
prises fifteen acres, and here he has since been
actively engaged in the nursery and market-
gardening business, raising the highest grade
of products and having built up a most profit-
able enterprise, with York as his principal
market. He has also given special attention
to the growing of small fruits, and in the line
of grape culture has gained a high reputation,
having specially fine varieties and understand-
ing so thoroughly the proper care of his vines
that he secures large yields of most superior
grapes, while he has gained on the same many
premiums at the York county annual fairs.
Mr. W^eiser is held in high regard in the com-
munity, and is known as a public-spirited cit-
izen, while his political allegiance is given to
the Republican party, in whose cause he takes
a lively interest. He is a member of Christ
Church (Lutheran), in the city of York, and
his wife belonged to the First Reformed
Church. '

On Aug. 3, 1893, ^vas solemnized the mar-
riage of Mr. Weiser to Miss Thirza M. King,
who was born and reared in York county,
daughter of Henry and Martha (Daw) King.
She died in November, 1898, aged thirty years.



They had three children, the eldest of whom,
Martha, died in September, 1894, aged twenty-
one days ; the second died in infancy unnamed ;
John Henry died in August, 1898, aged ten
months.

CHARLES FREDERIC LAFEAN, pres-
ident of the Lafean Paper Company, and
brother of Hon. D. F. Lafean, was born in
York Dec. 12, 1862. He was educated in the
public schools, and his first employment was
in the coal yard of his father, Charles Fred-
erick Lafean, which was located where the
Lafean paper mill now stands. After leaving
there Mr. Lafean spent one year in a grist
mill, and then found employment with P.
C. Wiest, the manufacturing confectioner, now
retired, for whom he worked two and a half
years. Mr. Lafean's next venture was in Bal-
timore, where he engaged in the grocery and
provision business, remaining eight months
and then returning to York, again finding em-
ployment with P. C. Wiest in the confection-
ery business. Within a few days after ob-
taining employment for the second time with
Mr. Wiest Mr. Lafean purchased the business
from the latter, and associated with him his
brother, G. Jacob Lafean, as partner. On the
foot of his father's coal yard property, to which
other property had been added, Mr. Lafean
established in 1889 a candy factory, but his
brothers sold their interests to him, and in
1899 Charles F. established the Lafean Paper
Company on the site of the old candy works.
It was incorporated May 27, 1903, and was
capitalized at $50,000. Of this Charles F.
Lafean was made president; his brother, G.
Jacob Lafean, secretary and treasurer; and an-
other brother, John R. Lafean, a director. The
annual output is 2,500 tons, and the product
finds a market all over the United States, Can-
ada and South America.

Mr. Lafean was married June 11, 1885, to
Kate Allison, daughter of A. K. Allison, of
York, and one child has been bom to this
union, Carl Luther, Oct. 7, 1890. Mr. Lafean
belongs to Christ Lutheran Church, and in
politics is an uncompromising Republican. He
was born and reared in the Fourth ward of
York, where he has always taken an active part
in politics, having repeatedly been elected to
county conventions, and received other marks
of confidence from the Republicans of his dis-
trict. Untiring in his industry, straightfor-



240



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



ward in all his dealings and possessed of in-
telligent judg-ment in all matters, Mr. Lafean
may be said to be only at the beginning of a
most successful career, for he is just in the
prime of manhood.

HENRY GABLE, who is now living re-
tired in the city of York, was for many years
prior to his removal thither a prosperous
farmer of Codorus township, this county, and
he was held in such high esteem among his
neighbors and fellows citizens there that the
community regarded his change of residence
as a distinct loss. He is a veteran of the
Civil war, and his patriotism and public
spirit have added to the respect which a life
of integrity and right living has won for him
wherever he is known.

Mr. Gable was born June 17, 1839, in
North Codorus township, son of John Henry
and Annie Gertrude (Jacobs) Gable, both of
whom were natives of Germany. John Henry
Gable was born June 16, 1795, and his wife
was born Nov. 5, 1800. They were reared
and married in their native land, where several
of their children were born, and in 1835 came
to the United States, landing at Baltimore.
They did not remain there long, however,
coming to York county, Pa., and settling in
North Codorus township, where they passed
the remainder of their lives. Mr. Gable was
an industrious and upright man and was well
respected by all as a good citizen — in fact he
became quite prominent in his township. He
assisted in making the tunnel on the North-
ern Central railroad in North Codorus town-
ship, and was employed by the same company
for three years, assisting in building" the road.
A Mr. Feizer, living on the farm now owned
by Mrs. John Sprenkel, near the tunnel, was
the first man to pass through that tunnel. Mr.
Gable bought the Emig farm of sixty acres in
North Codorus, and there he engaged success-
fully in agricultural pursuits, making his home
on that place until his death, which occurred
in 1844. The place is now owned by George
W. Heiges. Mrs. Gable died at the age of
eighty years, two months, and both are buried
at the well-known Ziegler Church, in North
Codorus township. They were members of
the Reformed Church, and always took an ac-
tive interest in its work. Mr. and Mrs. Gable
had ten children born to them. Five of this
family remained in Germany, and three still



survive, Mary Elizabeth, Henry and Daniel.
Mary Elizabeth, born Oct. 11, 1830, is the
widow of David Brenneman, and resides in
Spring-field township. Daniel married Caro-
line Landen, and they reside in Springfield
township, York county.

Henry Gable received his first schooling in
the old dwelling house on the Israel Folkomer
farm in North Codorus township, and last at-
tended at Mummerts meeting-house, in Adams
county, remaining in school until his eighteenth
year. In 1848 he saw the first telegraph poles
thrown off the train that came from York.
This was on a Sunday morning, and a pole
was thrown off every 300 yards, and one wire
was put on. This was a wonderful sight in
that day, and a large crowd from the country
round collected to view the train as it w^nt
speeding past Brillhart. The road 'was then
the Baltimore & Susquehanna, but is now the
Northern Central. That same year occurred
a notable wreck. A freight train struck a
heifer that belonged to James Robinson, a
colored man, and was derailed, knocking ofif
the northwest corner of the bridge at Brill-
hart Station, the engine and cars going into the
creek. Five men were injured and taken to
the home of John Brillhart, near the Station.
John Gable, a brother of Henry, was employed
there at the time, and he went to the mill north
of the station, now owned by the York Water
Company, at one o'clock at night for rye flour
for poultices for the injured men. By the fol-
lowing Sunday the wreck was all cleared
away, except the cow-catcher, and that is still
there.

On June 18, 1857, Henry Gable returned
to York county from Adams county, and in
North Codorus township, near York New
Salem, engag'ed in farm work, to which he had
ben reared. In the fall of 1861 he came to
York, continuing here until his enlistment,
Feb. 23, 1864, in Company B, 187th P. V. I.
He was wounded June 18, 1864, on the Peters-
burg & Norfolk railroad, in Virginia, a bullet
passing through his left thigh, and leg; Sam-
uel I. Adams, of York, was at his side at the
time. He Avas taken to the Division Hospital
Jtine 18, 1864, received attention there on the
19th, the next day going to City Point (Va.)
hospital. On June 30th he left City Point
Hospital for Washington, where he was re-
ceived at the Finley Hospital July ist. His
sister, Elizabeth, went to Washington, D. C,



BIOGRAPHICAL



241



in September, 1S64, to secure his transfer to
York Hospital A, and he left Finley Hospital
Oct. 4, 1864, making the trip on the well-
known "Penn Park," York, Pa., and arriv-
ing at his new quarters Oct. 5th. On July
25, 1865, he was again transferred, this time
to the Citizens Hospital, Philadelphia, where
he arrived the same day, the next day leaving"
for Chestnut Hill Hospital, near Germantown,
where he remained from July 26th to Oct.
17th. That day he went to the Christian
Street Hospital, Philadelphia, where a piece
of bone was taken from his leg Jan. 10, 1866,
a second piece coming out years afterward,
Sept. 3, 1872, on his farm in Codorus town-
ship. Mr. Gable left Philadelphia Feb. 23,
1866, for Harrisburg, where he received his
discharge the same day, also entering his ap-
plication for a pension, at Washintgon, D. C.
Returning to York county, Mr. Gable remained
a short time near York New Salem, and thence
removed to Seven Valley, where he was en-
gaged at farm work.

On Oct. 29, 1868, Mr. Gable was united in
marriage with Mrs. Elizabeth Henry, and they
located on the farm in Codorus township,
where Mrs. Gable passed the remainder of her
active years. It was a fine tract of land, made
more valuable by intelligent cultivation and
consta:.L improvement, and its owner justly
ranked among the most successful farmers in
his locality. Mrs. Gable passed away at that
home Dec. 26, 1885, and Mr. Gable continued
to reside there until Dec. 24, 1903, since when
he has lived retired in York. Mr. and Mrs.
Gable had no children. She was a member of
St. Peter's Reformed Church, and is buried
at what is known as the White Church in
Springfield township. Mr. Gable is a member
of the Reformed Church in Springfield town-
ship. He is a Democrat in political faith. Few
men are better known than he in the locality
where he made his home for so many years,
and none are held in more general esteem.

CALVIN T. KRAFT, for the past five
years cashier of the City Bank of York, be-
gan his connection with the bank as a mes-
senger boy, and received successive promotions
to his present position.

The date when the original emigrant of the

Kraft family landed in America has been lost.

but it was certainly in Colonial times that the

first members of the familv came to York

16



county, and founded the settlement afterward
known as Jefferson. The later members seem
to have followed a mercantile life, both Cal-
\m T. Kraft's grandfather, Frederick, and his-
father, Albert, having been merchants at that
point. Late in life (1884) the father removed
to \ ork, where he was in business for some
seven years longer, and then lived a retired
life until 1898, which marked the date of his
death, at the age of fifty-nine years. His wife
was Elizabeth J. Ebaugh, daughter of David
Ebaugh, who was for many years a farmer
and teacher at Stewartstown, York county,,
passing his later years in the city of York.
Calvin T. Kraft is one of a family of four-
children. A sister, Lilian, died in infancy;:
Fannie died in 1890, at the age of eighteen,
and Albert L., is now a salesman in York.

The career of Calvin T. Kraft has not been
an eventful one, but it has been exceedingly
creditable from the point of industry and faith-
ful and efficient service. Born March 30, 1867.
he passed the period of youth in gaining an
education at the place of his birth, the village
of Jef¥erson, later spending a period in attend-
ance at the York County Academy. He began
his business career while yet in his teens as a
clerk in his father's store. After five years he
was ofifered the position of messenger boy in
the City Bank, a position which many young
men would have scorned to accept, as beneath
their dignity. But not so with jMr. Kraft ; and
having accepted it he attended to the duties
involved with as much attention and care as if
he were at the top of the ladder, instead of just
stepping on the bottom round. Mr. Kraft
passed from messenger boy to bookkeeper dur-
ing the second year of his service, because,
while faithfully attending to his work in the
former position, he yet had time to acquaint
himself with the work of the bookkeeper. Two
years in this position, and he was found com-
petent to handle the money of the bnnk, and as
teller he passed a period of eleven years. The
important position which Mr. Kraft now holds
came to him by election of the board of direc-
tors in May, 1900. Here he has maintained
his reputation for efficient and painstaking ef-
fort, and he is regarded in financial circles as
one of the best men in his line in the city.

Mr. Kraft was married, July 10, 1902, to
IMazie Stauffer, daughter of D. F. Stauffer.
proprietor of the Stauft'er Steam Cracker Ba-
kery of York. The genial social qualities of



^42



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Mr. Kraft liave made him a popular member of
York society. In the line of the fraternities
he affiliates with the Elks, the Odd Fellows and
.the Royal Arcanum. In church faith and mem-
bership he and his wife are Lutherans. Poli-
.tics as such have no particular attraction foi*
him; he votes the Democratic ticket, and
.demands good men and correct principles. He
is one of the younger members of the York
County Historical Society, an institution which
is becoming increasingly the pride of those in-
terested in the past history of York county.

It is true that life with Mr. Kraft has not
.been a summer vacation at all times, indeed
.but seldom; yet he enjoys it, being by nature
and training gifted with a penchant for work,
.and happy, therefore, only while busily en-
gaged. No boy born with the true Ameri-
ican spirit need have a less successful career if
he accepts the opportunities everywhere at
hand, and having taken up a line of work, fol-
lows it with the same devotion to duty dis-
played by Calvin T. Kraft.

' AVILLIAM B. NELSON, now living re-
tired in Carroll township, was born June 30,
1838, in that township, son of Samuel Park
Nelson.

Samuel Nelson, his great-grandfather,
•was born Feb. 7, 1742, and came from Eng-
land to America at an early date, landing in
New York City, whence he later on removed
to York county, Pa., where he died Nov. 8,
1802. On March 9, 1769, he married Mary
(McMullen) Nelson, who was born May 21,
1747, and she died March 16, 1828. Their
children were: Susanna, bom Aug. 18, 1770,
Margaret, born Feb. 18, 1773; William, born
May 31, 1775; Mary, born Nov. 18, 1778;
Robert, born June 26, 1781; Elizabeth, born
Sept. 25, 1785; Sarah, born Jan. 26, 1787;
Rebecca, born Aug. 31, 1790; and Jane, born
Oct. 7, 1793.

William Nelson, son of Samuel, was born
May 31, 1775. in York county, and there mar-
ried Frances Parks. He owned two farms in
Carroll township, consisting of about 300 acres
of land, was very prosperous and highly es-
teemed in his county. Later in life he re-
moved to Dillsburg. where he lived retired un-
til his death, which occurred in his seventy-
fourth year. His wife had died aged forty-
five years, and both were buried at Dillsburg.



They had these children: ]\Iary, who died in
Monaghan township, was buried at Dillsburg,
and survived for some years by her husband,
William Porter; Margaret, who married
James Clark, died at Mechanicsburg, Cum-
berland county, and was buried at Dillsburg;
Samuel Park; Caroline, who died in Carroll
township, and was buried at Dillsburg, mar-
ried Matthew Porter; Joseph, who still lives
in Ottawa Co., Kans., sixty miles east of the
Rocky Mountains, married Alary Stanley, of
Illinois, who died some years ago; Eliza Jane,
who married James Williams, is buried at
Dillsburg; Frances, the wife of Nebin H. Pal-
mer, lives in Vermilion county. 111.; and two
boys who died when young.

Samuel Park. Nelson was born Dec. 25,
1813, in Carroll township, and there spent all
of his life. He received a common school edu-
cation, and, after his marriage to Margaret
Bailey, born Jan. 9, 181 5, daughter of John
and Anna (Blair) Bailey, they removed 'to
his farm in Carroll township. This place con-
sisted of 128 acres of finely improved land,
upon which he erected new buildings and made
improvements. He continued to farm there
for twenty-four years, but retired from active
work some time prior to his death, when he re-
moved to Dillsburg to live a retired life. He
was a very prominent man in local affairs,
and his death, Feb. 9, 1884, caused universal
sorrow. He was buried at Dillsburg. His
first wife died aged thirty-two years and nine
months, in 1847, and Mr. Nelson married her
sister, Joanna, who was born Sept. 28, 1816,
and she now makes her home in Dillsburg, be-
ing one of the oldest ladies in that part of
York county. The children born to Mr. Nel-
son and his first wife Avere : Frances A., born
Nov. 22, 1835, is single and lives at Dillsburg;
William B. ; Maria T., born Nov. i. 1839,
died Dec. 28, 1843; Lucinda J., born Oct. 7,
1841, died unmarried Oct. 7, 1872; Robert,
born Feb. 3, 1844, married Caroline Livings-
ton, and lives in Adams county, where he car-
ries on farming; Maria T., born May 7, 1846,
is the wife of James Floyd, a farmer of Mon-
roe township, Cumberland county. To ]\Ir.
Nelson and his second wife were born these
children: Emerson B., born July 29, 1850,
married Katherine Kimmell, and lives at An-
dersontown, York county; Mary B., born
Sept. 28, 1852, died June 2, 1863; Joseph M.,



BIOGRAPHICAL



243



born Nov. 14, 1856, died Nov. 7, 1864; and
Jilmer, born Sept. 28, i860, died June 10,
1S63.

William B. Nelson attended the Stony
Run school in his native township until twen-
ty-one years of age, and then assisted his fath-
er at farming. In 1866 he married Mai-y El-



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 46 of 201)