Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 47 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 47 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


len Hurst, daughter of J. B. and Susan
(Hershfelt) Hurst, of Philadelphia. They lo-
cated on the home farm for five years, and then
went to Cumberland county for one year, af-
ter which seven years were spent in Dillsburg.
Mr. Nelson then purchased a farm of eighty-
nine acres in Carroll township, and remained
there from 1S79 to 1894. The next two years
were spent at Bendersville, and he then en-
gaged in a mercantile business at Wellsville.
He built his present residence in 1896, on a
small tract of six and one-half acres, and is
now living a retired life.

These children have been born to Mr. and
Mrs. William B. Nelson: (i) Laura C, born
Sept. 12, 1867, died Sept. 28, 1890. She was the
wife of Robert M. Metzger, and her son, Nel-
son P., is making his home with our subject
and his wife, they having taken him when
cjuite young, and he is now attending school.
(2) Jacob H., born April 11, 1871, and work-
ing his father's farm, married, July 10, 1894
at Bendersville, Pa., Charlotte Whaley, and
has two children, Ellen Hunt, born June 15,
1896; and William R., born Aug. 9, 1900. (3)
Park H., born June 11, 1875, died March 15,
1894, aged eighteen years, nine months, and
four days.

Mr. Nelson is a Republican, and has been
an able and active worker in the interests of
his party in his section. He has served his
township as assessor, school director, tax col-
lector, and was a delegate to a number of
county conventions. He is religiously con-
nected with the Presbyterian Church of Dills-
burg, and he has been a trustee of the church
for a number of years, his wife and family
also attending the services there. Mr. and
Mrs. Nelson are both well-educated and fond
of good literature, as is evidenced by their
large library and the presence of the latest
and best mag-azines in their home. The Nel-
sons" home, which is located about one mile
from Dillsburg, is one of the handsome ones
of the township, and the farm is in the finest
possible condition. It has been cultivated to



a high state, and all the best and latest im-
provements in the line of machinery are to be
found thereon. Mr. Nelson, his wife and fam-
ily are very well-known in this section, and
are most highly honored and esteemed.

HANANIAH SUTTON, a venerable
and highly respected citizen of Fairview town-
ship, York county, now living retired, was
born in that township, March 8, 1823, son of
John Sutton, and grandson of John Sutton,
Sr., a native of England.

John Sutton, Sr., was born June 3, 1754,
in England, and came to America, settling in
Chester Co., Pa. He removed to Princeton,
Fairview township, some time before 1800,
where he followed farming and died March 8^
1849, at the age of ninety-four years, nine
months and five days, and was buried in
Krone cemetery, at Emanuel Church, Fair-
view township. His wife, Elizabeth Hoffstot,
of Germany, was born May 9, 1755, and died
Dec. 17, 1835, aged eighty years, seven
months and eight days. The children born to
them were: Hannah, who married John
Moore; Peter, a farmer; John, the father of
Hananiah; Daniel; Airs. Barbara Fisher; 'Mrs.
Catherine Atticks ; and Mrs. Sarah Jones'

John Sutton, son of John, Sr., was born
Aug. 12, 1786, in Chester county, where he
learned the weaving trade, following this for
a number of years in Fairview township, York
county, in conjunction with farming, and died
there Aug. 15, 1879. Mr. Sutton was thrice
married, first to Mary Laird, who died March
II, 1823; second to Catherine Ashenfelter;
and then to Mary Snellbecker, now deceased.
The children were all born to the first mar-
riage: Barbara died young; John L. died in
Fairview township; Daniel, a minister, died
m _ Warrington township ; Washington and
Elizabeth, twins, of whom Washington died in
York, and Elizabeth, who married William
Taylor, died in Cumberland countv ; and Han-
amah, the last named being tliree davs old
when his mother died.

Hananiah Sutton attended the schools of
Fairview township, and also for a short time
in Bucks county. At Princeton and Lewis-
berry he learned the trade of blacksmith, and
m the former town he engaged in business,
and worked at his trade for Vortv-two vears!
For five yeirs he was located at "Lewi sherry.
So expert he became, and so accurate and



244



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENxNSYLVANIA



swift his movements that he could shoe a
horse in twenty minutes. In 1867 he located
at his present place, buying the old David
Cline farm of 240 acres, and has made many
improvements. While he is now retn-ed from
active work, his shop still attracts and he of-
ten goes there, and makes many little things
for use on his farm.

Mr. Sutton married Elizabeth Nisley,
daughter of Anthony and Susan (Snyder)
Nisley. She died in 1875, and is buried at
Emanuel Church. The children born of this
union were: Robert, a farmer, who married
Margaret Frankeberger, and is mentioned
elsewhere; Luther, on the home farm, who
married Isabella Myers, and has one son, Han-
aniah Myers; Emma Jane, who died aged
four years ; and Susanna, who married Luther
Bushey, and died in Warrington township, in
1880. Politically Mr. Sutton is a Republican,
and in spite of his advanced years he is well
posted on public questions, and actively inter-
ested in all progressive movements. Hale and
hearty, he is a practical example of one wdro
has grown old gracefully, but whose heart and
interests are still youthful.

His grandson, Hananiah Myers Sutton, is
now a successful and popular teacher, having
had four years experience at Cross Roads, in
Fairview township, and now being engaged in
the school at Pinetown.

LEWIS CLINE, a useful citizen and suc-
cessful miller in Fairview township, is an hon-
ored veteran of the Civil war. He is descended
from John Cline, of German descent, who was
born in 1769, and who was a farmer living in
Newberry township, near Lewisberry. He
married Elizabeth Ensminger in 1787, and died
in 1839. Both he and his wife were in-
terred in a private burying ground on his
farm. They had a family of twelve children :
Mary (no record) ; Elizabeth, who married
Jacob Kirk, and died in 1836; John, a farmer
of Fairview township, who died in 1857, and
was buried in St. John's cemetery at Lewis-
berry; Margaret, who died in 1874, and was
buried in St. John's cemetery: Daniel, who
died in Ohio ; Philip, who lived in Illinois, and
died there in 1859; Catharine (no record);
Andrew, the father of Lewis (record below) ;
George, a tanner of Dauphin county, who died
in 1878; Joseph and Franklin, both plasterers.



the former dying in 1874, the latter in 1886,
and both are buried in St. John's cemetery;
and Lewis, who lived and died in Illinois.

Andrew Cline, son of John, was born Nov.
3, 1805, and he received a limited school edu-
cation. He learned the hatter's trade, making
silk and beaver hats, which occupation he fol-
lowed a number of years, a part of which time
was spent in Ohio, called then the "Back-
woods," and it being before the time of rail-
roads, he was obliged to make the journey to
that State on foot. Returning to Lewisberry
he continued to make hats until 1836, when,
having accumulated some money, he purchased
a farm of 120 acres of his father-in-law's es-
tate. This farm was close to Lewisberry in
Newberry township, and is now owned by
Jacob Fetrow. He built a fine barn and cider
mill and otherwise improved the property.

Mr. Cline was a progressive farmer, al-
ways ready to try improved methods. He pur-
chased an O. Flussey reaper, the first one in
the community, and crowds of people were at-
tracted b}' the novelty of seeing it work. On
its trial trip a little dog belonging to Joseph
Starr, tried to make a rather too close investi-
gation, sprang into the knives and had his leg
cut off and so lost his life. Mr. Cline also
owned the first cook stove in the neighborhood,
which was almost as great a curiosity; the
cooking previously having been done in pots
and kettles, over the coals on the hearth in
the chimney corner. In 1852 he bought the
Lewisberry mill property, in Fairview town-
ship, of John Kauffman, with the beautiful
mill dam covering nearly forty acres, known as
Silver Lake, and he moved to that property,
selling his farm in Newberry township in 1856.
Mr. Cline was very successful in both his mill-
ing and farming business, and soon purchased
a couple of adjoining farms, and gave constant
employment to half a dozen men.

Andrew Cline was a Republican in politics
and served as tax collector. He was noted for
his honesty and integrity, and by industry and
foresight he worked his way up from poverty
and obscurity to prominence in financial circles,
being a stockholder in the Central Transporta-
tion Co., various railroad companies, and the
holder of a number of Government bonds ; and,
notwithstanding the depreciation in real estate
and some other of his holdings, at the time of
his death, had property worth over $60,000.





^^



BIOGRAPHICAL



245



In 1830 Andrew Cline married Margaret
Foster, daughter of Hugh and Avis (Franke-
berger) Foster. He died in 1882, and his wife
in 1S86, and both are buried in St. John's cem-
etery. Tlieir children were : Ehza Jane, mar-
ried to Stephen Pipher in 1859, died in New
Cumberland in 1897, and was buried in
]\Iount Olivet cemetery; Henrietta died
in 1836; Margaret died in 1835 ; Lewis is men-
tioned below; Avis Ann, unmarried, lives in
the homestead at Lewisberry; William Henry
Harrison, a farmer, unmarried, lives on the
homestead (in 1863 he was drafted for ser-
vice in the army, and his father needing him at
home paid the $300 commutation money, and
he holds a certificate of release from military
duty during the term of the draft) ; Clarissa
married Brice I. Sterrett of Decatur, 111.,
in 1879, and lives in Decatur; Lucinda
died in 1845; Caroline, unmarried, lives on the
homestead with her brother and sister; and
James F., who married Sallie Heck, of Lis-
burn, in 1878, owns the Strinestown mill prop-
erty, where he lived until 1904, when he built
a home in Steelton, where he now resides.

Lewis' Cline, son of Andrew, was born
March 10, 1836. He has followed farming
and milling all his life, and is now doing a
large business, having made great improve-
ments in the mill. He has put in rolls and a
gasoline engine for use when the water is low.
He also operates a sawmill attached to the
mill. In 1885 he built the fine, large house
which he now occupies, and has also built a
good barn.

In 1 87 1 Mr. Cline married Elmira ilor-
dorf, daughter of Levi and Susanna (Leiby)
Mordorf, of Cumberland county. The chil-
dren of this union were : Clara, who married
George W. Coover, in 1902, and lives in Le-
moyne, Cumberland county; Rosaline and
Edith, at home, and Lewis, who died in in-
fancy, and was buried in St. John's cemetery.

In politics Mr. Cline is a Republican,, and
has served as school director for twelve years.
In 1898 he was a candidate for the State Sen-
ate. He is a survivor of the great Civil war,
and has an honorable war record. He was
seriously wounded in the arm at the battle of
Antietam, and is still in possession of the bul-
let which struck him. The injury has greatly
incapacitated him and has ever since proved a
great hindrance. At one time he was making
some repairs and on account of his disabled



arm was caught in the master wheel of the
mill, breaking his collar bone and receiving
other injuries, nearly losing his life. Mr. Cline
is a good citizen, a successful business man,
and is highly respected throughout Fairview
township. He is a member of the Col. H. I.
Zinn Post No. 415, G. A. R., of Mechanics-
burg, Pennsylvania.

E. M. BAILEY, justice of the peace and
merchant in Codorus township, was born there
Jan. 30, 1865, and is descended from an old
family of York county, originally farming peo-
ple in that section.

His paternal great-grandfather was a farm-
er in Codorus township, and died there when
ninety-three years of age. His son Henry,
born on the homestead, was a mason by oc-
cupation in the same neighborhood, and died
there at the age of seventy-eight years. His
wife, whose maiden name was Mary Rohr-
baugh, died a number of years before him, and
both are buried in Shrewsbury township. Their
children were Jesse, Jacob, John, Henry,
Samuel, Levi, Sarah and Mary.

Samuel Bailey was born in 1841, and was
educated in the public schools. During the
Civil war he served four months in the army,
enlisting in Company E, loist P. V. I. On
his return home after the war he went into the
mercantile business, establishing himself in
1867, where his son is now located, and from
that time till 1901 he conducted a flourishing
and constantly increasing business; all the
buildings now used by his successors were put
up by him. For fourteen years he also acted
as postmaster, the office known as Neiman
being located in his store. His was a long and
honorable mercantile career, and he is now
living retired. Mr. Bailey married Miss
Chrisana Markel, of York count};-, ^d a fam-
ily was born to them as follows : Emanuel
M. ; Amanda, Mrs. Franklin Luckenbaugh, of
Codorus township; Dr. L. M., of Hanover,
who married Lucy Glatfelter; Rosa. Mrs.
Adam Stable, of Hanover; and Allen, at
home, unmarried.

Emanuel M. Bailey was sent to the public
schools of Codorus township, and then to the
academy at Glen Rock borough. He after-
ward took up the profession of teaching him-
self, and was so employed in his home township
for eight terms. He then went into his fath-
er's store as a clerk, and worked for him in



246



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



that capacity fourteen years, but March i,
1902, he bought out his father, and is now con-
ducting the store with a partner, under the
firm name of Bailey & Warner. Their estab-
lishment is on the York road, and they do a
thriving trade, carrying a full line of goods.
They also do paper hanging, and in addition
to their other ■ interests conduct a cream sepa-
rator station. The partners are both wide-
awake, enterprising men, and are making a
great success of their undertakings.

Mr. Bailey's chosen partner in life was
Miss Mary Maul, a daughter of Michael and
Sarah (Bohn) Maul, to whom he was united
in 1882. One son has been born to them,
Victor, of Shenadoah, Pa. ; and one daughter,
Amy B., at home. The son is a graduate of
Patrick's Business College, of York City, and
is now general manager of Dempsey's store
in Shenandoah, Schuylkill Co., Pa. Pie mar-
ried Miss May C. Geltmacher, of Maytown,
Lancaster county.

Emanuel M. Bailey is a Democrat, and a
leading man in his party locally. He has al-
ways been active in township and county af-
fairs, and has been a delegate to the county
conventions since he was twenty-one. He has
also served as county committeeman. For
twelve years he has been a justice of the peace,
and at elections has acted as both inspector and
judge of elections. He is equally prominent
in religious circles. A member of Zion Re-
formed Church, he is now filling the office of
elder, and for twenty-one years has been super-
intendent of the Sunday-school. He has also
been choir master for a long time. Fraternal-
ly he is a member of Friendly Lodge, No. 287,
Knights of Pythias at Glen Rock, and of Co-
lumbus Conclave, No. 262, I. O. H., at York.
Mr. Bailey is thus closely identified with var-
ious phase? of the community's life, and holds
a high place in the esteem of his fellow citi-
zens.

DE HUFF. The Brst person of this name
among the early settlers in Lancaster was
John DeHuff, who was bom in 1704, and died
Dec. 25, 1757. His wife, Catharina, was born
March 22, 1704, at Schriesheim, in the Pala-
tinate, and died at the age of eighty-six years-
Her parents were Johannes Brecht, an official
in the principality, and Catharina Ploffman. In
1725 she came to this country, and was mar-



ried on Oct. I, 1727, to John DeLIuff, which
union was blessed with eleven children. John
DeHuff was of Huguenot descent, his people
leaving France with many others after the re-
vocation of the edict of Nantes, in 1685. He
came to Lancaster from the eastern shore of
Maryland, near the source of Labadie, whose
commissioners secured for that purpose a large
tract of land, situated on Elk river, in Cecd
county, Maryland, and called Bohemia Manor.
It is not known when he came to this country,
but a record of him is found in Lancaster in
1742 and 1743 as assistant burgess. The char-
ter of the borough of Lancaster was granted
May I, 1742, and "did nominate and appoint
Thomas Cookron and Sebastian Graff to be
Burgesses, and Michael Bierly, Matthias
Young, John DeHuff, John Folkes, Abraham
Johnson and Peter Worrall as assistants." In
1744 he served as chief burgess of Lancaster.
John DeHuff was a saddler, and prosperous, re-
siding on East King street, and owning a num-
ber of houses. In 1742, as history tells us, he
was classed as one of the leading men of the
town.

John D'eHuff, a son of John DeHuff, was
one of the original members of the Friendship
Fire Company, having signed the articles of the
Association Dec. 10, 1763, which included
names of prominence, viz. : George Ross,
Thomas Barton, James Bickham, Jacob Glatz
and others. On the jury empaneled by Sheriff"
Matthias Slough, Dec. 14, 1763, to investigate
the murder of the Indians at their village out-
side of Lancaster, were Matthias DeHuff and
John DeHuff. Between the time of the build-
ing of the Moravian Church in Lancaster, in
1746, and 1800, are recorded the names of
fifty-six DeHuffs' marriages, births or deaths,
showing they were numerous ; as much so, per-
haps, as any name then known in the commu-
nity. In 1750, when it was proposed to build
a chapel adjoining the church, he thought a
buikhng for a boarding school much more nec-
essary, but later gave five pounds to the chapel.

Five children survived John DeHuff, viz. :
Susanna (who died in 1761), Johannes (who
died in 1774, leaving a widow, Anna Barbara,
a daughter of Heinrich Zimmerman), Abra-
ham, Heinrich and Matthias.

Heinrich DeHuff, born Sept. 14, 1738, was
first married to Elizabeth Graff, and (second)
to Philapena Ebarman, and died April 19,



BIOGRAPHICAL



247



1799. Following" in the footsteps of his fath-
er, he was a saddler, and was chosen chief bur-
gess of Lancaster in the years 1778, 1779,
1782, 1783 and 1784, and assistant burgess in
1772 and 1789. He was appointed by the court
in March, 1759, as overseer of the poor. At a
meeting held Aug. 25, 1764, of the Union Fire
Company, Henry and Matthias DeHuff were
present as members.

Matthias DeHuff was born Aug. 27, 1740,
and died June 14, 1803. He married Catha-
rine Kreamer. He was a soldier in the Revo-
lutionary war, serving as a private in Capt. Jas-
per Yeates' Company.

Capt. Abraham DeHuff, certainly one of
Lancaster's most distinguished citizens, was
born near the source of the river Elk, on the
eastern shore of Maryland, Feb. 13, 1735, and
died in Lancaster, March 11, 1821. On May
25, 1756, he married Mary Finch, of Phila-
delphia, daughter of John Finch and Mary Li-
bert, and she became the mother of nine chil-
dren. He contracted a second marriage, with
Catharina Wolf, Feb. 5, 1793. Maria, the
daughter of Abraham DeHuff, married Robert
Reed, born in Ireland April 28, 1785, and was
the ancestor of the late George K. Reed and
Mrs. Charles A. Heinitsh.

Abraham DeHuff was a saddler by occupa-
tion. He was assistant burgess of Lancaster
in the years 1761, 1762 and 1763. He was
also one of the founders of the Lancaster Li-
brary Company, in 1759 (renamed the Juliana
Library in 1763), establishing the third circu-
lating library organized in the Colonies. On
Nov. 8, 1775. Abraham DeHuff was chosen a
member of the Committee of Correspondence
for Lancaster county. He was appointed cap-
tain March 15, 1776, in Col. Samuel J. Atlee's
musketry battalion, which was recruited in the
spring of 1776, and joined the Flying Camp
under Gen. Mercer. In Col. Atlee's battalion
were two companies from Lancaster county,
Capt. Abraham DeHuff's and Capt. Thomas
Herbert's. Col. Samuel J. Atlee's and Col.
Samuel Miles' regiments rendezvoused at Mar-
cus Hook, and were ordered to New Tersev on
the 1 2th of August, being brigaded with Glover
and Smallwood's regiments under command of
Brig. Gen. Lord Sterling. In the battle of
Long Island, Aug. 27, 1776, Col. Atlee's and
Col. Miles' regiments suffered so severely that
Gen. Washington ordered three battalions to
be considered as one regiment under command



of Lieut. Col. Brodhead until further orders.
On the 5th of October, 1776, the Council o£
Safety ordered a rearrangement of three bat-
talions. The company of Capt. Abraham De-
Huff 'retained its place in the reorganization,
being known as the State Regiment of Foot. A
part of this regiment was present in the action
at Fort Washington, Nov. 16, 1776, and fell
into the hands of the enemy, with several of
the officers, among them Capt. Abraham De-
Huff, who had also suffered severely at the bat-
tle of Long Island. He was exchanged as pris-
oner of war, Nov. 16, 1778. On April i, 1780,
Abraham DeHuff was appointed sub-lieutenant
of Lancaster county.

John, Thomas and Richard Penn, proprie-
taries and governors in chief of said Province
of Pennsylvania, by their patent bearing date
of Nov. 30, 1 71 7, granted unto Hans Pup-
ather (alias Brubaker) and Christian Hearsaj'
a certain tract of land situated on Little Cones-
toga creek, then called in ye county of Chester,
now Lancaster county, containing one thous-
and acres. In 17 18, by mutual consent, this
grant of land was divided into equal parts of
five hundred acres each. The heirs of Chris-
tian Hearsay, deceased, did grant and confirrm
unto Peter Baumgardner and Barbara, his wife,
268 acres of said land and the allowance of six
acres for roads and highways. The above
named persons being aliens, and, therefore, not
capable of making a legal conveyance of the
said land, he, the said Peter Baumgardner,
humbly requested that the proprietaries would
be pleased to grant him a release. A patent
was granted, recorded in Philadelphia, on the
20th of. August, A. D. 1734. On the 21st of
November, 1737, John DeHuff bought the land
held by Peter Baumgardner and wife, Barbara,,
and in January, 1761, John DeHuff', his eldest
son. paid £550 for sixty acres of this grant of
land on the Little Conestoga creek, in Hemp-
field township, of the lawful money of Pennsyl-
vania.

James Hamilton, Aug. 14, 1740. granted
to John DeHuff and Catharine, his wife. Lots
329 and 330, or pieces of ground, situated in
the borough of Lancaster, on the north side of
King street, in depth of sixty-four feet, near
Prince, west of Water : Lot 276, Prince street,
near King, on the south, in 173=;, with an out
lot. No. 17, in Manheim township. John De-
Huff bought from Roger Hunt and Esther, his
wife, Jan. 8, 1743, a lot on Queen street, also



248



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



a lot on King street from Harmon Updegratt,
Aug. 20, 1757. John DeHuff was one of the in-
fluential men in the organization of the First
Reformed Church, before he became identi-
fied with the Moravians. The original lot on
which the church was built was a grant from
James Hamilton, dated Oct. 5, 1741, to Henry
Bostler, John DeHuff, Peter Balspach, John
Earner, Philip Miller and Nicholas Caudle,
members of the Reformed Church of the High
Dutch Protestants, in the town of Lancaster,
and the trustees for the said congregation. Lot
sixty-four feet, four and one-half inches in
depth, to a fourteen- feet alley; depth two hun-
dred and fifty-two feet. [Recorded in Book
H, page 89.]



The writer, Frank DeHuff, born here in
1846, is a lineal descendant of the above men-
tioned De Huffs.

JACOB MATHIAS SMYSER, a retired
banker and one of the most substantial finan-
ciers of York, comes of a family long estab-
lished in this county and is himself a native of
West Manchester township. He was born
there March 18, 1845, and is a great-grandson
of Mathias Smyser, whose old homestead in
that township he now owns.

Jacob Smyser, grandfather of Jacob M.,
was a native of West Manchester, was a life-
long farmer, and owned a large amount of
land in York county. He was twice married,
and his children were : David, Polly Diehl,
Elizabeth Bott, Susan Gross, Mrs. Benjamin
Myers and Mrs. Harry Ebert.

David Smyser, father of Jacob M., was
likewise born in West Manchester township,
and there received his education and a



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 47 of 201)