Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 48 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 48 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


thorough training to agricultural pursuits. He
was successful in business, and became a very
large landowner, acquiring about 1,200 acres,
all in York county except a farm of 190 acres
in Adams county. He married Rebecca Eys-
ter, and they passed their lives in their native
township, where they are buried, at Wolf's
Church. Mr. Smyser lived to be seventy-two
years old, his wife to be eighty-nine. He was
a member of Wolf's Lutheran Church, which
he helped to build. David and Rebecca Smy-
ser had children as follows : Martin, Charles
E., D. Albert, Jacob Mathias, Eliza, Sarah
Emig, Louisa and Amanda.

Jacob Mathias Smyser received his school-



ing in his native township, and was there
reared to farm life under the able direction of
his father, with whom he remained until he
was twenty-six years old. Commercial life,
however, appealed to him more strongly than
agricultural, and on leaving the farm he came
to York and entered the grain business with
Mr. Menges, continuing in the same for six-
teen months. He then embarked in the mill-
ing, grain, coal and feed business in Springets-
bury township, near York, and carried it on
for eight years, until his removal to East Ber-
lin, Adams Co., Pa., where he started a gen-
eral banking business. He built up an exten-
sive patronage, and continued in that line also
for eight years, at the end of which period,
in 1889, he returned to York. Here he has
ever since remained, identified with some of
the most important industrial and financial
enterprises of the city and county, and his name
carries confidence wherever he is known. He
first became a member of the banking firm of
Smyser, Bott & Co., whose place of business
was on East Market street, where the Han-
over shoe store is now located, and after six
years with that concern changed to the York
Trust Company, of York, taking the position
of treasurer. His connection with that institu-
tion covered a period of seven years. He then
put up the large building at Nos. 13-15 South
George street known as the Smyser building
and re-entered the banking business as a pri-
vate banker, giving all his time to that con-
cern until he retired, in 1900. Few men in
York county are better known than he is, es-
pecially as a promoter of sound business insti-
tutions which have proved to be of material
benefit to the community. He was one of the
organizers of the York Card & Paper Com-
pany of York, of which he was treasurer for a
time, and later a -director; in company with
Mr. George S. Billmyer he owned the Mid-
dletown Water Company, which they bought
in 1897 and sold in 1901 ; he was an organizer
and director of the New York Match Com-
pany of York ; for one year was treasurer of
the Norway Iron and Steel Company; and for
six years was a director of the East Berlin
Branch railroad. Mr. Smyser is an extensive
owner of valuable real estate. He has just
finished a large building at the corner of King
and South George streets, one of the finest of
the kind in the city of York, the lower floor of
which has been arranged for stores, the upper



BIOGRAPHICAL



249



part as living apartments. He also has in
course of erection a fine building at Nos. 116-
118 South George street, 230 feet deep and
four stories high, for business purposes, which
is a credit to the street and to the city. He
owns the old homestead of 137 acres in West
Manchester township which was owned by his
great-grandfather, and on which all the fam-
ily have been raised, and also has a mill prop-
erty of twenty acres in Springetsbury town-
ship. He is also the owner of one of the finest
farms in the covmty — situated in Jackson town-
ship, and containing 100 acres, and he has a
valuable store property at No. 106 South
George street.

Mr. Smyser has business ability of a high
order, and his business standards are unques-
tioned in the best circles of the county. He
has been remarkably successful throughout his
career, and his present high position has been
_gained by irreproachable methods and good
management of his various interests, which
have benefited the community in many ways.

Mr. Smyser married Miss Amanda J.
Smyser, daughter of Adam and Eliza (Brill-
inger) Smyser, also of York county, and they
occupy a beautiful home at No. 472 West Mar-
ket street, in York, which Mr. Smyser built
in 1889. Children as follows have been born
to them : Nettie, who died when twenty-two
years old; Annie, wife of Frederick Brun-
house, a coal dealer of York; David H., a de-
signer, now of Philadelphia; Mathias, who
still lives at home; Mary, wife of William
Ebert, of York; Adam, who is in his second
year at the law school of the University of
Pennsylvania; Lucy, at home; and Jacob, at-
tending school. Mr. Smyser was instrumental
in the erection of the Lutheran Church at East
Berlin.

MAJOR DAVID Z. SEIPE, one of
York's prominent and honored citizens, a sur-
viving officer of the Civil war, comes from one
of the old and well-established families of
York county. The Seipe family originated in
Holland, but for generations has been in-
<iigenous to American soil. His grandfather,
Adam Seipe, was a prominent farmer in New-
berry township, where he reared a family and
spent his life. His children were : Samuel,
Peter, John, Jacob, David, Emanuel, and three
daughters.

Emanuel Seipe, father of Major Seipe,



was born in Newberry township, where he
was given a fair education in the schools of
his day, and there he learned the trade of
blacksmithing, which he followed for a num-
ber of years in the employ of Alban Ward, of
that township. Later he engaged in farming,
and continued to farm until his death, which
occurred in 1849, when he was aged thirty-
five years. He married Hester Zorger, who
died in 1905, at the advanced age of ninety-
three years. Both are buried in Newberry
township. The children of Emanuel and Hes-
ter Seipe were : David Z., of York ; Herman,
deceased; Israel, who died in 1858; Herman;
Andrew, a resident of Youngtown, Newberry
township, who married Mary Powell; Annie,
wife of Jacob Keister, of Newberry; Mary,
wife of jVIartin S. Crull, of York; and Jane,
wife of Leonard Jontz, the well-knowrr mer-
chant of York, whose business location is at
King and Penn streets in that city.

David Z. Seipe was educated in the town-
ship schools and remained at home until he
was fifteen years old, when he came to York
to learn the machinist's trade. But this proved
too hard a life for his health, and he embarked
in the tobacco business. He had very fair
prospects of business success when the break-
ing out of the Civil war caused him to put
personal considerations aside and to offer his
services in defense of his country. In March,

1861, he enlisted in Company A, i6th P. V. I.,
and served three months as a private soldier.
The danger still increasing, he re-enlisted, in

1862, entering Company K, 130th P. V. I.
He was commissioned a lieutenant and in the
early part of August, of the same year, had
won a captain's commission. Capt. Seipe then
entered Company B, 187th Regiment, June 23,

1863, which was in the ist Division, 5th Corps,
Army of the Potomac. He served with
this body until the close of the war, and in
May, 1865, was commissioned major, and was
mustered out at Harrisburg in August, 1865.
Major Seipe participated in all of the import-
ant engagements in which his several com-
mands took part, and was wounded on the
field of Antietam.

After the close of the war Major Seipe lo-
cated at Philadelphia and engaged in the to-
bacco business, and later became interested in
realty holdings in that city. In 1905 he re-
tired from the tobacco business. Although he
still retains large property interests in Phila-
delphia he has returned to make his pemranent



250



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



home with his relatives at York, finding a ready
welcome from old associates and daily making
new friends. Major Seipe is an honored mem-
ber of George Meade Post, G. A. R., of Phila-
delphia.

MALCOLM O. SMITH, editor and pub-
lisher, was born in York, Pa., Nov. 2, 1846,
son of William W. and Charlotte (Stair)
Smith. He obtained his education in the pub-
lic schools of York, the York Classical and
Normal Institute, the Eastman Business Col-
lege at Poughkeepsie, N. Y., and Pennsylvania
College, at Gettysburg. The last named insti-
tution bestowed upon him, in 1873, the hon-
orary degree of A. B. Mr. Smith taught three
terms in the public schools and conducted the
Hanover Academy two years.

During the Civil war Mr. Smith served
from March to August, 1865, as a private in
Company D, 103d P. V. I. He has always
taken an active interest in the affairs of the
Grand Army of the Republic, and was one of
the founders of Major Jenkins Post, No. 99,
Hanover, and its commander during the first
three years of its existence.

Having learned the trade of printer Mr.
Smith founded the Glen Rock Item, in 1870,
and successfully conducted it until he sold it,
in 1872, to move to Hanover, where he has
since resided. In 1872, with P. H. 'Bittinger,
he established the Hanover Herald, of which
he has been sole editor and publisher since
1884. A daily edition, The Evening Herald,
was begun in 1894, and in 1904 was merged
with the Hanover Daily Record, producing
the Record-Herald. The Hanover Printing
Company was incorporated at the same time,
of which corporation Mr. Smith is the leading
stockholder, president and superintendent.

Mr. Smith has always paid special attention
to local history and pushed original investiga-
tions with zeal. As a result, he published in
his paper in 1872 a series of articles entitled
"Annals of Hanover," and another series in
1876, "Early History of York County," be-
sides many single articles — for posterity his-
torical matter of great local interest. To the
careful compilation of this matter he devoted
much of his time. He is an able writer, and
his wide research in such work has made him
a recognized authority on the history of York
county, his valuable collections rescuing from
oblivion many interesting features of the prim-
itive type of life of the country, and they liave



won for him wide recognition. However, he
has not in the pursuit of this special work
neglected the present, for his paper has been
the fearless exponent of current thought,
maintaining the marked influence and position
among the foremost publications of this part
of the State which it acquired at the outset.
Mr. Smith is a man of progressive ideas, and
one of the best informed and most successful
newspaper men of York county.

He has served for years as secretary of the
Hanover Board of Trade. He has been treas-
urer of McAllister Council, No. 980, Royal
Arcanum, for years. He was one of the or-
ganizers, and has been secretary and director
since its foundation, of the Hanover Improve-
ment Company, which laid out and developed
a large tract between Hanover and McSher-
rystown and adjoining both towns. He has-
been for many years a director of the Hanover
Building and Loan Association. He was one
of the founders, in 1884, and has been secre-
tary ever since, of the Hanover Agricultural
Society, which has held twenty-one successful
annual fairs under his management. He has-
been active in the introduction of the street
car and telephone service, and was secretary
and director of the Hanover Telephone Com-
pany from its incorporation until Its sale to-
the United Telephone and Telegraph Co. Mr.
Smith is a Republican but not an active poli-
tician; he served a three years' temi as school
director — his only public office.

Mr. Smith was married in Gettysburg, 'm.
1867, to Miss Louisa H. S. Vandersloot,
youngest daughter of Dr. F. E. Vandersloot,
of that place. Three children, all of whom
died in early childhood, were born of this-
union.

BIRD HAUER LOUCKS, secretary of
the York Manufacturing Company, was born
in West Manchester township June 24, 1868.
His first paternal ancestor in America, and a
brother, came to this country with the earliest
emigration from Germany, and settled in the-
State of New York, about 1730. One of the
brothers remained in New York. The other
migrated to the vicinity of Philadelphia, and
later located near Womelsdorf, Berks county,
where he reared his family. Peter, one of the-
sons, remained in Berks county. Jacob, John
and Casper came to York county. Jacob-
Loucks, the great-grandfather of Bird H.
Loucks, was married to Margaret Ann Reed,.



BIOGRAPHICAL



of Scotch-Irish ancestrj^ Their children were
John George, Margaret, Catharine, Sarah,
Leah, Mary, Elizabeth and Jacob. John George
Loucks, the grandfather of the subject of this
biography, was born near York^: June 28,
1788, and died Nov. 2, 1861. By his first
wife, whose maiden name was Keyser, he had
five children : John, Michael, George, Henry
and Mary Ann. His second wife was Cather-
ine E. Shank, and their children were Abra-
ham, Margaret, Isaac, Clara Anne, Jacob, Car-
oline, Columbus, Amanda and Nathan.

Jacob Loucks, father of Bird H. Loucks
prominent in the affairs of York county, was
born Nov. 3, 1828. He married Catherine E,
Slagle, and they had five children : George
Clara, Laura, Ellen Catherine and Sylvester
Jacob. His second wife was Mary E. Hauer,
born Dec. 13, 1837, who died Jan. 2, 1900
They had three children: Charles Edward
William Henry and Bird Hauer. Mrs. Loucks
was the daughter of Jacob and Susan
(Thomas) Hauer. Jacob Hauer was born
Jan. 29, 1804, and died Aug. 10, 1855. Susan
Hauer, his wife, was born Feb. 2, 1816, and
died July 9, 1863. Mr. Hauer early in life
was manager of the Coleman Furnaces near
Lebanon, Pa. In 1835 he removed to Spring-
Forge, York county, where he became the man-
ager of the large iron industry then owned by
the Colemans at that place. Subsequently he
purchased this industry and about one thous-
and one hundred acres of land, containing iron
ore mines and valuable chestnut timber, which
was burned into charcoal and used in the man-
ufacture of iron. In 1852 Jacob Hauer dis-
continued the iron business and began the man-
ufacture of paper at Spring Forge.

Bird Hauer Loucks grew to manhood on
his father's farm in West Manchester town-
ship. He attended the public schools of York,
and the York County Academy. In order to
acquire a business education, in 1886, he en-
tered Sadler's Bryant & Stratton Business Col-
lege, in the city of Baltimore. After gradu-
ating from this institution he entered the em-
ploy of John A. Dushane & Co., Baltimore,
continuing with them until Nov. i, 1887, when
he became connected with Stallman & Shetter,
wholesale tobacconists, of York. On Nov. 15,
1897, Mr. Loucks entered the employ of the
York Manufacturing- Company, one of the
largest industrial enterprises of southern Penn-
sylvania. Through his energy 'and enterprise
he was promoted, and at present holds the re-



sponsible position of secretary of this com-
pany. Mr. Loucks was chosen school con-
troller to represent the Eleventh ward of York
in February, 1901, and was re-elected in Feb-
ruary, 1905. He was married to Elsie May
Bott, and they have one son, Walter Bott
Loucks, bom May 5, 1895.

MOUL. The family of this name in York
county was founded there by Conrad Maul, as
the name was originally spelled, and as it ap-
pears on old deeds and gravestones. Some
members of the family still spell the name that
way, others have been spelling it with an "o"
since 1848.

Bartholomew Maul came to York county
with the earliest German emigrants in 1733
and took up a tract of land now covered by a
part of the city of York. He was one of the
founders of Christ Lutheran Chvn-ch, at York,
and was one of the early county commissioners.
He died in 1755, bequeathing his property to
his wife Elizabeth, his son George, and to his
two stepchildren, daughters of his wife by a
former marriage. Conrad Maul, his nephew,
and the founder of the Moul family in York
county, at the age of twenty-five sailed from
the lower Palatinate of Germany, in the ship
"Hampshire," from Rotterdam, Sept. 7, 1748,
Thomas Cheeseman, captain. The Record
Book of St. Matthew's Lutheran Church at
Hanover records the birth of Catherine, daugh-
ter of Conrad and Cadarina Maul, Feb. 16,
1750, and of a son Philip Maul, Sept. 8,
1752. Conrad Maul also had two sons, Peter
and Conrad. A sheepskin deed now in the
possession of Milton Moul, son of Philip Maul,
of Moulstown, was given to Conrad Maul by
Thomas and Richard Penn, proprietors of
Pennsylvania, 1758, in the reign of King
George II over Great Britain, and is recorded
in Philadelphia, 1759, A, Volume 20, page
250.

Conrad Maul acquired considerable prop-
erty in Heidelberg township. During the Rev-
olution, he served in a militia company com-
manded by Capt. Andrew Foreman. This
company was called into active service in 1776
and in the fall of 1777 before the British cap-
tured Philadelphia. In 1781 he was with his
company when it ^vas. placed on duty to
guard about twelve hundred British sol-
diers who were prisoners of war at a canton-
ment four miles southeast of York. At the
close of the Revolution, according to a family



252



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



tradition, Conrad Maul, with two of his neigh-
bors, made a trip to the Blue Grass region of
Kentucky on horseback with the intention of
purchasing lands and locating there. After
an absence of several months the news came to
the family that Conrad Maul and his associates
had died. Philip Maul, his eldest son, and
others went to the region where his father had
gone and found the horses and the graves of
his father and his comrades, but could not re-
cover the money. After his return home the
Orphans Court of York county, on Dec. 4,
1783, granted a deed of the Conrad Maul prop-
erty of Philip Maul. This deed is in the pos-
session of Milton Moul, son of Philip, the sec-
ond, of Moulstown, Heidelberg township.

Cadarina Maul, wife of Conrad, was born
in Germany in 1729, died in 1806, and was
buried in Maulstown graveyard.

Philip Maul, son of Conrad, was born in
1-752, and died in 1841 ; his wife, Elizabeth,
was born in 1753 and died in 1836. Both were
buried in the Moulstown graveyard. They
Iiad three sons and one daughter : Conrad and
Henry, who remained in Moulstown ; John,
who moved to Ohio; and Elizabeth, who
remained in Moulstown and was buried
there.

Conrad Maul, son of Philip, was born in
1777 and died in 1851. He was twice mar-
ried, his first wife being Elizabeth Hoshour,
who was born in 1783 and died in 1808. She
left two sons, Solomon and John, and three
daughters : Elizabeth, married to George
Baker ; Nancy, married to Henry Shireman ;
and Lydia, married to Solomon Banner. His
second wife was Anna Mary Hare, who died
in 1 87 1, aged eighty years. The children of
this wife were : Conrad, Charles, David, Jo-
siah, Absalom, Jacob, Sarah, Lovina, and
Maria (Polly), married to Abraham Thom-
son.

Henry Maul, son of Philip, had six sons :

John, Jacob, George, Henry, Philip and Peter.

His daughters were married to John Miller,

■ Jacob Miller, Jacob Reynolds, John Shaffer

and Daniel Bowersox.

John Maul, son of Philip and brother of
Henry and Conrad, moved to Ohio. He had
two sons, Manassas and Edward, and three
daughters, Mrs. Leah AValker, Mrs. Lavina
Hershey and Mrs. Rebecca Seafung.

Conrad Moul, son of Conrad, son of Philip,
was married to Susan Bollinger, and moved to
Hanover, in 1842. They had two sons: Jo-



seph B., and Charles E., and two daughters,
Sarah Ja-ne and Carrie, the latter married to
Jacob Fitz. Mrs. Fitz die^i in 1884, leaving
three sons, Ervin, Marcy and Earle. Conrad
died in 1893, at the age of eighty years, and
was buried at Hanover.

Charles Moul, son of Conrad, son of Philip,
was buried at York. He had three sons : Mil-
ton, Edwin T. and Alexander.

Josiah Moul died in 1901, at the age of
seventy-nine, and was buried at Mt. Carmel,
near Moulstown. He married Anna Harnish,
and had six sons and two daughters : Jacob
H., Martin, Chnton R., Josiah S., Edward H.,
Emory, Emma (married to Martin Bollinger)
and Mary (married to George Hamme).

On all the deeds and records the name was
spelled Maul until sometime after 1841, when
it was changed to Moul by some branches of
the family.

CHARLES E. MOUL, treasurer of the
Hanover Wire Cloth Company, of Hanover,
is one of the representative and enterprising
business men of that borough. He was born
in Hanover, Jan. 25, 1858, the son of Coni-ad
and Susan (Bollinger) Moul, and the grandson
of Conrad Maul, and is a lineal descendant
of Conrad Maul, who settled in Heidelberg
township, at the present site of Moulstown, in
1748. The grandfather of Charles E. Moul
was a prosperous farmer and distiller, distill-
ing being then a common industry throughout
Pennsylvania.

Conrad Moul, his father, was born at
Moulstown, York county, in 1813. He was
educated in the subscription schools, and in his
youth acquired the trade of cooper. In 1842
he purchased a small property near Hanover
and began the manufacture of water-tight bar-
rels, but soon afterward engaged in the manu-
facture of grain drills, reapers and mowers.
In 1 85 1 he introduced the Hussey reaper into
Pennsylvania, and for twenty years was promi-
nently and actively a manufacturer of reapers
and mowers, during that time inventing and
making many valuable improvements to this
important class of machinery. In 1878 he
added a planing-mill to the machine shop and
organized the firm of C. Moul & Company.

He married Susan Bollinger, who was born
near Mount Carmel church in 181 7, the daugh-
ter of John and Nancy (Stauffer) Bollinger,
the former of whom was born at Bollinger's
Mill, now Dubb's Mill, Heidelberg township,



BIOGRAPHICAL



253



York county, and the latter came from Lan-
caster county. Four children were bom to
Conrad and Susan Moul. The father died in
1893, and the mother in 1906 was living at
the age of eighty-nine in the full possession of
her faculties.

Charles E. Moul received his early educa-
tion in the public schools of Hanover, and later
graduated from Dickinson Seminary, Wil-
liamsport, Pa., and took a course at Eastman's
Business College, Poughkeepsie, N. Y. Mr.
Moul returned to Hanover, and for three years
was in the service of the Hanover Saving Fund
Society as teller and for twenty years as direc-
tor. He was one of the projectors of the Han-
over Match Company, and in 1903 he organ-
ized the Hanover Wire Cloth Factor)^, one of
the chief industries of Hanover, its pay-roll
numbering more than one hundred employees.
Mr. Moul was also one of the organizers of
the Hanover Sewing Company, another im-
portant industry of Hanover, engaged in the
manufacture of men's shirts, and employing
about one hundred and twenty hands. He has
been secretary of the firm of C. Moul & Com-
pany since its organization.

In 1889 Mr. Moul married Clara E. Glat-
felter, of Spring Grove, daughter of P. H.
Glatfelter, a prominent citizen and paper manu-
facturer. To Mr. and Mrs. Moul have been
boni three children, Elizabeth G., Philip C.
(deceased) and Esther B. Mr. and Mrs. Moul
are active members of St. Matthew's Lutheran
Church.

MARTIN MOUL, manufacturer, coal
dealer and architect, was born in Heidelberg
township, Jtme 15, 1853. He is a lineal de-
scendant of Conrad Moul, one of the earliest
settlers of Heidelberg township, who came here
in 1748. Josiah Moul, the father of Martin,
was born on the old Moul homestead in Heidel-
berg township in 1822, and as a boy worked
on his father's farm. He received a fair edu-
cation in the common schools and followed the
vocation of farming through life. He was one
of the intelligent and progressive farmers of the
county. In politics he was a Democrat. He was
a member of the Lutheran Church, Hanover,
and for many years an elder of the congrega-
tion. He married Annie Harnish, the daugh-
ter of Jacob Harnish, and a descendant of one
of the pioneer families. Jacob Harnish was
twice married. His first wife was a Miss Bech-
tel, and his second a Miss Myers. To Josiah



and Annie (Harnish) Moul were born the fol-
lowing children : Jacob H., a farmer ; Martin ;
Emma, who married Martin Bollinger • Mary'
the wife of George Hamme; Clinton R., who
resides on the old Moul homestead in Heidel-
laerg township; Josiah S., a teacher; Edward
H., supermtendent of the Moul planing-mill-
and Emory, deceased. Josiah, the father, died
m 1901, and was buried in Mt. Carmel ceme-



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 48 of 201)