Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 49 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 49 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


tery. His wife, Annie, who was born in 1826
died m 1896, and was also buried in Mt. Car-
mel cemetery.

Martin Moul spent his boyhood days
on _ the old farm, attending the neigh-
bormg common schools. At the age of
nmeteen he began an apprenticesliTp to
the carpenter's trade with Solomon Zart-
man, of Codorus township. Completing
his trade, Mr. Moul worked for several years
as a millwright, after which he became inter-
ested in the planing-mill at Hanover. In 1890
he started in the manufacturing of matches and
was so engaged for nine years, inventing sev-
eral very useful machines for manufacturing
matches. In 1899 he became identified with
the coal and lumber business and is now presi-
dent of the firm of C. Moul & Company, deal-
ers m lumber, coal and roofing material. He is
a stockholder of the Fitz Water Wheel Com-
pany, of which he has also been elected presi-
dent. He is a stockholder of the Hanover
Wire Cloth Company and has other business
interests.

_ In 1883 Mr. Moul married Mary E. Gem-
mill, formerly of Baltimore county, Md., the
daughter of David W. Gemmill. To Mr." and
Mrs. Moul have been born six children, name-
ly: Carrie, who died at the age of nineteen;
Walter Ray, a machinist ; Alfred Guy ; Florace
Clare; David Gemmill, and Anna Ruth. Mr.
Moul is a member of St. Matthew's Lutheran
Church, of which he has served as elder for
ten years and of which he is a teacher in the
Sunday-school. Mrs. Moul is a member of
the_ Methodist Episcopal Church. In politics
he is independent in local matters and a Demo-
crat in State and national affairs. Mr. Moul
possesses talent and ability as an architect, to
which profession he has in recent years given
considerable attention. He has designed a
number of Hanover's finest residences and a
number of oiSce buildings and public school-
houses, these structures showing striking evi-
dence of his originality and skill as an
architect.



254



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



CHRISTIAN F. MOUL, manufacturer
and dealer in coal and wood, was born in Par-
adise township,' York county, Feb. 17, 1871.
He is a lineal descendant of Conrad Moul, one
of the earliest settlers of Heidelberg township,
who came to this country from the lower Pal-
atinate of Germany in the ship "Hampshire,"
from Rotterdam, Sept. 7, 1748, Thomas
Cheeseman, captain. He took up land in and
around the site of Moulstown. Conrad Moul
had three sons: Philip, born in 1751, died in
1841 ; he remained on the old homestead. Peter
moved to near Holtzschwamm church, and
Conrad, father of John, known as Weaver
Conrad, located near Abbottstown. Peter,
brother of Philip and Conrad, had six sons,
Philip, Conrad, Peter, George, Solomon, John,
and one daughter, Cathrine, who was born in
1799, and died in 1877 (buried at Roth
church).

The second Peter Moul was born in 1794,
and died in 1877; he was buried at Roth
church. He had five sons and two daughters,
Michael, John, Peter, William, Solomon, Lucy,
and Cathrine (married to Emanuel Gross).

John F. Moul, the father of Christian
F. Moul and son of the second Peter, was born
in Paradise township, in 1837, and as a boy
worked on the farm of his father. At the age
of eighteen years he began an apprenticeship
to the carpenter's trade with his brother
Michael. After completing his trade he be-
came a contractor and builder. In politics he
is a stanch Democrat; he is a member of the
Lutheran Church. He married Christianna
Gerber, the daughter of Christian Gerber. To
John F. and Christianna (Gerber) Moul were
born the following children: William H.
Moul; Christian F. Moul; John P. Moul;
Emma, who married William Straly ; Ida, who
married J. Emoiy Flickinger; Mary, deceased,
who was married to Charles Brodbeck; 'Ella,
m.arried to George Wildasin; Daisy, married
to George Rabenstine; and Sarah, deceased.
John, the father, lives with his son-in-law,
George Rabenstine, on High street, Hanover,
Pa. His wife Christianna was born in 1837,
died in 1906, and is buried in Mt. Olivet cem-
etery, Hanover.

Christian F. Moul spent his boyhood days
on the farm and received his education in the
common schools. At the age of eighteen he
began the carpenter's trade, at which he worked
until 1899 when he became interested in the



retail grocery business on Abbottstown street,
Hanover, which business he conducted for four
years. In 1903 he became interested in the
manufacturing of plow handles and beams and
general woodwork for farm machinery, with
his brother, William H. Moul, which has been
very successful and is now one of Hanover's
leading industries. He is also a member and
vice-president, secretary and general manager
of the Moul-Miller Lumber Company Inc.,
who recently bought about ten thousand acres
of timber lands in Virginia and West Virginia
for the' purpose of conducting the manufacture
of lumber.

In 1 89 1 Mr. Moul married Emma J.
Strine, formerly of Hanover, the daughter of
Heni-y Strine. To Mr. and Mrs. Moul have
been born two children, namely : Alvan, who
died at the age of one month, sixteen days, and
Arthur F. Mr. Moul is an active member of
St. Mark's Church and Sunday-school and a
member of the choir. In politics he is inde-
pendent in local matters and a Democrat in
national affairs, and in 1906 was elected school
director in Hanover.

WILLIAM H. MOUL, a brother of Chris-
tian F. Moul, son of John F. Moul, was born
in Paradise township, York county. He spent
his boyhood days on the farm and was edti-
cated in the public schools. At the age of
seventeen he became apprenticed to the carpen-
ter's trade with his father. Completing his
trade, Mr. Moul became an employee with the
firm of Hench & Dromgold Company of York,
manufacturers of farm implements, at which
place he had a position as assistant foreman in
the wood-working department for thirteen
years. In 1903 he became interested with his
brother Christian F. Moul in the manufacture
of plow handles and beams and woodwork for
farm machinery, and is president and general
manager of the concern. In 1906 he became a
member of the Moul-Miller Lumber Company
Inc., of which he is treasurer and assistant
manager.

In 1 89 1 he was married to Sallie Bowman,
daughter of George W. Bowman, of Hanover.
To Mr. and Mrs. Moul have been born one
son, Raymond, and one daughter, Myrtle. Mr.
Moul is an active member of St. Matthew's
Lutheran Church and Sunday-school. In poli-
tics he is independent in local matters and a
Democrat in State and national affairs.



BIOGRAPHICAL



255



CORNELIUS RUFUS McCOSH, ice
manufacturer at Hanover, was born in Ala-
bama, near the Georgia line, May 29, 1850.
His ancestors were among the earliest Scotch-
Irish settlers of Adams county. Pa. James
McCosh, his grandfather, married Deborah
McCreary, representing a prominent Scotch-
Irish family. For a period of ten years or
more James McCosh conducted a hotel at
York Sulphur Springs, a popular summer re-
sort for people from Baltimore, Washington
and other large cities.

Samuel A. McCosh, his son, and father of
Cornelius R. McCosh, was married to Cather-
ine Matilda, daughter of Jacob Eichelberger,
the first chief burgess of Hanover, and sister
of Capt. A. W. Eichelberger, a prominent citi-
zen of the same town. Samuel A. McCosh
conducted a store at York Springs for a num-
ber of years and in the early forties migrated to
Alabama, where he engaged in farming for
several years. He then moved to LaGrange,
TroupCo., Ga., where he erected a hotel and
carried on that business for a time. He again
returned to farming after purchasing a planta-
tion in Ti'oup county. Before the war he
owned a number of slaves. When hostilities
opened he was beyond the age limit to be
drafted into the service, and engaged as a sut-
ler in the Confederate army. In the early
spring of 1865, when General Sherman was
marching through Georgia on his way to the
sea, Mr. McCosh went to Charleston, S. C,
which city was then in a state of commotion
owing to the approach of the Federal army.
During this excitement Mr. McCosh lost his
life. No intelligent information ever reached
the family describing the cause of his death.
His widow, Mrs. McCosh, died in Troup
county, Ga., in 1868.

The follov/ing year Cornelius R. McCosh
came to Hanover. He spent two years in the
public schools and a year in Pleasant Hill
Academy, on Baltimore street, Hanover. He
then engaged for two years in the railroad
business as assistant civil engineer for the Bal-
timore & Harrisburg Railroad, and spent the
succeeding year as a civil engineer, aiding in
the construction of a railroad in Albemarle
county, Va. From 1880 to 1890 he was opera-
tor and agent for the Western Maryland Rail-
road at Emory Grove, where the Baltimore &
Harrisburg joins the WesternMaryland. Since
1890 Mr. McCosh has been carrying on an
extensive business in the manufacture and sale
of ice at Hanover. He first operated the plant



for his uncle, Capt. A. W. Eichelberger, and
at the latter's death, in 1901, became the owner
of the entire plant.

Mr. McCosh was married in 1879 to Nan-
nie Elizabeth, daughter of Alexander and
Louisa (Beck) Baugher. Her father, who
served as a soldier in the Civil war, was born
in the year 1820, and in 1906 was living at the
advanced age of eighty-six years. Mr. and
Mrs. McCosh have four children : Irma, mar-
ried to Robert O. Wirt, teller in the Saving
Fund Society at Hanover ; Henry, now a clerk
in the ofiice of the Norfolk & Western Rail-
road, at Roanoke, Va., married to Florence,
daughter of Dr. William Stoner, of Sunbury,
Pa. ; Robert, a graduate of the Hanover High
School and a clerk and stenographer of the
Norfolk & Western Railroad at Roanoke, Va. ;
and Louise, a graduate of the Hanover High
School, and now a student at National Park
Seminary, near Washington, D. C. Mr. and
Mrs. McCosh, and their four children, are
members of St. Mark's Lutheran Church,
Hanover.

DAVID MILLER, who resides in East
Hopewell township, has been a resident of
this township continuously since 1865, and is
one of its most substantial and influential agri-
culturists. He was born on his father's farm,
close to Cross Roads, April 9, 1824, one of
the ten children — six boys and four girls — in
the family of John and Elizabeth (Trout)
Miller.

INIr. Miller's education was secured in the
subscription schools, the sessions being held
in an old log building near Cross Roads, which
he attended several months each year until he
was twenty. In his younger days much of the
land in this section was covered with heavy
timber, and as a boy he cleared land and picked
stones. Only the poorest of crops could be
raised, the home farm of 160 acres only yield-
ing ten bushels of wheat for many years. In
1865 Mr. Miller located on his present farm,
which he purchased from David Fishel. and in
1883 he erected his present home, the old home'
which is occupied by his son, J. C, being over
one hundred years old. Mr. Miller was con-
nected with tlie Know Nothing party, and was
a Whig before the Republican party Avas or-
ganized, but being fair-minded, and liberal in
his views, votes more for the men than the
partv, and has never been an office seeker. For
fifty years Mr. Miller has been a member of



2s6



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



the Hopewell Presb3'terian Church, and has
served as a trustee. Always an active worker
in the church, he is liberal in its suppoi't, and
donated $500 toward the building of the new
church.

Mr. Miller was married May 29, 1853, to
to Miss Sarah Ann Winemiller, who was born
April 28, 1828, in the Cross Roads vicinity,
this township, daughter of Joseph and Mary
Magdalene (Souder) Winemiller, natives of
Hopewell township. Mrs. Miller died Jan. 12,
1894, in the faith of the Presbyterian Church.
Before her marriag-e she was a member of
Sadler's Lutheran Church. These children
were born to Mr. and Mrs. Miller : John C,
who operates the farm for our subject, mar-
ried Annie P. Miller; Joseph S., a doctor of
York City, married Miss Olivia Miller, of
Monkton, Md. ; William H., of York City,
married Miss Ella Eaulkner ; Salome A. M., is
at home ; Carrie died at the age of nine years ;
Neeley died at the age of six years; and Gi-an-
ville died in infancy.

In 1904 Mr. Miller, with his daughter
Salome, and a party of relatives and friends,
took a trip West, Mr. Miller stopping off at
Decatur, 111., to visit his nephew, D. A. Muffet,
whose place he had visited when a boy, while
the rest of the party continued on their way
to the St. Louis Fair.

DANIEL EBERLY, A. M., D. D., one
of the prominent clergymen of York county
and now a retired resident of Hanover, was
born on the old homestead farm, one-half mile
north of Shiremanstown, Cumberland Co.,
Pa., April 22, 1834. During his boyhood he
worked on the farm and attended the public
schools. On New Year's Day, 1852, he
started to attend college at Mt. Pleasant, West-
moreland Co., Pa., later entering Otterbein
University, Ohio, from which he graduated
with the degree of A. B. in 1858. He has also
pursued special studies in Brown University
at Providence, R. I., during the collegiate year
of 1855-56. He recited in the class of Intel-
lectual Philosophy under President Barnas
Sears, in which was Richard Olney, ex-Secre-
tary of State, and in the class in Logic, Rhet-
oric and English Literature, under Prof. R. P.
Dunn, was the late John Hay, Secretary of
State. After completing his education he en-
tered as a member the Pennsylvania Annual
Conference of the United Brethren in Christ,
and served congregations in the counties of



Cumberland, York and Adams, Pa., and Car-
roll, Md. He was also pastor of the Scott
Street United, Brethren Church in Baltimore,
Md., and later of Trinity United Brethren
Church in Lebanon, Pa. He was president of
the Cottage Hill Female College of York, Pa.,
from 1866 to 1872; and in 1872 was elected
president of the Otterbein University, Ohio,
but served only long enough 'to graduate oiie
class, resigning on account of his interests
in the East. He was professor of Latin Lan-
guage and Literature in the Lebanon Valley
College at Annville, Pa., from 1876 to 1884.
A few years later he was elected to the presi-
dency of the college, but on account of his own
business engagements did not accept.

During part of 1863 Rev. Eberly served
in the Union army, and since Dec. 2, 1875,
he has been chaplain of the 8th Pa. N. G., be-
ing in 1906 ranking state chaplain.

On Aug. 23, 1870, the Rev. Dr. Eberly
was married to Josephine Bittinger, only
daughter of William and Eliza (Hafer) Bitt-
inger, of Abbottstown, Pa. She was a woman
of splendid address, cultured, refined and affa-
ble in her ways. While on a visit to her par-
ents she took sick and died July 28, 1884, and
is buried in the cemetery of her native town.
Her father, William Bittinger, was a man of
great personal worth, and was held in high
esteem wherever known. He possessed great
financial ability, and during his life amassed
a large estate. He died in 1888, his wife sur-
viving until 1899. After the death of his wife
in 1884, Mr. Eberly lived with her parents un-
til their decease. In the spring of 1900 he
moved to Hanover, where he still resides. He
has no regular charge at present, but almost
every Sabbath preaches somewhere. He lec-
tures frequently, and is lecturer on the Philos-
ophy of History in the Lebanon Valley Col-
lege. In his position as chaplain he invariably
goes with the 8th Regiment when on duty in
the State.

Much of the time of Dr. Eberly is taken
up in the management of his farms and other
interests, which demand his attention. He
served as one of the three commissioners ap-
pointed to erect a monument at Hanover, Pa.,
to commemorate the battle of Hanover, fought
June 30, 1863, his associates in this work be-
ing Governor Pennypacker and' Col. John P.
Nicholson. The monument was dedicated
Sept. 28, 1905.



BIOGRAPHICAL



257



■ JACOB R. SPANGLER, AI. D, who has
dignified and honored his chosen caUing
through his able services, and whose vakie has
not fallen short of popular appreciation of a
representative character, is a man of high pro-
fessional attainments. He is a native son of
York county, and a scion of one of its old and
honored families. Dr. Spangler was born in
Jackson township, this county, Nov. 22, 1850,
son of Rudolph and Sarah (Harbaugh) Spang-
ler, both of German descent.

Henry Spangler, his paternal grandfather,
was one of the prominent and highly esteemed
pioneers of Jackson township, where he passed
the closing years of his life. He was a mem-
ber of Capt. Ament's company, of the Seventh
York County Battalion in the Revolutionary
war. An exhaustive genealogical record con-
cerning the Spangler family has been compiled
and published by Dr. Spangler's brother, E.
W. Spangler, and is a most valuable produc-
tion, being complete and accurate in the data
furnished.

Rudolph Spangler was born on the old
homestead farm, near Thomasville, Jackson
township, this county, June 27, 1800, his par-
ents having early settled in that locality.
He was a farmer and general business man,
and wielded much influence in his community,
where he w^as held in unqualified confidence
and esteem, while he was signally successful in
his efforts .and accumulated a competency. In
politics he was a Whig. He and his wife were
iDOth zealous and devoted members of the Re-
formed Church. He was a member of the
York Washington Artillerists from 1827 to
183 1. He died Sept. 30, 1851, and his wife
passed away in 1898, at the age of ninety-one
years. She was a daughter of Jacob and Mary
(Laucks) Harbaugh, and her grandfather was
Yost Harbaugh, numbered among the very
early settlers in what is now the county of
York, and he was a captain in active service in
the Revolutionary war. Mr. and Mrs. Spang-
ler became the parents of eleven children, and
of the number seven are living.

Dr. Jacob R. Spangler passed his youthful
years on the old home farm in Jackson town-
ship, while his rudimentary educational train-
ing was secured in the district school, after
which he continued his studies under most fav-
orable auspices in the York County Academy,
while later he became a student in the State
Normal School at Millersville. For a portion



of each of two years thereafter he was success-
fully engaged in teaching in the district schools
of his native county, and in 1871 he took up
the study of medicine, having as his preceptor
his brother. Dr. Benjamin L\ Spangler, who
was at that time engaged in practice in York,
Pa. After thus reading for about one year,
our subject entered Jefferson Medical College,
Philadelphia, where he was graduated as a
member of the class of 1874, receiving his de-
gree of Doctor of Medicine, and coming forth
well fortified for the active work and responsi-
bilities of his exacting profession. Immedi-
ately after his graduation he established an of-
fice in his present location on West Market
street, and in the intervening thirty years he
has built up and controlled one of the largest
and most representative practices in the city,
while his prestige stands in evidence of his abil-
ity, and also his hold upon the confidence and
esteem of the people of the community. The
Doctor takes great pride and satisfaction in
driving a good horse, being an able judge of
the noble animal and keeping several well bred
horses in his well appointed stables, while in
addition to his fine residence property he is the
owner of other valuable realty in the city of
York. He is a member of the York County
Medical Society, the Pennsylvania State Medi-
cal Society and the American Medical Associa-
tion, while he keeps in close touch with the ad-
vances made in both branches of his profession,
having recourse to the best standard and peri-
odical literature. In 1881 the Doctor served
as city physician, while he has twice been
elected a member of the city board of educa-
tion, from the Fourth ward. In politics he
gives an unqualified allegiance to the Repub-
lican party, and both he and his wife are valued
members of the Episcopal Church.

On Jan. 23, 1895, Dr. Spangler was
united in marriage to Miss Sarah Jane McFee,
daughter of James McFee, a prominent citizen
of Baltimore, Md., and of this union has been
born one son, James Henry, now a student in
the city schools.

HORACE M. ALLEMAN, M. D., of
Hanover, is a son of Dr. Horace and Rebecca
(Winnemore) Alleman, and was born at
Hanover, York Co., Pa., Feb. 19, 1863. He
received his early education in the public
schools, fitted for college at Baugher's Acad-
emv. and in 1881 entered Lafavette College at



258



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Easton, this State, from which he was gradu-
ated in the class of 1885. Shortly after grad-
riation, and in the same year, he entered the
]\Iedical Department of the University of
Pennsylvania, from which he was graduated
three years later in the class of 1888, and uii-
mediately returned to Planover for the prac-
tice of his chosen profession. He was suc-
cessful from the start has kept up with the
medical advancement of the times, and now en-
joys a very enviable practice. He is a member
of St. Mark's Lutheran Church. He is a
prominent Mason, belonging to Patmos Lodge
No. 348, at Hanover, and he also belongs to
Hanover Lodge, No. 763, Benevolent and Pro-
tective Order of Elks; and Hanover Lodge,
No. 327, Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
In politics he has always been an active sup-
porter of the Republican party and its prin-
ciples. He is interested in public affairs, yet
no politician, active in working for the supre-
macy of his party, but no office seeker. He
takes a special interest in the schools of Han-
over, like his father before him, and when
elected as school director in 1896, he accepted,
and has been serving in that capacity ever
since. He is now president of the board. De-
voted to his profession, he is progressive and
enterprising, a man abreast of the times and in
touch with the medical spirit of the age. He is
a member of York County ^Medical Society, and
also of the American Academy of Medicine.
In 1 89 1 Dr. AUeman wedded Cora Young,
a daughter of W. J. Young, of Hanover. Their
union has been blessed with one child, a son,
Winnemore.

Dr. Horace Alleman, the father of the
subject of this sketch, was one of the old phy-
sicians of Hanover, ' where he practiced for
nearly thirty years. He was born Jan. 18,
1824,' in Lancaster county, this State, son of
John and Elizabeth (Mackert) Alleman, the
former a native of Dauphin county, and the
latter of Lancaster county. The Allemans
are of German descent and were among the
early settlers and prominent people of Dauphin
county, where John Alleman was born in 1792.
He settled near Elizabethtown. Lancaster
county, and died there in 1866, and his wife,
who was born in 1797, preceded him to the
tomb by one year.

• Dr. Horace Alleman was reared on his
fathers farm, received his education in the



Emaus Institute and Pennsylvania College,
and read medicine with Dr. Nathaniel Watson
of East Donegal tov^aiship, Lancaster county.
He was graduated in the class of 1848, from
the Pennsylvania Medical College, now the
University of Pennsylvania, and practiced from
1848 to 1859 at Elizabethtown and Safe Har-
bor, in his native county. In the last named
year he came to Hanover, where he soon ob-
tained a good practice, and where he died Jan.
14, 1887. He was an Odd Fellow and a mem-
ber of St. Mark's Lutheran Church, and in pol-
itics was successively a Whig and a Republi-
can. At the time of his death he was burgess
of Hanover, in whose advancement he took
a great interest, especially in the public schools,
having served for many years as school di-
rector. Dr. Alleman was recognized as one
of the leading physicians of the county, and
had a lucrative and extensive practice. In 1847
he married Rebecca Winnemore, daughter of
Thomas Winnemore, of near Elizabethtown,
Lancaster county, and of the ten children born
to them five grew to maturity; John H., cash-
ier of the First National Bank of Hanover;
Agnes, a teacher in the public schools ; Jennie,
wife of J. J. Rohrbaugh, of Helena, Montana ;
Louise, wife of Edward Wentz ; and Dr. Hor-
ace M. Mrs. Alleman surviveid her husband
two years, dying Jan. 14, 1889, aged sixty-
five years, and the remains^ of both rest in Mt.
Olivet Cemetery.

DAVID HORN, who died June 2, 1905,
conducted a large and important business in



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 49 of 201)