Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 50 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 50 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


plumbing, gasfitting and steam-heating con-
tract work, in York, where he was known as
a reliable and straightforward business man.

George Horn, father of David, was a car-
penter by trade, and resided in York for many
years engaged in contracting and buildings but
lived retired for a number of years prior to his
death. He was a man of sterling character and
ever commanded the confidence and esteem of
all who knew him. He died in 1888, at the
age of seventy-nine years. His wife, whose
maiden name was Myers, was a member of
an old and prominent York county family. To
this worthy couple were born eight children,
viz. : One that died in infancy, unnamed ; Wil-
liam, who died in 1878, at the age of forty-six
years ; Julia, wife of Albert Gotwalt, who is
living retired in York; Amelia, the widow of



BIOGRAPHICAL



259



John Haner, and residing in the city of Balti-
more; Henry, a carpenter, residing in York;
Emma, wife of George Beri<heimer, member
of the York Fire Department; Annie, a resi-
dent of Brooklyn, N. Y., and David.

David Horn was born in York, May 14,
1846, and in his youth he duly availed himself
of the advantages afforded in the public schools
of York. After leaving" school he secured a
position in connection with the Adam Express
Company, and continued to be in the employ
of that company until 1862, when he signalized
his patriotism by going forth in defense of the
Union, enlisting for a term of nine months, in
Company K, 130th P. V. I., with which he
proceeded to the front, participating in the
memorable battles of Antietam, Fredericks-
burg and Chancellorsville, besides many skir-
mishes. At. the close of his term of enlistment
Mr. Horn received his honorable discharge and
then returned to York, where he became identi-
fied with the tinning and plumbing business, in
which line of enterprise he engaged on his own
responsibility in 1876. In 1892 he located in
the present commodious quarters, at Nos. 217-
219 West Market street, where he was at the
time of his death. He began operations on a
modest scale, and by energy, progressive meth-
ods and reliability he built up an extensive and
prosperous enterprise, and was considered one
of the pioneers in his line of business in the
city of York. He handled many large con-
tracts in plumbing, gas-fitting, steam and other
heating systems, tin roofing and spouting, and
general work along these important lines, while
among the more notable buildings which he
thus equipped may be mentioned the Security
Title & Trust building and the Wiest block.
He was held in high esteem in the business cir-
cles of his native city, was a member of the
Merchants' Association, and was a progressive
and public-spirited citizen. Fraternally he was
affiliated with Sedgwick Post, Xo. 37, G. A.
R., and the Master Plumbers' Association. He
had the distinction of being president of the
board of health of York. In politics he ac-
corded stanch allegiance to the Republican
party. He was a valued member of the Luth-
eran Church as is his widow.

In 1865 Mr. Horn was united in marriage
with Miss Sara A. Morningstar, daughter of
Michael Morningstar, superintendent of the
beautiful Prospect Hill cemetery, from the
time it was laid out until his death. Of the



ele\'en children born to our subject and his
wife, seven died in early childhood or infancy,
the four survivors being as follows : Samuel
H., an able assistant in his father's business,;
James B., a musician by profession, who re-
sides ill the city of Bradford, Pa.; Luther P.,
of Hanover, York county, where he is asso-
ciated in business affairs with his father-in-
law, who is the patentee and manufacturer of
the laraphone ; and Arthur H., a talented mu-
sician, and student of the piano in Stuart E.
Gipe's Academy of Music and Languages in
York, and is also a piano teacher.

DR. AARON MARTIX GOXTNER, a
physician and surgeon of prominence in York,
passed to his last rest May 16, 1903. He was
born in 1856, and was a graduate of the Jef-
ferson Medical College, at Philadelphia. He
practiced his profession with marked success,
for a period of twenty-six years, at York, and
at one time he was the physician for the York
county ahnshouse. His professional skill won
hnn a wide acquaintance, and he was beloved
for his sterling qualities of mind and heart.

On July 3, 1879, Dr. Gontner was married
to Sarah J. Keefer, daughter of Moses Keefer.
a contracting plasterer of York, where he died
when ]\Irs. Gontner was but two years of age.
She was reared and educated in York. To Dr.
and Mrs. Gontner were born children as fol-
lows : Mary Anna Roniain, who died Sept.
II, 1899, aged twenty years; De Etta Eliza-
beth, who died in 1887, aged seven vears;
Amanda Magdalene, who died aged twenty-
six days ; and Sarah Ellen and Rosa Mav, who
reside with their mother.

Dr. and Mrs. Gontner belonged to the
Trinity United Evangelical Church. In pol-
itical sentiment he was a Republican.

DR. JOSEPH H. BITTIXGER, phy-
sician and surgeon, was born near Hanover
Feb. 3, 1852. He is a lineal descendant of
Adam Bittinger ( Biedinger), who in 1736
emigrated from Alsace to America. He
landed in Philadelphia, and settled first in
Lancaster county, and in 1753 purchased a
tract of land three miles northwest of Hanover.
Adam Bittinger died in 1768, leaving a widow,
Sabina, and children as follows: Nicholas,
Henry, Michael, Peter. Marrilas. George,
Adam, Christian. Frederick and Eva.

Nicholas Bittinger. the eldest son, was



26o



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



a native of Alsace, grew to manhood in
America, and as early as 1743 was one
of the members of the council of the "Evan-
gelical Lutheran Church of the Conewago,"'
now St. Matthew's of Hanover. For a time,
when the church was without a pastor, he
was licensed by the Synod to read sermons
from the pulpit and conduct other religious
services. In 1775 he became a member of the
Committee of Safety of York county. He
served as captain in Col. McAllister's regiment
in the Flying Camp, during the Revolution,
participating in all the engagements under
Washington, in the campaign of 1776 around
New York City. At the battle of Fort Wash-
ington, in November, 1776, more than one-
half the company commanded by Capt. Bit-
tinger were killed, wounded or^ captured, and
he himself became a prisoner of war. being
held by the British in New York City for
several months. He was very successful in the
accumulation of property, and at the time of
his death, on May 2, 1804, owned several
good farms within six miles of Hanover, and
a number of choice tracts of land in Franklin
county. His remains were interred at Ab-
bottstown. He had a family of nine children,
two sons, John and Joseph, and seven daugh-
ters. One of his daughters married Major
John Clark, of York, a famous soldier of the
Revolution, who was a major in McAllister's
regiment, and afterward served on the staff
of Gen. Greene.

Joseph Bittinger, the great-grandfather of
the subject of this sketch, was born Feb. 26,
1773. In the year 1798 he became the owner
of a tract of land purchased by his grand-
father, Adam Bittinger, in 1753. He died
July 26, 1804, at the early age of thirty-one,
and left a widow and five sons, namely : John,
Joseph, Henry, Frederick and George. His
second son, Joseph,- the grandfather of Dr.
Bittinger, was born Nov. 13, 1794, married
Lydia Bear, of Hanover, in 181 9, and died
Sept. 27, 1850, on the old homestead of Adam
Bittinger, the immigrant. He left twelve chil-
dren, of whom William Henry, born in 1821,
died in 1879. Joseph, a graduate of Pennsyl-
vania College and Andover Theological
Seminary, became pastor of Presbyterian
churches in Cleveland, Ohio, and Pittsburg,
Pa., was a fine speaker, an elegant writer and
a doctor of divinity; he died in 1885, and his



remains were interred at Hano\'er. The other
children were: Ellen and Edward, who died
in Chicago ; Rebecca ; John ; Quiney, a grad-
uate of Dartmouth College and Andover
Seminary, pastor of a Congregational Church
at Haverhill, N. H. ; Daniel; Annie; Howard;
Nicholas; and Charles Lewis.

Dr. Bittinger grew to manhood on his
father's farm and obtained his education in
the public schools and Pennsylvania College,
at Gettysburg. He then taught school in
Illinois and Pennsylvania for five years. For
a time he was associated with his uncles in the
foreign and domestic fruit business in Chi-
cago, residing in that city when the de-
structive fire took place there, in 1871. The
following year he returned to his native State,
and began the study of medicine with Dr. A.
J. Snively, of Hanover. He entered Jefferson
Medical College, Philadelphia, and was grad-
uated in 1878 with a class many of whose
members have won distinction in their profes-
sion. He practiced medicine for two years in
Hanover, and then went to Philadelphia to
take advantage of the opportunities afforded
a young physician in a large city. In 1882 he
returned to Hanover, where he soon built up
a large and lucrative practice, and became one
of the leading physicians and surgeons in York
county. Dr. Bittinger has served for many
years as surgeon of the Pennsylvania Railroad
Company and the Western Maryland Railroad
Company. He is a member of the York Coun-
ty Medical Society, and of the State Medical
Society of Pennsylvania, which he has served
as vice-president, and has been a member of the
American Medical Association since 1881. He
is also one of the censors of the Medico-
Chirurgical College of Philadelphia.

In 1887 Dr. Bittinger assisted in organiz-
ing the Hanover and Littlestown Turnpike
Company, and has been its treasure;r since
1889. He was a director and also president
of the Penn Flouring Mill Company, of Han-
over, until it was disposed of to the Eastern
Milling and Export Company. In 1893 he
was one of the organizers of the People's Bank
of Hanover, of which institution he served as
first president, and then for several years was
vice-president of that institution. Owing to
the increased duties devolving upon a phy-
sician of large practice, he was compelled to re-
tire from the banking business to devote his



BIOGRAPHICAL



261



time to his profession. When Hanover needed
a larger water supply. Dr. Bittinger became
vice-president of the Consumers Water Com-
pany, which he and others organized in 1896.
He also served for several years as a director
of the McSherrystown Water Company. Dr.
Bittinger has been active in the public affairs
of Hanover, serving for a long time as school
director, and for two years as president of the
board. He was influential in securing the
State appropriation for the battle monument
at Hanover. The bill appropriating $7,500
for the monument was introduced into the
State Legislature by his brother, John R. Bit-
tinger, who was then a member of that body.
Dr. Bittinger is a member (and past master)
of Patmos Lodge, No. 348, F. & A. M. ; Good
Samaritan Chapter, No. 266, R. A. M. ; York
Commandery, No. 21, K. T. ; Hanover Lodge,
No. 327, I. O. O. F. ; and a member and one
of the trustees of Washington Council, No.
328, Patriotic Sons of America.

In 1882 Dr. Bittinger was married to
Clara E., daughter of Michael and Eliza
Bucher. They had seven children, five of
whom are dead: Eliza May, Bryant Henry,
Bertha, Clara and an infant. Those living are
Ralph Emerson and Mary A. Ralph is a stu-
dent at Worcester College, in Massachusetts.
The ancestors of Mrs. Bittinger were among
the early settlers in the western part of York
county. Her father, Michael Bucher, a man
of education and culture, for a period of half
a century was one of the leading citizens of
Hanover.

JOHN W. DEHOFF, M. D. Among the
able and popular physicians and surgeons of
the city of York is Dr. Dehoff, a disciple of
the Homeopathic School of Medicine, who has
been successfully established in practice in
York for nearly a decade and a half.

Dr. Dehoff is a native of Maryland, born
in Carroll county, June 20, 1848, son of John
and Susanna (Shamberger) Dehoff, both na-
tives of that same county and members of
families long ago founded on American soil.
The paternal grandparents of the Doctor were
Samuel and Catherine (Wheeler) Dehoff,
while Jacob Shamberger, his maternal grand-
father, was a native of New York State, of
German lineage, who removed to Marvland



in an early day and there passed the remainder
of his long and useful life.

John Dehoff, father of John W., passed his
life in Carroll county, Md., his active years
being devoted to farming. His death occurred
in 1867, while his wile :s still living in Carroll
county, Md. They became the parents of four
children, of whom two are living, Dr. Dehoff'
being the second in order of birth. John De-
hoff was a stanch Democrat in his political
faith, and a United Brethren in religious con-
nection. His widow is a Dunkard.

Dr. John W. Dehoff received his prelim-
inary educational training principally in the
common schools of Carroll county, ^Id., and
Manchester Academy, and later for a time
was a student in Irving College, at Manches-
ter, Md. At the age of twenty-four years he
began reading medicine under the guidance of
Dr. Malcolm McFarland, of Philadelphia,
and then he entered Hahnemann IMedical Col-
lege at Philadelphia, where he completed the
prescribed course and was graduated as a
member of the class of 1876, receiving the
well-earned degree of Doctor of Medicine.

Dr. Dehoff served his professional novitiate
in the town of Union Bridge, Md., where he
built up an excellent practice, continuing there
for a period of fourteen years. In 1890 he
came to York, where he has further added to
his professional prestige and met with most
gratifying success both in the volume and
character of his practice. For five years he
was Professor of Obstetrics in the Southern
Homeopathic Medical College, in Baltimore,
Md., while he is a valued and appreciative
member of the American Institute of Homeo-
pathy, as well as the Pennsylvania Homeo-
pathic State Medical Society. In a fraternal
way he is affiliated with Zeredatha Lodge, No.
451, F. & A. M. Both he and his wife are
active and zealous members of the Reformed
Church, being identified with Grace parish, of
which the Rev. E. E. Emhoff is the honored
pastor. For thirteen years the Doctor was
superintendent of the Sunday-school, and for
some years an elder. He is liberal in political
belief, and is known as a loyal and public-
spirited citizen, worthy of the high esteem and
confidence in which he is uniformly held.

On Mav 26, 1870. Dr. Dehoff was married
to Miss Charlotte E. Shc^wer, daughter of
Adam and ]\Iarv Ann ( Geiger) Shower, the



262



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



former being a merchant and manufacturer,
also Judge of the Orphans Court of Carroll
county, IVld. Mrs. Shower was a daughter
of Rev. Jacob Geiger, who was a prominent
and revered member of the clergy of the Re-
formed church, and also a physician, being the
first to practice homeopathy in the State of
Maryland. Of the children of Dr. and Mrs.
Dehoff, Mary Helen died aged twenty-one
months; Dr. John E. is a graduate of Frank-
lin and Alarshall College, Lancaster, Pa., and
the Southern Homeopathic Medical College,
and is now engaged in practice in York;
Leonora K. remains at the parental home, and
George W., a graduate of Mercersburg, and
the Southern Homeopathic Medical College,
Baltimore, class of 1905, is assistant to Dr.
Barnard in the Barnard Sanitarium, Balti-
more, Maryland.

WILLIAM CRONENWETT (de-
ceased). Although remembered chiefly for his
remarkable war record, William Cronenwett
was a business man of no mean ability, and
was the owner of much valuable real estate in
York. A native of Germany, born in Baden-
Baden, he came to America at the age of six-
teen years, locating first at Detroit, Mich.,
where he followed farming.

On the i6th of May, 1861, Mr. Cronen-
wett enlisted as a private in Company D, 4th
Mich. V. I., and served his country valiantly
until Nov. 17, 1865. He was engaged in both
battles of Bull Run, was at the siege of York-
town, before Richmond, at Malvern Hill,
South Mountain, Fredericksburg, Chancellors-
ville and Gettysburg. In the last named bat-
tle Mr. Cronenwett was shot through the right
leg. He was mustered out of service in April,

1864. On the 25th of September of the same
year, he was appointed a corporal in Company
E, 22d Regiment, Veteran Reserve Corps,
serving at Washington, D. C, Albany, N. Y.,
in Indiana, and at Columbus, Ohio. He was
finally mustered out at Camp Chase, Nov. 17,

1865, having participated in twenty-six en-
gagements.

After the close of the war ]\Ir. Cronenwett
located in York, Pa., and engaged in the coal
business, which he continued successfully for
sixteen years. He later located on his farm,
a valuable tract in York, southwest of Penn
Park. Here he lived retired ffir fifteen vears



prior to his death, which occurred Sept. 8,
1901, at the age of sixty-four years. His in-
terment took place at Prospect Hill cemetery.
Mr. Cronenwett was married, Jan. 18,
1866, to Sarah M. Fishel, daughter of Charles
and Elizabeth (Brillhart) Fishel. She died in
1893. One child was born to Mr. and Mrs.
Cronenwett, Mrs. Rebecca Elizabeth Irwin,
who is the mother of two girls, Edith Cronen-
wett and Elsie Maria, attending the York Col-
legiate Institute.

HENRY KELLER, of Lower Windsor-
township, was born on a farm near Yorkana,
Lower Windsor township, April 8, 1829, son
of George and Lydia (Will) Keller, both of
whom were likewise born and reared in York '
county, the father having- been born in 1809,
son of Peter Keller, a pioneer of York county,
and the mother in 1808.

George Keller devoted the major portion
of his life to agriculture, and was one of the
well known and influential citizens of his town-
ship, having owned many farms, and having
been prominent in local affairs. He was a
man of sterling rectitude,' so ordering his life
as to command the esteem of his fellow men.
His first wife, who was his devoted companion
during a married life of nearly a half century,
was summoned into the life eternal in 1875.
Following is a brief record concerning their
children: (i) Henry was the first-born. (2)
John, born Nov. i, 1833, married Angeline
Kline, and his death occurred in Lower Wind-
sor township. (3) George, born Feb. 5, 1836,
married Mary Ann Emenheiser, and they re-
side in East Prospect, this county. (4) Cath-
erine, born Jan. 23, 1840, is the wife of Will-
iam Shrenberger, and they reside in the State
of Nebraska. (5) Lydia, born Oct. 23, 1843,
became the wife of Samuel Ball, and is now
deceased. (6) Julia Ann, born May 2, 1845,
isthe wife of Benjamin Emenheiser, and they
reside in East Prospect. (7) Peter A., who
was born May 6, 1848, and served as a sol-
dier in the Rebellion, resides in the city of
York. He has been twice married, the maiden
name of his first wife having been Augusta
Fitzker. After the death of his first wife
George Keller was married to Miss Anna Nau,
who is still living, being now the wife of Jacob
Blessing, of Yorkana. To the second mar-
riage of ^Ir. Keller three children were born.



BIOGRAPHICAL



265,



their names, with respective dates of birth, be-
ing: Moses H., Sept. 4, 1877; James W.,
June 7, 1879; and Amanda C, Nov. 24, 1881.
The honored husband and father was called
to his reward in 1881, his death being the re-
sult of a stroke of paralysis.

Henry Keller was reared to the sturdy dis-
cipline of the farm, and agriculture has en-
grossed his attention from his boyhood days
to the present, save for a period of five years,
during which he was engaged in teaching-
school. He secured his early educational dis-
cipline in the common schools of his native
township, and was successfully engaged in
teaching for two years in the Prospect school,
for an equal interval in the Gilbert school, and
for one year in his home school. He has ever
been an avidious reader of good literature, and
has kept in touch with the c|uestions and events
of the day, being a man of broad information
and mature judgment. Of late years his hear-
ing has been somewhat seriously impaired, and
this fact has caused him to appreciate even
more fully the attractions of his books, which
he prizes as loyal friends, devoting much time
to reading standard and periodical literature.
As a teacher he recei\'ed twenty dollars a
month and no board, this being considered good
pay at the time. Mr. Keller has never used
tobacco or intoxicating liquors in any form,
and his entire course in life has been clean and
straight forward. It may be said that after
leaving the common schools he was- for eight
months a student in an academy in Lancaster
county, where he completed his technical or
specific schooling.

At the age of twenty-two years Mr. Kel-
ler located upon his present farm, and here he
has ever since maintained his home, much suc-
cess attending his well directed efforts. As a
boy he became a member of the Canadochley
Lutheran church, having been duly catechized
by the Rev. Jonathan Oswald, and both he
and his wife are still prominently identified
with this church. In politics Mr. Keller was
originally a Whig, but he has supported the
Republican party from the time of 'its organi-
zation to the present, save in one instance,
when he voted for the Prohibition party's can-
didate for governor. He has held various lo-
cal offices, including those of assessor, school
director, township supervisor, and election
clerk, and he has ever manifested a deep inter-



est in all that has touched the welfare of his
home county.

In 1853 was solemnized the marriage of
Mr. Keller to Miss Anna Eliza Kline, who was
born and reared in this county, being a daugh-
ter of Henry Kline. Of this union were born
twelve children, and the loved and devoted
mother was called to the life beyond at the
age of thirty-nine years. The children were;
Catherine Lydia, born Sept. 2, 1853, died Oct.
28, 1854; Eliza Jane, born Nov. 26, 1854,
died March 13, 1855; Annie Ellen, born
March 8, 1856, died on the 4th of the follow-
ing September; Henry Clay, born March 25,
1857, is a representative merchant in Wrights-
ville, this county; Millard Fillmore, born April
13, 1859, is a resident of Westchester, this
State; Emma Jane, born Dec. 3, i860, remains
with her father in the old home ; George Frank-
lin, born Feb. 5, 1862, died March 13, 1879;
Caroline, born Aug. 13, 1864, is the wife of
Moses Leiphart, of Lower Windsor township;
William Harrison, born Feb. 12, 1867, mar-
ried a Miss Graham, and they reside in
Wrightsville; Charlotte, born Oct. 21, 1868,
died March 31, 1870; Anna Rebecca, born
March 26, 1871, is the wife of George Roth
of Hellam township ; and James W^ashington,
born March 10, 1874, died March 13, 1878.
On Aug. 25, 1887, ]\Ir. Keller was married
(second) to Amanda C. Landis. daughter of
Jacob and Anna Mary (Wanbaugh) Landis.

ABSALOM MENGES, mill owner and
farmer in Jackson township, was born near
Berlin, York county, Sept. zt,. 1837, son of
Jacob and Catherine (Zinn) Menges.

The ]\Ienges family is an old and honored
one in -York county, where for many genera-
tions they have been connected with its busi-
ness and industrial interests. John INIenges,
grandfather of Absalom, was a farmer all his
life. He married Miss Lena Lau. and a large
family was born to them as follows : Jacob,
Peter, John, Daniel, Andrew, Solomon,
Samuel, George, Rebecca, Elizabeth, Leah,
Mar}' and Sallie. In religious belief the fam-
ily were Lutherans. In politics Mr. ]\Ienges
was a Democrat.

Jacob Menges was both a farmer and mil-
ler, owning a good farm in Codorus township.
There he died in 1869. aged se\-ent} - two. He
was a man of the strictest inteo-ritv in all his



264



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PEXXSYLVANIA



dealings, and was highl)' respected by all with
whom he came in contact. He was married
about 1824 to Miss Catherine Zinn, and a fam-
il}- was born to them as follows : Jonas, de-
ceased ; Jesse, deceased; Levi, deceased; Will-
iam ; Leah, widow of the late Heniy Renoll,
and a resident of Codorus; and Absalom. The
family- were Lutherans, and Mr. Menges was
a Democrat in politics, filling the office of
school director.

Absalom Menges received his education in
the public and subscription schools of York
count)', and remained at home until he was
eighteen years of age. He then spent a year
and a half with Emanuel Bollinger, learning
the miller's trade, in the course of which time



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 50 of 201)