Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 51 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 51 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


he also had many opportunities of observing
the methods of neighboring millers and learn-
ing thoroughly all the details of the business.
The young man soon mastered the trade, and
has followed it all his life in connection with
farming. Mr. Menges owns two farms in
Paradise township, and one in Jackson, aggre-
gating 200 acres. He has worked for a num-
ber of 3'ears and has been rewarded by his pres-
ent prosperous condition.

Li i860 Mr. Menges was married to Miss
Anna Hoke, daughter of Michael and Susanna
(Hershey) Hoke both natives of York county.
To this union twelve children have been born,
the following eight of whom are living: Sarah
E., who married Martin R. Berkheimer; ]\Iary
E., who married George Henise and has eight
children: Ada (married to Charles Shaeffer).
Paul, Annie, Mary, Florence, Harvey, George
and Arthur; Jacob G., who married Emma J.
Stambaugh, and has four sons and one daugh-
ter : Norman, Granville, George, John and An-
na; Anna J., who married George S. Bolling-
er, and has one child, Walter; Susan, wife of
Allen E. Jacobs, and mother of Ruth, Anna,
Amy and Robert; Jonas H., who married
Sarah Rudisill, who died leaving three chil-
dren, Harry, Myron and Corinne, and he mar-
ried (second) Mary A. (Snyder), wddow of
the late Allen C. Reynolds; Paul O., of the
class of 1905 in the law department of Dickin-
son College, Carlisle: and Luther A., a clerk
and stenographer at York. The family are
Lutherans.

Absalom Menges is an adherent of the Re-
puljlican ]wrty, but tlu ugh he is interested in
local affairs he is iK^t especially active in pol-



itics, and has never sought office. He is an
upright and able man, and as such is highly
respected in his locality.

MICHAEL HOSE. As a native son of
York county and a representative of one of its
sterling pioneer families, Mr. Hose is emi-
nently entitled to consideration in a compila-
tion which has to do with those who have been
the founders and builders of this section of the
old Keystone Commonwealth, while such is his
personal standing as a citizen and business
man that still further propriety is lent to a re-
view of his career in this work. He is an ex-
tensive manufacturer of cigars and cigar boxes
in Dallastown, while he also has other indus-
trial and capitalistic interests of importance,
being recognized as one of the able and sub-
stantial business men of the county which has
been his home from the time of his debut on
the stage of life.

On the old homestead farm, three miles
east of the city of York, in York township,
Michael Hose was born Nov. 13, 1853, son
of Michael and Sarah (Keesey) Hose, both
of Avhom were likewise born and reared in
York county, as were also their respective par-
ents, — statements which give pertinent testi-
mony as to the early establishing of both fam-
ilies in the county. It may be said incidentally
that the Hose family has been notable for
longevity, a conspicuous instance being that of
Deitrick Hose, grandfather of our subject,
who was one hundred and six years of age at
the time of his death. The family is of sturdy
Holland-Dutch extraction, and was founded
in America in the early Colonial epoch. The
father of our subject devoted the major por-
tion of his life to agricultural pursuits and was
one of the prominent and highly honored citi-
zens of York township, wielding marked in-
fluence in local affairs and commanding the
confidence and esteem of all who knew him.
He w-as a Republican in his political proclivi-
ties. He w-as a consistent and valued member
of the Lutheran Church, as was also his de-
voted wife. He was summoned into eternal
rest in 1886, and she passed away in 1871.
Thev became the parents of sixteen children,
of whom three are living, the subject of this
sketch and his two sisters, — Louisa, who is the
wife of Henrv Eberlv, of Yoe, this county;



BIOGRAPHICAL



^65



and Amanda, who is the wife of Michael
Schlog, of Windsor township.

Michael Hose, the subject of this sketch,
was reared to the sturdy discipline of the home
farm, in whose work he early began to assist,
while his educational training was secured in
the public schools, which he attended during
the winter months until he had attained the age
of sixteen years. In 1869, he entered upon an
apprenticeship to the trade of shoemaking, to
which he devoted his attention for two years,
after which he learned the carpenter's trade,
becoming a skilled workman and following the
trade as a vocation about eight years, within
which time he did much independent work as
a contractor and builder. In 1884 Mr. Hose
located in Dallastown, where he erected and
equipped a factory and engaged in the manu-
facture of cigar boxes, bringing to bear marked
and characteristic energy, enterprise and dis-
crimination, so that the business rapidly in-
creased in scope and importance, being now
one of the leading enterprises of the sort in
the county. In 1900 he also began the manu-
facture of cigars, making needed additions to
his plant and its equipment, and his factory
now represents one of the principal industrial
enterprises of Dallastown and of the county,
employment being afforded to about two hun-
dred persons, so that the concern has no slight
influence on the commercial precedence of the
town in which it is located. Mr. Hose is a
member of the directorate of the Drovers' &
Mechanics' Bank, of York, of the York &
Windsor Electric Light Co., and of the Farm-
ers' Canning Co., of Red Lion, Pa. ; and a
stockholder in the Dallastown Water Co., the
First National Bank, of Dallastown, and the
First National Bank of Red Lion, while he
also has other local interests which indicate to
how marked a degree he has identified himself
with the civic and industrial interests of his
native county. He is essentially progressive
and public-spirited, and in politics he is found
stanchly aligned with the Republican party,
while both he and his wife are valued mem-
bers, respectively, of the Lutheran and United
Brethren Churches in Dallastown.

On May 16, 1883, Mr. Hose married Miss
Mary Adelaide Keesey, who was born, reared
and educated in York county, daughter of Har-
rison and Caroline (Minnich) Keesey, well-
known residents of York township. To Mr.



and Mrs. Hose have been born se\-en children,
of whom four are living, namely : Emery
Michael, who is associated with his father's
business in Dallastown; and Quinton A.,
George H. and Violet, who are attending the
public schools of their home town.

PETER SIDLE is probably best known as
the proprietor of the "Palace Hotel" in Dills-
burg, York county, which has a reputation out
of the ordinary among tra\'elers, but among
the people of the town he is not only recognized
as an enterprising business man but also as
an able and good citizen. The period of his
residence there has been comparatively brief,
but as he has been inevitably identified with
public affairs and progress from the start he
is hardly thought of as a newcomer.

Mr. Sidle was born in Cumberland county,
Pa., May 7, 1847, son of Peter and Sarah
(Pollinger) Sidle. His father was a veterin-
ary surgeon of some renown, and was also
much relied upon as a physician and surgeon
in the treatment of human ailments. He spent
hs life near Bowmansdale, in Cumberland
county, and died there, and he and his wife are
buried at Filer's Church. They had children
as follows : Mary became the wife of W. A.
Gardner, a business man of Harrisburg; Lati-
more C. is deceased ; Lizzie, deceased, was the
wife of William McLaughlin; Peter is men-
tioned below; Barbara Ann married Jacob
Simonetti, a prosperous business man of Har-
risburg; Susan is the wife of Peter G. Bap-
tista, also a successful business man of Harris-
burg.

Peter Sidle was reared as a farmer-boy in
his native locality, and received his education
in the country schools. \\'hen he was sixteen,
in 1863, he engaged with his brother Latimore
in the lime business, in which they continued
until 1869, when Peter commenced butchering
at Lisburn, Cumberland county. He remained
in that line for ten years, at the end of that
time embarking in the wholesale and retail
provision business at Harrisburg. This ven-
ture proved profitable, and he carried it on
until he began the hotel business, in 1884. He
has ever since given his principal attention
to hotel-keeping, and his success is ample dem-
onstration of his fitness for it. His tirst hos-
telry was the "Father House," at Baltimore.
Md., which he kept for six years. In the fall



266



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



of 1890 he changed his location, and assumed
control of the "Carrolton Hotel" site, on Arch
street, Philadelphia, where he himself re-
mained two years. Then leaving that place
in the care of his son, John, he fitted up and
took charge of the "West Jersey Hotel," at
Camden, N. J., which he ran for seven years,
and which proved to be one of the most lucra-
tive investments he ever made. During his
stay in Camden he purchased the good will
and fixtures of the "Grand Hotel," at Harris-
burg, Pa., situated on Market street, and in
1899 he located in that city. In January, 1900,
-he first became identified with Dillsturg, at
that time purchasing the "Hotel Central," and
installing his son William as proprietor. How-
ever, he himself made a permanent location in
Dillsburg the same year, bought the site and
at once began the erection of his present mag-
nificent hotel, known as the "Palace Hotel,"
located at the corner of Baltimore and York
streets. The building is one of the best con-
structed and best equipped in all York county,
and no modern convenience that is a conven-
ience has been forgotten. The hotel has been
remarkabh' popular from the time it was
opened, for the travelers who came to Dills-
burg found that they could get the right sort
of entertainment at the house of "Pete"
Sidle. During his long experience in the busi-
ness he has become widely acquainted, and,
being by nature accommodating^, courteous and
genial, it is no wonder that he has made his
mark in his chosen line. As a side issue Mr.
Sidle for four seasons conducted the "Osborne
Hotel," at Atlantic City, N. J., and he had the
"Oceanic," at Barnegat City, N. J., three sea-
sons.

Before he had resided in Dillsburg long
enough to acquire a voting privilege Mr. Sidle
was nominated and elected councilman. His
reputation for progress and modern ideas had
preceded him, and the citizens felt the need of
the influence of such a man. in the council,
which at that time was divided on the water
question. The force of his personality was
soon felt, and the fine water system now in
operation in Dillsburg is in a large measure
due to his influence. He has served altogether
five years in the council, and has done much
good work, proving his interest in the welfare
of his adopted city in many ways.

Mr. Sidle married Miss Amelia Lutz, and



has three sons, namely: John P., William H.,
and Charles O. John P. Sidle is the owner and
proprietor of "The Grand" hotel, Nos. 314-
316 Market street, Harrisburg, and William
H. is the proprietor of Sidle's cafe. No. 141 5
North Third street, Harrisburg. Charles O.
is interested with his father in the "Palace Ho-
tel," of Dillsburg, Pa. All the sons are mar-
ried, John P. Sidle having married Miss Nellie
Kelly, of Philadelphia ; William H. Sidle mar-
ried Miss Pauline Freeland, of Dillsburg; and
Charles O. Sidle married Miss Nettie Snavley,
of Steelton.

Mrs. Sidle is peculiarly adapted to the ho-
tel business, and much credit is due to her for
the splendid management of the "Palace."
Mr. Sidle is a member of Columbus Lodge,
Knights of Pythias, of Baltimore.

REV. WILLIAM JOHN GRISSINGER.
After service in the ministry for thirty years,
during which time his labors took him over a
large extent of the country, made him ac-
quainted with people of high and low degree
and enabled him to do a vast amount of good,
the Rev. W. J. Grissinger, in 1904, gave up
his active church work, entering then into a
mercantile business in York, which he con-
tinued for eight months, and then retui^ned to
the ministry. Mr. Grissinger was born Jan.
16, 1844, in Huntingdon county. Pa., son of
Samuel F. Grissinger.

John Grissinger, the great-grandfather of
our subject, was born in Germany, and, in com-
pany with his cousin Steven, came to America,
the latter settling in Bucks county. Pa., while
Mr. John Grissinger settled in Lewisberry,
York county. Here John Grissinger followed
farming and died at the ripe old age of ninety-
eight years, being buried at St. John's ceme-
tery, and having at the time of his death 382
descendants, viz.; fourteen children; 138
grandchildren ; 242 great-grandchildren ; and
three great-great-grandchildren.

Adam Grissinger, the grandfather of our
subject, was born at Lewisberrj^, where he re-
ceived his education. He followed farming
near that place until the age of fifty-six years,
when his death occurred. His wife, Eva Fet-
row, died at the age of ninety two years, in
Fulton county, where she is buried. This
couple were the parents of these children :
Barbara married Charles Rhinehart ; Catherine



i



BIOGRAPHICAL



267



married Rev. Lauer, the United Presbyterian
clergyman, at Evansville, Ind. ; Rebecca mar-
ried Sam Gladfelter, of Fulton county ; Martha
died young; John F. married Margaret Mc-
Neal ; Samuel F. ; Martin F. married Julia Ann
Parks; Andrew G. married Rebecca Slates;
Daniel Levi married Isabella Foust.

Samuel F. Grissinger was born in 1823,
in Lewisberry, where he received a common-
school education. In 1843 he married Mary
McNeal of Huntingdon county. Mr. Griss-
inger owned a farm in this county of 140 acres,
near Three Springs, which he later sold. In
1870 he purchased a farm in Fulton county,
which he worked until his death in 1900, his
wife dying six months prior. Their children
were : William John; Martin A. died in 1886;
James Levi, living in Fulton county, married
Elizabeth Brightenstine, deceased; Margaret
Jane married Oliver Ezra Cook, a prominent
farmer at Cook's Station, Huntingdon county;
Mary Ellen married John Ehrenfield, whose
brother is the supervisor of a branch of the
Pennsylvania railroad at Crescent, Blair coun-
ty ; Rebecca E. married J. Franklin Pierce Mc-
Clain ; Julia Bell married C. H. E. Plumer, and
lives at North Point, Huntingdon county;
Rachel Alice died at the age of eighteen years ;
and Frances E. .Etta married John Ramsay,
and lives at Altoona.

William John Grissinger received his first
schooling in Huntingdon county, afterward
taking one term in a graded school under Pro-
fessor Miller. He then went to Millersville,
Lancaster county, for the terms of 1863-64, and
later taught school in Indiana. From there he
went to Illinois where he engaged in farming,
and was married at Mt. Carroll, 111., in 1865, to
Catherine Chitty, daughter of Benjamin and
Eliza (Templeman) Chitty. Here Mr. Gris-
singer followed farming for four years, and en-
gaged in well drilling for one year. In 1869
he located in Pennsylvania, and took up school
teaching, and in the following year his father
bought a store, in which the son clerked for
seven years. At the age of thirty years, Mr.
Grissinger began studying for the ministry, and
in 1876 was licensed and ordained a minister
of the Church of God. His first charge was at
Newport, Perry county, in 1876, \vhere he
served two years, and his charges were as fol-
lows : Clearfield Mission, at ciearfield, for one
year; Newville and Plainfield, Cuml.ierland



county, two years; Newport, for six months;
Goldsboro and Newberrytown, Yocumtown
and Smoketown, for three years; Landisburg.
three years; Elizabethtown, Lancaster county,
two years; Mount Joy, three years; Altoona,
four years ; Harrisburg, two years ; Goldsboro,
three more years, and in 1900 he took charge
of the West Poplar Street Church, where he
remained until 1904. On Feb. i, 1905, the
Rev. Mr. Grissinger engaged in the mercantile
business at No. 227 East Philadelphia street,
buying out the business of the Rex. Long, and
he continued in business until September of the
same year, closing out and returning to the min-
istry; his present charge is Hanover, York
count}^

To the Rev. Mr. Grissinger and his wife the
following children have been born : Samuel C,
who married Emma Cannon, of Highspire,
Dauphin Co., Pa. ; B. Frank, whose sketch will
be found elsewhere ; Clarence Rudolph ; Carrie
Alice Juanita, living at home; and Oliver L.,
engaged with his brother, B. Frank, and mar-
ried to Mabel A. Swartz.

FREDERICK STALLMAN (deceased).
Probably no man was better or more favorably
known to the people of York, Pa., than was the
late Frederick Stallman, father of the "Na-
tional Hotel," and the Masonic Hall, one of the
most extensive cattle dealers in this section of
the country, and a reliable and representative
citizen. His death, which came as a shock to
his great number of friends and acquaintances,
occurred at his home No. 106 West ^Market
street, York, at five o'clock in the morning of
Feb. 27, 1890.

Mr. Stallman was born Dec. 26, 1820. at
Hanover, Germany, and came to the United
States when he was ten years old. He learned
the butchering business, in which he became
so successful, shipping large numbers of cattle
to Europe. He bought very extensi\-ely in the
South, driving his herds to the Northern mark-
ets. Mr. Stallman had the distinction of be-
ing one of the first to ship cattle from Balti-
more to York by rail, and no man in the East
was better known in his line of business. !Mr.
Stalhnan was the father of the well known
"National Hotel'' of York, which he purchased
in 1863, when it was the "Tremont House." re-
niodeling and enlarging it. In 1863 he built
the ^.lasonic Hall, located on North Beiver



268



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



street, which is still used by that order, Mr.
Stallman having sold it to the fraternity. Mr.
Stallnian was a Mason and at his death this
order conducted his funeral.

In 1863, when General Early, with the" ad-
vance of Lee's army, captured York, Mr. Stall-
man was one of the leading citizens. When
Early made a demand for $100,000, the sum
of $28,000 was raised by the citizens before the
Confederate force was recalled toward Gettys-
burg. Daniel Hartman, Frederick Stallman,
and a third citizen, whose name is not recalled
counted out the money that had been collected
by the citizens, in the presence of Gen. Early
at his headquarters in the sheriffs office in the
County Court House.

]\Ir. Stallman was first married to Miss
Jane ]\Ietzel, daughter of Thomas Metzel, who
died in middle life. Mr. Stallman married
(second) Nov. 13, 1861, Miss Priscilla Gil-
berthorpe, daughter of William Gilberthorpe,
and she survives, living at No. 2 South Beaver
street, York. ^

PETER A. ELSESSER is to be individ-
ually considered as one of the representative
citizens and business men of York, where he is
incumbent of the office of secretary and treas-
urer of the Martin Carriage Works, and, in a
more abstract sense, as a member of a family
whose name has been honorably linked with
the history of this section of the State for
many decades.

Mr. Elsesser was born near Hanover, this
county, April 14, 1867, son of Lawrence G.
and Anna (Zortman) Elsesser, both of whom
were born and reared in York county, the for-
mer being a son of Michael Elsesser, and the
latter a daughter of Peter Zortman, both of
whom were sterling pioneers. The parents of
our subject now reside in the city of York, the
father being retired from active business. The
major portion of his active career was devoted
to general trading. This honored couple
became the parents of twelve children, of
whom Peter A. was fourth in the or-
der of birth ; John died in early child-
hood, and Emma at the age of six months,
as a result of an accident, having been severely
scalded. The surviving children are as fol-
lows : Harry F. is a painter and paper hanger
by vocation; William D. is a resident of Min-
neapolis, Minn. ; Lillie is the wife of Wesley



Brubaker, a member of the fire department at
Atlantic City, N. J. ; Augustus A. is a cigar
manufacturer of Abbottstown, Adams county;
Sarah A. is the wife of Prof. S. P. Duggan,
Ph. D., of New York City; Edward is mana-
ger of the Safety Storage Company of York ;
Alverta E. is the widow of Robert L. Ketter-
man, who was employed in the Martin Car-
riage works; Jennie is the wife of George W.
Myers, who is employed at the Martin Car-
riage Works; Catherine remains at the paren-
tal home; and Peter A.

Peter A. Elsesser completed the curriculum
of the public schools and then became a stu-
dent in the Normal School at East Berlin, Pa.,
while later he continued his studies in the York
County Academy. After leaving the academy
he turned his attention to teaching in the pub-
lic schools of Adams county, being thus en-
gaged about one year, after which he passed
three years in traveling through the West, as
salesman and collector for an extensive shirt
manufactory. He then returned to York
county, and for two terms was a successful and
popular teacher in the public schools of Emigs-
ville. In 1892 he accepted the position of
stenographer in the office of the Martin Car-
riage Works, and about two years later he was
made general manager, while in 1900 he as-
siuned the office of secretary of the company,
in which he is now a stockholder, and in 1903
in addition to all his other responsibilities he
was made treasurer as well as secretary. He
is also president of the York Safety Storage
Company.

In politics Mr. Elsesser is independent, and
fraternally he is a prominent and appreciative
member of the Masonic order, being 'affiliated
with Zeredatha Lodge, No. 451, F. & A. M. ;
Howell Chapter, No. 199, R. A.- M. ; Gethse-
mane Commandery, No. 75, K. T. ; Zembo
Temple, of the Mystic Shrine, in Harrisburg,
where he is a member of the Consistory' of the
Ancient & Accepted Scottish Rite Masonry.
He also holds membership in the Knights of
Pythias Lodge in York. Both Mr. and Mrs.
Elsesser are zealous and valued members of
St. Matthew's Lutheran Church, in which he
has been a deacon since 1902, while he is the
able and honored teacher of the Bible class in
the Sunday school, said class having started
with eleven members, in 1898, and now num-
bering 115 members. In 1902 Mr. Elsesser



I



BIOGRAPHICAL



was elected president of the York Y. M. C. A.,
and was chosen as his own successor in 1903,
1904 and 1905. He is deeply interested in re-
ligious work, and is a strong factor in the
busines and social life of the community, where
his circle of iriends is circumscril)ed only by
that of his acc]uaintances.

Oh Jan. 26, 1893, was solemnized the mar-
riage of Mr. Elsesser to Miss Lizzie E. Rut-
ter, daughter of Samuel Rutter, a prominent
farmer near Emigsville, this county, where, on
the old homestead, Mrs. Elsesser was born and
reared. Mr. Elsesser was one of the organ-
izers of the Royal Fire Company, of wdiich he
was the first treasurer, holding that office con-
tinually until the present time, and he has also
been a trustee from the organization to the
present. There is no other man of his years
in York who has done more in public matters
and in directing educational, church and Y.
M. C. A. work than Peter A. Elsesser.

ROBERT COLVIN WISE, of Lower
Chanceford township, York county, was
born Nov. 5, 1834, on wdiat is now the Sam-
uel Stokes farm in that township, son of Sam-
uel and Ann (Colvin) Wise, and grandson of
Henry Wise.

Henry Wise was a blacksmith by trade, and
followed his profession in Chanceford town-
ship, where he owned and operated a farm.
He married a Miss Shaull, who lived to be 100
years old, and they were the parents of these
children: John; Samuel; Jacob; Phihp;
Joseph ; Henry ; Betsy, who married a Mr. Mc-
Alister ; Pollie, who maried Mr. Curran ; Kate,
who married Mr. Ellis ; and Andrew.

Samuel Wise was born in Chanceford
township, where he received a common school
education and follow^ed farming all of his life.
When our subject was a year old, the father
rented the Hugh Ross farm, and from there
went to the William Grove farm, where he
stayed two years, then spent four yqars on the
McCall farm, four years on the Samuel Stokes
farm, and then located on the William Gem-
mell farm, wdiere he remained for eleven years.
He next bought the farm upon which Robert
C. Wise nowr resides, where he lived until his
death. Mr. Wise and his wife, who had been



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 51 of 201)