Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 52 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 52 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Ann Colvin, were members of the Chanceford
Presbyterian Church, in which faith they died
on their farm. In politics Mr. Wise w-as a



Democrat. These children were burn to this
worthy couple: Sally, who died at the age
of seven years; Robert C. ; William, a larmer,
who married a Miss Glenn, and died in Lower
Chanceford township; James, who married
Annie Mcllvane; Ann Elizabeth, who married
Gibson Martin, deceased.

Robert Colvin Wise attended the common
schools of the township, his first schooling be-
. ing received at Cherry Hill school under
Thomas McKinnon, and finished at Chanceford
school, at the age of twenty years, under George
Campbell. In the summer Mr. Wise worked
on the farm for his father. As a boy Mr. Wise
went to the Sabbath-school, and at the age of
twenty-three years joined the Lower Chance-
ford Presbyterian Church, of which he has
been a devout member ever since. In his youth
he taught a class in the Sabbath-school At
the death of his father Mr. Wise inherited the
home farm and here he has since been engaged.

On Jan. 24, 1866, Mr. Wise was married
by the Rev. Mr. McBirney to Miss Marv Ann
Martin, at his bride's home in- Airville. ' Airs.
Wise was born Nov. 22, 183 1, in Hopewell
township, daughter of Andrew and Jane (Gib-
son) Martin, the former of whom was a
farmer, wdio had been reared near Center
Church, Hopewell township, where he owned
a farm, which he sold in 1838, and bought a
farm, upon part of which Air\'iIIe now stands.
This farm of 180 acres, he divided and sold off
in building lots. Here he died in his seventy-
second year, while his wife died some years
later, being at the time of her death seventy-
two years old.

To Mr. and Mrs. Robert C. ^^■ise the fol-
lowing children have been born : William G. :
Samuel A., born Jan. 20, 1868, married Janet
Warner, and they reside at Collins\-ilIe. and
have five children, Chester, Beulah, Samuel
Ross, Robert Norris and Sterl. Warner: Ira B..
born Aug. 25, 1870, married Miss ]\Iattie L.
Tosh, and has four children, Anne Janet, Ira
F., Goldie May and Samuel Amos. Mr. ^^'■ise
has been a lifelong Democrat, and has been
school director two terms, and has also held
the offices of auditor and treasurer.

THEODORE F. GIVLER, now living re-
tired in York, Pa., was born Feb. 2-^, 1844, in
Cumberland county. Pa., son of Benjamin and
Isabella (McLaughlin) Givler.



270



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PEXXSYLVANIA



Benjamin Gi\-ler was a son of parents who
came from Germany to Cumberland county
after a season in Lancaster county, Pa. By
trade Benjamin Givler was a miller, and prior
to 1S44 he operated the mill back of Carlisle,
later moved to the Silver Springs mill, and
still later lived near Kingston. In early life he
was connected with the Presbyterian Church,
but afterward united with the Lutheran
Church. .He died in 1865, aged nearly
sixty-eight years, and his wife passed
awaV in August of the same year, at
about the same age. Of their eight
children, two died in infancy, and the
others were; Thomas, a retired resident of
jNIechanicsburg ; Austin, residing in Cumber-
land county; Benjamin, a miller near Shire-
manstown, Cumberland county; Isabella, wife
of Theodore Heagy, of Peabody, Kans. ; Theo-
dore F. ; and William, lieutenant of Company
F, 130th P. V. I., who was killed at the battle
of Antietam, in 1862.

Until the age of sixteen years, Theodore
F. Givler remained in Cumberland county, and
then came to York county to learn the milling
business with his brother Austin. While still
an apprentice, in 1864, he enlisted in Com-
pany E, 200th P. V. I., and served until mus-
tered out in May, 1865, participating in the
battles in front of Petersburg and at Fort
Steadman, being at the front during the great-
est part of his term of service.

After returning from the army, Mr. Givler
spent some four years with his brother Austin,
and they purchased a mill, but in 1869 he came
back to York county and took charge of the
Hoops mill, which was the property of his
father-in-law. Wain Hoops. This mill he
operated for thirteen years, until 1883, one of
the most satisfactory mills in Washington
township. In 1884 he moved to Hall, and in
the spring of 1890 he took charge of the store
at that point, and during his four years there
was postmaster. Since then Mr. Givler has
lived retired. During his active years he took
much interest in politics, is a strong supporter
of the Republican party, and has served as jus-
tice of the peace in Washington township, and
as a member of the school board.

On Aug. I, 1869, Mr. Givler married Miss
Lucinda Hoops, daughter of Wain and Sarah
Ann (Leach) Hoops. Three children have
been born to them: George W., a grocer at



No. 145 North Newberry street, York; Charles
A., who has a dry goods store at Nos. 105-107
South George street, York, Pa. ; and Theodore,
who died in chddhood.

JACOB T. SMITH, a retired farmer of
Washington township, York county, was born
April 19, 1833, in bhrewsbury township, son
of John W., and grandson of Anthony Smith.

Anthony Smith was a prominent farmer of
Codorus township, who married a member of
the old Werner family. He died in Washing-
ton township, aged seventy-six years, and was
buried at Red Run Church. His children were : >
Anthony; Elizabeth, who married John Wei- ^
gond; Johh W., father of Jacob T. All be-
came well known and respected residents of
Washington township.

John W. Smith was born in Codorus where
he spent his early life. He married Hannah
Thoman (a complete history of the Thoman
family will be found elsewhere), who died aged
fifty-six years. The) - had children as follows:
John, who died near Clear Springs, York
county, married Anna Hollinger ; Jacob T. ;
Elizabeth married Aaron Urich and died in
York county ; and Jesse, who died on the home
farm in Washington township, married Caro-
line Hollinger. John W. Smith, the father, was
a miller by trade, and owned a mill property
of sixty acres in Shrewsbury township, where
he also engaged in farming until 1840, when
he settled in Washington township, and there
bought a farm of 270 acres. In 1857 he erected
new buildings and made many improvements,
later dividing his large estate into two farms.
He lived retired a few years before his acci-
dental death, which came from the effects of a
fall from a hay mow, when seventy-two }'ears
of age. Both he and his wife are buried at Red
Run Church, where they had membership. He
had contributed liberally to the erection and
support of this church, and he was a well-
known and'highly respected citizen.

Jacob T. Smith spent his school days in
Codorus and Washington townships, being
seven years old when he came to the latter.
He remembers attending school in an old log
schoolhouse near his home, in which the Dun-
kards also held religious services. After he
completed his schooling he assisted his fatlier
at home and in 1862 he bought the farm. In
1880 he built a handsome brick residence which



BIOGRAPHICAL



271



is now owned by his son, John C, who pur-
chased the farm from his father. Our subject
stiU owns the adjoining farm, on wliich he re-
sided for six years. Since the death of his
wife he has made his home around with his
children.

In 1859 Mr. Smith was united in marriage
with Catherine HoHinger, daughter of George
and Elizabeth (AsperJ Hollinger. The fam-
ilies are closely connected, three Smith brothers
marrying three Hollinger sisters. Mrs. Smith
died in 1903, aged sixty-six years, and was laid
to rest in the cemetery at Red Run. Their
children were : Annie, who died aged twenty-
nine years; George W., a resident of Harris-
burg, who married Amanda Spangler; Cath-
arine, who married John W. Slothower, of
Lemoyne. Cumberland county; John Calvin,
a prominent farmer of the township, now serv-
ing as school director, who married Emma C.
Kinnel ; Jacob H., who married Margrete E.
Shultz, and is engaged in civil service as mail
carrier in Harrisburg, near Hall ; and Jonas A.,
who married Mary Bear, and is engaged in the
grocery business in Lemoyne. There are six-
teen grandchildren.

Mr. Smith is a man of marked intelligence,
one who keeps thoroughly posted in all cur-
rent events, and spends much of his time per-
using the best literature of the day. In spite
of his seventy-three years he enjoys good
health, his only complaint being failing eye-
sight. He has served in a number of local offi-
ces, in 1880 being tax collector and later was
both assistant assessor and assessor. On ac-
count of his sterling character he has, upon
many occasions, been chosen as administrator
of large estates in York count}', which have
been settled in a manner satisfactory to all con-
cerned.

FRANKLIN LEADER, secretary of the
Freystown Mutual Fire Insurance Co., with
headquarters in the city of York, is a represen-
tative of a family whose nahne has been inti-
mately linked with the history of York county
* since the early pioneer epoch.

His great-grandfather in the agnatic line
was a prominent farmer of Hopewell township,
as was also the latter's son, George Leader,
grandfather of our subject.

George W. Leader, son of George and
father of Franklin, is now living retired in the



city of York, his active career having been de-
voted principally to wagon making. His wife,
whose maiden name was Fanny i\ewcomer, is
a daughter of Abraham Newcomer, an influ-
ential larmer near Mountville, Lancaster coun-
ty, where the family has long been one of
prominence and no little distinction in indus-
trial and civic affairs. George W. and Fanny
(Newcomer) Leader became the parents of five
children, namely : Elizabeth and Ella, who re-
main at the parental home; William H., who is
identified in an executive capacity with the
York Telephone Company; Emma, wife of
George Bailey, of York, her husband having
been a soldier in the regular army and being
now retired; and Franklin.

Franklin Leader was born in iNIount Joy,
Lancaster county. Pa., May 11, 1855, and when
he was about three years of age his parents re-
moved thence to West Manchester township,
York county, in whose public schools he se-
cured his early educational discipline, after
which he continued his studies in the Pennsyl-
vania State Normal School at Millersville,
where he remained as a student for thirteen
weeks. After leaving the Normal he put his
scholastic acquirements to practical test by
engaging in teaching in the public schools of
York county, proving successful in his peda-
gogic endeavors, and continuing to devote his
attention to this profession for ten and one-
half terms. In 1897 he was elected justice of
the peace of Spring Garden township, for a term
of five years, during which he served with
marked discrimination and acceptability. He
was appointed May 7, 1902, notary public. On
June 13, 1904, Mr. Leader was elected to his
present responsible position as secretary of the
Freystown Mutual Fire Insurance Company,
whose interests are well entrusted to his ad-
ministrative care.

His uncle, John Stough, was county treas-
urer of York county, an.d another uncle, Wil-
liam Roberts, sei-ved a term as treasurer of
Lancaster county, while Mr. Leader himself
served fourteen months in 1899 and 1900 as
deputy treasurer of York countv under ^^'. J.
Bush.

In his political allegiance Mr. Leader is
identified with the Democracy and he has been
an active worker in the local ranks of the party.
He is affiliated with the Junior Order of
United American Mechanics : the Improved



2^2



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Order of Red Alen and the degree of Poca-
hontas, with which latter his wife also is iden-
tified; while he also holds membership in the
Spring- Garden Relief Association, of which he
has been secretary for nearly a quarter of a
century; in the Pennsylvania Agricultural
Works Beneficial Society; and the Good Will
Fire Company, of York, of which he is presi-
dent.

Mr. Leader has been twice married. In
1879 he wedded Miss Emma Wanbaugh,
daughter of Michael Wanbaugh, of Spring
Garden township, and she was summoned to
the life eternal in 1891, at the age of thirty-
two years, having borne three children, namely :
Michael W., who died at the age of twenty-
two years ; Margaret Elizabeth, who is the wife
of Elwood Washers, of York; and Fanny
Irene, who remains with her father. On Christ-
mas day, 1893, Mr. Leader consummated a
second marriage, being then united to Miss
Mary E. Landis, daughter of Henry S. Landis,
a representative farmer of Stony Brook, where
she was reared and educated. Mr. Leader is
well and favorably known in York county, is
a progressive and reliable business man, and
both he and his wife enjoy marked popularity
in the social circles of the community.

DAVID STONER DETWILER, a well-
to-do cigar manufacturer and prominent citi-
zen of Wrightsville, has passed his entire life
in the neighborhood of that town.

Joseph Detwiler, his grandfather, was a
native of Lancaster county. Pa., where he grew
up and where he married Susan Garber. In
1820 they moved to York county, settling on
a farm in Hellam township, near Wrightsville,
which remains in the family to this day. Mr.
Detwiler built the barn which now stands on
the farm, and enlarged the original house,
which is still occupied by his descendants. He
and his wife both passed away at their home
on this farm where so much of their lives had
been spent. He was an active Democrat all
his life, and he served many years as a school
director, a number of years as pike supervisor,
and one term as county commissioner of York
county. The children of Joseph and Susan
(Garber) Detwiler were as follows: David,
father of David Stoner ; Joseph, married to
Miss Sherk, who died in Mt. Joy, Lancaster
county ; Miss Susan, who lives in York ; Dan-



iel, of Columbia, married to Laura Sanderson,
of Williamsport ; Solomon S., organizer of the
First National Bank of Columbia, of which
he was cashier until his death, and married to •
Katherine Redsecker; and Annie, married to
Abraham Heistand, of York.

David Detwiler, father of David Stoner,
was born in January, 18 18, on the Lancaster
Pike, near Columbia, Lancaster county. When
he was two years old his parents moved to the
homestead near Wrightsville, and there he
grew up, working on the farm and attending
the neighborhood schools. After the death
of his father he carried on the home farm, and
lived there until 1879. He then built the house
which is the present home of his daughter,
Mrs. George Graybill, and there resided until
his death, Dec. 14, 1898. Like his father, Mr.
Detwiler was all his life a Democrat, and
served as one of the school directors in Hellam
township for many years. He succeeded his
father as turnpike supervisor, and held the
position for twenty-five years. His wife,
Sarah Stoner, was born in Hellam township,
Feb. 6, 1829, daughter of Henry and sister of
Emanuel Stoner, of Hellam township. Her
death occurred in December, 1901, three years
after that of her husband. They had the fol-
lowing children : Paul, of Wrightsville ; Anna,
Mrs. George Graybill, of York ; David Stoner ;
and Ella K., widow of Dr. G. A. Rebman, of
Wrightsville.

David Stoner Detwiler was born on the
home farm adjoining the town of Wrights-
ville Jan. II, 1856. He grew up a farmer boy,
but attended school regularly until he was
nineteen years old. His first teacher was Wil-
liam Levergood; in Hellan township he came
under the instruction of Col. Frank J. Magee,
and he attended the Millersville Normal
School during the years 1874 and 1875. After
leaving school Mr. Detwiler passed a few
years at home on the farm, and in 1881 began
business as a cigar manufacturer and dealer
in leaf tobacco in Wrightsville. His factory
is in the building on Front street, formerly
used by William McConkey as a grain ware-
house. He buys as much as $50,000 worth of
leaf tobacco a year, and the yearly output of
his factory for some years has been 4,000,000
cigars. He has other business interests in
Wrightsville, and has been a director in some
of tlie larger concerns. He sfives a sreat deal




A^ ^^x5>^^[>-^.^^



I



BIOGRAPHICAL



273



of attention to his farming interests in Hellam
township.

On Oct. 12, 1886, Air. Detwiler married
Matilda G. Kerr, daughter of ' Wilham H.
Kerr, of Wrightsville, a sketch of whom ap-
pears fohowing. Two children have been
born of this union : Helen B. and Reba May.
In politics, like his forefathers, Mr. Detwiler
is a Democrat. His first presidential vote was
cast in 1876 for the Democratic candidate. He
has served as chief burgess of the town, his
term expiring in March, 1903. He is one of
the directors of the First National Bank of
Wrightsville. Although brought up in the
Lutheran faith, he attends the Presbyterian
Church with his wife.

WILLIAM H. KERR, a son of Matthew
Kerr, Sr., is a prosperous citizen of Wrights-
ville, where he has passed his entire life.

Mr. Kerr was born Oct. 19, 1828, on the
family place which he now owns, situated in
the rear of his present home. He obtained his
education in the common schools of Wrights-
ville, and at eighteen began work as mate on
the canal boats plying between Wrightsville
and the eastern and western shores of Mary-
land along Chesapeake Bay. He rose to the
position of captain of a boat owned by William
A. Wilt, of York, and later was captain for a
number of years on boats owned by his father
and his brother, James L. Kerr. He then pur-
chased an interest in the lime business of his
father, and continued with the firm through
all its changes until the business passed into
the hands of the next generation. The firm,
at first, Matthew Kerr & Son, became James
L. Kerr & Company ; passed successively as
Robert W. Kerr & Company, James L. Kerr
& Company, Kerr, Cook & Co., James L. Kerr
& Co., and finally Kerr Brothers, under which
name it is carried on at present by the grand-
sons of Matthew Kerr, Sr.

Mr. Kerr married in Wrightsville, in 1850,
Eliza Beaverson, a native of Hellam township,
and a daughter of Henry Beaverson, who was
also born in Hellam township, where he was
well-known as a boat man, and as a tobacco
grower. Mrs. Kerr died at the family home
in 1897. She was the mother of the following
children : Kate and Sarah, unmarried : Ger-
trude, INIrs. John S. ]\Iusser, of Harrisburg;
Harrv, who is mentioned elsewhere ; JNIatilda,



]\Irs. David Stoner Detwiler, of Wrightsville;
Sewall B., at home ; Eliza, Mrs. Paul Alcjun-
kin; and several others who died in iniancy.

Mr. Kerr attends the Presbyterian Church,
of which his wife was a member. He has al-
ways been a Democrat, and he cast his first
vote for President Polk. He has served as
chief burgess on the town council for several
years, and has been a school director for some
time. He is one of the directors and vice pres-
ident of the Wrightsville Bank. Fraternally
he belongs to Riverside Lodge, No. 503, F. &
A. M.

WILLIAM G. KIMMEL, of Warrington
township, York county, who is making his
home at Mount Top, was born July 3, 1835, in
Washington township, son of David and Eliz-
abeth (Gensler) Kimmel, grandson of David
fnd great-grandson of Nicholas Kimmel.

The Kimmel family in Pennsylvania de-
scended from German ancestry and it is record
ed that there were three brothers, who came
from Germany, one of whom was the pro-
genitor of the branch of the Kimmel family
herein mentioned.

Nicholas Kimmel, the great-grandfather,
was bom, says tradition, in Lancaster county,
but he settled in York county at an early date.
He was a farmer, and cleared and improved the
farm now occupied by Cleason C. Kimmel,
the son of our subject, which the latter owns.
Here Nicholas Kimmel lived all of his life, and,
it is believed, he was buried on the farm. His
wife's name is not known, but among the
children born to the couple were : David,
grandfather of our subject; Timothy; Joel;
and several others, whose names cannot be
learned. In religious belief they were German
Baptists.

David Kimmel, the grandfather, was born
in \\^ashington township, and became a farmer,
owning a part of the farm which is now owned
b}' Cleason C. Kimmel, and which is located in-
what is called the Barrens. He became cjuite
a prosperous farmer, and lived many years on
the above mentioned property, and also in-
herited a farm from his father, upon which he
died in 1845, aged eighty years. He married
]\Iagdaline Wiley, and she bore him these chil-
dren : John, George, David. Jacob, I\Irs. Eliza-
beth Larue, Mrs. Sally Harbold. ]\Irs. Harriet
Wolfe, Mrs. Leah Best and ]\Irs. Susan \\^on-



274



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



ders. The family wtre German Baptists. In
his pohtical views j\Ir. Kimmel was a Demo-
crat.

David Kimmel, father of our subject, was
also born in Washington township, and hke
his forefathers, was a farmer all of his life.
He acquired two good farms, and at the time
of his death was considered quite Avell-to-do.
He and his wife were the parents of fourteen
children, namely: Magdaline, who married
Joseph Speck; Mary A., who married John
Straley; Philip; William G. ; John; Samuel;
Eliza, who married Henry Keeney; Jesse;
Joseph; Rebecca, who married Conrad Ho-
baugh: Daniel, deceased; Frederick, deceased,
and two that died in infancy. Mr. Kimmel
died in 1868, in the faith of the German Bap-
tist Church, while his wife passed away in her
seventieth year.

William G. Kimmel was born in Washing-
ton township, and received his education in the
common schools of his day. He also attended
the Whitehall Academy, an institution now de-
funct, which was located in Cumberland coun-
ty, and after graduating, he began school
teaching, which he followed until he was thirty-
two years old. He then turned his attention
to agricultural pursuits, and up to the present
time he has accumulated three good farms, lo-
cated in Warrington township, and Washing-
ton township. Mr. Kimmel has met with much
success due to his industry.

On Nov. 18, 1866, Mr. Kimmel married
Mary A. Defter, daughter of John Detter. She
w-as born in Washington township, where she
received her education in the district schools.
Two children have been born to this union :
Cleason C, a farmer of Washington township,
married Miss Mary Arnold, and they have had
three children: William G., Jr., Lewis and
Alta ; and Laura J., married George J. Knaub,
and they have two children,' William L. and
Paul. In religious belief both Mr. and Mrs.
Kimmel are liberal supporters of the United
Brethren Church. In politics Mr. Kimmel is
liberal, voting rather for the man than the
party. Mr. Kimmel's knowledge is conceded
to be far above the average in agricultural mat-
ters, and he is highly respected as the worthy
representative of an old and honored York
county family.

ELMER E. FREY represents a family
which has been prominently identified with



this section of the State since early pioneer
days. He is a member of the linn of Frey
Brothers, conducting a large coal and wood
business in York, ,whde he is also a stockholder
in the Spring Garden Brick Manufacturing
Co., representmg one of the most extensive in-
dustrial enterprises in the line to be found in
the county. The interested principals in the
wood and coal business are Messrs. Emanuel,
Marcellus and Elmer E. Frey, the first men-
tioned being the brother of Marcellus and
father of Elmer E., and both Emanuel and
Marcellus are now retired from active associa-
tion with the business. The enterprise, which
has headquarters at the southwest corner of
East King and Fulton streets, formerly Freys-
town, now the Twelfth ward, York, dates its
inception back to 1869. The founder was
Emanuel Frey, father of the present active
member of the firm, and he was long num-
bered among the prominent and influential
business men of York, while as a citizen he
has ever commanded the most unequivocal
confidence and esteem in the community. He
is a native of York county, where he was born
Aug. 6, 1836, and for a number of years he
was employed in the car shops of Billmeyer &
Small, of York, while in 1869 he established
the coal and wood business with which he was
actively identified until 1892, when he retired,
leaving the management of the enterprise to
his son, as previously noted. For a number of
years he was also prominently concerned in
the manufacturing of brick, under the firm
name of I. Frey & Co., and he disposed of his
interests in this industry in 1901, the firm be-
ing succeeded by the Spring Garden Brick



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 52 of 201)