Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 53 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 53 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Manufacturing Co., Ltd., in which the inter-
ested principals are Israel, C. D. Frey, and
Elmer E. and Ethan A. Frey, so that the per-
sonnel of the company is entirely represented
by members of the family. The business was
incorporated in 1903, and the executive corps
is as follows : Elmer Frey, president ; C. D.
Frey. secretary, and Israel Frey, treasurer.
The company controls a large and important
business, its manufacturing plant being lo-
cated in Spring Garden township, while its
offices and yards are located in the city of
York.

Elmer E. Frey was born in Freystown, a
village named in honor of the family, and now
constituting one of the attractive suburban dis-
tricts of the city of York, the town having been



BIOGRAPHICAL



275



located and platted by his great-grandfather,
Capt. Samuel Frey, who was one of the hon-
ored and distinguished pioneers of the county
and for many, years a captain in the State
militia. Elmer E. Frey was born Aug. 6,
1 86 1, being the second in order of birth of the
live children of Emanuel and Rebecca Frey.
He received his educational training in the
public schools of York county, and at the age
of seventeen years entered upon an apprentice-
ship at the carpenter's trade, with William Mil-
ler, of Freystown, with whom he continued to
be associated for six years after completing his
apprenticeship. He then identified himself
with the coal and wood business, in company
with his father and brother and has since been
actively concerned in the management of this
successful enterprise, having bought the inter-
est of Israel Frey in the firm of Frey Brothers
in August, 1892. In politics Mr. Frey gives
his support to the Democratic party, and fra-
ternally he is identified with Zeredatha Lodge,
No. 45':, A. F. & A. M., and with the local or-
ganization of the Knights of Malta, wdiile he
is a sincere and valued member of St. Mark's
Lutheran Church.

On Oct. 19, 1886, Mr. Frey was united in
marriage to Miss Kate Heistand, daughter of
John, S. and Annie (Oleweiler) Heistand, well
known residents of Springetsbury township,
York county. Pa., where she was born and
reared. Mr. and Mrs. Frey have two children,
Stephen H. and Helen L.

JACOB MYERS, of Monaghan township,
who follows a shcemaking business and en-
gages in the cultivation of fine fruit on his lit-
tle farm of thirty-one acres, was born in that
same township, Dec. 22, 1827, son of Fred-
erick and Sarah (Frysinger) Myers, both of
whom were born in York county.

Frederick Myers was a cooper and butcher
by trade, and followed these lines until his
death, which occurred at the age of thirty-
five years. His wife was killed by a stroke of
lightning at the age of forty-four years, and
they had two children : Elizabeth, who mar-
ried Peter Heiges ; and Jacob. Frederick
Myers was a member of the German Lutheran
Church, and a Democrat in politics.

Jacob Myers received his education in the
commcn schools of York county, and at an
early age was bound out to Jacob Cocklin, with



whom he remained until the age of seventeen
years, when he learned the trade of shoe-
maker, which he has followed, oi¥ and on,
nearly all his life. He has devoted much of his
time to growing fruit, and at one time was in
the nursery business. His farm comprises
thirty-one acres, and he has raised some ex-
cellent brands of peaches — Mt. Rose, Fox
Seddley, Crawford's Late Wheatland, Ford's
Late Elberta and several other varieties.

In 1 85 1 Mr. J\'Iyers married Susan Crom-
lick, daughter of Frederick Cromlick, and they
have had these children : Frederick C, de-
ceased ; Jacob J. ; John W. ; William H. ;
Joseph, deceased: Andrew J., deceased; and
Peter K., deceased. Mrs. Myers died in 1888,
aged fifty-six years. Mr. Myers is a consistent
member of the Church of God. In politics he
votes the Democratic ticket, but has never as-
pired to office. He has a standing in his com-
munity as a man of integrity, and he is one
of the first class agriculturists of the town-
ship.

WILLIAM JAMES MARTIN, engaged
in the blacksmith, wheelwright and general
repair business, also carrying, on carriage mak-
ing, was born in Lower Chanceford township,
York county, Feb. 26. 1858, and is a highly
respected citizen of his community.

Mr. Martin received his education in the
public schools and Pleasant Grove Academy,
his teachers being: Frances Cameron, Sam-
uel McCollam, Robert Milliner and Robert
Chanel, and he finished his schooling at the
age of twenty-one years under Professor
Grove. Until nineteen years of age he worked
on the farm, and then learned the trade of
blacksmith with J. F. McDonald, of Lower
Chanceford township, carrying on this trade
on the home farm until his marriage. After
marriage Mr. Martin started on his present
place, where he has since been engaged. In
the same year, 1886, he built his present home
and also his shop, on a tract of eight acres of
land. He continued his blacksmithing, also
taking up carriage making and wheelwright-
ing, and at the present time does gun, bicycle
and stove repairing, and has been very suc-
cessful.

Mr. Martin is a memlier of the Guinston
United Presbyterian Church, which he joined
in 1874. Since 1884 he has been an elder in



270



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



the church, has also heen at times an officer in
the Sabbath school, and for the last five years
has been teacher of a Bible class. He has been
a member of the Big Spring Presbytery a num-
ber of times and once a member of the General
Assembly of the United Presbyterian Church.
Politically he is a stanch Prohibitionist.

William J. Martin was married, in 1885,
to Miss Ida H. Allison, born in Hopewell
township, daughter of Gawn and Isabella
(Grove) AUison, the latter a. sister of Gordon
Grove, of Muddy Creek Forks; Mrs. Martin
was educated in the public schools and under
Professor Prowell, and for six years she
taught school, all of which time was spent in
York county, except one year in Hancock Co.,
Ohio. One child has been born to Mr. and
Mrs. Martin, Marian Lois, who is attending
the public schools.

ALEXANDER M. GROVE, merchant
and miller at Muddy Creek Forks, Lower
Chanceford township, was born Aug. 17, 1859,
in Chanceford township, son of Alexander
Gordon and Elizabeth (Thompson) Grove,
and grandson of Jacob Grove.

Alexander Gordon . Grove was born Jan.
8, 1823, at the Cross Roads in Hopewell town-
ship, and was one of six children. The fam-
ily was carefully reared by his mother, who
combined religious instruction with practical
government. Mr. Grove's mother taught him
the Alphabet from the Bible, and he later was
instructed by James Proudfoot and Squire
Sampson Smith, both of whom were noted
educators of that day. Mr. Grove's father was
a weaver, and after finishing his limited educa-
tion the boy assisted him in the work, later
engaging as a mason, at which work it is justly
said he was unequalled, no man in all this
region of Pennsylvania bearing a better repu-
tation both as a builder and as a man than did
Gordon Grove, as he is known. In 1853 Mr.
Grove married Miss Elizabeth Thompson, and
located on a forty-acre farm near Brogue-
ville, which he had bought from Jacob Bow-,
man. The soil of the farm was poor, but Mr.
Grove's hard labor had its just reward, for at
its sale the piece of land which he had pur-
chased for $700 sold for $2,500. After selling
his farm Mr. Grove retired, and for four years
lived at Dallastown, but since that time has
lived with his son, Alexander. He was reared



in the Guinston United Presbyterian Church,
and during his youth it was the custom of the
parents to send the older children ahead to
Sabbath ser\'ice on foot, while they, with the
youngest child, would follow on horseback.
After his marriage Mr. Grove united with the
New Harmony Presbyterian Church, at
Brogueville. He was formerly a Whig but
became a member of the Republican party on
its organization, and has voted for every Pres-
idential candidate of the party.

To Alexander Gordon Grove and his wife
the following children were born : ( i ) Archi-
bald Purdy Thompson, a graduate of the Col-
lege of Physicians and Surgeons, Baltimore,
was for many j'ears one of the most prominent
physicians and surgeons in Dallastown, where
he died. He married Cora Shaw, and his son,
Dr. Austin Grove, was formerly resident phy-
sician of the York City Hospital, and is now
on the Surgeon's Staff of the Hospital. (2)
Robert A. lives in Lower Chanceford. (3)
Alexander M. is mentioned below. (4)
Emily J. married R. G. Andrews, of York.

(5) James K. married S. Florence ^^^ilson.

(6) A. Theda married C. M. Fulton, of York.

(7) J. William, a graduate of the Dental De-
partment, University of Maryland, married
Emily Bucher, and settled in Columbia, Pa.,
where he died. (8) Sarah B. married F. C.
Uffelman, of Chanceford township.

Alexander M. Grove attended the Thomp-
son school from the age of six years until he
was seventeen, starting under the tutorage of
Mary Bigler. After leaving school Mr. Grove
began his business career as a clerk in the store
of Henry Curran, at Brogueville, his home
village, remaining there about three years, af-
ter which he attended Millersville Normal
School for a time. He then clerked in the
stores of Zeller & Gable and Stouch & Oswald,
in York, and one year in Delta with H. R.
Lloyd. He then entered a partnership with
James W. Kilgore, in Brogueville, continuing
with him two years, at the end of which time
he embarked in business for himself at Brogue-
ville. In 1888 Mr. Grove purchased from
James P. Moffet the property where he has
since resided, known as Muddy Creek Forks,
and comprising 160 acres, on which were erect-
ed a general store, a railroad station, with all
the necessary switches, a flour-mill, two dwell-
ings, and other buildings. Under his adminis-




U6/^ f /^ ,^^^^7^^c^^



BIOGRAPHICAL



277



tration many impro\'ements have been made
on the property, all the old buildings having
been remodeled or painted, and four new
dwellings having been put up, among them Mr.
Grove's present residence. The mill has been
twice remodeled, being now an up-to-date
roller process flour-mill, with a reputation sec-
ond to none for making the old process buck-
wheat flour, which finds a ready sale. He has
also built a modern grain elevator (capacity
9,000 bushels) and a new warehouse, the form-
er being equipped with scales and the neces-
sary machinery for handling and cleaning
wheat, operated by waterpower. Mr. Grove
has leased some of his ground to W. Scott
AVhiteford, who has erected thereon a large
canning house, provided with all the latest
machinery, and having a capacity equal to any
house of the kind in York county. Mr.
Grove's store, which is the chief structure in
this group of buildings, is a fine example of
his ideas of what a business establishment
should be. It is 40x60 feet in dimensions,
three stories in height, and modern in all its
appointments. It is heated by steam and
lighted by gas from a private plant, and a com-
plete telegraph and telephone service enables
]\Ir. Grove to send and receive messages from
any part of the civilized world without leaving
his desk. In addition to this establishment Mr.
Grove, in partnership with his brother-in-law,
F. C. Ufi^elman, conducts a branch store at
Brogueville Station. He also owns a farm
which requires close attention, and the super-
vision of which, in addition to numerous other
duties, makes him a very busy man. All his
enterprises have prospered. In Mr. Grove's
mercantile venture he attributes equal share of
his success to the efficient superintendency of
his brother, James K., whose ability and judg-
ment have never been open to question. With
his assistance the establishment has become
well known and extensively patronized as a
reliable, up-to-date department store. He is
also a partner with his brother in the fertilizer
business.

Mr. Grove has been postmaster and ex-
press agent in Muddy Creek Forks for eighteen
years, and for the past two years has been
agent for the Maryland and Pennsylvania
Railroad Company. For fifteen years he has
been a director in the City Bank of York, and
is president and one of the organizers of the



York Eastern Telephone Company. He is a
trustee of the York Collegiate Institute.

Mr. Grove since his youth has been a con-
sistent member of the New Harmony Preslay-
terian Church of Brogueville. For several years
he served as trustee and treasurer, and is now
an elder, and he has always been a liberal con-
tributor to all church projects. In politics he
is a Republican. In fraternal circles he is a
member of Esdraelon Lodge, No. 176, A. F.
& A. M., of Delta.

On Nov. I, 1883, Mr. Grove married Miss
Elizabeth Uffelman, daughter of Frederick
Uffelman, who was born in Germany and came
to the United States in 1863, landing at New
York, and later settling in Chanceford town-
ship, where he died. To Mr. and Mrs. Grove
were born children as follows : Bessie N. and
Carrie E., who are graduates of York Colle-
giate Institute and now are at Wilson College,
Cbambersburg; and Charles Gordon, who is at
the York Collegiate Institute. Mrs. Grove has
always been in full sympathy with her hus-
band's plans and ambitions, and though she
has never taken any active part in his business
affairs, she has done much by her good judg-
ment and wise encouragement to help him in
his striving toward worthy ends. The beauti-
ful home in which Mr. and Mrs. Grove reside
is situated on a hill overlooking the picturesque
winding trail of the Peach Bottom railway.
Therein dwell love and refinement, and the
true spirit of domesticity, without which even
architectural excellence and pleasing surround-
ings do not make a home.

SAMUEL MARTIN. Among the highly
esteemed residents of York county, who have
cultivated fine farms, may be mentioned Sam-
uel Martin, who is now living- retired on his
estate in Lower Chanceford township. He is
descended from Samuel Martin, who was of
Scotch-Irish descent, and came to America
from the North of Ireland. Settling in Hope-
well township, in a log cabin which he had
himself built, he became a well known farmer,
and there he and his wife, who had been a
Miss McNeary, reared a family of three sons
and one daughter: Peter, who went to the
Pigeon Creek settlement, in Washington coun-
ty; James, who settled near Canonsburg: An-
drew, the grandfather of our subject : and the
daughter, who married Peter Stewart, and



278



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



died in Chanceford township. ' Samuel Martin
married (second) the \Mdo\v Allison, nee
Wallace.

Andrew Martin was born in Hopewell
township, where he followed farming all of his
life. He married Miss Jenny or Margaret
Allison, and died on his farm at a ripe age.
and was sm'vived by his second wife. The
The names of both him and his wife appear on
the Guinston U. P. Church roll. Andrew Mar-
tin's children were as follows: Samuel, born
July I, 1786, died a bachelor; Jane, born Dec.
26, 1787, married Joseph Thompson, and
moved to New York State where she died;
James diect in infancy; Agnes, born in 1791,
married Jacob Grove; Andrew, born Sept. 9,
1793', married (first) a Miss Brooks, and
(second) Jane Gibson; Isabella, born July 25,
1795, married and died in Canonsburg; Al-
exander, born March 11, 1799; Margaret,
born March 7, 1801, married Alexander Gor-
don, and died in New York State, the mother
of the noted India missionary. Dr. Andrew
Gordon; and Gavin, born Oct. 9, 1805, settled
in Pittsburg, where he married and carried on
a merchandise business.

Alexander Martin was born on the home-
stead in Hopewell township, where his early
life was passed as a farmer boy. He located
in Chanceford township and learned the car-
penter's trade with Robert Anderson^ after
which he followed that trade for a time and
then bought a 138-acre farm, which now be-
longs to our subject. The house upon the
farm was built by our subject for his father,
and he was compelled to make his own sash,
doers, etc. Alexander Martin married Eliza-
beth Allison, daughter of Willia mand Janet
(Gemmell) Allison. He and his wife were
members of the Guinston U. P. Church, in
whose work they were very active. Mr. Mar-
tin was an old line Whig, later becoming a
Republican. His death occurred May 5, 1871,
while his wife passed away Oct. 24, 1865. To
this worthy couple the following children were
born: William C. A., born April 15, 1822,
died at the age of twenty-six years: Andrew
died in his second year ; Samuel ; Alexander
and Margaret Janet died young; one died in
infancy; John Adams died at the age of six
years; and Gavin Allison died young.

Samuel Martin was born April 18, 1826,
on the old homestead farm, upon which he has



spent all of his life. His education was re-
ceived in the subscription schools under Sam-
uel McCaula, Thomas Caldwell, Robert Cress-
well and Benjamin Fulks, and in the public
schools under John Laird and James W.
Logue, late of Cleveland, Northfield and
Stowe. He left school at the age of twenty
years, his schooling having been very irreg-
ular. After leaving school Mr. Martin learned
the carpenter's trade with James H. Wiley,
with whom he served nineteen months. After
serving a short time as journeyman he con-
tracted for himself for a short time. He owned
and operated a sawmill for four years in
Chanceford township, and then moved it to his
farm, where he ran it for a time. He next
worked as a car builder for Bilmyer & Small,
and also for Ilgenfritz & White. In March,
1863, he secured a position as woodworker
with A. B. Farquhar, and at times worked as
a machinist. In 1865 he returned home for a
time, in 1867 going back to York, where for
a short period he worked as a pattern maker.
In 1871 Mr. Martin's father died, and he re-
turned home to take charge of the farm. He
added a machine shop, where he made tele-
graph insulator pins and brackets, and also
ran the sawmill on his place.

Mr. Martin united with the Guinston U. P.
Church, in 1849, the year he was married to
Miss Elizabeth Kilgore, born June 30, 1825,
in Fawn township, daughter of Solomon and
Elizabeth (Smith) Kilgore. The following
children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Mar-
tin : Margaret Elizabeth, born Dec. 14, 1849,
married Samuel McPherson, of Lower Chance-
ford township; Martha Amanda, born July
6, 1 85 1, married Valentine Trout, of Hope-
well township; Alexander, born March 9,
1853, married Maggie Kilgore, of Lower
Chanceford township; John Andrew, born
May 12, 1854, married (first) Mary Koplin
and (second) Emma Cooper, and resides at
Altoona; Catherine, born Oct. 17, 1855, died
in 1892; William James, born Feb. 26, 1858,
married April 21, 1885, Ida Allison; Sarah
Elnora, born July 3, 1859, married Charles
G. McCollum, of Lancaster; Samuel Francis,
born March 30. 1861. died Feb. 20, 1889;
Mary Rebecca, born June 7, 1863, married
Walter Slade, of Harford county; David Gor-
don, born March 7, 1865, married Mary Grei-
man, and resides in Philadelphia; Arthur



BIOGRAPHICAL



279



Charles was born Jan. 9, 1867; Harry Edward
Allison, born June 9, 1869. died young; and
Ida Belle, who was born July 8, 1875, is now
the wife of Robert J. Patterson, of York.

Samuel Martin was nurtured in the prin-
ciples which were embodied from the Whigs,
into the Republican party, and he has been
identiiied with this political organization since
its formation in 1852. Mr. Alartin now lives
in comfortable retirement after his many
active years of agricultural life, and he is
highly esteemed and respected in York county.

DR. H. E. BASHORE, of York, is de-
scended from French ancestry, the name hav-
ing been originally written Borshor. His
great-great-grandfather, Jacob Bashore, was a
farmer and removed from Berks to York
county. Our subject's grandfather was born
in this country, and his father now lives a re-
tired life, making his home with the Doctor.
Dr. Bashore's mother was Annie Swatzbaugh,
whose father was the well known millwright
and farmer of York county. Four children
were born to Dr. Bashore's parents : Harry ;
Virtie, wife of William D. Armor, of Gettys-
burg; Katy, wife of George Yagey, in the rail-
road service at Baltimore ; and Dr. H. E.

The birth of Dr. Bashore occurred Jan.
17, 1862, in Hanover, York county. He en-
tered the University of Maryland in 1883.
Immediately after his graduation in 1886 he
began the practice of dentistry at No. 137
West A/farket street, York, and he has re-
mained there ever since in the enjoyment of
a large and lucrative practice. Four students
who chose him for their preceptor are now suc-
cessful practicing dentists of York, while a
fifth is practicing in Philadelphia.

Dr. Bashore was married Oct. 14, 1890, to
Elizabeth Reichley, daughter of Jacob Reich-
ley, of York. The Doctor belongs to the York
Dental Society, the Knights of Malta and
Crystal Lodge, Knights of Pythias, which he
helped to organize, and cf which he was the
first past officer. In religion he is a member
of Christ Lutheran Church, and in all that he
does is a painstaking and capable gentleman.

CHARLES GROTHEY, a veteran of the
Civil wnr, now living retired in York, after a
life of industry, was born Mav 10, 1828, at
Hanover, Germany, son of Ernest Henry and
Charlotte Grothev.



Ernest Henry Grothey was a tanner and
shoemaker in his native land. After the death
of his wife in Germany, he came to America,
where he lived a retired life until his death at
the age of eighty-seven years. He was in-
terred in the Prospect Hill cemetery.

Charles Grothey ^ learned the brushmaking
trade in Germany, and became a skilled me-
chanic. When twenty-three years old he came
to America and landed in Baltimore, where
he lived some four years, and while there en-
listed in the State Guards, and was made an
officer, serving with that organization for
three years. He then came to New Salem,
York county, and bought a home but in the
following year he renToved to Glatfelter's Sta-
tion, where he followed farming for some
seven years. Later he sold this farm and
bought a home on North Penn street, in which
he lived for five years. During this time he en-
listed in Company H, 200th P. V. I., and was
out ten months, participating in several im-
portant engagements, namely: Fort Stead-
man, Petersburg and others. Much of the
time during his army service he had charge of
the pickets, his faithful attention to duty
making his services at all times valuable.

Mr. Grothey spent seven years in a mer-
cantile business at Fairfield, in Adains county,
and still owns a store property there, and also
has a fine farm in North Codorus township.
The latter is operated by his grandson, he hav-
ing retired in 1893, and he is spending the
evening of life in comfort and ease at his
pleasant home at No. 519 Princess street,
York.

Air. Grothey was married (first) in Balti-
more, to Elizabeth Marker, who was born in
Hessen, Germany. She ched May 2, 1896,
aged seventy-one years, seven months and
twenty-seven days, and is buried in the Ziegler
Church cemetery in North Codorus township.
The children of this marriage were: Charles,
a farmer, married Annie R. Rosenzweig.
and they live in North Codorus township;
Mollie is the wife of Charles Deig, of ^^■iscon-
sin ; Henry married Laura Dingle, and 'they
]We in North York; Auguste married Henry
Keener, of Fairfield, Adams county; Bertha
died aged two years, four weeks ; and An-
nie married Dr. William Long, of Frederick
City, Md. Mr. Grothe}' was married (second)
Oct. 12, 1896, by Rev. Walker, to Airs. Annie
E. Stoops, who had these children : Alary



28o



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Bishop; Susan, deceased; William, of Ohio;
Sarah, of Ohio; Cordelia, of Maryland, and
Minnie, of Baltimore. In politics Mr. Grothey
is a Republican, and both he and his wife be-
long to St. Paul's Lutheran Church at York.

GEORGE \A\ HOLTZINGER. Repub-
lican county commissioner, elected in 1905, a
leading citizen of Windsor township, was born
in that township July 2, 1847, on the farm now
owned by M. B. Spahr, of York.

Mr. Holtzinger comes of a family long
identified with York county, being a grandson
of John and Barbara (Wolf) Holtzinger, who
were of German extraction, but natives of
Pennsylvania. John Holtzinger was a shoe-
maker by trade, and followed that calling prin-
cipally during his active years, living in the
neighborhood of ^ Stonybrook, a short distance



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 53 of 201)