Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 55 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 55 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Old school. No. 35, New York City, the grad-
uates of this school between the years of 1865
and 1870 have formed a society known as the
Hunter Association, holding annual banquets
in New York City.

Mr. Allen is descended from four Revolu-
tionaVy ancestors, one of whom, Archelaus
Allen, was in the battle of Lexington ; another,
Asahel Hall, was at Germantown, Valley
Forge, Brandywine and Trenton. Capt. Dan-
iel Piatt was at Stony Point, and another an-
cestor. Captain Merriman, belonged to the
Connecticut Fourth throughout the Revolu-
tion.

AMOS PEIFFER. one of the prominent
citizens and successful farmers of York county,
passed away at the age of sixty-one years. He
was born in North Codorus township, where he
was reared and received a common school edu-
cation. His life was spent in agricultural pur-
suits. ■ He was a Democrat in politics.

Amos Peiffer married Anna Maria Krebs,
widow of Peter Krebs, who was born in Codo-
rus township, the representative of an old fam-
ily. He also was a farmer, and also died at the
age of sixty-one years. The children born to
Mrs. Peiffer and her husband were as follows :
Sarah, wife of Ephraim Glatfelter, of Codorus
township ; Julia, wife of John Newcomer, and
living on the home place in North Codorus
township; Clara E.. who married Howard
Henry, in the mercantile business at Seven
Valley; Calvin, deceased; and Arneda, de-
ceased.

The parents of Mrs. Peififer were John and
Eva (Krout) Miller, residents of. Springfield
township, where they both died, being buried
at Jefferson. Their children were: Elizabeth.
Sallie, Michael, John, Emanuel, Le\-i, Anna,
David and Katie. I\Irs. Peift'er, who is a most
estimable lady, is making her home with her
daughter, Mrs. Henry, in Se\-en Vallev.

HENRY M. JOSEPH, a contractor and
builder of York, who has been engaged in tliis
business in York since 1900, was born Sept.



286



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



1 6, 1864, in ^^'est Manchester township, on
Daniel Hoke's farm, near York, son of Henry
and Lydia (Sellers) Joseph.

Henry Joseph, grandfather of Henry M.,
was a farmer of Paradise township, who re-
moved to West Manchester township, and fol-
lowed farming, later removing to near Berlin,
W'here he died. He married into the Leib fam-
ily, and became the father of these children:
John, who died in Jackson township ; Jonas, in
business at New Salem, York county ; Michael,
a retired farmer, living at Red Run Church;
Catherine, the wife of Jesse Masemore, living
in Washington township ; Elizabeth, who died
near Spring Grove, wife of Jesse Stambaugh;
Sarah, the wife of Abraham Gensler, in West
Manchester township ; Matilda, widow of Peter
Spangler, living at Bear's Station, in West
Manchester township ; and Henry.

Henry Joseph (2), son of Henry, was born
in 1827 in Jackson township, and received both
a German and an English education. He re-
mained with his father at farming for a while,
and first started on his own account, with Dan-
iel Hoke, with whom he remained for forty-
five years, being one of West Manchester
township's good, reliable, practical farmers.
He retired to New Salem, where he now re-
sides. He married Lydia Sellers, daughter of
Henry and Mary (Walters) Sellers, and the
children born to this union were as follows:
John A., who married Ellen Slagel, and lives
at Stoverstown, York county; Hamilton F.,
who married Maggie Gladfelter, and lives on
the old Gladfelter farm in New Salem ; Emma,
who died at the age of two years ; Henry M. ;
Katie, wife of J. B. Fissel, of Eberton ; Mary,
wife of William Christ, of New Salem ; Allen
M., who married Arabella Brenneman; Ma-
tilda, wife of Luther Doll, of Codorus town-
ship; Juble, who married Mollie Christ, a
school teacher at New Salem : and Amanda,
the wife of George Brenneman.

Henrv M. Joseph attended Hoke's school
in West Manchester township until the age of
eighteen years, and remained at home on the
farm with his father until twenty-six years
old. On Oct. 23, 1890, he married Sarah E.
Lecrone, daughter of William and Leah
( Shriver) Lecrone, and located where he now
resides, at No. 758 West Market street, York,
in the old Lecrone home, which he rebuilt. He
then' engaged in carpentering with Daniel
Loyd, and remained with him three years,



later forming a partnership with him for six
months, when he engaged with Becker & Senft.
In 1900 he engaged in business in York, and
has become very successful in his line, the en-
gine house in North York borough being some
of Mr. Joseph's work.

To Mr. and Mrs. Joseph these children have
been born : Harry A. ; Lotta May and Reba
Louise, attending school. In politics Mr. Jo-
seph is a Democrat. He is a member of St.
Matthew's Church of York. He is a member
of the F. O. E. ; of the Volunteer Fire Com-
■pany. Vigilant Steam Chemical Fire Engine
Co., No. I, of York.

McCLELLAN SWARTZ is one of the
well known citizens of Spring Grove, York
county, where he is engaged in contracting and
also owns a livery and sales stable. He was
born Nov. 9, 1864, son of Dietrich and Anna
(Hoke) Swartz.

The paternal grandparents were Henry and
Catherine (Minnich) Swartz, the former of
\vhom was one of the representative farmers
of York county. Besides carrying on farming
in Jackson township he was engaged in car-
penter work in Codorus township, where he
made his home for a number of years. His
last years, however, were devoted to agricul-
ture only. He and his wife had five children,
Henry (deceased), Jesse, Harriet, Dietrich and
Isaac. The family were Lutherans in religious
faith.

Dietrich Swartz was bom in Codorus town-
ship, but later moved to Jackson, and engaged
in farming there imtil 1882. He then removed
to Richmond, Va., and was actively engaged
in farming there for some years, but is now
living in retirement. At one time he owned
nearly all the land on which Spring Grove is
situated, and was then considered one of York
county's most prominent men. He married
Miss Anna Hoke, and the children born to this
union were: Kate, Samuel, Harriet, Jesse,
McClellan, David, George, Dietrich, Annie and
Henry.

McClellan Swartz was born during his
father's residence in York county, and was sent
to the public schools there. When Dietrich
Swartz moved to Virginia, the son accompanied
him, but after two years returned to Pennsyl-
vania and rented a farm in Paradise township.
For two years he operated that, then moved to
Jackson township, renting the Menges farm



BIOGRAPHICAL



287



for two )'ears, spent the following three years
in Adams county and then returned to Spring
Grove. For the first three years he was en-
gaged in dairying and farming, but in 1897 he
went into the livery business, which still occu-
pies his attention. In addition to this he acts
as agent for the popular Anderson buggy, and
he is also engaged to a considerable extent in
taking contracts for excavating and stone work.
He is enterprising and progressive, and a good
workman and business man, and handles all
his interests with much success.

In February, 1887, Mr. Swartz was united
in marriage to Miss Mary Myers, daughter of
Michael Myers, and to their union have come
two children, Maud M. and Annie A. Mr. and
Mrs. Swartz are Lutherans and in politics he is
a Democrat.

JACOB F. KREBS, a retired farmer of
Codorus township, was born Jan. 12, 1854, in
the township where he now resides, son of
Lewis and Annie C. (Frazer) Krebs.

George Krebs, great-grandfather of Jacob
T''., is the first of the family of whom we have
authentic record. He was most probably born
in Germany and came at a very early day to
Ccdorus township, York county, where he sub-
sequently owned 200 acres of land. He lived
to be eighty-eight years old, and the remains
of himself and wife were among the first to be
interred in the graveyard belonging to the
Stone Church. He married Catherine Nosh-
lev, and they had issue as follows: Elizabeth,
John, Lewis, Catherine, George, David, Sam-
uel and Rebecca.

John Krebs, son of George, was born in
1 79 1 in Codorus township, where he was a life-
long farmer, owning 300 acres of land. For
some five j^ears prioir to his death; at the age
of eighty-one years, eleven months and eleven
days, he lived retired. His wife died at about
the same age, and both are buried at the Stone
Church. He married Magdalena Bortner
Krebs, widow of Lewis Krebs, by whom she
had two children : Lydia, who married Levi
Thoman, and died; and John. The children
born to her marriage with John Krebs were:
Magdalena (who became the second wife of
Levi Thoman), Jeremiah, Lewis, Adam, Eliza-
beth, Catherine, George and Jesse.

Lewis Krebs, father of our subject, w^s
born Dec. 6, 1825. He now lives retired on a
part of the old homestead, and owns 117 acres



of good farming land and tliirty acres of wood-
land. He married Anna C. Frazer, daughter
of Peter Frazer, and they had issue as follaws :
Adeline, wife of Jacob T. Castlow, of Codorus
township; Jesse, who died aged two years;
Jacob F. ; Lewis F., who married Leah Cast-
low; George F., who married Belinda Kerch-
ner; William F., who married Catherine Mc-
Cleary; Annie C, widow of Levi T. Krebs,
who died in 1895 ; and John F., who farms for
his father, and who married Ida Fair.

Jacob F. Krebs was educated in what was
then known as the Rohrbaugh school, but is
now called the Krebs school, and he continued
at his books until he was nineteen years old.
He remained on the farm assisting his father
until his majority, when he" entered the employ
of his brother-in-law, S. B. Brodbeck at farm-
ing and hauling goods for the store, there now
being a post-office at this point named for the
proprietor. He remained there two years, com-
ing to his present farm in 1880, a property
formerly belonging to his father-in-law. Mr.
Krebs is the fortunate owner of 272 acres of
some of the best farming land in York county.
an.d he has it thus divided : two tracts of
eighty acres each, one of eighty-eight, one of
twenty, and one of four acres of woodland.
He has also one of the finest modern residences
in this section of the county, a home that would
do credit to any section. Mr. Krebs continued
to farm until 1900, when he laid aside acti\'e
labor, and has lived retired, with the exception
of looking after the sales of a certain ex-
cellent fertilizer.

Mr. Krebs married Elizabeth Brodbeck,
daughter of George and Leah ( Bossert) Brod-
beck. They have no children. He is a consist-
ent member of the Lutheran Church, in which
he was a deacon, and he is much interested at
all times in the work of the Sunday-school. His
wife belongs to the Reformed Church.

In politics M'r. Krebs has always been a
Democrat. He has served on the elec-
tion board, and has been active in party
affairs. For a period of fourteen years
he has been treasurer of the Codorus
& Manheim Fire Insurance Compan}-, one
of the strongest lines in the State, which
has a number of leading capitalists on
its directing board. Its officers are : Jesse K.
Wentz, of Hanover, president ; A. T. Grove,
of Stewartstown, vice president : W. H. Brod-
beck, of Jefferson, secretary ; and Jacob F.



288



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Krebs of Codorus township, treasurer. Mr.
Krebs is one of the popular men in the town-
ship, possessing a genial, pleasant manner, and
a kindly nature which leads him to be a good
neighbor and a firm friend.

AARON HOSTETTER, president of the
Hanover Produce Company, Hanover, Pa.,
and postmaster at that city, is one of the ener-
getic and able business men of that prosperous
Tittle community who have given prestige and
growth to the locality by then" strong individ-
ual efforts. He was born in Union township,
Adams countv, this State, May 25, 1866, son
of Abraham F. and Mary (Huber) Hostetter.
The father was for many years a prosperous
farmer and merchant, widely and favorably
known throughout his own and neighboring
counties. He married Mary Huber, of Wnghts-
vihe, York county, and to them was born a
family of eight children. Abraham Hostetter
died on his farm in Union township, Adams
county, in 1867.

Aaron Hostetter was educated m the com-
mon schools of Adams county, and the know-
ledge he there obtained was supplemented by
a course of instruction at a private academy
at Blairstown, N. J. His tastes were for com-
mercial life, and alter leaving school he entered
the service of E. H. Hostetter & Brother, dry-
goods merchants in Hanover, with whom he
remained for six years. Later he engaged in
the produce business for himself, and in 1900
was the principal organizer of the Hanover
Produce Company, which was incorporated
with a capital stock of $40,000. Mr. Hostet-
ter was elected president, an executive position
which he has since filled. The company does
a large and prosperous business, marketing its
produce in Buffalo, N. Y., Washington, D.
C, and various other centers. The company
has offices at Chambersburg, Pa., Table Rock,
Adams Co., Pa., Hillen Station, Baltimore,
Md., and several others. Mr. Hostetter has
traveled extensively and he has acquired a val-
uable fund of information in connection with
his business, being fully advised as to the most
advanced and favored methods employed in
this important branch of trade. To that self-
acquired business education he unites the
energy of a young man and that companion-
ableness which makes and holds friends, and
is thus equipped with the essentials of an ac-
tive and successful business career.



Mr. Hostetter was married, June 19, 1890,
to Miss Wortha Koplin, of Hellertown, daugh-
ter of Rev. Dr. A. B. and Mary (Custerj
Koplin. To Mr. and Mrs. Hostetter have been
born two children, Harriet L. and Abraham
Koplin, both students in the public schools of
Hanover. Mr. and Mrs. Hostetter are mem-
bers of Emanuel Reformed Church. Fratern-
ally he belongs to Patmos Lodge, No. 338, F.
& A. M., of Hanover; and to the B. P. O. E.
In his political faith he is unwavering, giving
his allegiance to the Republican party, and in
1904-05 he was a member of the Pennsylvania
State Legislature. In April, 1905, he was ap-
pointed postmaster by President Theodore
Roosevelt.

ISAAC L. HESS, who passed away in
York, April 19, 1886, was for many years
identified with the business interests of that
city. He was born in Springfield township.
May 8, 1826.

Daniel Hess, father of Isaac L., was born
in Springfield township. May 8, 1800, and fol-
lowed farming and carpentering. He married
Catherine Leader, and both died in Springfield
township.

Isaac L. Hess was reared on his father's
farm, where he remained until he grew to man-
hood. He learned the carpenter's trade with
his father, also the cooper's trade, and followed
both, ofif and on, throughout his life. He was
married, Dec. 8, 1850, to Miss Melvina Liv-
ingston, born in Springfield township in 1831,
daughter of George and Elizabeth (Raymer)
Livingston. Mr. Hess was interred at Salem
Church. He was a member of the Reformed
Church, while in political matters he associated
with the Democratic party.' To Mr. and Mrs.
Isaac L. Hess were born the following chil-
dren : William H., who died in York in 1903,
married Elizabeth Spiker; John P., who died
in Shelby, Ohio, in 1904, married a Miss Greg-
ory; Cornelius died at the age of ten years;
Eliza C. is Mrs. Joseph K. Germon, of York;
Charles, of York, married Sallie Freed; Isaac
D., of York, married Emma Gentzler; and Al-
bert W., of York, married Maggie Dessen-
berg.

George Livingston, the father of Mrs. Hess,
followed farming extensively in York town-
ship, where he owned two large tracts of land.
He was well known and highly esteemed and
was a good citizen and public spirited man.




X^^^^iyf^cTf^J^CC^ ^^^^-^'



BIOGRAPHICAL



289,



He died in York in tlie faith of the Lutheran
Church. His wife died in her sixties, and
both were buried at the Lutheran Church at
Paradise. Their children were : Mrs. Hess ;
Eliza, Mrs. Peter Fishel, who. died in York
county; and John, who married Sarah Haines,
and died on the okl home farm. Mrs. Mel-
vina (Livingston) Hess was born on her
father's farm Nov. 23, 183 1, and attended the
pubhc schools until fifteen or sixteen years old.
She learned to knit, and she helped to make
linen for towels, bed linen and table cloths.

GEORGE ANDERSON, whose death at
the age of seventy-six years removed one of
the best known educators of this section of the
State, was a man of great force of character,
and was noted for the traits of thrift, perse-
verance and energy that were bequeathed him
by his ancestors. Mr. Anderson was born about
1775, son of David and Margaret (Hepburn)
Anderson. His grandfather and grandmother
came from Ireland and Scotland, respectively.

David Anderson was born in Hopewell
township, and died during the Revolutionary
war. His children were : James ; George ; and
Robert, who went West.

George Anderson received his education in
the schools of York county, and at an early age
he began teaching, which occupation he fol-
lowed up to the time of his death. He married
Miss Jennie Grove (sister of Matthew Grove),
by whom he had one child, George, who died
in Y'ork county. Mr. Anderson continued
teaching, and lived in the vicinity of Conrad's
cross roads, toward Peach Bottom, on the farm
now occupied by John Campbell. ~Sh-. Ander-
son spent some time in Columbiana Co., Ohio,
where relatives lived, and taught in the sub-
scription schools. Mr. Anderson returned to
York county, and bought forty acres of land
at Laurel Station, near Peach Bottom road,
where he died. Mr. Anderson was buried at
Downey's graveyard in Chanceford township.

The second marriage of Mr. Anderson was
to Agnes Anderson, by whom he had the fol-
lowing children : David, who died on his, farm
in Chanceford township, married Miss Eliza-
beth Cross, daughter of Squire James Cross;
William Wallace, who died in Lancaster City,
married (first) Eliza Moffett; Jennie G.,
a well known dress maker, now at the
age of eighty-nine years is the second
oldest member of the Guinston U. P.



Church; James, who married Miss Margaret
Douglass, died in Chanceford township;
Sarah Jane died at the age of fourteen
years; Margaret married William Frey, who
was raised at John Murphy's, in Chanceford;
and Agnes, who married George Wolf, who
was raised near Laurel Station. The members
of this family were all consistent attendants of
the U. P. Church, to which Mr. Anderson was
a liberal giver.

Mr. Anderson was a man of unimpeachable
integrity and was highly esteemed bv all who
knew him. His death closed a blameless life,
and removed from the township one who had
always been one of its best citizens.

SEVRENUS P. NOEL, a farmer and
miller of Paradise township, York Co., Pa.,
was born on his present farm, Eeb. 10, 1849,
and attended the township schools under Pro-
fes,sors Gushing, Howard and Smith. He left
school at the age of eighteen years, and learned
milling with "his father, with whom he re-
mained until his marriage.

Mr. Noel was married in 1875, to Miss
Sarah King, of Paradise township, daughter
of Joseph and Sally (Bivenour) King, the lat-
ter of whom is deceased. After his marriage
he purchased a mill and farm, and here he has
since continued, making many additions and
improvements, and having one of the best
farms in the township. He has been a member
of the Paradise Catholic Church since child- ■
hood, and has been organist thereof for the
past thirty-five years. He is a stanch Democrat.

Michael Noel, father of Sevrenus P., was
born in Paradise township in 181 1, and passed
all his life there, dying in 1877, while his wife
passed away two years later. They were mem-
bers of the Catholic Church. Mr. Noel was a
Democrat. His children were : Sevrenus P. ;
Fabian, deceased; Felix and Stanislaus, who
settled in Kansas, later removed to Oregon,
where they are engaged in milling; John, of
Baltimore; Susan, Mrs. Francis Marshall, of
near Oxford; Michael A., of Philadelphia, a
Jesuit priest ; and Salome, who was a Sister of
St. Joseph, and died in McSherrytown in 1892.

The grandfather of our subject was John
Noel, a farmer, who inherited a farm from his
father. He married Miss Feby Wise. They
were devout Catholics, attending services in
the homes of the Cathohc residents of the
neighborhood in the early days. Their chil-



290



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



clren were : Peter, who died at 'Mt. Reck,
Adams county ; John and Alichael, who died in
Paradise township; Joseph, who died in the
West: and Jacob, who died at home. The
great-grandfather of our suljject came from
France.

KERN DARON, an old and honored resi-
dent of York, Pa., now employed by the York
Manufacturing Company, as a machinist, was
born in IManchester township, York county,
Oct. 15, 1 83 1, son of George Daron and grand-
:Son of George.

George Daron, the grandfather, was born
in Hellam township, York county, where he
followed farming, later going to Dover town-
ship, wdiere the borough of Dover now stands.
He built the hotel there now owned by Henry
Brunhouse, and engaged in the hotel business
a number of years before his death. He was
buried in the^ old Strayer's Church. George
Daron's children were : John, George, Jacob,
Daniel, Estella, Rebecca, Lovinia, Leah and
Mary Gross.

George Daron, father of Kern, was born
in Dover township, and received a common
school education. He learned the cooper's
trade in Dover, and later engaged in agricul-
ture in Manchester township, where he re-
mained about twenty-four years, and then re-
turned to Dover, engaging in the hotel busi-
ness at his father's old stand, where he re-
mained a number of years. He died aged fifty-
seven years, having lived retired some time pre-
vious to his death. Mr. Daron was buried at
Straver's Church. He married Lydia Kern,
daughter of Peter and Mary (Delp) Kexn,
and she is buried beside her husband. Mr.
Daron was a Democrat, and servpd on the
election boards in Dover. His children were
as follows : William, who died in Manchester
township; George, who married a ]\Iiss Getts,
and resides in York; Kern; Emanuel of
Dover borough, engaged in the implement
business, and married to Ella Hamm; Sarah,
widow of Samuel Kohr; Susan, widow of
Israel Reiber; Louisa, wife of Henry Quickie.
of York; Maggie, wife of Solomon Baugh-
man, of Allentown; and Mary, wife of Am-
brose Seifert.

Kern Daron received his education in Man-
chester township, attending school until his
sixteenth year, when he went to learn the car-
X^enter's trade with Samuel Kohr, \\ith whom



he remained three years. He then spent one
year in Iowa at the millwright's trade, and, re-
turning to Dover, followed his trade for four
years. He was engaged in the mercantile busi-
ness near the borough of Dover, and in the
furniture and undertaking business for two
years at Rosstown, Warrington township. He
came to York in 1883, and was employed with
the A. B. Farquhar Company for twenty years, •
in the machine shop, and in 1903 he engaged
with the York Manufacturing Company as a
mechanic, and he has continued with that firm
until the present time. Although he has passed
the seventy-fourth milestone in life's journey,
Mr. Daron is in the best of health, in full re-
tention of his faculties, and remarkably active.

In 1857 JNIr. Daron married (first) Mary
Leas, daug'hter of David and Sarah (Walker)
Leas, and she died in 1882, being buried at
Strayer's Church. She was the mother of
these children : Sarah Jane, deceased, was the
wife of Dennis Bosch; Lydia, the wife oi L.
Dunning, is residing in CDhio ; Maggie is the
wife of Frank Sheaffer, a neighbor of her sis-
ter's husband in Ohio ; Ruth is the wife of Mr.
Hoover, of Iowa ; George, of Illinois, married
Saide Lancaster; David lives at Denver, Colo. ;
Charles married Mary Hess, and is a carriage
maker of Y^ork ; and John, who married Alice
Seifert, is a clerk of York. In 1884 Mr. Daron
married Mary (Reisanger) Newcomber, widow
of Esra Newcomber. and daughter of Jacob
and Sarah (Smith) Reisanger. She was born
and reared in Windsor township, York county.
By her marriage with Mr. Newcomber Mrs.
Daron had one son, Wilber J., who died aged
twenty-four years, and w^as buried in the Pros-
pect Hill cemetery. Mr. Daron is a stanch
Democrat, and while in Dover held the office
of township auditor and supervisor. In York
he served as city assessor, 1897-98-99, filling
his office to the entire satisfaction of the peo-
ple. He is a member of Christ Lutheran Church



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 55 of 201)