Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 57 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 57 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


William R. The children born to Mr. Spang-
ler's second marriage were as follows : Mar-
garet Louise, born June 28, 1887, is a stenog-
rapher: and Emma R., born Feb. 7, 1891, is
attenchng school. \\\ politics Mr. Spangler
is a Democrat. He is a member of the Church
of God, and was a member of the building
committee. He has also served as elder, and
is now treasurer. Miss Margaret Spangler,
Mr. Spangler's daughter, is the organist of
this church.

SA^^IUEL H. FORNEY. About few. if
any, old mansions of York county cluster rich-
er memories than those of the old Forney
homestead, which joins the borough of Han-
over. The present owner is Samuel H. Fprney,
a retired farmer, well and prominently known
throughout this thriving community.

It was in 1795 that Samuel Forney, grand-
father of Samuel H., constructed for himself
arid family a sightly Colonial mansion, the
substantial character of which is attested by
the fact that it is today in a state of excellent
preservation. At the time of its erection it
was one of the most stately residences of the
county, and even then the locality had for gen-
erations become by association dear to the For-
ney family.

John .\.dam Forney, the original ancestor
of the family in York county, migrated from



Switzerland, his native land, in 1734, and set-
tled at what is now Hano\'er, York county,
locating on a tract of 600 acres, much of which
he cleared up and put in a state of excellent
cultivation.

Philip Forney, son of John Adam and'
great-grandfather of Samuel H., lived on the
old Forney farm near the site of the old "long
log house," which Michael Fisher remembered
as standing under the willow trees at the chain
of springs in the "little meadow," on the site
of the present spring house. The original
stable stood on the rising ground to the west,
where the present house stands. An old pear
tree, traditionally said to have been brought
from Germany, stood within the memory of
living persons at the back porch of the log
house. In the spring at the edge of the grove
in the large meadow Indian mothers were said
to have bathed their papooses. Here, a few
rods to the west of the old house, Samuel For-
ney built the colonial mansion. He is said to
ha\-e been the last slave holder in York coitnty,
the last survivor of slavery having been "old
Uncle Sam," who died in 1841. The small
houses, all but one now gone, on the West-
minster road just before it enters the Frederick
road, were orig'inally built as slave quarters.

Samuel Forney, son of Philip, was born on
the Forney farm April 23, 1762. He mar-
ried Susanna Karle, daughter of George Adam
Karle, and- to them were born a large family
of children. Samuel Forney was deprived of
his sight by a nail striking his eye, March 21,
1832, sur\'iving the misfortune twelve years.

Karle Forney, son of Samuel and father of
Samuel H., was born on the old Forney farm
in October, 1810. Here he was reared, here
he lived through a long and prosperous life,
and here he died in 1887. He engaged in farm-
ing and stock raising on the old farm, and was
a man esteemed for his many sterling virtues.
In politics he was a Democrat, and was on var-
ious occasions called by his fellow citizens to
fill local public office. He married Mary Ann
Hay, a native of York county, and the daugh-
ter of John and Susan (Smyser) Hay, the
former a fifer in the war of 181 2. Karle
Forney and wife were devout members of the
Lutheran Church. Six children were born to
them: Samuel H. : ^^'illiam G., of Wyoming;
Susan, who married Andrew Delone, of Han-
over; John W., of Steubenville, Ohio; Robert




(Tj)^l^7-lytAjJL^



tt^e^-iyo



"^



BIOGRAPHICAL



297



L., of Oakland, Cal. ; and George F., of Mon-
tana.

Samuel H. Forney was born on the old
homestead ^March 28, 1839. He received his
education in the public schools of Hanover,
after which he assisted his father on the home
farm. He has continued to reside on the farm
all his life, first as the assistant of his father,
and now as the sole owner. The farm con-
sists of 131 acres of valuable land, immediate-
ly adjoining the borough of Hanover, and a
great portion of it is doubtless destined to be-
come \'aluable building" lots. The present build-
ings on the farm include a substantial brick
dwelling, and a large bank barn 50x100 feet,
built by Karle Forney in 1863. The farm
bears every evidence of thrift and prosperity.
For about twenty years Mr. . Forney has been
extensively engaged in the dairy business, sup-
plying his numerous customers in Hanover
with the product of a carefully selected herd
of cows. In 1893 he leased the premises and
retired from the active management of the
property. In politics Mr. Forney is a stanch
Democrat.

In 1868 Mr. Forney married Mary C.
Young, who was ,born in Adams county in
1845, daughter of Samuel P. and Margaret
(\\^ill) Young. To this union were born the
following children: Mary M., wife of John
H. Fleming, who succeeded his father, D. C.
Fleming, in the management of the "Central
Hotel," and upon his retirement from the same
engaged in the buying and selling of cattle, and
the management of his farm in Adams coun-
ty : Laura, Avho married J. H. Mackleduff, a
prominent lumber dealer in Hanover: and
Elizabeth, at home. Mr. Forney and family
are members of Emanuel Reformed Church.
Mrs. Forney died Oct. 9, 1904, after a brief
illness. She was a lover of home, and is deeply
mourned by many friends who knew her warm
womanly heart.

JACOB S. BENTZ, a farmer of Carroll
township and ex-county commissioner of York
county, was born April 28, 1836, in Warring-
ton township, son* of Jacob L. and Elizabeth
(Slothour) Bentz.

Jacob L. Bentz was born in Codorus town-
ship. His education was obtained in the com-
mon schools, after leaving which he took up
farming, an occupation he continued all of his



life. He operated on a farm of 115 acres in
Warrington township, and was considered to
be well-to-do. By his first wife, Elizabeth
Slothour, he had eleven children, as follows :
John; Michael; Susan, deceased, wife of
Henry Arnold; Mary, deceased, wife of John
L. Wireman; Jacob S. ; Lewis; Rebecca, who
married Samuel Deardorff; David; Leah, who
married Rudolph Saunders; Adam; and Fred-
erick. I\Irs. Bentz was a Lutheran in relig-
ion, and died in that faith in 1851, being
aged forty years. Mr. Bentz' second wife was
Susan Hartman, who survived him. He died
in 1873, aged seventy years.

Jacob S. Bentz attended the schools of
Warrington township, and in his spare time as-
sisted his father in the farm work. He mar-
ried Caroline Spahr, daughter of William and
Catherine (Wiley) Spahr. After marriage
they located in Warrington township, where
Mr. Bentz followed the carpenter's trade for
about eleven years, afterward engaging in
farming in that township. He continued to
farm for nine years, and then spent two years
in Dover township. He came to Carroll town-
ship in 1869, purchasing a farm of 107 acres
from Henry Arnold. This is situated about one
mile from Dillsburg, along the York road, and
here he erected a new set of buildings, now
having one of the finest farms in the county.

The following children have been born to
Mr. and Mrs. Bentz : Oliver W., who is oper-
ating the home farm, married Annie Fre} -
singer. daughter of Lewis Freysinger, and has
one daughter, Ruth Emma, a lass of twelve
years, who is attending school: William
Henry, died when eleven months old; Calvin
L., who married Lizzie Lau, _died when
thirty-one. years old; and Jacob C, died when
five months old. Mr. Bentz is a Democrat,
and has served his township as supervisor,
school director and auditor for fifteen years.
In the years 1881-2-3 he was elected county
commissioner of York county, and he filled
the office satisfactorily and efficiently. He is
a Lutheran, and has held a deaconship in the
Barrens Church. He is well known and
highly esteemed throughout the county.

WEBSTER MILLARD was born July
29, 1843, J" Fairview township, son of Jacob
and Anna (Jones) Millard.

Samuel Millard, the e-reat-s-randfather of



298



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



W'ebster, came from England and settled in
Fairview township, \\'hei-e he took up 300
acres of land, and followed farming up to the
time of his death.

Benjamin Millard, one of the three sons
of Samuel, received his share of the 300 acres
which were divided among him and his broth-
ers. Like his father, he followed farming all
of his life and he was buried in the old ceme-
tery near Lewisberry. Fie married a Miss
Strominger, who is buried beside him. Be-
sides Jacob, who is mentioned below, their
children were: Rachael, who married Samuel
Laird, died at Pinetown, Fairview township;
Mary, who married Peter Crestley, died in In-
diana ; Sarah, also died in Indiana ; Rebecca is
the widow of Jacob Uricli, and is living in
Fairview township; Catherine, who died in
Washington, first married a Mr. Collins, and
second a Mr. Walter ; Samuel, who married
Sarah Drawbough, died in Fairview town-
ship ; Michael, who married Martha Ort, is a
blacksmith by trade, but followed lime burn-
ing, and is now living retired at Steelton; and

Andrew, who married Sophia , died

at Middletown, Dauphin county.

Jacob Millard, the father of our subject,
was born in 181 1, on the old home in Fair-
view township, where he received a common
school education. He married Annie Jones,
and located in Fairview township, buying the
home farm, where he remained until his death,
which occurred in June, 1876. His wife died
in 1850, and they are both buried at Moore's
Church in Fairview township. In politics Mr.
Millard was a Republican. The children born
to this worthy couple were as follows : An-
drew B., born in 1838, married Mary Machlin,
and died Oct. 26, 1903, aged sixty-five years,
eight months and eighteen days; Mary Eliza-
beth, born in 1839, is the widow of Isaac B.
Willard, and is living at Newmarket, Fair-
view township: Annie Sarah, born in 1840,
died single; Webster; Rachel, who married
Henry Dietz, is living at Myerstown, Lebanon
county, and has one son living and three chil-
dren dead.

AVebster Millard attended the township
schools until eighteen years of age, and re-
mained at home with his father tuitil his thir-
tieth year. In 1873 '""^ married Lydia Ann
Ellicker, daughter of Henry and Belinda ( Sny-
der) Ellicker. Henry Ellicker was born Dec.



21, 1825, and died Aug. 31, 1901. He served
in the Civil war as a corporal of Company I,
200th P. V. I. He married Belinda Snyder,
born May 29, 1834, and the following children
were born to this union : Michael, born
March 29, 1852; Susan, born Jan. 8, 1854;
Lydia A., born Aug. 31, 1855, Jacob S., born
Feb. 14, 1859; Henry Wihiam, born Dec. 21,
i860; Rachel J., born April 24, 1863; John
C, born March 28, 1865; Mary Ida, born May
2, 1867; George W., born July 6, 1869; Sarah
Alice, born' June 28, 1871 ; Belinda E., born
Nov. 22, 1875 ; and Emma May, born July 24,
1880. Mr. Ellicker followed farming for a
time in Warrington township, but later re-
moved to Miami Co., Ohio, near the town of
Troy, where he died. Mrs. Ellicker, his widow
is still residing there.

After marriage Mr. and Mrs. Millard lo-
cated in Fairview township, and bought the
George Traver farm of 109 acres of land,
which was formerly one of the old Strominger
farms. Mr. Millard has since been engaged in
general farming and has been very successful
in his operations. He and his family are very
highly esteemed in the township. The chil-
dren born to Mr. and Mrs. Webster Millard
are as follows : Sylvan E. ; Tacy Elizabeth,
who married Elmer H. Sutton, and is living at
Pinetown, Fairview township ; Calvin T. ; and
Ralph W. In politics Mr. Millard is a Re-
publican, and has held the office of supervisor,
also having served on the election board as in-
spector.

JOITN B. BRENEMAN, a retired mer-
chant of York, is descended on both sides
from old families in Lancaster county, and is
allied with many others who have been identi-
fied with that part of Pennsylvania for gener-
ations. Mr. Breneman was born in East
Donegal township, Aug. 9, 1827. son of John
and Elizabeth (Musser) Breneman.

The maternal grandfather was Henry
Musser, a prominent farmer in Pequea town-
ship, Lancaster county, and was one of the
early settlers there. His wife. Annie, bore
him three sons and two daughters : Elizabeth,
Anna, Henry, Benjamin and John. Among
the paternal grandfather's children were :
Mrs. Gish; Joseph: Abraham: Michael, and
John.

John Breneman, father of John B., was



BIOGRAPHICAL



299



born in East Donegal township, Lancaster
county, April 6, 1792. He was a farmer by
occupation and one of the representative men
of that section. His death occurred Feb. 20,
1868, at the age of seventy-five years, ten
months and fourteen days, while his wife
passed away aged sixty-eight years, six
months and twenty-four days. They had a
large family, as follows : Henry, deceased ;
a farmer in Jackson county, Kansas, who mar-
ried (first) Miss Annie Gish, and (second)
Miss Annie Nissley; Annie, Mrs. Christian
Bosler, who died in Maytown, Lancaster
county; Benjamin, deceased, who married
Miss Maria Cassel, now a resident of Reading,
Pa. ; Fannie, wife of John N. Graybill both of
whom died in Dickinson county, Kans. ; Eliza-
beth, deceased, at Marietta, the wife of Hon.
Henry M. Engle, who served in the State Leg-
islature in 1871-72; David, who married (first)
Miss Breneman. and (second) Miss Annie
Graybill, and who died in McPherson, Kan-
sas; Barbara, who married (fii'St) Joseph
Engle, and after his death Mr. Postlemore,
now residing at Elizabethtown, Lancaster
county; John B. ; Joseph, who married Miss
Barbara Hersey, of McPherson, Kansas;
Simeon, deceased in Sterling, III., who mar-
ried (first) Mina Fletcher, and (second) Miss
Rutt; and Mary, the widow of John Ha-
maker, of Middletown, Dauphin county.

John B. Breneman was given the usual
common school education, attending there un-
td he was seventeen years old. He remained
at home five years longer, and then went to
work for Henry H. Engle. After his marriage
in 1853, he located at Marietta until 1869, then
moved to Frederick county, Md., and at the
end of fifteen years returned to Pennsylvania.
On April i, 1895, Mr. Breneman located again
in Lancaster county, but two years later came
to York, built a handsome residence, and went
into the grocery business. The enterprise was
more than successful, but in 1903 Mr. Brene-
man retired altogether from active life, and
the business, after a year under the manage-
ment of his son, Daniel, was sold out.

Mr. Breneman's wife was Miss Fannie
Engle, to whom he was married in October,
i8:;3. She was born in 183 q. a daughter of
Daniel and Mary (Graybill) Engle. Mrs.
Breneman bore her husband children as fol-



lows : Annie, Mrs. Rogers N.- Neighbor, of
Frederick City, Md. ; Elizabeth. Mrs. George
Longenecker, a resident of Philadelphia, at
present traveling in California ; Monroe, who
died in Frederick Co., Md., aged thirteen ;Mar-
tha, Mrs.Wihiam B. Keller, of Mt.Air, Carroll
Co., Md. ; Rhoda, Mrs. Elmer E. Grove, of
Maytown ; Alice and Ella, twins, the former
married to C. E. Ramsbaugh, of York, and the
latter to H. B. Picking, of the same city;
Myra, who married George Antran, an oper-
ator for the Pennsylvania Railroad, residing
at Atglen, Chester Co., Pa. ; Harry, who died
at the age of sixteen ; Lottie, wife of H. B.
Gochenauer, a merchant in Lancaster City,
Pa. ; Mary, wife of William H. Keller, super-
intendent of a mine in Cambria county. Pa. ;
and Daniel, who married Miss Lucinda Par-
mer, and who is a carpenter employed by the
York Manufacturing Company.

John B. Breneman has always shared
actively in the various phases of life about
him ; his religious belief has led him to unite
with the Church of God, and in it he has served
both as elder and member of the building com-
mittee when the present edifice was erected.
In politics he is a Prohibitionist. In business
matters he was always keen, alert and ener-
getic, and won respect and esteem both for his
ability and honorable methods.

JOSEPH HILDEBRAXD, late of Spring-
field township, was born April 15, 1819, and
died Dec. 18, 1906, aged eighty-six years, eight
months and three days, and is buried at St.
Peter's Reformed Church.

Daniel Hiklebrand, father of Joseph, was
also a native of Spring-field township, and a
shoemaker by trdae. In his later life he gave
up shoemaking, and engaged in agricultural
pursuits. He and his wife, who had been Mar-
garet Fleiger, Avere both buried at St. Peter's
Reformed Church, in Spring-field township.
Their children were : William, Mathias.
Joseph, Caroline and Daniel, twins, and [Mar-
garet.

Joseph Hildebrand attended the township
schools and learned the shoemaking trade,
which he followed in connection with farming.
■\lr. Hildebrand was very well known in
Spring-field township, where he owned an ex-
cellent farm of forty-four acres, which he pur-



300



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



chased from John Goodhng, and he himself
erected all of the buildings. i\Ir. Hildebrand
was living- a retired life for some years. He
was in the best of health until the last six years
of his life and was noted for his remarkable
memory. His death resulted from a stroke of
apoplexy. He was a faithful member of St.
Peter's Reformed Church, in which he always
took an active part. In politics he was a Dem-
ocrat, and was township treasurer and also
served on the election board. Mr. Hildebrand
married Lydia Goodling, daughter of Jacob
Goodling, and to this union were born : Jacob,
who married Catherine Sheaffer, born Feb. 29,
1848, died Oct. 15, 1872, aged twenty-four
years, seven months, twelve days; Eli G.,
married to Eliza Anstine, lives in Shrews-
bury township ; Malinda, the wife of Augustus
Seitz, lives at Seven Valley. Mrs. Hildebrand
died Sept. 28, 1858, aged thirty-one years, nine
months, five days, and was buried at the Good-
ling burial ground in Spring-field township.
Mr. Hildebrand married (second) Elizabeth
Miller, daughter of Michael and Mary Ann
(Warner) Miller, and to this union were born :
Rebecca, born Sept. 28, 1862, is the wife of
H. N. Stiles, of Springfield township; Daniel
M., born Sept. 4, 1868, married Elsie M. Lau,
daughter of Samuel and Catherine (Hamm)
Lau, and has always remained at home, and is,
at present, farming the old homestead.

THOMAS BYRD GLATZ HIESTAND,
whose real estate and insurance office is at No.
8 West King street, York, Odd Fellows Hall
building, was born in Springetsbury township
(which was formerly part of Spring Garden
township) in the same room of the old "York
Valley House," in which his father had been
born, Dec. 12, 1858, son of John S. Hkstand,
a farmer living about two and a half miles east
of York, on the Wrightsville road, an ex-
tended sketch of whom will be found else-
where, and whose ancestors are among the old-
est and best known in York county.

Thomas B. G. Hiestand was educated in
the public schools of the vicinity, and, after
working on the farm for a time, taught school
for several terms and then became deputy reg-
ister of wills of York county, having previously
held a number of township offices. For ten
years Mr. Hiestand was manager and part



owner of the York Gazette, and after dispos-
ing of his interest in this paper, he embarked
in the real estate and insurance business. In
1887 he graduated from the Maryland Law
School, and he was admitted to the Maryland
and York county Bars, but never practiced the
profession. Mr. Hiestand had, earlier in his
career, attended the Normal Department of
the York County Academy, his preceptors be-
ing Profs. Kain, Gardiner and George R.
Prowell.

On Dec. 8, 1897, Mr. Hiestand married
Adaline G. Fallon, daughter of J. C. Fallon,
a retired planing mill owner of York. Two
children were born to this union, John Fal-
lon and Frances Mary. In fi'aternal circles
Mr. Hiestand is connected with the Masonic
fraternity, and is also a member of the Odd
Fellows, K. of M. C, K. of P., O. U. A. M.,
Y. M. D. Society, Spring Garden R. A. and of
the Good Will Fire Company, having been a
member of the latter for more than twenty
3'ears. Mir. Hiestand is a member of
Trinity Reformed Church. In politics he is
a Democrat, and takes great interest in the suc-
cess of his party, although he is no politician.
He has many stanch friends throughout the
county.

GEORGE B. FORRY, a practical farmer
operating in North Codorus township, is a na-
tive of York county, born in Heidelberg town-
ship, in 1846, son of George Forry and grand-
son of John.

John Forry, the grandfather, was a farmer
of Heidelberg township, where he died aged
seventy-five years, and was buried at Bear's
Meeting House. His children were : Peter,
David, Benjamin, George, Jacob and John.

George Forry, father of George B., was a
hatter by trade, having learned that trade in
Hanover. He followed that occupation only
a short time, however, when he learned the
tanner's trade, which he followed for about
eighteen years. He later went to farming,
owning six farms in York county, with a total
acreage of 800 acres. Prior to his death he
lived retired for a number of years, dying in
Heidelberg township, aged seventy-five years.
He is buried at Garber's Mennonite Meeting
House. He married Nancy Boyer, and to them
were born: John, George B., Daniel, Joseph,



BIOGRAPHICAL



301



Magdalena, Nancy, Katie, Amanda and Sarah.

George E. I^orry attended the township
schools, having to walk three miles to the Rey-
nolds school. He later attended the Bear's
school, which was closer, and still later went
to Garber's Meeting House. From the age of
twelve to nineteen years he attended the pub-
lic schools. Mr. Forry remained at home until
twenty-six years of age, when his father pur-
chased for him the farm he now owns, contain-
ing no acres.

At the age of twenty-eight years Mr. Forry
married Katie Swartz, daughter of Dietrich
Swartz, and to this union were born : Charles
S., a graduate of the Cumberland Valley State
Normal school, class of 1899, received a busi-
ness education at Lancaster, Pa., and now
holds the position of teller of the First Na-
tional Bank of Spring Grove ; Leroy is a
student in the Cumberland Valley State Nor-
mal school; and Lena is at home.

Mr. Forry is a Democrat, and served his
township as school director three years, and as
auditor for nine years. His wife is a member
•of St. Paul's Lutheran Church, at Spring
Grove, Pa. Mr. Forry is very popular in the
township, and bears a justly won reputation
for honesty and integrity. He has secured such
excellent results from his farming operations
that he has an exceptionally good farm, pro-
vided with good substantial buildings, and
well-stocked.

GEORGE G. HEIGES was born in War-
rington township, Dec. 6, 1839, son of George
and Anna (Hagerman) Heiges, and is now
living retired in Monaghan township.

Henry Heiges, grandfather of George G.
Heiges, was born in Pennsylvania, of German
parentage. He spent nearly all of his life in
Franklin township, where he owned several
farms. He was the father of these children :
Rebecca, Elizabeth, Hannah, Mary, George,
Jacob, ( Daniel, Abraham, and Henry. Henry
Heiges was a member of the Lutheran Church.
His wife died young, while Mr. Heiges died
in the fifties.

George Heiges, father of George G., was
born in Franklin township, where he received
his education in the common schools. He became
the owner of his father's property, which he
cultivated all his life, except ten years previous
to his death, at the age of seventy-eight years.



when he lived retired. His wile died in 1867,
aged sixty years. .\Ir. and Airs. Heiges were
valued members of the German Reformed
Church, of which he was a liberal supporter.
Politically he was a stanch Democrat. These
children were born to them: Henry, Jonas,
Levi, George G., Joseph, John, Solomon and
Mary A.

George G. Heiges received his education in
the common schools of Warrington township,
and learned the carpenter's trade, which he
followed for eighteen years, later becoming a
tenant farmer, continuing in this until he
bought a farm in \Varrington township, which
he later sold. In 1897 Mr. Heiges bought his
present farm, which consists of seventy-nine
acres of well-cultivated land, and Mr. Heiges
has lived retired for some time.

In 1870 Mr. Heiges was married to Miss
Mary Harbold, born in Washington township,



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 57 of 201)