Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 6 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 6 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


confirmed. This historic old home was in Nor-
heim, near Bingen-on-the-Rhine. The Doc-
tor's father, grandfather and great-grandfath-
er conducted freighting and passenger traffic
in the old country, and managed large landed



BIOGRAPHICAL



27



estates. The mother of our subject was EHza-
beth Beyer, daughter of Jacob Beyer, of Nied-
erhausen, Germany, who was the possessor of
vineyards and landed estates. The Doctor has
one sister, Anna Maria, now the widow of Rev.
John W. Lake, D. D., who was pastor of the
Lutheran Church of Montgomery, Pa., and
who died Feb. 9, 1904, in his sixty-eighth year.

Dr. Enders, when a lad of thirteen, landed
in New York City, and then went to Peapack,
N. J., where he gained his first knowledge of
the English language. After attending the
district school for some time young Enders
was appointed assistant to the teacher of the
school he attended, and took private lessons
from his pastor. He next attended the Hart-
wick Seminary, New York, and after four
years of classical studies and three years of
theological studies was graduated in the class
of 1868, and was licensed to preach that same
)'ear, being ordained to the ministry in 1869.
During his last two years as a theological stu-
dent Dr. Enders preached at Maryland, Otsego
Co., N. Y., where he organized a congrega-
tion and built a church.

Dr. Enders's first charge was at Bridg'eton,
N. J., where he was pastor of St. John's Luth-
eran Church for four years and while there he
took a post-graduate course in the Mt. Airy
Lutheran Seminary, in Philadelphia, and also
a course of lectures in Pennsylvania Univer-
sity. On May i, 1873, he became pastor of
St. James Lutheran Church, at Gettysburg, re-
maining there two years. His health break-
ing down at this time, Dr. Enders tendered his
resignation and traveled for two years, when,
having recovered his health, he accepted a call
on June i, 1876, to St. Paul's Lutheran Church
at Richmond, Ind., remaining there six yeai«,
at the end of which time he was called to the
pastorate of Christ Lutheran Church, York.
This mother church of Lutheranism in York
was founded Sept. 23, 1733, and the large con-
gregation of Christ Church is now worship-
ping in the third edifice that has been erected.
Dr. Enders located in York July i, 1882, and
from the beginning of his labors here to the
present his efiforts have been marked with suc-
cess. He has paid the church debt, erected a
$30,000 building, built a parsonage which is
paid for, and spent $8,000 additional in other-
wise improving the church property. Among
other notable things that the church possesses
is a $2,500 organ, presented to the church by



Frederick Greinman, in memory of an eight-
year-old grandchild, who was the daughter of
J. A. Dempwolf, the architect. The child's
name was Margaret Wilhelmina Dempwolf.
Mr. Dempwolf has been for many years sup-
erintendent of Christ Sunday-school.

Over a century ago one Barbara Schmidt
left a small property to Christ Lutheran
Church. This property was converted into
money, and a pipe organ was purchased and in-
stalled in the old stone church, where it re-
mained until 1 814, when it was stored away
until the church was completed. It was in
constant use until July, 1905, when it was
transferred to the chapel. After it was re-
built in the chapel this organ was re-dedicated
in November, 1905, and is known as the Bar-
baira Schmidt Memorial Organ.

Dr. Enders married Phoebe A. Miller,
daughter of David T. Miller, a farmer of Deer-
field, Cumberland Co., N. J., his bride having
been organist and choir leader of Emmanuel
Lutheran Church, at Friesburg, N. J., of which
church Dr. Lake, brother-in-law of Dr. End-
ers, was pastor. Six children were born of
this union, of whom one died in infancy, and
John Lake, another child, died Aug. 6, 1885,
in Deerfield, N. J., while visiting his grand-
father. The survivors are : Rev. George W.,
Jr., born at Bridgeton, N. J., Aug. 10, 1871, is
now the pastor of the Lutheran Church at
Clearfield, Pa. ; he has a son, George W. (HI).
Caroline R. married July 7, 1903, Rev.
George Bayard Young, B. D., who after tour-
ing Europe, became pastor of St. Matthew's
Lutheran Church, at Brooklyn, N. Y. Rev.
Martin Luther Enders, B. D., born Feb. 11,
1868, at Richmond, Ind., is now pastor of Sa-
lem Lutheran Church, Catonsville, a suburb of
Baltimore, Md., where, in a pastorate of one
and a half years, he built a $35,000 church; he
was married Oct. 7, 1902, to Grace Hubner,
daughter of John Hubner, president of the
State Senate of Maryland for three terms.
Paul Melanchton, born April 15, 1887, after
attending York Collegiate Institute became a
student in the Susquehanna University at Sel-
insgrove, and later entered Hartwick Semi-
nary in Otsego county, N. Y., where he is a
member of the class of 1909.

Dr. Enders is vice-president of the Home
Mission board of the General Synod of the
Lutheran Church, of which he has been for
seventeen years a member. He was a director



28



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



of the Theological Seminary of Gettysburg for
fifteen years; a number of years director of
Wittenberg College, at Springfield, Ohio, and
was president of the Susquehanna University,
Selinsgrove, Pa., for three years. Dr. Enders
takes an active interest in the Luther League,
being a great friend of the young people. His
church work is of the broadest and most lib-
eral type, and he has raised hundreds of thou-
sands of dollars for church work at home and
abroad. In 1877 the degree of A. M. was con-
ferred upon him by Wittenberg College, and in
1889 the same college conferred upon him the
■degree of D. D.

The old stone home in which Dr. Enders
and many of his ancestors were born, in Ger-
many, was a place of refuge for Lutherans in
the days of the Reformation. Distinguished
men from all over Europe visited his ances-
tors in this historic place, and the castle of
Ebernburg (sign of the "Boar"), "belonged
to his ancestors. The latter contained secret
chambers, and it, too, was a place of refuge.
Indeed the incidents associated with this cas-
tle and the old stone house in which Dr. En-
ders was born would, in themselves, if fully
and faithfully narrated, fill this volume.

HENRY CARPENTER NILES is a de-
scendant in the eighth generation from Capt.
John Niles, the progenitor of this branch of
the Niles family in America, who crossed the
ocean from Wales with the early Pilgrims in
1630, and settled in Braintree, Mass. The
different members of the family continued to
reside in New England for many generations,
taking a leading part in the "building of the
Republic."

William Niles, grandfather of Henry C.'
Niles, was for many years a merchant and citi-
zen of Spencertown, N. Y. His son, Henry E.
Niles, father of Henry C, was an eminent
divine of the Presbyterian Church, for thirty-
five years serving the First Church of York.
His death. May 14, 1900, caused profound
sorrow and regret. His career will be more
fully noted elsewhere.

On the maternal side Henry C. Niles also
comes from Pilgrim stock. His grandfather,
Sumner Marsh, was a manufacturer of Lowell,
Mass. He held office in the Boston Custom
House by appointment of President Lincoln,
and returned to his birthplace at Southbridge,
Mass., where he lived in retirement until his



death at the age of eighty-seven. His wife
was a direct descendant of Capt. John Mason,
the celebrated Indian fighter, who achieved
distinction in the Pequot war. Capt. Mason
was of English birth and came to America
in 1630.

Henry Carpenter Niles was born in An-
gelica, Allegany Co., N. Y., June 17, 1858.
His education was received in the schools of
York, Pa. After finishing the courses in the
York County Academy and the York Col-
legiate Institute, he engaged as a clerk in the
First National Bank of York. He attended
the Columbia University Law School, where
he graduated in 1880, also read law under the
Hon. Robert J. Fisher, at York, and became
familiar with legal practice in New York City
in the offices of James Brooks Dill and Miller
& Peckham. Admitted to practice the same
year he graduated, and later, in 1882, to the
Supreme Court, he soon became recognized as
a leader in trial practice. Mr. Niles is much
esteemed among his fellow practitioners, and
his colleagues in the Pennsylvania Bar Asso-
ciation honored him in 1904 by election to the
presidency of that body. He has been promi-
nently urged for the Common Pleas and Su-
preme Court Judgeship, being more than or-
dinarily qualified for a seat on the Bench, the
acceptance of which, however, would involve
no little pecuniary sacrifice for one enjoying
the practice he has won. He has achieved a
reputation State-wide in its extent as an astute
and successful practitioner of the law, the
business of his firm, Niles & Neff, carrying
him into all the prominent courts of the State.
His foremost position at the Bar of York
county is universally recognized. Mr. Niles
has also made a reputation for himself as a
legal and literary writer and speaker. As presi-
dent of the Pennsylvania Bar Association he
won merited distinction, and his address made
before that body at Bedford Springs, Pa., June
27, 1905, in which he boldly denounced the
State Legislature for violating its oaths and
the Constitution, brought forth high com-
mendation from the thinking members of his
profession, and from good citizens every-
where.

Mr. Niles was married in 1886 to Miss
Lillie Schall, a daughter of Michael Schall, of
York. To this marriage was born one son,
Michael Schall Niles.

Mr. Niles has never aspired to a political



BIOGRAPHICAL



29



career. He is a man of varied interests, and
holds many positions of trust. Though he is
still in middle life, he has achieved distinction
in his profession, being senior member of the
law firm of Niles & Neff, counsel and director
of the Maryland & Pennsylvania Railroad
Company, and president of the Keystone Farm
Machine Company.

Mr. Niles is a life member of the York
County Historical Society, his influence always
being used to promote its best interests. Fra-
ternally he is a member of the Freemasons,
and has attained the Knight Templar degree.
Politically he is a Republican of the independ-
ent type. In religious faith a Presbyterian, he
has for many years been a supporter of the
First Presbyterian Church and a member of
the Board of Trustees.

GEOFFREY P. YOST, of the well known
firm of William Smith ii Co., extensive drug-
gists of York, was born in Dover, York Co.,
Pa., on March 6, 1837. He is the grandson
of John Yost, one of the pioneer settlers of
Dover, and the son of Henry Yost, a native
of the same place. Henry Yost married Miss
Sarah Lenhart, a daughter of Peter Lenhart, a
farmer of Dover township, York county. To
this marriage only two children were born :
Oliver J. (a former merchant of Dover, now
deceased) and Geoffrey P.

, Geoffrey P. Yost received his education in
the schools of Dover and at the York County
Academy. After teaching a short time he en-
tered the book and drug store kept by Rev.
Solomon Oswald, mastering the business there.
In March, 1859, he entered the service of C. A.
Morris & Co., druggists, which merged into-
the firm of William Smith & Co., the
business having been founded in 1823. By
close attention to business Mr. Yost made his
services so valuable that in 1872 he was taken
into the firm as a member. On the death of Mr.
Smith the firm name remained unchanged.
The company now consists of the William
Smith Estate, Geoffrey P. Yost, and Horace
Smith, a son of the deceased.

Mr. Yost married Miss Virginia E. Frey,
daughter of Dr. Levi Frey, who at the time
of his death was a practicing physician of
York. To this marriage were born five chil-
dren, four sons and one daughter : ( i ) Ed-
mund Geoffrey, died at two and one-half years
of age. (2) Donald Henry, attorney-at-law.



was born Sept. 16, 1879, attended the York Col-
legiate Institute, graduating in 1898, and in the
fall of the same year entered the University
of Pennsylvania. After taking one year in the
collegiate department he entered the law de-
partment of the university, graduating in the
year 1902 with the degree of LL. B. In De-
cember, 1902, he was admitted to practice in
the courts of York county and later to the
Supreme court of the State. (3) Frederick
Randolph, pursued a course of tvi^o years at
the University of Pennsylvania, and later
studied at the Philadelphia College of Phar-
macy, class of 1906. (4) Richard Frey is at-
tending the York County Academy. (5) Ma-
rion Louise is a graduate of the York Collegiate
Institute, and afterward became a student at
Wells College, New York.

Besides his interest in the drug store Mr.
Yost has been identified with many other mat-
ters which have added to the progress of the
city. He is one of the organizers of the Edi-
son Electric Light Company, of York, and was
its president for fifteen years (1884-99), un-
til it passed into the hands of a syndicate. He
is vice-president of the City Bank. Except
that he is identified with the fraternal organi-
zation known as the Artisans, he is not a mem-
ber of any lodge. Mr. Yost belongs to St.
Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church of York^
Pa., and is active in all the interests with which
he is identified, being an untiring as well as-
successful worker.

HORACE SMITH, member of the firm of
William Smith & Co., one of the oldest and
most prominent drug concerns of York, was-
born in that city Oct. 3, 1857, son of Williami
and Mary Elizabeth (Boyer) Smith.

William Smith was born in Strasburg, Lan-
caster Co., Pa., and removed to York when
only twelve years of age, finding employment
with C. A. Morris, druggist, and afterward be-
coming the owner of the business. In this he
continued until his death, April 27, 1888, be-
ing then in his sixty-fifth year and having
spent half a century in the drug business. He
was a devout member of St. Paul's Lutheran
Church, having been a member of the church
council for many years, and no man in the-
city was more highly esteemed or more widely
beloved. He married Mary Elizabeth Boyer,
a member of a prominent Baltimore family, and"



30



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



she became the mother of eight children, as
follows : Annie S., who married Dr. J . D.
Heiges, dentist, of York, whose full sketch will
be found elsewhere; Ida S., the wife of Pro-
fessor Bauger (deceased), of Gettysburg,
Pennsylvania; Mary E., who married W. H.
McClellan, merchant, of York; Cassandra, at
home; Horace; two children who died in in-
fancy; and Charles M., who died in 1879, aged
twenty-seven years.

Horace Smith received his education in the
York high school, the York County Academy
and the York Collegiate Institute. He entered
his father's drug store at the age of fifteen years
and became a member of the firm in 1879. Mr.
Smith is a partner in the business and repre-
sents his father's estate as well, his partner
being Geoffrey P. Yost.

Horace Smith was married to Margaret M.
Schall, . daughter of the late Jacob D. Schall,
president of the First National Bank of York,
and connected with one of the most prominent
families in the city. Two children have come
to this union: Jacob S., Nov. 10, 1882, a grad-
uate of the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy,
class of 1903, and Catherine Dorothy, born
June 17, 1887, who graduated from the York
Collegiate Institute in 1903. Mr. Smith is a
member of St. Paul's Lutheran Church of
York, where he was deacon for many years,
and is as popular in church affairs as he is in
business and social circles.

JOSEPH E. ROSENMILLER, who died
in 1894, was the son of Lewis and Elizabeth
(Eichelberger) Rosenmiller. He was married
May 31, 1855, to Amanda C. Brillinger, and
the young couple moved to York where Mr.
Rosenmiller engaged in the hardware business,
which was his occupation up to the last five
years of his life. His death occurred in 1894,
and he was interred in Prospect Hill cemetery.
Nine children were born to the union of Joseph
E. Rosenmiller and Amanda C. Brillinger,
namely: Mary, who died young; John, who
hved only three years and six months ; Henri-
etta, Laura E., A. Jane and Florence, all at
home; Anna, who died in 1896, aged twenty-
eight; William Frederick, who married Anna
Smyser, and is employed in the York County
Bank, and Joseph F.', who died young. The
family are members of St. John's Episcopal
Church of York. In political belief Mr. Rosen-



miller was a stanch Democrat, but never as-
pired to office.

Mrs. Amanda C. Rosenmiller, who has
been a resident of York for many years, was
born in York county in 1835, daughter of John
and Leah (Smyser) Brillinger. Her father,
born in Manchester township, was the son of
John, a native of Germany, who emigrated to
the United States. The other children in the
grandfather's family, all of whom were born
in Manchester township and died there, were:
Jacob, who married Miss Elizabeth Ebert, and
died in 1895; Polly; Elizabeth; Susan; and
Catherine.

John Brillinger was sent first to the com-
mon school of the township, and then to the
York Academy, for several years, but at the
age of eighteen he inherited his father's farm,
upon which was also a sawmill, and this prop-
erty was under his active management until
1875. From that time until his death, in 1880,
he lived retired. He was buried, as were his
brother and sisters, in Prospect Hill cemetery.
John Brillinger's wife, whose maiden name was
Leah Smyser, was born in Manchester town-
ship, the daughter of Peter and Barbara
(Wolf) Smyser. She died in 1875, and her
remains were laid in the same cemetery where
her husband is buried.

JOSIAH FREDERICK ROSENMIL-
LER, A. M., lawyer and merchant, son of
Lewis and Elizabeth (Eichelberger) Rosen-
miller, is a native of York, and a descendant
of a family prominent in the affairs of York
and Adams counties. Lewis Rosenmiller, his
grandfather, came to this country from Ger-
many with the early settlers and purchased
land in the present area of Adams county, Pa.,
where he married a Miss Bittinger, daughter
of Capt. Nicholas Bittinger, a soldier of the
Revolution. Lewis Rosenmiller, the father of
Josiah, was born in Adams county in 1805,
grew to manhood there, and in 1825 moved to
York, where he engaged in the hardware
business.

Josiah Frederick Rosenmiller obtained his
preliminary education in the public schools of
York and was prepared for college at the York
County Academy. As a student he excelled in
the study of mathematics and the foreign lan-
guages. Entering the College of New Jersey,
now Princeton University, one of the largest
and most influential educational institutions in



BIOGRAPHICAL



31



America, he completed a thorough classical
course there, and was graduated with honors
in the class of 1848. Immediately after re-
ceiving his degree he returned to York and
began the study of law under Hon. Robert J.
Fisher, who later served for a period of thirty
years as president judge of the courts of York
county. He was admitted to the Bar at York
in 1850 and practiced law for several years.
Soon after the death of his father Mr. Rosen-
miller retired from the practice of his pro-
fession and engaged in the hardware business
on the north side of West Market street, near
Centre Square. At thjs place he formed a co-
partnership with his brother, Joseph E. Rosen-
miller, under the firm name of Rosenmiller
& Co. This firm conducted a very large and
prosperous business for a period of forty years,
until the death of his brother, in 1894. Since
that time Mr. Rosenmiller has partially re-
tired from the hardware trade, but has kept
his store open for the accommodation of his
friends and former customers, and still de-
votes his time to his mercantile business in the
room where he achieved so much success as
a merchant in former years, for the Rosen-
miller store has been one of the best known
establishments in York for half a century.
Early in life Mr. Rosenmiller joined the Ma-
sonic fraternity, becoming a member of Zere-
datha Lodge, No. 451, F. & A. M. ; he is also
a member of Howell Chapter, No. 199, Royal
Arch Masons, a position of honor iri the Ma-
sonic fraternity, and is one of two living char-
ter members of the York Club, a social organi-
zation which has held prominence in York for
many years. He is a member of St. John's
Protestant Episcopal Church of York. During
his professional and business career Mr. Rosen-
miller has devoted his leisui-e time to the study
of well selected books. He is a gentleman of
intellectual cultui'e, possessing a vast fund of
interesting and useful information.

REV. ROBERT FISHER GIBSON, son
of Hon. John Gibson, president judge of the
York county courts, was born at York April
.7, 1866. He obtained his preparatory educa-
tion in the York County Academy, York Col-
legiate Institute and Shortlidge's Academy, at
Media, Pa., and then entered Sheffield Scien-
tific School, one of the departments of Yale
University, from which institution he was
graduated in 1887. He attended Columbia
Law School, New York, read law in the of-



fice of Vincent K. Keesey, and was admitted
to the York county Bar in 1890. He was
elected city solicitor in 1892, and was re-elected
in 1894, serving in all four years. Mr. Gibson
then devoted his attention to journalism and
for a number of years was editor of the York
Gazette and one year on the Evening World,
New York, in various capacities. In May^
1900, he was elected mayor of York by the
city councils, to succeed Capt. Frank Geise,
who died while in office. In February of the
next year he was chosen mayor at the general
election, to complete the unexpired term of
his predecessor.

Mr. Gibson began his theological studies
with Rev. Charles J. Wood, rector of St.
John's Episcopal Church, at York, attended
Virginia Theological Seminary, and was or-
dained deacon June 11, 1903, in St. John's
Church at York. He was ordained priest
Nov. 25, 1903, in St. Luke's Church, Altoona,
Pa., and shortly afterward accepted the rector-
ship of Trinity Parish, Williamsport. Since
'1905 he has been editor of the Harrisburg
Churchman, the organ of the Diocese of Har-
risburg. He was married Oct. 3, 1900, to Miss
Harriet McKenney, daughter of the late Gen.
William McKenney, of Center\'ille, Maryland.

ALEXANDER HAMILTON NES (de-
ceased). The city of York lost, by the death
of Alexander Hamilton Nes, which occurred
in 1879, one of its most energetic and honored
citizens. He was for many years closely
identified with the business interests of that
city, and it was his great prudence, judgment
and foresight that made his career so suc-
cessful.

Mr. Nes was born in York, in January,
1827, son of William and Catherine Eva
(Eichelberger) Nes, and was reared in this
city, where he spent his life. He was educated
in the schools of this city, and. when a young
man, in icompany with W. H. Kurtz, took
charge of his uncle's brewery, which he con-
ducted a few years. He then engaged in the
malt business, which occupation he followed
luitil his death. Mr. Nes started in life a poor
boy, and through his own efforts won his way
to wealth and influence. His friends were all
who knew him. He took considerable interest
in the workings of the Democratic party, but
although often urged, would never accept po-
litical office. He was a director in various
institutions, viz. — banks, turnpike companies.



32



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



etc., and was a man of great influence in finan-
cial circles.

Mr. Nes was married in 1856 to Miss Eliza
Brillinger, daughter of John and Leah
(Smyser) Brillinger. Mrs. Nes was born in
Manchester township, where her father owned
and operated farms and mills, and where he
spent his life, as his father, John Brillinger,
likewise a farmer and miller, had also done.
Mrs. Nes was the eldest of eight children:
Amanda C, the wife of Joseph Rosenmiller,
of West York; John, a resident of California;
Horace, deceased; Jacob, a resident of York;
Edwin, deceased ; Henry, deceased ; George,
an insurance man of York; and Eliza, Mrs.
Nes.

Mr. and Mrs. Nes were the parents of two
children: William, born in 1857, educated in
York and at Princeton College, read law with
Mr. Chapin, an attorney, and after his admit-
tance to the bar, give his entire attention to the
legal profession; he died in 1902, leaving- a
widow and one son, — William ; Leah Kate,



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 6 of 201)