Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 60 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 60 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Norman b'rench "baronette," English "baro-*
net," from which comes the English-Irish name
Barnet, Brirnclt, or Barnette.



Samuel J. Barnett was the fourth son of
his parents. His elder brothers were Martin
Sylvester, of Cuba, Mo., where he is president
of the People's Bank ; David Alva, who lost
his life in defense of his country in the war of
the Rebellion wdiile coloi'-sergeant of the 99th
Pa. V. I. ; and William James,' a retired farmer
and canner of Delta, Pa.

Samuel J. -Barnett was born and reared on
a farm and trained to agricultural pursuits.
His father died when he was six years old, and
his education was entrusted to his mother, wdio
struggled hard to give her five children as
good an education as the public and private
schools of the community would afford. He
was fond of reading, an apt student, and early
developed a talent for mathematics, distancing
most of his teachers in that line. Later, how-
ever, his tastes led him more into philosophical
and metaphysical subjects. Early in the year
1866 he spent a few weeks at the Millersville
State Normal School, where he almost imme-
diately gained recognition as an original
thinker and strong debater. His attendance at
this school was broken by terms of teaching to
raise funds. In 1869 he graduated in the ele-
mentary course, and after further teaching and
study finished the scientific course in 1874.
With the exception of a few intervals, he fol-
lowed the vocation of teacher from 1864 to
1884, most of the time in the public and private
schools of his native township. In 1869, after
finishing the elementary course at Millersville,
he became principal of the public schools at
Shamokin, Pa., and organized the high school
of that town. In 1874-75 he filled a similar
position in Lehig-hton, Pa. As a teacher he
was enthusiastic and thorough, and as a dis-
ciplinarian very successful. During the years
', of his teaching he usually gave a few months
each year to farming. In 1865 he went to
Cincinnati, wdiere he was engaged for a time
clerking for the National Publishing Company.
In 1872 also he served as clerk to the Presby-
terian Board of Education, Philadelphia. In
1880 he purchased the Delta Herald, after the
paper had had a precarious existence of eigh-
teen months. Under his care it has become not
only a success as a business venture; but a
power for good wdiich is widely felt, the paper
taking high rank with the oldest papers in the
county. In 1884 lie gave up teaching and de-
voted himself to the editorial and business
management of his paper.

Mr. Barnett has been twice marrie:!; on




^^^A^..^



BIOGRAPHICAL



313



Sept. 14, 1869, he wedded Martha McCurdy,
of Peach Bottom, and _on Sept. I'j, 1883,
Fannie K. Vogt, of York. In hfe, character
and business, Samuel J. Barnett is upright and
very conscientious. He has been a warm ad-
vocate of temperance, and an active worker in
church and Sunday-school. In his youth he
united with the Slateville Presbyterian Church,
with which he is still connected, and has for
nearly twenty years filled the position of Sun-
day-school superintendent. In 1906 he was
elected and installed a ruling elder in the
church. In politics he has been a Republican.
Three times he ran as a candidate for county
superintendent in York county, but tTioughl
acknowledged to stand head and shoulders
above any other candidate, the strong political
sentiment which was brought to bear against
him caused his defeat. Mr. Barnett now lives
in Delta, where he continues to edit and pub-
lish the Herald and Times, having bought the
Delta Times in 1893, and combined it with the
Herald. He is past master of Esdraelon
Lodge, A. F. & A. M., and past grand com-
mander of the Knights of Malta, and a mem-
ber of the Supreme body of that Order.

Mr. Barnett takes an active interest in all
that pertains to the progress and business de-
velopment of his town and community, and
in the moral, educational and material welfare
of the people. Among the enterprises he has
assisted in establishing are the Delta Electric
Light Co., 1 890- 1 89 1, of which he is president,
and the Delta Electric Power Co. in 1896. His
son David Alva, is taking an electric course at
the Pennsylvania State College, a member of
the class of 1907.

MILES C. COOVER, of Warrington
township, York county, was born in Cumber-
land county, Silver Spring township, Nov. 24,
1838, son of George V. and Mary (Backen-
stow) Coover.

Flenry Coo^'er, the paternal grandfather,
was the first of the name to settle in Silver
Spring township, and there he owned one of
the finest farms in the region, to which he
gave his entire attention throughout his life.
He married a Miss Catharine Stave, and they
had three children. Henry, Catharine and
George V.

George \'. Coover, the father of Miles C,
was born in Trindlespring. Cumberland coun-
ty, on the place known as the Mansion Farm.



He, too, was a farmer all his life, and he be-
came by purchase the owner of the family
h">mestead, whither he brought his first wife,
Miss Mary Backenstow, Jan. 16, 1838. By
her he had two children. Miles C. and Elias,
who died in childhood and is buried at Trindle-
spring. Mrs. Mary Coover passed away June
12, 1841, and on May 26, 1844, her husband
was married to Miss Catherine Ginrich. The
children born to them were : Edwin, who was
run over by a heavy wagon and killed, July
4, 1859; Samuel, who died in Kansas City,
Mo., and is buried in Chestnut Hill ; and Lizzie
who married John Seifert, a resident of Me-
chanicsburg, now of Chicago, and had one son,
Ralph, now deceased. George V. Coover was
called from this world, Feb. 27, 1868, and is
buried at Trindlespring church, Cumberland
county.

Miles C. Coover as a boy attended the
township schools, and later took a commercial
course at a school in Carlisle, but on reaching
manhood he concluded to continue the family
traditions and chose a farmer's life. He mar-
ried Miss Katie A. Mishler, daughter of Isaac
and Mary Ann (Brandt) Mishler, and for five
years the young couple lived on the Trindle-
spring farm. Then followed a period of six
years during which Mr. Coover lived retired
from an active life, in Mechanicsburg, but at
the end of that time he moved to \Varrington
township, and in 1880 bought the Joseph
Wright farm, and returned to his former oc-
cupation. The place consists of 104 acres,
much of it in timber, which Mr. Coover is
clearing away. He operates a saw-mill on his
farm, as well as carrying on general farming,
and is very successful along both lines. Since
buying the property, he has built a fine house
on the place for his residence.

The family of Mr. and Mrs. Coover includ-
ed eight children, namely : Iva M., a gradu-
ate of the Shippensburg Normal School, now
teaching at New Cumberland; Myrtle B., who
has taught but is now at home ; Clara, at Me-
chanicsburg; Ada, who has taught but is now
at home; George V., and Ralph, at home; Nellie
and Ethel, attending school. Mr. Coover is
well known in the township, and a man much
respected. In politics he is a Repul)lican.

REUBEN P. STROMIXGER. descended
on both sides from families long- identified with
York county, was born in Newberry township,



314



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Oct. 8, 1S38, son of Michael and Catherine
(Peterman) Strominger.

Alichael Strominger was born in 1799 on
his father's farm in Fairview township, and
was one of a large family, the other members
being as follows : John, who died in Fair-
view township; Henr}' and Jacob, who both
died in Newberry township; Rebecca, who
married Henry Drawbaugh; Sarah, Mrs.
John Millard, who died in Fairview township;
and Catherine, who lived and died in the same
locality, the wife of G. ]M. Travers. Michael
Strommger located in Newberry township,
and in time bought the old Jones farm of about
200 acres, his death occurring in Goldsboro,
Sept. 23, 1873, when he was aged seventy-four
years, four months and eighteen days. On
Jan. 5, 1826, he married Catherine (Peter-
man) Strominger, who died Dec. 14, 1887,
aged seventy-nine years, nine months and
twelve days. Both are buried in Paddletown
cemetery, Newberry township. Mrs. Strom-
inger belonged to one of the very oldest famil-
ies in the county. The children born to this
union were : Susanna, born in Goldsboro,
York county, the wife of Israel Jessup; An-
drew, who married (first) Miss Elizabeth
ISIurray, and (second) a ]\Iiss Johnson, and
who was killed in 1870 in descending a shaft
in a gold mine at \'irginia City, Nevada ; Jacob,
who married Aliss Sarah Beard, and died in
Fairview township ; John and Barbara, who
both died young, the latter in Goldsboro;
Reuben P. ; ]Mary Catherine, who married
John W. Micklin, and died in Harrisburg; and
Elmira J., who died young.

Reuben P. Strominger attended the town-
ship schools till he was twenty-one, mean-
while helping his father on the farm. He
learned the carpenter's trade which he followed
for two years and then took up cigar making,
under John B. Wolf, but had not been engaged
thus long when he enlisted for service in the
Civil war, April 25, 1861, in Company F, i6th
P. V. I., under Col. T. A. Zeigler and Capt.
Myers, of Hanover. He served until July 27,
when he was discharged. In 1863 he re-en-
listed, this time in Company K, 143d P. V. I.,
and was in all the engagements with his regi-
ment, besides doing much guard duty. He was
mustered out on June 12, 1865. From that
time till the spring of 1869 Mr. Strominger
followed farming, but at that period he moved



to Goldsboro, where he still resides. Up to
1900 he was engaged in bridge building, and
as a linesman on the railroad, but in that year
his health failed him so that he was obliged
to give up work, and he has ever since been an
invalid. Mr. Strominger has always been an
ardent Republican, active in the service of his
party, and has held a number of official posi-
tions. He was justice of the peace at Golds-
boro for twenty-one years, at various times
filled all the offices on the election board, was
secretary of the board of health and one of
the school directors of the borough. He also
held the office of constable for ten vears.

On Dec. 9, 1866, Mr. .Strominger was
married to Miss Elizabeth A. Alillard. daugh-
ter of Robert and Anna Barbara (Hale) I\Iil-
lard. Mr. Millard was a successful farmer in
Fairview township, whose death occurred in
1888, three years after that of his wife. Both
are buried in St. John's cemetery at Lewis-
berry. The children born to Mr. and Mrs.
Strominger were two, a son and daughter, viz. :
Franklin, who died in infancy; and Jennie E.,
wife of H. O. Holdenstine, of Harrisburg.

CHARLES A. STRACK bears a name
which has been identified with the annals of
York county for more than threescore years,
while he has here passed his entire life. He
is engaged in the furniture and undertaking
business in York, being practically the suc-
cessor of his honored father in this enterprise.

Mr. Strack was born in York, March 4,
1843, third in- the o rder of birth in a family of
five children, of whom two sons and two
daughters are living.

Cha'rles A. Strack. father of our subject,
was born in the kingdom of Saxony, Germany,
in 1810, and while he was a young man his
parents emigrated, in 1838, to America, set-
tling in Baltimore, Md., where they remained
until the following year, when they came to
York county, where Charles A., Sr., passed
the remainder of his life, his death occurring
in York City in 1855. The father of our sub-
ject accompanied his parents to the New
World, and became one of the early furniture
dealers in York, where he continued in busi-
ness for many years, up to the time of his
death. He was a man of lofty integrity of
character, held the respect of all with whom he
came in contact and was an influential



BIOGRAPHICAL



315



citizen and business man of York. He was a
Democrat in his political proclivities, and both
he and his wife were consistent and devout
members of the German Reformed church,
now known as the Reformed Church in Amer-
ica, having been numbered among the repre-
sentative early members of what is now Trin-
ity Reformed. Caroline (Funk) Strack,
mother of our subject, was born in Germany,
in 1806, and she passed the closing years of
her gracious and useful life in York, being
summoned into eternal rest in 1892.

Charles A. Strack, the immediate subject
of this sketch, was reared to manhood in
York, where his educational advantages were
those afforded in the public schools, which he
attended at intervals until he had attained the
age of twelve years. He entered upon an ap-
prenticeship to the trade of cabinetmaking, un-
der the direction of his older brother, and he
devoted his attention to practical work in this
line for a period of five years, after which he
became general manager of the furniture and
undertaking business established by his father.
In 1878 he purchased his mother's interest in
the business, and has since continued the enter-
prise individually, while he has added in no
small degree to the prestige gained by his
father in connection with this line of industry.
His store is located at Nos. 158 and 160
South George street, and is modern in its
equipment in all departments, while the trade
controlled is of representative character.

Mr. Strack is a public-spirited and pro-
gressive citizen, and has ever shown a loyal
interest in his home town and county. He has
served as a member of the board of education
of the borough, and is identified with numer-
ous fraternal and social organizations. He is
a stanch Democrat in his political allegiance,
while both he and his wife are valued mem-
bers of Trinity Reformed Church.

On May i, 1865, Mr. Strack was united in
marriage to Miss ]\Iary "SI. Heckert, who. like
himself, is a native of York, and they have
six children, Caroline S., Emma J., Charles
P., Rebecca B., Samuel H. and F. }ilargaret.

CORNELIUS SEXFT is successfully
conducting a lucrative business at JNIenges ]\Iill,
Jackson township, in the line of general black-
smithing. Mr. Senft was brrn Dec. 27, 1849,
son of Joseph and Susan (Neff) Senft, and



grandson of Peter and Elizabeth (Baker)
Senft.

The Senft family is descended from Ger-
man ancestry, and Peter Senft, the grand-
father, was reared to agricultural pursuits on
a small farm in Codorus township, where he
spent his whole life. He and his wife were
the parents of the following children : John,
Peter, Jacob, Abraham, Jason, Henry, Conrad,
Joseph,' Catherine, Savannah, and Sallie. Re-
ligiously the family were members of the Lu-
theran Church. Mr. Senft was a Democrat
in politics. His death occurred at the age of
eighty-one years, and his wife passed her sev-
entieth year.

Joseph Senft, the father of Cornelius, spent
his whole life in Codorus township. At an
early age he learned the tailor's trade, which
he followed many years before finally taking
up farming on the old Senft estate, where his
last days were spent. He died in 1872, aged
fifty years. Mrs. Senft died in 1854, at the
age of twenty-seven years when our subject
was but a child. This couple had three chil-
dren, Cornelius ; Catherine, who married Mar-
tin Reber, of Codorus township; and Sophia,
who married John Brillhart, of Manheim
township. In religious belief, the family were
Lutherans. Joseph Senft was a Republican
in politics, but never accepted office.

Cornelius Senft remained at home until he
attained the age of sixteen years. On Dec.
27, 1864, he enlisted in Company F, 67th P.
V. I., Second Brigade, Third Division. Sixth
Army Corps. Army of the Potomac, Capt.
Martin K. Flick commanding. At Burke-
ville Station, Va., near Petersburg, Mr. Senft
was wounded, but later took part in many
hotly contested battles and much skirmishing.
At the close of the' war he received his honor-
able discharge, and has a record on which he ,
can look with pride. Seldom, indeed, has a
youth of sixteen years shown more manl\^
bravery in the face of danger, or has been more
honorably mentioned for fidelity to duty.

After his return to Jackson township. Mr.
Senft learned the trade of blacksmith from
George Mummert, of Nashville, and has fol-
lowed that trade since that time. ]\Ir. Senft
came to this locality in 1868. and since his
coming has been very successful in his busi-
ness. In 1868 he married Hilary Lease, daugh-
ter of A\'illiam Lease, and thirteen children



3i6



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PEXXSYLVAXIA



have been born to this union : Jane, William,
Charles, Joseph, Catherine, Ella, Albert, John,
Annie, ]\Iargaret and Mary, and two who died
in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Senft both at-
tend the Lutheran Church. Mr. Senft is a
stanch' Republican, and is influential in town-
ship matters, and has served on the election
TDoard.

ADAM D. MYERS, one of Shrewsbury's
most esteemed citizens, a A-eteran of the Civil
war, formerly a popular teacher and now en-
gaged in a large manufacturing business, was
born in Shrewsbury township, York Co., Pa.,
July 29, 1841, son of John and grandson of
Samuel Myers.

Samuel Myers came of German ancestry.
He was a skilled carpenter and followed his
trade for many years, doing an immense
amount of building and contracting through
Hopewell, Springfield and Shrewsbury town-
ships. He also owned a productive farm which
Tie subsequently disposed of, and moved first
to Indiana county, Pa., and then to Mis-
souri. Later he went back to Indiana county,
and died there aged ninety-three years. He
married a Miss Williams and their children
were: Samuel; John and Henry, twins;
Lydia, who married Mr. Klinefelter, of In-
diana county ; Judith, who married John Hess,
of Indiana county; and Elizabeth, who mar-
ried Peter Fuile, and died in Hopewell town-
ship.

John ;Myers, father of our subject, was
reared at home, and had but few educational
chances. His whole attendance at the public
schools was covered by a period of three
months. With his father he learned the car-
penter's trade, and they worked first together,
and later on, in contracting and building.
Many specimens of his skill can yet be seen in
the substantial buildings all over York county,
where he was well and favorably known. He
continued to take and fill contracts until he
was sixty years old, but after that time did
only shop work, and continued to be active
until his death, at the age of eighty-four years.
He married Elizabeth Diehl, daughter of
Adam and Catherine (Shaeffer) Diehl, who
died aged seventy-four years. They are both
buried in the cemetery at "Shrewsbury. They
wefe members of the Reformed Church, in
which he was a deacon and an elder, and he



also taught many years in the Sunday-school.
In early life he was a strong Whig in his po-
litical convictions, and later became a mem-
ber of the Republican party. The children born
to Mr. and Mrs. Myers were: Lydia, wife of
Andrew Bashington, lives at Hametown ; Cath-
erine died unmarried, in November, 1905 ;
Louisa is the wife of George F. Seitz, of Glen
Rock ; Adam D. ; Henry D., a resident of this
township, married Catherine Koller; and Sam-
uel died aged two years.

Adam D. Myers attended the Diehl school
near his home until he was fifteen years old,
and then went to learn the mill-wright trade,
with Aaron Klinefelter, in Shrewsbury town-
ship. He worked at this for two years, and
then enlisted for service in the Civil war, en-
tering Company K, i66th P. V. I. During
the nine months of his term of enlistment he
served mainly on guard duty, and was mus-
tered out at Camp Curtin, July 28, 1863. On
the day following he became the victim of
an accident. One of his comrades accidentally
discharged his rifle and the ball struck Mr.
Myers near the knee of his left leg. This ter-
rible accident sent him to a hospital for nine
months and resulted in the loss of his leg from
the knee. After passing through many perils
and dangers and serving with cheerfulness and
courage through hardships it seemed a sad fate
to have to suffer when just ready to return to
peaceful pursuits again. A weary year passed
before he regained strength to engage in any
pursuit.

As soon as sufficiently convalescent, Mr.
Myers completed his education in the acade-
mies at Glen Rock and Loganville, and then
began to teach school. He taught four terms
at the Seitz school in Springfield township and
the Diehl school in Shrewsbury township, and
was then appointed, through his. friends, by
the United States Government, storekeeper in
the distillery of \\'ashington Ruby, where he
remained for three years. After leaving
Shrewsbury he went to Glen Rock and em-
barked in a boot, shoe and notion business, re-
maining there for eleven years, and during this
period he became one of the leading men of the
town, serving as chief burgess, councilman,
justice of the peace and borough treasurer. In
the spring of 1881 he bought his present home
of eleven acres of land, on the old Peter File
farm, which he added to the fortv acres he



BIOGRAPHICAL



317



bought from his father, making his property a
tidy httle farm of fifty-one acres. In addition
to operating this farm, since 1896 Mr. Myers
has been engaged in the manufacture of cart
saddles, his annual output being some 500
dozen.

On Dec. 26, 1869, ^ir. ^Slyers was married
in the city of York, by Rev. William M. Bahn,
to Mary E. Weaver. She died March 19,
1876, at the age of thirty-eight years, and was
interred at Glen Rock. The two children of
this marriage were : Charles K., a resident of
Shrewsbury township, who married Lizzie
Grove; and Harry M., unmarried, who lives
at home. The last named served nine months
in the Spanish-American war, a member of
Company I, 8th Pennsylvania Volunteers, and
received his honorable discharge on March 7,
1899.

Mr. Myers was married (second) to Mary
Folscokomer, a daughter of Daniel Folscoko-
mer, a well-known farmer of Shrewsbury
township, and these children have been born to
them: Annie G., who is the wife of J. L. Fair,
of Glen Rock; A. F., who is assistant in the
manufacturing business ; Alice E. ; Ida M. ;
Emma J. ; Lydia, wife of Daniel Bowman, of
Hopewell township ; Mary L. ; Daniel F. and
Clara A. All of Mr. Myers' unmarried chil-
dren reside at home. They have been af-
forded excellent educational opportunities and
have grown up creditable members of the com-
munity. In politics Mr. Myers is identified
with the Republican party. From youth he has
been a member of the Reformed Church, and
one of its leading elders. He is a man of hon-
orable motives, and one who stands very high
in the estimation of his fellow citizens.

WILLIAM H. WTEST. manager of the
household and furnishing goods department
of the well known Bon Ton department store,
of York, Pa., is a native of that city, born Alay
17, 1850, son of Michael and Sarah (Beck-
heimer) Wiest.

William H. Wiest received his preliminary
education in the public schools of his native
place, supplementing this with a course at the
York County Academy. In 1865 he engaged
in business with his uncle, Peter Wiest, on
^larket street, with whom he continued three
years. In 1870 he engaged in the baking busi-
ness, and continued in this for six years, at



the end of which time he changed his busi-
ness and engaged in the grocery and house-
furnishing business, in which he continued for
twenty-one years, at the end of which time he
engaged with the Kay W. Kay department
store continuing for five and one-half years,
or until 1902. In that year he came to his
present place, the well known Bon Ton store,
where he has charge of the household g(3ods
and furniture.

In 1 87 1 Air. Wiest was united in marriage
with Miss 2\Iary A. Fisher, daughter of Jacob
E. and Elizabeth (Zimmerman) Fisher, and to
this union have been born the following chil-
dren : Rev. Charles F., attended the York
County Academy, later graduated from the
Gettysburg College, and is now a Lutheran
minister at Hay City, Kans. ; Harry E. is a
skilled mechanic living at home; Horace, alsa
a skilled mechanic, married in December. 1905,.
Miss Mable Gotwalt, daughter of Charles
and Deliah Gotwalt, and is residing at No.
220 West Jackson street; and Helen E. Mr.
Wiest resides at Xo. 232 West Market street,
his father making his home with him. Relig-
iously he is a member of Zion Lutheran
Church. In political matters he is a stanch
Republican.

GEORGE T. SHAULL was born on his
present farm in East Hopewell township, Oct.
23, i860. He received his education in the
]\IcLain township school, from which he was



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 60 of 201)