Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 64 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 64 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


is now Brogueville Station, and then removed
to Mine Branch, Harford Co., Md., where the
remainder of his life was spent; Jennie married
William Smith, and emigrated to Cleveland.
Ohio, where her husband became judge of the
courts; Rachel married Robert Watson, went
to Ohio at an early day, and settled near Cadiz,
wdrere both she and her husband died: David
was drowned in Gro\'e's Mill race when a young
man ; William married Margaret Anderson and
spent most of his life just south of Stewarts-
town, the Maryland line running through his
farm; John married Margaret Liggett, an:l
spent his life in East Hopewell township ; and
Robert was the father of our subject.

Robert Wilson was born at the old home-
stead Dec. 29, 1794, and grew to manhood
there. He attended the pay schools of his day.
and after leaving school engaged in farming,
in which occupation he continued all his life.
He received the home tract of 194 acres, re-
maining there until his death Sept. 14, 1878.
On Nov. II. 1828, Robert Wilson married
Alargaret Grove, born in Fawn township, near
Muddy Creek Forks, July 15, 1803, daughter
of Francis and Jeannette (Williamson) Grove,
and she died May 3, 1879. Robert and his
wife were life-long members of the Round Hill
Presbyterian Church, in which he was an elder
for fifty years, an office wdiich he held at the
time of his death. They were interred in the
family burying ground on the farm. :\Ir. Wil-
son was originally a Whig, but died a Repub-
lican. The children born to Mr. and JMrs. Wil-
son were: Mary Jane, born Dec. 12. 1830,
died single: James, born July i, 1832, married
Martha Mary \\'ilson, and resides on the plank
road in Hopewell township ; Francis G. is mem-
tioned below; John Thomas, born Jan. 18,
1837, married Feb. 5, 1863, Miss Adelaide
Penny, of Lancaster county"; Rachel E., born



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY. PENNSYLVANIA



334

^lay 7, 1842, married John Campbell, of Low-
er Chanceford township, where they now re-
side; and Robert Cathcart, born Aug. 2, 1843,
enlisted about Sept. 17, 1864, and fought until
the close of the war as a member of the 30th
P. V. C, under Capt. A. B. Frazer, and died
April 27, 1867.

Francis G. Wilson was born May 26, 1834,
at the old homestead, and there grew to man-
hood. When a young man he worked as a mill-
wright for one year. He started to school at
the "age of six years, and continued his educa-
tion until twenty-one, having been a student for
a time at Stew'artstown Academy. He began
teaching in the public schools of Harford coun-
ty, jSId., in 1856, beginning with the spring
term, and teaching nine months there, and he
then 'taught in Lower Chanceford township for
one session, and then two sessions at the home
school, continuing teaching for seventeen years.
During the summer months he remained at
home farming. His father made provision m
his Will that the farm might be divided into
three sections, one section to go to each son.
James, the eldest, chose the homestead tract,
our subject took the lower end, and John T.,the
youngest, took the western part. Mr. Wilson s
tract consists of fifty acres, upon which he
erected his home in 1879, and moved into it m
January, 1880. In the spring of the same year
he erected his barn, and he also put up other
farm buildings, and since that time he has con-
tinued there, engaged in general farming.

Mr. Wilson was married Sept. 22, 1870,
to Miss Mary J. Baird, born Sept. 28, 1844,
daughter of Thomas Baird, deceased, a farmer
of Hopewell township, and his wife Susan
(Hartman) Baird. These children have been
born to Mr. and Mrs. Wilson: (i) Margaret
Elizabeth, born Aug. 16, 1871, was a teacher
for seven years: she married E. W. Ramsay,
and they reside in Pittsburg, Pa. (2) Susanna
Florence, born March 10, 1873, was educated
at Stewartstown Academy and Millersville
Normal, and was a teacher in the public scTiools
for six or seven years ; she married James K.
Grove, of Muddy Creek Forks. (3) John
Milton, born Feb. 23, 1875, attended Stewarts-
town Academy, has been teaching for the past
ten years, beginning teaching at the age of
eighteen years, and is now principal of the pub-
lic schools of Stewartstown, and has a private
school during the summer. He was a candi-
вЦ† date for prothonotary on the Republican ticket.



and although in a strong Democratic county
was defeated by but a small majority. He mar-
ried Ella Waltemyer. (4) Mary Roberta,
born Oct. 30, 1876, was educated in the public
schools ana Stewartstown Academy, and taught
school five years ; she married Lawrence M.
Brown and resides in Fawn township. (5)
Francis Garfield, born March 24, 1880, is at
home operating the farm. (6) Blanche Ade-
laide^ born Oct. 12, 1884, has taught "school
two sessions, and is now at the Millersville
Normal school. (7) Rachel Estella, born Oct.
26, 1886, is at home.

Mr. Wilson and his family are Presbyter-
ians in their religious faith. He is a Repub-
lican in politics, has been a school director for
six years, has already served six years as town-
ship auditor and has been elected for three
years more.

OLIVER W. KELLER, cashier for the
York Card & Paper Co., one of the successful
industries of York, is a member of the well-
known Keller family, one which has long been
established in York county, the name ever
standing for the highest type of loyal citizen-
ship in each generation.

Peter Keller, grandfather of Oliver W.,
was a successful farmer near Yorkana, this
county, and there continued to reside until his
death.

George Keller, son of Peter, was born and
reared on the old homestead and likewise be-
came a prosperous farmer and influential citi-
zen of Lower Windsor township, and is now
living retired in Delroy, York county. As a
young man he married Miss Charlotte Myers,
who was likewise born and reared in York
county, where her father, Jacob Myers, was a
prominent farmer. The ten children of George
and Charlotte Keller were : Elmira J. and Cal-
vin W. remain at the parental home; Oliver
W. ; Elizabeth D. is the wife of Reuben Fitz-
kee, of Philadelphia : David A. is foreman of a
large cigar factory of Delroy, this county : Reu-
ben A. is a prosperous farmer of Lower Wind-
sor township : Kate is with her parents ; George
H. resides in York, where he is engaged as a
head machinist; Harry P. is a successful teach-
er in the public schools of Lower Windsor
township; and Grace R. is likewise a popular
teacher, and lives at the parental home.

Oliver W. Keller was born on the old
homestead farm, near Yorkana, this county,



BIOGRAPHICAL



335



May I, 1867, spending his boyhood days on
his father's farm. After completing the cur-
ricukim of the pubhc schools he taught one
term in the public school of Windsor township,
after which he entered Bryant & Stratton"s
Business College in the city of Philadelphia,
where he completed a thorough commercial
course and was graduated as a member of the
class of 1888. He initiated his practical busi-
ness career by taking the position of steno-
grapher and bookkeeper for the A. A. Yerkes
Manufacturing Co., in what is now known as
the Codorus Paper Mill, in York. This plant
passed into the control of the paper trusts, and
Mr. Keller then became one of the promoters
of the extensive concern known as the York
Card & Paper Co., in which he was a chartered
stockholder, while he has held the dual office of
bookkeeper and cashier from the time of the
organization of the company, in 1893, to the
present, being recognized as a specially capable
executive and administrative officer. In mat-
ters political we find our subject stanchly ar-
rayed as a supporter of the Republican party
and its principles. Both he and his wife are
consistent members of Zion Lutheran Church,
of York, while they enjoy marked popularity
in the social circles of the community, having
a pleasant home on Philadelphia street.

On May 10, 1892, Mr. Keller was united in
marriage to Miss Annie K. Ziegler, who was
born and reared in York, where her father,
William Ziegler, was a prominent contractor
and builder. Mr. and Mrs. Keller have two
children, Clarence Ziegler and Viola May.

SAMUEL SMITH MANIFOLD, owner
of "Sweet Spring Farm," that fertile farm of
165 acres situated in East Hopewell township,
close to High Rock, is one of the representa-
tive men of this section. This farm is a part
of his grandfather Henry Manifold's farm,
who, however, never lived on this tract, his
life being passed on the part now occupied by
J. J. iManifold.

Benjamin and Ann Eliza (Smith) IMani-
fold, parents of Samuel S., are both deceased.
Benjamin Manifold was born and reared on
his father's farm, and followed agricultural
pursuits all his life. He settled on this farm
about the time of his marriage, and he erected
the present buildings, and, during their con-
struction, his wife frequently carried the work-



men their dinners from the grandfather's
house. He became a prosperous man, was a
stockholder in the old Peach Bottom Railroad
and an influential citizen. He was a strong
Whig and Republican, and it was said that he
missed but two or three elections all his life,
considering it a duty to cast his vote. He
joined the Hopewell Presbyterian Church in
boyhood, and, like other boys of his day, was
more inclined to go bare foot even to public
places, and his shoes were worn only during
the time of service and then were carried home
instead of being worn. Those were days when
a new pair could not be bought just around the
corner. Necessity taught people frugality, and
they were all the better for it. He served as
trustee of this church for some time, and al-
ways was a liberal supporter. He died of par-
alysis in 1898. The mother of our subject
also was active in church relationships. She
united with the Chanceford Presbyterian
.Church in girlhood, but united with the Hope-
well Church after her marriage. She died in
1890, and both she and husband were interred
in the cemetery of that church. Their chil-
dren were: John H., of York; Harry C, a
merchant at High Rock; Amanda Louise, Mrs.
William Liggitt; Samuel Smith; Nettie, Mrs.
J. J. Grove, of York; Lulu May, who died in
1885 ; Ella W., residing with her brother, Sam-
uel S. ; and Tabitha Mary, Mrs. W. W. Kurr,
of this township.

Samuel Smith Manifold was born on this
farm, as noted above, Dec. 26, 1858, and he
was educated in the Collins township school.
When he left school at the age of nineteen
years, his teacher was Miss Maggie Neil, who
is now the Widow Hyson. Mr. Manifold then
enjoyed several months of study at Pleasant
Grove Academy under Prof. James Yeats. Un-
til the death of his father he worked on the
home farm but shortly afterward became its
owner and he has continued here ever since.

Mr. Manifold was married at the home of
his bride in Fawn township, by Rev. R. G.
Pinkerton, Oct. 3, 1901, to Miss Jennie Eliz-
abeth Adams, eldest daughter of Samuel
Adams, Esci-, of Fawn township, a prominent
citizen, and his wife, Sally (Payan) Adams,
both of whom still survive. Mr. and Airs.
Manifold have two children : Jessie Eliza,
born July 11. 1903; and Samuel Benjamin,
born Dec. 31, 1904. Both Mr. Manifold and



336



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



wife are members of the Hopewell Presby-
terian Church. In politics he is a stanch Re-
publican, and he has been called upon at var-
ious times to fill township offices.

JOHN FRY, the successful proprietor of
the "Washington House", just across from the
Pennsylvania railroad station, in York, en-
joys not only a first-class reputation as a land-
lord, but also has one of the most remarkable
military records of any man in York.

Mr. Fry is a son of Conrad Fry, of Co-
dorus township, York Co., Pa., who in his
earlier manhood did freighting, by team, from
York to Baltimore, and it was when engaged
in this business, that, while stopping at one
of the way houses, he met and married Annie
Frey, the daughter of a farmer situated near
the Maryland line. The parents of our sub-
ject had four children: Mathias, a farmer of
York county; Catherine, the wife of John Ken-
dig, of York; Cornelius, who died at the
age of fifty-eight years; and John, our
subject.

John Fry was born on the old homestead
in Codorus township, York county, Jan. 3,
1846, and, his mother having died when he
was three years of age, he was taken to rear by
an uncle in Abbottstown, Adams county, where
he obtained his education in the public schools.
Leaving school Mr. Fry worked as a tanner
until he was eighteen years old, and then en-
listed as a private for a term of five years in
the 3rd U. S. Cavalry. This was Oct. 15,
1863, and at the expiration of the five years,
Mr. Fry returned to Manchester Borough, and
lived with his sister Catherine. In 1869, he
clerked in the "Motter House" for a time,
when he again enlisted for a five-year term
of service. In brief Mr. Fry served three
terms of five years each in the 3rd U. S. Cav-
alry, beginning as a private and being mus-
tered out as sergeant. His first discharge was
at Fort Craig, N. M., and bears the endorse-
ment as to character "Excellent in every re-
spect." The second discharge was from Fort
McPherson, Neb., and the character endorse-
ment is "Very good." The third and last dis-
charge was at Fort Sanders, Wyo., and, like
the first reads "Excellent in every respect."
Mr. Fry has just reason to be proud of these
discharge papers, as well as of the several war-
rants of promotion, from time to time, for
meritorious conduct, and it is safe to say that



no soldier anywhere has a finer record than
Sergeant Fry.

Mr. Fry was proprietor of the "Northern
Central Hotel," on North George street, for
four years, and in about 1891 became the prop-
rietor of the "Washington House," which he
has conducted with great success to the pres-
ent time. The "Washington" has forty large
rooms, and its proximity to the railroad station
makes it a most desirable place.

John Fry was married, Jan. 13, 1881, to
Kate H. Smith, daughter of Jonas Smith, a
miller of Manchester borough, and two chil-
dren were born of this union : Perry, who
died Aug. 30, 1900, aged eighteen years; and
Robert S., who assists his father at the
"Washington House." Mr. Fry belongs to
the Heptasophs, the I. O. R. M., the Union
Fire Co., No. 3, and the Fireman's Relief As-
sociation, and is as popular in these organiza-
tions as he is as a landlord.

GEORGE THRONE (deceased), one of
the most highly valued citizens of Springets-.
bury township, York county, was born Nov.
II, 1853, on the farm which he later owned,
situated two and a half miles east of the city
of York, and there he died Oct. 7, 1885.

Mr. Throne was reared on this farm, and
was educated in the Stony Brook schools, where
he also taught school for four terms. He made
up his mind in early manhood to devote his life
to agricultural pursuits, and thoroughly pre-
pared himself to be a first-class farmer, thus
insuring success. Although not permitted a
long life, he made his years useful, and he was
very popular in his locality, being a man of
upright character, and always willing to pro-
mote the welfare not only of his family, but ^
of his whole locality. |

The late George Throne was a son of Sam- i
uel and Harriet (Green) Throne, both of
whom were born in York county, where their
lives were passed. Samuel Throne purchased
191 acres of good land in Springetsbury town-
ship, which he improved with go^d buildings
and a substantial brick residence. His death
occurred from tetanus, caused by an accident
to one his fingers. He left a family of nine
children : Rebecca, Israel, Catherine, Joseph,
Amos, Samuel, George W., Lydia ancl John.
After his death, his widow erected a good
frame house near the brick one, and this is now
occupied l^y the widow of our subject.



J



BIOGRAPHICAL



337



On Oct. 24, 1872, George W. Throne was
vniited in marriage with Annie E. Heistand,
daughter of Abraham and Leah (Longeneck-
er) Heistand. Seven children were born to
this union, namely : Abraham H., a former
teacher and now a mechanical engmeer re-
siding at Plainfield, N. J., graduated from
Pennsylvania College, GettysDurg, and then
took a fovir-years" course in mechanical en-
gineering, gxaduating in 1900, with the de-
gree of Bachelor 01 Science; Samuel E., a
molder by trade, was educated in the home
schools and York County Academy ; Catherine,
at home, was educated in the home schools
and at York Seminary; Byrd H., who was edu-
cated in the public schools and York County
Academy, and who taught school for a time,
married Carrie Reeser, and farms the home-
stead besides running a thresher; Amos, edu-
cated in the home schools and York County
Academy, married Martha White, and they
have one son, George ; Susan, a graduate of
York College, is at home; and Georgiana, who
attended the home schools and York Collegiate
Institute, resides with her aunts, the Misses
Heistand. In 1900 Mrs. Throne bought her
residence from the family estate, antl has a
very beautiful home.

Abraham Heistand, father of Mrs. Throne,
spent his whole life in this township. By
trade he was a carpenter, which he learned in
opposition to his father, who would have pre-
ferred him to have devoted his life exclusive-
ly, instead of only partially, to farming. He
was a prominent member of the Democratic
party, and served a number of years on the
school board. His death occurred in 1887,
when he was aged seventy-nine years. His
wadow lived until 1899, and died at the age of
ninety-one years. Both parents were worthy
members of the Mennonite Church, good peo-
ple who enjoyed the respect and esteem of all
who knew them. They had these children :
John, of York; Catherine and Sarah, resid-
ing together; Christopher, a farmer of Spring-
field, Ohio ; Abraham, of Springfield, Ohio ;
William, of Springetsbury township : Susan
and Amanda, residing with their sisters : Ja-
cob, of Stony Brook ; Annie, widow of the
late George W. Throne ; the youngest mem-
ber being Alice, wife of John Roreback, of
Hanover.

Both the Throne and Heistand families
are old and prominent ones of this locality.



iioiiorable in business, quiet in life and sup-
porters of education and religion.

SAMUEL S. ALDIXGER. The name
Aldmger is one familiar in most parts of Ger-
many, for the family archives go back almost
to tlie beginning ot the Christian era to 56
A. D., when one Theobauld Aldinger is known
to ha\-e lived in Augsburg. While a complete
genealogy is to be found in the library at
\'ienna, the American descendants have no
record of others of the name till A. D. 500, in
the time of King Rudolph, when Pelagius
and Andrew Aldinger lived in Augsburg. The
family spread to Bavaria and Swabia, and
Switzerland, these lines all going back to Ul-
rich Aldinger, who was high bailiff of Augs-
burg about 1,100, and who left three sons
Nicholas was manager or director of whole-
sale merchants at Leipsic, but afterward went
back to Augsburg". His descendants through
his four sons, scattered through Saxony, Sile-
sia and northern Germany. Theodore, brother
of Nicholas, moved to Cologne on the Rhine,
and became the progenitor of the various
branches in Alsace and Franconia. From him,
too, the American branch traces its descent.

Christof, or Christopher Aldinger, the first
to come to America, was the great-grandfather
of Samuel S. He w-as a farmer and vine
grower in Felbach, Wurteml^erg. He mar-
ried a Miss Rulf, and with his wife and family
started for the New World in 18 17, his pass
given and sealed June nth. They landed at
Philadelphia, but soon went to York county,
where they lived first in Windsor township,
then in Dover township, where Mr. Aldinger
taught school on the present site of Strayer's
Church, and finally they located permanently
in Heidelberg township. There Christopher
Aldinger and his wife both died, and were bur-
ied at Bears JNIeeting House. Their children
were : Margaret, who married Jacob Menger-
talen, and died in Warrington township ; Bar-
bara, who married Mathias Rickley, died in
Warrington township, and was buried in York ;
Christiana, Mrs. Michael Lentz, who died in
York ; Fredericka, Mrs. Christian \\'agner.
who died in Philadelphia ; Elizabeth, who died
in Windsor township, unmarried ; Louisa, who
married Henrj' Welk, and died in York; and
C. Frederick. Cliristopher Aldinger was a
member of the Evano-elical Church.



338



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



C. Frederick Aldinger was born Aug. 14,
1798. He first learned how to make shoes, but
did not follow that trade long, preferring to
work in Mr. Rife's distillery in Adams count)-.
After five years there he worked in Abraham
JNIoyer's distillery in York county, and while
thus engaged married his employer's daughter,
Elizabeth, so named for her mother, Elizabeth
(Erb) Mover. Mrs. Aldinger was a native of
Lancaster county. After his marriage Mr. Al-
dinger lived on a farm near Hanover for four-
teen years, and then bought a farm in York
township. There he remained four years be-
fore selling out, in order to go West and try
farming in Iowa ; but he decided that the East
was a better field after all, and returning home
in a year, he bought a farm adjoining his
former home. In his latter years he retired
from active life and made his home with a
^daughter in Springfield township, where he
died and was buried, his demise occurring
April 6, 1882, at the age of eighty-three years,
seven months and twenty-three days. His
wife, who was born May 4, 1809, passed away
Jan. 3, 1899, aged eighty-nine years, seven
'mon,^:hs and twenty-nine days, and was laid
to rest beside her husband. They had a fam-
ily of ten children, as follows: (T) John M.,
the eldest son, born Oct. 5, 1828, is a shoe-
maker living in York township at Brillhart's
station on the Northern Central Railroad. He
married Miss Julia Emig, and children were
born to them as follows: Elizabeth, July 15,
1856, who died when a little over a year old;
Mary M., Nov. 30, 1857; John F., Aug. 28',
i860; Charles J., March 12, 1863: George A.,
Feb. 13, 1866; Edwin L., March 17, 1868;
Emma L., May 20, 1870; and Catherine R.,
May 4, 1873. (2) Emanuel, born Sept. 26,
1 83 1, married Miss Leah Hummer, and lives
near Davidsburg, Dover township. (3) Ja-
cob, father of Samuel S., was born Feb. 22,
1833. (4) William, born April 7, 1836, mar-
ried Miss Lydia Stiles, and lives in York town-
ship, at Brillhart's Station on the Northern
Central road. (5) Daniel, born Dec. 14, 1837,
married Miss Louisa Koons, and lived in York.
His death occurred Jan. 3, 1884. (6) Bar-
bara, born Oct. 11, 1841, married George Cra-
mer, of Springfield township. ( 7 ) Matthew.
born Dec. 4, 1843, is unmarried, and lives with
his sister, Barbara. (8) Joel died in infancy.
{9) Elizabeth died in infancy. (10) Abraham



born Dec. 21, 1847, married Miss Harriet Stiles
and resides in York.

Jacob Aldmger first attended the township
schools and then the Williams graded school
in York township. On completmg his educa-
tion he taught for about eight years in Man-
chester and Codorus, and then went to farm-
ing, which occupied him for many years. He
bought 217 acres of land in West Manchester
township, and this land in time became part
of the village of Eberton, now West York bor-
ough, and so increased in value that Mr. Ald-
inger sold all but seventy-five acres for build-
ing lots. His own farming land has two fine
dwellings and two large bank barns upon it,
and is splendidly improved. He sold thirty-
one acres in North Codorus township, and five
acres of building lots at Brillhart's Station,
York county. He also owns several fine dwell-
ing houses in York, Pa. He married Eliza-
beth Sprenkel.

Samuel S. Aldinger, son of Jacob, was born
in York township Nov. 10, 1859, and in early
boj'hood attended the public schools. Later he
went to the York County Academy and Juniata
College, Huntingdon, Pa., and studied survey-
ing, a general line of work which he has fol-
lowed ever since he was twenty years old. He
came to West Manchester township in 1878,
and has since made his home there; at present
he resides in a handsome house he has erected
on a part of his father's old farm. By pro-
fession he is a civil engineer, and is engaged
all over the county, as he has built up a fine
reputation for skill and reliability.

Mr. Aldinger chose for his wife. Miss
Mary Gochenour, a daughter of Emanuel and
Susan (Deardofif) Gochenour, of Washington
township. Two sons have been born to them



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 64 of 201)