Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 67 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 67 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Nov. 17, 1840, he wedded Miss Catherine J.
Fauss, daughter of George and Hannah (Lane)
Fauss, and granddaughter on the maternal side,
of Peter and Jane Lane. Three children were
born to Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin Shelly: Han-
nah Alice, born Sept. 21, 1842, now deceased
married Abram Meals, also deceased, and had
children, viz. : Alice Catherine (who married
John H. Stock, and has Ruth, Esther, Evelyn,
Mabel and Paul D.), Cora M. (who married
William Bahn, and has one child, Mildred),
Lottie V. (who married William Brough, and
has no children), Hayes M. (who married
William Jacobs, who has one son, Murray F.
M.) and Georgia (who married Elmer Rich-
wine) : Daniel F., born May 20, 1846, married
Miss Catherine Bream, and has one child, Nel-
lie C. ; and Hiram Clayton. Mrs. Catherine
J. (Fauss) Shelly has passed the eighty-fifth
milestone in life's joiu-ney, and now makes her
home with her son, Hiram Clayton.

Hiram Clayton Shelly Avas born in Adams
county, Nov. 22, 1852. He attended school
there and in York Springs, and after complet-
ing his education, he spent three years in the
milling business. Returning to the farm, he
worked there until the death of his father in
1889, which left the entire charge of the place
upon his shoulders. He remained tmtil 1902,
when he bought his present farm of thirty-six
acres in Carroll townshii), which has been a
part of the Peter Shaeffer estate. He has
brought the place to a hig^h state of cultivation,
and with its pleasant dwelling it makes a niodel
farm.



BIOGRzVPHICAL



349



]\Ir.- Shelly was married, Sept. lo, 1878, to
]\Iiss Rebecca W'ierman Ditmer, and their only
son. Benjamin Kieffer Shelly, was born June
26. 1887. In politics Mr. Shelly is a Repub-
lican, and has filled the office of township as-
sessor.

The Ditmer Family, to which Mrs. Shelly
belongs, is an old one and allied with many of
the other well known lines in that part ot the
State. Her parents- were Henry F. and Mary
(W'ierman) Ditmer, and she was one of eight
children born to them. ( i ) Sarah A. is the
wife of Jacob F. Lehmer. a justice of the peace,
surveyor and farmer in Carroll township. (2)
Mary married John C. Garretson, and lives in
Iowa. They had nine children of whom eight
are living. (3) Catherine J. became the wife
of ]\Iichael H. Baker, both now deceased.
Their children were : John A., who married
Miss Ida Coder; Obed, who married
i\Iiss Clara Wise; George G., deceased, whose
wife was Miss Alda Bingamon; Mary E., wife
of Oscar E. Bruehl ; and Norah, deceased, was
the wife of Smith Smock, and left one child,
Cecil. (4) Frederick W. married Miss Susan
\\'iley and had three children, Sarah Grace,
Harry and Nellie Rebecca. ( 5) Susan H. mar-
ried Christopher Hershey. (6) Lydia M. mar-
ried Lewis Arnold, of York county, and their
children were: James D. ; Mary E., who mar-
ried Cleason C. Kimmel, and had three chil-
dren, \\'illiam G., Lewis and Alta; Henry D.,
who married Miss Doll Freeland, and had one
son, Freeland ; Clayton S. ; Richard L. ; and
Naomi L. (7) Rebecca ^^'ierman Ijecame Mrs.
Hiram Clayton Shelly. (8) Emma died
young. Mrs. Shelly's paternal grandparents
were Frederick and Sarah (Vogelsong) Dit-
mer, while on the maternal side she was de-
scended from her great-grandfather Dr. Will-
iam Wierman, through his son Elisha, \\dio
married Miss Sarah McCreary, daughter of
Mary Underwood, and granddaughter of
Squire Elihu LInderwood.

GEORGE BUSH, foreman of the black-
smithing department of the York Manufactur-
ing Company, at York, Pa., was born Nov.
19. 1842, in Germany, son of John Bush, who
became a well-known citizen of York.

John Bush was born in Germany and learn-
ed the trade of potter there. In 1846 he came
to America, landing at Baltimore, but not re-



maining long in that city. On coming to York
county he settled at Freytown, which is now a
part of the city of York, and here he engaged
ni work at his trade in association with George
Ffaltzgraff. After a period of about eight
years he bought out Mr. Pfaltzgraff, but sold
out in 1854, and bought the property of Fred-
erick Schatzberger, and contmued to carry on
a pottery business until 1878. For several
years prior to his death, he lived retired, dy-
ing at the age of eighty-five years. His re-
mains were laid to rest in the Prospect Hill
cemetery.

John Bush married Martha Elizabeth
Pfaltzgraft, who was also born in Germany and
was reared by an aunt. She died in York aged
sixty-eight years, and was buried by the side
of her husband. Both were members of the
Dunkard Church. They had these children:
Conrad, John, George, Katherine. Emanuel
and Charles.

George Bush accompanied his father and
mother to America, being at that time about
four years of age, and he attended the common
schools in York until he was fourteen. Then
he began to work for his father at the pottery
business during the winter seasons, and for
neighboring farmers during the summers,
mainly in Spring Garden township, and during
this time he became a snare drummer in the
Spring Garden Band.

In 1861 Mr. Bush enlisted in a regimental
band for a service of three years, but later, by
Act of Congress, the band was made a brigade
band, and they shortly afterward returned
home. He then learned the blacksmith's trade,
which he has followed ever since, a period of
forty years, for the past fifteen of which he has
been with the York Manufacturing Company,
and for eight years has been foreman of his
department. This is one of the largest smith-
ing shops in the city. In 1864, the war still
continuing, Mr. Bush decided to again enlist
and in March of that year he became a meml^er
of Gen. Hartranft's Brigade Band, First Bri-
gade, Third Division. Ninth Army Corps, and
as such assisted in the capture of Gen. Lee"s
forces on April 14, 1865. He was mustered
out from his first enlistment at Cumberland.
Md.. and from the second, at Harrisburg,
Pennsylvania.

In 1863 Mr. Bush was married to Amelia.
Jane Shearer, daughter of Amos Shearer, of



350



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



York, who died Dec. 8, 1897, and was buried
at Prospect Hill. They had these children :
Annie Laurie, wife of Samuel Platts, of York;
Charles A., who married Nora "VVitmer; Ellen
Jane, who married William Glassie; Kate A.,
who married Frank Baker ; George E., who
married Sevilla Kissinger; John Franklin, who
married Annie Wise, but is now deceased, hav-
ing been run over by a heavy wagon, when but
twenty-two years old; Minnie D., who died
young; Martha, who married Ferdinand Wit-
mer; Mary V., who married Clarence Wood-
ling; Carrie I., who married Harry Groover;
and Elmer, unmarried. Mr. Bush, was mar-
ried (second) June 19, 1900, to Emily Carroll
Moorhead, widow of J. N. Moorhead, who was
a member of the 87th regiment during the
Civil war, and he left three children, namely :
Miriam, a teacher in York; Marcus C. and
James E. There is no issue to the second mar-
riage of Mr. Bush.

Mr. Bush has been a life-long Democrat
and has been a verv prominent and useful mem-
ber of his party. He possesses the confidence
of his fellow citizens, as has been shown on
numerous occasions when he has been elected
to responsible offices. He was treasurer of
Spring Garden township, and when Freytown
was admitted to the city of York, he was one of
the first councilmen of the Twelfth ward. For
a period of seventeen years he was a director
of the Freytown Building Association, which
was a very important business factor in the
improvement of that part of the city. He has
always taken a deep interest in the various
civic organizations which are for the mainten-
ance of good order and pviblic safety, and he
served for a great number of years as the ef-
ficient president of the Goodwill Fire Company.
Mr. Bush has also svtpported educational
measures and religious movements. For many
years he has been a consistent member of St.
Mark's Lutheran Church, in which he has been
an elder for the past ten years. Mr. Bush is
acknowledged to be a man of intellectual as
well as business ability, and is reckoned with
the men of whom it is said his word is as good
as his bond in any kind of a transaction.

ELI S. KELLER was born Dec. 20, 1864,
in Codorus township, son of John H. Keller
and a grandson of Jacob Keller.

In Jacob Keller was found one of the sub-



stantial, reliable men of this section of York
county. For many years he carried on farming
in the vicinity ot Bonair. He married Lydia
Hoover, who died at the age of eighty-three
years, while his death occurred at the age of
seventy years. Both were buried at Fishel's
Churcn ui Shrewsbury township. Their chil-
aren were: William, Jacob, Elizabeth, John
H., Lydia, Rebecca, Lavina and Celia.

John H. Keller was born in Codorus town-
ship and attended the local schools. When his
education was completed he learned the car-
penter's trade, which he followed for some
years, and then entered into the employ of the
Glen Rock planing-mill, where he had his home
for thirty years. His farm he bought in Co-
dorus township of his father-in-law, and it is a
well cultivated tract of sixty-eight acres, im-
proved by new and substantial buildings. His
death took place in 1897, at the age of sixty
years. He married Elizabeth Sheffer, daughter
of Adam and Susan (Ruhl) Sheffer. The
mother of our subject still resides on the home
farm. The children of the above union were:
Eli S., of this sketch ; and Sourie M., wife of
Harry Fritz, who lives in the Sixth district,
Baltimore county, Maryland.

Eli S. Keller attended the township schools
until he was seventeen years of age, when he
took charge of his father's farm w^hich he is
still operating, and he is looked upon as one of
the most sensible and thorough farmers of this
neighborhood.

Mr. Keller has been married twice, his first
wife, Rosa Cullings having died in 1890. She
was the mother of five children, namely: Es-
tella L. ; Carrie F., wdio is a student at Glen-
ville Academy; Harry, deceased; and Melrow
and Monrow, twins, both deceased. He mar-
ried (second) Maggie Werner, who died in
1900, leaving one child, Alice.

In politics Mr. Keller is a Democrat. He
has served the township very satisfactorily as
school director, and was one of the leading men
to advocate the erection of the Glenville high
school. He is a member of the Reformed
Church at Stiltz, in which he has been a dea-
con. For a considerable period he has been an
active member of Camp No. 493, P. O. S. of
A., at Bonair, and was its first vice-president.

WELLS WHIP COMPANY, which car-
ries on one of the thriving industries of Wells-



BIOGRAPHICAL



351



ville, York Co., Pa., was first established in
1837 in York, under the style of Mclntire &
Wells, and in 1845 the busmess was re-estab-
lished, with headquarters and factories at
Wellsville, under the name of Wells, Riddle &
Co. This firm existed until 1864, when the
firm was re-organized under the name of A.
& |. E. Wells, these partners being the found-
ers" of Wellsville. This company existed until
1871, when Abram Wells died, and the firm
name was changed to J. E. Wells & Co., J. G.
Wells being admitted as a partner. In the fall
of 1878 J. E. Wells retired and the firm was
then styled as J. G. Wells & Co., from which
it was changed to the \\' ells Whip Company,
after one year, and continued under this name
until 1887. In this year the firm was incorpor-
ated, and these officers were elected: T. B.
Hoover, president, and R. J. Belt, secretary
and treasurer, and in 1890 J. Milligan was
elected secretary.

The firm manufactures all kinds of whips,
and employs on an a^-erage eighty ^ to
one hundred hands, also engaging thirty
men as traveling salesmen. The output is
about 300 dozen whips per day. In. 1 891 the
plant was destroyed by fire, and was rebuilt in
1902 on its present site, only to be again to-
tally destroyed. The former plants were of
frame, but in 1902 after the last fire, they were
rebuilt, and native field stone was used in the
construction. The main factory is 262x40
feet, with two wings 60x40, and a center wing
50x30 feet. It is two stories in height, has a
sixty-horse power boiler and a fifty-horse pow-
er engine. The firm owns its own electric light
plant and water plant, and fully ec[uipped pat-
tern works. The company finds sale for its
goods in all States of the Union, commanding
the bulk of the trade through the East and
^Middle West. The business is increasing
rapidly, and it can truly be called one of Penn-
sylvania's great industries.

GEORGE W. ENGLE, engaged in farm-
ing and fruit growing in jMonaghan township,
was born Dec. 15, 1843, i" this township, son
of Henry and Nancy (Lauck) Engle.

The Engle family probably originated in
France, but Henry Engle, the father of our
subject, was born where his entire life was
spent, in Pennsylvania. His business was that
of carpentering and contracting, and he



always bore the reputation of being the
best mechanic of his locality. From Lan-
caster he came to York county, and many of
the most substantial buildings in this township
attest his skill. His death occurred at Pitts-
burg in 1857, from an attack of cholera. His
children were: Lydia A., Catherine, George
W., Leah, Hattie and twins who died young.
Besides George W., the only survivor is Leah,
who married George Leidy, now deceased,
who was a soldier of the Civil war. Both
Henry Engle and wife were members of the
Reformed Church. In politics he was a Whig.
His widow died March 9, 1864.

George W. Engle was but a small boy when
his father died. Circumstances caused his
early life to be one of great hardship. He was
only ten years old when he was bound out to
Michael i^dumper, now deceased, and he re-
mained in that family until he was eighteen
years of age. Then he started to learn the
carpenter's trade, but had been engaged only
one year when the Civil war broke out. On
May 15, 1 861, he enlisted for the three months'
service, in Company C, i6th P. V. L, under
Capt. Deisheimer, of Mechanicsburg, and after
serving through the first term, just as readily
enlisted again, this enlistment being in Com-
pany H, 9th P. V. C, and dating from Oct.
28, 1 86 1, for three years. When discharged
he re-enlisted again in the same regiment, in
January, 1864, determined to be faithful as
long as his country was in danger, and he con-
tinued in the army until the final close of the
war. During all this time he had been in
danger a thousand times, and once had his
horse shot from under him from which he sus-
tained injuries from which he has never re-
covered. He belonged to a gallant regiment
which participated in 164 engagements, enter-
ing with the full cjuota of 1400 men, coming
out with but 300.

After the close of the war Mr. Engle re-
turned to Cumberland county where he worked
for a short time at farming, and then entered
into the milling business, at which he continued
for thirty 3'ears. As a miller probably few men
in the township can excel 'Sh. Engle, his long
experience making him familiar with both the
old and the modern methods of milling. Fin-
ally he decided to settle down to small farm-
ing and fruit growing, and purchased his pres-
ent fertile tract of thirty-five acres, to which



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



he has given close attention ever since. He
raises smaU grain and, grows fruit, and is sur-
rounded with aU that makes hfe comfortable.

]\Ir. Engle has been twice married. On
Nov. 4, 1S09, he was united to Amanda C.
Firestone, daughter of George Firestone, and
the twelve children born to this union were :
Agnes, Lucinda, Etta, Bertha, Samuel, Jacob,
Lizzie M., Milton, Carrie, Ira, Albert W. and
Iva. The mother of these children died March
26, 1894, aged forty-five years. Mr. Engle
was married (second), Sept. 26, 1895, to Mrs.
George Myers, widow of George Myers and
formerly Miss Sarah Ellen Byers. Four chil-
dren had been born to Mrs. Engle's first mar-
riage, viz. : Bertha, Effie, Maud and Delilah,
deceased. ]Mr. and Mrs. Engle have had these
children : Calvin, Mary, Clara, Harry and
Georgia Irene.

In politics Mr. Engle is a Republican. In
religious belief he is a German Baptist. He is
a man who has made his own way in the world,
and has gained what he possesses, and secured
the respect of his fellow citizens through his
own industry and honest methods.

HARRISON CLAY WIEST SHELLEY,
of York, Pa., has descended from some of the
oldest and best families of York county, on
both the paternal and maternal sides, extend-
ing back many generations in this country. He
came through a line of fighters. His grand-
father, Michael Shelley, born in 1793, served
in the war of 1812, and died in 1865, at the
age of seventy-one years. He married Cath-
erine Bott, and their children were : Martin,
Susan, William, Annie, Josiah and Amanda,
all of whom are now deceased, except Josiah.

Josiah Shelley's children are : H. Clay
Wiest; Annie Kate, wife of Edward Sweitzer;
George Robert Albright ; and Susan Amanda
Isabelle, of New York City.

The great-great-grandfather of our sub-
ject, on his mother's side was Lt. Col. Philip
Albright, of Revolutionary fame, who had a
good record. He was the son of George and
Barbara Albright, who arrived in Philadelphia,
Oct. 16, 1732, on the "William and Mary,"
Constable Tymperton, Master, from Rotter-
dam, with their three sons: Antoni, Hans and
Peter; Philip being born after their arrival in
America. Lt. Col. Philip Albright married
Anna Maria Ursula Dinkel, daughter of a



nobleman, Johann Daniel Dinkel, and his wife,
Maria Ursula (Von Ernest) Dinkel, of Stras-
burg, who arrived in Philadelphia with their
children on the "Thistle," from Rotterdam,
Aug. 29, 1730.

Jacob Wiest, grandfather of H. C. W. Shel-
ley, served his country in the Civil war, as cap-
tain of Company H, 200th Regiment, during
its existence and its time in service. He col-
lected many relics from the battle field, some of
which, with his sword which he used in service,
are now in the possession of our subject. After
the war, the survivors of Captain Wiest's com-
pany presented him a beautiful swoi'd, for
the honor in which they held him. He served
as associate judge of the county courts of York,
being appointed by Governor Geary to fill an
unexpired term. He was a charter member and
one of the founders of Heidelberg Reformed
Church. He married Susan E., daughter of
George Albright, and they had three children :
Elizabeth Ann, who married Josiah Shellev;
Susan A., wife of Jacob Hose, now chief of
police of York; and Harrison Clay, all now
deceased. The latter enlisted at Lincoln's first
call for troops, going out with the company
known as the York Rifles (first defenders).
He afterward enlisted in Company A, 107th
P. V. I., and was wounded in the battle of An-
tietam, Sept. 17, 1862, from the effects of
which he died. By an act of the Assembly the
State gave to each member of the York Rifles,
or their descendants, a bronze medal, for pat-
riotism, and one of these Mr. Shellev possesses.

Harrison Clay Wiest Shelley was born Oct.
30, 1863; at No. 216 West Market street, in
the borough of York, Pa., eldest son of Josiah
and Elizabeth Ann (Wiest) Shelley, was edu-
cated in the schools- of York and the York
County Academy, and in July, 1878. entered
the printing office of the York Dailv. to learn
the trade of printing. After a few years at this
trade he began to learn chain-making, in the
Keystone Chain Works, of Mumper & Walker.
He afterward became foreman of this plant
with the firm of John C. Schmidt & Co. He
later went to Philadelphia, and entered a gro-
cery and delicatessen business, and on his re-
turn to his native town resumed printing,
holding positions in the following offices : Delta
Herald, Delta, Pa. ; the York Daily Publishing
Co., and the Hubley Printing Co. In October,
1900, he accepted a position with the Morning



BIOGRAPHICAL



353



Republican, West Chester, Fa., and later with
the Ketterhnus Lithograph ^lanufacturing
Co., of Philadelphia. Returning again to York
he entered the employ of the Aiapie Press Co.,
at which place he operated the hrst automatic
feeding machine attached to a printing press,
erectecl in York. He is now in the employ of
the Gazette Co., and is in charge of the press-
room of their large and up-to-date plant, of
which branch of the trade he has been making
a specialty for the past ten years.

Mr. Shelley was reared in the faith of the
Reformed Church, and is a consistent member
of Heidelberg Reformed congregation, of which
for a number of years he served as deacon,
and as superintendent of the Sunday-school.
Mr. Shelley served a term as a member of the
board of directors of the Y. AL C. A. He be-
longs to the York County Historical Society.
Society.

On Sept. 24, 1885, Mr. Shelley was united
in marriage wath Ruth Ella Trout, daughter
of David and Hannah Hester (Rockholdj
Trout, natives of York, and descendants of
English and German ancestry. 'Sir. Shelley
is a man in whom everyone places the utmost
confidence and regards with esteem.

WADE W. McCLUNE, secretary of the
school district comprising the city of York, is
a son of one of the oldest and most honored
members of the Bar of York county.

Wade W. McClune was born in the city
of York, July 2, 1879, 'ind after completing the
curriculum of the public schools he entered the
York Collegiate Institute. Wlien his school
days were ended, he served an apprenticeship
at the trade of carriage painting, becoming a
skilled workman, and he continued to follow
his trade as a vocation for a period of five years.
During the ensuing five years he was a sales-
man for the Grand Union Tea Company, with
headquarters at A'ork, and at the expiration of
the interval noted, in February, 1901, he was
elected to his present position as secretary of
the York City school district, in which he has
proved in a significant way the wisdom which
led to his being chosen for the office, whose
affairs he handles with distinctive judgment
and efficiency. Mr. McClune is a member of
the Rescue Fire Company, and the Firemen's
Relief Association of York, while he is a zeal-
ous and valued member of Calvary Presbyter-



ian Church, un whuse board uf trustees he has
served some tune, in politics he is a stalwart
advocate of the principles and policies of the
Democratic party, and on various occasions he
has been called upon to serve as judge, inspector
or clerk of elections in the Eighth ward, while
he has been trec|uently a member of the ward
committee of his party, and a delegate from his
district to the county conventions. When only
twenty-one years of age Mr. McClune was ap-
pointed judge of the election board by Judge
Bitteng-er, and he is recognized as one of the
most ardent and loyal young Democrats of
his native city, while he enjoys marked popular-
ity in both business and social circles.

On May 30, 1894, Mr. McClune married
^liss Annie Campbell, daughter of David
Campbell, a well-known citizen of York, and
of this union have been born three children,
Hugh Harold, Laura Elmira and Jennie Elea-
nore.

GEORGE M. LEADER. Most attractive-
ly located along the Baltimore pike road, in
York township, is the fine farm and home of
George M. Leader, a native son of York coun-
ty. He was born on the parental homestead
farm, in York township, Jan. 26, 1858, and is
a representative of the fourth, possibly the
fifth, generation of the family in York county.

Frederick Leader, his great-grandfather,
was one of the prominent pioneer farmers of
Lower Chanceford township, but the records
extant do not indicate the place of his birth or
whether his parents came to this county. It
is conjectured, however, that he was born in
this county, in which event it becomes evident
that the family \\'as among those very early
established in this now opulent and favored sec-
tion of the old Keystone State. From Lower
Chanceford township Frederick Leader re-
mo\-ed to York township, where he secured a
tract of 250 acres of land, near the Dietz mill,
and there he passed the remainder of his life,
his remains having been laid to rest in the cem-
etery of the United Brethren Church at Spry.

George Leader, son of Frederick and grand-
father of our subject, was born in Lower
Chanceford township, and was a boy at the
time of the family's removal to York township,
where he was reared to manhood, receiving
good educational advantages for his day, as
is e\ident from the fact that when a



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYL,VANIA



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 67 of 201)